PDA

View Full Version : Football: Financial Armageddon

Lee Marvin
14-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Many many clubs will fold over the next few months, both small and large, across Europe.

Which clubs do we think are most at risk?

I feel hibs are in a relatively strong position- no debt, large decent cash reserves (£4m??) and a reasonable wage bill.

Thoughts?

JeMeSouviens
14-03-2020, 02:11 PM
Sevco!

HoboHarry
14-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Sevco!

Please let that be true.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Mentioned this on another thread. It's a consequence of the situation that nobody seems willing to talk about, on TV this lunchtime they tried to get the CEO of Brighton to comment on whether or not the rich EPL clubs would be willing to help the smaller clubs and he made a good job of avoiding giving a yes answer. The way everybody in England rallied round to help Bury FC ...... not ...... probably gives the answer to the question though.

In Scotland the only avenue we have should it come to it is the Scottish government. Would they be prepared to save wilting clubs in the name of footballs cultural significance? After all, they pump millions into ballet and opera, the total Scottish audience for which in a year would probably disappoint the treasurer of Motherwell FC. The answer is probably not, so if things do continue past a certain point you could potentially see some clubs go to the wall and others go part time.

Its a worse case scenario which nobody wants to see. But if it gets bad enough it could come to the stage where in order to save big time professional football in this country our big city clubs may end up looking south. If enough clubs in England end up going to the wall that door might be open where at the moment it isn't.

Sir David Gray
14-03-2020, 02:56 PM
Sevco!

I'd be willing to hold on a bit longer for football to resume if it meant them going bust again.

thegaffer12
14-03-2020, 02:57 PM
St Johnstone and Hamilton might struggle I think

Since452
14-03-2020, 02:59 PM

Yup. They were already whoring home ticket to Rantic fans

The 90+2
14-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Community clubs like Hamilton, who rent their pitch out to the public when it’s a non-match day will definitely struggle.

The 90+2
14-03-2020, 03:01 PM
Yup. They were already whoring home ticket to Rantic fans

Have they any fixtures against the old firm left?

Waxy
14-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Football will be back in a few weeks.

Col2
14-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Hearts are sailing close to the wind. With the real likelihood of relegation now on the horizon that club will need massive investment.

I would assume best scenario for them is a player budget next season in the championship less than half of the current £9m pa.

They can’t just walk away from £30m of debt like last time and start afresh.

The majority shareholder (FOH) will have some very difficult decisions to make given they will be in the hot seat. Budge would have to resign as CEO.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2020, 03:29 PM
Hearts are sailing close to the wind. With the real likelihood of relegation now on the horizon that club will need massive investment.

I would assume best scenario for them is a player budget next season in the championship less than half of the current £9m pa.

They can’t just walk away from £30m of debt like last time and start afresh.

The majority shareholder (FOH) will have some very difficult decisions to make given they will be in the hot seat. Budge would have to resign as CEO.

:agree: You have to think that the Jambos have all but exhausted every avenue of revenue open to them, unless the rumours that JK's hubby is dipping into her bottomless pit of a purse to help them are true.

Some of the wages they are allegedly paying can't be sustainable and certainly wont be in the championship should they end up there. That's a club heading for a massive summer clear out and to continue with the JK Rowling theme if they had any sense they should start with Harry Potter :greengrin

BS44
14-03-2020, 04:12 PM
The yams started the season with only £600,000 cash and around £15 million annual operating costs. It wouldn't take too much disruption to the money coming in for them to suffer cashflow issues.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2020, 04:28 PM
ICT are in a precarious position. I reckon any more than 2 or 3 weeks could see them in real bother.

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2020, 04:29 PM
It’s not going to be pretty

SJNB Hibby
14-03-2020, 04:29 PM
Many many clubs will fold over the next few months, both small and large, across Europe.

Which clubs do we think are most at risk?

I feel hibs are in a relatively strong position- no debt, large decent cash reserves (£4m??) and a reasonable wage bill.

Thoughts?

Don't tell that to Notts County...almost 5000 for their game today. Don't know what their usual crowd is, but g\looks like lots of local football fans decided to head along.
So much for stopping large gatherings

Itsnoteasy
14-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Community clubs like Hamilton, who rent their pitch out to the public when it’s a non-match day will definitely struggle.

