PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gordon

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2020, 11:15 AM
I bet he wishes he'd never bought us now.

His plans for the club that were revealed at the agm have been scuppered at the first hurdle, not just us but every club worldwide will feel the pinch, some more than others.

We start off in a better place than most in Scotland, but these are worrying times financially for us all.

I wonder what the future holds? :confused:

Lago
15-03-2020, 11:34 AM
We're doomed 😭

hibeerealist
15-03-2020, 11:37 AM

His plans for the club that were revealed at the agm have been scuppered at the first hurdle, not just us but every club worldwide will feel the pinch, some more than others.

We start off in a better place than most in Scotland, but these are worrying times financially for us all.

I was thinking about this earlier BH, Ron set out his plans before this mess came down the pipe and he cannot be slated if the timing/figures slip back a bit as the Virus is in control for now.

calumhibee1
15-03-2020, 11:44 AM
With no games for a month or so at least I fully expect the screen and ribbons to be installed within the next couple of weeks. :agree:

If not then Petrie out.

Keith_M
15-03-2020, 11:46 AM

I presume he bought Hibs for the long term.

Contrary to popular opinion, it's not actually the end of the world.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 12:11 PM
I presume he bought Hibs for the long term.

Contrary to popular opinion, it's not actually the end of the world.

It will be for millions of people.

Keith_M
15-03-2020, 12:12 PM
It will be for millions of people.

Millions?

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Millions?

Yes. I think Millions world wide will die from this.

scooby
15-03-2020, 12:39 PM

I get that you are scared, but that my friend is absolute nonsense. This virus has an average mortality rate worldwide of less than 1%.
Just to put this in context, approx 4600 deaths have been attributed to the virus out of a world population of 7.8 billion.
Regular influenza will still kill more people worldwide.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 12:40 PM
I get that you are scared, but that my friend is absolute nonsense. This virus has an average mortality rate worldwide of less than 1%.
Just to put this in context, approx 4600 deaths have been attributed to the virus out of a world population of 7.8 billion.

I hope you're right.

eezyrider
15-03-2020, 12:48 PM

And yet 3-4% of those that get it die.

EZ

cocteautwin
15-03-2020, 12:50 PM
The biggest potential problem for Hibs is what security has been granted further down the chain of ownership over Ron Gordon’s assets in the event of one of his businesses going under.

There’s going to be a large number of companies going bankrupt because of this situation. It’s the worst global economic catastrophe in 80 years. I don’t think people fully realise this yet.

Since90+2
15-03-2020, 12:57 PM

EZ

The mortality rate won't be as high as that IMO.

The WHO have said the case fatality rate of known cases is 3.4% but that is on the basis of confirmed cases. It would only be as high as that if literally every single person who has this has been diagnosed which is obviously impossible. There will be lots of people who either don't have symptoms or have such mild symptoms they are not tested.

CapitalGreen
15-03-2020, 12:57 PM
The biggest potential problem for Hibs is what security has been granted further down the chain of ownership over Ron Gordon’s assets in the event of one of his businesses going under.

There’s going to be a large number of companies going bankrupt because of this situation. It’s the worst global economic catastrophe in 80 years. I don’t think people fully realise this yet.

Does he actually own any other companies anymore? I’m not sure he does.

eezyrider
15-03-2020, 01:05 PM
The mortality rate won't be as high as that IMO.

The WHO have said the case fatality rate of known cases is 3.4% but that is on the basis of confirmed cases. It would only be as high as that if literally every single person who has this has been diagnosed which is obviously impossible. There will be lots of people who either don't have symptoms or have such mild symptoms they are not tested.

Research so far indicates that the current figures are an accurate reflection. It's early days though and the situation is constantly changing.
Getting a clear picture is also not helped by countries like Iran suppressing what apparently is becoming a very serious situation.

EZ

DH1875
15-03-2020, 01:06 PM
What if he gets it, then what happens?

BoomtownHibees
15-03-2020, 01:09 PM
What if he gets it, then what happens?

