PDA

View Full Version : BBC replays of old cup finals

Diclonius
29-03-2020, 07:01 PM
Tuned in to watch the 1991 final just now, but not convinced this is the original commentary given that Ally McCoist is co-commentator. I imagine he wouldn't already be providing co-commentary in the early 90s when he was still at Rangers and 28? :confused:

Mainstandman
29-03-2020, 07:15 PM
I think he’d been out with injury then that’s why he was doing that . He came back to score that winner against us in the league cup final at Celtic park

Blurhibee
29-03-2020, 07:21 PM
They just announced the official attendance there as 56,000. Is it just me but when you see how full Hampden was when we beat Dunfermline in the league cup final and there was only 40,000 there find it very hard to believe there was more at the Utd v Motherwell than our game v the pars.

Since452
29-03-2020, 07:24 PM
They just announced the official attendance there as 56,000. Is it just me but when you see how full Hampden was when we beat Dunfermline in the league cup final and there was only 40,000 there find it very hard to believe there was more at the Utd v Motherwell than our game v the pars.

The Dunfermline end was pretty sparse from what I remember as a wee laddie with the Hibs end dangerously over crowded. I'd say there were 40k Hibs fans there at least

Blurhibee
29-03-2020, 07:30 PM
The Dunfermline end was pretty sparse from what I remember as a wee laddie with the Hibs end dangerously over crowded
Yeah the Hibs end was terribly overcrowded, I was young at that game too and I remember being lifted over the gate too so I wasn’t counted as being at the game which makes me wonder how many more where lifted over the gates that day

Joe6-2
29-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Yeah the Hibs end was terribly overcrowded, I was young at that game too and I remember being lifted over the gate too so I wasn’t counted as being at the game which makes me wonder how many more where lifted over the gates that day

I took my sons to the family enclosure, had plenty room. I know the other parts of the ground were parked

ACLeith
29-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Back on topic I was at the game in the United end - long story why. One of the best games I have ever seen but I was a neutral! Maxwell broke ribs and ruptured his spleen in the challenge but had to carry on as no sub keepers back then. The bravest performance I have ever seen.

And John O’Neill was a cracking player even back then. I had forgotten he was playing

Kato
29-03-2020, 08:17 PM
Back on topic I was at the game in the United end - long story why. One of the best games I have ever seen but I was a neutral! Maxwell broke ribs and ruptured his spleen in the challenge but had to carry on as no sub keepers back then. The bravest performance I have ever seen.

And John O’Neill was a cracking player even back then. I had forgotten he was playing

Was at the game as well with a Dundee Utd supporting pal. As you say cracking match.

Been to a few games as a neutral and that one is hard to beat.

Billy Whizz
29-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Was at the game as well with a Dundee Utd supporting pal. As you say cracking match.

Been to a few games as a neutral and that one is hard to beat.

I was a neutral at the Aberdeen v Hearts 1986 Cup Final, I was in the Dons end😀

Kato
29-03-2020, 08:21 PM
I was a neutral at the Aberdeen v Hearts 1986 Cup Final, I was in the Dons end😀

Cracker.

I was also at the 1988 Dundee Utd/Celtc one. Red Cards for Thatcher.

Since452
29-03-2020, 08:23 PM
The 1991 final and 2016 final must be the best two in living memory

ACLeith
29-03-2020, 08:32 PM
The 1991 final and 2016 final must be the best two in living memory

Wouldn’t argue with that.

Hibby70
29-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Anyone see Phil O'Donnell drinking tea from a teacup before extra time? That game would have had 5 sending offs if it was played now. Dave Bowman would have had 3 red cards.

Great entertainment.

Since452
29-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Wouldn’t argue with that.

Dundee United final (in 94?), must have been agonising for them hanging on to their lead with the old Rangers battering them. Only one goal but really memorable.

ACLeith
29-03-2020, 08:51 PM
Dundee United final (in 94?), must have been agonising for them hanging on to their lead with the old Rangers battering them. Only one goal but really memorable.

A United mate says we got off lightly in 2016 only having to hold on for a couple of minutes whereas they had nearly a whole half. He did agree though that the pleasure of beating the Huns in a cup final was as enjoyable no matter who did it. Most of the country were Arabs in 1994 and Hibees in 2016.

And ironic that Maxwell made a mess of the goal after his heroics in 1991.

Alan62
29-03-2020, 08:54 PM
He did indeed. He actually returned from injury in a reserve game at Easter Road. I got sent by Edinburgh Sport to cover the match and had to write nine different articles for different papers and interview McCoist after the match. Hardest. Shift. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
29-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Is there a schedule available to show when they’re showing what finals?

Might get a few beers in for the rerun of the 2016 final.

Feed McGraw
29-03-2020, 09:08 PM
I think he’d been out with injury then that’s why he was doing that . He came back to score that winner against us in the league cup final at Celtic park Don`t think it was that injury ( the one he came back from in the league cup final) .He broke his leg v. Portugal in March 1993, the league cup final was seven months after that - so a fair bit after 1991.

Jones28
29-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Is there a schedule available to show when they’re showing what finals?

Might get a few beers in for the rerun of the 2016 final.

They’ve been giving a bit of notice on the Facebook page.

Moulin Yarns
29-03-2020, 09:20 PM
They’ve been giving a bit of notice on the Facebook page.

Is there a link please?

Wakeyhibee
29-03-2020, 09:56 PM

Dunfy end was only half full if that and the main stand was restricted by then to half or less

Kato
29-03-2020, 10:07 PM
Dunfy end was only half full if that and the main stand was restricted by then to half or lessPlenty Hibs fans in the Dunfermline end that day too.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Wakeyhibee
29-03-2020, 10:15 PM
Plenty Hibs fans in the Dunfermline end that day too.

I was in the north, level with the18yd by the Dunfy fans. Lucky as they were soon to close the gates. I presume many locked out would have done that.

Kato
29-03-2020, 10:23 PM
I was in the north, level with the18yd by the Dunfy fans. Lucky as they were soon to close the gates. I presume many locked out would have done that.I got onto the main terrace seconds before they shut the gates, dragged two pissed mates by their collars along the road to get there. I remember someone posted on here donkeys ago that their whole bus ended up in the DUFC end.

pollution
30-03-2020, 11:31 AM
The Dunfermline end was pretty sparse from what I remember as a wee laddie with the Hibs end dangerously over crowded. I'd say there were 40k Hibs fans there at least

There were a lot of Celtic fans in the Hibs enclosure under the old stand.

King Cosell
30-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Have the BBC/has anyone still got the 1979 cup final and highlights of the replays?