PDA

View Full Version : Research on Sexuality in Football

theacademic
30-03-2020, 05:14 AM
Dear all,

I am involved in some university research that is looking at sexuality in football and I would appreciate a few minutes of your time to share your thoughts on this subject. The survey is anonymous and can be found here:

https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5d4gVVLc7wZUS57

Thanks in advance for your time.

nonshinyfinish
30-03-2020, 07:56 AM
I've completed it – interested to see the results.

500miles
30-03-2020, 08:05 AM
I stopped at the second question about wolves, couldn't find the exact context. What was the abuse?

Sammy7nil
30-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Done I think some questions should have had none of the above option.

One Day
30-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Completed it. Let us know how u get on

superfurryhibby
30-03-2020, 08:44 AM
I can only imagine how hard it would be to come out as openly gay in Scottish football.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2020, 09:31 AM
"people in the [Reuters report] study think that the first openly gay footballer would have tremendous branding opportunities"

I appreciate this is to offset the negative aspects associtated with commercial pressures. But to put everything down to pound shillings and pence kinda misses the point IMO.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2020, 09:33 AM
I can only imagine how hard it would be to come out as openly gay in Scottish football.

would it as hard as it was for Maurice Johnson to move to Rangers?

I'm not really trying to equate it but trying to gauge the level of challenge. I guess with Mojo it was a subset of flumps.

bingo70
30-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Disagree.

I don’t think people would care.

I think generalising football supporters in that way is quite offensive, obviously there would be some that would take the piss but the idea that it would be this majority of people that would make his life unbearable is a nonsense imo.

Not necessarily directed at you btw, it’s just a view that’s annoyed me for a while.

nonshinyfinish
30-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Disagree.

I think generalising football supporters in that way is quite offensive, obviously there would be some that would take the piss but the idea that it would be this majority of people that would make his life unbearable is a nonsense imo.

Not necessarily directed at you btw, it’s just a view that’s annoyed me for a while.

I think you're probably right, but it's one thing for you or me to theorise about it and another thing entirely to be the one to test the theory in real life.

Green Reaper
30-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Cimpleted and quite interesting to reflect on these questions

Keith_M
30-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Disagree.

That would be great if it turned out that people didn't really care, but it's not so long ago that Hearts Fans were serenading us with the "Oh the Hibees are gay" chant, which to them was used as an insult.

There's also a current trend among some Fans to find any way possible to insult the opposition, no matter how childish or imbecilic. Like chanting "paedo, paedo" at players or rival fans..

FWIW, I still think Jimmy Hill was a poof*... but I don't think he was actually gay

* A walk down memory lane

PatHead
30-03-2020, 12:46 PM
That would be great if it turned out that people didn't really care, but it's not so long ago that Hearts Fans were serenading us with the "Oh the Hibees are gay" chant, which to them was used an as insult.

There's also a current trend among some Fans to find any way possible to insult the opposition, no matter how childish or imbecilic. Like chanting "paedo, paedo" at players or rival fans..

FWIW, I still think Jimmy Hill was a poof*... but I don't think he was actually gay

* A walk down memory lane

I genuinely feel society has moved on since the all the Hibees are gay chants, you wouldn't find fans adapting the "Bobby Moore walk like a woman and wear a bra" chant nowadays either. Time has moved on.

I always wondered why someone has to come out anyway. Look at Leeann, just lives a normal life. She didn't need to make a song and dance about it. People just accept her as she is. Don't understand why people need a label.

Vault Boy
30-03-2020, 12:57 PM
I genuinely feel society has moved on since the all the Hibees are gay chants, you wouldn't find fans adapting the "Bobby Moore walk like a woman and wear a bra" chant nowadays either. Time has moved on.

I always wondered why someone has to come out anyway. Look at Leeann, just lives a normal life. She didn't need to make a song and dance about it. People just accept her as she is. Don't understand why people need a label.

You should listen to some of the chants that away fans sing when they go to Brighton.

Leeann has gotten plenty of abuse on twitter and various other forms of social media about her sexuality. People have to 'come out' because most of the time others will just assume a stranger is straight. It's very common that a guy will be asked 'so do you have a girlfriend,' rather than 'so do you have a partner?' - that in itself necessitates somebody coming out.

I agree that we've generally improved, that's the trajectory of social progress anyway, but we have a long, long ways to go. The battle didn't end with equal marriage, for example.

where'stheslope
30-03-2020, 02:05 PM
Its an age generation thing, young ones today accept it more readily than some of the older generation.
If teachers at school now are telling kids from a young age about it, then it will be accepted by them.
In my time it was a taboo subject, and I don't know anyone from my time that ever openly admitted they were gay.

jacomo
30-03-2020, 03:05 PM
I think you're probably right, but it's one thing for you or me to theorise about it and another thing entirely to be the one to test the theory in real life.

For sure, although I also think it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

I imagine dressing rooms all a very different place these days - I’m sure plenty of players organise sex parties etc, nothing would faze them.

No doubt there would be some abuse from the terraces, but such abuse already exists... fans will use any perceived difference to try and isolate opponents.

nonshinyfinish
30-03-2020, 03:07 PM
For sure, although I also think it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

I imagine dressing rooms all a very different place these days - I’m sure plenty of players organise sex parties etc, nothing would faze them.

