PDA

View Full Version : Best Goal you`ve seen in the flesh

Irish_Steve
20-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Just for a bit of fun but what`s the best goal you`ve seen scored by Hibs in the flesh. Obviously SDG`s goal is the most important but in my view, not the best.

Mine would be Michael O`Neill`s volley against Motherwell in 1994 - pin-point cross from Kevin Harper and Mikey blasted the ball into the net from just inside the penalty box.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Gazza at Wembley 96 versus Scotland.....
......I’ll get ma coat!

WoreTheGreen
20-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Latapys 6.2 game punch my brothers glasses off celebrating

Irish_Steve
20-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Gazza at Wembley 96 versus Scotland.....
......I’ll get ma coat!

It`s always nice when people read what you have actually written :na na:

Pretty Boy
20-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Tam McManus away v Rangers.

https://youtu.be/by59HSSGOlE

Honourable mention for Zitelli away v Motherwell, think it was a Sunday evening game. Can't find a video of that one though.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 08:38 PM
OK

Kevin Harper’s volley versus the Hearts 2-1 at Easter Road

Michael ONeill scored the other

Apologies the wife’s got Vera oan trying to concentrate on both 😂

Just looked at thread title

Irish_Steve
20-03-2020, 08:38 PM

Honourable mention for Zitelli away v Motherwell, think it was a Sunday evening game. Can't find a video of that one though.

The overhead one that Gordon Smith didn`t deem good enough for Goal of the Month?

Jonnyboy
20-03-2020, 08:39 PM
Too many to mention BUT I'll pick out one that still gives me goosebumps when I envisage it in my head. Joe McBride (Snr) in a game against Celtic when he scored both in a 2-0 win. The special finish came when he swivelled on the half turn and volleyed it home. Doesn't sound much I know, but believe me it was a stunning finish :thumbsup:

eastterrace
20-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Frank sauzee Exocet rocket top corner against Falkirk at Easter road

Hakim Sar
20-03-2020, 08:41 PM
Michael Stewart vs Aberdeen is hands down the finest goal I’ve seen in the flesh. An absolute beezer!

very closely followed by Latapy 6-2.

eastterrace
20-03-2020, 08:42 PM
Too many to mention BUT I'll pick out one that still gives me goosebumps when I envisage it in my head. Joe McBride (Snr) in a game against Celtic when he scored both in a 2-0 win. The special finish came when he swivelled on the half turn and volleyed it home. Doesn't sound much I know, but believe me it was a stunning finish :thumbsup: yes I was in the cave that day and your right was a special goal.

Irish_Steve
Michael Stewart vs Aberdeen is hands down the finest goal I’ve seen in the flesh. An absolute beezer!

very closely followed by Latapy 6-2.

Straight off his shin if i remember correctly!

EVENTUALLY
Ralph Callaghan v Dundee. I'll never forget it. Fantastic skill and tantalising anticipation as he could have put it away after the 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th challenges only to slot it home after he had sat down the 5th defender.

Craig_HFC
One worth a mention is a goal that was disallowed.

Deek scored an absolute peach of a volley at Easter Road vs Dundee under Mowbray (sure it finished 4-4 & I think the goal would have made it 5-2 if it had stood). It was a ball over to Deek on the left hand side and he absolutely pinged a left footed volley from just outside the box from a relatively wide position across the 'keeper and into the net at the back post.

It was disallowed for offside but it was a screamer.

BILLYHIBS
Keatings

CloudSquall
20-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Zitelli vs AEK

Hibs Class
20-03-2020, 08:44 PM
The overhead one that Gordon Smith didn`t deem good enough for Goal of the Month?

Think the overhead one was v Dundee. Was Motherwell not a run and shot which zipped in just inside the post?

Robbo6-2
20-03-2020, 08:45 PM
Martin Boyles vs Livingston got to be up there

Irish_Steve
20-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Think the overhead one was v Dundee. Was Motherwell not a run and shot which zipped in just inside the post?

Ah yes, I think you are correct on that one, still a screamer tho - Zitelli took the meanest of corners too, I always pitied any of our players trying to head it!

Hibees1973
20-03-2020, 08:47 PM
Dalglish goal v Spain at Hampden in a World Cup qualifier in 84 or 85. Left foot shot bent into the top right hand corner.

MrSmith
20-03-2020, 08:47 PM
Archie's goal in the 1988 derby at Tynecastle :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEZPuqvrWs

PatHead
20-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Fat Ally Macleod v Dundee. Twice taken free kick.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 08:49 PM
Dalglish goal v Spain at Hampden in a World Cup qualifier in 84 or 85. Left foot shot bent into the top right hand corner.

Pay attention 😂

Was at that game

Sublime finish and his face just lit up arms outstretched above his head in typical celebration

EVENTUALLY
20-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Too many to mention BUT I'll pick out one that still gives me goosebumps when I envisage it in my head. Joe McBride (Snr) in a game against Celtic when he scored both in a 2-0 win. The special finish came when he swivelled on the half turn and volleyed it home. Doesn't sound much I know, but believe me it was a stunning finish :thumbsup:

It was a great goal, and Joe was delighted to have scored it against his old team as he turned away with his puffed out barrel chest and arms aloft to some roar from the crowd.
Joe was a tremendous player for the Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 08:52 PM
It was a great goal, and Joe was delighted to have scored it against his old team as he turned away with his puffed out barrel chest and arms aloft to some roar from the crowd.
Joe was a tremendous player for the Hibs.

58 goals from 91 appearances

Outstanding

Monts
20-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Kontes goal that took us to Europe :agree:

Monts
20-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Deek scored an absolute peach of a volley at Easter Road vs Dundee under Mowbray (sure it finished 4-4 & I think the goal would have made it 5-2 if it had stood). It was a ball over to Deek on the left hand side and he absolutely pinged a left footed volley from just outside the box from a relatively wide position across the 'keeper and into the net at the back post.

:agree: sublime

3pm
20-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Riordan chipping 9 foot Fraser Forster.

cookin_on_gaz
20-03-2020, 08:56 PM
Martin Boyles vs Livingston got to be up thereThat's the one for me. I was only a few metres away from him in the east stand when he hit it and it sounded like a sonic boom.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

The Sundance Kid
20-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Boyle v Livingston probably the best Hibs goal I've seen in the flesh

Adam Hamill last season against us from the halfway line was some goal as well

greenlad
20-03-2020, 09:04 PM

As was said, the overhead kick was at Dens.

Not just not good enough to be Goal of the Month, but actually not good enough to be shortlisted as CONTENDER for Goal of the Month.

I remember Smith pathetically arguing that it wasn't that good a goal and another goal by Ronald de Boer was better. Was Smith not an agent for De Boer?

