PDA

View Full Version : John Brownlie, Happy Birthday

Iggy Pope
11-03-2020, 05:10 PM
68 today. What an impression he made on the younger fellah I once was.

penihibs
11-03-2020, 05:16 PM

Brilliant player that I had privilege of watching for many years in a great Hibs team.
Happy birthday John🇳🇬

DarlingtonHibee
11-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Legend, part of my first hibs team.

Tom Hart RIP
11-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Best right back in Europe at his peak.

superfurryhibby
11-03-2020, 05:31 PM
What a player and also a very decent and humble man. I met him and had a brief chat to him a few years. I said I was still in awe of him, despite being in my early 50's. He seemed like a lovely guy

Deansy
11-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Ditto - I idolised him, absolutely fantastic player who was a delight to watch - I was in the Albion Road end when he suffered his leg-break and even today I can still hear that snap !!. It wasn't just a tragedy for him, it robbed Hibs, Scotland and the world of a very special player - he did recover well but sadly, he wasn't the player he had been !. Before it happened, our esteemed 'media' at the time, had it as a toss-up as to who was the better player - him or Danny McGrain ?. I'm not wearing my Hibs-tinted spectacles here but imho, McGrain was nowhere near as good as John but he played for Septic so obviously the press favoured their darling !

Max_Shah
11-03-2020, 05:58 PM
I'm too young to remember [40 in Jan] but...

A great scout in FM 2012.

17 Judging Player Ability. 18 Judging Player Potential. 20 Determination and 15 Tactical Awareness.

Happy Birthday John.

Eaststand
11-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Happy birthday JB
One of the best players I've ever seen.

GGTTH

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-03-2020, 06:20 PM
His almost telepathic partnership with wee Mickey was a joy to be seen, his rampaging runs down the right hand side were unequalled in my time watching Hibs, an absolute legend.

Happy birthday Onion 💚👍

Hi Heid Yin
11-03-2020, 06:26 PM
Poetry in motion was our John Brownlie.

What a player and what a side Turnbull's Tornadoes were.

:flag::flag:

BILLYHIBS
11-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Happy Birthday Onion

The best right back I have ever seen wear the green jersey

A joy to behold

Many Happy Returns

The best brand of football the worlds ever seen

:partyhibb

Roxyhibee
11-03-2020, 06:35 PM

Absolutely no exaggeration to say that.

The guy was just an incredible player at a very young age. Second only to Paddy as my favourite. He used to particularly love turning the Huns inside out on his mazy runs and 1-2’s.

Confident, strong, aggressive, intelligent (had to be with the genius Mickey playing in front of you), great crosser of a ball, fantastic shot, unbelievably skilful.

Not a negative bone in his body when he had the ball at his feet. God, where are full backs like that nowadays.!

Lago
11-03-2020, 08:00 PM
Wasn't he just 👌

brog
11-03-2020, 08:49 PM
To put it into perspective. Danny McGrain is 1 year older than John B. McGrain only got his 1st Scottish cap after John was injured. A truly magnificent player.

MGmick
11-03-2020, 08:53 PM

Only in Europe?
Struggling to think who was better anywhere.
Happy Birthday John Brownlie.

IberianHibernian
11-03-2020, 09:31 PM
Absolutely fantastic player . Great defender but also great attacking and seem to remember him scoring quite a few too . Can remember being in Cave against Besa in ECWC in 1972 ( opened that night during work so half seated / half standing ) and seeing him score a couple and didn`t he score winner in LC semi against Rangers soon after ? I was in the Dunbar End the day he broke his leg against East Fife . Absolute tragedy . Celtic had a great team then but Brownlie`s injury and Edwards`suspension were massive blows to chances in league ,SC and ECWC even if it meant Des Bremner got his well - deserved chance . Even after his injury he was still a great player . Think we played Rangers at home ( 0 v 0 ? ) in first league match of season the day he left with Ralph Callachan from Newcastle as part swap and Rab Kilgour from Meadowbank at right back both signed the same day . Depressed atmosphere among our support that day after losing such a great player .

Joe Baker2
12-03-2020, 05:53 AM
JB is a legend. Happy birthday, mate.

BILLYHIBS
12-03-2020, 06:06 AM
One of my favourite John Brownlie / Tornadoes performances Scottish League Cup Quarter Final 1972/73 versus Airdrieonians Old Co at Broomfield 2-6 win

Goals from Brownlie x 2 Duncan x 3 and Jimmy Jimmy ORourke

A free flowing display of fast attacking football against what was a very tricky bogey cup team for us

I have a dodgy video of the game somewhere and I am sure when the teams run oot the wee Tudor Hoose that Airdrie called a Dressing Room at the start of the game the Commentator mentions that HIBS right back John Brownlie a local lad returns to the ground where he used to be a ballboy

A brilliant typical swashbuckling display by John Brownlie that night where he bagged himself a brace in front of a large midweek HIBS support

Halcyon days!

brog
12-03-2020, 01:39 PM
One of my favourite John Brownlie / Tornadoes performances Scottish League Cup Quarter Final 1972/73 versus Airdrieonians Old Co at Broomfield 2-6 win

Goals from Brownlie x 2 Duncan x 3 and Jimmy Jimmy ORourke

A free flowing display of fast attacking football against what was a very tricky bogey cup team for us

I have a dodgy video of the game somewhere and I am sure when the teams run oot the wee Tudor Hoose that Airdrie called a Dressing Room at the start of the game the Commentator mentions that HIBS right back John Brownlie a local lad returns to the ground where he used to be a ballboy

A brilliant typical swashbuckling display by John Brownlie that night where he bagged himself a brace in front of a large midweek HIBS support

Halcyon days!

Incredibly one of 5 games that season where we scored 5 goals in a half! The others were Sporting Lisbon at home, Dundee United away, Ayr United at home & a game that I always have trouble remembering on 1/1/1973!!

The Modfather
12-03-2020, 02:10 PM
I used to work with his daughter in law many moons ago. True story.

BILLYHIBS
12-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Incredibly one of 5 games that season where we scored 5 goals in a half! The others were Sporting Lisbon at home, Dundee United away, Ayr United at home & a game that I always have trouble remembering on 1/1/1973!!

Besa at home anaw (7-1)

Opponents give up hope when we get them down the slope

Hibernian.........