PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Bank Scam doing the rounds.

Jim44
26-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Admins please close thread if considered inappropriate. Just passing it on.

Extremely sophisticated scam going about this morning. Definitely Danske bank customers but possibly all banks. You get a message saying a payment hasn’t been taken eg O2 and to click here. As soon as you touch it the money is gone. They already have all your details and it’s the most advance scam the bank has ever seen. Pass this on to everyone. Please. This is from work this morning - they are being inundated with calls - thousands flying out of peoples accounts. (From cousin in a bank!!)

jeffers
26-03-2020, 01:26 PM
Text message Jim ?

green day
26-03-2020, 01:36 PM
https://news.o2.co.uk/2020/03/24/phishing-smishing/

murray26
26-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Do those people who have been scammed get there money back from the bank..?

Jim44
26-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Text message Jim ?

Yes. My daughter forwarded the text to me.

Keith_M
26-03-2020, 01:47 PM
If you receive a phone call starting 0147 - 289 (and don't know anybody in the Grimsby area)... hang up immediately.

The Police are currently investigating scammers using this particular area code... though there's a strong possibility they've somehow hacked into the local telephone network and are actually based elsewhere.

jeffers
26-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Yes. My daughter forwarded the text to me.

Cheers. I'll let my mother know.

wpj
26-03-2020, 02:17 PM
I have my phone set to "do not disturb" then set permissions to allow contacts only to get through to me. At the end of each day there are several numbers who tried calling me. I block them but it is getting worse.

Billy Whizz
26-03-2020, 02:23 PM
I only answer a call on my mobile from a number I have stored, and I never answer my house phone at all now

James Stephen
26-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Actually got that text this morning, from an unknown number, luckily i didnt do anything with it - thanks for the heads up!

Fuzzywuzzy
26-03-2020, 02:52 PM
I forwarded the message on to O2 to investigate

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-03-2020, 02:59 PM
I only answer a call on my mobile from a number I have stored, and I never answer my house phone at all now

Same here Billy 9 times out of 10 they are scammers.

Lago
26-03-2020, 03:09 PM
I have my phone set to "do not disturb" then set permissions to allow contacts only to get through to me. At the end of each day there are several numbers who tried calling me. I block them but it is getting worse.
As do I, on the land line I let it ring through to the answer phone, real people leave a message. As an after thought I've stopped getting cold or scam calls over the last week.

truehibernian
26-03-2020, 03:10 PM
For those isolating and maybe want something productive to do, try and do the e learning package that Trading Standards set up on their national website - and pass on the advice / link to others who may be able to watch out for those that are sadly vulnerable to these despicable scammers !

https://www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk/training/friends-elearning

Get safe online is also a fantastic resource for information....

https://www.getsafeonline.org/

Lastly, and this is a great site, sign up for Neighbourhood Watch 'Alerts' - you don't have to be in a group, you can sign up as an individual, and you can add content and warnings (such as this) for others in the area / city.........really good, and you can get alerts by text/email, etc. and see what is happening in your street, area, city, nationwide, etc.

https://www.neighbourhoodwatchscotland.co.uk/sign-up-for-alerts/

Thanks for the 'heads up' Jim :aok:

Crab apple
26-03-2020, 03:10 PM

Extremely sophisticated scam going about this morning. Definitely Danske bank customers but possibly all banks. You get a message saying a payment hasn’t been taken eg O2 and to click here. As soon as you touch it the money is gone. They already have all your details and it’s the most advance scam the bank has ever seen. Pass this on to everyone. Please. This is from work this morning - they are being inundated with calls - thousands flying out of peoples accounts. (From cousin in a bank!!)

Absolutely ****my behaviour, particularly at this time.

vahibbie
26-03-2020, 03:18 PM

If they already have your details why do they need you to click a link in the message. Or am I missing something ?

Jim44
26-03-2020, 03:38 PM
If they already have your details why do they need you to click a link in the message. Or am I missing something ?

No idea, but the fact the bank is saying it’s a very sophisticated scam, suggests that there’s a method to their madness. I don’t think I would be too fussy about learning the nuts and bolts. I assume also that it is a genuine scam and not somebody playing games.

tigerted
26-03-2020, 04:28 PM
You cannot have money taken from any account, by just tapping on a text. You would need to have voluntarily logged in to your bank/account etc and completed personal questions and passwords that only you should know. Asking others to pass on this type of text or email on to others just perpetuates these type of myths or fake news!