No doubt there would be some abuse from the terraces, but such abuse already exists... fans will use any perceived difference to try and isolate opponents.

Yes, my guess is that the worry would be much more about (a minority of) fans than about fellow players.

Man Down Under
30-03-2020, 03:30 PM
I think individually people wouldn't care, but you gets those individuals into a crowd and someone will bring them down a few levels.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

hibby rae
30-03-2020, 03:34 PM
I think individually people wouldn't care, but you gets those individuals into a crowd and someone will bring them down a few levels.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

I think that's a possibility, but I'm optimistic most wouldn't react that way, and I think you'd see a lot of respect for the player and acknowledgement of the big step they've taken.

One thing I think might put players off is the inevitable, probably unwanted, exposure by the media, particularly the tabloids.

It's asking a lot for someone to put themselves in the spotlight like that.

A few seasons back 11 players in the Bundesliga were going to announce together, but one or two got cold feet at the last minute and it didn't happen.

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2020, 05:49 PM
"Coming Out" shouldn't need to be a recognised decision, while it is we are still living in the dark ages.

superfurryhibby
30-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Some interesting points being made.

I would say that the challenges aren't just based on the reaction of fans, there will be challenges in dressing rooms too.

There were recent issues with the guy at Cowdenbeath who said he had experienced significant mental health issues and he reported that he was verbally abused by players he was playing against.

Based on demographics there should be gay players in our game. I wonder why none have openly come out?

Green Reaper
30-03-2020, 06:36 PM
"Coming Out" shouldn't need to be a recognised decision, while it is we are still living in the dark ages.

Completely agree Scouse, I never 'came out' as being Heterosexual and don't see why there is a need for anyone to do so, just because they are perceived to be different from the norm? Let people live life as they wish wuthout judgement as long as they are doing no harm to anyone else

mjhibby
30-03-2020, 07:01 PM
Disagree.

Anybody who has played sport at a decent level know how Macho,for want of a better word,it is. It will take many years for this to change. Folk are kidding themselves on if they think it's not very tough for guys to come out. I don't give two hoots what folk are but unfortunately there is still a stigma in competitive sport. Not to recognise this is naive and not facing the reality of the situation. It stands to reason that there must be hundreds of gay sportsman but very few admit it because of the hassle they would get. It shouldn't be that way but it will hopefully change.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Who are the most important people to “win over”?
Is the presumption it’s the fans and the rest will take care of itself?

granty6_2
30-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Started, but didn’t complete the questionnaire.

Got to say, some of the questions are poorly worded at best, possibly even leading at worst.

The questions did not appear to be impartial nor looking for balanced research.

Apologies for being negative, but trying to provide constructive criticism that will provide a more valid outcome.

theacademic
30-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Appreciate all of the feedback. Thanks to those who have completed the survey.

Platinum Scotty
30-03-2020, 08:44 PM
Done it - looking forward to the output

JimBHibees
31-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Started, but didn’t complete the questionnaire.

Got to say, some of the questions are poorly worded at best, possibly even leading at worst.

The questions did not appear to be impartial nor looking for balanced research.

Apologies for being negative, but trying to provide constructive criticism that will provide a more valid outcome.

Personally found the questions very reasonable.

neil7908
31-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Some interesting points being made.

I would say that the challenges aren't just based on the reaction of fans, there will be challenges in dressing rooms too.

There were recent issues with the guy at Cowdenbeath who said he had experienced significant mental health issues and he reported that he was verbally abused by players he was playing against.

Based on demographics there should be gay players in our game. I wonder why none have openly come out?

I think this is a really good point. Dressing rooms are already difficult places and you can could see within the club and certainly with opposition players this would put any player in the spotlight in a very uncomfortable way.

Despite a lot of good work from clubs in the homophobia, many people still hold pretty unsavoury views on this topic, and football dressing rooms are certainly not exempt from that.

Brightside
31-03-2020, 02:19 PM

I cant anymore. Does anyone really give a ***** about this stuff now. Yeh we would have the same arse holes shouting from the terraces but we will still have the same ones shouting racists abuse also. It has to be time for people to just be out and proud. They certainly are in the womens game.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2020, 02:23 PM
I cant anymore. Does anyone really give a ***** about this stuff now. Yeh we would have the same arse holes shouting from the terraces but we will still have the same ones shouting racists abuse also. It has to be time for people to just be out and proud. They certainly are in the womens game.

Agree with this, we need to deal with the racists and homophobes that out themselves at every game.

neil7908
31-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Who are the most important people to “win over”?
Is the presumption it’s the fans and the rest will take care of itself?

I think this is the presumption and whilst a gay player would undoubtedly be on the receiving end of some terrible abuse and would be targeted, sadly that's something pretty much all players have to deal with. Whether it's abuse at a derby due to a city rivalry, or because or race or other issues footballers have to be incredibly brave and resilient to handle all that is thrown at them.

My gut feeling is that players would be more concerned with how their teammates react as dealing with all the nonsense from the fans is probably seen as part of the job. But you need your colleagues on your side defending you on the pitch and off. I suspect many football dressing rooms would struggle to accept a gay player.