PDA

View Full Version : Books

CmoantheHibs
30-03-2020, 08:27 PM
With many people having more time on their hands atm what books are people reading? Phil Rickman is an author I like. Just finishing his book Friends of the dusk. He writes supernatural mystery which may not be everyone's cup of tea but he creates fascinating storylines that flow nicely and builds characters well. Looking for inspiration as to what to read next.

Bangkok Hibby
31-03-2020, 11:35 AM
"Dont take your life personally" by Ahahn Sumedho.

Fuzzywuzzy
31-03-2020, 05:43 PM
Deep south by Paul theroux
Black box thinking by Matthew said
Industrial society and its future by ted kaczynski

Slowly working through them

CmoantheHibs
31-03-2020, 06:29 PM
"Dont take your life personally" by Ahahn Sumedho.

That's an interesting one as I lived in Chiang Mai for many years so know a bit about Buddhism. Also studied vipassana for a while and still have a big interest in it. Cheers for that.

HibbyAndy
31-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Harlan Coben , He has done the strangers and safe on netflix and has numerous books

Fuzzywuzzy
31-03-2020, 06:35 PM
That's an interesting one as I lived in Chiang Mai for many years so know a bit about Buddhism. Also studied vipassana for a while and still have a big interest in it. Cheers for that.

I thought Chiang main was a great place although the zoo left a lot to be desired

CmoantheHibs
31-03-2020, 06:49 PM
I thought Chiang main was a great place although the zoo left a lot to be desired

Yes I love Chiang Mai. Lovely place, fantastic people but the pollution played havoc with my asthma. Come back here to the fresh air then get told I'm not allowed to leave the house because of covid 19.lol

Billy Whizz
31-03-2020, 07:41 PM
I wish I could put some time aside to read a book
Just seems to be when I’m on holiday, but there’s nothing better than being engrossed in a good book

Vault Boy
31-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari is a fascinating read on anthropology. It's highly accessible without background knowledge and raises a lot of themes that really encourage some reflection on our place as a species, without being contrived at all. It's often on sale on amazon for a steal.

He has another called Homo Deus that I'll be reading soon.

Hiber-nation
01-04-2020, 09:31 AM
Just downloaded the complete works of Wilkie Collins to Kindle - free! He wrote The Woman In White which was serialised on TV last year. Also wrote The Moonstone which took me almost a year to get through! Worth it though.

patch1875
01-04-2020, 11:00 AM
I working my way through Levison Wood’s books.

Eaststand
01-04-2020, 01:47 PM
Just finished the Eric Cantona autobiography.
It's the one written by a French author, Philippe Auclair (written in English) it's very well written with lots of detail from his early years in France and really is a cracking read.

The Men of the 45 rebellion by Maggie Craig is what I'll be reading next.

GGTTH

MagicSwirlingShip
02-04-2020, 05:03 AM
I have Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry on the go now, quite enjoying it

heretoday
02-04-2020, 09:12 AM
I just laid aside Ulysses by James Joyce for the Nth time. I'd tasked myself to finally finish it during this lockdown.

But no - the old style Dublin banter wore me down again. It helps to have a knowledge of classical mythology too and I've forgotten most of that!

I'm not denying it's a major work. The stream of consciousness device must have been sensational at the time.

Sylar
02-04-2020, 03:03 PM
I just laid aside Ulysses by James Joyce for the Nth time. I'd tasked myself to finally finish it during this lockdown.

But no - the old style Dublin banter wore me down again. It helps to have a knowledge of classical mythology too and I've forgotten most of that!

I'm not denying it's a major work. The stream of consciousness device must have been sensational at the time.

I studied Ulysses for my advanced higher. It’s a fine but daunting piece of literature for a 17 year old! I’ve read it a few times since and enjoyed it more. Finnegan’s Wake is another story....its horrendous!

Ive been on a low-brow tear lately: working my way through Michael Connelly’s Bosch novels. I love the tv series so decided to check out the books. I also read Ant Middleton’s “First Man In”, which was pure fluff.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2020, 04:06 PM
Different book in each room these days.....

Stuart Cosgrove's 1969.

Alex Norton's autobiography

A book of poetry by Robert Fergusson

The Book of Love by Rumi.

Mibbes Aye
02-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Different book in each room these days.....

Stuart Cosgrove's 1969.

Alex Norton's autobiography

A book of poetry by Robert Fergusson

The Book of Love by Rumi.

You probably know this but Robert Fergusson died young, in a rather inhumane environment. One of his old friends visited him and was so appalled by the conditions that he started campaigning for better treatment for people with mental health conditions. His work led to the establishment of what is now the Royal Ed. Fergusson’s friend was Andrew Duncan.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2020, 04:44 PM
You probably know this but Robert Fergusson died young, in a rather inhumane environment. One of his old friends visited him and was so appalled by the conditions that he started campaigning for better treatment for people with mental health conditions. His work led to the establishment of what is now the Royal Ed. Fergusson’s friend was Andrew Duncan.

Yeah, I did. I've recently become fascinated by his life and work. It's only taken me xx years :greengrin

Was trawling about Canongate Kirkyard a few weeks back. Seems he was the Jim Morrison of his day. Robert Burns paid for him to be disinterred from his pauper's grave and reburied properly. Robert (Devine?) wrote the epitaph, and that was subsequently rewritten by Robert Louis Stevenson.

