PDA

View Full Version : Subbuteo

Keith_M
02-04-2020, 10:09 AM
In this football free world, it's amazing how much you miss it and how people look for replacements.

It's now getting so bad that I'm even regretting getting rid of my Subbuteo game from all those decades ago.

tamig
02-04-2020, 10:13 AM
In this football free world, it's amazing how much you miss it and how people look for replacements.

It's now getting so bad that I'm even regretting getting rid of my Subbuteo game from all those decades ago.

Still got all my gear and got back into it a few years ago. Some excellent stuff available nowadays equipment wise too but the old stuff is all still available on ebay. You could lose yourself for hours on there searching out old Subbuteo stuff. Not a bad time to be doing it. You could build up a collection again quite easily 😀

Keith_M
02-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Still got all my gear and got back into it a few years ago. Some excellent stuff available nowadays equipment wise too but the old stuff is all still available on ebay. You could lose yourself for hours on there searching out old Subbuteo stuff. Not a bad time to be doing it. You could build up a collection again quite easily 😀

How about this (https://static.turbosquid.com/Preview/2019/09/20__13_08_19/SubbuteoStadium_NewDesign_01.jpg30EDB83E-6B88-4873-8342-CE6FD56F5396Default.jpg) one.

:greengrin

Kaff
02-04-2020, 10:36 AM
How about this (https://static.turbosquid.com/Preview/2019/09/20__13_08_19/SubbuteoStadium_NewDesign_01.jpg30EDB83E-6B88-4873-8342-CE6FD56F5396Default.jpg) one.

:greengrin

You wouldn't want to kneel on that!

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 10:37 AM
https://friendsofwarristoncemetery.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/img_3381.jpg?w=680

tamig
02-04-2020, 11:02 AM
https://friendsofwarristoncemetery.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/img_3381.jpg?w=680

Excellent. I’ve got the original ref 45 heavyweights as in your pic and have a few hand painted modern efforts that I did myself.

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Excellent. I’ve got the original ref 45 heavyweights as in your pic and have a few hand painted modern efforts that I did myself.

Sounds good. Are you showing us? :greengrin

Keith_M
02-04-2020, 11:24 AM

OMG... is that yours?

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 11:31 AM
OMG... is that yours?

:agree: Sure is.

Lancs Harp
02-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Still got my original Hibs team from the 70s.

Subbuteo teams make a good £20/£30/£40 on ebay.

I must have had 15/16 teams. Still got 4 of them!!

zitelli62
02-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Used to get my teams from toy shop in leith walk cant remember the name maybe where KFC is now or roundabout there I used to get a poster with all the teams on it and apart from the obvious hibs had lots of teams and my second favourite was Zaire for some strange reason cant remember why great memories though.

linlithgowhibbie
02-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Anyone remember the taller thin/flat players with the smaller base? They were being phased out in mid 60s.
I learnt my skills with them.
Sorry no pictures as they are long gone.
Also the ball used to be bigger than the players probably about an inch in height.

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 11:52 AM

If you have a particularly rare team you can expect to gain £100-£150 or so.

The Count
02-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Thats when games were proper games with actual humsn skills involved.Love it but unfortunately with computers will never become popular again.Memory if i recall the inventor was a serious bird watcher hence called his game after a hawk.Might be an old urban myth though.

linlithgowhibbie
02-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Used to get my teams from toy shop in leith walk cant remember the name maybe where KFC is now or roundabout there I used to get a poster with all the teams on it and apart from the obvious hibs had lots of teams and my second favourite was Zaire for some strange reason cant remember why great memories though.

Harburn Hobbies up nearer Elm Row?

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Morley's? That's where I bought my first team - and lots of others.

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Anyone remember the taller thin/flat players with the smaller base? They were being phased out in mid 60s.
I learnt my skills with them.
Sorry no pictures as they are long gone.
Also the ball used to be bigger than the players probably about an inch in height.

Do you mean the really flat, 2-dimensional players? Celuloid? https://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/celluloid-team-ref-45-hibernian-mint-no-bases

tamig
02-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Sounds good. Are you showing us? :greengrin

I’ll need to try and see if I can upload some pics. I’ve painted a load of teams and screwed my eyes in the process 😎

linlithgowhibbie
02-04-2020, 12:13 PM
yes the flat ones, but their bases were much smaller allowing you to curl your player round your opponents:thumbsup:

tamig
02-04-2020, 12:13 PM

Some of the rarer teams can fetch well into the hundreds.

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Thats when games were proper games with actual humsn skills involved.Love it but unfortunately with computers will never become popular again.Memory if i recall the inventor was a serious bird watcher hence called his game after a hawk.Might be an old urban myth though.

:agree: He was an ornithologist. He originally wanted to call the game "The Hobby" but I think that was seen as a bit bland so ended up using 'Subbuteo' as the latin name for the Hobby (a small bird of prey) is Falco Subbuteo Subbuteo.

tamig
02-04-2020, 12:18 PM
This is a good wee read for anyone interested -

Growing Up with Subbuteo: My Dad Invented the World's Greatest Football Game https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1899807403/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0EDHEbTST5SSB

Argylehibby
02-04-2020, 12:21 PM
I had loads of teams, would often stop off at Petersons in Musselburgh on way home from Easter Rd. and get another team. I also had the 5 a side version which had the wall around it and the pitch material made it fast as Boyler on a motorbike.

Cardinal Hibernian
02-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Seem to remember there was a booklet or poster that listed all the clubs in the country / Europe with a picture of the subbuteo player and all the clubs the team colours represented. There was a least one other club listed with Hibs. Higher numbers were red and blue strips with some having a dozen or so teams listed against them.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Seem to remember there was a booklet or poster that listed all the clubs in the country / Europe with a picture of the subbuteo player and all the clubs the team colours represented. There was a least one other club listed with Hibs. Higher numbers were red and blue strips with some having a dozen or so teams listed against them.

They produced a few of the poster-style catalogues over the years then changed to booklets. In at least one poster-style edition, the Hibs team was listed with Plymouth and Bremer SV (W. Germany).

BS44
02-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Striker is a far better and more skilful game! Striker experts then moved onto the amazing Johhny Hotshot football game.....

inglisavhibs
02-04-2020, 12:55 PM

Those were the days, we had a league in Port Seton. Home games in your house and away games at your mates. Serious stuff!

