PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 07 03 20)

Jonnyboy
07-03-2020, 09:06 PM
If I borrow and rearrange a few words from a Proclaimers song I can sum up how I felt at full time today. I went from happiness to misery in the space of around twelve minutes. In that time Hibs lost Whittaker to a sending off and their lead to a double quick strike by the hosts. Up until Whittaker’s second yellow I felt we were poised to secure all three points and in fact could have been three up at the interval had a little more composure been shown when two gilt edged chances presented themselves.

Following the painful loss to Hearts, Jack Ross replaced Omeonga with Whittaker in midfield whilst Jamie Gullan filled the spot vacated by the suspended Marc McNulty. Aberdeen were without their talisman Sam Cosgrove and the truth is that without him they look a very ordinary side indeed, at least when facing eleven opponents.

Hibs started the game really well and a fantastic cross from the right picked out the lurking Christian Doidge who firmly headed an effort only to witness Joe Lewis scooping the ball away before it entered the net he was defending. At the other end Marciano had only to deal with a couple of weak attempts from Ferguson before a stunning through ball by Martin Boyle saw Gullan scampering free of his marker but as he approached the goal Joe Lewis got down smartly to save with his feet. Those two Hibs chances were missed when scoring them looked easier and would come back to haunt Hibs later in the game.

As Martin Boyle charged into the box to get on to the end of a long cross field ball he seemed to be bumped and went over looking for a penalty. Personally I thought the contact was minimal and that the referee was right to wave claims away. Next, a tumble by Ferguson in the Hibs box brought loud appeals for a penalty but even from the distance I watched it from it was clearly not a spot kick. Indeed, I felt Ferguson should have been booked for simulation

Hibs were looking the more likely to score and with around five minutes to go until the break a worldy pass from Scott Allan picked out Doidge who rounded Lewis before firing home from a tight angle. I confess I thought Doidge was offside but have since established it was a beautifully timed pass and run that allowed the big striker to take his total to 18 for the season so far.

There had been, as you might expect when Aberdeen are the opponents, a few crunching tackles in the midfield area but John Beaton seemed oblivious to most until Whittaker committed one offence too many and was yellow carded. At the time my brother and I both felt it might be opportune to replace Whitty at half time because the threat of a second yellow was always a real one.

Ten minutes into the second half, Whittaker who had been a stand out in midfield, overstretched in a challenge and as Ferguson hit the deck John Beaton went quickly to his pocket and Whitty was off. Hibs sacrificed young Jamie Gullan to draft Hallberg into the midfield slot left open by the departing Whittaker but it has to be said that, just like last Tuesday against Hearts, we conceded a soft goal and immediately descended into panic mode. The Aberdeen equaliser came when a ball from the left arrived at waist height and as Jackson tried to sort out his feet to deal with it he watched in horror as the ball struck him and flew into the net.

The Dons could sense blood and defensively we were all over the place. A corner was conceded and as the ball arrived at the back post, Marciano was posted missing and Hanlon lost his man allowing Considine to bundle the ball home from close range. Hibs immediately replaced the ineffective Scott Allan with Omeonga, perhaps in the hope that his buzz bomb style might force the Aberdeen midfield to rush their passes. It didn’t work and we remained on the back foot, never looking like we might sneak a draw.

Jack Ross then made what I thought to be a bizarre decision by replacing Stevenson with Horgan, thereby leaving us horribly exposed down our left side and the sub had only been on the park for a few seconds when he and Hallberg were left for dead near the corner flag, allowing Niall McGinn to fire in a low cross which Anderson steered towards goal only to see the ball deflect into the path of Curtis Main who fired home with his effort seeming to go right through Marciano.

As I left the ground I couldn’t help but wonder whether Hibs ever practice defending when reduced to ten men. It certainly didn’t seem so as we were awful after the sending off.

The players

Marciano – I am fast losing patience with Rocky whose distribution remains woeful and because his unwillingness to come off his line is often costly. Aberdeen’s second goal came from a lofted corner to the back post and Rocky could and should have come to pluck the ball out of the air. He didn’t and we lost a goal because of that.

McGinn - Until the sending off he had been doing well but seemed to become afflicted by the jitteriness of his defensive colleagues. His challenge on Kennedy late in the second half looked a shocker and he may have been lucky to only get a yellow card for it.

