PDA

View Full Version : What would be the most acceptable way to conclude this season?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

G B Young
13-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Personally I don't see it resuming so I'd guess there's a very good chance it will ultiimately be declared null and void. As I've said on the virus thread, the BBC are reporting that the football authorities down south are privately admitting that trying to start up again in April will be "almost impossible".

Callum_62
13-03-2020, 11:06 AM
Be very interesting to see what they do

No qualms about giving cektic the titke

But hearts could still catch the others

Dundee utd skooshed championship so they will be in uproar if there's no promotion

Maybe no relegation and 2 up from championship
Play with 14 next year and 2 go down

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Kato
13-03-2020, 11:07 AM

Easy for you to say.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Just have to play into the summer to finish it.
Maybe shorten the league cup to straight knockout next season.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Leagues will resume one way or another, it’s too much of a legal minefield with English clubs losing millions for it to be any other way.

On one side it would be funny for a Liverpool not to be declared champions or Leeds to be denied promotion but on the other side it would be tremendous for hearts to get relegated.

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 11:11 AM
There's little point asking that on a partisan forum, but let's examine the options.

1. Void the entire season. Reinstate the same teams into next year's European competitions. This would disadvantage Dundee United and, to a lesser degree, Celtic. (They'd miss out on a title, United would miss out on promotion.)

2. Accept current league placings. Hearts would be disadvantaged because their chance of escaping relegation would be removed. Rangers wouldn't be happy, but their chance of winning the league is almost non-existent.

Are there other options?

If not, option 2 looks like the simplest.

Callum_62
When do. Player contracts run to? End of May?

Since452
I think it'll be back on in 2 or 3 weeks.

Doh Rae Me
13-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Euro 2020 postponed till 21, so summer football to maybe look forward to.

flash
13-03-2020, 11:13 AM

No chance whatsoever.

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 11:14 AM
I forgot about the extend the league option.

14 teams, with a split after the first round of home and away.

12 more games after the split then revert to 12 teams the following season. Bottom 3 relegated, winners of the Championship promoted.

That's got to be a possibility although the 3 teams relegated issue wouldn't be popular and I don't think there's any mood for a permanent 14 team league.

The 90+2
When do. Player contracts run to? End of May?

End of June usually.

Hibs4185
It has to be declared as it stands. It would be different if the season was only half way through.

Both premier leagues have clear leaders and heavy favourites.

Positions as stand is the only common sense approach I think

DH1875
13-03-2020, 11:15 AM

No chance. Virus will have spread ten fold by then.

Spike Mandela
13-03-2020, 11:15 AM
Do whatever benefits Rangers. That’s their normal go to option.

DH1875
13-03-2020, 11:16 AM
It has to be declared as it stands. It would be different if the season was only half way through.

What about relegation though?

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:17 AM

15th to 19th down south are separated by 4 points. I think they may have something to say about that. Villa also have played less.

hfc rd
13-03-2020, 11:18 AM

No chance.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Finish it properly even if it is in 2 months time. Every team in same boat so 2/3 games a week could see it only take 3 or 4 weeks to conclude.

Even if 1st of May could have the league games played in 3 week period have play offs and still continue scottish cup into June. Any players contracts ending before then can if required and agreed be extended to new end of season. Start next season bit later no winter break truncate League cup. It will 100% not be concluded as it stands or be voided not a chance at all.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 11:20 AM
If it is back in a few weeks, surely the split will be cancelled and just the remaining three games played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
13-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Not on your nelly. I think null and void is what will happen. Typical Jambo luck but there we go

J-C
13-03-2020, 11:22 AM
We have to wait a month or so, hopefully by then the virus will have seen a cure and hopefully it will get less due to warmer weather, lets see where we stand in 4-6 weeks, if by then it's the same, then call it null and void.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:23 AM
If it is back in a few weeks, surely the split will be cancelled and just the remaining three games played?

If that was the case you would have to feel sorry for clubs like Motherwell who have probably budgeted for next season based on top six matches this year and another visit from the bigots. I’m not sure how many clubs would be able to afford just to shut the season down tbh.

DH1875
13-03-2020, 11:24 AM
15th to 19th down south are separated by 4 points. I think they may have something to say about that. Villa also have played less.

Hearts ate only 4 points off Hamilton.

I've posted this before but while there is a 13 point difference at the the top of league the rangers could argue that with 2 oldfirm games and a game in hand that could be a possible 9 points leaving only a 4 point gap at the top. It's stretching it I know but stops celtic being given the title.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:25 AM
You can play 9 games over 3 weeks not that big a deal if every club is doing it then no advantage. Maybe if things improve to a point and all agreed 1 game behind closed doors to lessen burden. After the lay off.

PeeJay
13-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Voted null and void - seems obvious to me that football's over for this season to start with and, depending on how events develop, it may be a while before we get back to "normal": it's irrelevant really, more important issues to deal with IMO.

There will be no cure in a few weeks and the warm weather will not make it go away, this will get worse before it gets better - we may well need a couple of years to get this fixed??

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:26 AM

I've posted this before but while there is a 13 point difference at the the top of league the rangers could argue that with 2 oldfirm games and a game in hand that could be a possible 9 points leaving only a 4 point gap at the top. It's stretching it I know but stops celtic being given the title.

We will undoubtedly take the same action England take and there’s no way I can see them voiding the league. There’s arguments all over the place as to what could happen, clubs could also fold because of this.

Helensburghhibs
13-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Expand the league. Promote top 2 in championship, no relegation.

WhileTheChief..
13-03-2020, 11:27 AM
It will be null and void with the Hearts escaping relegation and Utd being stuck in the Championship another year.

Sucks.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Voted null and void - seems obvious to me that football's over for this season to start with and, depending on how events develop, it may be a while before we get back to "normal": it's irrelevant really, more important issues to deal with IMO.

There will be no cure in a few weeks and the warm weather will not make it go away, this will get worse before it gets better - we may well need a couple of years to get this fixed??

Players still need to get paid contracts, they don’t just become unemployed if the season ends. How to clubs manage this without it impacting them on a long term basis?

Jones28
13-03-2020, 11:28 AM

That’s when things are supposed to really take hold. Absolutely no chance.

We’ve played more than 3/4s of the season, imo that should mean the league standings are as they are.

However what I think they’ll do is promote 2 and relegate 2 next season.

makaveli1875
13-03-2020, 11:30 AM
As it stands . Celtic win the league , Hertz go doon and no Europe for us . Nobody was going to catch Celtic anyway , our chance of 4th was slim and Hertz were never going to catch Hamilton

Same for championship , nobody was going to catch United . They can do the playoffs before the season starts

puff the dragon
13-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Everyone needs to calm down - social media hysteria.

By the time it gets to April contain and delay will be pointless - if you're going to get it your going to get it so life will get started again.

If you've got it you'll be in bed, the hospitals will have major issues and those in the danger groups will need to take some self responsibility - but that won't stop 22 healthy men kicking a ball and anyone who wants to watch them from going to watch them. The risk is theirs to take, climb the walls in lock down or get on with things.

Everyone so woke.

All back April 3rd - euros in 2021 - season done and dusted 30th June - hearts down

CloudSquall
13-03-2020, 11:31 AM
UTD will go tonto if they are kept in the Championship another year.

14 team league probably results in the fewest toys out the pram but then there would be an argument over the 2nd team coming up, Dundee etc would probably argue they were denied the play offs.

Edit: I do think we'll be back up and running in April.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:32 AM
It will only be decvalred anything if we are still in this situation in July when time starts to run into what would be new season. A decsion does not need to be made on what happens i believe until May up here.

With 9 games left 2 cup games Hearts or say Hamilton will have 9 games plus play offs or if hearts in play off looking at max 11/12 games for 1 or 2 clubs. Easy to fulifil this in 4/5 week period. Not a chance the season will be voided or decision made until the situation is made clear.

PH91
13-03-2020, 11:32 AM

You are only considering 2 leagues. There are lots of leagues across the uk affected.

There is absolutely no chance that current standings will apply imo. 2 options are
1. The end of the season is played at a later date. Transfer windows are moved accordingly. It is accepted that players whose contracts expire can move to new clubs.
2. Declare the season null and void.

I can only see 2 happening over 1 if the delay becomes a very long time i.e. well beyond the summer.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:34 AM
That’s when things are supposed to really take hold. Absolutely no chance.