To cap it all, pre-lockdown, I had a Sunday afternoon stroll around my old school. **** me if there isn't a plaque to him on the wall, that I probably passed a zillion times without even noticing. :greengrin:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
02-04-2020, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I did. I've recently become fascinated by his life and work. It's only taken me xx years :greengrin

Was trawling about Canongate Kirkyard a few weeks back. Seems he was the Jim Morrison of his day. Robert Burns paid for him to be disinterred from his pauper's grave and reburied properly. Robert (Devine?) wrote the epitaph, and that was subsequently rewritten by Robert Louis Stevenson.

To cap it all, pre-lockdown, I had a Sunday afternoon stroll around my old school. **** me if there isn't a plaque to him on the wall, that I probably passed a zillion times without even noticing. :greengrin:greengrin

:greengrin

His short life and works certainly impacted on some very notable people.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2020, 05:02 PM
:greengrin

His short life and works certainly impacted on some very notable people.

.... clearly not my English class.:rolleyes:

The other things I found out....apologies if you already know this....

There is a unit in the Royal Ed specifically for those with head and brain injuries, called the Robert Fergusson Unit. It was a head injury that caused him to be "sectioned" in the Edinburgh Bedlam.

Edinburgh Bedlam was in the Forrest Road/Bristo Place triangle.... just along from the Bedlam Theatre. :cb

Edinburgh is full of these amazing stories.

heretoday
12-04-2020, 05:54 PM
I'm reading a Lee Child book at the moment.
Where's Jack Reacher when we need him?

Hiber-nation
12-04-2020, 06:06 PM
I'm reading a Lee Child book at the moment.
Where's Jack Reacher when we need him?

Every time I read a Jack Reacher book I think "far fetched nonsense" but I always finish it and order another one!

wallpaperman
12-04-2020, 09:10 PM
I’m reading ‘Midnight In Chernobyl’ by Adam Higginbotham.

Fascinatingly detailed account of the 1986 disaster, very well written and easy to read, apart from a little bit of nuclear science that goes over my head.

Anyone who enjoyed the HBO series would probably like this book.

heretoday
13-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Every time I read a Jack Reacher book I think "far fetched nonsense" but I always finish it and order another one!

He doesn't need to resort to heavy stuff. All he does is take his boots off.
Baddies swooning in all directions!

lord bunberry
13-04-2020, 07:18 PM
I’ve had the urge to read some of the Jules Verne books for some reason. I’m thinking about starting with twenty thousand leagues under the sea.

heretoday
13-04-2020, 08:15 PM
I’ve had the urge to read some of the Jules Verne books for some reason. I’m thinking about starting with twenty thousand leagues under the sea.

A pretty accurate description of Scottish footer right now.

Hibee87
13-04-2020, 08:27 PM
I downloaded the Dirt (motley crue book). Since watching the film on Netflix I'd been meaning to pick it up. If you seen and enjoyed he film I highly recommend the book, they really were a bunch of animals. Even if your not into their music, I would recommend it. How none of them died I'll never know. (Although Nikki came close a couple times).

I also never realised until last year that the T.V series Dexter was based on a book. I got hold of the first 3 and they are decent reads, the show is very loosely based on books so you can read them and not know what's happening if you've watched it.

CmoantheHibs
19-04-2020, 07:14 PM
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari is a fascinating read on anthropology. It's highly accessible without background knowledge and raises a lot of themes that really encourage some reflection on our place as a species, without being contrived at all. It's often on sale on amazon for a steal.

My sister just brought the paperback of sapiens down today.will start on it tonight.

Just_Jimmy
19-04-2020, 08:23 PM
I just usually read anything. I like crime fiction, especially a series where I can read from book 1 right through a la rebus. I'm currently on the second last Logan McRae book by Stuart McBride.

My favourite all time book is 100 years of solitude.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
19-04-2020, 10:18 PM
I just usually read anything. I like crime fiction, especially a series where I can read from book 1 right through a la rebus. I'm currently on the second last Logan McRae book by Stuart McBride.

My favourite all time book is 100 years of solitude.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nearly finished it, maybe thirty or forty pages to go. It is a thing of wonder. There are very few books I would ever re-read. This is one.

MagicSwirlingShip
19-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Just started The Plague - by Albert Camus.

Craig_HFC
20-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Reading ‘The Cocaine Diaries’ by Paul Keany & Jeff Farrell at the moment. It’s about an Irish guy (Paul Keany) who gets caught smuggling drugs in Venezuela & gets locked up in Los Teques prison, it’s basically a diary of his experience.

Halfway through it just now and it’s pretty good, sounds absolutely mental.

Pretty Boy
20-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Just finished God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens and about to start Rage Against God by Peter Hitchens. The latter is written, in part, as a response to the former. I enjoyed the first without necessarily agreeing with all of it so I'm intrigued to see what the response is like.

I'm not really a fan of either Hitchens brother, they are/were a bit dogmatic at opposite ends of the scale for my tastes, but they can both write.

wpj
21-04-2020, 12:07 AM
If you like crime novels and beautiful scene settings try James Lee Burke. He can take a scene and make it poetic while still maintaining the violence of criminal acts. A great American author.

Onceinawhile
21-04-2020, 10:53 AM

Got it on my amazon wishlist. Good to see a recommendation for it.

I had been going back through my Kurt vonnegut Jr books recently and thoroughly enjoyed: God bless you Mr rosewater and cats cradle.

Currently reading this love is not for cowards: salvation and soccer in ciduad juarez.