The Count
02-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Striker is a far better and more skilful game! Striker experts then moved onto the amazing Johhny Hotshot football game.....

Or blow footballl!!!

ShadesLongThrow
02-04-2020, 01:02 PM
I remember getting my dad to add shirt numbers in tiny white Letraset. I think half my players ended up crocked after kneeling on them and had big dods of Airfix glue holding what was left of them to the base. My next door neighbour had the rugby and cricket versions but they were just weird!

The Count
02-04-2020, 01:06 PM
I remember getting my dad to add shirt numbers in tiny white Letraset. I think half my players ended up crocked after kneeling on them and had big dods of Airfix glue holding what was left of them to the base. My next door neighbour had the rugby and cricket versions but they were just weird!

Impressed my players had small numbers on the base at the back of their boots.

ben johnson
Had a serious solo game Brazil v Scotland in front of the fire one cold winter Saturday morning late 60s
Late on in the game I decided it was time for substitutes so I had to take off Pele as I could not spell any other of the Brazilians names on the sheet you gave the referee
Scotland went on to win but you would expect that will Pele back in the team box

NASAHIBS
I had loads of teams, would often stop off at Petersons in Musselburgh on way home from Easter Rd. and get another team. I also had the 5 a side version which had the wall around it and the pitch material made it fast as Boyler on a motorbike.
I had loads of teams and accessories over the years, and had the 5 a-side version with the blue pitch material, plastic corners etc. Sold everything to a guy about 10years ago for a fair price, and it is big business now for the older teams and accessories.

Mikey
02-04-2020, 01:44 PM
I have a set as well, along with the Hibs team.........

Newry Hibs
02-04-2020, 01:47 PM

I remember the Subbuteo hospital had a fair amount of patients at any one time waiting on the 'glue doctor'. Especially when my Granny would crunch her way across the pitch when we visited.

Had the rugby and cricket ones - but they were a bit crap and hardly played (though the goal kicker in rugby was good fun).

hibby6270
02-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Got my first Subbuteo set around 1968 for my birthday from a shop that was on the corner of Easter Road and Sunnyside. Not sure if it was a sport shop or toy shop or combo of both.

It was “The Continental Edition”. It was a step up from the basic set and, if memory serves me right, what made it “Continental” was the goals were fancier and you got ‘diving’ keepers compared to the basic set. I persuaded my dad to stump up the few extra shillings!!

Of course, all you got were the red team and the blue team. Pocket money was saved and used over the next few years to buy extra team sets. Hibs #45 was probably the first extra one I bought. Maybe acquired another dozen or so after that.

Happy days!!

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 03:00 PM
Got my first Subbuteo set around 1968 for my birthday from a shop that was on the corner of Easter Road and Sunnyside. Not sure if it was a sport shop or toy shop or combo of both.

It was “The Continental Edition”. It was a step up from the basic set and, if memory serves me right, what made it “Continental” was the goals were fancier and you got ‘diving’ keepers compared to the basic set. I persuaded my dad to stump up the few extra shillings!!

Of course, all you got were the red team and the blue team. Pocket money was saved and used over the next few years to buy extra team sets. Hibs #45 was probably the first extra one I bought. Maybe acquired another dozen or so after that.

Happy days!!

That would be the 'Pirrets' shop. I think it started as a toy shop but when they incorporated the premises next door they also sold some sports stuff. I can't remember buying any Subbuteo from there but certainly spent my pennies on other stuff :greengrin

G B Young
02-04-2020, 03:11 PM

I had the cricket and the football versions. Didn't know there was a rugby version too. The cricket featured a bat that was about twice as tall as the players which you operated by hand and tried to hit balls bowled by a bowler who you flipped over to launch the ball from a wee triangular holder on his base. The stumps were also gigantic in comparison to the players. The fielders had large flat bases with recesses for the ball to run into, which would qualify as a catch. As you say it was all a bit bizarre.

Still got the football version somewhere, although most of the teams have been decimated by injuries (ie having their ankles snapped!).

Bobo
02-04-2020, 03:20 PM

Just looked out my old Super Striker, it hasn't seen the light of day in years.

I preferred Subbuteo and have it in the house somewhere too, will need to have a hunt for it.

nairn hibee
02-04-2020, 03:21 PM
I got the 1974 Munich edition ,for Christmas it had 2 floodlights ,and strangely enough England ,and I think west Germany and Holland ,there was a tv tower and a we guy dressed in Union Jack colours ,don’t know what became of it in the end

Power
02-04-2020, 03:25 PM

Great shout, will try and get the Subbuteo out over the weekend with the wee man - great time killer.

Last time was a couple of years ago and we got distracted with a bit of exuberance.

https://www.hibeesbounce.com/attachments/a64b564e-52f0-4ab1-8e9a-2f8c4708f33f-jpeg.2239/

WoreTheGreen
02-04-2020, 03:56 PM
Mckenzie’s sports shop where the festival theatre is now . Upstairs sold all the teams but the Hibs team stood out like a beacon

ShadesLongThrow
02-04-2020, 04:29 PM
I had the cricket and the football versions. Didn't know there was a rugby version too. The cricket featured a bat that was about twice as tall as the players which you operated by hand and tried to hit balls bowled by a bowler who you flipped over to launch the ball from a wee triangular holder on his base. The stumps were also gigantic in comparison to the players. The fielders had large flat bases with recesses for the ball to run into, which would qualify as a catch. As you say it was all a bit bizarre.

Still got the football version somewhere, although most of the teams have been decimated by injuries (ie having their ankles snapped!).

Thing I remember about the rugby version was a huge plastic “scrum” where you dropped the ball into the top and it came out one of the random 8 holes.

tamig
02-04-2020, 05:01 PM
I got the 1974 Munich edition ,for Christmas it had 2 floodlights ,and strangely enough England ,and I think west Germany and Holland ,there was a tv tower and a we guy dressed in Union Jack colours ,don’t know what became of it in the end

The Munich edition was the pinnacle of the Subbuteo box sets. The wee guy with the UJ gear was Ken Baily - the official England mascot. It was quite ironic that only Scotland of the home countries qualified for the 74 World Cup. The Munich set was superb. Here’ s a wee bit about Ken -
https://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/2018/08/ken-baily-collection/

Cardinal Hibernian
02-04-2020, 05:01 PM

Just looked out my old Super Striker, it hasn't seen the light of day in years.

