PDA

View Full Version : NHC rivalry favourites

Lancs Harp
08-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Just settling down with a Heineken zero (Ive given the demon drink up for lent, Mrs doing it, had no choice) ready for the Manchester derby. I dont know about you but although I just love watching football, I tend to favour one team over another when Im watching a game on tv although the overidding thing for me is a good game.

Who would you tend to favour in the following derbies and rivalry. I'm stressing here, before the thread gets mauled by the die hard sanhedrin, that its just favouring a team and not supporting numerous teams :greengrin

I'll start with todays offering and apologies if your favourite rivalry isnt on the list, there are too many!! (feel free to add though) I'll start with 10 of them.

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

Pretty Boy
08-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Just settling down with a Heineken zero (Ive given the demon drink up for lent, Mrs doing it, had no choice) ready for the Manchester derby. I dont know about you but although I just love watching football, I tend to favour one team over another when Im watching a game on tv although the overidding thing for me is a good game.

Who would you tend to favour in the following derbies and rivalry. I'm stressing here, before the thread gets mauled by the die hard sanhedrin, that its just favouring a team and not supporting numerous teams :greengrin

I'll start with todays offering and apologies if your favourite rivalry isnt on the list, there are too many!! (feel free to add though) I'll start with 10 of them.

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

United
Milan
Barcelona
Everton
Dortmund
Benfica
St Pauli
Roma
Boca
Betis

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2020, 03:32 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

Utd ( Just to make clinching the league quicker)
Inter
Barca
Liverpool
Dortmund
Benfica
Hamburg
Roma
Boca
Sevilla

The 90+2
08-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

Utd
Inter
Barca
Everton
Dortmund
Benfica
St Pauli
Roma
River Plate
Betis

JohnM1875
08-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

City
Ac
Real
Everton
Dortmund
Benfica
Genuinely no preference. No idea about either team. Just know St Pauli are trendy.
Lazio
Boca
Betis.

Coco Bryce
08-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Darren Fletcher said on Bein Sports before the game that the rivalry between Utd & City is nothing compared to Utd & Liverpool.

Lancs Harp
08-03-2020, 03:45 PM
Darren Fletcher said on Bein Sports before the game that the rivalry between Utd & City is nothing compared to Utd & Liverpool.

Its only a bit of fun mate. I didnt want to include the same team twice and seeing as United were playing City today it seemed more apt. I dont think I stated it was a list of the BIGGEST rivalries now did I?

Coco Bryce
08-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Its only a bit of fun mate. I didnt want to include the same team twice and seeing as United were playing City today it seemed more apt. I dont think I stated it was a list of the BIGGEST rivalries now did I?

I know mate. Not intended to be. Just thought it was a funny thing to say on Fletcher part. Sorry if you think I got the wrong end of the stick.

Hibeesmad
08-03-2020, 03:51 PM
I'm not too fussed on the derbies abroad. I like the local ones down south like Newcastle v Sunderland, Sheffield Utd v Sheffield Wed etc

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2020, 03:56 PM
I dont really care either way with any of the games down south or abroad, in fact i find myself watching fewer and fewer games on tv apart from us these days.

If i do watch any games, i find myself on the computer or doing other things as well, and only really taking a passing interest in the game.

DH1875
08-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Partizan V Red star Belgrade.

Panathanikos V Olympiakos.

Galatasary V Fenerbace.

PSG V Marseille or Monaco

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 03:58 PM

Manchester Utd v Liverpool is the biggest rivalry in England.

DH1875
08-03-2020, 04:01 PM
United
Inter
Real
Liverpool
Dortmund
Sporting
Hamburg
Lazio
River Plate
Betis

Since452
08-03-2020, 04:04 PM
I struggle to get excited about any game not involving Hibs but some of the Turkish and Greek derbys are worth a watch for the sheer madness in the stands

lord bunberry
08-03-2020, 04:10 PM
I dont really care either way with any of the games down south or abroad, in fact i find myself watching fewer and fewer games on tv apart from us these days.