Irish_Steve
20-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Pay attention 😂

Was at that game

Sublime finish and his face just lit up arms outstretched above his head in typical celebration

lol

Broken Gnome
20-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Scott Brown v Charlton

Groathillgrump
20-03-2020, 09:09 PM

Great choice! That was my first ever Hibs game, I was 8 years old. :aok:

Bristolhibby
20-03-2020, 09:13 PM
McFadden v France in Paris 2007.

What a result.

J

erin go bragh
20-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Sauzee’s volley straight from the corner against Falkirk at ER was a cracker . But it’s hard to pick just one . Deeks ,Sparky scored some absolute screamer’s .

Irish_Steve
20-03-2020, 09:15 PM
McFadden v France in Paris 2007.

What a result.

J

Billyhibs - over to you lol

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Billyhibs - over to you lol

Aye saw it

Now watching Vera

Shh!

Missing the end 😁

hibbydog
20-03-2020, 09:36 PM
Riordan vs Hearts, Feb 2004. Same game as someon threw a rugby ball on the pitch. Utterly brilliant

O'Rourke3
20-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Tied for the two most emotional (outside SDG) the equaliser at Parkhead in the LCF against der Hun, finally given as OG and Paul Hanlon's equaliser at the PBS. Le God and Boyle both up there for best.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

s2hart
20-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Best Hibs goal, Gordon Hunter's volley direct from a corner against St Mirren, I think we were 3-1 down and came back to win 4-3.

Non Hibs, Wayne Rooney's volley against Newcastle at Old Trafford.

Those two always spring to mind when this question is asked.

Bobo
20-03-2020, 09:46 PM
https://youtu.be/b_qAyKtoUs4

Has to be the best non-hibs I've ever witnessed.

PatHead
20-03-2020, 09:49 PM
https://youtu.be/b_qAyKtoUs4

Has to be the best non-hibs I've ever witnessed.

My favourite non Hibs goal as well.

greenpaper55
20-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Stanton against Aberdeen when Baker returned to Hibs, first goal Aberdeen had lost in 13 games !

Auckland Hibs
20-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Best Hibs goal, Gordon Hunter's volley direct from a corner against St Mirren, I think we were 3-1 down and came back to win 4-3.

Non Hibs, Wayne Rooney's volley against Newcastle at Old Trafford.

Those two always spring to mind when this question is asked.

I was going to mention the 1-3 to 4-3 game against St. Mirren, didn't they score an absolute peach?

40 yarder top corner IIRC - probably the best goal I've seen at ER.

NAE NOOKIE
20-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Tied for the two most emotional (outside SDG) the equaliser at Parkhead in the LCF against der Hun, finally given as OG and Paul Hanlon's equaliser at the PBS. Le God and Boyle both up there for best.

Jeez .... That was the most mental goal celebration I've ever been part of and that's saying something having been part of the SDG goal celebrations in 2016 .. it was as close to mass hysteria as I've ever been part of, perhaps because we were packed in behind that goals like sardines .. it was truly mental :agree:

The two that stand out for me were firstly Brian Rice's goal against Dumbarton at Boghead back in the day .. we were struggling at the bottom of the table and Hibs had organised buses to the game ... a long ball was played from halfway, it dropped over Rice's right shoulder and he first time volleyed it into the net from about 20 odd yards .. an absolute screamer. 2nd was Latapy's volley in the 6 - 2 game ... what a goal it was.

Bishop Hibee
20-03-2020, 10:08 PM
Latapy in the 6-2 game. Ties with Darren Jackson for Scotland B v NI B at Easter Road. Shooting towards the away end flicked a bouncing ball over the defenders head, ran round him and volleyed in from 25 yards. Fantastic technique.

AgentDaleCooper
20-03-2020, 10:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi_g16Ra_U

Peevemor
20-03-2020, 10:17 PM

Honourable mention for Zitelli away v Motherwell, think it was a Sunday evening game. Can't find a video of that one though.Just after the 4 minute mark here.

https://youtu.be/KUGBYglw12g

Frankhfc
20-03-2020, 10:18 PM
The Keith and Mickey goal against the Rangers in the semi final. Mickey looked up and supplied the most delightful chip you'll see on a plate for Keith who did what Keith did and guided it into the center of the goal. Superb goal on a wonderful night.

Big Franks goal against the Jambos in the Millenium derby was another beauty when the big man unleashed a 24 yard unstoppable shot past a helpless Hearts keeper.

Cardinal G
20-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Archie's goal in the 1988 derby at Tynecastle :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVEZPuqvrWs

When I saw thread title I thought of this goal. Quality strike but really in flesh it seemed better, think also it was the most I celebrated a goal til 21st May 2016, 10 men and soaked up the pressure so release when he scored this was pure estascy

Shrekko
20-03-2020, 10:20 PM
I was going to mention the 1-3 to 4-3 game against St. Mirren, didn't they score an absolute peach?

Almost certain the St Mirren goal was scored by Brian Martin - some goal it was!

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 10:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi_g16Ra_U

Exocet

Sweet Left Peg
20-03-2020, 10:28 PM
Chic Charnley from well inside his own half, up the slope, against Alloa in the Cup. Much better than Beckham's against Wimbledon because he had to beat a few players first.

Frankhfc
20-03-2020, 10:32 PM
Jeez .... That was the most mental goal celebration I've ever been part of and that's saying something having been part of the SDG goal celebrations in 2016 .. it was as close to mass hysteria as I've ever been part of, perhaps because we were packed in behind that goals like sardines .. it was truly mental :agree:

The two that stand out for me were firstly Brian Rice's goal against Dumbarton at Boghead back in the day .. we were struggling at the bottom of the table and Hibs had organised buses to the game ... a long ball was played from halfway, it dropped over Rice's right shoulder and he first time volleyed it into the net from about 20 odd yards .. an absolute screamer. 2nd was Latapy's volley in the 6 - 2 game ... what a goal it was.

I have a vague recollection of that. Rice had a sweet left foot on him and could volley a ball like the best of them on his day. A cultured player. We followed Hibs everywhere in the 70s and 80s as my dad had done as much as he could in the 50s and 60s.

Latapy's goal will always be remembered as one of the best ever.

Joe6-2
20-03-2020, 10:44 PM

First one that came to mind for me

CallumLaidlaw
20-03-2020, 10:51 PM
This wasn’t a bad one -

https://youtu.be/afOQ9j8lcX4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2020, 10:52 PM
Dom Malonga versus Aberdeen is up there for me.

