PDA

View Full Version : How much have you spent following Hibs

bigwheel
09-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Overall the years, how much do you think your devotion to our club has cost you ..how many thousands have you invested in this crazy love of ours..

I wonder how many pounds per trophy ! [emoji2].

Be prepared to see your dream holiday home in Spain flash before your eyes :)

Ardenttwo
09-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Overall the years, how much do you think your devotion to our club has cost you ..how many thousands have you invested in this crazy love of ours..

I wonder how many pounds per trophy ! [emoji2].

Be prepared to see your dream holiday home in Spain flash before your eyes :)

Right here is the first one to answer. I travel from up in the Highlands a round trip of over 500 miles (No puns please). Midweek games or Sunday games requires a hotel. I have a ST and also paid to be a member of HSL. Take my family to hospitality average 4 times a season. In winter I travel up and down by train which is expensive in itself and having a full knee replacement it’s a taxi from Waverley to ER and back. I sometimes wonder if it’s worth it but will not stop

Since452
09-03-2020, 01:08 PM
Don't want to know tbh. Spent a fortune lowering my life expectancy through stress

aljo7-0
09-03-2020, 01:19 PM
I'm never ever going to work that out. if I wrote it down and my wife found out I'd be very quickly divorced or speaking very high pitched or propping up the daisies.

weecounty hibby
09-03-2020, 01:30 PM
It is a scary number for those of us who are now getting older and have followed home, away, Europe, friendlies etc in the past. Bought loads of stuff in the shop and elsewhere. Listened to Clubcall on the phone. Some may even have had fines to pay🙄 Honestly would hate to put a number on it considering all the disappointments over the years. Suppose 21/05/16 made up for it all and was worth all the £££. Maybe. Huge kudos to Ardenttwo above!

Sudds_1
09-03-2020, 01:41 PM
A fortune i gues over 50 years supporting them man and boy....nowoldman, man and boy with grandkids suffering too. Wouldnt have it any other way...still spend lesss thanthe wife does shopping!!

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Right here is the first one to answer. I travel from up in the Highlands a round trip of over 500 miles (No puns please). Midweek games or Sunday games requires a hotel. I have a ST and also paid to be a member of HSL. Take my family to hospitality average 4 times a season. In winter I travel up and down by train which is expensive in itself and having a full knee replacement it’s a taxi from Waverley to ER and back. I sometimes wonder if it’s worth it but will not stop

This is not sarcasm .... wow :not worth

Bostonhibby
09-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Couldn't quantify it as was nearly always there for home games and quite a few away games very late 60's right through to 83.

Very few games to end 85 but from then on in it's been 650 plus miles round trips by car mostly and train, allowing for accommodation, travel food drink and tickets it's probably £250 - £350 a pop or more when family come.

That excludes quite a few European trips and 2 Ireland tours.

10 games a year average is thereabouts so suddenly it doesn't bear thinking about, do I regret it? Do I **** I'd only have wasted it on sensible stuff.

GGTTH

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
09-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Watch any clip you like of 21st May 2016 and tell me it’s not the best money you’ve ever spent.

We’re the chosen ones. Not many will experience elation like that, and the more ££££, time and misery put into it the better it felt.

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 02:01 PM
I guess my answer is gonna be typical.

I wouldn't even like to try and work it out. I suppose if you were the starting point would have to be if you had never supported Hibs or a football club in general. That means you have a list like this:

Tickets
Travel
Club merchandise official or not, EG strips, scarves, programmes.
Pub / cafe before the game.
Shares ... contributing to HSL
Buying papers to keep up with the club before t'internet.
And in the vein of a poster above ....... 1 x £30 fine :greengrin

X that by however many kids you take if you have club supporting kids :confused:

In my own case going back to the mid 70s its at least enough to have a very nice house and a nice car in the driveway.

What of course isn't included and folk should include is the effort and emotional cost. I've personally lived with two wives and now one long standing partner none of whom could give a rats arse about football and never understood / understand my "f'ing obsession !!!" with it and Hibs :greengrin

Since452
09-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Watch any clip you like of 21st May 2016 and tell me it’s not the best money you’ve ever spent.

We’re the chosen ones. Not many will experience elation like that, and the more ££££, time and misery put into it the better it felt.

