PDA

View Full Version : Sky sports and Virgin Media

2belhaven
18-03-2020, 10:23 AM
With no live sports been shown for a considerable period has anyone established if Sky or Virgin customers can suspend subscriptions or otherwise ..
Heard from a friend Sky may be doing so if you phone them ??
Apologies if this has been covered previously but cant see a link.

BoomtownHibees
18-03-2020, 10:24 AM
With no live sports been shown for a considerable period has anyone established if Sky or Virgin customers can suspend subscriptions or otherwise ..
Heard from a friend Sky may be doing so if you phone them ??

Sky will suspend your Sky Sports channels if you phone in

BlackSheep
18-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Yes, I did it this morning, took the advisor a while to make the changes as by taking the sports pack off it made other packs jump up in price, so a few hurdles needed overcome to leave me with the same contract price minus the sport pack. This was with Sky, it took over an hour on the phone.

DH1875
18-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Yes, I did it this morning, took the advisor a while to make the changes as by taking the sports pack off it made other packs jump up in price, so a few hurdles needed overcome to leave me with the same contract price minus the sport pack. This was with Sky, it took over an hour on the phone.

I might be being a bit slow but that seems pointless to me. Your paying the same price as you were before? Why cancel them then, they'll be showing something on them.
* I've probably got it all wrong ad usual.

nonshinyfinish
18-03-2020, 10:44 AM
If you manage to claw some money back from Sky and you wouldn't miss it, people might consider donating it to a random lower league club that's going to be struggling financially (or to a food bank or any other worthy cause).

Wee bit of crowd-sourced wealth redistribution.

Callum_62
18-03-2020, 10:50 AM
I might be being a bit slow but that seems pointless to me. Your paying the same price as you were before? Why cancel them then, they'll be showing something on them.
* I've probably got it all wrong ad usual.Same price as before minus the sport pack cost

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

MikeyS
18-03-2020, 11:14 AM
If you manage to claw some money back from Sky and you wouldn't miss it, people might consider donating it to a random lower league club that's going to be struggling financially (or to a food bank or any other worthy cause).

Or alternatively give it to HSL.

Southernhibee
18-03-2020, 11:19 AM
I’ve tried to get through to them today but it just cuts off. It’s a real pain

Just_Jimmy
18-03-2020, 11:28 AM
I phoned this morning and the wait was over an hour. I left it but I'll try again in a day or so. I don't know why they don't just have something on the site you can put your details in and they process it. Everyone will be phoning for the same thing

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

greenlad
18-03-2020, 11:28 AM
BT only launched their new combined flexible BT Sport and Sky Sports packages 3 weeks ago but one of the selling points is that you can make one change per month with no penalty. So in 10 days time I'll be downsizing.

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2020, 11:37 AM
I phoned this morning and the wait was over an hour. I left it but I'll try again in a day or so. I don't know why they don't just have something on the site you can put your details in and they process it. Everyone will be phoning for the same thing

Presumably they’ll have a high %age of staff working from home over the next few months like everyone else so service is likely to be slower.

They might have to consider allowing customers to change/downsize/cancel their package online and then call the customer back to talk them out of it.

greenpaper55
18-03-2020, 11:38 AM
I wonder if this will have a knock on affect as the pubs and clubs will surely be asking for sky to be removed. What if sky has to reduce it's payment to the EPL then i would suggest this would not be a bad thing as it might reduce players wages to reasonable levels.

MikeyS
18-03-2020, 11:43 AM
I wonder if this will have a knock on affect as the pubs and clubs will surely be asking for sky to be removed. What if sky has to reduce it's payment to the EPL then i would suggest this would not be a bad thing as it might reduce players wages to reasonable levels.

I was listening to Talksport one day last week and the Luton (I think) chairman was on.

He was talking about teams in lower league toiling as the EFL didnt have huge reserves to help everyone out but mentioned the PL had 1 billion sat as reserve fund.

They will be fine for the foreseeable.

Waxy
18-03-2020, 11:52 AM
I can see closed doors games starting up in around a months time all on telly.

Jack
18-03-2020, 12:01 PM
With Sky and BT likely to lose 10s of thousands of subscribers they're going to put in the most inefficient system they can dream up to facilitate them all cancelling their contracts.

How long does it take to add a service?

brog
18-03-2020, 12:05 PM
With Sky and BT likely to lose 10s of thousands of subscribers they're going to put in the most inefficient system they can dream up to facilitate them all cancelling their contracts.

How long does it take to add a service?

This 100%. Virgin constantly call me trying to get me to take an enhanced package. Now they've disappeared!

MartinfaePorty
18-03-2020, 12:12 PM
It is ridiculous that they have a straightforward system to add to your package, but it's a nightmare to remove.