Jim44
26-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Oops. I can’t seem to close the thread. Maybe an admin could do the necessary.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Was about to say it was probably fake, son works for a bank and pretty sure he would have heard about this today at work.

surreyhibbie
26-03-2020, 06:22 PM
My first thought was that it was a hoax, but in my line of work I usually do.

However, I searched all the usual sites and found no trace so thought maybe it was a real alert..

I agree though, just ignore these type of messages. I do.

hibeg
26-03-2020, 06:24 PM
You cannot have money taken from any account, by just tapping on a text. You would need to have voluntarily logged in to your bank/account etc and completed personal questions and passwords that only you should know. Asking others to pass on this type of text or email on to others just perpetuates these type of myths or fake news!

Absolutely. If people think about this, it’s impossible.
Did it start on Facebook ???

Brightside
26-03-2020, 06:36 PM

Banks never txt you with this stuff. So just never ever click on a txt msg attchement. Same goes with any government body.

TrinityHibs
27-03-2020, 06:54 AM
Completely different but my wife and I got emails saying that our Apple accounts needed to be reactivated. Everything about the email screamed Apple except the url which was fairly close

MyJo
27-03-2020, 08:27 AM
Do those people who have been scammed get there money back from the bank..?

Some do yes. If the bank are signed up the Contingent Reimbursement Model and they have taken reasonable steps to try and protect themselves they might be refunded.

Danske bank aren’t signed up to it so their customers probably don’t get anything back unless they can recover it from the receiving bank

lord bunberry
27-03-2020, 08:40 AM
I’d like to see the ****ers try and get money out of my bank account, they’d probably be hit with a charge :greengrin

tamig
27-03-2020, 05:05 PM

I suspect this is one of your typical social media scaremongering texts. Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

Santa Cruz
18-07-2020, 01:08 PM
I've just received a text saying I have 1 new alert from H.M which requires immediate action. Then a link to a dot com website called hnrnic. I obviously haven't clicked the link and googled the name of the website to see if it was a noted scam but nothing is coming up in the search. Anyone came across this?

Scorrie
18-07-2020, 01:18 PM
I've just received a text saying I have 1 new alert from H.M which requires immediate action. Then a link to a dot com website called hnrnic. I obviously haven't clicked the link and googled the name of the website to see if it was a noted scam but nothing is coming up in the search. Anyone came across this?

I had something similar yesterday when I got a phone call from “HM RC” saying there was a tax fraud from my address and I was given the option to speak to an “ advisor” I think there’s quite a bit from HMRC at the moment and they always write if it’s real

The 90+2
18-07-2020, 01:19 PM
I had something similar yesterday when I got a phone call from “HM RC” saying there was a tax fraud from my address and I was given the option to speak to an “ advisor” I think there’s quite a bit from HMRC at the moment and they always write if it’s real

Got the same to my email and alias.

Squealing pig
18-07-2020, 01:20 PM
HMRC ones are common . Ignore that. Sure they only contact you by letter

The 90+2
18-07-2020, 01:23 PM

Or liquidators if you’re deadco/huns.

Santa Cruz
18-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Or liquidators if you’re deadco/huns.

Thanks. Are we supposed to report this to them do you know?

AltheHibby
18-07-2020, 01:56 PM
No need to panic about this one, but obviously stay vigilant.

https://fullfact.org/online/city-of-london-police-scam/

Brightside
18-07-2020, 01:58 PM
HMRC will never txt you and ask you to click on something. Same goes for any bank etc.

The 90+2
18-07-2020, 02:05 PM
Thanks. Are we supposed to report this to them do you know?

Nah just ignore 😎

Joe6-2
18-07-2020, 02:23 PM
I hate those b******s, preying on and robbing people!

AltheHibby
18-07-2020, 02:31 PM
No need to panic about this one, but obviously stay vigilant.

https://fullfact.org/online/city-of-london-police-scam/

Aldo
18-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Loads and loads of them, Amazon, Netflix, BT, TSB, and many more.

I did receive an email from His Right Royal Highness Davide Zimbabwe Umgragndaha the third informing me I had won £380,000,000 and I only had to give him £450 admin fee and my bank details?? [emoji848] tough one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH81
18-07-2020, 02:41 PM
I seem to get more calls these days. Lucky my Samsung now tells me they are scam calls on the front of the phone when it rings. So annoying and how did they get my number.

