PDA

View Full Version : Morton

St.Kristopher
08-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Caught up on a view from the terrace tonight. Nice wee bit about Morton. If I remember right back in our league 1 adventure in 98?, we played our opening game there, with lavety scoring right at the end. It was a night time game I think, we were standing. One thing I do remember though is going to the toilet, in what was a shipping container, a boy in front came out and gave me a lighter ”you’ll need this”, still no idea if it was any more than a shipping container as they were no lights.

One of my favourite seasons following Hibs....was anyone else there?

ekhibee
08-03-2020, 08:41 PM
Caught up on a view from the terrace tonight. Nice wee bit about Morton. If I remember right back in our league 1 adventure in 98?, we played our opening game there, with lavety scoring right at the end. It was a night time game I think, we were standing. One thing I do remember though is going to the toilet, in what was a shipping container, a boy in front came out and gave me a lighter ”you’ll need this”, still no idea if it was any more than a shipping container as they were no lights.

I was at that game too. My lasting memory was standing in deep puddles just outside the turnstiles at Cappielow. The game was pish and so were the pies. I think they still had that big hole in the roof then as well.

Chorley Hibee
08-03-2020, 08:41 PM

Was there that night, was unusual starting the season with an evening game.

Remember it was a dreadful game, settled right at the death by Lavety's finish. Followed it up with a home defeat to Stranraer too.

Halcyon days! 😂🙈

04Sauzee
08-03-2020, 08:44 PM
Remember being there as well, pretry sure it was quite a foggy evening?

Hibs4185
08-03-2020, 08:47 PM
Did we not get beat? I seem to remember getting beat by Stranraer at Easter road as well? Maybe I’m wrong!

bawheid
08-03-2020, 08:51 PM
I was there. Tony Rougier had a good game IIRC. We definitely won it at the death. Proper old football ground, Cappielow.

ekhibee
08-03-2020, 08:51 PM
Did we not get beat? I seem to remember getting beat by Stranraer at Easter road as well? Maybe I’m wrong!

We did indeed get beat by Stranraer, was the scorer not a youngster, 16 or 17?

H18 SFR
08-03-2020, 08:53 PM

Keith Knox rings a bell.

weecounty hibby
08-03-2020, 08:56 PM
Definitely eon the game 0-1. Lavetty scored with about two minutes to go in a dreadful game. There were 5 of us crammed into a VW Polo to the game and none of us were wee laddies. Few cans on the way down in what was probably the most uncomfortable car journey ever. As I say, crap game at 0-0 with the game nearly done my mate decides it's time for a pee before being crammed into the sardine tin again. He made it to the loo just in time to hear the roar as Basher scored the winner. Think it might have been a midweek game as well

Lago
08-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Wasn't at the game but remember the season very well. I was working in Perth at the time and the factory accountant was a mad keen Saints supporter, really got annoyed as Hibs total points for the season surpassed Saints previous record haul. Happy days ��

Smartie
08-03-2020, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Clydebank were in our division that year and that they played their home games at Cappielow so we must have been there at least 4 times that season.

One may well have been a Tuesday night, as I have a strange recollection of having a night out with my brother in Glasgow one night after having been through there. I was a student at the time and it was a student night that he ran at the time.

Craig_in_Prague
08-03-2020, 09:05 PM
Was my 18th birthday and was there.

DJ HIBBY
08-03-2020, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Clydebank were in our division that year and that they played their home games at Cappielow so we must have been there at least 4 times that season.

One may well have been a Tuesday night, as I have a strange recollection of having a night out with my brother in Glasgow one night after having been through there. I was a student at the time and it was a student night that he ran at the time.

They played their games at Boghead, another luxurious arena

PaulSmith
08-03-2020, 09:09 PM

Pretty sure it was Jason Young and he was connected to ex hearts player.

I remember getting wrecked after that game!

ekhibee
08-03-2020, 09:10 PM

I can't remember that, but I know they did play at Boghead for a while. Now that really was a dump.

Smartie
08-03-2020, 09:29 PM

I could swear I went to Cappielow on a Tuesday night to see Hibs play Clydebank. Was that maybe a cup tie, a different season?

