PDA

View Full Version : This is how it felt (Celtic 05 08 1972)

Jonnyboy
26-03-2020, 10:00 PM
1972 is my year of choice for my ‘how it felt’ offering and specifically 5th August 1972 when Hibs faced Celtic at Hampden Park in the final of the Drybrough Cup. Just a few short months earlier, at the same venue, Hibs were crushed 6-1 by Celtic in the final of the Scottish Cup and so it should come as no surprise that we travelled through more in hope than expectation.

For younger readers, the Drybrough Cup was played preseason and involved the top scoring clubs from the then two Divisions. It also involved an experiment where the 18 yard line was extended to the sidelines and a player could not be adjudged offside until he was in that area. In order to reach the final, Hibs disposed of Montrose winning 4-0, Stanton, Gordon, Duncan and Hamilton being the scorers and the club then known as Rangers, gubbing them 3-0 with Stanton and Gordon the scorers, a double for Alan.

I was 19 at the time and travelled through with my Dad, my brother and my ex wife. My Dad was a recent convert to the game as prior to being dragged along to watch those wonderful Tornadoes, he had little interest in the game. At this point I’ll confess that my Dad had never heard me swear and later on you’ll see why I’ve mentioned that! Oh, by the way, my brother was only 8 for the Napoli game so apologies to him for getting that wrong in my last offering.

Arriving at the ground I was more than a little nervous and not just because we were facing Jock Stein’s Celtic again. The nerves related more to the fact that Celtic fans were never slow to start trouble at the drop of a hat and though there was segregation it wouldn’t have stopped their nonsense if they were in the mood.

Needless to say, Celtic started very strongly but in just five minutes or so, Hibs broke the deadlock when their keeper Evan Williams fumbled a shot from Stanton and big Alan Gordon pounced to drive the ball home. You’ll not be surprised to learn that the Hibs fans went ballistic and given it was terracing rather than the modern day seating, bodies were flying everywhere.

This was brilliant stuff. Hibs had the lead and all over the park they were dominating Celtic who conceded again around the twenty minute mark. Johnny Hamilton swung over a cracking cross and Gordon rose majestically to head the ball home. We were buzzing in my little group and even my Dad joined in the cry of Hibees, Hibees.

Half time came and went and Hibs looked comfortable in containing their opponents. A special mention here for Jim Black and John Blackley who handled Dixie Deans and Kenny Dalglish in a way they had majorly failed to do in the Scottish Cup final.

Just past the hour mark Cropley’s delivery saw Gordon and Billy McNeil challenging for the ball and before we knew it the ball was in the net! We were convinced Gordon had secured a hat trick but later found out that it was officially recorded as a McNeil own goal.

I mentioned earlier my concern about the Celtic fans and it seems that third goal got them so angry that they started throwing bottles and fighting with the Hibs fans closest to them. As if that wasn’t bad enough they then invaded the pitch and referee Bill Mullen rightly took the players off the pitch to allow the police and stewards to restore order.

The break played havoc with Hibs’ domination of proceedings and soon Billy McNeil scored at the right end when he headed home a corner. Soon after the mercurial Jimmy Johnstone added a second and our wee group was now so nervous we could hardly bear to watch.

At the other end John Hazel almost sealed things but his stunning shot met with an equally stunning save by Evan Williams. We felt as though the ref’s watch had stopped and were praying for the final whistle but before that arrived, Johnstone scored again. I was raging and spun round to face my Dad screaming Jimmy ******* ********** Johnstone. He was cool about it and just smiled at me!

Extra time was now required and Eddie Turnbull replaced Hamilton with Jimmy O’Rourke. Why Jimmy wasn’t played from the start I’ve no idea but ten minutes into the first half he showed Turnbull why he should have been selected by crashing home a long range effort to give us a 4-3 lead. Our group was back to being ecstatic again or more accurately nervously ecstatic.

Five minutes later the nerves disappeared as Arthur Duncan beat Danny McGrain wide on the left before weaving his way into the box and blasting the ball past Williams from a tight angle.

We’d done it! We’d proved we could beat Celtic at Hampden and as the players came across to acknowledge the fans, many a tear was shed.

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Hamilton, Hazel, Gordon and Cropley and Duncan.