Good point. If you could sell that feeling when Henderson started running with arms aloft you'd be a multimillionaire

The 90+2
09-03-2020, 02:06 PM

Is of course the explanation for the answer “I’ve no idea buts worth it” 😁

Hibernian Verse
09-03-2020, 02:13 PM
A very quick and rough calculation including estimated fuel (driving up and down from Aberdeen 5 years included), match & season tickets, bus fares to Hampden, too many pints in the Roseburn for Tynecastle, scran and 1 European trip...

Over £18k and I'm only 27. Luckily my parents paid my season ticket up to 17. My Dad must've wanted me to know what disappointment looked like :greengrin:greengrin

I don't want to think how much anyone over 60 has spent...

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 02:14 PM

:agree:

You could be the richest guy in the world ... you still couldn't buy that weekend :thumbsup:

erin go bragh
09-03-2020, 02:15 PM
Thank fluck my wife’s not on Hibs net . I’m not going to count it up but May 2016 was worth whatever the figure is .

H18 SFR
09-03-2020, 02:24 PM
My monthly budget set aside to watch Hibs is £250 per month.

This pays for season tickets (1x adult, 1x child), merchandise, travel and away games.

I travel from Ayrshire now so I expect that might seem a lot on the surface.

I also have a cheeky wee £50 per month side account for 'European trips' - hopefully get to use that soon.

Since452
09-03-2020, 02:29 PM
When I die at least I'll have felt what I felt on that day in May. If I hadn't *****ed money on Hibs and all the failures over the years I never would have had that feeling

Tambo
09-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Couldn't quantify it as was nearly always there for home games and quite a few away games very late 60's right through to 83.

Very few games to end 85 but from then on in it's been 650 plus miles round trips by car mostly and train, allowing for accommodation, travel food drink and tickets it's probably £250 - £350 a pop or more when family come.

That excludes quite a few European trips and 2 Ireland tours.

10 games a year average is thereabouts so suddenly it doesn't bear thinking about, do I regret it? Do I **** I'd only have wasted it on sensible stuff.

GGTTH

Try to get to at least one game a month, I'm 350 miles away my trip this weekend is £230 and that's not including spending money.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Try to get to at least one game a month, I'm 350 miles away my trip this weekend is £230 and that's not including spending money.I took a guess, am up next weekend and am scared to count now as there's 2 of us!

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 02:39 PM
Loving this thread. Some of it is putting my moaning about my own cost and travel into perspective :greengrin

Bostonhibby
09-03-2020, 02:42 PM

We’re the chosen ones. Not many will experience elation like that, and the more ££££, time and misery put into it the better it felt.[emoji106]

Ended up in hospitality for that one, plus an extra 2 nights stay afterwards and lost 2 days earnings as well.

Cheaper to go the Caribbean for a fortnight.[emoji16]

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 02:47 PM
[emoji106]

Ended up in hospitality for that one, plus an extra 2 nights stay afterwards and lost 2 days earnings as well.

Cheaper to go the Caribbean for a fortnight.[emoji16]

On finding that my meagre work pension wasn't enough to support my habit I took a job cleaning lavvies for the NHS 10 hours a week ... something I wouldn't have to do otherwise. Does that make me an uber fan? Uber fan o' the lavvy pan :greengrin

B.H.F.C
09-03-2020, 02:49 PM
So looking purely at ticket prices this year.

Season ticket £380.

Away season ticket. Average away ticket price £25 (maybe) multiplied by 19 league games totals £475.

Minimum cup games will be 12, again at an average of £25 totals £300. I’m going to round that up to £325 as there will, of course, be 13 cup games.

So I reckon that’s about £1,200 on tickets alone this season. It’s an expensive hobby.

Keith_M
09-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Far too much...

zitelli62
09-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Having watched hibs for over 50 years the mind boggles how much I've spent but that one day in 2016 made it all worthwhile for once tears of joy leaving hampden that day and you cant put a price on that.

GGTTH.