If i do watch any games, i find myself on the computer or doing other things as well, and only really taking a passing interest in the game.
I’m the same, unless I’ve got a bet on it I’m only half watching it really.

Pagan Hibernia
10-03-2020, 11:40 AM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

united
milan
barca
everton
dortmund
benfica
st Pauli
roma
boca
betis

other derbies I enjoy include the dundee derby, Linfield v glentoran, bohemians v shamrock rovers, the Sheffield derby, Newcastle/Sunderland, and Villa/Birmingham.

Couldnt really care less about London

The 90+2
10-03-2020, 11:46 AM

Blackpool Fleetwood?

Orange v Barton?

Renfrew_Hibby
10-03-2020, 11:52 AM
Surely Dortmunds biggest rivals would be Schalke 04 and not Bayern.
The biggest match in Germany by far.

lyonhibs
10-03-2020, 11:57 AM
A derby has to be with a team from the same city or in the case of a 1 team city, with another 1 team city in close proximity.

Everything else is a big match.

The 90+2
10-03-2020, 12:05 PM
A derby has to be with a team from the same city or in the case of a 1 team city, with another 1 team city in close proximity.

Everything else is a big match.

North London Derby - Arsenal (now they’ve both changed managers)

Best of all:

Basque derby: Real Sociedad 👍👍

The 90+2
10-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Inch v Libby used to be a decent derby back in the day too.

hfc rd
10-03-2020, 12:15 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

Man Utd
Inter
Real Madrid
Everton
Dortmund
Benfica
St Pauli
Lazio
River Plate
Sevilla

Pagan Hibernia
10-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Interesting that many favour united now over city. I’d be almost certain if the question was asked 15 years ago the answers would be very different.

A few years of success and dodgy ownership (and thats being generous) appears to have washed away a lot of the goodwill city used to get from the neutral.

it would also seem united aren’t as despised as they were, now that they don’t win things anymore

calumhibee1
10-03-2020, 12:40 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

United
AC
Barca
Everton
Dortmund
Benfica
St Pauli
Roma
Boca
Betis

Strange how teams I have no affiliation to and a lot of games I wouldn’t even watch that I have a team I’d want to win :greengrin

Diclonius
10-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Man Utd v Man City (City prior to them winning everything)
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli (neither, support Werder Bremen)
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

hibsbollah
10-03-2020, 12:47 PM
Partizan V Red star Belgrade.

Panathanikos V Olympiakos.

Galatasary V Fenerbace.

PSG V Marseille or Monaco

Nobody really cares about Monaco, average gate about 7000 tourists and retirees playing on their phones. plastic team.

Le classique has probably been overtaken by Lyon v St Etienne and Lyon v Marseille as genuine big rivalries where the fans are desperate to win.

Don't care
Inter
Barca
Liverpool
Dortmund
Don't care
Don't care
Roma
River
Don't care

Since452
10-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Interesting that many favour united now over city. I’d be almost certain if the question was asked 15 years ago the answers would be very different.

A few years of success and dodgy ownership (and thats being generous) appears to have washed away a lot of the goodwill city used to get from the neutral.

it would also seem united aren’t as despised as they were, now that they don’t win things anymore

Easy to hate teams that are winning most of the time like Man United were in the 90's and 00's. It's more strange up here though as Rangers were hated when I was growing up in the 90's but are still more universally unpopular than Celtic despite not winning anything in almost a decade.

leithsansiro
10-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Even though it’s only Hibs I actually care about, it’s weird how I too still have preferences one way or another. For example, I’d always go for Roma over Lazio, because the latter typically have a right wing tendency. Milan always seemed cooler than Inter when I was growing up, so they’d get my vote.

Boca / River is a hard one, as both of their strips were cool looking. Shifted my leanings towards Boca after visiting Argentina though and going to their stadium for a visit

I wonder what someone on another random forum would make of the Edinburgh derby. Who would neutrals back?

Pagan Hibernia
10-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Even though it’s only Hibs I actually care about, it’s weird how I too still have preferences one way or another. For example, I’d always go for Roma over Lazio, because the latter typically have a right wing tendency. Milan always seemed cooler than Inter when I was growing up, so they’d get my vote.