WhileTheChief..
18-03-2020, 12:13 PM

Eh? Donate to a club who will have an owner worth a hell of a lot more than me.

Mental.

There are no circumstances under which I would do that. I bet even you wouldn't.

HibbyAndy
18-03-2020, 12:21 PM
It is ridiculous that they have a straightforward system to add to your package, but it's a nightmare to remove.

:agree:

They aint daft

Sammy7nil
18-03-2020, 01:17 PM
Just tried Virgin and the line to customer service staff is not available !

auldhibby
18-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Am with Virgin , was waiting to see what would happen , waste of time, phoned Virgin yesterday and cancelled sky/bt/Premier sports reduced my monthly subscription by £50 and i got sky cinema added , took bout 15 mins , of course been with em for years so no contact to worry about.

Sir David Gray
18-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Pathetic that this isn't an automatic freeze. There's absolutely no live sport taking place anywhere in the world right now so to expect people to phone in before they get any right to cancel their Sports package is pretty ridiculous.

Moulin Yarns
18-03-2020, 04:16 PM
Pathetic that this isn't an automatic freeze. There's absolutely no live sport taking place anywhere in the world right now so to expect people to phone in before they get any right to cancel their Sports package is pretty ridiculous.

Face it, they are commercial businesses, it is up to the customer to cancel subscriptions.

Sir David Gray
18-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Face it, they are commercial businesses, it is up to the customer to cancel subscriptions.

If it's not going to be automatically cancel then there should be an option to do it online.

It's easy enough to add sports onto your package if you want to do that without having to phone up and cancel.

Golden Bear
18-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Just tried Virgin and the line to customer service staff is not available !

Same with Sky. I've posted a thread on the PM forum then noticed this one.

Craig_HFC
18-03-2020, 05:45 PM
This is from Sky's website:

"While we expect that many of the recently postponed sports events will eventually go ahead, if you wish to pause your sports subscription in the meantime you will not be charged a fee to do so or be held to any notice period.

Meanwhile we continue to provide high quality content across all of our 11 sports channels.

We are sorry that you are currently unable to pause your Sky Sports subscription online, however, in light of the circumstances we are working hard to introduce this in the coming days. Please check back online from Friday. In the meantime, please be aware that we have reduced resource in our call centre and we apologise if you are unable to get through to us on the phone."

BlackSheep
18-03-2020, 05:46 PM
* I've probably got it all wrong ad usual.

Lol, I wasn’t very clear on that was I... minus the cost of sports... so the exact position I wanted to be in.

Risboro Hibby
18-03-2020, 05:56 PM
I can see closed doors games starting up in around a months time all on telly.
Whilst football behind closed doors is pretty depressing. These are exceptional times. All our home matches on Hibs Tv season ticket holders get free viewing. Non season ticket holders and away fans pay to view. Likewise away games we can pay to view on the home club channel.Keeps some form of income coming into clubs.

Sir David Gray
18-03-2020, 05:58 PM
Suggestion on their website that there's going to be an option to cancel Sports online from Friday.

Borderhibbie76
18-03-2020, 06:37 PM
This is from Sky's website:

"While we expect that many of the recently postponed sports events will eventually go ahead, if you wish to pause your sports subscription in the meantime you will not be charged a fee to do so or be held to any notice period.

Meanwhile we continue to provide high quality content across all of our 11 sports channels.

We are sorry that you are currently unable to pause your Sky Sports subscription online, however, in light of the circumstances we are working hard to introduce this in the coming days. Please check back online from Friday. In the meantime, please be aware that we have reduced resource in our call centre and we apologise if you are unable to get through to us on the phone."

Thanks for this mate..will hold off trying to call them till Friday then

Sweet Left Peg
18-03-2020, 06:57 PM
I've been a sky customer for a few years and I always take the basic package, add the sports when I come home on leave if it's during the football season, then cancel it a month before I go back to sea. That way I'm not tied in to lengthy contracts for the time I'm not using the service. This won't work for everyone but it does for me in my circumstances. I've always found them to be easy to negotiate with when it comes round to renewing. A bit of haggling and they'll try hard to keep existing customers. I added BT Sports this month, which I don't normally do, on the morning of the last derby. I thought it would be worth the money seeing as there were some appealing CL and EL ties to be played as well. Sorry if I've jinxed things, people!

Squealing pig
18-03-2020, 08:14 PM
2 hours on hold yesterday so good luck to those phoning , be patient

EI255
18-03-2020, 08:26 PM
I personally hope Sky Sports fold during this. Their whole "machine" is all that is wrong with sport in the four countries.

This is the time for change.

Jim White's sphincter must be shot. He's a bit part presenter. A bellend of proper proportions.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

cammy1969
18-03-2020, 08:45 PM
I personally hope Sky Sports fold during this. Their whole "machine" is all that is wrong with sport in the four countries.

Jim White's sphincter must be shot. He's a bit part presenter. A bellend of proper proportions.

Agree m8 giving loyal customers nothing they should be giving free of charge or big reductions on sports channels until live sports are up and running again. Iptv is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

percy veer
19-03-2020, 04:01 AM
2 hours on hold yesterday so good luck to those phoning , be patient

Cancel your direct debit, they will soon call you

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2020, 04:59 AM

No it isn't because the channels are all still broadcasting. People will still be watching them, you can't just cancel someone's TV package

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2020, 05:02 AM

They'll lose a small, small fraction of income. Zero chance of folding. Sky also employ 30,000+ people. Would you like to see them jobless so you can get this big revolutionary change?

Amazon would just hoover up the rights and everyone would rush out to buy firesticks. Zero change would happen.

Sir David Gray
19-03-2020, 06:27 AM
No it isn't because the channels are all still broadcasting. People will still be watching them, you can't just cancel someone's TV package

On reflection I agree with that but making it so difficult for customers to cancel their subscription is really frustrating and almost cancels out any of the good they've done in offering this "goodwill gesture" in the first place.

Apparently they will be adding an online option to cancel your subscription from tomorrow, which is good so hopefully that works out.

Gloucester Hibs
19-03-2020, 06:47 AM
Took the missus 25 minutes yesterday on the blower to Sky. Sports package bumped for the foreseeable. We’re not on a contract so was straightforward.

calumhibee1
19-03-2020, 06:57 AM
On reflection I agree with that but making it so difficult for customers to cancel their subscription is really frustrating and almost cancels out any of the good they've done in offering this "goodwill gesture" in the first place.

Apparently they will be adding an online option to cancel your subscription from tomorrow, which is good so hopefully that works out.

I’m not sure they’ve made it that difficult.

They’ll be overwhelmed with phone calls and most likely hugely understaffed/skeleton staff. They’re adding an online option by Friday. It all seems quite reasonable to me?

InchHibby
19-03-2020, 07:24 AM

Simple answer to that is, they get the acclaim for saying what they’ll do but will make it as hard as hell for you to do and as some have said on here, when cancelling the sports everything else jumps up in price leaving you to argue only to get it back to the original contract price.

Numptie
19-03-2020, 08:53 AM
The Sky algorithm must be a nightmare for the call centre staff. I updated my contract recently and couldn’t take Sky Movies off the contract – as every contract was cheaper with Movies. I got rid of Sky Sports but had to keep Movies – so at least I’ve got something to watch now I’m home for the foreseeable future. Watched THE Scottish Cup Final yesterday on You Tube to keep my spirits up.

BoomtownHibees
19-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Online option should be live or will be soon to ‘Pause’ your Sports subscription, meaning you will still have access to the channels and recordings but not pay for them.

This will only be available for full Sports packs at the moment, not if you only have a single sports pack

MWHIBBIES
19-03-2020, 09:19 AM

Agree, simple online option for the packages like nowtv (aren't they owned by sky) have.

Sir David Gray
19-03-2020, 12:24 PM

They’ll be overwhelmed with phone calls and most likely hugely understaffed/skeleton staff. They’re adding an online option by Friday. It all seems quite reasonable to me?

In comparison to how easy it would be in the unlikely event that someone wanted to add Sports to their package then I definitely think it's difficult.

BlackSheep
19-03-2020, 01:14 PM
Online option should be live or will be soon to ‘Pause’ your Sports subscription, meaning you will still have access to the channels and recordings but not pay for them.

This will only be available for full Sports packs at the moment, not if you only have a single sports pack

Well that's a complete an utter pain in the butt!

I got my subscription 'paused' as per their own terms earlier this week, but within the hour the channels were all scrambled barring Sky Sports News.

I hope they will simply reactivate those channels for those who have already 'paused' as they are doing for those who 'pause' later this week.

On another point that's quite funny (probably a can of worms though) I have watched more BBC content over the past week or so than i have for a long long time. I used to work for the BBC so have never been against the TV Licence in principle, but I'm guessing there will be a lot of folk who like me have upped their content recently, if only for the News! Now those get to see where the money goes.

WhileTheChief..
19-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Agreed.

Some folk need to chill out a bit. Businesses up and down the land are having to make tough decisions, they might take a few days to do so.

Waiting on the phone for a bit seems like a ridiculous thing to be moaning about right now when a lot of folk are losing their jobs or not getting paid.

BoomtownHibees
19-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Well that's a complete an utter pain in the butt!

Can never make everyone happy it seems

matty_f
19-03-2020, 02:26 PM

Exactly.

Sky are being hit like any other business just now, their call centre staff and other workers will be facing into the same uncertainties as the rest of us, people needing to be at home etc instead of at work.

They're not immune to it - just because they're a big company doesn't mean they can easily work around the situation, folk need to take a step back from their own situation and realise that businesses are doing the best they can to cope with a rapidly evolving emergency here.

BlackSheep
19-03-2020, 06:19 PM
Can never make everyone happy it seems

Having read the email I received from Sky earlier it doesn’t sound like they will be allowing customers who have ‘paused’ their subscription to keep watching.

As another poster has said they are still broadcasting, just no live sporting content. I paused my subscription for 2 reasons, I don’t really watch the sports channels other than to watch live games and secondly to reduce my outgoings during this time.

What I will point out though is that no customer should be treated differently than any other in the same situation, so if Sky do allow some customers to keep using their sporting service during the ‘pause’ and others not then I’ll certainly fight for my right to be annoyed by this.

brocherbob
19-03-2020, 09:24 PM
You can now pause sky sports online.

Sir David Gray
19-03-2020, 09:41 PM
You can now pause sky sports online.

I'm still getting the same message about being unable to do it online but check back tomorrow 20th March. :confused:.

lord bunberry
20-03-2020, 05:36 AM
I'm still getting the same message about being unable to do it online but check back tomorrow 20th March. :confused:.
https://www.sky.com/shop/covid19-customer-update?irct=msa (https://www.sky.com/shop/covid19-customer-update?irct=msa-hero)

Phil MaGlass
20-03-2020, 05:43 AM
Agree m8 giving loyal customers nothing they should be giving free of charge or big reductions on sports channels until live sports are up and running again. Iptv is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have IPTV in my apartment in Spain, but I had someone else set it up, in June I have to pay my subscription, Im not very savvy when it comes to stuff like this, but, (this is probably a stupid question) is it easy to install and set up myself without having to pay a subscription, or is it easier just to pay it?

Sir David Gray
20-03-2020, 07:06 AM
https://www.sky.com/shop/covid19-customer-update?irct=msa (https://www.sky.com/shop/covid19-customer-update?irct=msa-hero)

Cheers that's worked now. :aok:

I really hope that there's not going to be any nasty surprises with the cost of Sky Sports once this is all over and that it is purely a genuine goodwill gesture to help customers during this crisis.

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Cheers that's worked now. :aok:

I really hope that there's not going to be any nasty surprises with the cost of Sky Sports once this is all over and that it is purely a genuine goodwill gesture to help customers during this crisis.

I think it’s a PR thing. I got an email yesterday giving free skygo extra and highlighting the new channels and apps they’re going to be making available.

Jack
20-03-2020, 07:44 AM
I have IPTV in my apartment in Spain, but I had someone else set it up, in June I have to pay my subscription, Im not very savvy when it comes to stuff like this, but, (this is probably a stupid question) is it easy to install and set up myself without having to pay a subscription, or is it easier just to pay it?

Easy to install but I'd imagine you'll need a username and password to view anything beyond the first screen.

If you have the same platform over here, like a firestick, you should be able to get the same service in the UK.

jeffers
20-03-2020, 08:02 AM
I'd like to see BT Sports do a similar thing with regarding suspending their service. I'd cancel now, but pretty sure I am tied into a contract.

Sir David Gray
20-03-2020, 08:16 AM
I think it’s a PR thing. I got an email yesterday giving free skygo extra and highlighting the new channels and apps they’re going to be making available.

Yeah I'm sure it is. Sky won't do very much out of the goodness of their heart.

I've just asked this question on the PM board but I wonder what live sport we need to see returning before they decide to resume subscriptions? Is it the pool and the netball or will they wait until the Premier League is back before they start charging people again?

Phil MaGlass
20-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Easy to install but I'd imagine you'll need a username and password to view anything beyond the first screen.

If you have the same platform over here, like a firestick, you should be able to get the same service in the UK.

Onion
20-03-2020, 10:56 AM
I'd like to see BT Sports do a similar thing with regarding suspending their service. I'd cancel now, but pretty sure I am tied into a contract.

Virtually impossible for them to hold anyone to their contract should they choose to stop their subscription. Their advertising and proposition was all about delivering live sport incl CL, Europe etc which they are unable to do. And you can be sure they'd not want that tested in court, as it would open the floodgates when they lost.

green with envy
20-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Just off the phone to Sky and it It took me around 5 minutes to postpone my SS. This has been done automatically till at least end of May.

KeithTheHibby
20-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Virgin doing **** all at the moment regarding their subscriptions.
Anyone asking about it on Twitter is basically being ignored.

jeffers
20-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Virtually impossible for them to hold anyone to their contract should they choose to stop their subscription. Their advertising and proposition was all about delivering live sport incl CL, Europe etc which they are unable to do. And you can be sure they'd not want that tested in court, as it would open the floodgates when they lost.