Now that you mention it I do remember them playing their home games at Boghead.

Logie Green
08-03-2020, 09:36 PM
Pretty sure it was Jason Young and he was connected to ex hearts player.

I remember getting wrecked after that game!

Jason is the son of ex Hearts and Everton player Alex Young aka The Golden Vision. Jason grew up in the Las Vegas of Midlothian aka Penicuik. 😜

ekhibee
08-03-2020, 09:36 PM
Wasn't at the game but remember the season very well. I was working in Perth at the time and the factory accountant was a mad keen Saints supporter, really got annoyed as Hibs total points for the season surpassed Saints previous record haul. Happy days ��

They still stuffed us in the cup though, unfortunately I was at that one too.

Chorley Hibee
08-03-2020, 09:44 PM
I could swear I went to Cappielow on a Tuesday night to see Hibs play Clydebank. Was that maybe a cup tie, a different season?

Now that you mention it I do remember them playing their home games at Boghead.

Was the following season we played Clydebank at Cappielow in a Scottish Cup replay.

Clydebank had no goalkeeper for that replay and played their manager in goal.

Smartie
08-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Turns out the game I'm thinking of was the following season - we beat Clydebank at Cappielow 3-0 on a Tuesday night - 29th February 2000 of all dates.

20 years ago, almost exactly.

F'ing hell.

Onceinawhile
08-03-2020, 10:16 PM

Absolutely the worst stadium I've ever been to.

I could have sworn we were both behind the goals and in the area beside it (not the stand) but avftt made it look like the bit beside it 'the cowshed' was quite a traditional Norton part.

Also don't remember there being any seats, so maybe I'm wrong?

SquashedFrogg
08-03-2020, 10:35 PM

Very rare occasion I left sharp. Missed the goal.

BroxburnHibee
08-03-2020, 10:51 PM
Wasnt it Scott Bannerman who scored against Morton or has my memory gone?

We got beat off Stranraer in our first home game.

H18S NX
08-03-2020, 11:01 PM
I was there,won 1-0,lavety at the end,raining too,good chippy after the game though.

hibbydog
09-03-2020, 05:28 AM
Memorable season.

We were the biggest club in the first division by a mile at a time when Scottish football was awash with money. Before the transfer window too, so we just about signed a player a week.

Started with guys like Paul Holsgrove, Justin Skinner and Peter Guggi. Ended up with a cracking side including Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu, Stuart Lovell, Stevie Crawford and a Young Kenny Miller.

Great fun !!

scm70nyd1973
09-03-2020, 06:04 AM
I was there,won 1-0,lavety at the end,raining too,good chippy after the game though.

I have never been to Cappielow when it hasn't rained and that includes the summer of 1976 !

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2020, 06:08 AM
I have never been to Cappielow when it hasn't rained and that includes the summer of 1976 !

Beat me to it

Went to Cappielow once in the seventies to watch HIBS and it rained

A quaint wee ground a throw back to the post war years maybes even prewar

Well worth watching that clip in View From The Terrace

Peevemor
09-03-2020, 06:19 AM

Ally McLeod's last game for Hibs was at Cappielow (0-0 IIRC). It was scorchio!

Waxy
09-03-2020, 06:23 AM

Sure it was 1-2 and one of the Stranraer goals was a corker from outside the box.

scm70nyd1973
09-03-2020, 08:51 AM

I couldn’t get a ticket for the Hibs end that day so I was in the home end - it was pissing down there 😂

scm70nyd1973
09-03-2020, 08:56 AM

Slightly off topic but if you went to Cappielow in the 70s then did you ever go to Shawfield - I have this vague recollection of going there on a sunny day to see the Cabbage win 3 nil - barrier was the greyhound track ?

Peevemor
09-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Slightly off topic but if you went to Cappielow in the 70s then did you ever go to Shawfield - I have this vague recollection of going there on a sunny day to see the Cabbage win 3 nil - barrier was the greyhound track ?

I started going regularly in 1980 - Ally MacLeod's last match for us was in 1982.

Clyde in the League Cup was one of my first away games. 1980 - we won 2-0.