Tambo
18-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Received one yesterday, a call from HMRC saying there was a tax fraud against my name and if I didn't press 1 then i would be arrested.

overdrive
18-07-2020, 03:04 PM
I was getting scam calls “from” HMRC a couple of years ago but they had cloned the real HMRC number so it looked more genuine. The give away was that “Mike Smith” with the strong Indian accent that was on the other end had no idea was PAYE was.

CMurdoch
18-07-2020, 04:27 PM
Always remember if it smells like the brown stuff it is the brown stuff.
As such never click on it and never respond to it.
You have not won a prize, you are not due a tax rebate, you will not be arrested or penalised, no one will share their fortune with you.
Just ignore.

danhibees1875
18-07-2020, 04:43 PM
I hate those b******s, preying on and robbing people!

Scammers or HMRC?

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
18-07-2020, 05:08 PM
I had a call the other day from an unknown number. Claimed to be from O2 regarding an upgrade being activated on my account. I know O2 only call from a couple of numbers so was confident it wasn't them so played along to see what info he had.

He read out my (correct) current address and asked if that was correct. I said no. He then read out my (correct) previous address and asked if that was correct. I said no. I then hung up and called O2 to confirm it wasn't them and make them aware if anyone tried anything with my account with them. Quite frightening that they knew, as a minimum, my phone number, current address and previous address.

I've set up a few extra alerts on my accounts and have been checking my credit file to make sure nothing untoward appears there.

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2020, 05:50 PM

That used to be the case. You could assume that any email from "HMRC" was a scam.

However, with the recent help for self employed people, they have discovered technology..... pretty successfully as it happens.

Now that they're in the 21st century, we can no longer assume that they will only write to us.

speedy_gonzales
18-07-2020, 06:14 PM
I had a call the other day from an unknown number. Claimed to be from O2 regarding an upgrade being activated on my account. I know O2 only call from a couple of numbers so was confident it wasn't them so played along to see what info he had.

He read out my (correct) current address and asked if that was correct. I said no. He then read out my (correct) previous address and asked if that was correct. I said no. I then hung up and called O2 to confirm it wasn't them and make them aware if anyone tried anything with my account with them. Quite frightening that they knew, as a minimum, my phone number, current address and previous address.

I've set up a few extra alerts on my accounts and have been checking my credit file to make sure nothing untoward appears there.
You obviously hung up before they got to the sting.
A mate of mines was called by a number that came up as O2(easily spoofed) and said his O2 account has become compromised, the caller confirmed details and assured my mate they were not after any account or financial details.
After a spiel, they wanted to verify my mate was who he said he was (they phoned him!) they'd send a code to his phone, if he could confirm the code they'd unlock his account ASAP.
The text came, again from an O2 number, but my mate hung up the call and called O2 himself. Turns out the scammers can order services and phones if they got the code that was texted out.
Luckily my mate works for Bank of Scotland in the "Risk" department so could smell something fishy quite early on.

tamig
18-07-2020, 11:02 PM
They’re all phishing scams. Just ignore the lot and delete the emails/texts.

KdyHby
19-07-2020, 10:00 PM
If you're on Facebook, like Trading Standards Scotland. Also, lots of information here, and you can subscribe to a regular email containing details about the latest scams: https://www.tsscot.co.uk/

heretoday
22-07-2020, 12:01 PM
If you're on Facebook, like Trading Standards Scotland. Also, lots of information here, and you can subscribe to a regular email containing details about the latest scams: https://www.tsscot.co.uk/

Done it. thanks.

Personally, I never respond to anything financial whether texted, telephoned or emailed, unless it's backed up by letter.

grunt
23-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Just received a very realistic one about TV Licensing.
It was a good job I'd been reading this thread recently.

CropleyWasGod
23-07-2020, 10:49 AM

I hope you passed it on to some of our fellow posters :greengrin

grunt
23-07-2020, 10:50 AM
I hope you passed it on to some of our fellow posters :greengrin
I forwarded it to report@phishing.gov.uk like a good citizen.

Smartie
23-07-2020, 11:04 AM

I got that one too, very convincing.

It's always worth checking the e-mail address the e-mail came from - that was the only thing that appeared dodgy about the TV licensing one.

I'm quite good at ignoring stuff, it does get me into bother from time to time but I'm less likely to get scammed.

pollution
23-07-2020, 11:21 AM
I checked my spam bank today for the first time in months and was amazed at the amount

that had been intercepted. Some of it - in fact all of it - was obviously a hoax but if they send out one thousand

it only takes one to make it worthwhile for them.

I would personally liquidate those that rip off OAPs on their doorstep for repairs never done etc.

Anyone care to join me ...? ( Joke )