Jackson – Adam had a decent first half and looked solid but the minute he conceded the own goal his concentration and composure seemed to drain out of him.

Hanlon – Like Jackson, Paul had a decent first half but I’m sorry, as captain, he should have been rallying the troops when we went down to ten. There was no sign of that or anything like it.

Stevenson – This was another below par performance from Lewis who really is going through a tough time of it at the moment. He was poor but was no more to blame for the outcome than any of his team mates.

Boyle – Martin spent a lot of his time either trying to escape from Kennedy or to back track and mark Kennedy. As a result his input wasn’t great although his pass to release Gullan was a peach.

Docherty – After such a promising start in the green and white he’s had a pretty poor time of it in the last two games. I don’t question his commitment in any way but I do question his decision making at times.

Whittaker – Ironically, in my eyes at least, I thought Whitty was our best player in the first half. He seemed to me to be the only midfielder willing to put a foot in whilst others around him shied away. His second yellow was silly as a player of his experience should never have got sucked in to making the tackle.

Allan – Take away his glorious through ball to Doidge and there are no more positives to highlight. He runs around a lot but is often caught on his back foot or is failing to commit properly to a tackle.

Gullan – Jamie started the game well and showed good movement in trying to find space. He’ll be annoyed with himself that he didn’t finish the one on one with Lewis.

Doidge – The big fella tried so hard today and took his goal really well although I felt he should have scored with the earlier header. On a day when there were no standouts I’m giving my man of the match award to him because he never stops from the first minute to the last.

Hallberg – Melker took up the Whittaker position but in truth he offered very little protection to the defence. Hibs were so far gone by that time he’d have had to produce a miracle to get them back on course.

Omeonga – My brother doesn’t get the hype and on today’s performance I see where he’s coming from. Stephane runs around a lot without doing anything in particular. Personally, I think there’s a player in there but it didn’t show today.

Horgan – Asking him to push us on for an equaliser (why else replace a defender with an attacking wide player?) was just lunacy in my view. Horgan can’t tackle and rarely lifts his head when he gets forward with the ball.

The referee – John Beaton was poor today and I can’t imagine anyone else thinking otherwise. He let so many obvious fouls go – for both sides – and blew up for innocuous challenges.

Jack Ross – I’ve read his after match comments and frankly I thought ‘No 5hit Sherlock’ to his obvious statements. We need to coach our players in how to cope in that situation Jack and on today’s performance no such coaching is obvious.

The fans – Around a thousand of us, let down once again.

BILLYHIBS
07-03-2020, 09:22 PM
If I borrow and rearrange a few words from a Proclaimers song I can sum up how I felt at full time today. I went from happiness to misery in the space of around twelve minutes. In that time Hibs lost Whittaker to a sending off and their lead to a double quick strike by the hosts. Up until Whittaker’s second yellow I felt we were poised to secure all three points and in fact could have been three up at the interval had a little more composure been shown when two gilt edged chances presented themselves.

Following the painful loss to Hearts, Jack Ross replaced Omeonga with Whittaker in midfield whilst Jamie Gullan filled the spot vacated by the suspended Marc McNulty. Aberdeen were without their talisman Sam Cosgrove and the truth is that without him they look a very ordinary side indeed, at least when facing eleven opponents.

Hibs started the game really well and a fantastic cross from the right picked out the lurking Christian Doidge who firmly headed an effort only to witness Joe Lewis scooping the ball away before it entered the net he was defending. At the other end Marciano had only to deal with a couple of weak attempts from Ferguson before a stunning through ball by Martin Boyle saw Gullan scampering free of his marker but as he approached the goal Joe Lewis got down smartly to save with his feet. Those two Hibs chances were missed when scoring them looked easier and would come back to haunt Hibs later in the game.

As Martin Boyle charged into the box to get on to the end of a long cross field ball he seemed to be bumped and went over looking for a penalty. Personally I thought the contact was minimal and that the referee was right to wave claims away. Next, a tumble by Ferguson in the Hibs box brought loud appeals for a penalty but even from the distance I watched it from it was clearly not a spot kick. Indeed, I felt Ferguson should have been booked for simulation

Hibs were looking the more likely to score and with around five minutes to go until the break a worldy pass from Scott Allan picked out Doidge who rounded Lewis before firing home from a tight angle. I confess I thought Doidge was offside but have since established it was a beautifully timed pass and run that allowed the big striker to take his total to 18 for the season so far.

