PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Opportunity

hibby rae
13-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Might as well dredge up an old debate! :greengrin

Let's say, it is soon decided the 2019/20 season is done with. But this leaves a massive gap between now and the traditional start of the next season. Obviously a gap like this is financially worrying for clubs, some more than others, as they will wonder where the next input of revenue will begin.

So what if this became the right time to switch from winter to summer football in this country? :duck:

H18 SFR
13-03-2020, 06:40 PM
Simply, yes!

Smartie
13-03-2020, 06:41 PM

Let's say, it is soon decided the 2019/20 season is done with. But this leaves a massive gap between now and the traditional start of the next season. Obviously a gap like this is financially worrying for clubs, some more than others, as they will wonder where the next input of revenue will begin.

So what if this became the right time to switch from winter to summer football in this country? :duck:

Would that not need the season to start about now? Failing that, it would be about this time next year which might leave an unbearably long time without football.

It'll probably all just about have blown over by the start of next season - unless we play the rest of this season at the end of 2020 and start the new season of summer football in February or so of next year.

FWIW I'm very open to the idea of summer football. I think it would help our clubs in Europe, it would help us secure a better tv deal when there is less/ no football on the box over the summer and I simply enjoy the end and start of the seasons in the good weather much more than the freezing, howling wind, crap pitches and postponed matches nonsense we normally have to endure during a Scottish winter.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 07:16 PM
If they changed the world cup and euros to the winter, summer football would be be a goer.

AgentDaleCooper
13-03-2020, 07:34 PM
If they changed the world cup and euros to the winter, summer football would be be a goer.

That would probably rule out any major international tournament being played in northern europe, so i doubt uefa would let it happen.

tamig
13-03-2020, 07:38 PM
I thought the World Cup was to be in winter anyway so the season will need to change for that anyway. So why not change a season early? The Euros will be canned anyway.

Alfred E Newman
13-03-2020, 08:56 PM

No.

jacomo
13-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Personally I’m not up for summer football (not unless UEFA changed the entire calendar across Europe).

But that is another debate. I just do not see how starting a brand new league campaign straightaway solves any of the current issues?

As mentioned above, ‘summer football’ in reality means a season running March - October.

zitelli62
13-03-2020, 10:49 PM
Yes yes yes england cant do it because of cricket nothing stopping Scotland would also get a great tv deal as competitive football is better than friendlies.

Haymaker
13-03-2020, 10:50 PM
No.

This.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:29 PM
Nope.

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2020, 11:38 PM

The next World Cup is in winter so it’s already started.

davhibby
13-03-2020, 11:41 PM
We all moan about the weather in the winter months but the reality is we’d still be playing around the time that’s normally some of our worst weather(Feb/March) and you’re then playing through the months where people have more to do other than football. The season works well as it is, the only month of the year when Hibs don’t play is June so how would swapping that for December change anything much when we’d have to stop the domestic season for a month every 2 years when a tournament was on anyway

Haymaker
13-03-2020, 11:42 PM
Nope.

This.

joebakerforever
14-03-2020, 12:40 AM
No - cause domestic conflicts with Summer Holidays versus attending all home (& away for some) fixtures.

Reckon there would be a decrease in Season Ticket sales due to missing games for family holidays/foreign travel.

Waxy
14-03-2020, 06:26 AM
The next World Cup is in winter so it’s already started.

Its always winter somewhere.

macca70
14-03-2020, 07:18 AM
No - cause domestic conflicts with Summer Holidays versus attending all home (& away for some) fixtures.

Reckon there would be a decrease in Season Ticket sales due to missing games for family holidays/foreign travel.

If you go away for 2 weeks, you’d miss 1 home game, 2 max.

Folk still go away and have commitments August - May where they miss games too.

I think you’d attract more folk, much more appealing sitting in the warm watching a game in a t shirt than wrapped up in the dark, freezing, pouring with rain through the winter.

SquashedFrogg
14-03-2020, 07:27 AM

I think you’d attract more folk, much more appealing sitting in the warm watching a game in a t shirt than wrapped up in the dark, freezing, pouring with rain through the winter.

We always go away in August and often miss a game or so. Lighter nights, milder/warmer weather could only be a positive for football matches.

The recent Livi home game was brutal. Zero pleasure watching in those conditions.

MacGruber
14-03-2020, 07:30 AM
There might not be a next season. A vaccine is a long time away and not much will change until one is approved, tested and mass produced. Initially they were saying this would probably be a year to 18 months. The length of time not being finding a vaccine, they'll have one (in simple terms like the flu or anything else the vaccine is coronavirus diluted to a safe potency) but the testing for side effects etc on the strands they are creating. Another aspect is that for the greater good we need the virus to infect millions. This virus is out its box now, it's not going back. If it it gets shut down too quick we will have this situation over and over again. The whole thing is a horrible situation.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Would summer football not also be proposed by authorities to smooth curves of any future outbreaks of similar nature?

Joe6-2
14-03-2020, 07:57 AM

This, lots of people take they’re holidays in September and October

CapitalGreen
14-03-2020, 11:25 AM
I would love a switch to summer football.

jacomo
14-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Yes yes yes england cant do it because of cricket nothing stopping Scotland would also get a great tv deal as competitive football is better than friendlies.

Do existing summer football leagues get much better TV deals? I don’t think so.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2020, 12:25 PM
What has happened is a bit of a game changer and surely at this point everything is on the table. A lot of this will depend on exactly when games can be scheduled on a regular basis, which could be a long way off yet.

Depending on when that happens a summer league might not just be worth trying, it might be our only option ..... If that turns out to be the case how it works out would be interesting. From my POV I would rather watch fitba in 19 degrees than 4 degress and I would imagine a lot of folk are the same.

cabbageandribs1875
14-03-2020, 12:28 PM
summer footy = yes

i've reached a stage now where sitting in a plastic seat fighting the cold is simply not tempting me to attend most games

bigwheel
14-03-2020, 12:30 PM
I like the summer off from football..so many wonderful outdoor things to do in nicer weather ....so personally wouldn’t want it

Equally, I like being in line with the rhythm of the main leagues and tournaments across Europe ...

1 8 7 5
14-03-2020, 12:53 PM
There might not be a next season. A vaccine is a long time away and not much will change until one is approved, tested and mass produced. Initially they were saying this would probably be a year to 18 months. The length of time not being finding a vaccine, they'll have one (in simple terms like the flu or anything else the vaccine is coronavirus diluted to a safe potency) but the testing for side effects etc on the strands they are creating. Another aspect is that for the greater good we need the virus to infect millions. This virus is out its box now, it's not going back. If it it gets shut down too quick we will have this situation over and over again. The whole thing is a horrible situation.

You are correct in respect of the vaccine. There will almost certainly not be a vaccine any time soon (see zika etc), but simply put there is a tipping point where enough of the population will have antibodies as they will have had it. Then infection rates will drop. This will not go on and on. There is however a very very bumby 3 or 4 months ahead!