The 90+2
20-03-2020, 10:56 PM

I was there both them too! I’ll find the footage of that Zitelli goal if it kills me now 😁

Beaten too it by monsuier peeve 💚

ekhibee
20-03-2020, 10:57 PM
Zitelli vs AEK

This.

jeffers
20-03-2020, 11:02 PM
This one (unfortunately) is up there.

https://www.walfoot.be/news/2019-10-31/-il-y-a-30-ans-j-f-de-sart-qualifiait-le-rfc-liege-sur-ce-bijou-en-coupe-deurope

Man Down Under
20-03-2020, 11:06 PM
I haven't been to a huge amount of games but I had a great view of the curl of Griffiths goal against Falkirk in the Scottish Cup, I'll never forget that.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Since452
20-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Brilliant question. Lots in the Mowbray era but I've got to say Kevin Harper's goal in 98 in the derby. Took it from half way line and ran and ran before slotting it past Rousset. Probably stopped a very good Hearts side winning the league. Oh. And my first every derby. My dad whacked me on the head celebrating. Explains a lot. Probably when I really fell in love with Hibernian.

mim
20-03-2020, 11:31 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke 1972 League cup final.
Not only a great goal but one that won us a cup against a great Celtic team.

Auckland Hibs
20-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Darren Jackson v Dundee Utd in the cup semi at the PBS - absolute carnage on the terraces.

DetroitHibs
20-03-2020, 11:42 PM
Darren Jackson playing at ER for the Scotland B team again N Ireland. Absolute peach.

Mango Man
20-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Agathe against Dundee, 2 of his goals were peaches, but the run from his own half skinning about 5 players, was a joy to watch.

Weir07
21-03-2020, 12:02 AM

Funny, was just thinking of that goal today for some reason, been to 100's of Hibs games but still think that's the finest goal I've ever seen live, stunning strike!

The 90+2
21-03-2020, 12:42 AM
Big Cheik Tiote in the most amazing comeback ever will take some beating. What a hit son, take a bow.

The 90+2
21-03-2020, 12:44 AM
Darren Jackson playing at ER for the Scotland B team again N Ireland. Absolute peach.

Jackson against us was a topper too in the Sauzee teeth game. Prick had the tap off and everything I’m sure.

Thief
21-03-2020, 12:55 AM
Ralph Callaghan v Dundee. I'll never forget it. Fantastic skill and tantalising anticipation as he could have put it away after the 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th challenges only to slot it home after he had sat down the 5th defender.

First one that came to mind! Very similar to Wee Archie’s goal against Holland in ‘78.

Don’t think there was any tv coverage of the game, unfortunately [emoji20]

NAE NOOKIE
21-03-2020, 01:27 AM
This wasn’t a bad one -

I was at this game ... FF upper about 4 rows from the front right in the middle behind the goals, I had just about the best vantage point in the whole stadium to watch that goal ......... and was so busy yapping to my mate I wasn't looking and missed it :faf:

s2hart
21-03-2020, 01:53 AM

Funny I can't remember any of the other goals from that game
apart from Hunter's.

I spoke to him a few years ago about it, he's used to people going on about the Tynie goal so he was pleased to hear, he reckons Neil Orr took the corner! I don't recall him being our corner taker either! Memory not what it used to be haha!

Also no TV cameras at the game if I recall!

Viva_Palmeiras
21-03-2020, 03:00 AM
Funny, was just thinking of that goal today for some reason, been to 100's of Hibs games but still think that's the finest goal I've ever seen live, stunning strike!

What about Mikey Stewart’s volley from a corner against Aberdeen (he describes as the best of his career against Aberdeen in the cup at Tynie?)

chasitup
21-03-2020, 04:42 AM
Martin Boyle volley against Livingston for me, I couldn't wait to see it again and again. I couldn't believe he'd had the technique in him.

Gloucester Hibs
21-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Lauren Robert with a belter of a free kick for Newcastle v Liverpool

Chico Charnley from the half way line was a thing of beauty.

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Charnleys goal versus Celtic after a peach of a pass from Henrik Larson to set us up for a win and send us top of the League

In true HIBS style we went down that year :greengrin

Great thread

lugz
21-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Was it alloa that beat us 1-0 at Easter road and the guy scored a peach? One of the best hits I've seen.

First season in the championship iirc.

Superfurry72
21-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Just for a bit of fun but what`s the best goal you`ve seen scored by Hibs in the flesh. Obviously SDG`s goal is the most important but in my view, not the best.

Mine would be Michael O`Neill`s volley against Motherwell in 1994 - pin-point cross from Kevin Harper and Mikey blasted the ball into the net from just inside the penalty box.

Mine too. The crowd let out a collective gasp when that went in - what a goal in what was an excellent game too.

Tom Hart RIP
21-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Bobby Duncan's against Naples. Picked up the ball on the half way line, strode forward and hit 35/40 yard screamer past Dino Zoff into the top corner.
Shoot had a competition shortly after that to name the best goal ever and I wrote in to nominate Bobby's. It didn't win but they sent me a signed photo of Colin Bell which was a big deal for a young laddie in those days.

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Mine too. The crowd let out a collective gasp when that went in - what a goal in what was an excellent game too.

:agree:

Cracking strike and as you say a very good game

I found it very nostalgic watching this in the old stadium seeing two right good sides having a go at each other certainly gave me my weekend HIBS fix

https://youtu.be/dvgDNxueTtA

Smartie
21-03-2020, 08:12 AM
We scored some great goals during the “great adventure” year.

Justin Skinner and Franck Sauzee both scored crackers from corners put back outside the area. I can’t remember if Hartley ever scored one from a corner but he scored a couple of thumping shots from distance too around that time.

Then there was Barry Prenderville’s goal that I missed.

Keith_M
21-03-2020, 08:29 AM
George Best's goal against Celtc.

But that may be influenced by the fact that I was a 13 y/o that had just seen George Best scoring a goal for Hibs

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
21-03-2020, 08:36 AM

LC final goal here, just after 2.40:

https://youtu.be/1iLU4E1iXPA

You can see how rammed the terrace is during the celebration. I was just a bairn and remember barely being able to move. I also remember a guy in front of me who spent the entire game screaming 'child molllllesssterrr' every time Richard Gough went within 20 yards of the ball.

DaveF
21-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Ian Murray scored a great solo goal against Dundee United (I think) at ER where he skinned a few players after a long run. Or so I remember it, but the reality is he probably beat 1 player and sclaffed it in.

BoomtownHibees
21-03-2020, 08:38 AM
What about Mikey Stewart’s volley from a corner against Aberdeen (he describes as the best of his career against Aberdeen in the cup at Tynie?)

It was at ER

B.H.F.C
21-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Ian Murray scored a great solo goal against Dundee United (I think) at ER where he skinned a few players after a long run. Or so I remember it, but the reality is he probably beat 1 player and sclaffed it in.

You remember correctly. Smashed it in with his right foot.

Think that was the year he ended up in double figures for goals from midfield and ended up being a centre half the year after!

DaveF
21-03-2020, 08:50 AM
You remember correctly. Smashed it in with his right foot.

Think that was the year he ended up in double figures for goals from midfield and ended up being a centre half the year after!

Yep, a right footer which I think is why it sticks in your head. He was outstanding that season.

