PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: END OF AN ERA | DAVID HARDIE

RSS Bot
13-03-2020, 08:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10587)

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Good luck in retirement. Always liked his reporting back in the day.

jacomo
13-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Yes best wishes to him. I imagine he is glad to get out, having witnessed how far the EEN has fallen in recent years.

RoYO!
13-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Yes in this day and age of

[Advert]

Click bait and

[Advert]

Social media likes and impact

[Advert]

He always seemed like one of the good guys

[Advert]

Good luck and enjoy your well earned retirement!

Jonnyboy
13-03-2020, 08:38 PM
David is a great guy and I wish him a long and happy retirement

Pretty Boy
13-03-2020, 08:56 PM
One of my childhood memories was seeing David Hardies player ratings in the News on a Monday and either agreeing or disagreeing with them.

He always seemed a bit old school, in a good way, so the modern desk bound journalistic role at the EEN probably doesn't suit him.

Best wishes to him in his retirement.

May21/05/16
13-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Not a patch on john Gibson

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

LaMotta
13-03-2020, 09:23 PM

Quite the opposite IMO.

Great reporter, nice guy, will be missed.

Peevemor
13-03-2020, 09:23 PM

I disagree. With David Hardie I never got the impression that he was bigger than the story.

Forza Fred
13-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Helped us a lot out here in Oz in our early days and I still keep in touch with him occasionally.

He was a good lad.

Stantons Angel
13-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Just want to wish David all the very best for his retirement.

Used to catch up with him on various European away days with Hibs a real journalist and a gentleman with it.

The Evening News used to have a slogan "Tomorrows news today" that can hardly be said of todays issues. You can have alook at mid day and they are still running
stories from the morning before.

Sad to see such an Edinburgh institution fall so far from grace.

They will miss David and his professionalism.

Good Luck pal. xx

tonyrougier123
13-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Grew u reading all my hibs latest written by david hardie.
thanks for all the hibs scoops and match reports.
End of an era for the news!
Good luck david.

GGTTH

G B Young
13-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Yes best wishes to him. I imagine he is glad to get out, having witnessed how far the EEN has fallen in recent years.

Spot on. I remember there used to be several editions a day and you would sometimes get news of a Hibs signing in the City Final edition. Now the paper is printed the night before and not worth buying. David Hardie must have found it a dull environment compared to the buzz of old school journalism. I'll be surprised if the paper itself doesn't get 'retired' soon.

Anyway, all the best to DH. He was the man to go to for Hibs news back in the day.

green with envy
13-03-2020, 10:34 PM
David's a good pal of mine and was planning on having a few beers in the Iona tomorrow after the game to celebrate his retirement but this has now changed to a 3.00 KO (how apt) meet-up at a pub in Goldenacre tomorrow afternoon.

NOLA
13-03-2020, 11:57 PM
Good luck in life David Hardie! If I saw you’d written something bout Hibs in the news I believed it! In this day that means something [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
14-03-2020, 12:00 AM
Good luck in life David Hardie! If I saw you’d written something bout Hibs in the news I believed it! In this day that means something [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely. Everything else meant pap unless it was reported by David Hardie.

uwxm07
14-03-2020, 12:05 AM
Good luck in retirement.
Enjoyed your reports for almost 5 decades

I doubt I will even click on the EEN links now you’ve retired I gave up the hootsman years back . Times change , people change but apparently Scottish Newspapers just give up and die

JimBHibees
14-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Totally disagree. Night and day both as journalists and people imo.

Best of luck David.

Bostonhibby
14-03-2020, 07:57 AM
Top reporter and reading his coverage of Hibs from afar was a staple of my time away from Edinburgh when I used to have the papers posted down.

A long and Happy retirement.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

InchHibby
14-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Good luck with your next venture David, even if it is just enjoying your retirement, I always enjoyed reading your articles over the years, made a change to have someone in the press who was on our side. 👍👍

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2020, 09:20 AM
Good luck with your retirement David and all the best for the future

I always enjoyed reading your match reports and updates

John Gibson was also very good but my all time favourite is the late great Stewart Brown

Three legends from a bygone age

The EEN will never be the same again

Tom Hart RIP
14-03-2020, 09:33 AM
All the best David. Unlike some other reporters he only wrote articles that were true/correct. No speculation or made up sources. He will be missed but the days of evening papers have gone IMO

flash
14-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Seriously?

heretoday
14-03-2020, 11:49 AM
Very nice man David. He's in a long line of Hibby newspapermen.

I might mention Ian Wood of The Scotsman - old school and a charming chap also.

bigwheel
14-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Very nice man David. He's in a long line of Hibby newspapermen.

I might mention Ian Wood of The Scotsman - old school and a charming chap also.

Two good points [emoji106][emoji106]

Kato
14-03-2020, 01:37 PM
The Evening News used to have a slogan "Tomorrows news today" that can hardly be said of todays issues.

Now it's "a little bit of yesterday afternoons news, this morning".

G B Young
14-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Good luck with your retirement David and all the best for the future

I always enjoyed reading your match reports and updates

John Gibson was also very good but my all time favourite is the late great Stewart Brown

Three legends from a bygone age

The EEN will never be the same again

Yes, he was the one I remember reading as a kid. IIRC he was instrumental in bringing George Best to Hibs. His book 'Hibernian Greats' is excellent.

