PDA

View Full Version : Just gave up

Ardenttwo
10-03-2020, 01:26 PM
Pretty alarming quote from Boyle. After Aberdeen equalised we just gave up. Something far wrong if this is the case

Jones28
10-03-2020, 02:20 PM
There’s a definite lack of belief there, I don’t see why as this group of players have pulled themselves out of a hole and produced some great results.

hibsbollah
10-03-2020, 02:25 PM
It's not something you want to hear. As much as I like him, Squirrel is one of these boys who opens his mouth before he engages his brain sometimes, he might have meant to say 'nothing came off for us' or similar.

SMAXXA
10-03-2020, 02:32 PM
It's not something you want to hear. As much as I like him, Squirrel is one of these boys who opens his mouth before he engages his brain sometimes, he might have meant to say 'nothing came off for us' or similar.

Or maybe he actually meant what he said? It doesn’t mean he’s downing his team mates saying they arnt good enough etc he is saying in that game at a certain point he felt like the team gave up, tough week for them maybe some didn’t have the metal we all would want.

hibsbollah
10-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Or maybe he actually meant what he said? It doesn’t mean he’s downing his team mates saying they arnt good enough etc he is saying in that game at a certain point he felt like the team gave up, tough week for them maybe some didn’t have the metal we all would want.

Of course he could have meant exactly what he said. In which case it's a very poor decision on his part, it's just something you shouldnt say. Fans can usually accept poor performances with effort , but perceived 'giving up' is unacceptable.

KingPat4
10-03-2020, 02:51 PM
I'm hoping it's the good old Evening News quoting out of context, would not be the first time.

:dunno:

jacomo
10-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Personally I appreciate his honesty.

First step to solving a problem is acknowledging you have a problem.

Squirrel’s stature has grown and grown, he will be training with the squad all week and - I hope - demanding higher standards from everybody.

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2020, 02:53 PM
If he truly believes that then it's a damning indictment of his team mates. If I was one of them I would be raging at him saying it, lets hope this isn't the first sign of cracks in the dressing room.

We need a positive result on Saturday to make all this stuff settle down :confused:

neil7908
10-03-2020, 03:07 PM
I appreciate his honesty and it looked clear to most Hibs fans. He hasn't named names so I don't see what the issue is.

If the players disagree we should see a positive reaction on Saturday.

Hermit Crab
10-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Pretty alarming quote from Boyle. After Aberdeen equalised we just gave up. Something far wrong if this is the case

We were crap as well though. Look at the defending for all 3 goals. Amateur hour Sunday league stuff. The club captain is never a leader and can't motivate the team either.

The 90+2
10-03-2020, 03:10 PM

See it every week, especially the defensive side. At least he is honest.

Hermit Crab
10-03-2020, 03:13 PM
See it every week, especially the defensive side. At least he is honest.

3 conceded in 27 minutes v Hearts.

3 conceded in 18 minutes v Aberdeen.

Lost our last two games 3-1. Even being 0-1 up on Saturday we didn't look like we'd see it out or score again.

Worrying times.

Steven79
10-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Lost our last two games 3-1. Even being 0-1 up on Saturday we didn't look like we'd see it out or score again.

Worrying times.

I think we looked good till we went down to ten men then the belief just vanished.

Since452
10-03-2020, 03:26 PM
No point in sugarcoating it. That's exactly what happened. I hope there's been some honest and frank conversations this week. I wanted a reaction on Saturday after the derby and we undoubtedly got one up until the sending off so there is ability there. We crumbled after that, like we did against Hearts. This is where the senior players needs to step up. It isn't good enough.

10-03-2020, 03:28 PM
I think he meant it figuratively not literally.

J-C
10-03-2020, 04:39 PM
Boyle gets kicked up and down the pitch but still gives his all, he is obviously peed off more players don't show the same passion.

Zazu62
10-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Imagine what would have happened if McNulty had been sent off against hearts they would have gave up before even half time

flash
10-03-2020, 05:19 PM

Worrying times.