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2020, 10:02 PM
1972 is my year of choice for my ‘how it felt’ offering and specifically 5th August 1972 when Hibs faced Celtic at Hampden Park in the final of the Drybrough Cup. Just a few short months earlier, at the same venue, Hibs were crushed 6-1 by Celtic in the final of the Scottish Cup and so it should come as no surprise that we travelled through more in hope than expectation.

For younger readers, the Drybrough Cup was played preseason and involved the top scoring clubs from the then two Divisions. It also involved an experiment where the 18 yard line was extended to the sidelines and a player could not be adjudged offside until he was in that area. In order to reach the final, Hibs disposed of Montrose winning 4-0, Stanton, Gordon, Duncan and Hamilton being the scorers and the club then known as Rangers, gubbing them 3-0 with Stanton and Gordon the scorers, a double for Alan.

I was 19 at the time and travelled through with my Dad, my brother and my ex wife. My Dad was a recent convert to the game as prior to being dragged along to watch those wonderful Tornadoes, he had little interest in the game. At this point I’ll confess that my Dad had never heard me swear and later on you’ll see why I’ve mentioned that! Oh, by the way, my brother was only 8 for the Napoli game so apologies to him for getting that wrong in my last offering.

Arriving at the ground I was more than a little nervous and not just because we were facing Jock Stein’s Celtic again. The nerves related more to the fact that Celtic fans were never slow to start trouble at the drop of a hat and though there was segregation it wouldn’t have stopped their nonsense if they were in the mood.

Needless to say, Celtic started very strongly but in just five minutes or so, Hibs broke the deadlock when their keeper Evan Williams fumbled a shot from Stanton and big Alan Gordon pounced to drive the ball home. You’ll not be surprised to learn that the Hibs fans went ballistic and given it was terracing rather than the modern day seating, bodies were flying everywhere.

This was brilliant stuff. Hibs had the lead and all over the park they were dominating Celtic who conceded again around the twenty minute mark. Johnny Hamilton swung over a cracking cross and Gordon rose majestically to head the ball home. We were buzzing in my little group and even my Dad joined in the cry of Hibees, Hibees.

Half time came and went and Hibs looked comfortable in containing their opponents. A special mention here for Jim Black and John Blackley who handled Dixie Deans and Kenny Dalglish in a way they had majorly failed to do in the Scottish Cup final.

Just past the hour mark Cropley’s delivery saw Gordon and Billy McNeil challenging for the ball and before we knew it the ball was in the net! We were convinced Gordon had secured a hat trick but later found out that it was officially recorded as a McNeil own goal.

I mentioned earlier my concern about the Celtic fans and it seems that third goal got them so angry that they started throwing bottles and fighting with the Hibs fans closest to them. As if that wasn’t bad enough they then invaded the pitch and referee Bill Mullen rightly took the players off the pitch to allow the police and stewards to restore order.

The break played havoc with Hibs’ domination of proceedings and soon Billy McNeil scored at the right end when he headed home a corner. Soon after the mercurial Jimmy Johnstone added a second and our wee group was now so nervous we could hardly bear to watch.

At the other end John Hazel almost sealed things but his stunning shot met with an equally stunning save by Evan Williams. We felt as though the ref’s watch had stopped and were praying for the final whistle but before that arrived, Johnstone scored again. I was raging and spun round to face my Dad screaming Jimmy ******* ********** Johnstone. He was cool about it and just smiled at me!

Extra time was now required and Eddie Turnbull replaced Hamilton with Jimmy O’Rourke. Why Jimmy wasn’t played from the start I’ve no idea but ten minutes into the first half he showed Turnbull why he should have been selected by crashing home a long range effort to give us a 4-3 lead. Our group was back to being ecstatic again or more accurately nervously ecstatic.

Five minutes later the nerves disappeared as Arthur Duncan beat Danny McGrain wide on the left before weaving his way into the box and blasting the ball past Williams from a tight angle.

We’d done it! We’d proved we could beat Celtic at Hampden and as the players came across to acknowledge the fans, many a tear was shed.

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Hamilton, Hazel, Gordon and Cropley.

and Duncan

Jonnyboy
26-03-2020, 10:11 PM
and Duncan

Oops :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Oops :greengrin

Brilliant Jonnyboy as always

I thought the crowd invasion ruined our concentration

But hey it was Celtic no one said anything

I am sure Jock Stein was doing his usual trying to herd them back 😁

DaveF
26-03-2020, 10:17 PM
I'd no idea about the format of that cup so an education for me. How was the offside thing viewed overall?