Yes you are probably spot on, wish they'd make it easy to do like Sky have.

Since90+2
20-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Virgin will have to pay Sky for Sky Sports whereas Sky obviously don't. I'd assume they will be in discussions with Sky about this but the cynic in me thinks Sky won't be looking to do their biggest competitor a favour.

I have Virgin with Sky sports and BT btw.

Crab apple
20-03-2020, 02:09 PM

Virgin been pissing me about for about a week now. Call centre handler says a week ago she has removed Skysports. Email arrives today saying still there. After a lengthy wait I got through to customer services today who offered a three month discount equivalent to Skysports fee.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Suspending Sky Sports online was really easy. Changes reflected on billing and displayed on the app immediately.

Well done to Sky in what is really tough times.

Wee Scottie Dug
20-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Suspending Sky Sports online was really easy. Changes reflected on billing and displayed on the app immediately.

Me too.... just a little delay in response time and it was pretty painless .... £42 off next bill and £21 off the one after .... nice one Sky ..... changes seem to imply that the channels will be free in the meantime, though there is not a lot worth watching at the moment 🍺

jeffers
20-03-2020, 03:32 PM
BT Sport getting slated in the press for not offering anything similar to Sky and getting through to them (unsurprisingly) very difficult. I'm tempted just to cancel my DD.

Joe6-2
20-03-2020, 04:00 PM
Anyone else getting a ‘technical difficulties’ message on Sky?

j'adorehibs
20-03-2020, 04:46 PM

Agreed, took me 60's in app

Just Alf
20-03-2020, 05:08 PM
BT Sport getting slated in the press for not offering anything similar to Sky and getting through to them (unsurprisingly) very difficult. I'm tempted just to cancel my DD.

Got an e-mail from BT linking to this... seems to indicate a bit of flexibility, I've no longer got BTTV so can't say how flexible it actually is....

https://www.bt.com/coronavirus

We’re keeping you connected

We’re doing everything we can to balance your most urgent needs with the wellbeing of our people. Our priority is to help our vulnerable customers and those who are in most need, which means the wait time to speak to us may be a little longer than usual – particularly as we’re getting more calls than normal.

Remember, you can log in to My BT at www.bt.com/mybt or download the My BT app to manage and pay your bills, manage your products, check your usage and much more.

If you want help and advice about your BT products and services, you can also visit our help pages at www.bt.com/help or the BT Community forum at https://community.bt.com/. They’re available 24 hours a day, so you can ask questions and find answers when you need them without having to call.

Our shops around the UK currently remain open and we’ve got our teams on the phone ready to help you. We can also help you with any concerns about your BT bill due to the virus.

We’ll help you with costs

We’re removing all caps on all of our broadband packages so every customer has unlimited data during this time.

For our BT landline-only customers we will cap the charges of calls to all UK landlines and mobiles to £5 a month, so they can make the calls they need to without worrying about their bill. (This doesn’t include international calls and premium calls).

We’ve also made all visits to the NHS online free, so you won’t use any data while accessing information (even if you’ve already run out completely). And as always, calling 111 is free.

We’ll keep the UK connected

At this very busy time, we’re constantly monitoring our broadband network and doing everything we can to continue to support and provide a brilliant service to you and the critical services we enable. We have built in more than 10 times the capacity needed for everyday use, so have more than enough even with the massive increase in working from home that we’re seeing right now.

We can also support the extra calls that people will make to keep in touch with friends, family and colleagues. We’re monitoring our network closely so if data usage does increase, we’ll handle that, too.

We’ll do our best to keep you entertained

We know being stuck at home can be hard, especially with kids. With our flexible BT TV packages, you can add and remove packages like SKY channels on NOW TV, every month.

Hibeesmad
20-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Sky Sports package suspended also, just a 2 minute wait on the computer then one or two clicks to suspend it.

hibee_girl
20-03-2020, 05:16 PM
BT Sport are doing a Scottish football extra with all the presenters at home right now

Sir David Gray
20-03-2020, 05:18 PM
Anyone else getting a ‘technical difficulties’ message on Sky?

I was, even after people had said they had managed to cancel it online. Just keep trying as it definitely does work now.

Joe6-2
20-03-2020, 06:35 PM
I was, even after people had said they had managed to cancel it online. Just keep trying as it definitely does work now.

Got it now, cheers SDG

BlackSheep
21-03-2020, 08:54 AM
So I am on hold with Sky now, the agent i dealt with CANCELLED my sky sports instead of pausing it... so i am not getting any channels and no recordings as per the T&Cs of the Covid19 pause offer....