We’ve played more than 3/4s of the season, imo that should mean the league standings are as they are.

However what I think they’ll do is promote 2 and relegate 2 next season.

You try telling the clubs in the league below that there’s an 8 team league next season, or ten with four coming up from the league below while all games this season have stopped, the two biggest clubs are away up to the league above and there’s no relegation when one of the country’s biggest clubs are in bottom spot and would help financially to these teams that are about to face catastrophic financial implications.

Diclonius
13-03-2020, 11:35 AM
This may finally be what forces league reconstruction.

theonlywayisup
13-03-2020, 11:35 AM
I voted 'Other'.

In Scotland, I think we should try and complete the games that will have a bearing on the 'big' decisions - i.e. winners, losers, play-off places. To do this, it'll having to mean postponing the International games and trying to play the league games before the end of June, if possible. I would also say that if it's impossible to do the above before the end of June, then the winners & losers are based on current positions and the season ends prematurely. This decision would have to be communicated now. However, I assume that this could be subject to legal challenge.

In the SPFL, I would stop the games before the split and not have teams playing, for many, meaningless games

I would move the Scottish Cup to a 'weekend' at some point in the future, both semi-finals being played on Thursday nights with the Final on the Sunday.

UEFA will also need to think about the early rounds of European qualification, as leagues won't know who's qualified until much later in the season.

To sum it all up, it's a mess.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:36 AM
You are only considering 2 leagues. There are lots of leagues across the uk affected.

There is absolutely no chance that current standings will apply imo. 2 options are
1. The end of the season is played at a later date. Transfer windows are moved accordingly. It is accepted that players whose contracts expire can move to new clubs.
2. Declare the season null and void.

I can only see 2 happening over 1 if the delay becomes a very long time i.e. well beyond the summer.

Correct IMO I really do not see 2 happening unless as you say there is a major delay, IMO I think there will not be. I think we will be looking at more normality in 3/4 weeks and this does not go the way many are predicting on here, IMO of course.

The 90+2

14 team league probably results in the fewest toys out the pram but then there would be an argument over the 2nd team coming up, Dundee etc would probably argue they were denied the play offs.

As I’ve said that’s only fewest toys out the pram for this league, what about all the leagues below and how they would be financially hit? 2 teams come up from the highlands/lowland league next season to cover this with mass relegation next season to get it back to normal?

DH1875

By the time it gets to April contain and delay will be pointless - if you're going to get it your going to get it so life will get started again.

If you've got it you'll be in bed, the hospitals will have major issues and those in the danger groups will need to take some self responsibility - but that won't stop 22 healthy men kicking a ball and anyone who wants to watch them from going to watch them. The risk is theirs to take, climb the walls in lock down or get on with things.

Everyone so woke.

All back April 3rd - euros in 2021 - season done and dusted 30th June - hearts down

Your presuming that every club will have fit and healthy players though. One player in one club and the whole thing is screwed.

Callum_62
13-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Everyone so woke.

Have a read at what's happening in Italy if you think this is hysteria

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 11:37 AM

The reason we don’t have a 14 team league is that it means less money for every club. I can’t see them voting for that.

PeeJay
13-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Players still need to get paid contracts, they don’t just become unemployed if the season ends. How to clubs manage this without it impacting them on a long term basis?

Fair point - I've no idea - some clubs may go to the wall, some companies will be doing so, this affects people in all walks of life - the economic impacts will be felt everywhere ...

puff the dragon
13-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Your presuming that every club will have fit and healthy players though. One player in one club and the whole thing is screwed.

Won't matter as we won't be trying to contain anymore

lyonhibs
13-03-2020, 11:42 AM

Everyone so woke.

I suspect you're being intentionally obtuse/dumb but I'm very glad you aren't in charge of - hopefully - anything meaningful whatsoever as far as running the country goes.

Fisherrow Harp
13-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Bring the Tennent's 6s back and finish the league like that in the summer 😜👍

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Bring the Tennent's 6s back and finish the league like that in the summer 😜👍

I’ve heard worse suggestions tbf.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Fair point - I've no idea - some clubs may go to the wall, some companies will be doing so, this affects people in all walks of life - the economic impacts will be felt everywhere ...

True. That’s my basis of not voiding the season and do as much as they can to keep it going for as long as it takes and doing whatever it takes -like cancelling the Euros.

Phil MaGlass
13-03-2020, 11:46 AM
You can play 9 games over 3 weeks not that big a deal if every club is doing it then no advantage. Maybe if things improve to a point and all agreed 1 game behind closed doors to lessen burden. After the lay off.

Apart from teams that have bigger squads

Jim44
13-03-2020, 11:48 AM
I voted for option two, mainly to have a dig at Hearts, but I’m certain they will declare the season null and void. The SPFL and SFA will see the financial benefits of keeping Hearts in the Scottish Premiership. Dundee United and Rangers will be up in arms but that’s how the cookie crumbles.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Only the clubs it suits to cancel will go on about cancelling.
Just not an option. Its ok to start a new season but not ok to finish a nearly finished old season? Senseless.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Apart from teams that have bigger squads

That is always an advantage. No scenario will be perfect.

stantonhibby
13-03-2020, 11:53 AM
I voted for option two, mainly to have a dig at Hearts, but I’m certain they will declare the season null and void. The SPFL and SFA will see the financial benefits of keeping Hearts in the Scottish Premiership. Dundee United and Rangers will be up in arms but that’s how the cookie crumbles.

Surely in this scenario Rangers will be delighted?

Since452
13-03-2020, 11:55 AM
Wait a few weeks then finish the season behind closed doors if necessary

G B Young
13-03-2020, 11:59 AM

And what are players to do over the next few weeks/months? Keep training and hope nobody gets ill? As the virus spreads it's more likely they'll be told to stay at home. If the season were ever to get back under way there's surely no way players will be fully match fit after such a long lay-off.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 12:00 PM
The league should be declared as it stands with Celtic winners and Hearts automatically relegated. Hamilton and Inverness either flip a coin or even contest a stand alone penalty shoot out to decide the other. Dish out the prize money soon to help the clubs get through this.

:aok:

greenlad
13-03-2020, 12:01 PM
If we can get started in July/August again then fine. 2 games a week enables the season to be finished in a month and everybody's in the same boat. Gentlemen's agreement that transfer window doesn't kick in until the season is finished.

Immediate start to next season say in September. Scrap the League Cup and winter break. Midweek games as far as neccessary. UEFA to play ball and reduce the Euro comps down to two legged ties all the way for one season only.

G B Young
13-03-2020, 12:01 PM
It will be null and void with the Hearts escaping relegation and Utd being stuck in the Championship another year.

Sucks.

I guess in that scenario there would be some satisfaction in being able to remind Hearts at every opportunity that they should have gone down.

makaveli1875
13-03-2020, 12:03 PM
It could present an opportunity to switch to summer football. Time it to have the last league games in November then cup final . Close season till February and Roberts your fathers brother

Jim44
13-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Surely in this scenario Rangers will be delighted?

I think a lot of ra peepul still see the possibility of catching Celtic.

Spike Mandela
13-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Euro 2020 will be postponed one year freeing up summer fixture space for this season’s fixtures to be completed, if the virus is under control.

truehibernian
13-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Not sure they will declare things null and void given other sports - when certain circumstances occur where the fixture is suspended/stopped - go to score cards or where current standings are (e.g. boxing goes to score cards, Formula 1 goes to current standings in a race, etc. after certain rounds or laps have been completed).

Can't see any football being played for at least a few months. Be a thankless task making any sort of sporting decision either way. Health and trying to ease the strain on health services comes first always though, the correct decision has been made :aok:

Waxy
13-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Wait a few weeks then finish the season behind closed doors if necessary

Its the best way to go.

SetonClapper
13-03-2020, 12:15 PM
I think Euro2020 will be rescheduled to 2021 and they'll attempt to utilise the summer to complete the season, but whether there is a likelihood of Corona virus come under control in that timeline is another matter, but it will give them a buffer.

douglashibs
13-03-2020, 12:15 PM
I think the postponement is premature. This weekend’s round of fixtures could have gone ahead and perhaps several issues would have become clearer. Then reassess, perhaps looking to play only those fixtures with a bearing on titles, relegation etc., behind closed doors if necessary.