Smiggy 7-0
21-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke 1972 League cup final.
Not only a great goal but one that won us a cup against a great Celtic team.

Agree, but there are another 7 that come close to that:
Jimmy O'Rourke v Hearts 1/1/73
Alan Gordon v Hearts 1/1/73
Arthur Duncan v Hearts 1/1/73
Alex Cropley v Hearts 1/1/73
Arthur Duncan v Hearts 1/1/73
Jimmy O'Rourke v Hearts 1/1/73
Alan Gordon v Hearts 1/1/73

CockneyRebel
21-03-2020, 09:34 AM
Dom Malonga versus Aberdeen is up there for me.

Just signed in and would have said the same.

CockneyRebel
21-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Darren Jackson v Dundee Utd in the cup semi at the PBS - absolute carnage on the terraces.

Good call.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Deeks versus Dundee (I think?) years ago at ER. We were 4-1 up, lovely cross-field ball from Whitty (or mebbes Boozy?) to Deeks on the sideline about 40 yards out on the diagonal, volleys it with his left foot, one bounce just before the keeper and in. Only to be ruled offside...!

Outrageous skill.

CockneyRebel
21-03-2020, 09:48 AM

Absolute stunner - the whole move and then O'Neills technique, wow!

Kato
21-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Funny I can't remember any of the other goals from that game
apart from Hunter's.

I spoke to him a few years ago about it, he's used to people going on about the Tynie goal so he was pleased to hear, he reckons Neil Orr took the corner! I don't recall him being our corner taker either! Memory not what it used to be haha!

Also no TV cameras at the game if I recall!It was a cracking match. I remember quite a few left at halftime but those that stayed were treated to very gritty comeback.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Keith_M
21-03-2020, 10:42 AM
George Best's goal against Celtc.

But that may be influenced by the fact that I was a 13 y/o that had just seen George Best scoring a goal for Hibs

Found a video of it on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVT-cgqKJsE)

Smartie
21-03-2020, 11:03 AM

Absolute stunner - the whole move and then O'Neills technique, wow!

I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

It's a goal that has aged well.

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=gloryhunter;6124216]

I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

It's a goal that has aged well.

Posted it further up the thread

ancient hibee
21-03-2020, 11:46 AM
One that sticks in my mind is Jim Scott for Edinburgh Select against Newcastle in the 1959 curtain raiser.Newcastle had tried to sign him but he came to Hibs from Bo'ness and played a couple of games at the end of season 1958/59.A new young player was always included in the Select team and he played on the right wing.Just before the end he basically dribbled through the entire left side of Newcastle rounded the keeper(Simpson I think)and rolled the ball in.Select won 4-2 ,Willie Bauld got two,can't remember the other scorer.The following week it was Rangers in the League Cup.Scott scored early but Rangers scored the next six

The Harp
21-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Totally agree with you on that one. It's the one that stands out for me above all the other great goals. Such a shame there were no TV cameras to record it for posterity.
I met Ralph many years later with Jackie Mac in the 4 in hand and told him his goal was the best I've ever seen. Nice unassuming guy to talk to.

hhibs
21-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Stanton against Aberdeen when Baker returned to Hibs, first goal Aberdeen had lost in 13 games !

Memories , The Return!

Joe had an earlier goal chalked off before that,if my memory serves me.

Alfred E Newman
21-03-2020, 12:08 PM
Bobby Duncan from 50 yards against Napoli :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
21-03-2020, 12:09 PM

That was a great goal. Another honourable mention to Latapy's against Hearts in the 6-2 rout.

Remember seeing King Kenny score against Spain at Hampden in 1985 in a 3-1 win. Was only 12 years old but that memory has stuck with me.

marleyhib
21-03-2020, 12:21 PM

Loved that goal - 2 mins 45 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgDNxueTtA

Solonleith1
21-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Keating's vs Falkirk. Absolute belter which curled into the postage stamp top right hand corner which was also a last minute winner. Effectively sealed the league too. Michael stewart against aberdeen a few years ago in the cup too.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Was it alloa that beat us 1-0 at Easter road and the guy scored a peach? One of the best hits I've seen.

First season in the championship iirc.

Alloa never beat us at home.

Don't remember us conceding a screamer in a 1-0 defeat that season.

brog
21-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Totally agree with you on that one. It's the one that stands out for me above all the other great goals. Such a shame there were no TV cameras to record it for posterity.
I met Ralph many years later with Jackie Mac in the 4 in hand and told him his goal was the best I've ever seen. Nice unassuming guy to talk to.

Agree 100% on all counts. If Ralph's goal had been on TV this debate would have ended after 1 post. Like u Ive been telling Ralph it was the best but for about 40 years now! Surprised there"s been no mention of Alen Orman at Ibrox & Zitelli's lob at St J, great team goal.

Jonnyboy
21-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Alloa never beat us at home.

Don't remember us conceding a screamer in a 1-0 defeat that season.

Think it was Stranraer and the winning goal was pretty good IIRC

O'Rourke3
21-03-2020, 01:22 PM
A screamer from Young I think who we'd just released....

GibbytheHibby2
21-03-2020, 01:44 PM

My favourite goal is the same outcome but against Dundee Utd at ER. Not sure if we both have the same goal or if he scored two similar ones 🤷🏼*♂️. It was a quick counter attacking move, 4 or 5 crisp passes and a sublime finish 👍. At the Dunbar end too - O’Neill just put his hands to the side as if to say - see what you’ve missed out on.

hibby6270
21-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Always a toss up for me between Russell’s goal number 6 in 2000 or Deek’s goal in 2004 (Craig Gordon in goal) both against them in derby games.
Leigh’s free kick at Tynie nudges in there as well (although to be fair I didn’t see that one ‘in the flesh’).
Chic Charnley’s own half goal against Alloa gets an honourable mention also?

brog
21-03-2020, 01:56 PM
A screamer from Young I think who we'd just released....

It was Jason Young, ex Hearts! The good news is we only dropped 2 points at home all season after that!

Pretty Boy
21-03-2020, 02:19 PM
What was the SC game a couple of seasons back in which we conceded an absolute peach at home? I think it was a cup game but I could be wrong.

We won comfortably but a guy banged one straight into the top corner from the angle of the box.

bod
21-03-2020, 02:23 PM

:agree::agree:

wondered how far in before someone thought the same as me
didn't think it would've been the very 1st one

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2020, 02:24 PM
What was the SC game a couple of seasons back in which we conceded an absolute peach at home? I think it was a cup game but I could be wrong.

We won comfortably but a guy banged one straight into the top corner from the angle of the box.

Aye United. 3-1 win. Scott McKenna sent off for attempted murder on Mcginn.

Pretty Boy
21-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Found it:

https://youtu.be/1NYX-HNDzt0

4.40ish. The McKenna Challenge is a shocker.

O'Rourke3
21-03-2020, 02:26 PM
It was Jason Young, ex Hearts! The good news is we only dropped 2 points at home all season after that!Right player but Igot the wrong club. . Old age ....

DH1875
21-03-2020, 02:27 PM
My mind might be playing tricks on me but Joe Tortalano scored a screamer from outside the box in a defeat against Falkirk at Brockville. I was a kid at time and only started following Hibs that season or season before. Joe quickly became my favourite player and I was forever singing the super Joe song. Little did I realise that he didn't do it every week lol. Ahh the memories.

sambajustice
21-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Barry Prenderville vs St Mirren

brog
21-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Found it:

https://youtu.be/1NYX-HNDzt0

4.40ish. The McKenna Challenge is a shocker.

Ta!! I'd forgotten it was McKenna. We were right behind the Ayr lad when he scored. It was in from the moment it left his foot. Superb goal, think it won Goal of the Tournament.

lugz
21-03-2020, 06:52 PM
Right player but Igot the wrong club. . Old age ....

Yeah I couldn't remember the team or the score hahaha.

darwenhibby
21-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Kano’s header v the yams 17/10/87
Buried the first Derby hoodoo
The celebrations after the longest second half ever

Austinho
21-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Didier Agathe’s mazy run from his own half against Dundee was world class: https://youtu.be/QetdkEYQ-0A

Michael Stewart’s volley straight from the corner against Aberdeen was special too.

gillythehibby
21-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Deek's goal against the **** at Easter Road. Collects it, cuts in 25 yards out and curls it top corner into the postage stamp past Craig Gordon. Take a bow son ! :agree:

erin go bragh
21-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Deek's goal against the **** at Easter Road. Collects it, cuts in 25 yards out and curls it top corner into the postage stamp past Craig Gordon. Take a bow son ! :agree:
Also Deeks fav goal ( aka his Si Ferri podcast) was a great goal ( looked even better from the east )

Saint Hibee
21-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Having grown up in Southampton, Matt Le Tissier takes up pretty much the entire top ten, especially a free kick against Wimbledon when he flicks it up with his left foot and volleys it in with his right; and one against Norwich where he literally dribbles around the entire Norwich team before banging it in.

In the past 14 years of watching Hibs, Malonga’s goal against Aberdeen was pretty enjoyable, as was a Gary Deegan screamer also against Aberdeen, in the cup. Against us, I remember a guy scoring from the halfway line a couple of years ago, and he’d done it the previous week as well; forgotten his name.

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Having grown up in Southampton, Matt Le Tissier takes up pretty much the entire top ten, especially a free kick against Wimbledon when he flicks it up with his left foot and volleys it in with his right; and one against Norwich where he literally dribbles around the entire Norwich team before banging it in.

In the past 14 years of watching Hibs, Malonga’s goal against Aberdeen was pretty enjoyable, as was a Gary Deegan screamer also against Aberdeen, in the cup. Against us, I remember a guy scoring from the halfway line a couple of years ago, and he’d done it the previous week as well; forgotten his name.

Adam Hammill

Mibbes Aye
21-03-2020, 09:26 PM
I would echo a couple of posts citing the late 90s.

Harper's goal in the April derby was a peach, but all the more so because of the significance of the result. Lavety's goal wasn't too shabby either.

We knew we were likely to be relegated at that stage of the season and the HOMFC fans had a few songs for us that day. We knew they were still in with a chance of contesting the league title though. The result put paid to that. I was hoarse for a couple of days from the amount of times I sang "Walking in a Harper Wonderland" at the end of the match and in the streets of Leith that evening!

Chic Charnley's goal was just one of those 'wow' moments. I can picture him taking the shot, think the Alloa keeper was Mike Murphy and he wasn't miles off his line but enough for Chico to catch him out. I was with my mate in the East and we did that cliched double-take turn to look at each other, jaws open, in a "Did we really just see that happen?". It was a massive delayed reaction before we remembered to celebrate!!

Desperately hoping that in true.net tradition, someone posts asking whether Pat McGinlay didn't do something similar in the next home game :greengrin

zitelli62
21-03-2020, 09:30 PM
As was said, the overhead kick was at Dens.

Not just not good enough to be Goal of the Month, but actually not good enough to be shortlisted as CONTENDER for Goal of the Month.

I remember Smith pathetically arguing that it wasn't that good a goal and another goal by Ronald de Boer was better. Was Smith not an agent for De Boer?

I remember saying to my mate at the game why has he turned his back when the ball came to him little do I know great player for hibs, I also named my son david after him as my wife didn't want me to call him mixu Frank or Russell. Great team then le god best of the bunch.

The 90+2
21-03-2020, 09:32 PM

Yeah I’m changing to that.

The 90+2
21-03-2020, 09:33 PM
I remember saying to my mate at the game why has he turned his back when the ball came to him little do I know great player for hibs, I also named my son david after him as my wife didn't want me to call him mixu Frank or Russell. Great team then le god best of the bunch.

Did the overhead kick not come from a corner, Sunday night? Great times following the Hibs away back then.

granty6_2
21-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Paul Wright, he scored a beauty against us for Kilmarnock in a Scottish cup match at ER.

Driving snow, in freezing conditions he scored a beauty from 30 yards.

Never been so cold at a match!!

Onceinawhile
21-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Paul Wright, he scored a beauty against us for Kilmarnock in a Scottish cup match at ER.

He scored 2 that day. I was mascot. Got to meet jim Leighton.

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 09:43 PM

Absolutely baltic that day pretty sure he scored two similar strikes that day that came out of the sky with snow on them past Jim Leighton

A promising career at HIBS ended by what can only be described as an assault by Neil Berry breaking his leg

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 09:47 PM
David Gray against The Rangers in an easy 4-0 win at Easter Road

Into the top corner from the outside of his right boot from 22 yards out

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 09:51 PM
I would echo a couple of posts citing the late 90s.

Harper's goal in the April derby was a peach, but all the more so because of the significance of the result. Lavety's goal wasn't too shabby either.

We knew we were likely to be relegated at that stage of the season and the HOMFC fans had a few songs for us that day. We knew they were still in with a chance of contesting the league title though. The result put paid to that. I was hoarse for a couple of days from the amount of times I sang "Walking in a Harper Wonderland" at the end of the match and in the streets of Leith that evening!

Chic Charnley's goal was just one of those 'wow' moments. I can picture him taking the shot, think the Alloa keeper was Mike Murphy and he wasn't miles off his line but enough for Chico to catch him out. I was with my mate in the East and we did that cliched double-take turn to look at each other, jaws open, in a "Did we really just see that happen?". It was a massive delayed reaction before we remembered to celebrate!!