This is the pain in the butt i was describing earlier in the thread....

40 mins so far this morning trying to rectify this.

Update: After faffing about for 15 mins i am now being transferred to another team to help with this. FML.

BoomtownHibees
21-03-2020, 09:10 AM
So I am on hold with Sky now, the agent i dealt with CANCELLED my sky sports instead of pausing it... so i am not getting any channels and no recordings as per the T&Cs of the Covid19 pause offer....

Update: After faffing about for 15 mins i am now being transferred to another team to help with this. FML.

It was cancelled because that’s the only option that was available at the time. There is now the option to actually ‘Pause’ it, effectively giving you it free until this is all resolved.

Now that you have called again you should be able to have it added and then paused again this way.

I get the “pain in the butt” point however just remember that this is all new as well, the call centres are running at a highly reduced capacity and I would say it’s Sky who are leading the way in actually doing stuff for their customers.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2020, 09:11 AM

Surely they know that the offer they have on just now to pause the subscription is different from cancelling it.

I don't know why you've stopped getting the channels right away if they did cancel them though. You normally need to give a month's notice to cancel a package.

BlackSheep
21-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Surely they know that the offer they have on just now to pause the subscription is different from cancelling it.

I don't know why you've stopped getting the channels right away if they did cancel them though. You normally need to give a month's notice to cancel a package.

You would imagine, but the advisor i dealt with earlier this week didn't sound like she knew about the pause situation and took a while to get it all done for me... now i know why!!!

BoomtownHibees
21-03-2020, 09:22 AM

They agreed to do immediate cancellations rather than the normal notice periods, hence why the channels were removed straight away. As I said in an earlier post, the only option earlier in the week was an actual cancellation, whereas now they can “pause” it

Sir David Gray
21-03-2020, 09:26 AM
They agreed to do immediate cancellations rather than the normal notice periods, hence why the channels were removed straight away. As I said in an earlier post, the only option earlier in the week was an actual cancellation, whereas now they can “pause” it

I took from the other poster's post that they had phoned up to cancel today. If that's not the case then I understand now what's happened.

BoomtownHibees
21-03-2020, 09:30 AM
I took from the other poster's post that they had phoned up to cancel today. If that's not the case then I understand now what's happened.

No, I think they phoned earlier in the week and are now phoning to get the newer option of ‘pausing’ the subscription rather than it being cancelled

BlackSheep
21-03-2020, 09:52 AM
No, I think they phoned earlier in the week and are now phoning to get the newer option of ‘pausing’ the subscription rather than it being cancelled

I called on day 1 when they offered the pause option, at that time it wasn’t available online... this advisor i spoke to this morning told me the advisor in the first place had cancelled and not paused. They had to put me back on hold with the correct team... I gave up at 90 mins on hold.

I’ve given up trying to rectify this. I’ll deal with it when Sport comes back.

Bigger things going on just now.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2020, 09:59 AM
I called on day 1 when they offered the pause option, at that time it wasn’t available online... this advisor i spoke to this morning told me the advisor in the first place had cancelled and not paused. They had to put me back on hold with the correct team... I gave up at 90 mins on hold.

I’ve given up trying to rectify this. I’ll deal with it when Sport comes back.

Bigger things going on just now.

Thanks for clarifying so you did contact them after they had announced the pause offer.

You're really not missing out on much.

BoomtownHibees
21-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Thanks for clarifying so you did contact them after they had announced the pause offer.

You're really not missing out on much.

The pause offer at that time was simply an immediate cancellation, no notice period etc. The wording at that time probably could have been better. The actual pause option that is available now only came later in the week

BlackSheep
21-03-2020, 10:45 AM
The pause offer at that time was simply an immediate cancellation, no notice period etc. The wording at that time probably could have been better. The actual pause option that is available now only came later in the week

Yeah I realise this... at the end of the day I’m still getting Sky Sports News and that’s about the only channel worth watching right now (at a push).

As long as when the madness clears they reinstate my sport subscription at the same cost as it was before I’ll be satisfied.

Joe6-2
21-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Yeah I realise this... at the end of the day I’m still getting Sky Sports News and that’s about the only channel worth watching right now (at a push).

As long as when the madness clears they reinstate my sport subscription at the same cost as it was before I’ll be satisfied.

I had to phone to pause mine as it’s added to cinema, to pause sport they had to delete movies, then add it on again on a new contract as it’s discounted ( a new 18 month contract, the chancing bassas!)

Onion
21-03-2020, 11:17 AM
We've got an annual pass with Now TV (Sky Sports) with 3 months left on it. They won't pause the service and all they are offering is a 1 month pass.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2020, 11:44 AM
I had to phone to pause mine as it’s added to cinema, to pause sport they had to delete movies, then add it on again on a new contract as it’s discounted ( a new 18 month contract, the chancing bassas!)