Caversham Green
13-03-2020, 12:16 PM
I think declaring it null and void should be the last resort. Hearts are the only club that would benefit from it and that's just wrong.

If possible they should try to complete the season, if necessary cancel the League Cup group fixture and shuffle next year's league fixtures down the road a bit. Just accept that transfer windows etc are going to skew things a bit.

If that's not feasible try to complete the fixtures up to the split either behind closed doors or later in the year and take that as the final standings - at least every team will have played every other team the same amount of times.

ionahibby
13-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Will be interesting to see what they do about the Scottish cup semi if that doesn’t go ahead?

Liberal Hibby
13-03-2020, 12:27 PM
I think declaring it null and void should be the last resort. Hearts are the only club that would benefit from it and that's just wrong.

If possible they should try to complete the season, if necessary cancel the League Cup group fixture and shuffle next year's league fixtures down the road a bit. Just accept that transfer windows etc are going to skew things a bit.

If that's not feasible try to complete the fixtures up to the split either behind closed doors or later in the year and take that as the final standings - at least every team will have played every other team the same amount of times.

I think that's right. Shifting the Euro championship to next year and starting the 20/21 season a month later may give enough time to complete the league season (with some closed doors games probably too). I suspect this year's cup may go for a burton - it's easier to void it than a 38 game league (they could also void next season's league cup too as it's the least important trophy) and it's the one Europe wide that determins the vast majority of European football placings for next season.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Will be interesting to see what they do about the Scottish cup semi if that doesn’t go ahead?

No need to play this until fans are ok to watch. Even it takes till june/july

Callum_62
13-03-2020, 12:31 PM
If the seasons extended and folk are out of.contract end of June.....

EAZY-ME
13-03-2020, 12:32 PM
I think if the season gets cancelled then it should stand the way it is... Celtic champions hearts relegated and so on and so forth.....the semis could be played in the summer

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 12:33 PM
There is no way they can make it null and void.

Too many legal cases would take place.

Does that mean league cup winner don’t count?

They have to play the fixtures even if it’s delayed.

Too many teams have managers / players on certain contracts and have invested for this season.

The issue I see is contracted players..insurance..so they play or do clubs agree to extend it till seasons end??

Pre contract players also..

Even lower leagues like lowland league need concluded.

Mens Euros will be next summer and schedule frantically rearranged. The women’s Euros is meant to be next summer in France also though.

Pre-season is going to be very short too especially with Europa league qualifiers.

With World Cup in Qatar being played in winter then may find a way to reschedule domestic leagues to suit that a year early.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 12:35 PM

If the season is null and void then no prize money gets given out at all. Who’s going to vote for that?

Andy74
13-03-2020, 12:38 PM
Play to the split then you have a winner and Hearts down.

Not having the play offs wouldn’t be popular for teams in those positions though.

Keith_M
13-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Declaring the season Null and Void would suit two teams, Der Hun and their wee Edinburgh cousins.

For that reason alone, this should not even be considered.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Moving to a 14 team league would be against rules as well. All league re construction needs one year notice.

KingPat4
13-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Finish as it stands. We are more than seven months into the season, you can't just write it all off, as if it never happened.

:coffee:

Topographic Hibby
13-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Not having the play offs wouldn’t be popular for teams in those positions though.The split might be the best target. Only 3 more games (plus some games in hand), even behind close doors/PPV if need be. Other finish points don't seem that plausible, TBH.

Lawyers must be rubbing their hands at the potential legal challenges from Hearts/Rangers/DUFC or whoever, whatever the decision is. Even more so in other Leagues and competitions.

ScottB
13-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Ideally we can get going again, and complete the season during the summer.

If that’s not an option then we’ve played more than enough to just call it and move on. Depends exactly what’s in the rule book as to whether that can actually happen though.

The issue of income and clubs facing problems is apparently being raised at Holyrood this afternoon also...

hibbyfraelibby
13-03-2020, 12:56 PM
We are just a few (3?) behind closed doors matches away from the Premier having played three full rounds of fixtures. Get to that in an 8 day period. No split league done.

Championship L1 and L2 already done three rounds. Go back to game week 27 position. Standings count. Play-offs behind closed doors. Sorted.

Dmas
13-03-2020, 01:00 PM

Not having the play offs wouldn’t be popular for teams in those positions though.

That’s what I think, next week play Saturday Wednesday Saturday that’s us at 33 games everyone played 3 times league places stand 1 down 1 up.

Scottish cup either scrapped or the following weekend sees both semis, final on the following sat

Maybe have to play the league games closed doors clubs could invite donations from supporters who would have went to the home games tohelp cover costs?

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 01:02 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200313/130e1a2fd1758e84fd2fa6a1aee18053.jpg

Waxy
13-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Get it done next week 3 games in a week.
No split.
Play the cup in the summer when fans can attend.

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 01:06 PM
What would they do if war had been declared?

In 1939, the season was suspended after a mere 5 games.

I think Rangers were crowned as champions and Cowdenbeath relegated.

Can anyone confirm?

Ozyhibby
Get it done next week 3 games in a week.
No split.
Play the cup in the summer when fans can attend.

You do know we have suspended football?

GreenNWhiteArmy
Review the situation mid april. a lot can happen between now and then. Right decision has finally been taken. We need to look at shutting schools down for now too.

Every club will have their lawyers on speed dial just now. We've completed 79% of the season. My opinion is that we cannot annul considering we have come so far. Other sports have methods to determine outcomes if unable to proceed (Boxing, cricket)

Football is now on the back burner for me. As is my wedding (scheduled for late June in Italy), family/friends/neighbours become the priority and ensuring those that need care or support, get that.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 01:12 PM
https://twitter.com/clydessb/status/1238463001952477185?s=21

Hillsidehibby
13-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Review the situation mid april. a lot can happen between now and then. Right decision has finally been taken. We need to look at shutting schools down for now too.

Every club will have their lawyers on speed dial just now. We've completed 79% of the season. My opinion is that we cannot annul considering we have come so far. Other sports have methods to determine outcomes if unable to proceed (Boxing, cricket)

Football is now on the back burner for me. As is my wedding (scheduled for late June in Italy), family/friends/neighbours become the priority and ensuring those that need care or support, get that.

Every cloud :wink:

hibbyfraelibby
13-03-2020, 01:17 PM
Is there not a rule in football that clubs cannot take their association to court and must go through the Court for Arbitration in Sport? In those circumstance the word Arbitration is critical...its not about right or wrong but what is acceptable.

1875M
13-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Virus will be even more widespread then. No chance. Don’t think we’ll see any football for a while folks.

13-03-2020, 01:20 PM
I've just checkedb and I'm right.

Rangers include the 1939/40 season in their list of championships.

Only 5 games were played before the league was suspended because of WWII.

The precedent has been set.

Not strictly true - the 39/40 season was split into regional league one of which Rangers won. They then beat Falkirk the other winner in a play off.

heretoday
13-03-2020, 01:25 PM
Scrap the season. I'm fed up with football anyway.

Box 17
13-03-2020, 01:27 PM
Moving to a 14 team league would be against rules as well. All league re construction needs one year notice.

This is an exceptional situation so if that is the way they wanted to go they would do it.

That said, there must be a rule somewhere in the SFA/SPFL that covers situations like this.

ElginHibbie
13-03-2020, 01:27 PM
I just checked the Rangers' own website. 39 is definitely there.

It was suspended after 5 games.

That the 38/39 season no?

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 01:28 PM
That the 38/39 season no?

Bugger, you're right.

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2020, 01:29 PM
This is an exceptional situation so if that is the way they wanted to go they would do it.

That said, there must be a rule somewhere in the SFA/SPFL that covers situations like this.

I’m not sure the rule book covers situations like this - if it does well done to them.

At best I’d expect there to be a “at the managers discretion” type line to cover a lot of bases.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 01:30 PM
You do know we have suspended football?

Yes. With a time limit which could restart anytime.

Golden Bear
13-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Be very interesting to see what they do

But hearts could still catch the others

Dundee utd skooshed championship so they will be in uproar if there's no promotion

Maybe no relegation and 2 up from championship
Play with 14 next year and 2 go down

That sounds reasonable so its doomed to fail.

Heisenberg
13-03-2020, 01:34 PM
ICT player in isolation after showing symptoms.