There had been, as you might expect when Aberdeen are the opponents, a few crunching tackles in the midfield area but John Beaton seemed oblivious to most until Whittaker committed one offence too many and was yellow carded. At the time my brother and I both felt it might be opportune to replace Whitty at half time because the threat of a second yellow was always a real one.

Ten minutes into the second half, Whittaker who had been a stand out in midfield, overstretched in a challenge and as Ferguson hit the deck John Beaton went quickly to his pocket and Whitty was off. Hibs sacrificed young Jamie Gullan to draft Hallberg into the midfield slot left open by the departing Whittaker but it has to be said that, just like last Tuesday against Hearts, we conceded a soft goal and immediately descended into panic mode. The Aberdeen equaliser came when a ball from the left arrived at waist height and as Jackson tried to sort out his feet to deal with it he watched in horror as the ball struck him and flew into the net.

The Dons could sense blood and defensively we were all over the place. A corner was conceded and as the ball arrived at the back post, Marciano was posted missing and Hanlon lost his man allowing Considine to bundle the ball home from close range. Hibs immediately replaced the ineffective Scott Allan with Omeonga, perhaps in the hope that his buzz bomb style might force the Aberdeen midfield to rush their passes. It didn’t work and we remained on the back foot, never looking like we might sneak a draw.

Jack Ross then made what I thought to be a bizarre decision by replacing Stevenson with Horgan, thereby leaving us horribly exposed down our left side and the sub had only been on the park for a few seconds when he and Hallberg were left for dead near the corner flag, allowing Niall McGinn to fire in a low cross which Anderson steered towards goal only to see the ball deflect into the path of Curtis Main who fired home with his effort seeming to go right through Marciano.

As I left the ground I couldn’t help but wonder whether Hibs ever practice defending when reduced to ten men. It certainly didn’t seem so as we were awful after the sending off.

The players

Marciano – I am fast losing patience with Rocky whose distribution remains woeful and because his unwillingness to come off his line is often costly. Aberdeen’s second goal came from a lofted corner to the back post and Rocky could and should have come to pluck the ball out of the air. He didn’t and we lost a goal because of that.

McGinn - Until the sending off he had been doing well but seemed to become afflicted by the jitteriness of his defensive colleagues. His challenge on Kennedy late in the second half looked a shocker and he may have been lucky to only get a yellow card for it.

Jackson – Adam had a decent first half and looked solid but the minute he conceded the own goal his concentration and composure seemed to drain out of him.

Hanlon – Like Jackson, Paul had a decent first half but I’m sorry, as captain, he should have been rallying the troops when we went down to ten. There was no sign of that or anything like it.

Stevenson – This was another below par performance from Lewis who really is going through a tough time of it at the moment. He was poor but was no more to blame for the outcome than any of his team mates.

Boyle – Martin spent a lot of his time either trying to escape from Kennedy or to back track and mark Kennedy. As a result his input wasn’t great although his pass to release Gullan was a peach.

Docherty – After such a promising start in the green and white he’s had a pretty poor time of it in the last two games. I don’t question his commitment in any way but I do question his decision making at times.

Whittaker – Ironically, in my eyes at least, I thought Whitty was our best player in the first half. He seemed to me to be the only midfielder willing to put a foot in whilst others around him shied away. His second yellow was silly as a player of his experience should never have got sucked in to making the tackle.

Allan – Take away his glorious through ball to Doidge and there are no more positives to highlight. He runs around a lot but is often caught on his back foot or is failing to commit properly to a tackle.

Gullan – Jamie started the game well and showed good movement in trying to find space. He’ll be annoyed with himself that he didn’t finish the one on one with Lewis.

Doidge – The big fella tried so hard today and took his goal really well although I felt he should have scored with the earlier header. On a day when there were no standouts I’m giving my man of the match award to him because he never stops from the first minute to the last.

Hallberg – Melker took up the Whittaker position but in truth he offered very little protection to the defence. Hibs were so far gone by that time he’d have had to produce a miracle to get them back on course.