Then onto the tender bar - which was recommended to me in Andre aggasi's biography! (which I'd highly, highly recommend).

After that two more sports books:

Behind the curtain: football in Easter europe
And
Angels with dirty faces: the footballing history of Argentina.

Sudds_1
23-04-2020, 09:01 AM
Reading From Russia with Blood just now. If even half is true is a damning insight into Putin and the complicity of the West in turning a blind eye to russian corruption ....

Eaststand
23-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Reading From Russia with Blood just now. If even half is true is a damning insight into Putin and the complicity of the West in turning a blind eye to russian corruption ....

If you enjoyed the book, you'd probably enjoy the 3 part documentary on Channel 4 about Putin recently, it was chilling how ruthless he is.
I'm fairly sure it's still available on the ch4 iplayer.

GGTTH

Sudds_1
23-04-2020, 10:31 AM
If you enjoyed the book, you'd probably enjoy the 3 part documentary on Channel 4 about Putin recently, it was chilling how ruthless he is.
I'm fairly sure it's still available on the ch4 iplayer.

GGTTH

Cheers....this book has really triggered my interest in this....some stuffis positively john le carre ish!

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Just returning to this thread, with a story that might interest the geekier of bibliophiles out there.

When I was 9, I was given a copy of Tales From Shakespeare, by Charles and Mary Lamb, by my mum's Uncle. The book was designed to introduce Shakespeare to younger readers. The problem was, it was written in 1807, so the language was impenetrable to a 9 year old. Apart from a couple of attempts to read bits of it as a teenager, in the vain hope that it might help with school work (it didn't), it has followed me round the city for decades, unread and unloved.

Until this past week.

In the spirit of the new normal, I decided to give it a go and try to fill in a massive gap in my literary knowledge. I had completely forgotten that my great uncle had inscribed it to me inside the front cover. However, there was another inscription...... to him,on his own 9th birthday, in 1912.😳

I have never been so careful with a book....

The language is still a bugger though. And that Bill Shakes loved a bit of cross-dressing, no?

Pretty Boy
19-05-2020, 09:41 PM
I've just finished Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning. A book exploring why some German civilians not only turned a blind eye to mass murder during WWII but were often active and enthusiastic participants. The author refutes the idea people were simply following orders or acting through fear. Instead he contends that humans can be far more easily persuaded to do evil things than we might imagine. Further he argues we find it easier to absolve ourselves of responsibility if there is a collective element to the actions.

Certainly food for thought and arguably quite relevant as right wing populism takes hold in many countries.

Mibbes Aye
19-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Just returning to this thread, with a story that might interest the geekier of bibliophiles out there.

When I was 9, I was given a copy of Tales From Shakespeare, by Charles and Mary Lamb, by my mum's Uncle. The book was designed to introduce Shakespeare to younger readers. The problem was, it was written in 1807, so the language was impenetrable to a 9 year old. Apart from a couple of attempts to read bits of it as a teenager, in the vain hope that it might help with school work (it didn't), it has followed me round the city for decades, unread and unloved.

Until this past week.

In the spirit of the new normal, I decided to give it a go and try to fill in a massive gap in my literary knowledge. I had completely forgotten that my great uncle had inscribed it to me inside the front cover. However, there was another inscription...... to him,on his own 9th birthday, in 1912.😳

I have never been so careful with a book....

The language is still a bugger though. And that Bill Shakes loved a bit of cross-dressing, no?

That’s lovely. I am familiar with the Lamb’s work. The inscriptions are something to treasure.

Bangkok Hibby
22-05-2020, 12:33 PM
James O'Brien---"How to be right" just finished it. A good read about how he brings angry, offended, gammon types back down to something approaching level headed normality. Chapters include Islam, LGBT, Brexit, old age, occasionally funny and a look at how media stokes the fires of anger in angry types :greengrin

SideBurns
01-06-2020, 06:49 AM
Just finished 'The Deposition of Father McGreevy' by Brian O'Doherty (shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2000).

It starts off with an Irish editor of a literary magazine sitting in a London pub in the 1950s, who hears a story about the destruction of a small village in Kerry 15 years previous. Its demise is shrouded in mystery as no-one will talk about it due to the shameful circumstances, so he decides to go to Kerry (where he originally comes from) to investigate.

The tale is a sad one (and it involves an epidemic at one point, so I put the book down for a while!) but the Irish humour stops it descending into melancholy; I laughed aloud several times. I'm glad I read the book, and don't think I'll be forgetting it in a hurry. Strange but ultimately fulfilling.

patch1875
01-06-2020, 07:41 AM
Taken - Tony Parsons

The Max Wolfe series is superb.

Hibby Bairn
01-06-2020, 01:28 PM
I see there is a new book out about Jim McLean. “Jim McLean Dundee Utd Legend”.

I think that would be a good read.

vein
06-06-2020, 09:26 PM
Just finished the last of Stuart Cosgroves Soul trilogy tonight. Three books are Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69 (which CWG appears to have been reading earlier in this thread). Each book was a cracking read in its own right. Good mix of the music and the historical events happening at the same time.

He’s given me a load of singers and bands to trawl YouTube and amazon music to listen to. Been trying to add tunes to playlists as I read the books but will go back over them now to add songs I’ve missed out.