ElginHibbie
13-03-2020, 01:34 PM
39/40

The way they have it listed is the year the season ended, the 1939 100% refers to the 1938/39 season

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 01:35 PM
The way they have it listed is the year the season ended, the 1939 100% refers to the 1938/39 season

Yeah, I got excited for no reason. :greengrin

ElginHibbie
13-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Bugger, you're right.

I do wish I was wrong though!

Box 17
13-03-2020, 01:37 PM
I’m not sure the rule book covers situations like this - if it does well done to them.

At best I’d expect there to be a “at the managers discretion” type line to cover a lot of bases.

I wasn't suggesting there was anything specific to Covid 19 in the rulebook, but something that covered the non-completion of league fixtures, for whatever reason.

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Not strictly true - the 39/40 season was split into regional league one of which Rangers won. They then beat Falkirk the other winner in a play off.

Aye, Wiki misled me.

They're not claiming 39/40 unfortunately.

I'm deleting my overly optimistic posts to stop others getting disappointed.

truehibernian
13-03-2020, 01:39 PM

Sucks.

Far too many legal challenges and ramifications with that one.

Games will be played closed doors I reckon - the situation is all about containment. Vast crowds are what they are trying to avoid. Sensible solution is to play games behind closed doors and under strict (medical) conditions. That's the way I see it being panned out. The difficulty that will arise is if teams have a player or players affected which is a real possibility. Then it's anyone's guess where they go.

8 games could be played in three weeks. Teams could stream via their club channels and fans could pay / season ticket holders get free access. The cup may have be declared void however.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Far too many legal challenges and ramifications with that one.

Games will be played closed doors I reckon - the situation is all about containment. Vast crowds are what they are trying to avoid. Sensible solution is to play games behind closed doors and under strict (medical) conditions. That's the way I see it being panned out. The difficulty that will arise is if teams have a player or players affected which is a real possibility. Then it's anyone's guess where they go.

8 games could be played in three weeks. Teams could stream via their club channels and fans could pay / season ticket holders get free access. The cup may have be declared void however.

I think the split is definitely gone now. It will be three games tops.

ElginHibbie
13-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Anyway to see what table was like after 22 games? If unable to play anymore games rolling back to as it was after everyone playing each other twice might the be easiest way to do it...

...and Hearts would still be bottom :)

Sudds_1
13-03-2020, 01:45 PM
If the season IS voided...
Season tickets?

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Anyway to see what table was like after 22 games? If unable to play anymore games rolling back to as it was after everyone playing each other twice might the be easiest way to do it...

That would do it 👍

dmc1875
13-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Pretty much no chance it will be null and void, that would cause way too many issues and outcry. The season will have to be finished somehow whether it’s behind closed doors or not.

I’d expect the euros to be postponed and they’ll try and fulfil fixtures over June and July

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Pretty much no chance it will be null and void, that would cause way too many issues and outcry. The season will have to be finished somehow whether it’s behind closed doors or not.

I’d expect the euros to be postponed and they’ll try and fulfil fixtures over June and July

Players contracts run out in May.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 01:59 PM
I can’t see them making the Scottish Cup void / null either - will just be delayed.

Celtic for example could get the quadruple treble. Do you just take back all prize money ?

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Just play it over summer. Euros is obviously going to be off so plenty time.

Not So Young
13-03-2020, 02:00 PM
I voted null and void

Players contracts and pre contract agreements would be a minefield and I can't see why you would accept the league being awarded in an incomplete competition but not the cup in another incomplete competition.

Teams that were in Europe this season go into next seasons competitions

I like the 14 team league idea with two up with a split after first two rounds of games

badabing67
13-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Voted other but did not see a place to put my reason

Essentially i do want to complete the season "Attempt to restart it at a later date if at all possible."

What i am getting at is, this could be an excellent opportunity to switch to summer football, if the season can be completed at or by the end of 2020, including the cup competition. It is likely next season 2020/2021 will have a winter break, so instead of returning from the winter break it would or could be an excellent opportunity to start a completely new season. Switch to summer footie. If the Scottish leagues done this i think it could bring a number of benefits to the clubs and the fans.

For example. It could be argued that the league could negotiate improved TV rights as for a large part of a summer season the main European leagues are closed so there is reduced competition to watch football on TV.

It could be the end of plastic pitches in Scottish football

Outside the Old Firm Scottish clubs performance's in Euro competitions has been shocking, we effective struggle against clubs who's national leagues actually play summer football. I think it would be of benefit to our clubs outside the Old Firm to progress in Euro competition

Much better weather conditions for fans to watch football in stadiums. Perhaps warmer weather would increase attendances

I'm sure there are plenty pro's and con's switching to summer footie i just thought i'd put it out there

Personally i'd do it at the drop of a hat. :wink:

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Just play it over summer. Euros is obviously going to be off so plenty time.

What about the players whose contracts end on 1 June?

RoxburghHibs
13-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Virus will be even more widespread then. No chance. Don’t think we’ll see any football for a while folks.

The peak of the virus infections is expected in 3/4 weeks from now. So I would expect things will start to improve from early April onwards. However I'd be surprised if we see another match with spectators before mid/late April.

Irish_Steve
13-03-2020, 03:00 PM
I voted "Other" too but there wasn`t any where to post my comment

I think once/if football starts again, we should play to the split and then those would be the final standings

But in truth, I don`t think any of us have a scooby as to what will happen

Haymaker
13-03-2020, 03:04 PM
What about the players whose contracts end on 1 June?

Emergency one month extentions offered to anyone out of contract?

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Emergency one month extentions offered to anyone out of contract?

And if they're not accepted?

Haymaker
13-03-2020, 03:16 PM
And if they're not accepted?

Then I guess you play without those players? Not much else you can do if they say play on after June 1st.

Barney McGrew
13-03-2020, 03:20 PM

After round 22, Hertz were bottom. Celtic were top with a two point lead over the Rangers but there was one outstanding fixture - Rangers v St Johnstone, which has still to be played.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Then I guess you play without those players? Not much else you can do if they say play on after June 1st.

PFA will be against running the season into the summer.

ElginHibbie
13-03-2020, 03:32 PM
After round 22, Hertz were bottom. Celtic were top with a two point lead over the Rangers but there was one outstanding fixture - Rangers v St Johnstone, which has still to be played.

Legal minefield as well then

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 03:36 PM
On radio talking about making next season shorter .. or even playing some games at start of next season if needed to conclude...not sure that’s a good idea.

Supposedly West Ham need to finish home games before May as stadium is needed too.

Monts
13-03-2020, 03:47 PM
How far through a game of football do you have to get through for the result to stand?

Haymaker
13-03-2020, 03:48 PM
PFA will be against running the season into the summer.

No matter what the decision, someone will be against it.

It's a nightmare scenario

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 03:50 PM
On radio talking about making best season shorter .. or even playing some games at start of next season if needed to conclude...not sure that’s a good idea.

Supposedly West Ham need to finish home games before May as stadium is needed too.

Who goes into European competitions, which start in July, if we are still playing this season in August?

Waxy
13-03-2020, 03:53 PM
Can see us follow whatever England does. Same government/legalities and the like.

Joe6-2
13-03-2020, 03:59 PM

I agree, and not just because of the jumbos situation

Honest

13-03-2020, 04:01 PM
There's little point asking that on a partisan forum, but let's examine the options.

1. Void the entire season. Reinstate the same teams into next year's European competitions. This would disadvantage Dundee United and, to a lesser degree, Celtic. (They'd miss out on a title, United would miss out on promotion.)

2. Accept current league placings. Hearts would be disadvantaged because their chance of escaping relegation would be removed. Rangers wouldn't be happy, but their chance of winning the league is almost non-existent.

Are there other options?

If not, option 2 looks like the simplest.

Other option is to play games behind closed doors.

Could possibly have all the matches televised live or via the likes of Hibs TV without the UK live Sat 3pm broadcast ban.

hibee-boys
13-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Finish the season in the summer basking in glorious sunshine, taps aff, sipping on Ron's new chilled pints of American lager😎

pontius pilate
13-03-2020, 04:15 PM
I'd say because the season is 75% done for me ot has to be league placing as is, could you imagine the uproar down south in all the leagues where the leaders have such a big gap and not declared champions, yes there are playoff places tbd so maybe do a pools like scenario, relegation as is as well

Keith_M
13-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Finish the season in the summer basking in glorious sunshine, taps aff, sipping on Ron's new chilled pints of American lager😎

Spanish Beer, surely?

😉

04Sauzee
13-03-2020, 04:19 PM
If the season IS voided...
Season tickets?

Who gets European places assuming there will be European football next season?

ballengeich
13-03-2020, 04:30 PM
Expand the league. Promote top 2 in championship, no relegation.

with what playing schedule next season and do what with the lower divisions? The SPFL has to think about more than just the premier division and current season.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 04:38 PM
It’s simply extend league or cancel it soon.

As I’ve said above I just can’t seen them cancelling or shortening it. That would be mental and would annoy so many fans and longer term clubs would lose fans / lose interest in football.

They will have to reschedule everything else in future and clubs will just have to adapt and have less of a break.

I’m glad we aren’t in Hearts position as weeks more of uncertainty won’t be ideal being stuck at the bottom.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 04:43 PM
Players will need to keep training but hey ho.
Workers must keep working. The world will never stop turning.

Moulin Yarns
13-03-2020, 04:46 PM
How far through a game of football do you have to get through for the result to stand?

Older fans will remember a game at celtc that was abandoned because of fog with 2 minutes left, score was 1-1. Game was replayed in entirety and they won 2-0.

Moulin Yarns
13-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Players will need to keep training but hey ho.
Workers must keep working. The world will never stop turning.

Unless it's flat? 😉

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Older fans will remember a game at celtc that was abandoned because of fog with 2 minutes left, score was 1-1. Game was replayed in entirety and they won 2-0.

It was the other way around.

Hibs were winning 0-2 when Celtic fans invaded the pitch. The game was abandoned shortly after because of the fog.

The rescheduled game ended 1-1.

stantonhibby
13-03-2020, 04:51 PM

Other way round... we were winning 0-2 hence the abandonment

Moulin Yarns
13-03-2020, 04:52 PM
It was the other way around.

Hibs were winning 0-2 when Celtic fans invaded the pitch. The game was abandoned shortly after because of the fog.

The rescheduled game ended 1-1.

It's an age thing 😉

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2020, 04:53 PM

We were winning 2-0, the replay was 1-1.:rolleyes:

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Could Hearts now be the club that has spent the longest time ever bottom of league?

pollution
13-03-2020, 05:10 PM
Will we not have to wait to see if the Euro competition is to go ahead first? Then we can re arrange the fixtures.

With the peak of the virus predicted to be in May/June I cannot see the UK being one of the hosts any more.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Big Raman on the STV saying the SPFL possibly to decide to end the season in current positions but there’s no plans at all to void the leagues.

Brummie_Hibs
13-03-2020, 05:12 PM
My tuppence worth..

Uefa to agree that all leagues restart on a certain date (let's say May). Season ends in the summer after games are complete.

Next season begins in about September/October.

All local Cup competitions (Scottish Cup, League Cups, FA Cup, etc) are scrapped for season 20/21 to free up dates to complete league fixtures.

Problems: Player contracts, cup sponsorships and lower tier teams money made from cups.

Uefa might need to distribute some cash to save a few clubs instead of to bungs in the next xt year or so...

Player contracts won't be resolved.

shetlandhibee
13-03-2020, 05:28 PM
No chance. Virus will have spread ten fold by then.
yip at least 10 fold :agree::top marks

Hibeesmad
13-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Big Raman on the STV saying the SPFL possibly to decide to end the season in current positions but there’s no plans at all to void the leagues.

If Celtic are handed the title then Hearts must also be relegated.

SquashedFrogg
13-03-2020, 05:34 PM

Think it's a sensible decision.

I'll be gutted if yams go down but they'll be doing it for the greater good to the nations health.

The Harp Awakes
13-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Can see us follow whatever England does. Same government/legalities and the like.

In that case, there is no chance of the Premier League been declared null and void with Liverpool a few games away from skooshing it.

Brummie_Hibs
13-03-2020, 05:35 PM
If Celtic are handed the title then Hearts must also be relegated.
This is going to a big test for the lodge.

A chance to save big Huns and little huns.

wookie70
13-03-2020, 05:36 PM
You have to finish the season even if it eats into next season imo. The cup can be cancelled. The League Cup cancelled or shortened and next season's games reduced in number if needed. I don't think it is fair to declare champions or relegate/promote teams when there are more than 1 outcome. There will also me quite a few quid in bets, sponsorship, players bonuses etc riding on the final positions. Go for the most fair way even if it won't be perfect

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 05:44 PM
Think it's a sensible decision.

I'll be gutted if yams go down but they'll be doing it for the greater good to the nations health.

When you put it like that.

Thanks hearts, won the world war now helping the greater good with this. Truly humbled.

We won the world war
And we took going doon
we’ll take relegation and we might see you soon.

13-03-2020, 05:55 PM
If I have paid to watch hibs for 3/4 of a season I’d prefer i didn’t completely ***** my money and time up the wall and for the results to stand.

If the season is declared “void” I’ll be claiming money back from hibs. Not to get the money back, but as a means of lobbying them to ensure the results so far remain valid.

emerald green
13-03-2020, 05:56 PM
It would be a complete injustice for teams like Dundee Utd in Scotland not to be promoted if the leagues were just left as they are now and relegation and promotion basically binned.

In England, it would cost clubs like Leeds Utd and WBA, for example, about £120m each if they were denied promotion to the riches of the Premier League. No way would they stand for that. Lawyers would be involved.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 05:57 PM
If I have paid to watch hibs for 3/4 of a season I’d prefer i didn’t completely ***** my money and time up the wall and for the results to stand.

If the season is declared “void” I’ll be claiming money back from hibs. Not to get the money back, but as a means of lobbying them to ensure the results so far remain valid.

Good point. “Season card” is for the season 2019/2020 void the season get the money back. That would happen all over the world.

MagicSwirlingShip
13-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Good point. “Season card” is for the season 2019/2020 void the season get the money back. That would happen all over the world.

And many clubs would fold

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 06:00 PM

Which is why there will be no voiding going on.

Hibernianinc
13-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Scotland has 10 rounds of fixtures including cup SF and Final.

Assume Euro 20 postponed to 21, you could re-start the season on 30 May (external conditions permitting) and run w/e & mid-week games back to back and be all done by July.

Most other leagues will be in a similar space, so perhaps the option to declare anything null waits until much later on.....

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 06:02 PM
And many clubs would fold

That’s why they won’t do it.

Hibs90
13-03-2020, 06:03 PM
The season should end and positions as they stand. - Sevco, Hearts etc will moan
Season null and void - Celtic, Dundee United, Playoff positions etc will moan
Season continued in the summer -players out of contract etc

I don't think they can win either way but the most sensible option is to end it as is and declare Celtic champions, Hearts relegated, playoffs scrapped and teams finishing in those playoff positions compensated in terms of potential gate money.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Which is why there will be no voiding going on.

Yep, they done it back in the war days (not sure if it was the one hearts won on their own). How many season ticket holders was there back then? How many tv companies paid millions for a season?

BT just going to go, “oh well season void, we paid for Scottish football until the end of the season, we’ve lost hundreds of millions on the champions league being cancelled so you may as well bash on, good luck Sky on your own next season, the battle for nine in a row sounds fantastic, again”

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Yep, they done it back in the war days (not sure if it was the one hearts won on their own). How many season ticket holders was there back then? How many tv companies paid millions for a season?

BT just going to go, “oh well season void, we paid for Scottish football until the end of the season, we’ve lost hundreds of millions on the champions league being cancelled so you may as well bash on, good luck Sky on your own next season, the battle for nine in a row sounds fantastic, again”

Sky going “we paid over the odds for exclusive rights for the Scottish football season the year Celtic are going for ten, but okay, last season was void”.
Does that mean BT get another year?
They have to finish the league in current standings.

04Sauzee
13-03-2020, 06:08 PM
Scotland has 10 rounds of fixtures including cup SF and Final.

Assume Euro 20 postponed to 21, you could re-start the season on 30 May (external conditions permitting) and run w/e & mid-week games back to back and be all done by July.

Most other leagues will be in a similar space, so perhaps the option to declare anything null waits until much later on.....

Remembering that some contracts are up at the end of May

Since452
13-03-2020, 06:24 PM
I'm going to use those words again, common sense. The season should end now. Void the Scottish Cup. League positions remain as is. Celtic win the league and Hearts are relegated. No playoffs. Tough for Hearts but they got themselves into that position.

04Sauzee
13-03-2020, 06:28 PM
Chairman of the FA doesn't believe the season will be completed.

https://www-hulldailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/greg-clarke-football-season-suspended-3949599.amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15841276157853&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hulldailymail.co.uk%2Fs port%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fgreg-clarke-football-season-suspended-3949599

Squealing pig
13-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Surely can’t take the league away from Celtic , hearts defo should go down too as they deserve it

Lago
13-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Lawyers will be being consulted as we speak, both for the clubs & for the SFA/SPFL, interesting times could see a few law,suits flying around.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 06:46 PM
I wonder what the poll would be if we were bottom? I would expect the end season in position now to be zero. If we forget the rest of March and all of April, we have May and June or even if still issues June/July thats 61 days to complete 9 league games 2 cup games and play off matches. Tthats not taking into account any closed door games if the chance presents itself.

The sensible option is to make next season the one changes are made not this one, alter league cup? alter winter break? alter split? Every club will have played zero games so they will know what agreeing too. Not a chance at all any clubs will accept relegation or non promotion It just will not happen.

DetroitHibs
13-03-2020, 06:47 PM
A solution for relegation would be two play off games played behind closed doors. One of game, Dundee Utd vs Hearts and then the other two.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 06:49 PM
A solution for relegation would be two play off games played behind closed doors. One of game, Dundee Utd vs Hearts and then the other two.

I don’t think many people will care in the grand scheme of things about bottom of Celtic aren’t declared champions. If they aren’t and the season is called void then all paying customers can as for their money back.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 06:52 PM

Dundee Utd are already in the automatic promotion spot. They won't nor should have to compete in a play off with Hearts.

Broken Gnome
13-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Think you've got to accommodate the league winners more than anything else - they've budgeted to win a league or get promoted, and if Celtic/Dundee United have reached a position where that seems set in stone, then that would be the greatest hardship to overcome.

If we were in Hearts position I'd be fuming if we were to actually lose scores of money as long as there was a chance of staying up. They might deserve it more than anyone else, but it's a much easier sell to reward likely champions.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Think you've got to accommodate the league winners more than anything else - they've budgeted to win a league or get promoted, and if Celtic/Dundee United have reached a position where that seems set in stone, then that would be the greatest hardship to overcome.

If we were in Hearts position I'd be fuming if we were to actually lose scores of money as long as there was a chance of staying up. They might deserve it more than anyone else, but it's a much easier sell to reward likely champions.

However, to promote winners there also has to be relegated losers unless league expansions were on the cards, seems unlikely to me but who knows.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 06:58 PM

There is not going to be a solution the next 9 games will all be played so all teams have the chance to earn the maximum points they expected to. The playoffs will also occur as normal. As will the Scottish cup. Every club can then come together and discuss next season if changes are required.

eastender1
13-03-2020, 07:03 PM
How about just playing the games up to the split. Only 3 games to make up when normality resumes. Fair to everyone, cos all played each other 3 times.

Oh and just about relegates the Jambos too 😀

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 07:03 PM
However, to promote winners there also has to be relegated losers unless league expansions were on the cards, seems unlikely to me but who knows.

It’s not just Hearts who could lose out. Ourselves, Livi and St. Johnstone could argue we were going for Euro spots. Fact is, this is a unique situation. There is zero chance of the league starting again now. Everyone just has to accept the positions now are how it finishes.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 07:05 PM
How about just playing the games up to the split. Only 3 games to make up when normality resumes. Fair to everyone, cos all played each other 3 times.

Oh and just about relegates the Jambos too [emoji3]

There is no chance it starts up again now. There just is not the time. Players contracts end in May. This virus will likely only peak about then. Football isn’t coming back this season.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 07:08 PM
It’s not just Hearts who could lose out. Ourselves, Livi and St. Johnstone could argue we were going for Euro spots. Fact is, this is a unique situation. There is zero chance of the league starting again now. Everyone just has to accept the positions now are how it finishes.

I agree with you. The only consideration should be is how to solve the play off spots. Either something resembling a coin flip or a stand alone penalty shoot out behind closed doors possibly. I'm not that fussed now about the Hearts situation as this is a very serious evolving epidemic and we need a firm decision soon by the footballing authorities with them paying out the prize money based on current league positions to help the clubs financially.

SquashedFrogg
13-03-2020, 07:16 PM
When you put it like that.

Thanks hearts, won the world war now helping the greater good with this. Truly humbled.

We won the world war
And we took going doon
we’ll take relegation and we might see you soon.

Poetic stuff. Wee tear in my eye there mate.

Worryingly, self isolation for them means more 'alone time'.

hibeerealist
13-03-2020, 07:16 PM

Tough on our pink friends however if there is NO likelihood of games being played in next 6-8 weeks then current standings apply......ah but ah but - that is the only way it can be done in fairness to the majority of clubs everywhere, yes there will be a minority who miss out and will complain - bye Jambos see you sometime.

hibeerealist
13-03-2020, 07:20 PM
There is not going to be a solution the next 9 games will all be played so all teams have the chance to earn the maximum points they expected to. The playoffs will also occur as normal. As will the Scottish cup. Every club can then come together and discuss next season if changes are required.

Interested how confident you are with this, pray tell me how it can be done?

Not trying to be smart here but tell me/us how this can be achieved when we are nowhere near the worst of it?

hibeerealist
13-03-2020, 07:22 PM

I agree :agree:

hibeerealist
13-03-2020, 07:24 PM

Why, Hertz are bottom they are not in a play off position?

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Interested how confident you are with this, pray tell me how it can be done?

Not trying to be smart here but tell me/us how this can be achieved when we are nowhere near the worst of it?

They will be played after the "worst of it". Answered. What exactly does the worst of it entail?

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 07:48 PM
They will be played after the "worst of it". Answered. What exactly does the worst of it entail?

Watching that prick Rylan on a sports named tv show when the rest of sport is cancelled?

Speedy
13-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Restart at a later date

Smartie
13-03-2020, 07:50 PM
To answer the OP directly, Hearts getting relegated and Rangers dying again would be a perfectly acceptable way to end the season.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Watching that prick Rylan on a sports named tv show when the rest of sport is cancelled?

Haha

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 07:52 PM
To answer the OP directly, Hearts getting relegated and Rangers dying again would be a perfectly acceptable way to end the season.

The Alloa chairman who is on the spfl board would definitely vote for that (and my backing) is Budge still on that board? Lawwell runs it to go against Petrie at the SFA I’m sure.

Brummie_Hibs
13-03-2020, 07:56 PM
How the end of this season is decided won't be resolved until we get an idea of when football can begin again.

Currently, we are living in a situation where things are literally changing by the hour, so dont be waiting on a solution for at least another 2 to 6 months.

In a month's time you'll be caring more about getting fresh food and bog roll rather than whether Omeonga is available to complete the season.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 07:59 PM
How the end of this season is decided won't be resolved until we get an idea of when football can begin again.

Currently, we are living in a situation where things are literally changing by the hour, so dont be waiting on a solution for at least another 2 to 6 months.

In a month's time you'll be caring more about getting fresh food and bog roll rather than whether Omeonga is available to complete the season.

I think not.

Brummie_Hibs
13-03-2020, 08:07 PM
I think not.
We'll see...

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 08:08 PM
We'll see...

We will.

jacomo
13-03-2020, 08:08 PM

:agree:

Even the zombie Huns would accept it.

Waxy
13-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Probably a period of time (perhaps between 3 to 5 weeks)where mass gatherings are stopped so to slow the spread and help the NHS with this.Then it’ll be good to resume.

13-03-2020, 08:11 PM
Imagine Hearts managed to weasel their way out of relegation because of this. Would that not just completely and utterly sum that slimey, grubby club up, jammy as they come and always manage to come up smelling of roses whenever they fall in the ****.

DetroitHibs
13-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Why, Hertz are bottom they are not in a play off position?

Trust me, I’d rather they just relegate them instead, I just have a bad feeling that they will get away scott free like usual.

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Imagine Hearts managed to weasel their way out of relegation because of this. Would that not just completely and utterly sum that slimey, grubby club up, jammy as they come and always manage to come up smelling of roses whenever they fall in the ****.