Boca / River is a hard one, as both of their strips were cool looking. Shifted my leanings towards Boca after visiting Argentina though and going to their stadium for a visit

I wonder what someone on another random forum would make of the Edinburgh derby. Who would neutrals back?

Hibs I reckon.

jambos won’t like it but they know and we know that Hibs have always been the ‘cooler’ team in Edinburgh. From our colours, to our anthem, to our traditional playing style.

hearts are, well, just ughh

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2020, 04:29 PM
Blackpool Fleetwood?

Orange v Barton?

Dont give a toss about either, apparently they played each other last weekend and i never even knew it was on.

lyonhibs
10-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Hibs I reckon.

jambos won’t like it but they know and we know that Hibs have always been the ‘cooler’ team in Edinburgh. From our colours, to our anthem, to our traditional playing style.

hearts are, well, just ughh

Apart from Shaun Lawson, Uruguay's premier Jambo. If your ask nicely, and even if you don't, he'll gladly treat you to a 14 page diatribe about where his love for the Jambos came from.

Potty78
10-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Sunderland vs newcastle was a great derby I been too. Hate each other big time!

Green Reaper
10-03-2020, 09:30 PM
West Ham v Millwall can be a tad tense 😁

Renfrew_Hibby
10-03-2020, 10:42 PM
Some more white hot derby clashes from around the world. My favourites being the home sides.

Saint Etienne v Lyon
Feyenoord v Ajax
Cardiff v Swansea
Newells Old Boys v Rosario Central
Portland v Seattle
Orlando Pirates v Kaiser Chiefs
Palmeiras v Corinthians

superfurryhibby
10-03-2020, 10:57 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

You forgot to mention Rangers v Celtic, the biggest derby in the world.....:offski:

Mango Man
10-03-2020, 10:59 PM
Celtic v Rangers.....

😬😀

Mango Man
10-03-2020, 11:01 PM
You forgot to mention Rangers v Celtic, the biggest derby in the world.....:offski:

Beat me to it, well done you 😀

AZhibee
10-03-2020, 11:33 PM
América v Chivas is good

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2020, 01:14 AM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

United ........ My big bro was born in Manchester and supports them ... and Hibs, sort of.
Inter
Neither Real or Barca .... Outside of Scotland the two clubs I genuinely have no time for.
Everton .... My defacto English club
Dortmund
Porto .... I've met Portuguese folk from all over that country and they all supported bloody Benfica
St Pauli ... coz I'm cool and how can you not like a club brave enough to play in brown? Also Hamburg's alleged Hun connections
Roma ... for the reason everybody else is gonna give.
River Plate ... Coz everybody else seems to favour Boca
Betis ... for the one obvious reason

Portland Timbers v Seattle Sounders .... Coz I like to help up and coming newbies, I like MLS and Portland are my team of choice :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
11-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

City - growing up United were the glory hunting team.
AC Milan - Inter ultras have nazi links
Barcelona - Franco's fascists aren't for me
Everton - just because they're normally underdogs
Dortmund - good support and Bayern win everything
Porto - simply because Latapy way at them
St Pauli - anti-fascist and everything Celtic pretend to be but really aren't
Roma - because they're not Nazio
Boca - proper working class team unlike their neighbours who have delusions of grandure - reminds me of someone else.
Betis - wear green and underdogs.

The 90+2
11-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Man Utd v Man City (City prior to them winning everything)
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli (neither, support Werder Bremen)
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

Did we just become best friends? 😂😂

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2020, 12:09 PM
City - growing up United were the glory hunting team.
AC Milan - Inter ultras have nazi links
Barcelona - Franco's fascists aren't for me
Everton - just because they're normally underdogs
Dortmund - good support and Bayern win everything
Porto - simply because Latapy way at them
St Pauli - anti-fascist and everything Celtic pretend to be but really aren't
Roma - because they're not Nazio
Boca - proper working class team unlike their neighbours who have delusions of grandure - reminds me of someone else.
Betis - wear green and underdogs.