He self isolates for 2 weeks then will be fine. Probably

BILLYHIBS
15-03-2020, 01:16 PM
I have asked myself the same question many times if Ron Gordon ever regrets taking over HIBS?

I have no doubt whatsoever he is a good egg and is in it for the long haul he has HIBS best interests at heart we will get through this and I am convinced we will come out the other end just fine and hopefully stronger than before

Strap yourselves in it is going to be a bumpy ride

DH1875
15-03-2020, 01:18 PM
He self isolates for 2 weeks then will be fine. Probably

And if he isn't? What age is he?

Ozyhibby
15-03-2020, 01:22 PM
So long as season starts on time next August then Hibs won’t be hit that badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibeerealist
15-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Governments around the world don't seem to be treating as per your example do they? IF it was less of a killer than the flu then why are countries on lock down, virtually all sports suspended etc, there is no precedent but it appears that this virus COULD well result in millions of deaths.

BoomtownHibees
15-03-2020, 01:37 PM
And if he isn't? What age is he?

Lunatic
15-03-2020, 01:45 PM
3.5% death rate in China. That's because they built hospitals with 500 respirators in a few weeks.
Italy is 7%. They don't have as many respirators, nor the resources to build them.
The reason they're trying so hard, to contain the spread, is that once all the ventilators and ECMO machines (for really bad cases) are taken, the death rate sky rockets.

The 90+2
15-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Let’s hope/pray people like Ron Gordon, Sir Tom and Rod Petrie all stay fit and healthy along with our loved ones/most vulnerable.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Just so long as this doesn't turn into a long term situation, for example into December, we should be fine. All of the projects announced at the AGM like big screens, ribbons round the pitch and even an indoor training facility can all take a back seat if the money set aside for them turns out to be needed to finance the club on a day to day basis ..... unless of course we are already committed to purchasing the screen and ribbons, which at this stage is eminently possible I suppose.

I doubt RG will be panicking just yet, annoyance at his plans being hampered somewhat notwithstanding of course. As for other clubs, I'm willing to bet a lot of them wish they were in our position financially.

The 90+2
15-03-2020, 01:48 PM
3.5% death rate in China. That's because they built hospitals with 500 respirators in a few weeks.
Italy is 7%. They don't have as many respirators, nor the resources to build them.
The reason they're trying so hard, to contain the spread, is that once all the ventilators and ECMO machines (for really bad cases) are taken, the death rate sky rockets.

I’m not sure how there can be any clear estimate of anything if millions are being told to self isolate without being tested? Are the governments just taking a guess of how many untested will actually have it or what?

Sudds_1
15-03-2020, 01:56 PM

This. Asian flu tonamebut one ( and SARS) claimed many more and we didnt have the hysteria we're seeing now in certain areas. Less than 1 % death rate globally...most if not all already very ill...89%
will experience a mild to bad cold...10% a wee bit more ill but are survivors. ...

The 90+2
15-03-2020, 01:57 PM
This. Asian flu tonamebut one ( and SARS) claimed many more and we didnt have the hysteria we're seeing now in certain areas. Less than 1 % death rate globally...most if not all already very ill...89%
will experience a mild to bad cold...10% a wee bit more ill but are survivors. ...

We are nowhere near the middle even of how bad it’s predicted to get.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Where did those figures come from?

Sudds_1
15-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Where did those figures come from?

Bbc 1 bulletin a day ago.....

Hibs90
15-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Amazing how many scientists we have on this thread.

CMurdoch
15-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Just so long as this doesn't turn into a long term situation, for example into December, we should be fine. All of the projects announced at the AGM like big screens, ribbons round the pitch and even an indoor training facility can all take a back seat if the money set aside for them turns out to be needed to finance the club on a day to day basis ..... unless of course we are already committed to purchasing the screen and ribbons, which at this stage is eminently possible I suppose.

I doubt RG will be panicking just yet, annoyance at his plans being hampered somewhat notwithstanding of course. As for other clubs, I'm willing to bet a lot of them wish they were in our position financially.

Celtic, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will be fine
Rangers will be fine if and when they get their big wedge for this seasons European competition success.
Motherwell will probably be okay.