Desperately hoping that in true.net tradition, someone posts asking whether Pat McGinlay didn't do something similar in the next home game :greengrin

Pretty sure Goals McGinley scored a similar goal but not as good a few weeks later at Easter Road in a 4-0 win versus Kilmarnock

I remember him running towards Chico and waving to his wife Margaret in the Stand

I know there is always one 😁

theonlywayisup
21-03-2020, 10:09 PM

My favourite goal, ever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XtXnafCwU

Hampden was bouncing that night.

HoboHarry
21-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Best goal I ever seen live was the right back on a team I was playing for a million years ago. I played the ball across to him thinking he would take off on a run but he'd seen the goalkeeper miles off his line and he absolutely skelped it and with a fair bit of help from a swirling wind, sent it over the keeper and in from about 60 yards. Never seen anything else like it in all the years I played.....

The Harp
21-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Agree 100% on all counts. If Ralph's goal had been on TV this debate would have ended after 1 post. Like u Ive been telling Ralph it was the best but for about 40 years now! Surprised there"s been no mention of Alen Orman at Ibrox & Zitelli's lob at St J, great team goal..

I was about to ask if you could recall what year Ralph scored that wonder goal but then I checked the book Hibernian The Players and Managers 1946 - 2009 by Jim Jeffrey and found the following included among Ralph's details:

"In August 1979 he scored one of the great Easter Road goals when slaloming through the Dundee defence before rounding the keeper to net."

The post by EVENTUALLY earlier described the goal pretty well, I thought. It's good to know some of us still remember it. The other 2 goals you mentioned were classics too. The old memory bank isn't working as well as it used to, but those goals wont be forgotten (hopefully).

Mibbes Aye
21-03-2020, 10:54 PM
Pretty sure Goals McGinley scored a similar goal but not as good a few weeks later at Easter Road in a 4-0 win versus Kilmarnock

I remember him running towards Chico and waving to his wife Margaret in the Stand

I know there is always one 😁

Yeah, McGinlay was down the slope and inside their half but not by much. It was a great goal to see though, obviously Chico's effort had sparked his teammates to try and emulate.

A couple of folk have mentioned opposition goals, though that wasn't the OP's intention. I remember how strong the Rangers team was in the early to mid-nineties (younger viewers may not know of this club, they went out of business some years ago - essentially they are like Third Lanark), yet we still were able to give them a decent game and conjure up a few wins (whilst taking a few cuffings too).

One team we never seemed to have fortune against was the revitalised Celtc team with Cadete, Van Hoojdonk and Di Canio as a forward three. I remember a goal, possibly that 97-98 season, maybe the year before but I can't remember who put the ball in the net for them. It started with the keeper rolling or knocking it out to a defender and it was like watching ice hockey. The ball travelled up the field in seconds, one touch passing almost all the way and they had scored. Our players were genuinely lost. It was one of those rare moments, probably rarer now, where at least a few of us in the East applauded an opposition goal, albeit halfheartedely and resentfully.

Hermit Crab
21-03-2020, 11:21 PM
I think Deeks volley at Tynecastle in a 2-1 defeat is up there with one of the best Hibs goals I've seen in the flesh. The speed at which the ball flew in is unbelievable.

Alan shearer free kick at old trafford is some hit as well. https://youtu.be/fHtuFQPjOSw

IberianHibernian
21-03-2020, 11:37 PM
Too many to mention BUT I'll pick out one that still gives me goosebumps when I envisage it in my head. Joe McBride (Snr) in a game against Celtic when he scored both in a 2-0 win. The special finish came when he swivelled on the half turn and volleyed it home. Doesn't sound much I know, but believe me it was a stunning finish :thumbsup:That`s still my favourite too . I was in the Cave for probably my first game with a big crowd aged about 9 and still remember seeing it through packed crowd .

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-03-2020, 02:05 AM

Aye, Gudmundur Torfason.

Forza Fred
22-03-2020, 05:18 AM
Willie Hamilton's goal from the byeline against Hearts at Tynecastle

Hibeesforever
22-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Did the overhead kick not come from a corner, Sunday night? Great times following the Hibs away back then.

I made a mistake by going to the station on the Saturday only to be told the game was on a Sunday evening...awkward time but I was do pleased that I made the trip, a fabulous goal from Zitelli and it was great fun following that exciting side as we challenged Celtic for a while!

MrSmith
22-03-2020, 06:39 AM
Kano’s header v the yams 17/10/87
Buried the first Derby hoodoo
The celebrations after the longest second half ever

Andy Goram's first derby at ER? If so I was there and in the jumbos arrogance, Potter shot straight at our goal from kick off! They thought Andy Goram was a midget goalkeeper and could score at will from anywhere. We won 2-1 that day :D Pissed me off though that all the pubs where shut in Edinburgh after the game.

Stokesy's on fire
22-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Horgans goal v hearts at Tynecastle for me now. The build up play and movement was outstanding.

Pretty Boy
22-03-2020, 08:19 AM
To add to the Derek Riordan appreciation he scored an absolute beauty away to Aberdeen. 1-0 win in Mowbrays first season and I think it was the game everyone started to believe that team was the real deal. Long ball, one touch to take it away from the defender, 2nd touch was a strike right across the keeper into the far corner. Amazing technique. Dobbie missed a sitter late on to put it to bed.

JXM73
22-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Mallan's v hearts is one of my favourites...

https://youtu.be/0dGDWTovoIk

My old man
22-03-2020, 09:31 AM

my all time favourite I was behind the goal as well

GGTTH

now back to business...............

Norrieg
22-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Bobby Duncan against Dino Zoff (the best keeper in the world ???):top marks:not worth Not that night he wasn't !!!

JohnMcM
22-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Bobby Duncan against Dino Zoff (the best keeper in the world ???):top marks:not worth Not that night he wasn't !!!

Beat me to it there. Wonder goal on a wonder night.:greengrin

pollution
22-03-2020, 05:19 PM
For sheer speed Joe Harper's sliding finish from a Duncan run down hill against Liverpool in the 70's.

Was that match televised?

Just_Jimmy
22-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Latapy 6-2

Any goal to beat them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

brog
22-03-2020, 05:29 PM
For sheer speed Joe Harper's sliding finish from a Duncan run down hill against Liverpool in the 70's.

Yes, seen it many times.

BILLYHIBS
22-03-2020, 05:37 PM

There you go

https://youtu.be/S6aFDyKlD50

pollution
22-03-2020, 06:03 PM
There you go

https://youtu.be/S6aFDyKlD50

Thanks, made my day. It was the wettest day I had ever watched a game in.

19000 turned up all the same!

BILLYHIBS
22-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Thanks, made my day. It was the wettest day I had ever watched a game in.

19000 turned up all the same!

Yip got a soaking in the old North Enclosure

gaz1875
22-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Best non Hibs goal Zidane at Hampden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfomw-Z4uE I was right behind the goal :top marks

Liberal Hibby
22-03-2020, 10:50 PM

We have a winner...

Frankhfc
22-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Still think it was the Keith and Mickey goal against the Rangers in the semi final of 1991/92.

