PDA

View Full Version : Players take 20% pay cut

Hibeesmad
01-04-2020, 06:32 AM
The Sun reporting that the team have taken a 20% pay cut with half the repayments being made in December and the final half being paid back in May next year. Ron Gordon has apparently promised that no players will be signed until they are back on full pay.

Hibeesmad
01-04-2020, 06:33 AM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5446764/hibs-ron-gordon-promises-no-signings-full-pay/amp/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Peevemor
01-04-2020, 06:47 AM
Seems to be a fair and sensible solution, although only possible because we're in a better financial position (without being minted) than most clubs.

This way nobody will suffer too much, although obviously the "missing" 20% will affect the lower earners a lot more - but at least they're still in a job.

Keith_M
01-04-2020, 06:54 AM
So they're accepting a deferred payment on a small pat of their salaries, with no threats of contracts being cancelled.

Sounds like a very considerate solution, given the circumstances.

I bet the papers still say that we're just following Hearts' good example...

ano hibby
01-04-2020, 07:09 AM
Interesting call.
Number of angles here:
Are players & staff all effectively furloughed right now and therefore company applying for the 80% government support?

No new signings - wonder what implications for our loan players. I’d hoped that in a position of relative strength we could use the crisis to try & make permanent Docherty, maybe others.

B.H.F.C
01-04-2020, 07:19 AM
Interesting call.
Number of angles here:
Are players & staff all effectively furloughed right now and therefore company applying for the 80% government support?

No new signings - wonder what implications for our loan players. I’d hoped that in a position of relative strength we could use the crisis to try & make permanent Docherty, maybe others.

They won’t be furloughed. Government support is capped at £2,500 a month so their wages will all outweigh that. Imagine furlough might apply to a number of staff around the club where the government grant will cover 80% for them.

Hibs4185
01-04-2020, 07:20 AM
Interesting call.
Number of angles here:

The job retention scheme won’t cover most of the squads wages but if you have a squad of say 20 and each receive the full £2.5k then that’s £50k a month. So I’d imagine they will be applying and the players will be furloughed.

I’ve heard stories that even tweeting or carrying out social media is classed as working for the company so the players calling seniors etc might mean that hibs haven’t furloughed them.

Brightside
01-04-2020, 07:31 AM
The furlough rules will cover almost all the non playing staff. I expected a lost more than 20% tbh and I think the players did also.

Lee Marvin
01-04-2020, 07:42 AM
Brilliant PR coming from the club this morning. I think most of the non-playing staff will be furlowed and a reasonable portion of the playing staff too (There will be plenty on £750-£1k per week which wouldnt be a huge drop to £625 p/w).

Hearts on the other hand are not having a great day on the old PR front. Looks like the players have told Budge to ram the 50% and now have PFA acting on their side to come to a deferral comprimise. This is going to get very very messy for them over the coming months. What do they say....PLEASING!?!

04Sauzee
01-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Seems to be a fair and sensible solution, although only possible because we're in a better financial position (without being minted) than most clubs.

This way nobody will suffer too much, although obviously the "missing" 20% will affect the lower earners a lot more - but at least they're still in a job.
I dont know what everyone else is like but I'm definitely spending less than I was a few weeks ago. Hopefully even the lower paid hibs staff will be Ok with 20% less, understand everyone's circumstances are different.

Stanton Spence
01-04-2020, 08:22 AM
The job retention scheme won’t cover most of the squads wages but if you have a squad of say 20 and each receive the full £2.5k then that’s £50k a month. So I’d imagine they will be applying and the players will be furloughed.

I’ve heard stories that even tweeting or carrying out social media is classed as working for the company so the players calling seniors etc might mean that hibs haven’t furloughed them.The government are only paying 80% of wages up to 2500 a month so you can whack £500 from that right away. So if hibs furloughed 20 players and applied for the grant they would get 40k. The players would then get 2k a month but they then have to pay tax and insurance on that which will roughly be another 20% so the player/staff/employees will roughly take home £1600pm £400 per week which won't cover many players wages

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
01-04-2020, 08:27 AM
The Sun reporting that the team have taken a 20% pay cut with half the repayments being made in December and the final half being paid back in May next year. Ron Gordon has apparently promised that no players will be signed until they are back on full pay.Seems a creditable way of doing it, a whole lot better than sneaking around behind the players back lining up new signings with the money saved or new money in.