Jonnyboy
26-03-2020, 10:22 PM
I'd no idea about the format of that cup so an education for me. How was the offside thing viewed overall?

I think the fans liked it, generally but the authorities weren't convinced so it only lasted for a couple of seasons, Dave.

JohnMcM
26-03-2020, 10:33 PM
Great and sad memories for me with this match.
Great for the obvious reasons.
Sad because it was the last match my childhood, school and best friend Billy Simpson and I attended together.
Fate sent us our seperate ways after my wedding a week later, which Billy attended, and we were never to meet again before he died.
This match more than any other reminds me of my Hibernian family.

:flag:

leftfield
26-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Even before this current shutdown I could not get out to football anymore and your reports have been a lifeline.
As a supporter of a certain age your recent ones of highlight games from he past have brought back such happy memories

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2020, 10:49 PM
Often wonder if Jimmy Jimmy ORourke thought to himself “I’ll show him” as he struck that ball into the postage stamp from 35 yards and stood with his arms raised at 3-3 in extra time

Whatever it was it worked

IberianHibernian
26-03-2020, 11:15 PM
I wasn`t at this game or the Montrose or Rangers games in previous rounds ( all in a week - impossible now cause of the Police and the semi v Rangers was remembered for trouble I think ) but I think it`s important that people remember that it was an important tournament at the time , certainly not a summer kick about to give clubs some pre season cash . Qualification was based on goalscoring rather than league position so teams that played attacking football and scored goals qualified . There were good crowds that year and in others ( think Aberdeen won in 70 , we won in 72 and 73 , can`t remember after that though I remember going home and away against St Mirren in Anglo Scottish Cup in same dates a bit after ). It was in times before clubs played each other 4 times in league . Not sure how it could be fitted into calendar now but idea of rewarding high-scoring teams is a good one .

Global Hibby
26-03-2020, 11:21 PM
What a great report and brought back such fabulous memories of that day....the first cup I witnessed Hibs winning and many many thanks !!

can we give selections for the next report ? If so.....Europe and either Leeds or liverpool and complete freedom to choose 😊

gbhibby
26-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Brought back good memories brilliant piece yet again Johnnyboy. Some of the football we played that day was a joy to watch. We played some fantastic football against Rangers as well. My abiding memory from that day of the final was the train journey from Central Station to Mount florida. There was two celtic fans glue sniffing on the train. At the game
celtic fans were climbing up and were on the rafters underneath the mount florida end and throwing bottles down on hibs fans as well as their own fans they did the same at the Scottish Cup final in May. This was common behaviour back then.
Hibs TV should upload the highlights onto ytube as only the first minute is all that is available.

We beat them the following year as well in the final. Great Times just wish the younger generation had more highlights to watch.

Johnnyboy Sporting Lisbon game would be a great one for your next report.
Keep up the good work.

G B Young
26-03-2020, 11:32 PM
Great stuff. I was too wee to go to this game but I have it on an old video cassette somewhere. Haven't watched it in years, but I recall our fourth and fifth goals being real crackers. O'Rourke's was a real 'get it up ye' blaster, while in my mind's eye Arthur Duncan smashed home the clincher from almost on the byline.

Also worth picking up on your reference to the behaviour of Celtic fans back then. We tend to regard the huns as the worst offenders but in the 70s and 80s it was just as dodgy an experience whichever half of the Old Firm we were playing.

gbhibby
26-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Spot on GB. How many times in the seventies did we see Jock Stein on the pitch trying to get his own team fans off the pitch. I remember him at one game going onto the terracing to try and get them to behave. The bigot brothers are as bad as each other.

houstonhibbee
27-03-2020, 05:42 AM

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Hamilton, Hazel, Gordon and Cropley and Duncan.
Wow you were divorced at 19 :greengrin

Lang Toun Hibs
27-03-2020, 07:09 AM
The day I was born...destiny that I should be a Hibs fan!!! Is being born a valid excuse for missing the game? :wink:

Tom Hart RIP
27-03-2020, 07:29 AM
The crowd trouble at the Rangers semi-final was the worst I have ever seen and subsequently resulted in the closure and later seating of the shed which destroyed a lot of the atmosphere at the time.

In those days, the terracing included the north. south and east of the ground and was pay at the gate so you entered the ground and could stand anywhere.