I thought cinema and sports were completely separate packages? :confused:

ZAGREB RED
21-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Did this online, a message came up to say it was all done, anyone get a confirmation email or text ?
Seems a bit strange that they are willing to take the hit, a couple of weeks ago I think both Sky and BT Sport were adamant they wouldn’t do anything like this, so good on them.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Did this online, a message came up to say it was all done, anyone get a confirmation email or text ?
Seems a bit strange that they are willing to take the hit, a couple of weeks ago I think both Sky and BT Sport were adamant they wouldn’t do anything like this, so good on them.

No email or text except for the confirmation message after it was completed. If you check your future bills then it should show up.

ZAGREB RED
21-03-2020, 01:03 PM
No email or text except for the confirmation message after it was completed. If you check your future bills then it should show up.

Thanks, just checked on My Sky, all sorted.

Joe6-2
21-03-2020, 01:41 PM
I thought cinema and sports were completely separate packages? :confused:

So did I, but wouldn’t let me do it online.
I don’t know if it was to do with the discount I’d got when last renewing

Radge70
24-03-2020, 11:23 PM
If you skip to "Sky Sports customers can now 'pause' their subscription" in this article from money saving expert then you will see the current position from Virgin and BT: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/

Buc
25-03-2020, 01:07 PM
If you skip to "Sky Sports customers can now 'pause' their subscription" in this article from money saving expert then you will see the current position from Virgin and BT: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/uk-coronavirus-help-and-your-rights/

Thanks for that👍

Radge70
25-03-2020, 05:53 PM
Thanks for that👍
Apparently virgin has a pause button online now

Eyrie
25-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Apparently virgin has a pause button online now

It's the first FAQ
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/coronavirus-update

Very easy - all you need is your most recent bill as it'll have your account and area numbers.

hibee_girl
31-03-2020, 01:00 PM
BT Sport now offering a months credit or you can donate it to the NHS

https://sport.bt.com/

jgl07
31-03-2020, 01:19 PM
I get BT Sport included in the Virgin TV package I am on. I thought about putting a hold on Sky Sports but it seems a drag and I do watch a lot of their archived material. Especially with working at home for the forseeable future.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2020, 01:21 PM
I get BT Sport included in the Virgin TV package I am on. I thought about putting a hold on Sky Sports but it seems a drag and I do watch a lot of their archived material. Especially with working at home for the forseeable future.

Putting it on hold does not remove the channels, just the cost of them, you can still view all.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-03-2020, 01:21 PM

My payments are paused with Virgin, you still get access to the channels.

BobMilne
31-03-2020, 01:33 PM
My payments are paused with Virgin, you still get access to the channels.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/thinking-of-leaving/talk-to-us

Like for virgin media users to pause sports

Sir David Gray
28-05-2020, 07:09 PM
I think I know the answer to this already but I wonder if Sky will be charging full price for their sports package again from 17th June, even although almost 40% of the Premier League matches they're going to be broadcasting for the rest of the season will be shown free to non sports subscribers and no other major sports that Sky have rights to are making any kind of return.

Juniper Greens
28-05-2020, 07:19 PM
I think I know the answer to this already but I wonder if Sky will be charging full price for their sports package again from 17th June, even although almost 40% of the Premier League matches they're going to be broadcasting for the rest of the season will be shown free to non sports subscribers and no other major sports that Sky have rights to are making any kind of return.

Why wouldn't they? They are showing the amount of matches they normally would behind the paywall

BoomtownHibees
28-05-2020, 10:13 PM

They are charging full price

Sir David Gray
28-05-2020, 10:46 PM
Why wouldn't they? They are showing the amount of matches they normally would behind the paywall

There's no other live sports being broadcast at the moment. Your full subscription fee, whilst heavily weighted towards the English Premier League, also covers Sky's coverage of the other English leagues, the Scottish Premiership, golf, Formula 1, cricket, darts, boxing, rugby, basketball, american football etc etc.

As far as I'm aware nothing apart from the English Premier League is returning any time soon.

They are charging full price

I knew they would be, it was more a rhetorical question.

lord bunberry
28-05-2020, 11:09 PM
My bill only went down by £7 with their suspension of the sports package. They have all sorts of discounts if you take certain packages that become null and void when you suspend the sports package. When this is all over I’m dropping to the minimum package with broadband and going with the iptv. Their discount turned out to be a lie so they can go and **** themselves.

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2020, 11:16 PM
My bill only went down by £7 with their suspension of the sports package. They have all sorts of discounts if you take certain packages that become null and void when you suspend the sports package. When this is all over I’m dropping to the minimum package with broadband and going with the iptv. Their discount turned out to be a lie so they can go and **** themselves.