GGTTH

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
01-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Interesting call.
Number of angles here:

It may be too early to say, but I think this period will have a significant impact on football finance. Players like Docherty and Kamberi will be unlikely to get contracts as good as the ones they are on, so we're likely to see a lot of players sitting out contracts whilst possibly going out on loan multiple times if they're not needed/ wanted at their registered club.

There is going to be a massive readjustment when this is all over.

Full credit to Hibs for what appears to be a palatable solution for employees whilst still being responsible financially.

chippy
01-04-2020, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=ano hibby;6131996]Interesting call.
Number of angles here:

No new signings - wonder what implications for our loan players. I’d hoped that in a position of relative strength we could use the crisis to try & make permanent Docherty, maybe others.[/QUOTE

not a bad call to try and sign Doc, he would be my priority too. Probably Omeonga too if the sums work out. Both will be much cheaper, and Kamberi potential trade off for Sevco. Who knows but a DCM and then go with the young guys for next season especially if it’s a 14 team league.?

Daydreamer
01-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Spoke to my accountant yesterday and he was telling me that another team who I will not name in the Scottish Championship had looked in to the furlough scheme and they were told as long as the players are still training they are classed as working even if it was on their own.

Not In The Know
01-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Spoke to my accountant yesterday and he was telling me that another team who I will not name in the Scottish Championship had looked in to the furlough scheme and they were told as long as the players are still training they are classed as working even if it was on their own.

Weird one that, so lets say if they cycled and played tennis would that be working?

Not at the same time may I ad!

rossevenil
01-04-2020, 11:30 AM
The government are only paying 80% of wages up to 2500 a month so you can whack £500 from that right away. So if hibs furloughed 20 players and applied for the grant they would get 40k. The players would then get 2k a month but they then have to pay tax and insurance on that which will roughly be another 20% so the player/staff/employees will roughly take home £1600pm £400 per week which won't cover many players wages

Think what he means is that 20 of the playing squad would most likely be on wages exceeding £2500 not that that is there actually salary so would inturn receive the maximum £2500 pm from the govt grant so it would indeed be £50k ie £4k pm reduced to 80% works out at £3200 so player would get the maximum £2500 payment although it works out less than 80%

Ozyhibby
01-04-2020, 11:40 AM

I can confidently say that the government will not penalise a single club or player for training on their own during furlough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are hibs
03-04-2020, 07:18 AM
HIBS’ top earners have agreed to take big hits in the pocket to help save jobs at Easter Road.

SunSport understands Scott Allan, Martin Boyle, David Gray and Darren McGregor will all see their salaries slashed as part of wage deferrals at*Hibs.

Boss Jack Ross and his coaching staff will also accept similar cuts as Hibs react to the crippling financial effects of Covid-19.

Rivals*Aberdeen*are also now close to a deferral deal with boss Derek McInnes and his players

That could lead to a host of other Premiership clubs doing likewise, as the crisis rips through Scottish football.

Hibs stars say they are fully behind owner Ron Gordon’s measures.

In return, Gordon has promised players they will be repaid in two instalments in December this year and June 2021.

And Hibs will not sign players until current stars are all back on full pay.

Earlier this week, midfielder Allan admitted accepting a pay cut was the least he and his team-mates could do to help out others at the club.

He said: “You see the Barcelona players taking a 70 per cent pay cut and you can see why. Clubs have no income.”

Aberdeen are expected to announce details of Pittodrie wage deferrals in the next 24 hours.

Andy74
03-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Interesting call.
Number of angles here:

No signings until back on full pay. That could be done quite quickly. It doesn’t say no signings until the deficit is paid back. So, I think we could be able to sign the players on loan.

Col2
03-04-2020, 07:39 AM
No signings until back on full pay. That could be done quite quickly. It doesn’t say no signings until the deficit is paid back. So, I think we could be able to sign the players on loan.