Cataplana
09-03-2020, 09:56 AM

I remember two lads trying to sell the leftover pies on the way out.

Inch joe
09-03-2020, 10:35 AM

I also thought that

bigwheel
09-03-2020, 10:42 AM
I also thought that

Won 1-0. But did get beat by Stranraer in first home league game

CropleyisGod
09-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Was at the Morton game in League 1 season. My abiding memory of it was the sheer physicality dished out to Hibs players. They seemed shell shocked and I concluded they had different Laws in the lower division. We were lucky to win. In the first game at home did the Stranraer manager not say that he didn't know how they got the second goal because he thought they'd only crossed the half way line once?!

Peevemor
09-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Was at the Morton game in League 1 season. My abiding memory of it was the sheer physicality dished out to Hibs players. They seemed shell shocked and I concluded they had different Laws in the lower division. We were lucky to win. In the first game at home did the Stranraer manager not say that he didn't know how they got the second goal because he thought they'd only crossed the half way line once?!

Campbell Money was Stranraer manager that season.

On one of our trips to Stranraer a few of my mates stayed the night and made a weekend of it. They bumped into Campbell Money in a bar on the Saturday night. When asked how he thought Stranraer would do for the remainder of the season, he answered "oh, we'll get relegated". When he saw the look of surprise on my mates' faces he shrugged his shoulders and said "Well who else is going to get f***in' relegated?". :greengrin

Lago
09-03-2020, 12:38 PM
They still stuffed us in the cup though, unfortunately I was at that one too.
I had to face him at work 😕

h1bs4life
09-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Remember it well , we had a massive support there , ground was a dump.
Lavety last minute winner. Following week lost to Stranrear. Not long after that Big Mixu signed and it changed our season. Latapy followed , Le God made his debut at Brockville along with a centre half , can't mind his man,. Sure we were down to 10 men at Brockville and won with a deflected shot.
Remember going to every away game that season , beat Hamilton at Firrhill to win the league, walked out that game thinking thank **** lets make sure it never happens again.

weecounty hibby
09-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Remember it well , we had a massive support there , ground was a dump.
Lavety last minute winner. Following week lost to Stranrear. Not long after that Big Mixu signed and it changed our season. Latapy followed , Le God made his debut at Brockville along with a centre half , can't mind his man,. Sure we were down to 10 men at Brockville and won with a deflected shot.
Remember going to every away game that season , beat Hamilton at Firrhill to win the league, walked out that game thinking thank **** lets make sure it never happens again.
Alex Marinkovic I think was the other signing at the same time as le God. Think he may have played once!! Remember Lataoy at Ayr in a 3-3 draw was superb not long after he signed, maybe even his debut

KingPat4
09-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Keith Knox rings a bell.

Jason Young , son of Alex, scored the winner. A Jambo from Penicuik.

Other than that, he's a decent guy.

Hibby70
09-03-2020, 06:31 PM
I remember a limousine pulling up outside the stadium. Lots of wee Morton fans running up to it expecting a celebrity to get out. Then out pile a group of well oiled Hibs fans.

h1bs4life
09-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Alex Marinkovic I think was the other signing at the same time as le God. Think he may have played once!! Remember Lataoy at Ayr in a 3-3 draw was superb not long after he signed, maybe even his debut

That was the guy, don't think he played many games .
When big Mixu signed there was quite a few saying what we signing him for.
Turned out to be a great bit of busines, he was the one who started getting us up the league to be joined later by Frank and Russel .
As the song goes Mixu Pattelinion what a ****ing signing

Stevie Reid
09-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Memorable season.

We were the biggest club in the first division by a mile at a time when Scottish football was awash with money. Before the transfer window too, so we just about signed a player a week.

Started with guys like Paul Holsgrove, Justin Skinner and Peter Guggi. Ended up with a cracking side including Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu, Stuart Lovell, Stevie Crawford and a Young Kenny Miller.

Great fun !!

Ended it with Justin Skinner too. Played 35 times that season. Solid player for us.

Hiber-nation
09-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Ended it with Justin Skinner too. Played 35 times that season. Solid player for us.