Highly recommend the books if you have an interest in 60’s soul music.

bigwheel
06-06-2020, 09:31 PM
Just finished the last of Stuart Cosgroves Soul trilogy tonight. Three books are Detroit 67, Memphis 68 and Harlem 69 (which CWG appears to have been reading earlier in this thread). Each book was a cracking read in its own right. Good mix of the music and the historical events happening at the same time.

He’s given me a load of singers and bands to trawl YouTube and amazon music to listen to. Been trying to add tunes to playlists as I read the books but will go back over them now to add songs I’ve missed out.

Highly recommend the books if you have an interest in 60’s soul music.

Yes. Enjoyed those ...wasn’t as keen on Harlem 69. But still a decent read ..[emoji106]

Jones28
08-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Yes. Enjoyed those ...wasn’t as keen on Harlem 69. But still a decent read ..[emoji106]

I had a look at these and saw Hampden Babylon - is it worth a read?

Hiber-nation
08-06-2020, 03:02 PM
I had a look at these and saw Hampden Babylon - is it worth a read?

Not really. What really blows its credibility is Cosgrove repeatedly referring to Willie Johnston as Willie Johnson and drawing a parallel with Ben Johnson. Unforgivable!

G15 Hibs
17-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Back in 2012 I decided to better myself or something and started on a quest to read all of Dickens' novels in order of publication. 8 years on I've got as far as Barnaby Rudge, his fifth, at which rate I should reach the untimely sputtering out of Edwin Drood sometime in 2044. Needless to say, I've found it a bit of a slog with many years and other books in between attempts. However, undaunted I've picked up old Barnaby again and shall give it another go.

Inbetween times in recent weeks for entertainment I've read Harry Pearson's "The Far Corner", his account of travelling around football grounds in the north east of England in the 1993/94 season. He's an updated sequel coming out later in the year, hence my re-reading. Its a bit of fun.

I'm also reading "Revolution in the Head" by Ian Macdonald, on and off. Its essentially a chronological critical assessment of all songs recorded by the Beatles over the course of their career. Oddly, I'm not much of a Beatles fan at all, but I've become more and more fascinated with the phenomenon and mythology that surrounds them.

Onceinawhile
17-06-2020, 03:39 PM
Just finished reading the sombrero incident by brautigan. It's pretty short and concise.

Worth a read, but I wouldn't rush to read it again.

Now starting a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again by David Foster Wallace.

G15 Hibs
17-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Just finished reading the sombrero incident by brautigan. It's pretty short and concise.

Worth a read, but I wouldn't rush to read it again.

I read Revenge of the Lawn when Rebel Inc re-published it 20 years ago or thereabouts. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it at the time, but I'm not so sure I would do now. Had a go at Trout Fishing in America a few years back too, felt more like one to dip in and out of.

Mibbes Aye
17-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Back in 2012 I decided to better myself or something and started on a quest to read all of Dickens' novels in order of publication. 8 years on I've got as far as Barnaby Rudge, his fifth, at which rate I should reach the untimely sputtering out of Edwin Drood sometime in 2044. Needless to say, I've found it a bit of a slog with many years and other books in between attempts. However, undaunted I've picked up old Barnaby again and shall give it another go.

Inbetween times in recent weeks for entertainment I've read Harry Pearson's "The Far Corner", his account of travelling around football grounds in the north east of England in the 1993/94 season. He's an updated sequel coming out later in the year, hence my re-reading. Its a bit of fun.

I'm also reading "Revolution in the Head" by Ian Macdonald, on and off. Its essentially a chronological critical assessment of all songs recorded by the Beatles over the course of their career. Oddly, I'm not much of a Beatles fan at all, but I've become more and more fascinated with the phenomenon and mythology that surrounds them.

I really enjoyed Harry Pearson’s book, it was very good.

Got all of Dickens on the bookshelves but only read half or two-thirds I think.

My favourite is still ‘The Pickwick Papers’, it reminds me of ‘Three Men in a Boat’. ‘Bleak House’ is probably the best I have read so far, but I found it hard going.

Pickwick is a bit whimsical, silly and nonsence. For further reference to whimsy, silliness and nonsense I guide listeners to the Coriander Thread in the Vault where there is a whole lot of rubbish and the odd witty moment. More importantly there is a deep and meaningful discussion about the off-field responsibilities that come with being a professional footballer. And then lots of whimsy, double entendres, single entendres, entendres that barely meet the test of being single and some downright crudeness.

G15 Hibs
18-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Pickwick is a bit whimsical, silly and nonsence.

Being a whimsical and, occasionally, silly fellow I enjoyed the Pickwick Papers too. I liked that there wasn't really much of a story at all, just a series of incidents, so I could dip in and out and it wouldn't matter that much if I forgot who someone was, or what was going on. Having said that, the characters, or caricatures, were pretty memorable, especially Sam Weller and his faither.

heretoday
18-06-2020, 09:19 AM
The thing about Dickens is he was paid by the word as his novels were serialised in periodicals. Hence the long passages of prose which could well have been done away with. I eventually found even Oliver Twist a bore and that particular novel has more sparkle than most.

However, I salute his humanity - although I'm not sure his wife would agree - and his characters who will live for ever.

For wit and economy of style, however, it's Jane Austen for me every time.

Tomsk
18-06-2020, 09:37 AM

I've read all of Dickens' novels except A Tale of Two Cities, Edwin Drood, half of Barnaby Rudge and half of The Old Curiosity Shop. The last two I just couldn't finish as life is too short and they were just too boring. I think you've done really well. If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with Martin Chuzzlewit and Hard Times. However, Great Expectations and Little Dorrit are well worth the effort in me 'umble 'pinion.