Greatest night ever in my Hibs supporting life. Although 6-2 and the Millenium Derby ranks close to it. However, travelling through to Hampden on a night not many predicted we had a chance in and beating the Rangers was superlative. Superb.

147lothian
23-03-2020, 12:34 AM

Aye that one is always up there with me, I can hardly tell you what happened yesterday but goals like that stay with me, if I remember right he put it in the top left corner first, the ref ordered it to be taken again, this time you could see the goalie moving to the top left corner and he put it in the top right, brought the house down and their was a sense of custice for it having to take it again.

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2020, 06:36 AM
Still think it was the Keith and Mickey goal against the Rangers in the semi final of 1991/92.

Greatest night ever in my Hibs supporting life. Although 6-2 and the Millenium Derby ranks close to it. However, travelling through to Hampden on a night not many predicted we had a chance in and beating the Rangers was superlative. Superb.

Brilliant night

Seemed to take the Ref an age to award the goal but there was little he could do as Keith Keith Keith placed his header perfectly from Mickeys cross between two Huns on the line

When the Ref pointed to the Centre Spot we went radge but just knew we were in for a long night :greengrin

brog
23-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Aye that one is always up there with me, I can hardly tell you what happened yesterday but goals like that stay with me, if I remember right he put it in the top left corner first, the ref ordered it to be taken again, this time you could see the goalie moving to the top left corner and he put it in the top right, brought the house down and their was a sense of custice for it having to take it again.

Jimmy O had done the same years earlier against Falkirk. To make it even sweeter the Falkirk keeper was Jimmy's cousin Dennis Devlin & Dennis was a great Hibby! If you want cheering up in these awful times there's a great thread about Jimmy O on here from about a month before that magical day!

MrSmith
23-03-2020, 10:36 AM
I forgot about Andy Goram's kick out against Morton that ended up in the net from our own box :D Late 80s I think.

Peevemor
23-03-2020, 10:39 AM
I forgot about Andy Goram's kick out against Morton that ended up in the net from our own box :D Late 80s I think.

If I remember correctly, there was a minute's silence for Tom Hart that day - the first I'd been in at a football match.

MrSmith
23-03-2020, 10:41 AM
If I remember correctly, there was a minute's silence for Tom Hart that day - the first I'd been in at a football match.

I think you are right although I cannot remember exactly but do have an essence of something very special about that game, aside from the goal.

JimBHibees
23-03-2020, 10:41 AM
Didier Agathe’s mazy run from his own half against Dundee was world class: https://youtu.be/QetdkEYQ-0A

Michael Stewart’s volley straight from the corner against Aberdeen was special too.

Agathes goal is brilliant unfortunately Martin ONeill was in the stand watching. :rolleyes:

Diclonius
23-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Snap.

Peevemor
23-03-2020, 11:06 AM
I think you are right although I cannot remember exactly but do have an essence of something very special about that game, aside from the goal.

I checked and I'm mistaken. I think Tom Hart died in 1982 (the year of theTom Hart memorial trophy vs Hearts) and Goram didn't sign for us until 5 years later.

Right team, wrong match.

MrSmith
23-03-2020, 11:20 AM
I checked and I'm mistaken. I think Tom Hart died in 1982 (the year of theTom Hart memorial trophy vs Hearts) and Goram didn't sign for us until 5 years later.

Right team, wrong match.

There was definitely something about that game. Will look into further. :thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
23-03-2020, 11:25 AM
There was definitely something about that game. Will look into further. :thumbsup:

I was there that day with a girlfriend of the time. Treated her to the centre stand as it was half price entry that day to all parts of the ground. That and Gorams goal are about all I remember. Think we won 3-1. Definitely no minutes silence though

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2020, 11:29 AM

Right team, wrong match.

Hibernian 1 v 0 Hearts August 1982 Tom Hart Memorial Trophy last minute goal from Jackie MacNamara Snr cue fighting on the Terraces and the surrounding Streets outside

Always have been bad losers

MrSmith
23-03-2020, 11:42 AM
I was there that day with a girlfriend of the time. Treated her to the centre stand as it was half price entry that day to all parts of the ground. That and Gorams goal are about all I remember. Think we won 3-1. Definitely no minutes silence though

Cool :D

Barman Stanton
23-03-2020, 12:46 PM
I remember seeing Darren Jackson score an incredible goal at Easter Road for Scotland B. Memory hazy but think he flicked ball over a player before hitting it from outside the box.

Not Hibs obv but a Hibs player at Easter Road.

Hibiza
23-03-2020, 12:50 PM

Mines too , just superb.

bythecringe
23-03-2020, 12:57 PM
I remember back in 1960 or 61 seeing Joe Baker score up at the Dunbar end against Killie who were flying high at the time. Joe was closely marked by the centre half and had his back to the goal just outside the penalty area. He controlled a high ball on his thigh, flicked it over his head, ran round the centre half and volleyed it into the roof of the net. I was a young kid and had never seen anything like it before. We won 4-1 (I think) and it was a real shock result. Perhaps Willie Toner was the centre half but Young Joe was too good for him. Probably have been better goals since but that one stays in my mind.

brog
23-03-2020, 02:22 PM
I remember back in 1960 or 61 seeing Joe Baker score up at the Dunbar end against Killie who were flying high at the time. Joe was closely marked by the centre half and had his back to the goal just outside the penalty area. He controlled a high ball on his thigh, flicked it over his head, ran round the centre half and volleyed it into the roof of the net. I was a young kid and had never seen anything like it before. We won 4-1 (I think) and it was a real shock result. Perhaps Willie Toner was the centre half but Young Joe was too good for him. Probably have been better goals since but that one stays in my mind.

Good shout! My memory of the goal is that Joe actually started in the centre circle & for many years after I could recite the Evening Dispatch description of the goal. I probably still could!! Willie Toner was indeed the centre half & there was a clamour for him to be capped for Scotland. The clamour disappeared after that game, Joe destroyed poor Willie who later joined Hibs! The game was also notable for an extremely rare Joe McLelland goal, he scored 2 in 256 appearances, & for us scoring 4 up the slope after a goalless 1st half. We won 4-0 I believe & as we always stood at the Dunbar End it was a great pleasure to see all these goals close up. I also remember Joe laying one on for Johnny McLeod & them meeting & engaging in a funny dance behind the goal. Really unusual in those days. Great memory, thanks!
PS, you were right about Killie's season, they lost the league by 1 point to Der Hun! Sorry Killie, never mind they won it 4 seasons later!! :wink:

gogsy23
23-03-2020, 03:50 PM
The goal scored by Michael oneil (iirc) v hearts while the stands were getting re developed. We were in purple and green stripes. Was an evening ko too i think. Super joe was great that night too.