Yep I know it was only the Championship but he was a joy to watch that season, very underrated.

bawheid
09-03-2020, 09:24 PM

Alex Marinkov. Signed as a translator for big Franck, such was the cash we were spending to get out of the 1st Division.

Smartie
10-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Yep I know it was only the Championship but he was a joy to watch that season, very underrated.

He was a very good player for us that year.

Iirc he scored a cracker away to Airdrie - one of those where a corner gets played back outside the area and it’s hit first time.

Since452
10-03-2020, 08:15 AM
The boy we signed from Morton, Derek Collins, was a massively underrated player. Thought he was brilliant. One of my favourite seasons.

bigwheel
10-03-2020, 08:17 AM
The boy we signed from Morton, Derek Collins, was a massively underrated player. Thought he was brilliant. One of my favourite seasons.

I’d agree with that. Really good pro. Did well for us ....

Hiber-nation
10-03-2020, 08:27 AM

Remember him scoring with a brilliant lob....but who was it against? Dunfermline??

Peevemor
10-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Remember him scoring with a brilliant lob....but who was it against? Dunfermline??

OK this is a long shot - is that the one where Latapy (I think) chipped the ball forward into the box and the backspin on the ball meant it sat up perfectly for Collins to lob it in? Maybe not, but there was definitely a goal like that involving the pair of them.

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2020, 08:43 AM
OK this is a long shot - is that the one where Latapy (I think) chipped the ball forward into the box and the backspin on the ball meant it sat up perfectly for Collins to lob it in? Maybe not, but there was definitely a goal like that involving the pair of them.

4-1 win versus Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup at home the only goal Collins scored for us other scorers Grant Brebner Kenny Miller and og

A very good competent full back underrated never let us down

Hope that helps

JimBHibees
10-03-2020, 08:48 AM

Kind of let us down when said he was fit in a Scottish cup semi we ended up losing late in to Aberdeen.

Iggy Pope
10-03-2020, 08:49 AM
I think Derek Collins had to retire from the game through injury while still with Hibs.

Peevemor
10-03-2020, 08:53 AM
4-1 win versus Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup at home the only goal Collins scored for us other scorers Grant Brebner Kenny Miller and og

Hope that helps

I'm not even sure that Collins scored the goal I'm thinking about - he might have been the one that chipped the ball in for someone else.

Since452
10-03-2020, 08:54 AM
I'm not even sure that Collins scored the goal I'm thinking about - he might have been the one that chipped the ball in for someone else.

That rings a bell

Hiber-nation
10-03-2020, 08:54 AM

Hope that helps

:thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
10-03-2020, 09:01 AM
I think Derek Collins had to retire from the game through injury while still with Hibs.

You not thinking of Tom Smith S? Collins went back to Morton and played for a few more seasons I think.

Stevie Reid
10-03-2020, 09:25 AM

The goal that Billy described is the one that I thought you were talking about as well. Total peach.

Stevie Reid
10-03-2020, 09:30 AM
He was a very good player for us that year.

Iirc he scored a cracker away to Airdrie - one of those where a corner gets played back outside the area and it’s hit first time.

He did indeed, beat them 4-1 that day I think. They were managed by Alex McDonald and still had the Jambo core to the team. Think Kenny Black scored first for them.

Skinner was good for the close of the relegation season as well - McLeish came in and immediately noted that we had no midfield at all (amazingly, Jim Duffy had Paul Kane on trial and passed on him, and he went on to be the midfield general for St. Johnstone for a good few years). Eck brought in Brebner and Skinner, who were both very good.

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2020, 09:38 AM
Pretty sure another player of that era Paul Holsgrove had a son Jordan born in Edinburgh who is decent and has been capped by Scotland at under age level

Paul Holsgrove played 20 times for HIBS scoring once and to keep it on topic played in the 1-0 Barry Lavety game at Cappielow 😁

Iggy Pope
10-03-2020, 11:18 AM
You not thinking of Tom Smith S? Collins went back to Morton and played for a few more seasons I think.

You’re right. **** me Im decrepit. :greengrin I never used to get this stuff wrong J.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2020, 02:09 PM
You’re right. **** me Im decrepit. :greengrin I never used to get this stuff wrong J.

Welcome to my world, S :greengrin: