PDA

View Full Version : Wage deferrals at Hibs

Heisenberg
28-03-2020, 07:17 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5436959/coronavirus-scotland-hibs-easter-road/

Been discussed today and will continue next week. Management staff and players happy with how the club have handled the situation and are prepared to help.

percy veer
28-03-2020, 07:18 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5436959/coronavirus-scotland-hibs-easter-road/

Been discussed today and will continue next week. Management staff and players happy with how the club have handled the situation and are prepared to help.

End the season now get the prize money dished out

CallumLaidlaw
28-03-2020, 07:18 PM
Sounds like it’s been dealt with very professionally. Well done Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sylar
28-03-2020, 07:20 PM
It's why I didn't join in some of the trumpeting and comedy around Hearts and Rangers. There won't be a single club in Scotland right now that aren't financially struggling to a degree.

It just shows how fragile the football salary bubble is up here - 3 weeks without a game and we're seeing widespread talk of wage reductions, potential administration etc.

Scouse Hibee
28-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Fair enough, every business has to approach the lack of revenue in which ever way they see fit to protect that business, the only hope is that business's treat their employees as fairly as possible in doing so.

IWasThere2016
28-03-2020, 07:24 PM
The sale of McGinn would help.

However, post CoVid there is a real risk, SJM won't go for the £50m mooted before - as there will surely be some 'correction' of wages and transfers fees in the game..

The 90+2
28-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Classy Hibernian.

One thing with Jack Ross, he’s going to have the players back at all times and will help a lot around the club given his background.

Brightside
28-03-2020, 07:26 PM
I put this on the PM board yesterday. The players have offered to go without pay (or a reduction) until we return to training. Hanlon, Gray, And Daz spoke to the rest of the squad about it.

B.H.F.C
28-03-2020, 07:30 PM
It's why I didn't join in some of the trumpeting and comedy around Hearts and Rangers. There won't be a single club in Scotland right now that aren't financially struggling to a degree.

It just shows how fragile the football salary bubble is up here - 3 weeks without a game and we're seeing widespread talk of wage reductions, potential administration etc.

Bit different to the Hearts scenario. We’re not talking about not paying folk what they’re due.

G B Young
28-03-2020, 07:31 PM

The article explicitly states that Hibs are approaching things in a different way to Hearts, who have rightly taken a barrage of flak for their sledgehammer approach. No question every club will be hit hard, but it's the hapless way Hearts have dealt with the situation that has caused such a stir.

Sylar
28-03-2020, 07:34 PM
Bit different to the Hearts scenario. We’re not talking about not paying folk what they’re due.

I absolutely understand that, I do. But clubs having to take measures to mitigate against financial losses is widespread and every club will be looking at how to tackle it in some way.

The article explicitly states that Hibs are approaching things in a different way to Hearts, who have rightly taken a barrage of flak for their sledgehammer approach. No question every club will be hit hard, but it's the hapless way Hearts have dealt with the situation that has caused such a stir.

Again, I totally understand that - Hearts have made a bit of a mess of how they've handled things, and I get the feeling they might have been doing this with, or without, the global pandemic.

I genuinely believe another 2-5 (if the lockdown etc is extended) weeks of this will see many smaller clubs go to the wall.

Kaff
28-03-2020, 07:40 PM
I said the other day that I thought this would be in the current timetable.
1. Club put out reassuring message although highlighting the potential problems ahead
2. Season tickets put on sale to try and normalise cash streams
3. Player wage deferrals discussed and positive noises made about players accepting its the correct route to take.

All the right way round and helps the fans to get behind the club as all players will be viewed as doing the same so putting in money for season tickets won't be begrudged for that reason.
It's obvious that going to Tynecastle for lessons on how to run a football club has helped enormously, I assume only in so far as do the opposite to Budge and everything will be alright!

The Harp
28-03-2020, 07:45 PM
I put this on the PM board yesterday. The players have offered to go without pay (or a reduction) until we return to training. Hanlon, Gray, And Daz spoke to the rest of the squad about it.

Can't see many in the squad prepared to disagree with Daz :)

04Sauzee
28-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Wage defferal is the way to go. Im assuming it will be a percentage deferred and still get some wage?

Nice to see Hibs are not talking about 50% wage cuts and not cancelling contracts

Ozyhibby
28-03-2020, 08:35 PM
Great gesture from the players and good that the club still want to honour the contracts. That is very important.

Gerard
28-03-2020, 08:39 PM
Great gesture from the players and good that the club still want to honour the contracts. That is very important.

Our club is handling the crisis it is the correct way to all the people who are impacted by it. Full Marks Hibs.

tamig
28-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Just inspired me to get the season tickets bought. Done.

Bobby's Cinema
28-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary here,
Sounds like the same conversations that most people are having at work up and down the country. Dealt with quietly in house with respect and minimal fuss unlike some.

Kojock
28-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Hibs have done exactly what they should be doing as a community club. Treat all their employees with respect and understanding and do what’s right for them. That’s why the staff are onside with the proposed plan. GGTTH

Pretty Boy
28-03-2020, 09:13 PM
I was reading earlier that some Juventus players and coaches are deffering wages so this is impacting clubs across the levels.

It's all about how you manage it. Talking constructively with players and opting for a deferment rather than a cut is how I would expect Hibs to handle it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-03-2020, 09:16 PM

And relegate the tramps.

jacomo
28-03-2020, 09:21 PM

As always, it’s the way you go about things. All businesses (including mine) all hurting but most recognise a duty of care to their employees.

The wee and zombie Huns are both petty, self-serving blowhards - if you needed any more evidence, their behaviour this week just proves it.

‘It’s all about me!’

No, no, it really isn’t.

Remember, Hearts told all their staff (not just the players) to take a 50% cut or bolt, by way of a public statement - even though plenty should now be guaranteed 80% by the government.

It was reprehensible behaviour.

04Sauzee
28-03-2020, 09:21 PM
I was reading earlier that some Juventus players and coaches are deffering wages so this is impacting clubs across the levels.

It's all about how you manage it. Talking constructively with players and opting for a deferment rather than a cut is how I would expect Hibs to handle it.
I was also reading that Juventus have debt of 400+Million Euros

munchar
28-03-2020, 09:25 PM
Sounds like it’s been dealt with very professionally. Well done Hibs.

That’s the difference when you do things professionally. I’ve no doubt our owner could have used funds put aside to keep paying the players, but this way, it shouldn’t hurt us financially if things get started sooner rather than later. The staff will probably get an increase gradually in their wages to ”catch up” monies owed. Great to see EVERY employee is treated the same.
Difference with our fantastic club, is that there’s no media ranting, and every thing is handled efficiently. No begging bowl out, but a great time for us fans who can manage it in theses testing times financially, to renew season tickets. We’ve got the best club in the world. Let’s show we’ve got the best fans also. ⚽️💚

RoYO!
28-03-2020, 09:28 PM
I absolutely understand that, I do. But clubs having to take measures to mitigate against financial losses is widespread and every club will be looking at how to tackle it in some way.

Again, I totally understand that - Hearts have made a bit of a mess of how they've handled things, and I get the feeling they might have been doing this with, or without, the global pandemic.

I genuinely believe another 2-5 (if the lockdown etc is extended) weeks of this will see many smaller clubs go to the wall.

Saying hertz have made a "bit of a mess of this" is like saying the Titanic had a "bit of a hole in it"..

Same outcome I'll grant you!

28-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Glad we are going down the wage deferral route and not the take a 50% cut or gtf route.

Well done to the players for getting on board and working with the club to figure out a solution.

Since452
28-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Hibs have handled this very well whereas Hearts came out all guns blazing threatening legal action and forcing players into wage cuts

whiskyhibby
28-03-2020, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a sensible, mutually agreeable way forward which says huge amounts about the positive relationship between players, club and management

ScottB
28-03-2020, 10:22 PM

Don’t expect to be allowed out your house much this side of June...

Gerard
28-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Don’t expect to be allowed out your house much this side of June...
That sounds about right

Eyrie
29-03-2020, 09:47 AM
Hibs have handled this very well whereas Hearts came out all guns blazing threatening legal action and forcing players into wage cuts

It's the clear difference between a responsible employer and one that immediately looks to exploit the situation to the detriment of its employees.

Moulin Yarns
29-03-2020, 11:21 AM
But the way it is being reported on the BBC sports bulletin it is as though both clubs are in dire straights.

Onion
29-03-2020, 11:57 AM

Exactly. Players unable to train and now not getting paid. It's Over !

Col2
29-03-2020, 12:20 PM
But the way it is being reported on the BBC sports bulletin it is as though both clubs are in dire straights.

BBC struggle to deal with anything that isn’t black or white unless it’s Rangers or Celtic. It’s like the Davie Proven school of reporting. Make your mind up before you have heard the facts.

murray26
29-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Well done Hibs very sensible approach.. this will make us stronger moving forward..

Col2
29-03-2020, 12:40 PM
The Hibs way. Measured and with class. Leadership very visible.

Moulin Yarns
29-03-2020, 12:58 PM
BBC struggle to deal with anything that isn’t black or white unless it’s Rangers or Celtic. It’s like the Davie Proven school of reporting. Make your mind up before you have heard the facts.

Willie Miller didn't even know what amount the government were paying for furlough employees, £2900 apparently

CMurdoch
29-03-2020, 12:59 PM
The way you react to a crisis often depends how close you are to going over the rapids.
Hibs are probably the best financially placed Scottish football club outside of Celtic.
No debt, big wedge in the bank, and importantly not gagging on any particular revenue stream to come in plus no massive earners on the books.
As a result our owner and executive have, from a safe vantage point, been able to take a breath and work out the best way forward.

Jones28
29-03-2020, 01:43 PM

The difference is the way different clubs will arrive at this point. Hibs have done it quietly and been dignified. Hearts? 3 statements, leaked conversations, basically a big mess of *****.

Keith_M
29-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Article in today's Evening News (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-players-hold-talks-club-chiefs-over-wages-wont-be-asked-take-pay-cut-2521728) suggesting Hibs aren't going to ask players to take wage cuts.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
29-03-2020, 03:39 PM

They are waiving not deferring wages for 4 months. Total value £80 million!

Lago
29-03-2020, 04:40 PM

Totally agree, worrying situation.

Kaff
29-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Forgot about this earlier but if the players are being lead by SDG, Daz and Hanlon towards proposed deferment then it's another example of why the wind down contracts that SDG and Daz were given are 100% correct for these characters.
Always thought they were the type of influence we need to retain and the rerun of 2012 final should hammer that home to ditherers.
Their action here should galvanise the squad, aid the club through a difficult time and make sure we come out the other side stronger than many rivals.
Hanlon and Stevenson should have similar for when the time comes too, the savings from this situation will offset any perceived lack of footballing return we've maybe had as they are being wound down as first picks.

B.H.F.C
29-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Forgot about this earlier but if the players are being lead by SDG, Daz and Hanlon towards proposed deferment then it's another example of why the wind down contracts that SDG and Daz were given are 100% correct for these characters.
Always thought they were the type of influence we need to retain and the rerun of 2012 final should hammer that home to ditherers.
Their action here should galvanise the squad, aid the club through a difficult time and make sure we come out the other side stronger than many rivals.
Hanlon and Stevenson should have similar for when the time comes too, the savings from this situation will offset any perceived lack of footballing return we've maybe had as they are being wound down as first picks.

If we’re only talking about deferring, there aren’t going to be any savings.

Keith_M
29-03-2020, 07:31 PM
They are waiving not deferring wages for 4 months. Total value £80 million!

If Juventus actually do have a debt of around 400 million, then that's just as well.

Kaff
29-03-2020, 07:56 PM
If we’re only talking about deferring, there aren’t going to be any savings.

If it doesn't save us anything then why bother?
It's making sure we can negotiate this period with minimal disruption so of course it's saving us

B.H.F.C
29-03-2020, 07:57 PM
It's making sure we can negotiate this period with minimal disruption so of course it's saving us

We’ll be paying out the same money, just over an extended period of time.

It helps us from a cash flow perspective but it doesn’t cost us any less.

Peevemor
29-03-2020, 07:59 PM
It's making sure we can negotiate this period with minimal disruption so of course it's saving usExactly. If we start defaulting on payments then things become difficult.

timebomb
30-03-2020, 12:31 PM
I’m all for points scoring with hearts / Hibs but not at this time when everyone’s lives in turmoil and no-one knows where we are going to be in 6 months

Did I like the reported way hearts did what they did - hell no but at the same time, deferring wages would concern me

If you knew the new season was starting in x months time and you could project a cash flow in then perfect, you can factor in paying back o/s wages. But what happens if we get to July/August and there is no end sight to this - you are then accruing a sizeable debt and then likely to need to cut wages on top of it

For what it’s worth - I hope both teams come out relatively unscathed

Brightside
30-03-2020, 01:21 PM
I’m all for points scoring with hearts / Hibs but not at this time when everyone’s lives in turmoil and no-one knows where we are going to be in 6 months

Did I like the reported way hearts did what they did - hell no but at the same time, deferring wages would concern me

If you knew the new season was starting in x months time and you could project a cash flow in then perfect, you can factor in paying back o/s wages. But what happens if we get to July/August and there is no end sight to this - you are then accruing a sizeable debt and then likely to need to cut wages on top of it

Anne'd decision making and PR has been terrible. Just talk to staff first. Thats been the main problem with all this. It would have taken no time to consult with staff, and not just playing staff. I know personally Hearts staff that were just let go without any warning. All teams will have to do something but just treat people with respect. I see over at Kickback that people are making her out to be some sort of genius with her approach....thats madness.

CapitalGreen
30-03-2020, 01:23 PM
We’ll be paying out the same money, just over an extended period of time.

It helps us from a cash flow perspective but it doesn’t cost us any less.

It does potentially save us money if it means we avoid any need for borrowing which could be subject to interest.

where'stheslope
30-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Anne'd decision making and PR has been terrible. Just talk to staff first. Thats been the main problem with all this. It would have taken no time to consult with staff, and not just playing staff. I know personally Hearts staff that were just let go without any warning. All teams will have to do something but just treat people with respect. I see over at Kickback that people are making her out to be some sort of genius with her approach....thats madness.
Only time will tell if she a genius or a prat, but at least she came out and said what she wanted to do and why.
If its our way of deferral, then we could lose all our reserves by the time it all kicks off again.
There is no easy way to go with this, if your workplace has no work in the pipeline they would be telling the workforce this is what we plan to do.
Axe jobs and reduce wages until either the work comes in or the liquidator is called!
I know I've been in that situation and its not nice!!!!

Peevemor
30-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Only time will tell if she a genius or a prat, but at least she came out and said what she wanted to do and why.
If its our way of deferral, then we could lose all our reserves by the time it all kicks off again.
There is no easy way to go with this, if your workplace has no work in the pipeline they would be telling the workforce this is what we plan to do.
Axe jobs and reduce wages until either the work comes in or the liquidator is called!

But she hasn't been truthful as to the "why" has she?

Hearts had 4 home games left. The £500k income she estimated is extremely generous and is turnover - not profit. Even at that, she's including revenue from pies, etc. that she doesn't have to buy.

The loss of income from the SC semi will be a blow (as it is for Hibs), but it certainly wouldn't (at least shouldn't) have been budgeted.

The real loss to Hearts, compared to their budget projections, will be closer to £200k. On a turnover of £10m+ this shouldn't be enough to cause the panic drastic measures that it has.

No, the real reason is that once again they've vastly overspent - she hasn't admitted that at all.

Caversham Green
30-03-2020, 02:40 PM

I'm pretty sure the deferrals will have an end date - say three months - and the catch up schedule will have been costed. If there is no end in sight after the deferral period the whole position will have to be reviewed.

But she hasn't been truthful as to the "why" has she?

Hearts had 4 home games left. The £500k income she estimated is extremely generous and is turnover - not profit. Even at that, she's including revenue from pies, etc. that she doesn't have to buy.

The loss of income from the SC semi will be a blow (as it is for Hibs), but it certainly wouldn't (at least shouldn't) have been budgeted.

The real loss to Hearts, compared to their budget projections, will be closer to £200k. On a turnover of £10m+ this shouldn't be enough to cause the panic drastic measures that it has.

No, the real reason is that once again they've vastly overspent - she hasn't admitted that at all.

They will also have saved on travel expenses for away games plus extra payments for appearances, goals and wins. I might have taken that last bit too far.

It's telling that six weeks after playing in the cup final and after collecting £5.2m for this season's season tickets they had less than £600k in the bank. That looks like very poor management to me.

Heisenberg
31-03-2020, 09:50 PM
20% cut to be repaid in December then May 2021. No new signings till players back on full wages.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5446764/hibs-ron-gordon-promises-no-signings-full-pay/

SMAXXA
31-03-2020, 09:57 PM
20% cut to be repaid in December then May 2021. No new signings till players back on full wages.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5446764/hibs-ron-gordon-promises-no-signings-full-pay/

I think the club and played are handling this brilliantly

JohnM1875
31-03-2020, 10:02 PM

I'm not entirely sure I understand it? Does it mean absolutely no new signings until players are paid back?

Or not signing a player over anyone who accepts the wage deferral?

If the former is that even possible? Would we have enough players when the loans expire/contracts end at the end of this season?

I agree it's been handled phenomenally well though. Just a bit confused.

Heisenberg
31-03-2020, 10:09 PM
I'm not entirely sure I understand it? Does it mean absolutely no new signings until players are paid back?

Or not signing a player over anyone who accepts the wage deferral?

If the former is that even possible? Would we have enough players when the loans expire/contracts end at the end of this season?

I agree it's been handled phenomenally well though. Just a bit confused.

I’d imagine players will start receiving their full wage again when they are back training full time with the club and we have confirmation of what’s going to happen with games etc. I took it to mean once that happens we’ll make signings, but we won’t be making signings when there’s still players getting less than they’re due.

JohnM1875
31-03-2020, 10:11 PM
I’d imagine players will start receiving their full wage again when they are back training full time with the club and we have confirmation of what’s going to happen with games etc. I took it to mean once that happens we’ll make signings, but we won’t be making signings when there’s still players getting less than they’re due.

Right! That actually makes much more sense.

Some club we are! Hopefully the way Ron has dealt with this whole situation will turn any doubters around.

ScottB
31-03-2020, 10:25 PM
Sounds like we won’t sign players while the 20% cut is in place, so we can sign players once they’re back on their regular salaries, but before they’ve been repaid in full, which makes sense. I assume they’ll go back up to 100% when football resumes, and I can’t see the transfer window opening prior to that.

RoYO!
31-03-2020, 10:36 PM

Far too much credit given in the first sentence or two. Her actions were callous, ill-considered and have ultimately done no end of damage. Both in optics and I'm sure at squad level. Some will say its calculated and shrewd. But hibs have shown that there were other options. That you get further when you pull together, not tear apart.

where'stheslope
01-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Far too much credit given in the first sentence or two. Her actions were callous, ill-considered and have ultimately done no end of damage. Both in optics and I'm sure at squad level. Some will say its calculated and shrewd. But hibs have shown that there were other options. That you get further when you pull together, not tear apart.
We have options and money in the bank, she has no options and no money in the bank!
If I was in their position I would make drastic actions as quickly as possible, to stave of possible administration.
As for bad press, if they go to the wall, its the SPFL, SFA and PFA who will have been short sighted to one of their clubs plight!!!
I know a lot on here are just waiting to see the trapdoor open on them, but whatever anyone says, they are our biggest rivals and we will lose the one game we really love to win!!!!!

Sammy7nil
01-04-2020, 03:55 PM
We have options and money in the bank, she has no options and no money in the bank!
If I was in their position I would make drastic actions as quickly as possible, to stave of possible administration.
As for bad press, if they go to the wall, its the SPFL, SFA and PFA who will have been short sighted to one of their clubs plight!!!
I know a lot on here are just waiting to see the trapdoor open on them, but whatever anyone says, they are our biggest rivals and we will lose the one game we really love to win!!!!!

Only for a year or two and that will be worth it :aok:

where'stheslope
21-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Nice to see Ozil Mesut really pulling his weight at Arsenal, take a 12.5% wage cut on your £350,000 a week!
Answer naw, I'll wait and see how it all works out? £1.4 million a month and wants to see how it plays out???

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2020, 03:52 PM
Nice to see Ozil Mesut really pulling his weight at Arsenal, take a 12.5% wage cut on your £350,000 a week!
Answer naw, I'll wait and see how it all works out? £1.4 million a month and wants to see how it plays out???

He is entitled to do so. Arsenal should never have given him those wages. Top quality player but injury issues, his inconsistency and his position being rarely used now mean he definitely isn't worth it.

Hibs.net - "I don't blame players for leaving Hibs, it's a short career, they have to make money"

Also Hibs.net - " disgraceful these footballers won't waive hundreds of thousands of their own money"

Mesut ozil does PLENTY of charity work, he recently paid for hundreds of life saving operations. Maybe he thinks his charities can do better with the money than Arsenal saving it?

Ozyhibby
21-04-2020, 03:56 PM
He is entitled to do so. Arsenal should never have given him those wages. Top quality player but injury issues, his inconsistency and his position being rarely used now mean he definitely isn't worth it.

Hibs.net - "I don't blame players for leaving Hibs, it's a short career, they have to make money"

Also Hibs.net - " disgraceful these footballers won't waive hundreds of thousands of their own money"

Mesut ozil does PLENTY of charity work, he recently paid for hundreds of life saving operations. Maybe he thinks his charities can do better with the money than Arsenal saving it?

Yip, if I was playing abroad for a club I had no connection to I would be wanting my full contract honoured.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2020, 04:05 PM
Yip, if I was playing abroad for a club I had no connection to I would be wanting my full contract honoured.

Thing is, he is willing to take a paycut, he just wants information on how the money will be used and assurance it won't be used to line the greedy owners pockets. Kroenke is mega rich and will still be making huge amounts of money through his businesses.

Sammy7nil
21-04-2020, 04:49 PM

I get football is a short career and you should try to maximise your income, however not many people retire in their mid thirties. There are several jobs footballers could take up when their "career" is over.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2020, 05:30 PM
I get football is a short career and you should try to maximise your income, however not many people retire in their mid thirties. There are several jobs footballers could take up when their "career" is over.

Or they could earn 1.4 million a month and never work again.

where'stheslope
21-04-2020, 05:53 PM
Or they could earn 1.4 million a month and never work again.
Not many on here will ever earn his month wage in our lifetime
Take your yearly salary you were earning before lockdown and multiply it by the number of years you will have worked till your retiral date, you'll see the slight discrepancy in his salary to yours!!!!
And as others have said he gives money to charities, but it is a well known fact that you offset that against taxation!!!!
Its known as free street cred!!!

CropleyWasGod
21-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Take your yearly salary you were earning before lockdown and multiply it by the number of years you will have worked till your retiral date, you'll see the slight discrepancy in his salary to yours!!!!
And as others have said he gives money to charities, but it is a well known fact that you offset that against taxation!!!!

It's definitely not free.

Sammy7nil
21-04-2020, 06:05 PM

I agree but why is it almost accepted that if you have a ten year SPL career with one of the top five clubs you should not have to work again?

Footballers that are paid over £5k a week are imho paid too much. Tickets and TV should be far cheaper so everyone has access to the game.

I know I am in cloud cuckoo land but so are those that pay Arron Ramsey £600,000 a week.

CropleyWasGod
21-04-2020, 06:08 PM
I agree but why is it almost accepted that if you have a ten year SPL career with one of the top five clubs you should not have to work again?

Footballers that are paid over £5k a week are imho paid too much. Tickets and TV should be far cheaper so everyone has access to the game.

I know I am in cloud cuckoo land but so are those that pay Arron Ramsey £600,000 a week.

Was this meant for me?

I was responding to the post that claimed charitable donations are "free street-cred".

Ozyhibby
21-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Footballers are worth every penny to the people who pay them.

where'stheslope
21-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Read the next charity envelope you get through the door for donations.
There will be a box to tick so the charity can claim the tax back on your donation.
All big companies give to charities and claim it back through less taxation, the same way Ozil's accountant will do for him.

CropleyWasGod
21-04-2020, 06:18 PM
There will be a box to tick so the charity can claim the tax back on your donation.
All big companies give to charities and claim it back through less taxation, the same way Ozil's accountant will do for him.

I don't need to read any envelopes :greengrin

Even if Ozil ticks all the boxes to enable him to claim Gift Aid Relief at Higher Rates (and that's not a given, given his nationality), the most he could claim back would be 25% of his grossed-up donation.

So, if he donates £1m to charity, he will reduce his tax bill by £300k.

He's still out of pocket by £700k. That's not free.

SquashedFrogg
21-04-2020, 06:21 PM

Not true.

hibbyfraelibby
21-04-2020, 06:21 PM
I don't need to read any envelopes :greengrin

Even if Ozil ticks all the boxes to enable him to claim Gift Aid Relief at Higher Rates (and that's not a given, given his nationality), the most he could claim back would be 25% of his donation. (that is, his top rate of tax of 45%, less the 20% that the charity can reclaim).

So, if he donates £1m to charity, he will reduce his tax bill by £250k.

He's still out of pocket by £750k. That's not free.

Thats not how gift aid works. He doesn't get the tax back or offset the receiving charity does. He still has to have paid the tax in the first place.

CropleyWasGod
21-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Thats not how gift aid works. He doesn't get the tax back or offset the receiving charity does. He still has to have paid the tax in the first place.

Yes it is :greengrin

Higher rate taxpayers get additional relief.

hibbyfraelibby
21-04-2020, 06:31 PM
Yes it is :greengrin

Higher rate taxpayers get additional relief.

Sorry missed the point on higher rate. Yes the charity gets 25p in pound back he pockets the balance.

Sammy7nil
21-04-2020, 06:34 PM
Was this meant for me?

I was responding to the post that claimed charitable donations are "free street-cred".

Ha ha yes I was agreeing it was not free. I than went on a rant :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
21-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Ha ha yes I was agreeing it was not free. I than went on a rant :greengrin

:greengrin:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2020, 07:14 PM

The guy is (was probably) a world class, world cup winning footballer, one of the best creative midfielders on his generation. Obviously there is a huge discrepancy. I'm not mad about this, if I had his talent I'd be expecting to earn more than someone in my job.