We looked totally in control before the red card.

superfurryhibby
10-03-2020, 05:48 PM
18 or so comments in, does anyone have a source for the quote. |It seems a tad unbelievable that Boyle would really have said what's attributed to him.

Hermit Crab
10-03-2020, 06:01 PM
18 or so comments in, does anyone have a source for the quote. |It seems a tad unbelievable that Boyle would really have said what's attributed to him.

We collapsed, we did not believe, we just gave up' - Martin Boyle's scathing assessment of Hibs' loss to AberdeenEdinburgh Evening News·11 hours ago (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjruubmy5DoAhWMLMAKHZ1uBaoQxfQBMAB6BAgHE AM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.edinburghnews.scotsman.com%2 Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fhibs%2Fwe-collapsed-we-did-not-believe-we-just-gave-martin-boyles-scathing-assessment-hibs-loss-aberdeen-2444777&usg=AOvVaw2f0yD6746ZulyMVxkKaNbG)

Shrekko
10-03-2020, 06:16 PM
We looked totally in control before the red card.

We absolutely did but you could sense as soon as it happened that a capitulation was about to happen.

There’s something missing -I wouldn’t say lack of talent either.

Speedway
10-03-2020, 06:37 PM
According to the AGM, we’re over budget on the squad this year so I agree that we’re not short of talent, but if there’s any truth in the claim that we gave up; then the club should give up paying them until their next win.

Onceinawhile
10-03-2020, 07:42 PM
We were crap as well though. Look at the defending for all 3 goals. Amateur hour Sunday league stuff. The club captain is never a leader and can't motivate the team either.

The club captain wasn't even on the pitch at any point, so not sure how you can blame him tbh.

sarfoftheborder
10-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Superfurryhibby @ post #19 on this thread quite correctly asked if anyone has a source for this quote and suggested that it was a tad unbelievable that Martin Boyle would really have said this. On the Edinburgh Evening News website the journalist David Hardie posted an article at 07.08 am on Tuesday 10 March about this. He quotes Martin directly and puts his words in inverted commas to indicate that it is a quote. Martin says quite a lot so it isn't just one phrase which could conceivably have been taken out of context. In summary I believe that he did say what he is quoted as saying. Obviously everyone should read the article to form their own opinion. Unfortunately my IT skills are very limited so I can't provide the link.

It suggests that the morale in the dressing room is fragile and also highlights the lack of leaders and leadership which has been apparent for a long time. We definitely need some strong characters in the squad.

superfurryhibby
10-03-2020, 09:10 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/we-collapsed-we-did-not-believe-we-just-gave-martin-boyles-scathing-assessment-hibs-loss-aberdeen-2444777

"The Australian international winger said: “We worked so hard for the 60 minutes to stay in the game, we had the lead, good opportunities and then, just like that, it can happen, red cards. I think it affected us massively, we collapsed, we did not stay strong, we did not believe.
“When we conceded the first one I think we just gave up. We got a bit ragged, fell away and lost the game. Pittodrie is a tough place to go but I thought we were doing well. Doidgey had one shot saved on the line, we had great chances, he scored a great goal and we believed we would go on and win.
“But things happened that affected us and I think mentally we have to get over that, be stronger as a group if it happens again.”

This is part of the article.

A fairly scathing assessment from Boyle. He says we, so I assume he included himself in that assessment.

Not impressed.

Chorley Hibee
10-03-2020, 09:23 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/we-collapsed-we-did-not-believe-we-just-gave-martin-boyles-scathing-assessment-hibs-loss-aberdeen-2444777

"The Australian international winger said: “We worked so hard for the 60 minutes to stay in the game, we had the lead, good opportunities and then, just like that, it can happen, red cards. I think it affected us massively, we collapsed, we did not stay strong, we did not believe.
“When we conceded the first one I think we just gave up. We got a bit ragged, fell away and lost the game. Pittodrie is a tough place to go but I thought we were doing well. Doidgey had one shot saved on the line, we had great chances, he scored a great goal and we believed we would go on and win.
“But things happened that affected us and I think mentally we have to get over that, be stronger as a group if it happens again.”