Omeonga – My brother doesn’t get the hype and on today’s performance I see where he’s coming from. Stephane runs around a lot without doing anything in particular. Personally, I think there’s a player in there but it didn’t show today.

Horgan – Asking him to push us on for an equaliser (why else replace a defender with an attacking wide player?) was just lunacy in my view. Horgan can’t tackle and rarely lifts his head when he gets forward with the ball.

The referee – John Beaton was poor today and I can’t imagine anyone else thinking otherwise. He let so many obvious fouls go – for both sides – and blew up for innocuous challenges.

Jack Ross – I’ve read his after match comments and frankly I thought ‘No 5hit Sherlock’ to his obvious statements. We need to coach our players in how to cope in that situation Jack and on today’s performance no such coaching is obvious.

Brilliant Jonnyboy and once again many thanks for posting

Sounds like a clear out required from the goalkeeper out

Not looking forward to the upcoming Cup Semi Final

London Hibs Supporters Club
07-03-2020, 09:28 PM

Are you going to go to your grave not realising that this cretin has been utterly Tom Kite his full career?

He won't be coming to a Burns Night any time soon (or ever in my lifetime).

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 09:32 PM
The thing is, you can’t coach players on how to cope in a certain situation.

That comes through the player going through a situation in the past, having a bit about them or being a leader/having leaders around them.

It’s all well and good him or the players saying this or that but when it comes down to it that’s when you really see what people are made of.

Thought Docherty was very quiet but he does have a real hunger about him and is often trying to lift the team.

Actually thought Omeonga was decent when he came on and showed some really good touches in an unfamiliar position.

Agree re Whittikar.

Stevenson is playing really poor at the moment and is still trying to play as full back/staying back when his job is to bomb on. Distribution has been abysmal and we’re screaming to get Newall back fit.

Boyle was very quiet and was imo, dominated by Kennedy who was very good both going forward and defensively.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 09:33 PM
Are you going to go to your grave not realising that this cretin has been utterly Tom Kite his full career?

Take a day off. Or open another club

Alfred E Newman
07-03-2020, 09:36 PM

Get a grip man.

Eyrie
07-03-2020, 09:37 PM

I'd describe your comments as being less a knee jerk reaction than a complete reality dislocation.

Stevenson isn't playing well at the moment but that doesn't justify an attempt to rewrite his history with our club. Or how do you explain that he has played so many games for so many different managers over his time here?

07-03-2020, 10:01 PM

I've heard it all now. Lewis, the only player to have ever won two cups with Hibs, is supposedly a cretin.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 10:05 PM

Oh dear. I’m sure he’ll be gutted. Can I not come to one either?

Get a ****ing grip.

Cretin? Really?

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2020, 10:08 PM

Turn it man, you’re slavering utter pish and sounding like a cretin yourself.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Cretin?
Have a word ffs

HibbyAndy
07-03-2020, 10:12 PM

Lol
Absolute numpty

GreenCastle
07-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Back on topic..

Omeonga..am I the only one who thinks he hasn’t actually been played in his natural attacking role yet.

Keeps being played deeper.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 10:25 PM

How on earth is he a cretin you utter ****?

Even if you are a hearts **** on the wind up (commiserations going four points off eleventh) there’s no thing ever you could produce to back up your claim Lewis Stevenson is a cretin. 😂😂😂😂

Hermit Crab
07-03-2020, 10:27 PM

The players

It was HANLON who was left for dead, no Hallberg.

Jonnyboy
07-03-2020, 10:31 PM

You've been punted I see. You're hiding behind another username but I know who you are and would suggest cretin is more suited to you than Lewis

Jonnyboy
07-03-2020, 10:32 PM
It was HANLON who was left for dead, no Hallberg.

Bugger! I'd typed Hanlon and then confused myself so changed it to Hallberg. D'oh

Hermit Crab
07-03-2020, 10:32 PM

I'm a big critique of LS at times but that is uncalled for. Out of order mate.

Jonnyboy
07-03-2020, 10:40 PM
I'm a big critique of LS at times but that is uncalled for. Out of order mate.

Just ignore him, G. Like I did when he professed to know all the ins and outs about Romanov :wink:

Stantons Angel
07-03-2020, 10:47 PM

Are you real? Stevenson is in NO way a cretin of any kind. For you to say so in ANY manner is unbelieveable to say the least!