It’s exactly why it will happen. We all know, deep down how it will end. Them laughing in everyone’s faces being saved.

mixumatosis
13-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Think a lot of clubs will put forward the argument that finishing the season early would allow prize money to be decided and paid out, which would mitigate lost income. This will give the authorities moral (if not legal) grounds for calling the season to a close.

The rangers might not like ceding the title to Celtic but money will talk for sure, they can't afford to carry on with no income. It will be hard enough for them even if they get paid early for second place.

11-1 vote with Gorgie the only dissenting voice. Relegated. Happy happy Leith.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Hibs player contract end dates

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/kader/verein/903/saison_id/2019/plus/1

Celtic have a few at end of June.

Players like Docherty, Omeonga and McNulty would return and we would have Flo back for the final few games...

Scotland being a pretty small country actually might be to it’s advantage to get some games played.

I just can’t see the “accept the positions how it is now” idea - who would pay compensation- clubs would sue and especially down south teams in the Championship would riot with the amount of £ at stake in the playoffs.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 09:05 PM
Think a lot of clubs will put forward the argument that finishing the season early would allow prize money to be decided and paid out, which would mitigate lost income. This will give the authorities moral (if not legal) grounds for calling the season to a close.

The rangers might not like ceding the title to Celtic but money will talk for sure, they can't afford to carry on with no income. It will be hard enough for them even if they get paid early for second place.

11-1 vote with Gorgie the only dissenting voice. Relegated. Happy happy Leith.

A Hibs Scottish Cup won would mean ££ for the club or a Celtic quadruple treble probably more than the prize money evenly spread.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 09:07 PM

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/hibernian-fc/kader/verein/903/saison_id/2019/plus/1

Players like Docherty, Omeonga and McNulty would return and we would have Flo back for the final few games...

Scotland being a pretty small country actually might be to it’s advantage to get some games played.

I just can’t see the “accept the positions how it is now” idea - who would pay compensation- clubs would sue and especially down south teams in the Championship would riot with the amount of £ at stake in the playoffs.

They would have no grounds to sue. I’m almost certain now that it will finish as it is now. There are just no other solutions that work.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 09:10 PM
They would have no grounds to sue. I’m almost certain now that it will finish as it is now. There are just no other solutions that work.

Exactly right.

I can just imagine the Hearts law team arguing how unfair it was that the league was ended early as it was because of an extremely serious pandemic virus with the judges ending up telling them after significant legal bills run up that it was simply 'hard lines'.

:greengrin

James Stephen
13-03-2020, 09:20 PM
I agree, i think they will have to go with current placings.

There simply wont be the time or will to overcome the practical barriers (both football and otherwise) to play another 8 games plus the cup.

And there is no sense in mucking up next season in order to not muck up this season. This season is finished imo.

So i think all teams will have to accept they are where they are and leave it at that. Some teams will be annoyed of course, but there is no scenario that avoids upsetting some clubs now.

Playoffs will be scrapped, cup will be scrapped or maybe they will be able to postpone that, but again practical difficulties and time would be an issue.

The only alternative i can see is that the season is voided, which is i think a far worse outcome for more clubs, and still leaves all of the practical barriers (european places, bonuses, players records, stripping celtic of the league cup, basically wiping 78% of a completed season from history). I think that is the worst option.

Greencore
13-03-2020, 09:24 PM

Flo comes back from his dream. Plays against sevco and scores final game of the season to get us into Europe 😂

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 09:26 PM
I agree, i think they will have to go with current placings.

There simply wont be the time or will to overcome the practical barriers (both football and otherwise) to play another 8 games plus the cup.

And there is no sense in mucking up next season in order to not muck up this season. This season is finished imo.

So i think all teams will have to accept they are where they are and leave it at that. Some teams will be annoyed of course, but there is no scenario that avoids upsetting some clubs now.

Playoffs will be scrapped, cup will be scrapped or maybe they will be able to postpone that, but again practical difficulties and time would be an issue.

The only alternative i can see is that the season is voided, which is i think a far worse outcome for more clubs, and still leaves all of the practical barriers (european places, bonuses, players records, stripping celtic of the league cup, basically wiping 78% of a completed season from history). I think that is the worst option.

Correct.

Logically the way forward is to end it soon with placings kept as is. As many have alluded to the only problem would be the play offs, but that wouldn't be insurmountable with solutions to that simple enough. They must be pragmatic and acceptant of the best way out of this serious situation.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 09:45 PM
If season goes past the end of May, Kilmarnock will only have 4 players under contract. They won’t be the only team in this situation.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 09:53 PM

In 3 weeks they will probably delay it for another 2 weeks then try rapidly to fit in all the games till end of May. Though behind closed doors unless more teams / managers test positive.

Will be interesting to see if Scotland just copies England or does its own thing - obviously U.K. government guidelines etc but the league set up is slightly different and a smaller country it may change things slightly.

They can scrap the winter break next season also.

Greenfly
13-03-2020, 09:55 PM
Can we not get one fit player from each team to play off all the remaining fixtures on a Subbuteo pitch - all results to stand? Or maybe even get them to play it out with FIFA on their PlayStations or Xboxes and it could be done online whilst self-isolating at home - problem solved.

Hibbyradge
13-03-2020, 09:57 PM
Flo comes back from his dream. Plays against sevco and scores final game of the season to get us into Europe 😂

That would be hilarious.

You've got an excellent imagination! :thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 09:59 PM
In 3 weeks they will probably delay it for another 2 weeks then try rapidly to fit in all the games till end of May. Though behind closed doors unless more teams / managers test positive.

Will be interesting to see if Scotland just copies England or does its own thing - obviously U.K. government guidelines etc but the league set up is slightly different and a smaller country it may change things slightly.

They can scrap the winter break next season also.

Players are going to be getting the bug over the next few weeks and every time it happens the whole squad needs to isolate. There is no chance now of finishing the season. It’s gone. Just a matter now of the SPFL realising it and announcing it.

13-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Rod Petrie to relegate hearts with a simple rational decision please.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Players are going to be getting the bug over the next few weeks and every time it happens the whole squad needs to isolate. There is no chance now of finishing the season. It’s gone. Just a matter now of the SPFL realising it and announcing it.

Are you mainly thinking it’s to do with contracts ?

What about all the teams down south in Championship trying to get to Premier League. They will be law suits all over the place.

Add in the Scottish League where 2 teams have played less games than others and really we could finish bottom 6.

I’m all for sending the yams down but I just think the bigger picture - they will try find a way to get games played.

Greenfly
13-03-2020, 10:11 PM

What about all the teams down south in Championship trying to get to Premier League. They will be law suits all over the place.

Add in the Scottish League where 2 teams have played less games than others and really we could finish bottom 6.

I’m all for sending the yams down but I just think the bigger picture - they will try find a way to get games played.

Points average rather than points accrued might get round the difference in games played - it's not perfect but no solution is and Hearts would still go down

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 10:25 PM
Points average rather than points accrued might get round the difference in games played - it's not perfect but no solution is and Hearts would still go down

Dearie me. This type of weirdism would actually give rise to unnecessary legal actions. Logically points accrued is already more than enough for the leagues to decide upon either won or relegated, why on earth would the authorities suddenly arrive at a go to 'points average' which would be completely bonkers?

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 10:32 PM

I just can’t see them getting it going again before May. After that it’s impossible because teams won’t have their currents squads. As I said earlier, Killie only have 4 players under contract in June. How do they put a team out?

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 10:35 PM
I just can’t see them getting it going again before May. After that it’s impossible because teams won’t have their currents squads. As I said earlier, Killie only have 4 players under contract in June. How do they put a team out?

This though still cannot be a factor in teams being relegated or promoted and it wont be. These games will be played.

RoYO!
13-03-2020, 10:37 PM
Options:

Declare all remaining fixtures a draw.

Promote one and relegate one ie no play off.

Play games behind closed doors. Each team would need to be passed fit and healthy to play. Running around in the fresh air in a clean environment for a short period of time should pose v little threat. It is also unlikely that professional athletes will be affected particularly badly by this. Why should they put themselves in harm's way? I suppose- but tell that to the poor cashiers in supermarkets etc etc.

As I've said and I'm sure countless others have- theres no easy fix here.

