PDA

View Full Version : While the Chief... Marvin Bartley

matty_f
18-03-2020, 11:16 PM
We recorded a 2 hour interview with Marvin Bartley this evening, with a huge focus on his time at Hibs.

It was great fun to record, Marvin was an outstanding guest and he was really open about his time at Hibs, the time flew by recording it, hopefully it's as much fun listening to it.

You can catch it here;

Apple Podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560

Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/episode/6mpbXSO15ANCuyxIcV1cF9?si=5AZNrxqNTpCCs1SPkJbI9g

Anchor/web
https://t.co/AjooGL3QLX?amp=1

Hibbyradge
18-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Brilliant thanks.

I'll listen to that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

matty_f
18-03-2020, 11:36 PM
Brilliant thanks.

I'll listen to that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Honestly Dave, I know it's poor form to blow your own trumpet, but he was such an entertaining guest and so open, you're bound to really enjoy it.

cameronw-hfc
19-03-2020, 02:19 AM
Great listen, good job guys. Only gripe is that the audio between questions seemed to be a little behind the answers, or they were cutting out and couldnt hear part of question. Not a dig, love the podcasts.

JimmyJazz1875
19-03-2020, 03:02 AM
Great listening.
The story of his time at Leyton Orient was hilarious.

matty_f
19-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Great listen, good job guys. Only gripe is that the audio between questions seemed to be a little behind the answers, or they were cutting out and couldnt hear part of question. Not a dig, love the podcasts.

We didn't get that when recording, I think there's a couple of minutes right towards the end when the audio goes a bit but we couldn't really do much about it.

matty_f
19-03-2020, 05:30 AM
Great listening.
The story of his time at Leyton Orient was hilarious.

:greengrin it sounded like another club not far from here during a certain submariner's tenure...

Heisenberg
19-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Leyton Orient definitely sounded eventful when he was there 😂. Definitely some issues with the sound for me too? Sounded like questions were being asked that we couldn’t hear because Marv was responding to things out of the blue. Also a lot of overlapping audio with questions being asked and Marv answering at the same time. Could still make sense of it though and it was an interesting listen.

hibsbollah
19-03-2020, 10:44 AM
There was something wrong with the audio, but definitely that's the best pod yet. You can only love Marv, everything that came out of his mouth was inspiring and spot on. My eyes starting feeling a bit damp talking about the Ross county final, sunshine on leith and the sense of pride playing for us.

matty_f
19-03-2020, 10:56 AM
There was something wrong with the audio, but definitely that's the best pod yet. You can only love Marv, everything that came out of his mouth was inspiring and spot on. My eyes starting feeling a bit damp talking about the Ross county final, sunshine on leith and the sense of pride playing for us.

Yeah I'm really sorry about the audio, absolutely gutted about it to be honest because Marvin was so good it is a crying shame that is lost a bit of quality.

hibsbollah
19-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Yeah I'm really sorry about the audio, absolutely gutted about it to be honest because Marvin was so good it is a crying shame that is lost a bit of quality.

You can still hear what he's saying which is the main thing.

matty_f
19-03-2020, 12:48 PM
You can still hear what he's saying which is the main thing.

True!!

I'll need to listen to it, the Hibs chat was really good, loved the derby chat and the Scottish Cup stuff.

cameronw-hfc
19-03-2020, 03:01 PM
We didn't get that when recording, I think there's a couple of minutes right towards the end when the audio goes a bit but we couldn't really do much about it.

Was still a great listen mate. Could hear what he was saying and the questions most of the time, just thought I'd mention I noticed it. Keep up the good work though, love the podcasts

matty_f
19-03-2020, 03:08 PM
Was still a great listen mate. Could hear what he was saying and the questions most of the time, just thought I'd mention I noticed it. Keep up the good work though, love the podcasts

Thanks chief. :aok:

Alfiembra
19-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Really enjoyed that Matty, why oh why did we let this man go?

matty_f
19-03-2020, 03:12 PM

Cheers! I was thinking the same all the way through it!

The 90+2
19-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Great interview. He’s a top guy is Marv. Could listen to him all day long.

Got the slight impression he didn’t rate Stubbsy as much as maybe I thought all the players did.