The Old Firm fans would turn up in their tens of thousands, most with carry outs. Bottles, urine filled cans golf balls and darts would get thrown into the areas where Hibs fans congregated normally on the west side of the shed. To be fair a few were thrown from our end.

The injured would climb over the wall and be treated by first aiders on the track. There would be regular charges from both sets of fans, but mostly them.

Dozens of fans would be arrested or just thrown out.

It was just chaos from start to finish but on the pitch Hibs were vastly superior to Rangers who I think were European Cup Winners Cup holders.

superfurryhibby
27-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Brought back good memories brilliant piece yet again Johnnyboy. Some of the football we played that day was a joy to watch. We played some fantastic football against Rangers as well. My abiding memory from that day of the final was the train journey from Central Station to Mount florida. There was two celtic fans glue sniffing on the train. At the game
celtic fans were climbing up and were on the rafters underneath the mount florida end and throwing bottles down on hibs fans as well as their own fans they did the same at the Scottish Cup final in May. This was common behaviour back then.
Hibs TV should upload the highlights onto ytube as only the first minute is all that is available.

We beat them the following year as well in the final. Great Times just wish the younger generation had more highlights to watch.

Keep up the good work.

As far as I can tell, there are only goals available up to 3-3, none of the extra time efforts have been saved for posterity.

On you tube there is a guy, John Sparky who has uploaded various Hibs highlights from that era. Goals v Hadjuk Split, v Airdrie (6-1?), some Jimmy O'Rourke compilation, goals v Juventus.

I would love to see more available. There must be a few on here with a collection hoarded away?

linlithgowhibbie
27-03-2020, 04:52 PM
Missed this game as my big brother was getting married at 3pm that day. I kept him updated as best I could through listening to a transistor radio at the reception.
Totally gutted to have missed it but delighted at the result:thumbsup:

brog
27-03-2020, 06:02 PM
As far as I can tell, there are only goals available up to 3-3, none of the extra time efforts have been saved for posterity.

On you tube there is a guy, John Sparky who has uploaded various Hibs highlights from that era. Goals v Hadjuk Split, v Airdrie (6-1?), some Jimmy O'Rourke compilation, goals v Juventus.

I would love to see more available. There must be a few on here with a collection hoarded away?

The last goal was recently shown on the thread comparing Arthur & Ivan.

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2020, 06:06 PM
The last goal was recently shown on the thread comparing Arthur & Ivan.

Also includes Wee Jimmys howitzer same thread

h1bs4life
27-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Was only 9 at the time, Auld man, Grandad, brother 7 and me through in his Ford Anglia .
Our first trip to Hampden was Scottish Cup final earlier in the year which didnt end to well.
Can't remember to much about game apart from the lesser grrens invading pitch and Jimmy O'Rouke's goal.
Sure we went up to North British Hotel to see the players showing the cup on the balcony.
Sure I used to have a grainy VHS copy of the game.
We also won it the following year with Alan Gordon goal in the last minute off extra time auld man and grandad must have had a win at the bookies as we were in the stand. Don't think I have seen any highlights of game.

hibby6270
27-03-2020, 10:47 PM

If memory serves me right, we used to push Arthur Duncan and/or Joe Harper right up front to hover around that 18 yard line. Thought behind it being that Duncan’s speed would be an asset by getting the ball up to him as fast as possible. Not sure why Harper was chosen for that role though LOL. Wasn’t a great success if truth be told.

Also, are we sure the 18 yard rule was used in the Drybrough Cup that season?

My recollection is that it was definitely used for a couple of seasons in the Drybrough Cup and League Cup early season group stages. Around 1973/1974 or 1974/1975?

So the 2nd Drybrough win would have had it but maybe not the 5-3 game. Unless it was tried out for first time in 72/73 Drybrough and then extended at start of next season?

Happy to be corrected though.:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2020, 09:53 AM
If memory serves me right, we used to push Arthur Duncan and/or Joe Harper right up front to hover around that 18 yard line. Thought behind it being that Duncan’s speed would be an asset by getting the ball up to him as fast as possible. Not sure why Harper was chosen for that role though LOL. Wasn’t a great success if truth be told.

Also, are we sure the 18 yard rule was used in the Drybrough Cup that season?

My recollection is that it was definitely used for a couple of seasons in the Drybrough Cup and League Cup early season group stages. Around 1973/1974 or 1974/1975?