Hibeesmad
23-03-2020, 04:11 PM
Griffiths free kick at Tynecastle was a screamer.

we are hibs
23-03-2020, 04:19 PM
Griffiths 2nd v england was unbelievable. To step up 2 minutes after scoring a late freekick and do it again shows superb quality. Probably the most mental i have went at a goal. I celebrated Grays but it quickly turned into disbelief. By the time i had stopped celebrating griffiths 2nd i looked up to see england had a freekick at the edge of the box. Then everyone knows what happened after that (cheers armstrong and gordon. Useless twats)

Since452
23-03-2020, 05:08 PM
Andy Halliday's cup winner in 2016 was a peach.

h1bs4life
23-03-2020, 05:33 PM

Apart from Sir David's at Hampden. What a goal Callachan scored if only there had been TV cameras there. I was sure he beat the 5 defenders twice before slotting it home.

BoomtownHibees
23-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Mark Oxley

Sammy7nil
23-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Not read the thread but surely David Gray

Kato
23-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Apart from Sir David's at Hampden. What a goal Callachan scored if only there had been TV cameras there. I was sure he beat the 5 defenders twice before slotting it home.Count myself lucky to have been there. Outstanding skill from Ralph and it did seem like the old joke of the ball being tied to his boot. Iirc correctly he didn't even slam the ball home, just slipped it into the net after dodging the keeper. Wish it had been captured by the telly. What I do remember is the extended applause he got after the initial celebrations died down. Well deserved.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

May21/05/16
23-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Dave nareys screamer versus brazil 1982 world cup the best I ever seen in the flesh that brazil team

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
23-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Andy Halliday's cup winner in 2016 was a peach.

That was funny 😂😂......

Squealing pig
24-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Zitelli at dens park , bonfire night years ago , cracker

surreyhibbie
24-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Apart from Sir David's at Hampden. What a goal Callachan scored if only there had been TV cameras there. I was sure he beat the 5 defenders twice before slotting it home.

Didn't see it myself but that was the one described in the newspaper as "the goal of this, next, or any other season"

Or words to that effect... Must have been some goal..

brog
24-03-2020, 02:34 PM
Didn't see it myself but that was the one described in the newspaper as "the goal of this, next, or any other season"

Or words to that effect... Must have been some goal..

Trust me it was unbelievable & most of it entailed Ralph dribbling along the goal line from the right corner flag down the slope. The finish was the icing on the cake. IIRC Ralph went round the keeper, moving off the goal line & leaving himself the empty net to score into. Insted of knocking the ball in however, Ralph put his foot on it as the keeper & a defender (or maybe 6) threw themselves in front of where they thought the ball was going. Once they had all stopped bouncing along the goal line Ralph rolled the ball in & calmly walked away. Quite amazing!

Springbank
24-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Slightly off-piste but the best reaction to a goal from my son was this (definite hibs content)

Early 2017, Hibs stayed on course to retain our Scottish Cup by knocking out Ayr Utd 3-1, though the goal of the game was by McGuffie of Ayr who arrowed a perfect rising drive into Rocky's net from 25 yards.

Fast forward 6 weeks & we had the once in a lifetime chance to go to El Clasico, at the Bernabeu, Messi v Ronaldo, finished Real 2 Barca 3 (messi holding up his shirt to the crowd at the late winner).

The goal we loved that game was Ivan Rakitic scoring for Barca. A show stopper of a 25 yarder that arrowed & rose majestically into the roof of the real net.

"WOW DAD! THATS JUST LIKE RYAN MCGUFFIE" yelled the young Leith kid sitting on my right....

Power
24-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Away - https://youtu.be/J0-_MPKiCiA

Easter Road - https://youtu.be/QetdkEYQ-0A

WoreTheGreen
24-03-2020, 07:31 PM

ER my son’s first game and he got his picture in the paper celebrating

Iggy Pope
24-03-2020, 08:17 PM

Aw man, the excitement after that Agathe goal. I was wondering what we had on our hands. Not for long.

PS
Boy in a white shirt about 3 seats above the LH upright cannot contain his delight.

kaimendhibs
24-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Loads but old and memory vaf.
Will go malonga v sheep in cup

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bighoose
24-03-2020, 08:41 PM
This one

O'Rourke3
24-03-2020, 08:47 PM
I forgot about Andy Goram's kick out against Morton that ended up in the net from our own box :D Late 80s I think.I remember the embarresed handshake with Gordon Rae. The Morton keeper was beaten two or three minutes after Beastie had beasted him at a corner. He was probably concussed. We went to the Centre Stand too that day but I'm not and never have been WCH girlfriend

jgl07
24-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Dave nareys screamer versus brazil 1982 world cup the best I ever seen in the flesh that brazil team

Described by Jimmy Hill as a ‘tie poke’!

weecounty hibby
24-03-2020, 10:31 PM
I remember the embarresed handshake with Gordon Rae. The Morton keeper was beaten two or three minutes after Beastie had beasted him at a corner. He was probably concussed. We went to the Centre Stand too that day but I'm not and never have been WCH girlfriend

Yet!!😜

The 90+2
24-03-2020, 10:34 PM
Who was the Scottish lad who scored a complete raker against Iceland in the U21 match at ER? (Lost, they had absolute quality in the team) That as probably the best goal I’ve seen at Easter Road come to think of it. Lee McCulloch of all people scored a absolute worldy against Ukraine at Hampden in the group we got cheated out of too.

stantonhibby
24-03-2020, 10:40 PM
Who was the Scottish lad who scored a complete raker against Iceland in the U21 match at ER? (Lost, they had absolute quality in the team) That as probably the best goal I’ve seen at Easter Road come to think of it. Lee McCulloch of all people scored a absolute worldy against Ukraine at Hampden in the group we got cheated out of too.

Chris Maguire?

HoboHarry
25-03-2020, 02:05 AM
Chris Maguire?

Yes, correct answer.....

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2020, 09:58 AM
Trust me it was unbelievable & most of it entailed Ralph dribbling along the goal line from the right corner flag down the slope. The finish was the icing on the cake. IIRC Ralph went round the keeper, moving off the goal line & leaving himself the empty net to score into. Insted of knocking the ball in however, Ralph put his foot on it as the keeper & a defender (or maybe 6) threw themselves in front of where they thought the ball was going. Once they had all stopped bouncing along the goal line Ralph rolled the ball in & calmly walked away. Quite amazing!

It gets my vote :aok:

Was behind the goals that day. People shouting "square it, pass it ffs....." :greengrin:greengrin

Diclonius
25-03-2020, 10:06 AM

Chris Maguire. Scored from the centre circle immediately on the restart.

Sigurdsson scored two world class goals in that game too.

The 90+2
25-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Chris Maguire?

That’s the one.

The 90+2
25-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Chris Maguire. Scored from the centre circle immediately on the restart.

Sigurdsson scored two world class goals in that game too.

Yeah was some game now the players have been mentioned 😁 thanks.