PDA

View Full Version : Simon Murray

Boominator
28-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Surely worth considering now a free agent and back in scotland?

matty_f
28-03-2020, 10:41 PM
Nope. After a good start with us he barely kicked a ball and we improved after he left. Cracking guy and thought a lot of him, but it would be a big step backwards, imho.

tonyrougier123
28-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Would have him back no problem I thought the signing of stokes was a big factor in his form dipping.

JohnM1875
28-03-2020, 10:58 PM
Think he'd compliment Doidge really well actually. And free as well. Why not!

CloudSquall
28-03-2020, 11:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuX4gsCHiF8

Yes please.

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2020, 11:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuX4gsCHiF8

Yes please.

Brilliant nutmeg on Soapy Soutar ball was in the onion bag before you could say “natural order” fast as you like!

Ozyhibby
28-03-2020, 11:26 PM
No thanks. There will be better available for the money we can afford by August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CloudSquall
29-03-2020, 12:48 AM
Brilliant nutmeg on Soapy Soutar ball was in the onion bag before you could say “natural order” fast as you like!

I did get quite nostalgic watching those highlights along with the 2-0 game that McLaren scored in, hard to think of another period in which we had that swagger Vs them.

The 90+2
29-03-2020, 12:53 AM
He’s going to Australia apparently. Won’t be back at Hibernian.

.Sean.
29-03-2020, 07:24 AM
Would offer far more than Marc McNulty, even as an option off the bench.

Two cracking goals, at Ibrox and a winner against Hearts and really seemed to buy into Hibs. One of the good guys anyway.

we are hibs
29-03-2020, 08:01 AM
Would have him back no problem I thought the signing of stokes was a big factor in his form dipping.

Or the fact he wasnt playing lower league teams in the league cup.

Scored against Rangers and Hearts. Apart from that he was nowhere near good enough. Contrary to popular belief amongst hibs fans, running about lots doesnt mean someone is a good player.

Brightside
29-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Would offer far more than Marc McNulty, even as an option off the bench.

Two cracking goals, at Ibrox and a winner against Hearts and really seemed to buy into Hibs. One of the good guys anyway.

Jesus.

.Sean.
29-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Jesus.
Sorry, is that blasphemy in your book against McNulty?

Brightside
29-03-2020, 08:35 AM
Sorry, is that blasphemy in your book against McNulty?

Marc is a much better player than Simon Murray.

Scouse Hibee
29-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Or the fact he wasnt playing lower league teams in the league cup.

Scored against Rangers and Hearts. Apart from that he was nowhere near good enough. Contrary to popular belief amongst hibs fans, running about lots doesnt mean someone is a good player.

Agreed, ex players always seem to improve in peoples minds once they have left, absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder for many Hibs fans.

supermcginn
29-03-2020, 08:48 AM

Disagree. And Murray can actually score against a top 6 team and works far harder. He also wouldn't let himself get overweight like McNulty has.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Disagree. And Murray can actually score against a top 6 team and works far harder. He also wouldn't let himself get overweight like McNulty has.

Of the teams currently in the top 6, McNulty has more goals against them for Hibs than Murray I believe.

Wilson
29-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Agreed, ex players always seem to improve in peoples minds once they have left, absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder for many Hibs fans.

He didn't disgrace himself in a hibs shirt. He was enthusiastic and a lot of fans love the effort. I was sad to see him go.

I'd agree though with your point about absence. It is more a lack of strikers that makes him look like a good option now. Given the big talk from Ron Gordon et al I would like to think we're looking for much better to take us forward.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2020, 09:20 AM
I liked Murray. He's the kind of striker that plays in teams that finish 5th, 6th or 7th in the league though.

We have aspirations to be better than that. We need better players than Murray to achieve that.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 09:38 AM

McNulty has offered nothing this season apart from his hatrick against the butchers bakers and candlestick makers

On what I have seen so far I do not expect to see him being offered a contract anytime soon

Needs to buck up his ideas big time

What was he thinking against Hearts? :confused:

Eyrie
29-03-2020, 09:59 AM
I liked Murray. He's the kind of striker that plays in teams that finish 5th, 6th or 7th in the league though.