I dont think clubs should get another window to add to their squads either.

I'd declare all remaining fixtures a draw. It'd be farcical for example for liverpool not to be awarded the title.

Greenfly
13-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Dearie me. This type of weirdism would actually give rise to unnecessary legal actions. Logically points accrued is already more than enough for the leagues to decide upon either won or relegated, why on earth would the authorities suddenly arrive at a go to 'points average' which would be completely bonkers?

Not quite sure what you think is so weird or bonkers about something that's basically fair - points averaged over games played. Neil Lennon spoke about it today. It would change very little except even out the disparity in games played. Name one team it would affect enough to lead to your "unnecessary legal actions".

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 10:43 PM
This though still cannot be a factor in teams being relegated or promoted and it wont be. These games will be played.

When?

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Not quite sure what you think is so weird or bonkers about something that's basically fair - points averaged over games played. Neil Lennon spoke about it today. It would change very little except even out the disparity in games played. Name one team it would affect enough to lead to your "unnecessary legal actions".

It won't happen and I think you know it won't. It could unnecessarily effect team positions and that costs money aka prize money. Get real.

Greenfly
13-03-2020, 10:50 PM
It won't happen and I think you know it won't. It could unnecessarily effect team positions and that costs money aka prize money. Get real.

You've obviously misunderstood what's meant. I apologise if I've not explained it rightly. The only position it would affect in the Scottish Premiership is us. We would drop one and St.J would overtake us. I hardly think that's likely to invoke all the legal action you're imagining. No one else would be affected at all. Maybe get real yourself?

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 10:53 PM
You've obviously misunderstood what's meant. I apologise if I've not explained it rightly. The only position it would affect in the Scottish Premiership is us. We would drop one and St.J would overtake us. I hardly think that's likely to invoke all the legal action you're imagining. No one else would be affected at all. Maybe get real yourself?

So you want us to drop a position and reduce our financial prize money?

Yeah right pal.

:faf:

ehf
13-03-2020, 10:57 PM
Objectively, if the fixtures can't be completed, the competition should be declared null and void. But difficult to see that happening in England due to the situation with Liverpool and difficult to see us diverging from what they do down there.

Greenfly
13-03-2020, 10:57 PM
So you want us to drop a position and reduce our financial prize money?

Yeah right pal.

I don't at all but I'm suggesting it would be a fair way to bring things to a conclusion now. I'm sorry it's upset you so much.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 10:59 PM
I don't at all but I'm suggesting it would be a fair way to bring things to a conclusion now. I'm sorry it's upset you so much.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 10:59 PM
When?

Why does that need decided tonight? or next week? When there is only predictions on how things may or may not go.

Next season when everyone is on equal footing the season can be altered if starts late and it can be agreed on way forward.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 11:02 PM
Why does that need decided tonight? or next week? When there is only predictions on how things may or may not go.

Next season when everyone is on equal footing the season can be altered if starts late and it can be agreed on way forward.

Whose going to buy season tickets on altered start or not game dates? Lets get real.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:08 PM

A team dropping out league that has 27pts available for starters. You Think the bottom 3 teams in EPL will just accept relegation and lose millions? you think the teams in 3rd,4th 5th,6th in English championship will accept losing out on a chance at promotion? And in all the other leagues where teams go up and down.

There is only one way and that's to finish it and that is exactly what will happen.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:09 PM
Whose going to buy season tickets on altered start or not game dates? Lets get real.

They go on sale once its sorted, quite simple really. Why does it all need sorted tonight with how STs will work? If the season starts later it will start so will sale of STs. Im just saying there is not a chance this season will end as is or be voided so the possible issues will be next season not this.

Ozyhibby
13-03-2020, 11:13 PM
A team dropping out league that has 27pts available for starters. You Think the bottom 3 teams in EPL will just accept relegation and lose millions? you think the teams in 3rd,4th 5th,6th in English championship will accept losing out on a chance at promotion? And in all the other leagues where teams go up and down.

There is only one way and that's to finish it and that is exactly what will happen.

So cancel next season so this season can finish. There is no way football is getting played before July.

Frankhfc
13-03-2020, 11:14 PM
They go on sale once its sorted, quite simple really.

The most simple thing would be to sort it out early. No one could have any real complaints that way and it would hopefully give us a clear path come a few months time. The league should stand as it is with the consequences few and a certain future. Only my opinion of course.

Mon Hibs.

Gloucester Hibs
13-03-2020, 11:16 PM
Can’t see each country’s leagues each coming up with their own Duckworth-Lewis style solution to this problem. Reckon some consensus will be formed at that UEFA meeting next week and all major leagues will run with it.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:17 PM
So cancel next season so this season can finish. There is no way football is getting played before July.

Where is cancel next season coming from? On your guess no football before July? Ok my Guess is May so therefore plenty of time.

They are looking for people who have what I would deem as normal jobs to do best to self isolate. I would say it would be easier for the footballers all to self isolate over next 2 weeks then all train together and get some games in behind closed doors.

JammyDoidger
13-03-2020, 11:28 PM
First step is cancel the euros altogether, or play it next summer. As that's just getting in the way of important stuff.

Play the remaining games at a later date.

there is two ways this can be done. We could play our way through the summer months. With the players agreeing to a shorter break coming back for our usual start date in August or as close to it as possible or having later start date to next season with a shorter season.

i wouldn't be against the idea of having a shorter season next season if this season had to take longer to finish.

we could have a shorter season next season by playing everyone twice or three times if time allows with no split.

An example finish this season by August. Start new season in November.

Captain Trips
13-03-2020, 11:35 PM
Anyone saying it should end now as it is would you honestly say that if Hibs were bottom of league with 9 games to go?

Ozyhibby
14-03-2020, 12:00 AM
First step is cancel the euros altogether, or play it next summer. As that's just getting in the way of important stuff.

Play the remaining games at a later date.

there is two ways this can be done. We could play our way through the summer months. With the players agreeing to a shorter break coming back for our usual start date in August or as close to it as possible or having later start date to next season with a shorter season.

i wouldn't be against the idea of having a shorter season next season if this season had to take longer to finish.

we could have a shorter season next season by playing everyone twice or three times if time allows with no split.

An example finish this season by August. Start new season in November.

What about Killie? They only have 4 players after May? What if they don’t want to extend with Killie? If they get to sign new players then everyone would? That would allow Hearts to massively outspend Hamilton? I can see potential problems all over the place.
And how much should Hibs cut the season ticket price by next season if it’s going to be shorter? I can see fans letting them away with not asking for a refund for missed games this season but no chance am I paying full price for a 24 game league next season. That’s only 12 home games?

Ozyhibby
14-03-2020, 12:01 AM
Anyone saying it should end now as it is would you honestly say that if Hibs were bottom of league with 9 games to go?

Doesn’t matter, I think it has to end now because it can’t be played.

spike220
14-03-2020, 12:15 AM
Doesn’t matter, I think it has to end now because it can’t be played.

One day penalty shoot out at a closed door fixture at Hampden to settle all remaining games.

Everyone has a sporting chance!

Ozyhibby
14-03-2020, 12:19 AM
One day penalty shoot out at a closed door fixture at Hampden to settle all remaining games.

Not going to happen.[emoji23]

Mr Grieves
14-03-2020, 12:34 AM
Relegate hearts

cocteautwin
14-03-2020, 01:25 AM
Relegate hearts
This. They’ve been awful for at least a calendar year and totally deserve to go down and be replaced by D Utd. Travesty for D Utd if they don’t get promoted. Relegate Hearts.

JammyDoidger
14-03-2020, 02:01 AM
Right stuff it end it now. If we can fit in the cups great. 14 team league is the way to go, promote 2 junior sides into the professional set up and promote 2 teams from every league with no one being relegated.

14-03-2020, 03:46 AM

Or Tennents Sixes style matches.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2020, 05:16 AM
Right stuff it end it now. If we can fit in the cups great. 14 team league is the way to go, promote 2 junior sides into the professional set up and promote 2 teams from every league with no one being relegated.

None of the clubs want a 14 team league. There is little enough money in Scottish football. They don’t want to share it 14 ways. Hibs don’t want one less guaranteed derby every year. It means less cat a games which means less income. Less hospitality. Lower season ticket prices. Less tv interest. Lower sponsorships. It’s been looked at a million times and rejected every single time for those reasons.