G15 Hibs
18-06-2020, 12:20 PM
For wit and economy of style, however, it's Jane Austen for me every time.

You know, I've never even tried any of her's. Suppose I've always been put off by Sunday night TV costume dramas. What would you recommend starting with?

I've read all of Dickens' novels except A Tale of Two Cities, Edwin Drood, half of Barnaby Rudge and half of The Old Curiosity Shop. The last two I just couldn't finish as life is too short and they were just too boring.

I found The Old Curiosity Shop a real slog. I struggled to the end out of bloodymindedness alone, but it was no fun. I'm sort of enjoying Barnaby Rudge so far, I'm about a third of the way through, but I'm finding the periods between going back to it getting longer. Not a lot seems to be happening, but I like the characters for the most part.

JeMeSouviens
18-06-2020, 03:50 PM
You know, I've never even tried any of her's. Suppose I've always been put off by Sunday night TV costume dramas. What would you recommend starting with?

I found The Old Curiosity Shop a real slog. I struggled to the end out of bloodymindedness alone, but it was no fun. I'm sort of enjoying Barnaby Rudge so far, I'm about a third of the way through, but I'm finding the periods between going back to it getting longer. Not a lot seems to be happening, but I like the characters for the most part.

Pride & Prejudice. Personally I think JA is a good bit more accessible than Dickens.

Hiber-nation
18-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Pride & Prejudice. Personally I think JA is a good bit more accessible than Dickens.

Gave up after 25 pages. Impossible for me. I'm sticking with Wilkie Collins.

G15 Hibs
18-06-2020, 05:16 PM

Thanks

Pretty Boy
22-06-2020, 08:58 PM
I can normally take or leave autobiographies. I just read Andre Agassis and couldn't put it down. Really good read and he's had one hell of a life.

Onceinawhile
23-06-2020, 08:11 AM
I can normally take or leave autobiographies. I just read Andre Agassis and couldn't put it down. Really good read and he's had one hell of a life.

Totally agree. Excellent book.

Godsahibby
24-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Shantaram by Gregory Roberts.

An amazing story. I could genuinely feel I was there with the sights and smells of India not many books have done that to me.

Interestingly I started the follow up but never really got into it.

heretoday
28-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Try any of the three novels of Graeme Macrae Burnet.

His Bloody Project is the best known and was nominated for the Booker but they're all good psychological crime stuff.

grunt
28-06-2020, 02:25 PM
Try any of the three novels of Graeme Macrae Burnet. His Bloody Project is the best known and was nominated for the Booker but they're all good psychological crime stuff.Right, thanks for the tip. I've bought it on Kindle. I'd heard about it when it was nominated but your recommendation has reminded me.

Note - I also bought Amelia Gentleman's book The Windrush Betrayal which is on offer for just 83p on Amazon.

HibbyDave
19-07-2020, 07:23 AM
I've read all of Dickens' novels except A Tale of Two Cities, Edwin Drood, half of Barnaby Rudge and half of The Old Curiosity Shop. The last two I just couldn't finish as life is too short and they were just too boring. I think you've done really well. If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with Martin Chuzzlewit and Hard Times. However, Great Expectations and Little Dorrit are well worth the effort in me 'umble 'pinion.

A tale of two cities is a really good read. Takes a few pages to get into the style and flow but well worth it.

heretoday
19-07-2020, 01:04 PM
The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. Small town Mississippi intrigue. So well written.

G15 Hibs
10-09-2020, 09:47 AM
I'm currently reading Devil's Day by Andrew Michael Hurley, after finishing his debut novel The Loney recently. Both mainly set in rural Lancashire, both modern day atmospheric landscape based folk horror, if you're into that kind of thing.

Logie Green
17-09-2020, 07:49 PM
I can recommend ‘Dead In The Water’ by Penny Farmer.

It’s a true story about her brother and his girlfriend going missing in Central America. It’s a triumph of her will to find out the truth.

bigwheel
17-09-2020, 08:11 PM
The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. Small town Mississippi intrigue. So well written.

The Secret History , her first book is one of my all time favourites ....

CmoantheHibs
17-09-2020, 08:43 PM
The Secret History , her first book is one of my all time favourites ....

Yes I loved that one too. Great book.

s.a.m
17-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Yes I loved that one too. Great book.

Me too! As I remember, I disliked almost everybody in it, but still really enjoyed it.

Mibbes Aye
18-09-2020, 01:54 AM
I used to read ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists’ with my son, while he was adapting to ‘grown-up’ books. He has now gone back, after a few years, to reading it on his own, as he preps for his Highers.

I bought my daughter a copy of her own, but she is working through 1001 Arabian Nights. That might be a transition :greengrin

Nevertheless, both would rather be on social media or streaming my Spotify account to play music that makes me feel old because I don’t recognise it.

I have just taken on Orlando Figes ‘The Whisperers’. It is an account, as it were, of how ‘ordinary’ people survived and lived in Stalinist Russia. I have a couple of other of his works but the only one I have read is ‘Natasha’s Dance’ which is a narrative of Russia’s cultural history from the mid- nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century.

It is masterful. The title of the book refers to a scene from Tolstoy’s ‘War and Peace’. The author is informed, informative and not afraid to intellectualise.