Inverness could be in big trouble.
What about the rest?

Tobias Funke
15-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Over 3,200 people have succumbed in China in a population of over 1.3 billion. The number of daily reported cases has dropped to 20, 10 deaths yesterday.

To say millions will die from this virus is ridiculous.

The 90+2
15-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Celtic, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will be fine
Rangers will be fine if and when they get their big wedge for this seasons European competition success.
Motherwell will probably be okay.

Inverness could be in big trouble.
What about the rest?

Rangers won’t be fine if they void the league/Europe. It’s why they are keeping shut while their support demand it be voided. No massive European payment nor the idea of two champions league places soon because of a voided co-officiant points gathering for the voided European season. They will be hoping that the season just stops as it is and prize money is handed out among the remaining sides in European competition.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Rangers won’t be fine if they void the league/Europe. It’s why they are keeping shut while their support demand it be voided. No massive European payment nor the idea of two champions league places soon because of a voided co-officiant points gathering for the voided European season. They will be hoping that the season just stops as it is and prize money is handed out among the remaining sides in European competition.

This isn't a case of what happens tae the Rangurz ... their survival or not will be a moot point if they don't have a league to play in at all. Such a scenario is a long way off for sure, but its not outwith the bounds of possibility that if the worst was to happen and sporting fixtures remain cancelled for long enough we could end up losing clubs .... what sort of a league would we have if we lost 5 or 6 full time clubs and a pile of part time ones?

The SFA has no money, the SPFL has no money and with airlines already bitching about bailouts where would Hamilton, ICT or Motherwell be in the pecking order for a state funded rescue package?

Speedway
15-03-2020, 03:01 PM
People who are self made millionaires, multi-millionaires or billionaires are rarely also known for being panic merchants.

Ron will be very well versed in contingency planning and while far from ideal, I doubt he will regret buying Hibs given that the purchase was such a small percentage of the man’s net worth.

matty_f
15-03-2020, 03:36 PM

That's only a problem if we borrow from him.

We haven't borrowed anything as yet, though you'd have to think it's likely to see us through this period.

Ultimately this might prove to be a real opportunity for Hibs. We're well positioned to ride out the storm and so it should mean when we come out the other side of it we're in a better position than many of our competitors.

Factor in the potential for the season ending now and we could actually get ahead of the game with some of the improvements.

Lunatic
15-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Anyway, this is likely to benefit Hibs overall.
Teams that are really stretching themselves financially will be hit FAR harder than teams like Hibs, who are debt free and haven't overspent on a bunch of ***** who're going to get relegated and a manager who's looking for any way out.
Not looking at anyone in Particular
of course.

Keith_M
15-03-2020, 03:48 PM

EZ

I believe it's a fairly high percentage, in comparison to the like of flu, but it's too early to say what the genuine percentage of deaths per infected person is.

For instance, Italy is regularly announcing the numbers of those that have died, but stopped recording new cases.

The USA is woefully inadequate in regards to number of infections/deaths, as they don't even have the ability to test people.

Shrekko
15-03-2020, 03:50 PM
Over 3,200 people have succumbed in China in a population of over 1.3 billion. The number of daily reported cases has dropped to 20, 10 deaths yesterday.

I think it would be fairer to say that China have probably shown the rest of the world that there doesn’t have to be millions of deaths. Hopefully that will be the case.

CentreLine
15-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Let’s hope/pray people like Ron Gordon, Sir Tom and Rod Petrie all stay fit and healthy along with our loved ones/most vulnerable.

Saw STF at the Garden Centre this afternoon, enjoying tea and cake or something similar. He looks old but not unwell

CentreLine
15-03-2020, 03:59 PM
Amazing how many scientists we have on this thread.

I suppose the spread of people that access this thread simply reflects society. There are people from all walks of life on this thread but they may choose to keep their day to day life out of their enjoyment of football forum debate

CentreLine
15-03-2020, 04:06 PM

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 04:11 PM
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That looks awfully like 7% fatality to me.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2020, 04:15 PM
That looks awfully like 7% fatality to me.