I preferred Subbuteo and have it in the house somewhere too, will need to have a hunt for it.There were two types of goal keeper available. One where he was fixed but could throw the ball out side arm and another one that could do fantastic diving saves. You were able to score spectacular rocket shots into the top corner. The team colours in my set were Aberdeen and St Mirren but probably really meant to be Man Utd and Newcastle.

archie
02-04-2020, 05:07 PM
There was also Subbuteo hockey for girls, angling (really, but more of a board game) and the really rare one - subbuteo beatles!

nairn hibee
02-04-2020, 05:10 PM
The Munich edition was the pinnacle of the Subbuteo box sets. The wee guy with the UJ gear was Ken Baily - the official England mascot. It was quite ironic that only Scotland of the home countries qualified for the 74 World Cup. The Munich set was superb. Here’ s a wee bit about Ken -
https://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/2018/08/ken-baily-collection/ (https://www.1818auctioneers.co.uk/2018/08/ken-baily-collection/)
Ken bailey that’s right couldn’t remember who he was ,I remember you could get seating right round the ground ,always wanted that but not to be.there was a lot of stuff came with the Munich one but can’t remember everything now

JoeTortolanoFanClub
02-04-2020, 05:25 PM
My Subbuteo set is still in my Dad’s attic...along with the certificate I received after playing the then World Champion, Andrea Piccaluga from Italy, in Jenners on Princes Street when he was on a UK tour in 1979. I was a decent player. But Piccaluga was at an altogether different level and easily beat me 2-0 going on 12-0. I think I read somewhere that he is now a university professor.

WoreTheGreen
02-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Ken bailey that’s right couldn’t remember who he was ,I remember you could get seating right round the ground ,always wanted that but not to be.there was a lot of stuff came with the Munich one but can’t remember everything now

Did Bailey not turn out to be a peado

The Count
02-04-2020, 05:33 PM

Yes thats my recollection aswell and it was pre Jimmy Saville

The Count
02-04-2020, 05:34 PM

Thats my recollection and it was pre Jimmy Savile.

WoreTheGreen
02-04-2020, 05:37 PM
The wee daffy with the top hat and the Union Jack waistcoat definitely a peado was binned on the quiet

DaveSo
02-04-2020, 05:45 PM

I still have the Zaire set from the 1970's in my box of Subbuteo stuff in an upstairs cupboard.
It was popular of course with Scotland playing them in the 1974 World Cup.
Cracking set with green top and yellow stripe on sleeve and yellow shorts and of course all the players were coloured and not white.
I need to go up and dig out some of the team boxes and try and value them by looking on eBay.
Bizarrely I have an England team that came in a blue box instead of the normal green and the strip is 1977. Same kit they wore with Keegan etc.

StirlingHibee
02-04-2020, 05:51 PM
I used to buy the all-white Leeds United box then my dad painted whatever team in the world I wanted. When I look back now it seems that my entire childhood was either playing Subbuteo or playing Football in the park. Happy days!!

greenlad
02-04-2020, 05:55 PM

Hibs shared a strip with Cercle Bruges.

Hearts shared with Northampton and Stenhousemuir.

SonOfDavidFrancey
02-04-2020, 06:01 PM
I still have the Zaire set from the 1970's in my box of Subbuteo stuff in an upstairs cupboard.
Cracking set with green top and yellow stripe on sleeve and yellow shorts and of course all the players were coloured and not white.
I need to go up and dig out some of the team boxes and try and value them by looking on eBay.
Bizarrely I have an England team that came in a blue box instead of the normal green and the strip is 1977. Same kit they wore with Keegan etc.

If it’s mint (I.e. no glue) Zaire is probably worth upwards of 50 - 100£ . But all things we did as kids (writing players names on the box etc) have an effect on the price!

I’ve got a Brazil and a Peru from ’74 as well as a few later editions.

The holy grail is Bradford Park Avenue in the ‘flats’ - the pre-3D version. They were number 19, and when they went out of business Barcelona became no 19.

tamig
02-04-2020, 06:17 PM

I’ve got Zaire - ref 176 - and Haiti 175 from the 74 World Cup teams. Still in perfect condition. Will need to see if I can get some pics up.

nairn hibee
02-04-2020, 06:23 PM
Hibs ,heavyweight number 45 on eBay bidding at £13.50

tamig
02-04-2020, 06:28 PM

I’m from the Pans originally and got most of my gear from Petersons - they had a great range. There was a shop in Tranent called Roberts’s that also had a good range locally. Thorntons in Hanover Street - which I think was Ronnie Simpson’s place - was also an excellent stockist.

Keith_M
02-04-2020, 07:10 PM

That's where I got mine, when I was about eight.

:thumbsup:

There was a much older kid that used to push us out the way if there was any of the rarer teams in that day. It wasn't you, was it?

:wink:

tamig
02-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Couple of pics of some of my hand painted efforts.

Real Betis and Marseilles "Rainbow kit" that they wore in the Champions league a few years back.

Sherlock Jones
02-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Couple of pics of some of my hand painted efforts.

Real Betis and Marseilles "Rainbow kit" that they wore in the Champions league a few years back.

Fine work :aok:

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2020, 09:55 PM
I had the World Cup edition complete with Jules Rimet trophy, floodlights, scoreboard, fencing and officials. Loved playing it and remember when the hard back Astro pitch came out that rolled up, that was a games changer as it was far better straight on the carpet than the original pitch.

jodjam
02-04-2020, 10:16 PM
So I sent my doting mother up the stairs with the stepladder to get the subbuteo out of the loft 🎶

heretoday
03-04-2020, 01:48 AM
I’m from the Pans originally and got most of my gear from Petersons - they had a great range. There was a shop in Tranent called Roberts’s that also had a good range locally. Thorntons in Hanover Street - which I think was Ronnie Simpson’s place - was also an excellent stockist.
Simpson had a small shop in Rose St.