Hamilton don't rent out their pitch to the public. Their chairman was asked this question on radio/tv yesterday. Pitch is for Hamilton teams only.

04Sauzee
14-03-2020, 04:45 PM
The yams started the season with only £600,000 cash and around £15 million annual operating costs. It wouldn't take too much disruption to the money coming in for them to suffer cashflow issues.

Funny becuase they seem to think we are one of the clubs most likely to enter admin.

Moulin Yarns
14-03-2020, 04:45 PM
Don't tell that to Notts County...almost 5000 for their game today. Don't know what their usual crowd is, but g\looks like lots of local football fans decided to head along.

Nobody in England has made that recommendation regarding large gatherings.

Even in Scotland the gathering over 500 is only recommended not to go ahead if emergency services are required to attend.

Theatre and cinemas can still be open.

Jim44
14-03-2020, 04:48 PM

Do you work for the World Health Organisation? :greengrin

jakedance
14-03-2020, 04:52 PM
Reasonable chance a Scottish club could go into administration and save Hearts season.

BS44
14-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Funny becuase they seem to think we are one of the clubs most likely to enter admin.

As a comparison we had £5.5 million cash in the bank and around £11 million operating costs. If not one additional penny came in:

Hibs could cover their costs for about 6 months
The yaks could cover their costs for about a fortnight
They may need yet another bung to ride out a cashflow crisis. The problem they have is that everyone - even the deluded rich - will find it a bit harder to chuck cash around, particularly if the global economy goes into recession.

Dibben
14-03-2020, 05:02 PM
Reasonable chance a Scottish club could go into administration and save Hearts season.

Would be interesting to see how the football authorities would deal with this.

If administration was solely down to the pandemic (as opposed to financial mismanagement, would they give them a points deduction??

Surely that would be very harsh indeed?

Jim44
14-03-2020, 05:02 PM

I said this on another thread but don’t agree with their reasoning. In fact they don’t have any reasoning other than petty wishful thinking. One thing I’m sure of is, that any decisions on the survival of Scottish football in the present crisis, made by our illustrious governing bodies, will be in favour and support of HMFC. Vested interest will dominate.

bigwheel
14-03-2020, 05:11 PM
ICT are in a precarious position. I reckon any more than 2 or 3 weeks could see them in real bother.

If true. They will be gonners then, will be 2-4 months....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tobias Funke
14-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Love this opinion, seen it a couple of times now. 🤪

Football won’t be back in a few weeks. Try a few months, that’s more likely.

One Day Soon
14-03-2020, 06:22 PM

I'm not sure you are grasping what is happening here and more to the point, what is about to unfold.

Since90+2
14-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Heard on the radio FIFA are sitting on cash reserves of around 3 billion. Surely this is the time to be helping clubs with that finance.

Lancs Harp
14-03-2020, 07:49 PM

Notts Co average gate this season is 5,210 so if anything todays gate was a little under normal.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2020, 08:01 PM
Heard on the radio FIFA are sitting on cash reserves of around 3 billion. Surely this is the time to be helping clubs with that finance.

Half a billion from world cup rights, two and a half billion from world cup bungs :greengrin

JimBHibees
14-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Hamilton chairman said they don't rent out to local teams.

Waxy
14-03-2020, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure you are grasping what is happening here and more to the point, what is about to unfold.

Really? We will earn our immunity as we have always done.
What will help is if our leaders and rich get the cash out and bolster the NHS with whatever it takes. Staff/ventilators.
One EPL football player probably takes home enough money to buy dozens of these.
Raheem Sterling £300,000 a week? Much much more than obscene.
Probably run a hospital wing and a bunch of staff on his own.

ballengeich
14-03-2020, 08:15 PM
For clubs that can't meet their obligations it will depend on who they're expected to pay. I can see some going into administration with the objective of getting rid of a lot of staff, getting a cva then resuming with a lower level of expenditure and a points deduction. If a sufficient proportion of any debts is to directors who're also fans so willing to write money off that allows the club to survive.