Thanks for the time and effort put into it. It’s really appreciated especially when things are boring as hell. (Until schools go off the morrow.)

Billy Whizz
19-03-2020, 03:39 PM

He wanted to go

BILLYHIBS
19-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Maybes see him back as a Coach or as a Manager

hibsbollah
19-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Great interview. He’s a top guy is Marv. Could listen to him all day long.

Got the slight impression he didn’t rate Stubbsy as much as maybe I thought all the players did.

Thanks for the time and effort put into it. It’s really appreciated especially when things are boring as hell. (Until schools go off the morrow.)

When he becomes a gaffer somewhere it's clear he'll take more influence from Lennon than he will from Stubbs. Also interesting what he was saying about the difference between a day job manager and a 24/7 obsessive like Eddie Howe.

LancsHibs
19-03-2020, 04:15 PM
A brilliant listen, thanks:thumbsup: (wouldn’t normally have had time to listen to this!)

The 90+2
19-03-2020, 04:29 PM
When he becomes a gaffer somewhere it's clear he'll take more influence from Lennon than he will from Stubbs. Also interesting what he was saying about the difference between a day job manager and a 24/7 obsessive like Eddie Howe.

Definitely. It was Stubbs’ first job as manager though (sadly looks his last decent one).

hibsbollah
19-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Definitely. It was Stubbs’ first job as manager though (sadly looks his last decent one).

Yes, Marv made that point too.

matty_f
19-03-2020, 05:59 PM
A brilliant listen, thanks:thumbsup: (wouldn’t normally have had time to listen to this!)

Nice one, thanks. :greengrin

The 90+2
19-03-2020, 07:16 PM
Any hits on who is being lined up Matty? Would love to hear from Rob Jones or someone like that personally.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Leyton Orient definitely sounded eventful when he was there 😂. Definitely some issues with the sound for me too? Sounded like questions were being asked that we couldn’t hear because Marv was responding to things out of the blue. Also a lot of overlapping audio with questions being asked and Marv answering at the same time. Could still make sense of it though and it was an interesting listen.

Audio probs perhaps something to do with compression?

Viva_Palmeiras
19-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Loved this one matty & josh Marvin certainly is a class act leave everything on the pitch

matty_f
19-03-2020, 07:31 PM
Any hits on who is being lined up Matty? Would love to hear from Rob Jones or someone like that personally.

Watch this space mate, got a few invitations it so will hopefully be in a position to announce soon.

DaveF
19-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Real shame about the sound but loved hearing Marv's chat. Well done for putting that together.

The 90+2
19-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Watch this space mate, got a few invitations it so will hopefully be in a position to announce soon.

Fantastic! 👍 cheers again.

matty_f
19-03-2020, 09:56 PM
Real shame about the sound but loved hearing Marv's chat. Well done for putting that together.

Can't tell you how gutted I am about it. I've emailed Anchor to see if they can do something about it, and if they can we'll re-publish the fixed version.

Mcpakeisgod
20-03-2020, 04:11 AM
Great listen. Well done lads.

Quick question , I couldn’t quite make out exactly what was said before but it sounded like Neil Lennon claimed Lewis Stevenson was unprofessional and MB defended him ? What’s the story behind that / why did neil Lennon say that ?

Heisenberg
20-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Great listen. Well done lads.

Quick question , I couldn’t quite make out exactly what was said before but it sounded like Neil Lennon claimed Lewis Stevenson was unprofessional and MB defended him ? What’s the story behind that / why did neil Lennon say that ?

I’m sure that was after the Hearts game at tiny when he went off on one and called some players unprofessional for wearing the wrong type of studs/boots.

matty_f
20-03-2020, 05:39 AM
I’m sure that was after the Hearts game at tiny when he went off on one and called some players unprofessional for wearing the wrong type of studs/boots.

Yeah, exactly that - Marvin thought that wasn't on so made sure he cleared it up.

I thought his chat about Lennon was really good and face a good picture of how things turned for Lennon at the club.

matty_f
20-03-2020, 01:17 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/so-out-shape-former-hibs-midfielder-marvin-bartley-recalls-hilarious-first-meeting-conrad-logan-2503323

Wee extract in the Evening News from the podcast!