Thorntons was quite a large store and quite long established.

hibby6270
03-04-2020, 02:51 AM
That would be the 'Pirrets' shop. I think it started as a toy shop but when they incorporated the premises next door they also sold some sports stuff. I can't remember buying any Subbuteo from there but certainly spent my pennies on other stuff :greengrin

Pirrets. That rings bells now. :greengrin
Don’t think I bought other accessories from there though after getting the original set.

Keith_M
03-04-2020, 06:58 AM
So I sent my doting mother up the stairs with the stepladder to get the subbuteo out of the loft 🎶

You rotter!

JimBHibees
03-04-2020, 07:11 AM

What was the name of the big sports shop on south bridge near where festival theatre is?

tamig
03-04-2020, 07:14 AM
What was the name of the big sports shop on south bridge near where festival theatre is?

Was that McKenzie’s?

tamig
03-04-2020, 07:14 AM

Ah sorry. I thought he had Thorntons.

JimBHibees
03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Was that McKenzie’s?

Yes think it was that. :aok:

heretoday
03-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Ah sorry. I thought he had Thorntons.

I remember when he opened it in the late 70s, I think. There was a bit of a do with the press and one or two footer types there. Thorntons was on Hanover St and had cricket and rugby stuff too. Here's a great site;

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_shops.htm

Bobo
03-04-2020, 12:30 PM
There were two types of goal keeper available. One where he was fixed but could throw the ball out side arm and another one that could do fantastic diving saves. You were able to score spectacular rocket shots into the top corner. The team colours in my set were Aberdeen and St Mirren but probably really meant to be Man Utd and Newcastle.

It's the diving keepers that I have. The teams are plain blue and red as per the photo but I have two spare teams of the same colour.

Seeing I've got plenty time on my hands I think I'll have a go at painting one of the teams as Hibs.

tamig
03-04-2020, 12:34 PM
I remember when he opened it in the late 70s, I think. There was a bit of a do with the press and one or two footer types there. Thorntons was on Hanover St and had cricket and rugby stuff too. Here's a great site;

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_shops.htm
Cheers for that. Some great memories in there. Was just talking to someone last week about Rankins at the West End and also PTs on the bridges.

CockneyRebel
03-04-2020, 12:46 PM

Not wanting to be a party pooper so never posted earlier but I never got the whole subbuteo thing. I had more fun with my old magnet football game where you had a rod under the table that you used to move the players around on the board above. Flicking with your fingers seemed such a strange concept and never got a grip of me or my pals. Not overly knocking it as it became very popular and widespread with many competitions and international tournaments but personally I just could not take it seriously.

StirlingHibee
03-04-2020, 02:46 PM
I got my Subbuteo stuff from a toy shop at St John's Road, Corstorphine. I think the shop may have been called "Gartons"?? If you walk along St John's Road now it's nothing but betting shops, takeaways and charity shops!!

La Machine Vert
03-04-2020, 04:21 PM
My Subbuteo set is still in my Dad’s attic...along with the certificate I received after playing the then World Champion, Andrea Piccaluga from Italy, in Jenners on Princes Street when he was on a UK tour in 1979. I was a decent player. But Piccaluga was at an altogether different level and easily beat me 2-0 going on 12-0. I think I read somewhere that he is now a university professor.

I was at Jenners that day as well. I unearthed my certificate. Remember the day well and my 5 minute battering
His Glasgow visit was on Reporting Scotland the night before so I practised all night with one of my mates. Pointless really!
He hammered me 4-0 in about 5 minutes and was playing a completely different game to me. Polishing the players bases and all that stuff.
Having said that, I almost got a shot in against him...almost! :aok:

Carheenlea
03-04-2020, 04:52 PM

Was your travelling army of synthetic supporters taken away from you and thrown in the bin?

Keith_M
03-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Not wanting to be a party pooper so never posted earlier but I never got the whole subbuteo thing. I had more fun with my old magnet football game where you had a rod under the table that you used to move the players around on the board above. Flicking with your fingers seemed such a strange concept and never got a grip of me or my pals. Not overly knocking it as it became very popular and widespread with many competitions and international tournaments but personally I just could not take it seriously.

That's OK, each to their own.

If you prefer fiddling with wee magnets and rods under the table, then who am I to complain.

:wink:

jodjam
03-04-2020, 09:33 PM
Was your travelling army of synthetic supporters taken away from you and thrown in the bin?

Four nil down at HT and no var to overrule the hotly disputed penalties

Carheenlea
03-04-2020, 11:02 PM
Four nil down at HT and no var to overrule the hotly disputed penalties

Cue to smash up the floodlights and get the match abandoned :agree:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
03-04-2020, 11:35 PM

I was at Jenners that day as well. I unearthed my certificate. Remember the day well and my 5 minute battering
His Glasgow visit was on Reporting Scotland the night before so I practised all night with one of my mates. Pointless really!
He hammered me 4-0 in about 5 minutes and was playing a completely different game to me. Polishing the players bases and all that stuff.
Having said that, I almost got a shot in against him...almost! :aok:

Fantastic. Great shared memories !

sambajustice
03-04-2020, 11:52 PM

zitelli62
04-04-2020, 12:02 AM
My old boss represented scotland at subbuteo and trust me he told me he really took it serious he said they had different weights in the bases and could get heated at times though he is proud of his Scotland caps.

sambajustice
04-04-2020, 01:06 AM
My old boss represented scotland at subbuteo and trust me he told me he really took it serious he said they had different weights in the bases and could get heated at times though he is proud of his Scotland caps.

Who was your boss?

Sherlock Jones
04-04-2020, 09:21 AM
That sinking feeling.

https://friendsofwarristoncemetery.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/img_9329edited.jpg?w=680

stantonhibby
04-04-2020, 09:41 AM
I got my Subbuteo stuff from a toy shop at St John's Road, Corstorphine. I think the shop may have been called "Gartons"?? If you walk along St John's Road now it's nothing but betting shops, takeaways and charity shops!!

Yeah....Gartons was the name. That was at the Drumbrae end. There was a bigger toy shop at the other end called Lawries. Now the pram centre.

number9dream
04-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Does anyone remember the C4 coverage of the 1990 Subbuteo World Cup, with the Scottish geezer (McGiffen) bringing the game into disrepute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yJpC5PfV8&list=FLh1wVWSfu7BRSrNFbKe8r8Q

The grudge match is about 19-20 minutes in - cringeworthy.

heretoday
04-04-2020, 10:38 AM
We used to play Subbuteo on a carpet in the living room whose pattern was uncannily similar to the markings of a football pitch.