Yes that’s it. If we were being optimistic and suggest season starts again say August/Sept then I would expect our season ticket income would be back to a reasonable amount as excitement builds of just getting back to bloody normality! I would expect players back on full pay once we start playing again so assuming transfer window extension/flex we should be ok for some additions. All down to when we can start again. And who really deep down knows that?

Jones28
03-04-2020, 08:32 AM
HIBS’ top earners have agreed to take big hits in the pocket to help save jobs at Easter Road.

SunSport understands Scott Allan, Martin Boyle, David Gray and Darren McGregor will all see their salaries slashed as part of wage deferrals at*Hibs.

Boss Jack Ross and his coaching staff will also accept similar cuts as Hibs react to the crippling financial effects of Covid-19.

Rivals*Aberdeen*are also now close to a deferral deal with boss Derek McInnes and his players

That could lead to a host of other Premiership clubs doing likewise, as the crisis rips through Scottish football.

Hibs stars say they are fully behind owner Ron Gordon’s measures.

In return, Gordon has promised players they will be repaid in two instalments in December this year and June 2021.

And Hibs will not sign players until current stars are all back on full pay.

Earlier this week, midfielder Allan admitted accepting a pay cut was the least he and his team-mates could do to help out others at the club.

He said: “You see the Barcelona players taking a 70 per cent pay cut and you can see why. Clubs have no income.”

Aberdeen are expected to announce details of Pittodrie wage deferrals in the next 24 hours.

Done with class and decorum, unlike our chums over the way.

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2020, 09:07 AM
Weird one that, so lets say if they cycled and played tennis would that be working?

Not at the same time may I ad!

They could do that only if the club didn’t ask them to do that. So if there’s fitness programmes issued for the players to follow that’d be classed as working, whereas a player deciding to go out and do a 10k would be fine.

I think...

EI255
03-04-2020, 09:07 AM
Nice to know we're not in the same position as the outfit in the west of Edinburgh.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2020, 09:08 AM
The government are only paying 80% of wages up to 2500 a month so you can whack £500 from that right away. So if hibs furloughed 20 players and applied for the grant they would get 40k. The players would then get 2k a month but they then have to pay tax and insurance on that which will roughly be another 20% so the player/staff/employees will roughly take home £1600pm £400 per week which won't cover many players wages

The max you can get is £2500 and then you’d be taxed on that. You don’t get 80% of £2500 and then pay tax.

WestCoastHibby
03-04-2020, 09:24 AM
The max you can get is £2500 and then you’d be taxed on that. You don’t get 80% of £2500 and then pay tax.

Yup, and let's not forget GvT money is "OUR" money
Taxpayers.
This can't go on forever or all nations will be bankrupt

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Yup, and let's not forget GvT money is "OUR" money
Taxpayers.
This can't go on forever or all nations will be bankrupt

We found the magic money tree mate. The boys at the royal mint won’t be getting furloughed any time soon - or the guys that supply the toners for their printers.

malcolm
03-04-2020, 10:42 AM
They could do that only if the club didn’t ask them to do that. So if there’s fitness programmes issued for the players to follow that’d be classed as working, whereas a player deciding to go out and do a 10k would be fine.

I think...

It is in the player’s own interest to maintain a level of fitness none the least for their health and well being but also for their longer term career. Guidance from their employer with their professional expertise on how to do this is very different to the requirements to do day to day training with a goal to be ready to play or planned rehabilitation (which is itself also an activity in the player’s interest). Making this guidance available to all, some of whom may be out of contract by when resumption of play may begin, could easily be argued as not a condition or requirement of their contract of service to the employer but simply what a good employer does for their staff. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
03-04-2020, 11:19 AM
It is in the player’s own interest to maintain a level of fitness none the least for their health and well being but also for their longer term career. Guidance from their employer with their professional expertise on how to do this is very different to the requirements to do day to day training with a goal to be ready to play or planned rehabilitation (which is itself also an activity in the player’s interest). Making this guidance available to all, some of whom may be out of contract by when resumption of play may begin, could easily be argued as not a condition or requirement of their contract of service to the employer but simply what a good employer does for their staff. :wink:

I’m no lawyer and have no idea how it could be enforced.

Vault Boy
03-04-2020, 11:28 AM
A sensible, mutually agreeable and morally sound approach. Well done Hibernian.