As others have mentioned Ian Wood was another great Hibs-supporting journalist.

JeMeSouviens
14-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Was/is DH not a Rangers fan? I’m sure I’ve been told that. You can’t tell from his writing which is testament to what a good professional he’s been.

The Harp
14-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Was/is DH not a Rangers fan? I’m sure I’ve been told that. You can’t tell from his writing which is testament to what a good professional he’s been.

Heard that years ago too, it didn't prevent him from reporting with style on all things Hibs. Nice to see him at Alan Lugton's funeral too.

Thanks David and good luck with whatever you turn your hand to next.

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Yes, he was the one I remember reading as a kid. IIRC he was instrumental in bringing George Best to Hibs. His book 'Hibernian Greats' is excellent.

As others have mentioned Ian Wood was another great Hibs-supporting journalist.

👍🏾

Four legends

G B Young
14-03-2020, 10:04 PM

Yes, Ibrox season ticket holder in the 70s - or so he told me when I once met him in the Jinglin Geordie pub a good number of years ago. However he'd also developed a big affection for the Hibees due to his close connection to the club. I imagine that by now he's a fully fledged fan. Seem to recall that the reporter who covered Hearts at that time was also a Rangers fan.

JimBHibees
14-03-2020, 10:15 PM
Yes, Ibrox season ticket holder in the 70s - or so he told me when I once met him in the Jinglin Geordie pub a good number of years ago. However he'd also developed a big affection for the Hibees due to his close connection to the club. I imagine that by now he's a fully fledged fan. Seem to recall that the reporter who covered Hearts at that time was also a Rangers fan.

Pretty sure Barry Anderson is also.

sadtom
15-03-2020, 03:06 AM

:agree:
Worked in JG's for years many moons ago. Knew David quite well back in the day. Last time i heard from him was when he contacted me when doing a piece on 20th anniversary of HoH.
Certainly was a sticky bun (used to noise him up about it :greengrin) but as you say he's been in with the bricks for so long, his affinity with the club has grown proportionally.

A proper old skool journo and by all accounts a good standard hockey player in his youth.
Plenty time for him, sound guy.
Enjoy the easy life David. :thumbsup:

Crammond Hibee
15-03-2020, 08:17 AM
Really good guy 👍🏻

Iggy Pope
15-03-2020, 10:47 AM

Think you mean Stewart Brown. John Gibson was an insufferable twat.

Logie Green
15-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Think you mean Stewart Brown. John Gibson was an insufferable twat.

👍 JG must've been one of the richest people in Edinburgh as he never seemed to put his hands in his pocket. Despite claiming to be a Hibs man he was quick to take up Mercer's free scran and bevvy offer when Hibs were not at home. I also think he got into ER using his press pass so didn't seem to contribute to 'his' club either.

givescotlandfreedom
15-03-2020, 01:48 PM
👍 JG must've been one of the richest people in Edinburgh as he never seemed to put his hands in his pocket. Despite claiming to be a Hibs man he was quick to take up Mercer's free scran and bevvy offer when Hibs were not at home. I also think he got into ER using his press pass so didn't seem to contribute to 'his' club either.

I mind him moaning when he never got a Christmas card from Hibs. Hoped it was tongue in cheek.

monktonharp
16-03-2020, 01:40 AM
Think you mean Stewart Brown. John Gibson was an insufferable twat.auld Stewart Broon was an absolute Hibby, and his pink news reports were good. that auld fart fae "stockeroo" lived on his reporter's /supporters basis for free meals over the years. Hardie was well known and respected by many Hibs fans and said it how it was, He was never shy, to say we were playin' keek so I will gie him that.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2020, 06:31 AM
I remember as a boy you could easily pick out Stewart Brown sitting in the Press Box from the East sitting not far from Eddie Turnbull who watched every game from the Centre Stand in order that he could get a better appreciation of how the game was going

My eyesight was a lot better then :greengrin

As others have said Stewart Brown was a good friend of Tom Hart

Kato
16-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Eddie Turnbull who watched every game from the Centre Stand in order that he could get a better appreciation of how the game was going

Great memories of Eddie appearing at the tunnel half way through a match. You just knew he was going to tweak something or other and the opposition were in trouble.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Great memories of Eddie appearing at the tunnel half way through a match. You just knew he was going to tweak something or other and the opposition were in trouble.
:agree:

Telling Arthur and Mickey to swap wings second half versus Sporting worked a treat. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Anyone know if John Gibson was Grumpy Gibby the West Stand Hibby?

Or for that matter the real identity of this Superfan ?

:dunno:

Kato
16-03-2020, 10:05 AM
Anyone know if John Gibson was Grumpy Gibby the West Stand Hibby?

Or for that matter the real identity of this Superfan ?

:dunno:Grumpy Gibby is penned by Sandy the Hippy Hibby of old school fanzine fame.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2020, 10:11 AM
Grumpy Gibby is penned by Sandy the Hippy Hibby of old school fanzine fame.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Sandy MACNAIR the very felly

Loadypish anyweys :greengrin

Eyrie
16-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Sandy MACNAIR the very felly

Loadypish anyweys :greengrin

Always a must read.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Always a must read.

Yip!