6087 deaths to 163 592 confirmed cases is 3.7%

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 04:19 PM
6087 deaths to 163 592 confirmed cases is 3.7%

There are still 84000+ unresolved cases in that overall number. And 7% of them are critical.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Anyway, this is likely to benefit Hibs overall.
Teams that are really stretching themselves financially will be hit FAR harder than teams like Hibs, who are debt free and haven't overspent on a bunch of ***** who're going to get relegated and a manager who's looking for any way out.
Not looking at anyone in Particular
of course.

You’d hope so wouldn’t you. However in Hearts (not this season), Livi, Motherwell appear to be until now unperturbed by previous misdemeanours.

emerald green
15-03-2020, 04:37 PM
I believe it's a fairly high percentage, in comparison to the like of flu, but it's too early to say what the genuine percentage of deaths per infected person is.

For instance, Italy is regularly announcing the numbers of those that have died, but stopped recording new cases.

The USA is woefully inadequate in regards to number of infections/deaths, as they don't even have the ability to test people.

The bit in bold is incorrect. Nonsense in fact.

Since90+2
15-03-2020, 04:45 PM
There are still 84000+ unresolved cases in that overall number. And 7% of them are critical.

There will be a huge number of undiagnosed cases as some people have such mild symptoms they are simply not presenting for testing.

UK Chief Medical Officer estimates the true fatality rate is around 1% and on this one I think he may be right.

Hibs4185
15-03-2020, 04:51 PM
This is why I feel HSL has to continue collecting funds so if the worst was ever to happen at least the fans would have a head start in trying to purchase RG’s shares.

The only way to know if RG regrets buying hibs is if someone offered him his original investment back. If he accepted them you’d have your answer.

I however think he is here for the long haul. I would still prefer us fans to have a back up plan just in case though.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 05:02 PM
There will be a huge number of undiagnosed cases as some people have such mild symptoms they are simply not presenting for testing.

UK Chief Medical Officer estimates the true fatality rate is around 1% and on this one I think he may be right.

That would mean there are 7 times as many people who have had the virus compared to the worldometer figures no?

CentreLine
15-03-2020, 05:05 PM

The eye of the storm in this pandemic originates in China. It has since moved to Europe. It will move on to USA. I agree that the CMO "estimates" 1% but that is based on an estimated 80% of the whole population actually contracting the virus but not being recorded. The actual known figures offer a higher percentage mortality. In either case, we are dismissing an awful lot of lives if we shrug out collective shoulders at 1%. Which I am sure you are not doing

Just Alf
15-03-2020, 05:11 PM

UK Chief Medical Officer estimates the true fatality rate is around 1% and on this one I think he may be right.Pretty much agree with that last bit, the question that many seem to be avoiding though is what 1% death rate looks like in 4-5 months time once the virus has done infecting everyone.

Folk STILL compare it to the Flu etc but with that, the vast majority don't get it because of flu jabs or a built up immunity, corona is on its 1st 'sweep' so isn't (yet) comparable therefore the total numbers of flu deaths are lower despite a similar %.. Flu and corona comparisons can be made next year, assuming a vaccine is made as widely available as the flu version.

I think!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jacomo
15-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Research so far indicates that the current figures are an accurate reflection. It's early days though and the situation is constantly changing.
Getting a clear picture is also not helped by countries like Iran suppressing what apparently is becoming a very serious situation.

EZ

There is no way every case of Coronavirus in the UK has been tested and confirmed. Not even close.

Andy74
15-03-2020, 06:18 PM
That would mean there are 7 times as many people who have had the virus compared to the worldometer figures no?

It was estimated at the end of the week that the true number of cases could be a factor of 10 of reported cases.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Folk STILL compare it to the Flu etc but with that, the vast majority don't get it because of flu jabs or a built up immunity, corona is on its 1st 'sweep' so isn't (yet) comparable therefore the total numbers of flu deaths are lower despite a similar %.. Flu and corona comparisons can be made next year, assuming a vaccine is made as widely available as the flu version.

I think!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's how I see it too, it's a pointless comparison at the moment.