My favourite bit is towards the end where he desctibes the relationship between Shostakovich and Stravinsky. I am an ardent fan of Shostakovich’s works and if it were a Desert zIsland Discs scenario then he would be the prime candidate, but Stravinsky can claim to have changed music in a way that few others have. Probably only Beethoven, Bach and maybe Monteverdi or Palestrina before him.

Craig_HFC
18-09-2020, 06:52 AM
I'm reading 'The Nowhere Men: The Unknown Story of Football's True Talent Spotters' by Michael Calvin and it's really interesting and enjoyable so far.

Moulin Yarns
19-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Anyone who likes crime novels should be watching Bloody Scotland crime festival this weekend.

https://bloodyscotland.com/watch/?mc_cid=859be3af2e&mc_eid=a6c4aafee8

Today at 1pm is Anne Cleeve and Peter May. I imagine Peter will be talking about the book he wrote in 2005,but was only published last month because the idea was too outlandish for people to relate to.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/lockdown/peter-may/9781529411690

Maybe everyone needs to read it.

heretoday
11-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Shuggie Bain. Anyone read it?
Honestly, judging by reviews it looks utterly miserable. I've had enough of that.
Gimme some laughs!

Moulin Yarns
11-12-2020, 03:33 PM
Honestly, judging by reviews it looks utterly miserable. I've had enough of that.
Gimme some laughs!

Try and find the BBC Scotland programme with Damien Barr where the author is interviewed. You might change your mind

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000nz0j/episodes/guide

Northernhibee
15-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Currently enjoying Viv Albertine’s autobiography “Clothes Clothes Clothes Boys Boys Boys Music Music Music”. Fabulous book and some great stories about the Slits, Sex Pistols, Clash and more. Can’t recommend enough.

CmoantheHibs
22-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Just finished the Water Dancer by Ta Nehisi Coates. Story about slave life in America with a bit supernatural thrown in. Great interesting character building and an engrossing story. I found it interesting and an enjoyable read.

Moulin Yarns
23-12-2020, 08:04 AM
Not a recommendation, but I am reading aloud every night after dinner a book called Silent Knit, Deadly Knit. It has 24 chapters so it is an advent book. It's a trashy murder mystery.

There is just my wife and I but I'm enjoying reading aloud to someone.

bigwheel
23-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Not a recommendation, but I am reading aloud every night after dinner a book called Silent Knit, Deadly Knit. It has 24 chapters so it is an advent book. It's a trashy murder mystery.

There is just my wife and I but I'm enjoying reading aloud to someone.

Nice thing to do together. [emoji106]

HibbyDave
27-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Reading another Reacher story “Worth Dying for”

The baddies are called

The Duncan’s

Can’t stop having a wee laugh every time I read their name.

Childish I know😂

HibbyDave
05-01-2021, 07:22 PM
Gimme some laughs!

Reading this just now. Half way through. Poverty, addiction and abuse laid bare interspersed with very dark humour.

I can’t put the book down ( except to post on here)😀

So far it’s a fantastic book!

Northernhibee
05-01-2021, 07:25 PM
Started Barack Obama's memoirs just recently. Very interesting so far and doesn't spend too much time on the pre-politics years which is a complaint I have about a lot of autobiographies or memoirs.

nellio
11-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Reading Tim Peake autobiography. very good so far. Interesting life he's had.

Franck Le God
16-01-2021, 08:34 AM
Reading Tim Peake autobiography. very good so far. Interesting life he's had.

Just finished that, really enjoyed it. More pilot than astronaut related content but some great stories all the same.

He's touring later in the year, few dates in Scotland.

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/tim-peake

G15 Hibs
16-02-2021, 10:32 AM
I started reading Doctor Zhivago recently after (almost) watching it all the way through for (almost) the second time ever around Christmas. If its anything like my attempts at watching the film then I might finish it around the time covid restrictions end for good.

CropleyWasGod
16-02-2021, 10:37 AM
I started reading Doctor Zhivago recently after (almost) watching it all the way through for (almost) the second time ever around Christmas. If its anything like my attempts at watching the film then I might finish it around the time covid restrictions end for good.

It's a tough read. Part of my problem was the complicated Russian names; I kept having to flick back through the pages to remind myself "who was that again?".

If you're still interested after what will be a marathon, my mate made a documentary about Pasternak a while back. It's not on iPlayer just now, but I'll ask him if it's anywhere else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09djrvr

Good luck :greengrin

G15 Hibs
16-02-2021, 10:42 AM
It's a tough read. Part of my problem was the complicated Russian names; I kept having to flick back through the pages to remind myself "who was that again?".

If you're still interested after what will be a marathon, my mate made a documentary about Pasternak a while back. It's not on iPlayer just now, but I'll ask him if it's anywhere else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09djrvr

Good luck :greengrin

Cheers man. It wasn't until this morning that I found out he was actually more of a poet than a novelist, which I suppose makes sense.

Re. the names - aye, the Russians make it complicated eh? I'm trying to decide whether its best to keep flicking back, or just remember the main characters and accept everyone else is just part of the background like a tree or something - focus on the atmosphere more than the specifics.

Dalianwanda
17-02-2021, 08:08 AM
I just finished John Cooper Clark’s autobiography..I was gonna say a brilliant read but I actually got the audio book. Amazingly candid & honest, painful & funny. The guys lived a life for sure.

degenerated
17-02-2021, 07:42 PM
Not long finished "how to ruin a record label" by Larry Livermore. Quite a humorous insight into the lookout record label.
Now reading "do what you want - the story of bad religion" which is pretty much what it says it is and the story of one of the best American punk bands.