Killiehibbie
09-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Cost me my hair

Bostonhibby
09-03-2020, 03:11 PM
On finding that my meagre work pension wasn't enough to support my habit I took a job cleaning lavvies for the NHS 10 hours a week ... something I wouldn't have to do otherwise. Does that make me an uber fan? Uber fan o' the lavvy pan :greengrinNah, the minute uber gets mentioned on any thread I'm out[emoji6]

A who can piss the highest competition, that's another matter[emoji16]

The 90+2
09-03-2020, 03:11 PM
On finding that my meagre work pension wasn't enough to support my habit I took a job cleaning lavvies for the NHS 10 hours a week ... something I wouldn't have to do otherwise. Does that make me an uber fan? Uber fan o' the lavvy pan :greengrin

😁

bigwheel
09-03-2020, 05:33 PM
Some brilliant responses here..the commitment, joy and madness of us Football fans shining through [emoji120][emoji119]

Bostonhibby
09-03-2020, 06:19 PM
Cost me my hairWe have a winner[emoji16]

I'm convinced I'd have had far worse teeth, and bleach dyed blonde hair into my late 50's like the rest of them that you see on telly at the big European games if I'd been a lesser green.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2020, 06:28 PM
Monetary value since 1992 I wouldn’t even try to work it out. However giving up my Liverpool ST in 92 feels like a decision that has cost me more than I could ever imagine 😩

Lancs Harp
09-03-2020, 06:40 PM
You cant put a monetary value on true love :greengrin

No regrets, travelling back home after a defeat isnt always easy but Im old enough and ugly enough to be able to cope with it now. There's always next week isn't there. To guestimate a value I think an average home game costs me getting on for £150 (and thats a bit on the conservative side) if I stay over the saturday night which I do more often than not taking into account fuel cost, accomodation, food, drink etc. I had a season ticket for a couple of seasons but its the time as well as the cost that prevents from getting one now. Ive only made it to 5 games so far this season but throwing that kind of money at it perhaps you can understand why. Thats not taking into account anything I might spend in the Club shop.

Can you remember when you could go out at the weekend and have more than a few bevvies and a visit to the chippy on the way home for a fiver. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
09-03-2020, 07:28 PM
You cant put a monetary value on true love :greengrin

No regrets, travelling back home after a defeat isnt always easy but Im old enough and ugly enough to be able to cope with it now. There's always next week isn't there. To guestimate a value I think an average home game costs me getting on for £150 (and thats a bit on the conservative side) if I stay over the saturday night which I do more often than not taking into account fuel cost, accomodation, food, drink etc. I had a season ticket for a couple of seasons but its the time as well as the cost that prevents from getting one now. Ive only made it to 5 games so far this season but throwing that kind of money at it perhaps you can understand why. Thats not taking into account anything I might spend in the Club shop.

Can you remember when you could go out at the weekend and have more than a few bevvies and a visit to the chippy on the way home for a fiver. :greengrin

[emoji106]

There's some stuff you can't put a price on for sheer comedy value, good and bad.

For that 2012 final we'd pre booked a cab straight back to Edinburgh at "mate's rates" through one of our party.

Imagine our absolute joy when the friend of our friend proved to be a fairly well known Jambo in our circles........all the way back to Edinburgh. Got back early.

Nae tip but we left a few empty bottles.

Tarrahib
09-03-2020, 08:36 PM
We travel down from the Highlands for every home game and most away games.We try to book hotels in advance when the fixtures are displayed.We don't mind the cost but it is annoying when they change a lot of games to accommodate tv.But hey.

jacomo
09-03-2020, 09:42 PM

Next time you are in hospitality I hope Ron says thank you in person for your support. You’ve definitely earned your uber fan badge imo.

JohnMcM
10-03-2020, 12:50 PM
It's too scary to even think about it.:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
10-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Hard Baked pie and Bovril £5.95
Home shirt £49.95
Watching Henderson deliver ror Sir David Gray hit the back of the net in 90+2 priceless.

So that holiday home in Spain that you missed out on or maybe you forego the Hibs for it...
- when you’re drawing your last what’s the things that go through your head?

It ain’t gonna be bricks and mortar in Malaga.

cmcd
10-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Hard Baked pie and Bovril £5.95
Home shirt £49.95
Watching Henderson deliver ror Sir David Gray hit the back of the net in 90+2 priceless.

So that holiday home in Spain that you missed out on or maybe you forego the Hibs for it...
- when you’re drawing your last what’s the things that go through your head?

It ain’t gonna be bricks and mortar in Malaga.

70 years old so god knows how much I've spent