So the 2nd Drybrough win would have had it but maybe not the 5-3 game. Unless it was tried out for first time in 72/73 Drybrough and then extended at start of next season?

Happy to be corrected though.:greengrin

Offside experiment was used 1972 1973 and 1974 to take in HIBS two victories

A line was drawn from the corner tips of the 18 yard box to the touchline

IIRC that was where fat joe used to stand :greengrin

It was abandoned in 1975 because that was the start of the Premiership

https://scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/drybrough-cup/

Tournament restarted in 1979 where the late Davy Cooper scored his brilliant individual goal versus Celtic

hibby6270
28-03-2020, 10:18 PM
Offside experiment was used 1972 1973 and 1974 to take in HIBS two victories

A line was drawn from the corner tips of the 18 yard box to the touchline

IIRC that was where fat joe used to stand :greengrin

It was abandoned in 1975 because that was the start of the Premiership

https://scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/drybrough-cup/

Tournament restarted in 1979 where the late Davy Cooper scored his brilliant individual goal versus Celtic

Cheers Billy.
But am I right it was used in the League Cup as well in ‘73 & ‘74?

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 10:09 AM
Cheers Billy.
But am I right it was used in the League Cup as well in ‘73 & ‘74?

Offside experiment used in the 1973/74 and 1974/75 Scottish League Cup

Source: Hibernian: The life and times of a famous football club by Tom Wright

Keith_M
29-03-2020, 12:47 PM
Spot on GB. How many times in the seventies did we see Jock Stein on the pitch trying to get his own team fans off the pitch. I remember him at one game going onto the terracing to try and get them to behave. The bigot brothers are as bad as each other.

I've read about that from a number of games in the 70s and it seemed to be their standard reaction to getting beat.

As an aside: JB mentioned there was segregation at this match, which surprised me as I thought it was introduced a few years later.

In what year did they introduce segregation (for non-OF matches), and which end were the Hibs support in for the Drybrough Cup game?

G B Young
29-03-2020, 01:03 PM

Here's a game from the late 70s when both sides were a shadow of their early-70s best, but about halfway through you'll see Stein coming on to help wrestle Celtic fans off the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZ0yrTT45c

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Here's a game from the late 70s when both sides were a shadow of their early-70s best, but about halfway through you'll see Stein coming on to help wrestle Celtic fans off the pitch.

Brilliant thanks for posting

Mike MacDonald booting the Celtic player in the gonads

Ah Tony Higgins stood six foot three jumped five foot ten. :greengrin

Seveno
29-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Thanks once again, JB. I am the same vintage as you and marvel at your powers of recall.

Keith_M
29-03-2020, 02:15 PM

That was apparently the third Hibs v Celtc game in eleven days.

An attendance of 16k and the one three days earlier, at the same venue, had just under 11k.

Heady days.

Ray_
29-03-2020, 02:34 PM

I've seen them a number of times, most recently on the FB page Old Scottish Football Pictures a couple of days ago and they have a number of the old Hibs and Scotland games and the likes of Celtic v Leeds 1970. It is a closed site so you can't see the games without being a member, but worth joining.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.millar.581/videos/10219325820927829/?comment_id=1450523975128886&notif_id=1585344362955726&notif_t=group_comment_follow

The above is Hibs v Aberdeen just before the 1/1/1973 and in particular Alan Gordon's fantastic flying header.

I also seen to remember the whole five goals on the TT video/DVD. I went with my boss, who wasn't a football fan [He used to let me have Saturday afternoon's off for the football], but had a couple of jars and went with me, so I had to curtail my celebrations [slightly] and a quote from one of the Sundy's was "I never thought there was any team in the world that could take five off the Scottish champions".

Ray_
29-03-2020, 02:50 PM

Keep up the good work.

Agreed about the comments about Johnnyboy. It is criminal that there was no TV footage of the Lisbon game.

G B Young
29-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Brilliant thanks for posting

Mike MacDonald booting the Celtic player in the gonads

Ah Tony Higgins stood six foot three jumped five foot ten. :greengrin

We've had a few of them. Steven Tweed springs to mind from more recent times.

There's no way I'd have been allowed to go to games against the Old Firm back then but I clearly remember tuning in for the post-match round-up on BBC1 Scotland (presented by Gordon Hewitt!) when we thumped Celtic that day and rushing off to tell my dad the news.