Not sure that this is as accurate as football myth likes to make out. River actually started life in the Boca area of Buenos Aires before moving to a wealthier suburb. Even their nickname 'The Millionaires' has nothing to do with their social status or the folk who support them, but an expensive transfer policy in the 30s. Your average River fan is just as likely to be 'working class' as a Boca one does.

Just like us with Hertz .... in truth yer average Jambo is just as likely to be working class as yer average Hibby. Its probably true though that yer upper middle class Edinburgh fitba fan is more likely to be a Jambo, which is where we get the Rover Driving cardigan wearing image from ... no doubt they are more 'establishment' than we are :greengrin

Renfrew_Hibby
11-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Boca are defo an establishment side (as are River) I think the current right wing president is in fact a Boca fanatic. So don't give me all that poor barrio, left wing club claptrap.

Diclonius
11-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Boca are defo an establishment side (as are River) I think the current right wing president is in fact a Boca fanatic. So don't give me all that poor barrio, left wing club claptrap.

My preference for Boca is based entirely on River fans' behaviour during the Copa Libertadores final.

wpj
12-03-2020, 06:57 AM
Fortuna Düsseldorf Vs FC Köln
Finn Harps Vs Derry City
Have enjoyed both games. Have listed the Home teams as the ones I "follow"

lugz
12-03-2020, 07:17 AM
Man City
AC Milan
Barca
Everton
Dortmund
Porto
St Pauli
Lazio
River Plate v Boca (neither)
Betis

Sunderland over Newcastle
Chelsea over all london teams
Southampton over Pompey
Villa over Birmingham

DH1875
12-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Just realised I said Sporting Lisbon lol.

edinburghhibee
12-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

I’m lucky enough to have travelled to a few of the big games in Europe. A group of 6 of us go away every year and take in a European game.

Inter v ac Milan - was there last year 3-2 inter what an atmosphere easily the best game not to involve the Hibees. The San Siro was unbelievable. I grew up playing fifa 98 and things and the san siro always featured in FIFA’s so it was brilliant visiting it before it’s ripped down.

Sporting v Benfica - I didn’t enjoy this game boring 0-0 and sporting celebrated like they’d won the league. Weirdly Porto won the league that night due to the result and their fans were going mental in the streets outside. Atmosphere wasn’t great.

Boca v River - I travelled to Madrid for the cup final. Great game 3-1 to river but it was more like a friendly terrible decision to play it in Madrid. Has me desperate to get to Argentina for the real thing.

Roma v Lazio - been twice now and been in both ends. I have to say as much as most of them are right wing nazi lovers I preferred being in the Lazio end. Maybe because Lazio were the away team and I think you always get a better away crowd.

Up next year for us is the Holy War in Poland!!!

Nothing beats hibs winning at tynie tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
12-03-2020, 09:55 AM
United ........ My big bro was born in Manchester and supports them ... and Hibs, sort of.
Inter
Neither Real or Barca .... Outside of Scotland the two clubs I genuinely have no time for.
Everton .... My defacto English club
Dortmund
Porto .... I've met Portuguese folk from all over that country and they all supported bloody Benfica
St Pauli ... coz I'm cool and how can you not like a club brave enough to play in brown? Also Hamburg's alleged Hun connections
Roma ... for the reason everybody else is gonna give.
River Plate ... Coz everybody else seems to favour Boca
Betis ... for the one obvious reason

Portland Timbers v Seattle Sounders .... Coz I like to help up and coming newbies, I like MLS and Portland are my team of choice :greengrin

Benfica have active sporting clubs all over Portugal. One of the reasons for their popularity. Also fans were anti -dictatorship so a way of expressing without being shot. Benfica vs. Sporting great rivalry to.

ErinGoBraghHFC
12-03-2020, 11:00 PM

Man Utd v Man City
Inter v AC Milan
Real Madrid v Barca
Liverpool v Everton
Dortmund v Bayern
Benfica v Porto
Hamburg v St Pauli
Roma v Lazio
River Plate v Boca
Sevilla v Betis

United over City
AC over Inter