This was in the days before fancy painted figures. The players were flat celluloid and you punched them out of a card when they were new. I have to say a big attraction was the leaflet which detailed the colours of all the clubs, or nearly all - green for Hibs, Plymouth Argyle and both Irelands!

Unfortunately, the men often got stepped on and snapped so you'd end up with a team of Jimmy Johnstones. Also, you had to keep the cat out of the room because he would get after them and cuff them under the sideboard, telly etc.

Keith_M
04-04-2020, 10:55 AM
I shared a bedroom with my older brother and the space on the floor between our beds was just big enough to unfurl the pitch and still have room for sitting at the sides to play the game.

One of my mates, that lived in Macbeth Moir Rd in Musselburgh, used to have a table big enough for the pitch and the rest of us were quite jealous of him, cos you could stand up while playing.

He didn't have a brother sharing his room, though, which made me kinda wish I was an only child, like him :wink:

Newry Hibs
04-04-2020, 11:14 AM
Went from layng the pitch on a carpet to the dizzy heights of my Dad getting a piece of that sort of thin plyboard (usually at the back of DIY bookcases). It had a 'rough' side that meant the pitch stuck brilliantly. Had to invest in the fence surround though.

zitelli62
04-04-2020, 12:57 PM
Who was your boss?

Sent you a PM mate.

Argylehibby
04-04-2020, 01:03 PM
I had a table big enough for the pitch and if you dampened the table and ironed the pitch down on it it was flat as a bowling green. Also made it very fast though.

StirlingHibee
04-04-2020, 01:39 PM
In May 1978 I played at the Scottish Subbuteo championships in Glasgow. It was held on a Sunday at a fancy hotel and there were 8 of us (all about 13-14 years old). Ally MacLeod was guest of honour, therefore, there was massive media interest at the time and lo and behold the press pack followed him to our Championships. All 8 of us had lunch (with Ally) prior to "flick off". He could tell we were all really nervous and he made us all feel at ease. He was a genuinely top guy and I remember feeling devastated for him when it all went wrong two months later. Anyway, the format was two groups of four. I came runner up in Group 2 which put me through to the Semis where unfortunately I was knocked out on penalties (penalties were not from the penalty spot but 5 shots taken from the 3/4 quarter line). Ally patted me on the back and consoled me after the shoot out. One final memory - some of the Reporters had seen me do a swerve manoeuvre, basically put a spin on the base in order to go around a player to hit the ball. They asked me to reproduce the trick for the cameras this time - I managed to go around 3 players and connect with the ball (first time of asking). The camera men were besides themselves - they thought this was brilliant. My trick shot made the Monday night news (Reporting Scotland). That was my 15 minutes of fame - and it's been downhill ever since!!

allyh1bs
05-04-2020, 11:12 AM
Mckenzie’s sports shop where the festival theatre is now . Upstairs sold all the teams but the Hibs team stood out like a beacon

My mum worked in both MacKenzie’s stores - Surgeons Hall and opposite Festival Theatre - so I got first dibs on all the new Subbuteo teams as they came into stock. Was obsessed with the game, and playing football in the Meadows, and virtually nothing else. Discovering girls in my early teens wrecked all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedway
05-04-2020, 01:08 PM
In May 1978 I played at the Scottish Subbuteo championships in Glasgow. It was held on a Sunday at a fancy hotel and there were 8 of us (all about 13-14 years old). Ally MacLeod was guest of honour, therefore, there was massive media interest at the time and lo and behold the press pack followed him to our Championships. All 8 of us had lunch (with Ally) prior to "flick off". He could tell we were all really nervous and he made us all feel at ease. He was a genuinely top guy and I remember feeling devastated for him when it all went wrong two months later. Anyway, the format was two groups of four. I came runner up in Group 2 which put me through to the Semis where unfortunately I was knocked out on penalties (penalties were not from the penalty spot but 5 shots taken from the 3/4 quarter line). Ally patted me on the back and consoled me after the shoot out. One final memory - some of the Reporters had seen me do a swerve manoeuvre, basically put a spin on the base in order to go around a player to hit the ball. They asked me to reproduce the trick for the cameras this time - I managed to go around 3 players and connect with the ball (first time of asking). The camera men were besides themselves - they thought this was brilliant. My trick shot made the Monday night news (Reporting Scotland). That was my 15 minutes of fame - and it's been downhill ever since!!

What a cracking story.

I used to practice a similar trick but once I’d taken it too far with the accessories (floodlights, fences, advertising boards, grandstands with wee spectators etc) then every mis-hit shot caused an involuntary pitch invasion.

WoreTheGreen
05-04-2020, 01:57 PM
My mum worked in both MacKenzie’s stores - Surgeons Hall and opposite Festival Theatre - so I got first dibs on all the new Subbuteo teams as they came into stock. Was obsessed with the game, and playing football in the Meadows, and virtually nothing else. Discovering girls in my early teens wrecked all that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The take on’s in the meadows it brings back great memories anyone remember Dougie Love

sambajustice
05-04-2020, 03:45 PM
I played Subbuteo with Seve Ballesteros at St Andrews. Filming for A Question of Sport.

weecounty hibby
05-04-2020, 03:57 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I was so useless at Subbuteo that it held no real interest for me. Even though I had the world cup version with floodlights etc

EI255
05-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Just found an original Subbeuteo player in an old box, looks original from the 70s and, I think, an old Birmingham strip (blue with a thick vertical band in white). Not sure I even had a Birmingham team back in the day!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

tamig
05-04-2020, 04:12 PM
This thread inspired me to open up the Subbuteo cupboard and get a Villa v Man City game going. Teams just chosen at random.

23150 23151 23152

SuperAllyMcleod
10-04-2020, 09:57 AM
I loved subbuteo as a kid and have also rediscovered it lately.

This site has some great info - http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub1.htm

If you want to relive your youth in style then this is the way to play these days - http://shop.flickforkicks.com

tamig
10-04-2020, 10:16 AM
I loved subbuteo as a kid and have also rediscovered it lately.