We have aspirations to be better than that. We need better players than Murray to achieve that.

I liked him as well, but I'd describe him as a squad player at best for a midtable club.

We'll need a new partner for Doidge when McNulty's loan is over but I'm looking for better than Murray if we're to consistently challenge for Europe and have good cup runs. I'd also prefer to see Gullan getting regular playing time off the bench and the occasional start as our third striker. Don't see Murray wanting to be the fourth choice or being clearly better than Gullan as the third striker.

supermcginn
29-03-2020, 10:05 AM
Of the teams currently in the top 6, McNulty has more goals against them for Hibs than Murray I believe.

Our biggest games are against hearts, rangers and Celtic. Murray scored against two of them, all McNulty has done is stamp on someone and miss a penalty.

Audio Visual
29-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Our biggest games are against hearts, rangers and Celtic. Murray scored against two of them, all McNulty has done is stamp on someone and miss a penalty.

And brilliantly set up Horgan's equaliser at Tynecastle if you want to be slightly more measured.

Billy Whizz
29-03-2020, 10:15 AM
He’s going to Australia apparently. Won’t be back at Hibernian.

Someone needs to tell him, he’s gone the wrong way😀

Gloucester Hibs
29-03-2020, 10:37 AM
I was disappointed to see Murray first of all phased out of the team in favour of the (inferior IMO) Ollie Shaw and then finally sold on. I didn’t think he did all that much wrong went on a 2 or 3 game dry run after scoring at Hamilton then was benched and that was that. But in hindsight we brought in McLaren and Flo and went from strength to the strength so what do I know!

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2020, 10:46 AM

No you said top 6. Murray scored against Rangers. McNulty has goals against Motherwell and Aberdeen.

Our biggest game is the next one.

PISTOL1875
29-03-2020, 11:43 AM

When Stokes came in and took Murray's place his form just nosedived.. Was doing fine untul Stokes came in .

Hibiza
29-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Take Simon back anytime .

southern hibby
29-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Boyle started at Hibs with pace and 100% effort and look what that’s achieved him. Murray could be the same. However can we afford to spend that much time giving a striker the opportunity we have Boyle? I’d like to think so.

GGTTH

bigwheel
29-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Boyle started at Hibs with pace and 100% effort and look what that’s achieved him. Murray could be the same. However can we afford to spend that much time giving a striker the opportunity we have Boyle? I’d like to think so.

GGTTH

I can’t see that as a good investment...Simon Murray is 28 years old. Boyle was 21 when he came to us...

In my view, Murray is a backward step - I can’t see our rivals such as Aberdeen are considering him - neither should we

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 12:10 PM
When Stokes came in and took Murray's place his form just nosedived.. Was doing fine untul Stokes came in .

Dunno Stokes came in 5/8/2017-30/12/2017 P 21 Scored 11
Simon Murray. 15/7/2017-27/1/2018 P 28 Scored 14

Pretty much of a muchness but admittedly Murray went his last eight games without scoring

Don’t know how much fire hydrant gate had to do with it but fair play to Neil Lennon he had enough and took a gamble on Jamie MAC and Flo which paid off bringing the best football to be played at Easter Road in a generation

jacomo
29-03-2020, 02:44 PM

Could be. Or could be that we was found out pretty quickly and found chances harder to come by.

Likeable guy but I’m not pushing for a return. I think he may need to move down a level.

jacomo
29-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Dunno Stokes came in 5/8/2017-30/12/2017 P 21 Scored 11
Simon Murray. 15/7/2017-27/1/2018 P 28 Scored 14

Pretty much of a muchness but admittedly Murray went his last eight games without scoring

Don’t know how much fire hydrant gate had to do with it but fair play to Neil Lennon he had enough and took a gamble on Jamie MAC and Flo which paid off bringing the best football to be played at Easter Road in a generation

Hello hyperbole!

We were good. But we weren’t that good.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Hello hyperbole!

We were good. But we weren’t that good.

The last six months of that season was probably the best since the Tornadoes unlucky not to do a lot better than we did

Dunno what planet you have been on?

All about opinions I suppose

Jamie scores the pen versus Aberdeen we beat the Hearts hammer the Hun jobs a good un

No?

Is that why Lenny threw a wobbly?

jacomo
29-03-2020, 04:03 PM
The last six months of that season was probably the best since the Tornadoes unlucky not to do a lot better than we did

Dunno what planet you have been on?

All about opinions I suppose

Jamie scores the pen versus Aberdeen we beat the Hearts hammer the Hun jobs a good un

No?

Is that why Lenny threw a wobbly?

Well we’ve won 3 cups since the Tornadoes and enjoyed some great players and times. We were irresistible under Mowbray at times.

2018 was very good on the whole until Lenny chucked his toys oot the pram, but the best we’ve played for a generation? You don’t need to be an alien to query such a sweeping statement.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Well we’ve won 3 cups since the Tornadoes and enjoyed some great players and times. We were irresistible under Mowbray at times.

2018 was very good on the whole until Lenny chucked his toys oot the pram, but the best we’ve played for a generation? You don’t need to be an alien to query such a sweeping statement.

Nae bother Spock but you gotta admit it was a rollercoaster ride and good while it lasted just a shame there was no silver lining

👍🏿

Tyler Durden
29-03-2020, 04:38 PM

Think your memory may be playing tricks on you on this. Stokes signed before the league season began.

CMurdoch
29-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Although fully fit now, Murray has not played since suffering a cruciate knee ligament damage last September

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 04:43 PM
Think your memory may be playing tricks on you on this. Stokes signed before the league season began.

Agree see my post Murray fell off a cliff the last two months but was going head to head with Stokes until then both scoring 25 goals between them before Lenny decided to get rid

we are hibs
29-03-2020, 06:54 PM
We can do better than both McNulty and Murray imo. Mcnulty does everything jamie maclaren was critised for yet it doesnt get mentioned. Maclaren was a better player and goalscorer.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 07:09 PM
We can do better than both McNulty and Murray imo. Mcnulty does everything jamie maclaren was critised for yet it doesnt get mentioned. Maclaren was a better player and goalscorer.

Naw Jamie MacLaren was gash all he did was score goals :greengrin

Keith_M
29-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Weren't most of Murray's Goals scored in the League Cup, against lower league teams?

jacomo
29-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Ah, the ‘player X is immune from criticism’ line.

Rarely true, and certainly not in this case.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Weren't most of Murray's Goals scored in the League Cup, against lower league teams?

Errrrrrrrrrrrr!.......only the seven not counting Hearts

TelaStella
29-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Think he'd compliment Doidge really well actually. And free as well. Why not!

Think you could be onto something here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southern hibby
29-03-2020, 10:28 PM
I can’t see that as a good investment...Simon Murray is 28 years old. Boyle was 21 when he came to us...

In my view, Murray is a backward step - I can’t see our rivals such as Aberdeen are considering him - neither should we

Not really an investment as its its a free. Yes there’s a gap in age but can or will we get better for a free with his speed? Even if he was third choice striker he would still be good to have.

GGTTH

The Modfather
29-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Definitely think a player like Murray would be a good partner for Doidge, but as others have pointed out. We’re a mid table team with this squad and don’t think Murray is good enough to help us climb much higher than where we are.

Keith_M
30-03-2020, 07:51 AM
Errrrrrrrrrrrr!.......only the seven not counting Hearts

OK.

I just don't really remember him as having scored a lot of league goals that season. Haven't checked, so could be wrong.

He did have quite a funny song though

bigwheel
30-03-2020, 08:06 AM
Not really an investment as its its a free. Yes there’s a gap in age but can or will we get better for a free with his speed? Even if he was third choice striker he would still be good to have.