DH1875
15-03-2020, 06:33 PM
There is no way every case of Coronavirus in the UK has been tested and confirmed. Not even close.

That's not news, government openly admit it. Only people being tested now are those who need to go to hospital.

DH1875
15-03-2020, 06:36 PM
It was estimated at the end of the week that the true number of cases could be a factor of 10 of reported cases.

Was some expert on sky news earlier. He said that tens of thousands of people in the UK already have it. That's tens of thousands, not 10 thousand.

CentreLine
15-03-2020, 06:38 PM

I think the number counting is helpful for future analysis of what happened but if anyone needs to see the tragedy of what this thing looks like they only need to look at pictures from Italy. The over stressed Medicare system is there for all to see and 1,809 deaths so far from 24,747 known cases. A country at breaking point

Keith_M
15-03-2020, 06:39 PM

OK, it's slightly more complicated.... but not nonsense.

'On Thursday, the top health official for infectious diseases admitted that the testing system was "currently failing", and that the US was not able to supply tests "easily, the way people in other countries are doing it".'

BBC Article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51875871)

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 06:54 PM

Wow. I didn't see that.

Leith Green
15-03-2020, 07:10 PM

EZ

Didnt they reckon though that lots will get Coronavirus and not even realise it? Think they said lots will have mild symptoms..
If thats the case then surely that would make the reported death rates well out , it would be a death rate of reported cases which is what these figures are based on.

jacomo
15-03-2020, 07:35 PM
That's not news, government openly admit it. Only people being tested now are those who need to go to hospital.

Sure, but my point is that it makes the reported fatality rate fairly meaningless.

FilipinoHibs
15-03-2020, 10:21 PM

Experts are saying the whole world will catch it. A 1% death rate is 78 million. More likely to be closer to flu death rate of 0 1% so 7.8 million dead.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2020, 10:34 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

Keith_M
16-03-2020, 08:53 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

Articles in the Guardian about "secret reports" and using the words "possibility" and "suggests" a lot.

I don't think they should be taken as 100% guaranteed to happen exactly as it's making out.

Hibbyradge
16-03-2020, 09:00 AM
Articles in the Guardian about "secret reports" and using the words "possibility" and "suggests" a lot.

I don't think they should be taken as 100% guaranteed to happen exactly as it's making out.

I don't think anything is guaranteed. However, I think the "it's just like the flu" brigade are very, very wrong.

Keith_M
16-03-2020, 09:22 AM
I don't think anything is guaranteed. However, I think the "it's just like the flu" brigade are very, very wrong.

I agree that it's not just like Flu.

I suppose I'm just trying to remain as positive as possible and hope people deal with this calmly.

WestCoastHibby
16-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Statistically 100% of people who eat food will die.....at some point
Statistics eh??

Keith_M
16-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Statistically 100% of people who eat food will die.....at some point
Statistics eh??

87.3% of all statistics are just made up.

HoboHarry
16-03-2020, 04:30 PM
87.3% of all statistics are just made up.
And the other 18.1% are lies......

Keith_M
16-03-2020, 05:09 PM
And the other 18.1% are lies......

37% of people are good at Maths.

The other 64% are sub-standard

jacomo
16-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Why did you post this?

There is, across large swathes of USA, no testing regime for Coronavirus in place. That is fact: unless you watch Fox News.

emerald green
16-03-2020, 05:52 PM
OK, it's slightly more complicated.... but not nonsense.

'On Thursday, the top health official for infectious diseases admitted that the testing system was "currently failing", and that the US was not able to supply tests "easily, the way people in other countries are doing it".'

BBC Article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51875871)

Yep, but that's not what your previous post said, was it.

Why did you post this?

There is, across large swathes of USA, no testing regime for Coronavirus in place. That is fact: unless you watch Fox News.

Why? Because I know someone personally who has already been tested in USA. Got tested no problem, and thankfully test result has come back as negative.

jacomo
16-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Why? Because I know someone personally who has already been tested in USA. Got tested no problem, and thankfully test result has come back as negative.

I’m very pleased for them, but it’s hardly a typical experience is it? Have you been watching the news?