This site has some great info - http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub1.htm

If you want to relive your youth in style then this is the way to play these days - http://shop.flickforkicks.com

There are loads of sites around nowadays with many selling reproduction and original gear. You could lose yourself for a few days checking out all the sites.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2020, 02:30 PM

Pirrets was a goldmine to this youngster. Subbuteo, Airfix and Palitoy were all common. What a ****ing shop it was.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2020, 02:32 PM

Another fantastic store. Used to drag my mum round there from St Pat’s just to slaver at their windows.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Think that might’ve been Harburn’s Hobbies you are recalling. Another fabulous shop.
PS - they were closer to the foot at the KFC as you say and then moved up the Walk much later.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2020, 02:38 PM

Plymouth Argyle and Panathanaikos as I recall.

zitelli62
10-04-2020, 03:42 PM
Think that might’ve been Harburn’s Hobbies you are recalling. Another fabulous shop.
PS - they were closer to the foot at the KFC as you say and then moved up the Walk much later.

Could well be memory not great these days also remember getting lego and airfix models still say to my son they were better than computer games just me getting old though.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Could well be memory not great these days also remember getting lego and airfix models still say to my son they were better than computer games just me getting old though.

They had a brilliant Airfix selection, Humbrol paints etc. What a shop it was.

tamig
10-04-2020, 06:14 PM
They had a brilliant Airfix selection, Humbrol paints etc. What a shop it was.

It still sells all the paints as thats where I bought them when I was doing my own painting of Subbuteo teams fairly recently. Fantastic shop.

Devonhibs
10-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Just saw a 1915 Hibs team and checked the kit. Might be tempted.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2020, 09:10 PM
It still sells all the paints as thats where I bought them when I was doing my own painting of Subbuteo teams fairly recently. Fantastic shop.

Good news. Not had reason to frequent it any time in years but when I was young it made a trip down the Walk fascinating.

tamig
10-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Good news. Not had reason to frequent it any time in years but when I was young it made a trip down the Walk fascinating.

You should try and pop in before a game. Still got all the models and brilliant train sets. I only ever really went in for the paint but always had a good look around. Really takes you back to your youth. A fantastic shop.

Devonhibs
10-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Hibs 1915.

Dundee 1913

tamig
11-04-2020, 12:19 AM
Hibs 1915.

Dundee 1913

Dundee Hibernian (United) - not Dundee. Nice kit.

Broken Gnome
11-04-2020, 12:22 AM
The take on’s in the meadows it brings back great memories anyone remember Dougie Love

He would've been involved in our games scores of times mid-90s on the Meadows, couldn't even begin to guess what age he was then. Anywhere between 60 and 100.

EastThomasSTboy
11-04-2020, 08:33 AM

From the late 60s to about 1977, a whole bunch of us from Easter Road, East Thomas Street, Rossie place, etc, would meet up, mostly on a Sunday morning, and walk up to the Meadows (as we got older we got the number1 bus) take the Prime Position Pitch, at the bottom Right of Middle Meadow Walk, put our jumpers down for goalposts and play fitba.
That'd be a very young me (in the Striker role), mostly accompanied by the older, Billy Stevenson, Colin & Billy McDonald, Goldie, The Landell Brothers (Norrie was the better player:wink:) Billy Forbes, The Paterson Brothers (guid hard players), and all of us Hibs Supporters, who all went to the matches together!!, and we were joined at the meadows by Allan and Keith (Posh lads) and a fair number of extras, including the "CocK' & a "Hen" lot, who met up with us regularly.
This included Dougie Love, who from memory was a Hearts fan, always in a Hearts jersey, most notably the Ajax one, and he could run!! Also another one, surname "Bell" who we nick-named "Ding-Dong". There was also a Rangers fan, whose name escapes me.
After a while we moulded ourselves into quite a formidable unit and did "take-Ons" with nearby teams, and if my memory serves me right, we were never beaten!! .
Happy Days Indeed, and a Different time in a Different world, watching Hibs, when they were on a Level Playing Field with the Best teams in Europe.

:flag::flag::flag:

Iggy Pope
12-04-2020, 08:04 PM
From the late 60s to about 1977, a whole bunch of us from Easter Road, East Thomas Street, Rossie place, etc, would meet up, mostly on a Sunday morning, and walk up to the Meadows (as we got older we got the number1 bus) take the Prime Position Pitch, at the bottom Right of Middle Meadow Walk, put our jumpers down for goalposts and play fitba.
That'd be a very young me (in the Striker role), mostly accompanied by the older, Billy Stevenson, Colin & Billy McDonald, Goldie, The Landell Brothers (Norrie was the better player:wink:) Billy Forbes, The Paterson Brothers (guid hard players), and all of us Hibs Supporters, who all went to the matches together!!, and we were joined at the meadows by Allan and Keith (Posh lads) and a fair number of extras, including the "CocK' & a "Hen" lot, who met up with us regularly.
This included Dougie Love, who from memory was a Hearts fan, always in a Hearts jersey, most notably the Ajax one, and he could run!! Also another one, surname "Bell" who we nick-named "Ding-Dong". There was also a Rangers fan, whose name escapes me.
After a while we moulded ourselves into quite a formidable unit and did "take-Ons" with nearby teams, and if my memory serves me right, we were never beaten!! .
Happy Days Indeed, and a Different time in a Different world, watching Hibs, when they were on a Level Playing Field with the Best teams in Europe.

:flag::flag::flag:

I’d never have left my jumper unattended anywhere near someone from “ Chinatown”...... :greengrin

EastThomasSTboy
13-04-2020, 09:54 AM
I’d never have left my jumper unattended anywhere near someone from “ Chinatown”...... :greengrin"Chinatown" was the nickname given to East Thomas Street (Just off Easter Road- demolished in 1975) and was a row of auld tenements, which the "Sunday Post" declared was one of Scotlands worst slums!!! (cheeky barstewards) and was a great place to grow up. Like the present lockdown, everyone looked out for their neighbour in these days, especially when evictions were commonplace, and on coming home from School, you would see some poor persons pitiful belongings thrown out in the street.Re my Earlier entry about our Meadows Fitba team, I got the Gallagher Brothers mixed up (calling them the Patersons...its an age thing!).

zitelli62
13-04-2020, 10:21 AM
My dad was born and brought up in east Thomas street and I can remember as a young boy visiting my gran and grandad there always remember lots of pigeons in the street mind maybe playing tricks though.

linlithgowhibbie
13-04-2020, 11:52 AM
Was there not a large bit of graffitti stating "YOU ARE NOW ENTERING CHINATOWN" painted in yellow on the gable end so it was visible from Easter Rd (the road, not stadium)

EastThomasSTboy
13-04-2020, 05:44 PM
Was there not a large bit of graffitti stating "YOU ARE NOW ENTERING CHINATOWN" painted in yellow on the gable end so it was visible from Easter Rd (the road, not stadium)

You are correct, it was painted overnight, following a visit from the "YLT". If memory serves me right, it was one of the "XXXXXXX"
Family (they could probably track me down even nowhttps://www.hibs.net/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhDwAPANQAAAAAAOLeAPn0AL /v8DAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAACH/C05FVFNDQVBFMi4wAwEAAAAh QQBMgAfACwAAAAADwAPAAAFROAnikBZjuhXDoPgnijAuvQ7ynU uAGRb0r dqrUDAI0vnCAQoDGPumgw6gwic8YAL2vqMnkqF3P81N6i39T0C 06puqkQACH5BAEyAB8ALAMABAAHAAkAAAUW4CcIX/kBJVoGq m cCyOYwrcaqDrIQAh/ntUaGlzIGFuaW1hdGVkIEdJRiBmaWxlIHdhcyBjb25zdHJ1Y3R lZCB1c2luZyBVbGVhZCBHSUYgQW5pbWF0b3IsIHZpc2l0IHVzI GF0IGh0dHA6Ly93d3cudWxlYWQuY29tIHRvIGZpbmQgb3V0IG1 vcmUuAVVTU1BDTVQAOw==https://www.hibs.net/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhDwAPANQAAAAAAOLeAPn0AL /v8DAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAACH/C05FVFNDQVBFMi4wAwEAAAAh QQBMgAfACwAAAAADwAPAAAFROAnikBZjuhXDoPgnijAuvQ7ynU uAGRb0r dqrUDAI0vnCAQoDGPumgw6gwic8YAL2vqMnkqF3P81N6i39T0C 06puqkQACH5BAEyAB8ALAMABAAHAAkAAAUW4CcIX/kBJVoGq m cCyOYwrcaqDrIQAh/ntUaGlzIGFuaW1hdGVkIEdJRiBmaWxlIHdhcyBjb25zdHJ1Y3R lZCB1c2luZyBVbGVhZCBHSUYgQW5pbWF0b3IsIHZpc2l0IHVzI GF0IGh0dHA6Ly93d3cudWxlYWQuY29tIHRvIGZpbmQgb3V0IG1 vcmUuAVVTU1BDTVQAOw==). Painted at the bottom end of the street as well (bit smaller writing).
it was in very large letters, and I stood next to The "Evening News" Photographer, as he took numerous photos, which then appeared as the front page Headline, "Vandals Strike....." ... the following evening.
Over the next month or so, we had the privilege of watching the local Panda car, patrol our street, every night, every 30-40 minutes. (A sort of 70s lockdown!!).
Always an interesting place to stay!!! Never did me any harmhttps://www.hibs.net/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhDwAPANEAAP///729vVn/yAAAACH/C05FVFNDQVBFMi4wAwEAAAAh/sFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnJ0bHNvZnQuY29tL2FuaW1hZ2ljLwoKQ3J lYXRlZCB3aXRoIEFuaW1hZ2ljIEdJRiBWIDEuMjEKYnkgUmlna HQgdG8gTGVmdCBTb2Z0d2FyZSBJbmMuCgpUbyBzdXBwcmVzcyB 0aGlzIG1lc3NhZ2UgaW4gdGhlIHJlZ2lzdGVyZWQgdmVyc2lvb gp1bmNoZWNrICJPcHRpb25zIHwgQW5pbWFnaWMgY29tbWVudCB mcmFtZSIKACH5BAkeAAEALAAAAAAPAA8AAAI6jD2Zx5EC4WIjW nmqeFIPtElh GnX SiqulUDALyw7LozHM/tdveuw5PlfsAWjvMBtRQYiqnTyKgaBQAh QQJHgABACwAAAAADwAPAAACOYw9mceRAuFiI1p5qnhbbtSF3OB cplQpqrqlADC88Ju6M023G86nZRzD Uot2SiDUmAomsik4VA1CgAh QQJHgABACwAAAAADwAPAAACOow9mceRAuFiI1p5qnhSD7RJYfh p1/koqrpVAwC8sOy6MxzP7Xb3rsOT5X7AFo7zAbUUGIqp08ioGgUA IfkECR4AAQAsAAAAAA8ADwAAAjqMPZnHkQLhYkM8WcfJ0nbtRK KoVeNpZcqqpBYADHAMqy9d166M41ko49F odTsAiqyJI1LZNJwrBoFACH5BAkeAAEALAAAAAAPAA8AAAI6jD 2Zx5EC4WIjWnmqeFIPtElh GnX SiqulUDALyw7LozHM/tdveuw5PlfsAWjvMBtRQYiqnTyKgaBQAh QQJHgABACwAAAAADwAPAAACOow9mceRAuFiQzxZx8nSdu1Eoqh V42llyqqkFgAMcAyrL13XrozjWSjj0X6h1OwCKrIkjUtk0nCsG gUAIfkECR4AAQAsAAAAAA8ADwAAAjqMPZnHkQLhYiNaeap4Ug 0SWH4adf5KKq6VQMAvLDsujMcz 12967Dk V wBaO8wG1FBiKqdPIqBoFADs=.....apart from when i was chased across the backgreen by davy XXXX wielding a samurai sword.

WoreTheGreen
13-04-2020, 06:49 PM
He would've been involved in our games scores of times mid-90s on the Meadows, couldn't even begin to guess what age he was then. Anywhere between 60 and 100.

I was 70/80s DL would be in his 70’s little known fact he was a scout for Everton he was involved in the signing of Graham Sharp

Max_Shah
31-01-2021, 06:23 PM
Sorry to necro-post but I didn't feel this deserved a full Fred and this came up when searching for "subbuteo"

Anyway I spotted this when looking for a 1991-92 Skol Cup programme on E-Scam.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subbuteo-HW-Team-45-HIBERNIAN-NEAR-MINT-Condition/203255917580?hash=item2f52ff2c0c:g:~RgAAOSw1~5gAzD 1

£90 ****ing squid for a Subbuteo Hibs team - ever heard of airfix paint and Real Madrid.