Mine dropped £36 with Virgin.

BoomtownHibees
28-05-2020, 11:42 PM
There's no other live sports being broadcast at the moment. Your full subscription fee, whilst heavily weighted towards the English Premier League, also covers Sky's coverage of the other English leagues, the Scottish Premiership, golf, Formula 1, cricket, darts, boxing, rugby, basketball, american football etc etc.

As far as I'm aware nothing apart from the English Premier League is returning any time soon.

I knew they would be, it was more a rhetorical question.

EFL rumoured to start shortly after Prem. Golf restarting, rugby restarting, F1 starting in July

Sir David Gray
28-05-2020, 11:49 PM

Strange.

It's quite hard to tell with mine as I was coming to the end of an offer period but I definitely saved more than that. More like £20 odd.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2020, 11:59 PM
EFL rumoured to start shortly after Prem. Golf restarting, rugby restarting, F1 starting in July

That may be the case but that probably won't happen until July which is why I'm querying a full price sports subscription for June when only the English Premier League will be shown on Sky Sports?

HibeeDave
29-05-2020, 05:53 AM

I saved over £30 a month with my Sky package

supermcginn
29-05-2020, 07:36 AM
That may be the case but that probably won't happen until July which is why I'm querying a full price sports subscription for June when only the English Premier League will be shown on Sky Sports?
Pga tour resumes a week on Thursday.

BoomtownHibees
29-05-2020, 07:39 AM

The charges will start from 19th June which will cover from that date until 18th July so will include the returning live sports.

Plus, as mentioned above, some live action is starting earlier than July such as the PGA

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 07:43 AM
The charges will start from 19th June which will cover from that date until 18th July so will include the returning live sports.

Plus, as mentioned above, some live action is starting earlier than July such as the PGA

Yes but you'll be paying for a full 30 days of sport when, as far as the ones starting in July are concerned, they've only been available to watch for 18 days of that period.

The only thing you've got during that period is a single league from a single sport.

EDIT - OK I see golf will begin on 11th June. I still don't believe that merits a return to a full price subscription.

Gloucester Hibs
29-05-2020, 07:49 AM
As all EPL games will be screened (I think?) will Sky/BT show the lot or will the games which they wouldn’t normally be showing now be on free to air outlets? I heard an argument for this being it would discourage big groups congregating at Joe Bloggs house with the sky subscription 🤔

BoomtownHibees
29-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Yes but you'll be paying for a full 30 days of sport when, as far as the ones starting in July are concerned, they've only been available to watch for 18 days of that period.

The only thing you've got during that period is a single league from a single sport.

EDIT - OK I see golf will begin on 11th June. I still don't believe that merits a return to a full price subscription.

You don’t need to have it if you don’t think it’s fair.

The original point of the “pause” was to allow customers to keep the channel, still with a lot of content (just not live), without paying and charges would restart once live sport returned and this is exactly what they are doing.

1 8 7 5
29-05-2020, 08:02 AM

The original point of the “pause” was to allow customers to keep the channel, still with a lot of content (just not live), without paying and charges would restart once live sport returned and this is exactly what they are doing.

I think SDG is only stating that they feel its only fair to pay a 100% premium when they get back 100% of the content! Not really difficult.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 08:06 AM

Whilst welcome, they could hardly charge people for watching "the home of live sport" when there was no live sport to watch.

I have no problem with them starting to charge again but it should be proportional to the amount of live sport that they're showing just now, compared with what they were showing pre-lockdown.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 08:07 AM
I think SDG is only stating that they feel its only fair to pay a 100% premium when they get back 100% of the content! Not really difficult.

Thank you.

BoomtownHibees
29-05-2020, 08:11 AM

Nobody said it was difficult 🤷🏻*♂️

BoomtownHibees
29-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Whilst welcome, they could hardly charge people for watching "the home of live sport" when there was no live sport to watch.

I have no problem with them starting to charge again but it should be proportional to the amount of live sport that they're showing just now, compared with what they were showing pre-lockdown.

And that viewpoint is fine. There are options however. Either have it and pay for it or don’t have it.

hibee_girl
29-05-2020, 06:23 PM
I’ve had an email from BT Sport saying it’ll be a 50% charge in June

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 06:57 PM
I’ve had an email from BT Sport saying it’ll be a 50% charge in June

Sky will be about that as well in June as they're only charging the sports package again from 19th June and I imagine that's when BT will start too.

Like Sky, I'm sure they'll still be charging full price from that date though.

Eyrie
29-05-2020, 06:57 PM
My Virgin bill has the same discount as last month, which suits me even though I'll be watching the NZ rugby when it starts.