Others may not be able to restructure in this way and will therefore disappear, or phoenix, like Sevco, futher down the pyramid.

All clubs will have to re-examine their budgets. I would not be surprised if the number of full-time clubs
decreases, and wages in all divisions are likely to drop next season.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2020, 08:17 PM
What will help is if our leaders and rich get the cash out and bolster the NHS with whatever it takes. Staff/ventilators.
One EPL football player probably takes home enough money to buy dozens of these.

Raheem Sterling’s tax bill pay for plenty nurses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxy
14-03-2020, 08:20 PM

Yes it will indeed.

Keith_M
14-03-2020, 08:24 PM

Let's all be eternally grateful for those obscenely overpaid Premiership players for being forced to pay taxes*.

We should all light a candle to them in gratitude every evening, maybe say a wee prayer.

* Or at least those that haven't worked out schemes to avoid it yet.

ScottB
14-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimately, it’s not just football.

Next step will be to shut pubs, bars, restaurants etc. How many of those could survive even a couple weeks without income? You can see how the longer this goes on, the worse it’s going to get.

The government is likely going to have to take major measures to stave off the economic damage this is going to cause. I would expect massive relief funds, debt forgiveness, postponing bills etc; in Italy they’ve suspended mortgage and other household bills for example.

JimBHibees
14-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Listened to sportsound during the week and David Southern Mr Self Sufficient seemed to be indicating that the vast majority of clubs should be covered for loss of earnings via insurance in this circumstance. Wonder if he is right or wrong?

hibbyfraelibby
14-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Hamilton don't rent it out, per their Vice Chairman last night on SportSound.

ballengeich
14-03-2020, 08:42 PM
Ultimately, it’s not just football.

Next step will be to shut pubs, bars, restaurants etc. How many of those could survive even a couple weeks without income? You can see how the longer this goes on, the worse it’s going to get.

The government is likely going to have to take major measures to stave off the economic damage this is going to cause. I would expect massive relief funds, debt forgiveness, postponing bills etc; in Italy they’ve suspended mortgage and other household bills for example.

Agree that the government will have to take major measures, but it won't prevent economic damage, only limit it. A lot of businesses will disappear and it'll take a considerable time until their workers find other productive employment.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2020, 08:43 PM

Time for FIFA to be called out. If they are about the development and sustainability then time they did something that matters.

I wonder just what it would take for footballs bubble to burst perhaps it won’t ever come but it’s got obscene.

At a time like this we should see that we’ve got it massively wrong - healthcare, teaching essential services are the things that really matter. Wouldn’t it be lovely if SKY and BT invested there? (I jest but pumping billions into the EPL? Gimme a break).

Col2
14-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Listened to sportsound during the week and David Southern Mr Self Sufficient seemed to be indicating that the vast majority of clubs should be covered for loss of earnings via insurance in this circumstance. Wonder if he is right or wrong?

He is a prick. Always has been. Been involved with constant failure at each club. Still remember him with his self sufficient line weeks before they went into administration.

In fact it was at the Tynie derby if I recall - when Sparky scored that 35 yard free kick. Derby was on 12th May 2013, administration was on 19th June. 2013.

So 38 days between self sufficient and insolvency 😂😂😂

ScottB
14-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Time for FIFA to be called out. If they are about the development and sustainability then time they did something that matters.

I wonder just what it would take for footballs bubble to burst perhaps it won’t ever come but it’s got obscene.

At a time like this we should see that we’ve got it massively wrong - healthcare, teaching essential services are the things that really matter. Wouldn’t it be lovely if SKY and BT invested there? (I jest but pumping billions into the EPL? Gimme a break).

Sky only have money because millions choose to give them £40 a month to watch football.

Those folk are entirely free to do something else with that money.

04Sauzee
14-03-2020, 08:53 PM

David Southern 😅 boys a trumpet

KDY Hibs
14-03-2020, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6119058]Listened to sportsound during the week and David Southern Mr Self Sufficient seemed to be indicating that the vast majority of clubs should be covered for loss of earnings via insurance in this circumstance. Wonder if he is right or wrong?

I can't see a lot of clubs paying for business continuity insurance, many I think will be struggling

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Sky only have money because millions choose to give them £40 a month to watch football.

yup I’ve mentioned the perpetuation of the situation through subscriptions. Where does it got tho?

Ozyhibby
14-03-2020, 09:24 PM
yup I’ve mentioned the perpetuation of the situation through subscriptions. Where does it got tho?

Doesn’t go anywhere. Sterling playing football makes lots of people happy enough to pay to watch him. Good for him.

cocteautwin
14-03-2020, 11:23 PM

Yup. They were £4m overspent before the season even started. Mental. Hope they go bust.

FitbaFolkKen
15-03-2020, 12:24 AM
Let's all be eternally grateful for those obscenely overpaid Premiership players for being forced to pay taxes*.

We should all light a candle to them in gratitude every evening, maybe say a wee prayer.

* Or at least those that haven't worked out schemes to avoid it yet.

It isn’t the players fault the market dictates that is what they can earn.

I earn more than other professions because that’s what my skill set dictates I can earn, what level should I cap my earnings?

Ozyhibby
15-03-2020, 12:36 AM

I earn more than other professions because that’s what my skill set dictates I can earn, what level should I cap my earnings?

No but anybody could do what Raheem Sterling does.[emoji6]

sambajustice
15-03-2020, 01:26 AM
About time a good few clubs went out of business!

Onion
15-03-2020, 01:47 AM
Too many clubs up here. Dundee pubs need to merge, Hibs will save Hearts and Celtic will buy Sevco for a pound.

Jack
15-03-2020, 07:31 AM

I wonder how many of these millions will continue paying for a service they're not getting?

Gmack7
15-03-2020, 08:02 AM

people should be cancelling their £40pm as there is no sport to watch

Keith_M
15-03-2020, 08:06 AM

I'm not 'blaming' players for anything... I'm just not going to agree with someone that thinks we should be eternally grateful to them that they pay taxes on their obscenely large earnings.

bigwheel
15-03-2020, 08:19 AM

Never understand this view...what if it was us ? Clubs are part of communities...often for over 100 years....they are important to the local communities

Ozyhibby
15-03-2020, 08:26 AM
Never understand this view...what if it was us ? Clubs are part of communities...often for over 100 years....they are important to the local communities

Most of them should not be in the senior leagues though. They would not survive without the subsidies from the top league.

bigwheel
15-03-2020, 08:27 AM
Most of them should not be in the senior leagues though. They would not survive without the subsidies from the top league.

They get very little ...other than small share of sponsorship, and some UEFA money....finding their level is quite different from going out of business ...

Viva_Palmeiras
15-03-2020, 08:54 AM
I wonder how many of these millions will continue paying for a service they're not getting?

Esp if they are laid off or unable to work / earn due to virus.

The invisible hand of the market got it wrong - we over value and under value the wrong things.

sadtom
15-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Its understandable that people point to the grossly overpaid players (and it is obscene). But for me it always seems to miss the point...who pays the overpaid? The owners and assorted 'super rich'who pay those wages, are in an altogether different strata. Some wouldnt bend down to pick up a star players annual salary if they dropped it.
If half the weath was stripped from the richest 100 peaple in the world every single problem, hunger, homelessness, health, etc could be solved overnight.
They have wealth that is unimaginable and are the main 'dodgers' and 'avoiders'.
There is the global solution.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Too many clubs up here. Dundee pubs need to merge, Hibs will save Hearts and Celtic will buy Sevco for a pound.

So Dundee and Dundee United, two of the top 10 supported clubs in the country should merge and at a stroke leave us short of one relatively well supported club and do away with the countries 3rd most exciting derby match. Under the heading 'too many clubs' Dundee and Dundee Utd are two of the last you would look to see the back of.

One Day Soon
15-03-2020, 03:02 PM

That's all very interesting but I don't see how it gets you to football being back in a few weeks given the scale of what is going to develop.

ScottB
15-03-2020, 03:09 PM
In related news, apparently Ronaldo is turning all his hotels in Portugal’s into free hospitals and will pay to run them as such.

bigwheel
15-03-2020, 03:24 PM
In related news, apparently Ronaldo is turning all his hotels in Portugal’s into free hospitals and will pay to run them as such.

It’s a real credit to him this isn’t it ..great effort ....

Billy Whizz
15-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Think the English championship will be hit really hard. Some of the clubs in that division have massive debts, chasing the holy grail of the Premier League

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/50674331

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2020, 04:06 PM

Not the first time Ronaldo has been generous with his money for a good cause either ... He might come across as an arrogant guy on the pitch, but clearly he has a heart to match his ego.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2020, 04:22 PM
Think the English championship will be hit really hard. Some of the clubs in that division have massive debts, chasing the holy grail of the Premier League

Staggering figures, a third of those clubs are no bigger than Hibs but losses like that would wipe us off the map :confused:

It seems the EFL's biggest problem wont be loss of gate money, but the companies and folk who own them being affected by business losses or a dilution of their personal fortunes .... if that happens and its a case of selling a factory, losing the private island or binning the fitba financial black hole no prizes for guessing which goes.

Mind, if yer club is owned by Andrex look forward to the champions league final :greengrin

CMurdoch
15-03-2020, 04:26 PM

Your right, too many pubs in Dundee.
Hunners o them. Nae need.

As for bookies, they will be getting it up the trumpet anaw.

Gid time tae start workin' with folk wae gamblin' problems.

Ozyhibby
15-03-2020, 04:27 PM

It's only when the tide goes out that you discover who's been swimming naked.

Warren Buffet

bringbackbenny
15-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Not the first time Ronaldo has been generous with his money for a good cause either ... He might come across as an arrogant guy on the pitch, but clearly he has a heart to match his ego.

Wish this was true but appears to be fake news? pulled from the Mail earlier. Although the Star is hardly a bastion of truth!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/cristiano-ronaldo-coronavirus-hotel-story-21696118

southern hibby
15-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Let’s say there is no football for 3-4 months or maybe even longer. I could see clubs deliberately going into admin to get players of their pay roll. I’m not saying this will happen but it’s possible.

Also can see again depending on the time frame without football, the transfer window changing. Why would you try and sign players during the normal transfer window to pay wages if no football is getting played?

This could mean that there could be quite a few players that are out of contract when their contracts run out at the end of May and no one wanting them.

all hypothetical I know but still a realistic possibility.

GGTTH

stu in nottingham
15-03-2020, 11:17 PM

Notts' usual home gate is around 5,200. They were a few hundred down yesterday, in spite of being the only team playing remotely in the area. i know that fans from clubs such as Forest, Mansfield, Lincoln and Villa had enquired about tickets to attend. I think that interest was outweighed by regular spectators, of which I am one, who decided to stay away.

tamig
15-03-2020, 11:30 PM
The polar opposite of Messi.

SJNB Hibby
15-03-2020, 11:57 PM
Notts' usual home gate is around 5,200. They were a few hundred down yesterday, in spite of being the only team playing remotely in the area. i know that fans from clubs such as Forest, Mansfield, Lincoln and Villa had enquired about tickets to attend. I think that interest was outweighed by regular spectators, of which I am one, who decided to stay away.

Yes i saw the article on the Beeb
They were the only club in the championship
WITH a below average crowd
Some of the sixth tier teams had bumper
crowds
The fact that a 5th tier team in England
can get 5000 a week is phenomenal

mjhibby
16-03-2020, 12:43 AM
Let’s say there is no football for 3-4 months or maybe even longer. I could see clubs deliberately going into admin to get players of their pay roll. I’m not saying this will happen but it’s possible.

Also can see again depending on the time frame without football, the transfer window changing. Why would you try and sign players during the normal transfer window to pay wages if no football is getting played?

This could mean that there could be quite a few players that are out of contract when their contracts run out at the end of May and no one wanting them.

all hypothetical I know but still a realistic possibility.

GGTTH

The logical thing to do imho is to extend contracts of those ending on Jun 1st and finish the season with the same squads teams have now. After all clubs can't sign players just now. Once the season is completed the transfer window can open and those who were out of contract on Jun 1 are free agents and can sign for whoever. There's no way the transfer window will open if this season isn't finished.

Ozyhibby
16-03-2020, 12:56 AM
The logical thing to do imho is to extend contracts of those ending on Jun 1st and finish the season with the same squads teams have now. After all clubs can't sign players just now. Once the season is completed the transfer window can open and those who were out of contract on Jun 1 are free agents and can sign for whoever. There's no way the transfer window will open if this season isn't finished.

You can’t just extend a contract if a player doesn’t want it.

monktonharp
16-03-2020, 01:17 AM
Probably run a hospital wing and a bunch of staff on his own.:agree:more than obscene. if u can get more.

monktonharp
16-03-2020, 01:23 AM

* Or at least those that haven't worked out schemes to avoid it yet.their agents or their accountants will be all over that, as we speak.

Paisley Hibby
16-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Aye. And the war will be over by Christmas 🙄

Waxy
16-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Aye. And the war will be over by Christmas 🙄

Well perhaps football will be back next season. I’m not banking on it.

southern hibby
16-03-2020, 03:11 PM

Not got a problem with this, except what if let’s say Hearts or Hamilton etc have 4-5-6 players going out of contract who refuse to resign until the new transfer window opens.

I can hear the excuses now we can’t finish our fixtures because we’ve not got these players so we can’t be relegated as it’s not our fault. Again all hypothetical but can actually happen.

Anyway whatever happens I hope we get a decision soon as I’d just like to know in which way we are headed.

GGTTH

GTMRossaK3
16-03-2020, 08:07 PM
So Dundee and Dundee United, two of the top 10 supported clubs in the country should merge and at a stroke leave us short of one relatively well supported club and do away with the countries 3rd most exciting derby match. Under the heading 'too many clubs' Dundee and Dundee Utd are two of the last you would look to see the back of.

I live close to but not in Dundee. Have considered the options for the future of the two Dundee clubs for a good few years now and suggest the following as a viable option. A merger politically is a no goer as it destroys the years of history behind each club and that is something the vast majority of fans would never accept. Ground sharing is a different thing - there is no reason why each team in a shared stadium could not have their own side of the shared stadium with their dedicated changing room and other dedicated facilities, coloured stand, dugout, etc. Dundee is not a big enough city to support two expensive football stadiums as I see it. Be interested to hear views - probably applies to other clubs as well.

NAE NOOKIE
17-03-2020, 12:36 AM
I live close to but not in Dundee. Have considered the options for the future of the two Dundee clubs for a good few years now and suggest the following as a viable option. A merger politically is a no goer as it destroys the years of history behind each club and that is something the vast majority of fans would never accept. Ground sharing is a different thing - there is no reason why each team in a shared stadium could not have their own side of the shared stadium with their dedicated changing room and other dedicated facilities, coloured stand, dugout, etc. Dundee is not a big enough city to support two expensive football stadiums as I see it. Be interested to hear views - probably applies to other clubs as well.

Totally agree. I would imagine the proximity of the two grounds practically means the experience of going to watch Dundee or Dundee Utd is the same for both seats of fans until they actually enter the stadium.

Over the last 5 years or more millions and millions have been spent redeveloping Dundee's waterfront, it's a real up and coming city. I'm amazed the two clubs never got together, agreed to sell off the land their two stadiums occupy and in conjunction with other partners tried to build a shared 12 to 14 thousand capacity stadium .... I would imagine the savings in running one stadium would be significant and it's not as if they would be the first clubs to ground share.

Neither club would be compromising their identity in such a situation.

foxy
17-03-2020, 06:31 AM
Totally agree. I would imagine the proximity of the two grounds practically means the experience of going to watch Dundee or Dundee Utd is the same for both seats of fans until they actually enter the stadium.

Over the last 5 years or more millions and millions have been spent redeveloping Dundee's waterfront, it's a real up and coming city. I'm amazed the two clubs never got together, agreed to sell off the land their two stadiums occupy and in conjunction with other partners tried to build a shared 12 to 14 thousand capacity stadium .... I would imagine the savings in running one stadium would be significant and it's not as if they would be the first clubs to ground share.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/968085/exclusive-dundee-owner-tim-keyes-keen-to-discuss-sharing-new-stadium-with-city-rivals-dundee-united/

Dundee are already looking to build a 15,000 seater stadium and are hoping Utd will groundshare with them

theonlywayisup
17-03-2020, 06:54 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I'm sure that there will be many once wealthy owners who threw their spare change at football clubs that are likely to be not so wealthy and will need it to prop up their company. Same with some companies that provide multi million pound sponsorship to clubs like the Airlines or Betting Companies.

That said, there will be some companies that will benefit from the virus. Gaming and gambling operators are likely to benefit as many more people are forced to isolate themselves for a long period to ward off the disease.

Think we'll see a number of clubs go bust. It's possible that season 2020/21 will be disrupted by teams going bust, assuming it even starts.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-03-2020, 06:56 AM

Allegiances aside, Imagine sharing a stadium with financial nut jobs like Hearts or Rangers...

Michael
17-03-2020, 07:00 AM
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/968085/exclusive-dundee-owner-tim-keyes-keen-to-discuss-sharing-new-stadium-with-city-rivals-dundee-united/

Dundee are already looking to build a 15,000 seater stadium and are hoping Utd will groundshare with them

It'll be a big empty stadium outside the city. I don't understand why they don't redevelop one of the current sites. 12,000 would probably be a good size - big enough to have room for walk-ups, but small enough to create some demand.

nonshinyfinish
17-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Allegiances aside, Imagine sharing a stadium with financial nut jobs like Hearts or Rangers...

Given that Dundee's recent history involves going into administration twice in seven years, I'd be wary of moving in with them as well.

Lago
17-03-2020, 09:24 AM
And Ibrox has I read manage to recruit another multi millionaire to plough cash into the club.

.Sean.
17-03-2020, 09:25 AM
That’s an utterly ridiculous comment. We’re no more deserving of a club to support than those who ardently follow Forfar, Brechin, Stranraer etc. Shocker of a post

HiBremian
17-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Found this on my twitter feed...

theonlywayisup
17-03-2020, 10:05 AM

Yes, been posted a few times. Don't know how accurate it is.

Ozyhibby
17-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Yes, been posted a few times. Don't know how accurate it is.

I think the figures are accurate but don’t know how relevant they are to each other.

Ozyhibby
17-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Listening to the news on the economy and I think commercial income could be almost non existent in football next year. Companies just won’t be able to afford it.

nonshinyfinish
17-03-2020, 12:20 PM

If these are accurate then surely we'll be handed the title? :cb

greenginger
17-03-2020, 12:28 PM

I think these figures are out are out of date.

If you look at our suggested cash figure, £ 4,242,644. And then look at the balance sheet of our 2019 accounts , you will see it’s exactly the same figure as our cash in hand from 2018.

Big coincidence if our current cash figure is the same as a figure nearly two years ago.

HiBremian
17-03-2020, 12:32 PM
I think these figures are out are out of date.

If you look at our suggested cash figure, £ 4,242,644. And then look at the balance sheet of our 2019 accounts , you will see it’s exactly the same figure as our cash in hand from 2018.

Big coincidence if our current cash figure is the same as a figure nearly two years ago.

Pretty sure you’re right, since last years’ accounts will be the most recent available for all clubs. We’d need to extrapolate over the two years to be anywhere near up to date. It gives a taste, however, of the state of the clubs.

Ozyhibby
17-03-2020, 01:58 PM
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/barnet-lay-off-all-non-playing-staff-coronavirus-national-league?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

Barnett lay off all non playing staff

NAE NOOKIE
17-03-2020, 02:23 PM
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/barnet-lay-off-all-non-playing-staff-coronavirus-national-league?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

And so it begins .... This could change the football landscape dramatically if it goes on long enough, debts will be getting called in and two thirds of clubs are swimming in it. As another poster said, when the dust settles who knows how many firms will be out of the football sponsorship and corporate business, not to mention those individuals and companies with a stake in clubs revising their position to concentrate on other more pressing priorities.

Even SKY and BT will surely start losing sports subscribers and once they do they will be hard to get back. The whole financial side of the game throughout Europe could change dramatically ... which perhaps would be no bad thing.

Lago
17-03-2020, 03:50 PM

Made redundant I heard on steam radio.