Seveno
20-03-2020, 03:00 PM
What a brilliant listen. Great insight into the game in general as well as his time at Hibs in particular. All that and tremendously funny and entertaining.

Telling us about his goal for Livi at Tinycastle was hilarious.

My respect and admiration for Marv has grown even more. What a great professional and first class guy. Good to hear that he wants his first coaching job to be back at Hibs.

Well done guys.

The 90+2
20-03-2020, 03:03 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/so-out-shape-former-hibs-midfielder-marvin-bartley-recalls-hilarious-first-meeting-conrad-logan-2503323

Wee extract in the Evening News from the podcast!

Remember us when your famous mate 😉

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 03:13 PM
I wonder if he thought Hecky was one of those 9-5pm Managers he was on about?

matty_f
20-03-2020, 03:36 PM
What a brilliant listen. Great insight into the game in general as well as his time at Hibs in particular. All that and tremendously funny and entertaining.

Telling us about his goal for Livi at Tinycastle was hilarious.

My respect and admiration for Marv has grown even more. What a great professional and first class guy. Good to hear that he wants his first coaching job to be back at Hibs.

Well done guys.
Thanks - loved the goal chat!! Must have been some moment for him.

matty_f
20-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Remember us when your famous mate 😉

:faf:

matty_f
20-03-2020, 03:37 PM

I got the impression he thought highly of Hecky.

Frazerbob
20-03-2020, 03:53 PM
Remember how we used to hate how Lennon was constantly asked about Celtic? Wonder how Livi fans feel about Marv and his regular Hibs related interviews.

matty_f
20-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Remember how we used to hate how Lennon was constantly asked about Celtic? Wonder how Livi fans feel about Marv and his regular Hibs related interviews.

Good point! We did ask about Livi as well, though! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 04:17 PM
I got the impression he thought highly of Hecky.

Agree but he only played him six times

Looking back Big Marv looked as though he played whilst he was carrying an injury and it was he that organised his move to Livvy obviously feeling that his first team opportunities would be restricted at HIBS

hibsbollah
20-03-2020, 04:19 PM

Russell Slade his Orient boss I'm guessing.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2020, 04:21 PM
Russell Slade his Orient boss I'm guessing.

Yip

matty_f
20-03-2020, 04:25 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-marvin-bartley-speaks-stubbs-v-lennon-sunshine-leith-and-pride-playing-club-2503768

The 90+2
20-03-2020, 05:35 PM

The five of them are furious.

offshorehibby
21-03-2020, 09:38 AM
I've not got round to listening to podcast yet but will. An interesting bit in paper today. I knew the likes of Bartley, Gray Whittaker and McGregor were doing their badges but hadn't realised they were doing an Applied Football Management degree at Napier. Berra also doing it.

matty_f
21-03-2020, 10:28 AM
I've not got round to listening to podcast yet but will. An interesting bit in paper today. I knew the likes of Bartley, Gray Whittaker and McGregor were doing their badges but hadn't realised they were doing an Applied Football Management degree at Napier. Berra also doing it.

Which paper was that?

Marvin talks a bit about the course on the podcast.

offshorehibby
21-03-2020, 12:44 PM
Which paper was that?

Marvin talks a bit about the course on the podcast.

He has an article in today's sun but i can't find an online version yet

matty_f
21-03-2020, 01:37 PM
He has an article in today's sun but i can't find an online version yet

Nice one. :aok:

offshorehibby
21-03-2020, 02:21 PM
Nice one. :aok:

Halfway through podcast before I got dragged out the house. Keep the rest she's watching p**h on the telly later 😉

matty_f
21-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Halfway through podcast before I got dragged out the house. Keep the rest she's watching p**h on the telly later 😉

You'll be about to get to the Hibs stuff - he's excellent talking about his time here.

gogsy23
28-03-2020, 05:19 PM
What a great listen. He sounds like a very grounded individual. Would love a night out with him! Well done those involved. 👏👏👏🇳🇬

matty_f
28-03-2020, 10:53 PM
What a great listen. He sounds like a very grounded individual. Would love a night out with him! Well done those involved. 👏👏👏🇳🇬

Thanks gogsy!