This is part of the article.

A fairly scathing assessment from Boyle. He says we, so I assume he included himself in that assessment.

Not impressed.

Me neither, just what the 1000 plus of us who travelled all the way to Pittodrie wanted to hear - that the players "just gave up" when the going got tough.

Hermit Crab
10-03-2020, 09:29 PM
The club captain wasn't even on the pitch at any point, so not sure how you can blame him tbh.

Smart arse, you know fine well I mean Hanlon.

Deansy
10-03-2020, 09:58 PM

Maybe some of them ?? - the derby-game showed few of them have the mettle required !

JammyDoidger
11-03-2020, 01:51 AM
I completely understand his comments. I'm fuming watching some of our good play ruined by amateur defending. The players will be aswell. Forward players are creating great chances, still scoring goals but we can't keep the ball out of our net. We need to tighten up. The left hand side in particular is a real problem that needs addressed pronto. I'd play a flat back 4 and put Hanlon to left back and mcgregor into the middle beside Jackson. Considine plays left back for Aberdeen and I'd like to think Hanlon is more mobile than him. Wouldn't want him crossing the halfway line just defend And let the forward players create.

sean04
11-03-2020, 07:32 AM
Sometimes good teams need to win ugly, we can’t seem to do that. When we face a bit adversity we seem to fold. Red card at Ibrox, red card at Aberdeen. The fact that we can counter attack very well makes it worse. Get men behind the ball and be difficult to break down

scoopyboy
11-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Smart arse, you know fine well I mean Hanlon.

I don't think you like that chap.

Have you cut him out of any of your cup winning photos?

J-C
11-03-2020, 08:02 AM
I don't think you like that chap.

Have you cut him out of any of your cup winning photos?

Haha I was going to post similar, not the only poster on here with a strange dislike against certain players and slag off these players at every opportunity, even when they play well.

Since452
11-03-2020, 08:11 AM
We're conceding 1.6 goals per game on average this season. That's frightening and heaps pressure on our forwards

Alex Trager
11-03-2020, 08:17 AM

Worrying times.

Disagree. We were in control prior to the red card. I absolutely fancied us to get at the very least a point.

We had three very good chances first half as well

green with envy
11-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Disagree. We were in control prior to the red card. I absolutely fancied us to get at the very least a point.

I'm with you on that on both your points, the 4 of us said the very same in the pub after the game. However, as soon as we went down to 10, i just knew we would lose.

superfurryhibby
11-03-2020, 08:41 AM
Haha I was going to post similar, not the only poster on here with a strange dislike against certain players and slag off these players at every opportunity, even when they play well.

Perhaps some tragic attempt at creating a Hibs Net "identity" for themselves. No player should be exempt from criticism, but to relentlessly post the same old crap at every opportunity is pretty desperate stuff.

J-C
11-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Perhaps some tragic attempt at creating a Hibs Net "identity" for themselves. No player should be exempt from criticism, but to relentlessly post the same old crap at every opportunity is pretty desperate stuff.

:agree:

HibeeHibernian4
11-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Boyle gets kicked up and down the pitch but still gives his all, he is obviously peed off more players don't show the same passion.

He doesn’t give his all defensively and Aberdeen’s equaliser came from his side. The formation needs to change because at the moment him and McGinn are just letting left sided attackers run through them.

J-C
11-03-2020, 12:17 PM
He doesn’t give his all defensively and Aberdeen’s equaliser came from his side. The formation needs to change because at the moment him and McGinn are just letting left sided attackers run through them.

Possibly because he's not a defender but a winger, you cant be on the opponent's 18 yard line one second and defending your own box the next. Boyle is better playing with a back 4 and a proper RB behind him, when he was wingback the last time we had Efe and McGinn playing out their skins.

emerald green
12-03-2020, 08:56 AM

Which, of course, they didn't take.

The most damning quote from Boyle is this one - "But things happened that affected us and I think mentally we have to get over that, be stronger as a group if it happens again."