GGTTH

Wages aren’t free....

I’m quite confident he won’t be being considered...wouldn’t improve us..so can’t see why we would bother with him.

Will end up in the championship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brightside
30-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Simon wasn’t a poor player for us but if everyone wants the squad to improve then that’s not the direction we will be going.

we are hibs
30-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Ah, the ‘player X is immune from criticism’ line.

Rarely true, and certainly not in this case.

I didnt say people thought he was immune from critisism. I said it didnt get mentioned whereas with MaClaren it was routinely mentioned. People were desperate for McNulty back despite him barely making an impact after the 2-1 win at tynie until the end of last season. We have got the exact same player as the one who left us. He wasnt good enough then and isnt now. He goes through games barely touching the ball (something maclaren was massively chastised for). I will be shocked if hes back in a hibs shirt again.

stu in nottingham
30-03-2020, 08:11 PM
A lot of respect for the player and his work ethic however, not the quality of player that Hibs should be signing if they aspire to improve.

PISTOL1875
31-03-2020, 02:45 PM

Yes I know this but when Murray was benched and Stokes took his place , his form suffered...........

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2020, 05:27 PM
Yes I know this but when Murray was benched and Stokes took his place , his form suffered...........

In Simon Murray’s last eight games when he fell off a cliff goals wise starting from 2/12/2017 he came off the bench four times out of the eight games he made a contribution

Stokesy only scored two goals in that period one of which was a late goal after he himself came off the bench

In the first half of the season they had scored 25 goals between them (see my earlier post)

Lenny obviously decided he had had enough

www.fitbastats.com

WeeRussell
31-03-2020, 06:11 PM
No you said top 6. Murray scored against Rangers. McNulty has goals against Motherwell and Aberdeen.

Even if it’s a pre-season friendly? 😗

angus hibby
31-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Believe he will be signing for Dundee.

supermcginn
31-03-2020, 08:07 PM

What a bore you are 😂

PISTOL1875
31-03-2020, 08:44 PM
In Simon Murray’s last eight games when he fell off a cliff goals wise starting from 2/12/2017 he came off the bench four times out of the eight games he made a contribution

Stokesy only scored two goals in that period one of which was a late goal after he himself came off the bench

In the first half of the season they had scored 25 goals between them (see my earlier post)

Lenny obviously decided he had had enough

www.fitbastats.com (http://www.fitbastats.com)

He hadn't enough in the sense of the phrase.. The opportunity was there to sign a scottish international but had to get rid of Stokes and Murray.. Deal was done to bring the player in in but Petrie stalled and the deal fell through.. Stokes and Murray were already away and we then were desperate for strikers.. Hence why Flo and Mclaren were brought in.....

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2020, 08:50 PM
What a bore you are 😂

But was I right?

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2020, 08:53 PM
He hadn't enough in the sense of the phrase.. The opportunity was there to sign Ikechi Anya but had to get rid of Stokes and Murray.. Deal was done to bring Anya in but Petrie stalled and the deal fell through.. Stokes and Murray were already away and we then were desperate for strikers.. Hence why Flo and Mclaren were brought in.....
OK !

First ah heard o that one

Fair dos

All water under the bridge now anyways

EI255
31-03-2020, 08:55 PM
No way.

We can and will find better. Sorry.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

PISTOL1875
31-03-2020, 08:58 PM
OK !

First ah heard o that one

Fair dos

All water under the bridge now anyways

Lennon wanted £1m from the sale of John McGinn to invest back into the team... Petrie obviously never gave him it and then the chain of events started to Lennon working his ticket.. He wanted to take the team further , challenge as high up the league as possible but the buffers were put on it.

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2020, 09:01 PM
Lennon wanted £1m from the sale of John McGinn to invest back into the team... Petrie obviously never gave him it and then the chain of events started to Lennon working his ticket.. He wanted to take the team further , challenge as high up the league as possible but the buffers were put on it.

