PDA

View Full Version : Sam Stanton

AZhibee
09-03-2020, 01:09 AM
65 minutes, 1 assist, playing on the left side midfield, good performance in his American debut last night. 6-1 victory with Phoenix Rising FC.

Not often I get to see a (former) Hibby play live, so I was excited.

Weegreenman
09-03-2020, 05:23 AM
One of many players who never made it at the club, only for us to bring in a long line of average players that really weren’t much better.

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2020, 05:30 AM
Emerson Hyndman now playing for Atlanta United in the MLS has scored two goals in the last two games

Since452
09-03-2020, 05:38 AM
One of many players who never made it at the club, only for us to bring in a long line of average players that really weren’t much better.

I'm struggling to think of a midfielder we've brought in that wasn't far better than Stanton. Vela maybe. Even that's debatable. He couldn't get a game for Dundee United in the championship.

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2020, 05:54 AM
Very skilful player remember him scoring a wonder goal versus The Rangers reserves from the half way line

I wish him all the best for the future

HFC93
09-03-2020, 07:11 AM

We've had better midfielders at the club since he left. I don't think Sam Stanton would get in our current team, he wasn't getting a game at Dundee Utd. He's playing in the division below the MLS. That's his level.

Centre Hawf
09-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Sam Stanton was obviously a standout player in a very poor Hibs side, similar to when Harris broke through at first. Gutted it didn't work for him because he had talent. I think he fell victim to the system Stubbs wanted to play and to be honest he probably wasn't as good as we all first thought once we seen the likes of McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, and Allan play.

Jones28
09-03-2020, 09:17 AM
I mind him making his debut against Celtic and he was phenomenal. Brave and full of skill, just a shame it didn’t work for him.

brog
09-03-2020, 10:03 AM
I liked Sam but on reflection a bit like Callum Booth in that he never really kicked on. Separately, yet another lefty, Ryan Gauld has now scored 5 goals in his last 2 games & if Farense win tonight they'll be joint top of League 2 though probably 2nd on GD.

The 90+2
09-03-2020, 10:15 AM
I'm struggling to think of a midfielder we've brought in that wasn't far better than Stanton. Vela maybe. Even that's debatable. He couldn't get a game for Dundee United in the championship.

Chris Humphrey, Tudur Jones, Gaël Bigirimana, Vela. Could go further and say the likes of Deegan, Matt Done, Paul Cairney, Tom Taiwo.

jacomo
09-03-2020, 07:54 PM
I liked San Stanton. He’s a goal scoring midfielder and we really needed one of them at the time... though of course Allan, Dylan, SJM all better footballers.

Good luck to him.

DetroitHibs
09-03-2020, 08:27 PM
Chris Humphrey, Tudur Jones, Gaël Bigirimana, Vela. Could go further and say the likes of Deegan, Matt Done, Paul Cairney, Tom Taiwo.

Most have had better careers than Stanton.

Fritz
09-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Played 17 games for UTD in the 1st half of this season. Not saying I wanted him back at Hibs but clearly could get a game for them in the Championship.

California-Hibs
10-03-2020, 12:01 AM
65 minutes, 1 assist, playing on the left side midfield, good performance in his American debut last night. 6-1 victory with Phoenix Rising FC.

Not often I get to see a (former) Hibby play live, so I was excited.

Never knew he played for Phoenix now. I'll have to call him over for a wee chat pitchside when they come to play Sacramento Republic!

HoboHarry
10-03-2020, 01:23 AM
I looked to see if they played Houston Dynamo but it seems not, bit of a pity.......

California-Hibs
10-03-2020, 01:41 AM
I looked to see if they played Houston Dynamo but it seems not, bit of a pity.......

Just saw Sacramento Republic don't play them at home till October

AZhibee
10-03-2020, 01:46 AM
Just saw Sacramento Republic don't play them at home till October

Yeah last game of the season. In post-game interview manager said he was fabulous, but came out at 65' as he was a bit tired, said the pace and dry air might be getting to him. Wonder if he will second guess signing in Phoenix when it is 112f at kickoff...

AZhibee
10-03-2020, 01:47 AM

Away to Austin and San Antonio though (RGV as well).

Haymaker
10-03-2020, 02:09 AM
Yeah last game of the season. In post-game interview manager said he was fabulous, but came out at 65' as he was a bit tired, said the pace and dry air might be getting to him. Wonder if he will second guess signing in Phoenix when it is 112f at kickoff...

The weather is a massive equalizer in America!

Bay Area Hibees
10-03-2020, 05:11 AM
Emerson Hyndman now playing for Atlanta United in the MLS has scored two goals in the last two games

Average 65, 000 per home match too

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2020, 05:19 AM
Average 65, 000 per home match too

Yeah had some guy last year scoring goals for fun No 7 I think had him a few times in my accas

Is he still there?

AZhibee
10-03-2020, 05:26 AM
Yeah had some guy last year scoring goals for fun No 7 I think had him a few times in my accas

Is he still there?

Martinez? Is injured, badly I think. Was replaced with last year’s Phoenix Rising striker Adam Jahn.

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2020, 05:30 AM
Martinez? Is injured, badly I think. Was replaced with last year’s Phoenix Rising striker Adam Jahn.

Yeah!

Thats him

Seemed to be an excellent player took the pens anaw!

Hope he is ok?

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2020, 05:54 AM
Sam Stanton wonder strike :greengrin

https://youtu.be/iprozfywQhc

brog
10-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Sam Stanton wonder strike :greengrin

https://youtu.be/iprozfywQhc

McTominay, eat your heart out!! Ryan G scored a late equaliser for Farense last night. Now 6 goals in last 3 games.

The 90+2
10-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Most have had better careers than Stanton.

While true it wasn’t the question. We’ve brought in loads of pap poorer than Sammy.

Phil MaGlass
11-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Sam Stanton was obviously a standout player in a very poor Hibs side, similar to when Harris broke through at first. Gutted it didn't work for him because he had talent. I think he fell victim to the system Stubbs wanted to play and to be honest he probably wasn't as good as we all first thought once we seen the likes of McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, and Allan play.
Hed probably get a game for us now...

Anthony Soprano
11-03-2020, 11:23 AM

Chris Humphrey was decent in the few games he played for us, was outstanding against Dundee Utd when we beat them 3-0/3-1 at ER.

Thought Cairney was excellent for us in his first season, injuries ruined him towards the end though.

Since452
11-03-2020, 11:44 AM

I was meaning since Stanton left

The 90+2
11-03-2020, 02:21 PM
I was meaning since Stanton left

Ah okay mate. Vela then and Bigi’ 😂 we’ve actually recruited brilliantly in midfield recently looking back.

Smartie
11-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Ah okay mate. Vela then and Bigi’ 😂 we’ve actually recruited brilliantly in midfield recently looking back.

Our recruitment for the midfield in the Championship was absolutely phenomenal when you look back.

Scott Allan, John McGinn, Dylan McGeouch, Fraser Fyvie, Marvin Bartley, Liam Henderson.

What exactly did we manage to get right during that brief spell that we’ve struggled so much with before and since?

The 90+2
11-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Our recruitment for the midfield in the Championship was absolutely phenomenal when you look back.

Scott Allan, John McGinn, Dylan McGeouch, Fraser Fyvie, Marvin Bartley, Liam Henderson.

What exactly did we manage to get right during that brief spell that we’ve struggled so much with before and since?

I know! I looked back and was amazed at the signings! It was doomsday losing Scotty first time round but check his replacements 😂 it was as if John Park was working for us on the sly.

davhibby
11-03-2020, 10:19 PM

Only two of those play a similar position or way to him, and were brought in after he left/wasn’t getting any game time. Comparing him to Humphrey and Done etc is like saying we brought in Martin Boyle to replace Liam Craig