I also saw this - "The Holy Grail of table sports:"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBBUTEO-WORLD-OF-SPORT-CONTENTS-100-MINT-COMPLETE-BOX-VERY-GOOD-VERY-RARE/233871177542?hash=item3673cef746:g:UYcAAOSwjrJgDbw Y

£1200 - that's everything - football, stadium, cricket and rugby. I mind buying the rugby set at a Jumble Sale @ the Old Kirk [in Drylaw] in 1989/1990, **** knows where it is now. I also spotted this site which is nostalgia-riffic for folx like me.

https://subbuteo.online/ - again sorry for the necro - I got a bit excited.

tamig
31-01-2021, 06:39 PM
Sorry to necro-post but I didn't feel this deserved a full Fred and this came up when searching for "subbuteo"

Anyway I spotted this when looking for a 1991-92 Skol Cup programme on E-Scam.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subbuteo-HW-Team-45-HIBERNIAN-NEAR-MINT-Condition/203255917580?hash=item2f52ff2c0c:g:~RgAAOSw1~5gAzD 1

£90 ****ing squid for a Subbuteo Hibs team - ever heard of airfix paint and Real Madrid.

I also saw this - "The Holy Grail of table sports:"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBBUTEO-WORLD-OF-SPORT-CONTENTS-100-MINT-COMPLETE-BOX-VERY-GOOD-VERY-RARE/233871177542?hash=item3673cef746:g:UYcAAOSwjrJgDbw Y

£1200 - that's everything - football, stadium, cricket and rugby. I mind buying the rugby set at a Jumble Sale @ the Old Kirk [in Drylaw] in 1989/1990, **** knows where it is now. I also spotted this site which is nostalgia-riffic for folx like me.

https://subbuteo.online/ - again sorry for the necro - I got a bit excited.
That Hibs team is way over priced. They’re not that rare and that seller will be lucky to get what they’re asking. In saying that, it looks like there are a few international sellers looking for over £100. Thats crazy for a ref 45 Hibs team.

Lancs Harp
31-01-2021, 06:48 PM
Hibs teams on ebay usually for about £20-£25. I replaced my original depleted team from the 70s about 3 years ago I think I paid £18.

worcesterhibby
31-01-2021, 06:50 PM
I used to play in a subbuteo league created by me and some mates at school. I was influenced by US football (I loved cosmos) and called my team Hibernian Kicks ( I also loved the Undertones) other teams included Belvedere Thistle and Park Road Rangers. It was actually quite important to mount your pitch in a different way to others in the league as it made the speed of the pitch different, which you got used to and therefore you had a Home advantage. I always bought my stuff from Harburn Hobbies in Leith Walk...happy days.

degenerated
31-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Was your travelling army of synthetic supporters taken away from you and thrown in the bin?Top notch HMHB referencing there.

Max_Shah
31-01-2021, 07:02 PM
I used to play in a subbuteo league created by me and some mates at school. I was influenced by US football (I loved cosmos) and called my team Hibernian Kicks ( I also loved the Undertones) other teams included Belvedere Thistle and Park Road Rangers. It was actually quite important to mount your pitch in a different way to others in the league as it made the speed of the pitch different, which you got used to and therefore you had a Home advantage. I always bought my stuff from Harburn Hobbies in Leith Walk...happy days.

Good Lord. The memories...

A quick google-fu suggests they are still going strong:

https://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/

No Subbuteo though but they seem to do a roaring trade in choo-choo's which is something I have always wanted to build given we've got the space. Unfortunately, I don't have the time [thanks NHS]

The speed of the pitch is apparently a key issue in competitive play - in fact some dude has made a snowy/muddy pitch to mirror IRL playing conditions:

https://subbuteo.online/the-subbuteo-muddy-pitch-is-now-available-as-an-astropitch

Apparently they use legit astroturf and not the green Behar/General George offcuts I was privy to in the late 1980's

Dr What If?
31-01-2021, 07:25 PM
As a kid I was a real subbuteo addict....still got tons of old teams (80s lightweights). I have the Honduras team from the 82 world cup (not got the original box through). Its got a bit white 'H' for a badge and they have blue shirts. I think it is the most valuable team I have simply based on the fact I have never seen another one, even on Ebay.

wearehibernian
01-02-2021, 02:03 PM
I sold all my stuff a few years back when ebay was kinda more in its prime and subbuteo was fetching good prices. Unbelievably my highest sale was a heavyweight Athletico Madrid for £90, Hamilton Accies for round £70 and one of the 1982 WC lightweights, may have been Honduras for £70ish... Don't really regret selling it all as clearly there are some passionate collectors out there. So better that than in my attic I reckon. As a few folk mentioned, Hibs teams were going for around £10-20 max. Spare players that survived being snapped or chewed by the cat also got a few quid if they can potentially make up a valuable team where someone is short of a player. 'Zombie' teams were those kinda upright teams made in the 1980s and didin't get much on the market. They were s***e to play with.

heretoday
01-02-2021, 02:28 PM
I sold all my stuff a few years back when ebay was kinda more in its prime and subbuteo was fetching good prices. Unbelievably my highest sale was a heavyweight Athletico Madrid for £90, Hamilton Accies for round £70 and one of the 1982 WC lightweights, may have been Honduras for £70ish... Don't really regret selling it all as clearly there are some passionate collectors out there. So better that than in my attic I reckon. As a few folk mentioned, Hibs teams were going for around £10-20 max. Spare players that survived being snapped or chewed by the cat also got a few quid if they can potentially make up a valuable team where someone is short of a player. 'Zombie' teams were those kinda upright teams made in the 1980s and didin't get much on the market. They were s***e to play with.

That must have been a dark day for the cat!

Our cat used to invade the pitch and cuff the players into the four corners of the room.

Lancs Harp
01-02-2021, 02:44 PM
That must have been a dark day for the cat!

Our cat used to invade the pitch and cuff the players into the four corners of the room.

Made me laugh that, our cat did the same.:greengrin He used to rev up then dive across the pitch players flying everywhere!