Lancs Harp
19-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Currently working through The complete Sherlock Holmes by our very own Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Bit of a Sherlock fan. Top notch :thumbsup:

Peevemor
20-02-2021, 10:08 AM

There is just my wife and I but I'm enjoying reading aloud to someone.When I was around 30 and between wives, I had a ladyfriend who asked me to read to her. I was a bit taken aback and was surprised how intimate it felt, like I was showing a part of me that I ordinarily kept to myself (that's as well as I can explain it anyway).

Definitely a nice thing to do.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2021, 10:12 AM
When I was around 30 and between wives, I had a ladyfriend who asked me to read to her. I was a bit taken aback and was surprised how intimate it felt, like I was showing a part of me that I ordinarily kept to myself (that's as well as I can explain it anyway).

Definitely a nice thing to do.

Thirded.

My partner and I do it a lot. It perhaps harks back to childhood, if we had parents reading to us.

JeMeSouviens
20-02-2021, 10:07 PM
He remembered Bud Lawson. His wasn’t a face for forgetting. Angry, it belonged on a medieval church. Laidlaw had seen him angry in outrage, demanding that they bring out their proof, as if he was going to have a fist-fight with it. But he wasn’t angry now, or at least he was as near to not being angry as was possible for him – which meant his anger was displaced. It was in transit, like a lorry-load of iron, and he was looking for someone to dump it on. His jacket had been thrown on over an open-necked shirt. A [REDACTED]football-scarf was spilling out from the lapels.

Anybody care to guess what team Bud Lawson supported? :wink:

Brilliant bit of writing.

G15 Hibs
22-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Currently working through The complete Sherlock Holmes by our very own Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Bit of a Sherlock fan. Top notch :thumbsup:

Possibly the comfiest, most enjoyable book reading experience in the world. Love it.

Peevemor
22-02-2021, 01:35 PM
Possibly the comfiest, most enjoyable book reading experience in the world. Love it.

Years ago I picked up Neil Munro's "Parahandy and Other Tales" in Batgain Books or somewhere. It was well before the Gregor Fisher TV series, but a couple of my (real) West coast pals had spoken about it and I'd already visited Crinan etc. a few times, so when I saw the book for a couple of quid in the shop I thought - why not?.

There are also stories about Erchie MacPherson (IIRC), a Glasgow waiter.

It's definitely of it's time but great to read for 10-15 minutes at a time then just forget about it.

It's just when you spoke about a book being comfy - it's the first thing I thought of.

G15 Hibs
22-02-2021, 02:44 PM
Years ago I picked up Neil Munro's "Parahandy and Other Tales" in Batgain Books or somewhere. It was well before the Gregor Fisher TV series, but a couple of my (real) West coast pals had spoken about it and I'd already visited Crinan etc. a few times, so when I saw the book for a couple of quid in the shop I thought - why not?.

It's definitely of it's time but great to read for 10-15 minutes at a time then just forget about it.

It's just when you spoke about a book being comfy - it's the first thing I thought of.

Totally agree. I bought a copy in a charity shop a few years back and every so often, when I can't find anything that I want to read, I'll pick it up and read a couple of stories. Perfect for that kind of thing.

Thinking about it's making me long for the coast, been stuck in the city for months now!

oneone73
22-02-2021, 02:59 PM

I'm like that with Wodehouse - short stories mostly, but also the novels. There's no shortage of materials!

G15 Hibs
22-02-2021, 03:02 PM
I'm like that with Wodehouse - short stories mostly, but also the novels. There's no shortage of materials!

It's funny, I'm almost certain I would really enjoy Wodehouse but for some reason I've never got round to reading any. Where's the best place to start?

oneone73
22-02-2021, 03:32 PM
It's funny, I'm almost certain I would really enjoy Wodehouse but for some reason I've never got round to reading any. Where's the best place to start?

There are several anthologies - the Jeeves stories, the Blandings Castle tales, the golf stories, Drones Club anthologies - my favourite. For a flavour of them all, you could try Vintage Wodehouse, edited by Richard Usborne.
Published by Penguin.

G15 Hibs
22-02-2021, 03:35 PM
There are several anthologies - the Jeeves stories, the Blandings Castle tales, the golf stories, Drones Club anthologies - my favourite. For a flavour of them all, you could try Vintage Wodehouse, edited by Richard Usborne.
Published by Penguin.

Thanks

heretoday
25-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Billy Connolly to publish life story?

Reddit, reddit, reddit......

nellio
26-02-2021, 01:03 PM
Finished Tim Peake's excellent book and have now moved on to "The greatest footballer you never saw".

This book is about Robin Friday. A name a lot of you wont be familiar with but in Cardiff he is a cult hero. Was only with Cardiff for a season and moved on. A sublime talent who ultimately self destructed.

They are making a film of the book with Sam Clafin playing Friday. The man was an absolute lunatic!!

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2021, 07:49 PM
This is going to hurt - Adam Kay - funny and disturbing in equal measures.

Jonnyboy
26-02-2021, 08:46 PM
Finished Tim Peake's excellent book and have now moved on to "The greatest footballer you never saw".

This book is about Robin Friday. A name a lot of you wont be familiar with but in Cardiff he is a cult hero. Was only with Cardiff for a season and moved on. A sublime talent who ultimately self destructed.