Disnae sound too far fetched defo worked his ticket didnae want to be here

PISTOL1875
31-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Disnae sound too far fetched defo worked his ticket didnae want to be here

Do you blame him ? Wanted to take the club forward and any forward thinking plans are kiboshed by Petrie ???

MWHIBBIES
31-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Do you blame him ? Wanted to take the club forward and any forward thinking plans are kiboshed by Petrie ???

I do blame him because I don't believe that rubbish. Petrie wasn't cancelling deals, he's had nothing to do with transfers for a long time. Hibs were never going to just invest one million in the team on top of the deals already done either, utter fantasy stuff.

lord bunberry
31-03-2020, 11:42 PM
As a third striker Murray would be ideal. Can anyone tell me of another striker with his goal rate that was punted? His performance at ibrox was brilliant as was his goal.
https://youtu.be/brtGccgIb9U

Jim44
01-04-2020, 12:12 AM
As a third striker Murray would be ideal. Can anyone tell me of another striker with his goal rate that was punted? His performance at ibrox was brilliant as was his goal.

I don’t know about goal rate but I would put Eoin Doyle in the same bracket as Simon Murray, in that we got rid of him too hastily.

supermcginn
01-04-2020, 02:21 PM
But was I right?
as per usual... no

Hearts are our biggest game followed by rangers and celtic. Nobody remembers what people do against motherwell lol, what they will remember is mcnulty missing a penalty and stamping on somebody against our biggest rivals on our own ground.

Brightside
01-04-2020, 02:23 PM

Gullan will score loads for us.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2020, 02:27 PM
as per usual... no

Hearts are our biggest game followed by rangers and celtic. Nobody remembers what people do against motherwell lol, what they will remember is mcnulty missing a penalty and stamping on somebody against our biggest rivals on our own ground.
''as per usual'' :faf:

You said top 6 so I was right (which is actually the usual). You changed the question when I had the answer.

PISTOL1875
02-04-2020, 12:09 PM
I do blame him because I don't believe that rubbish. Petrie wasn't cancelling deals, he's had nothing to do with transfers for a long time. Hibs were never going to just invest one million in the team on top of the deals already done either, utter fantasy stuff.

OK then you're entitled to your opinion.. If you don't believe me then that is fine....

BILLYHIBS
02-04-2020, 12:32 PM
I am not in the know so any wee snippets of gossip past or present real or made up all greatly appreciated

Not a lot else happening 😃

PISTOL1875
02-04-2020, 12:37 PM
I am not in the know so any wee snippets of gossip past or present real or made up all greatly appreciated

I am not gonna lie. I know guys who work in and around the club and pick up bits and pieces...

A lot of it is on the quiet so my mate doesn't get into trouble if it gets back......

Peevemor
02-04-2020, 12:39 PM
OK then you're entitled to your opinion.. If you don't believe me then that is fine....

I don't believe it.

During the season in question (17/18), staff costs increased by £800k - from £4.5m to £5.3m. In addition Kamberi was signed that summer along with others.

Therefore the fabled £1m was invested.

BILLYHIBS
02-04-2020, 12:41 PM
I am not gonna lie. I know guys who work in and around the club and pick up bits and pieces...

A lot of it is on the quiet so my mate doesn't get into trouble if it gets back......

Appreciate your input not all deals come to fruition for one reason or another

Any snippets gratefully appreciated

👍🏿

The Wireless
02-04-2020, 12:44 PM

When you are looking to sell the Club you wouldn’t spend a million, and he didn’t.

Peevemor
02-04-2020, 12:45 PM
When you are looking to sell the Club you wouldn’t spend a million, and he didn’t.

Yes he did.

MWHIBBIES
02-04-2020, 02:08 PM

You don't have to be in the know to make something up, why would you appreciate someone making something up :faf:

BILLYHIBS
02-04-2020, 02:14 PM
You don't have to be in the know to make something up, why would you appreciate someone making something up :faf:

Bored in Lockdown 😃

Besides I did not know anything about HIBS trying to sign some Scotland gadgie fascinating if true bring on more stories like that