They are making a film of the book with Sam Clafin playing Friday. The man was an absolute lunatic!!

Read that recently and fair enjoyed it :agree:

Lancs Harp
27-02-2021, 05:02 PM

Readings finest. I lived in Berkshire for 18 years, mainly in Newbury but 5 years of it in Reading. I had never heard of him till I moved there but he is a legend there.

HibbyDave
08-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Reading The Secret History of The World by Johnathan Black.

Fantastic read.

Jakhog1
08-08-2021, 05:57 PM
Just finished the Danny Trejo biography, what a life he has had, done so much work for his community and comes across as a person who cares about people who are struggling in life, he was in and out of jail, heroin user all from a very young age, just shows you, you don't know what is around the corner and your life can change at anytime

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-08-2021, 09:30 PM
Took me a while to get round to it but just finished the blade artist. Fantastic read

Read "The Women in the window" recently too. Was hooked.

What next?

Onceinawhile
23-08-2021, 01:15 PM
Just finished doctor socrates by Andrew downie which was thoroughly enjoyable.

Jakhog1
23-08-2021, 05:02 PM
Just started a book about a guys memoirs growing up in an Indian Reservation in the 50/60s called A Pale faced Lie by David Crow, what a read so far, the boy and his siblings suffered mental and physical abuse by his parents probably in a time when people turned a blind eye, only about 100 pages in but rally enjoying it so far.

G15 Hibs
26-05-2022, 12:14 PM
I picked up Yellow Dog by Martin Amis for a quid in a charity shop the other day. I've never read anything by him and, from looking at reviews post-purchase, it's meant to be his worst book. Enjoying it ok so far, 40-odd pages in. If nothing else, Marie Curie gets a quid out it (or two quid, as I bought Armadillo by William Boyd at the same time - another writer I've never read anything by before).

nonshinyfinish
26-05-2022, 12:17 PM
I picked up Yellow Dog by Martin Amis for a quid in a charity shop the other day. I've never read anything by him and, from looking at reviews post-purchase, it's meant to be his worst book. Enjoying it ok so far, 40-odd pages in. If nothing else, Marie Curie gets a quid out it (or two quid, as I bought Armadillo by William Boyd at the same time - another writer I've never read anything by before).

Haven't read Armadillo but I highly recommend William Boyd's Any Human Heart.

G15 Hibs
26-05-2022, 12:58 PM
Haven't read Armadillo but I highly recommend William Boyd's Any Human Heart.

Thanks

Onceinawhile
26-05-2022, 02:48 PM

Money was an enjoyable book. Only one of his I've read though, which suggests I didn't love it enough to go and track down his other books.

If anyone enjoys travel books then I can recommend the following:

Around the world in 80 trains.

Tears at La Bombanera (this is about travelling around South America, watching football games).

Both were really enjoyable.

Godsahibby
26-05-2022, 04:00 PM
Reading ‘The Cocaine Diaries’ by Paul Keany & Jeff Farrell at the moment. It’s about an Irish guy (Paul Keany) who gets caught smuggling drugs in Venezuela & gets locked up in Los Teques prison, it’s basically a diary of his experience.

Halfway through it just now and it’s pretty good, sounds absolutely mental.

If you enjoy this sort of thing try Marching Powder by Rusty Young. About an English smuggler who gets caught and locked up in Bolivia.

Craig_HFC
26-05-2022, 04:09 PM
If you enjoy this sort of thing try Marching Powder by Rusty Young. About an English smuggler who gets caught and locked up in Bolivia.

Aye I’ve read that one too, enjoyed it.

‘El Infierno’ by Pieter Tritton is decent too. That one’s in Ecuador.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Just finished Porno. Good read. Bought a few more IW books so I'll return to them over the coming months

Started The Lincoln Lawyer tonight after watching the series on Netflix

heretoday
09-07-2022, 01:56 AM
The Reckoning by John Grisham. This is a slight departure from the normal legal thriller by one of the experts. There are courtroom scenes but they're a sideline to a family saga that takes in small town life in the deep south and World War Two. It's intense stuff. Gripping.

Onceinawhile
09-07-2022, 03:13 PM
Just finished ali: his life and times.

Really good biography, although it was done early 90s so probably about 20 years out of date. Last chapter is maybe a wee bit preachy on the Islamic faith, but works given the other chapters. Was done with full consultation from Muhammad.

Moving onto "ultra, the underworld of Italian football" next.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2022, 05:31 PM
I've been reading the Agony of Victory.

A book about sportspeople who have pushed themselves to extremes and/or are the clichéd flawed genius.

Graeme Obree featured. I knew a bit about him but didn't realise just how shafted he had been by the cycling authorities. He was also shunned because he was calling out institutionalised doping years before anyone wanted to believe it. As one contributor put it he should have been the poster child for what could be achieved clean through innovation and instead he was vilified by blazers who were protecting cheats.

Peter Weber, Gerry Lingdren, Marshall Rogers and Dmitry Salita are some of the others to feature. It'd an interesting read and well written. Amazing how fine the line is between genius and insanity

hibsbollah
09-07-2022, 05:51 PM
Money was an enjoyable book. Only one of his I've read though, which suggests I didn't love it enough to go and track down his other books.

If anyone enjoys travel books then I can recommend the following:

Around the world in 80 trains.

Tears at La Bombanera (this is about travelling around South America, watching football games).

Both were really enjoyable.

Money is hilarious. I loved that book.