As for your comment about not inviting him to your Burns Supper, this surely is a wynd up? i dont think for a minute that would bother him any!

oldbutdim
07-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Are you real? Stevenson is in NO way a cretin of any kind. For you to say so in ANY manner is unbelieveable to say the least!

As for your comment about not inviting him to your Burns Supper, this surely is a wynd up? i dont think for a minute that would bother him any!

He’s not for real, although he claims to be many things.

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2020, 05:38 AM
Looking through this thread reminds me

The three rules of HIBS.net:

1) Never post whilst pished

2) Never post whilst raging and I mean really raging!

( Happens quite a lot being a HIBS fan )

3) Don’t talk about HIBS.net

:greengrin

Edit:

4) No yams!

coldingham hibs
08-03-2020, 06:23 AM
Just watched the match highlights, I’m not sure how Jackson managed to mess up the clearance putting the ball in his own net. The second was very poor defending as there were plenty players around Considine when he bundled the ball in, looked like a shirt pull on Hanlon prior to getting the ball. The 3rd goal Rocky should have saved.

Hibrandenburg
08-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Thanks JB. I was watching Hertha v Werder yesterday so didn't get to see the game. Normally after results like yesterday, you're thread will be the only one I read on the main board because the radges tend to stay off it and the opinion exchange is adult like. Looks like that was wishful thinking on my part this week. Keep up the good work.

Hermit Crab
08-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Just watched the match highlights, I’m not sure how Jackson managed to mess up the clearance putting the ball in his own net. The second was very poor defending as there were plenty players around Considine when he bundled the ball in, looked like a shirt pull on Hanlon prior to getting the ball. The 3rd goal Rocky should have saved.

1st goal is just a shocker from Jackson.

2nd goal Hanlon is wrong side of the attacker and it actually looked like a clumsy og but Marciano was glued to his line as well.

3rd goal Hanlon and Horgan both get done like kippers by the corner flag with more comedy defending from Hallberg and Jackson in the middle iirc.

Baldy Foghorn
08-03-2020, 11:28 AM
I thought Whittaker won the ball in the challenge that saw him get a second yellow, we also should have been awarded a foul just prior to his tackle.

That said the tem men capitulated, and we really do lose soft goals....

Jonnyboy
08-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Thanks JB. I was watching Hertha v Werder yesterday so didn't get to see the game. Normally after results like yesterday, you're thread will be the only one I read on the main board because the radges tend to stay off it and the opinion exchange is adult like. Looks like that was wishful thinking on my part this week. Keep up the good work.

Cheers! I think said radge has been emptied. I’m just shocked he felt it was acceptable to use the London Hibs name when spouting his own brand of vile

PeeJay
08-03-2020, 01:29 PM
Another good report - agree with most of what you say although I thought Whitty was awful and the red - as you imply - was just a matter of time coming, the substitutions second half didn't help either IMO. Your comment about Allan is correct I feel, thought it interesting he clearly did not want to be subbed and dragged his feet in leaving the park, contrast that with Stevenson's acceptance of being subbed and his speedy removal from the field of play ... FWIW I don't think we practise defending with 11 men, never mind when down to 10 ...:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
08-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Pretty sure I read somewhere that almost fifty years ago Turnbulls Tornadoes would regularly play defence versus attack one touch two touch a man down and practice different ingame scenarios corners free kicks offside and PENALTIES

OK it might have only been the Jack Kane Centre but every man knew their job and what to expect

allmodcons
08-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Another good report - agree with most of what you say although I thought Whitty was awful and the red - as you imply - was just a matter of time coming, the substitutions second half didn't help either IMO. Your comment about Allan is correct I feel, thought it interesting he clearly did not want to be subbed and dragged his feet in leaving the park, contrast that with Stevenson's acceptance of being subbed and his speedy removal from the field of play ... FWIW I don't think we practise defending with 11 men, never mind when down to 10 ...:greengrin

Opinions eh! I attended the match and thought Whittaker was our best player until he saw red.

PISTOL1875
08-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Calling someone is a cretin is rather uncalled for , also he hasn't been Tom Kite but average at best..........

PeeJay
08-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Opinions eh! I attended the match and thought Whittaker was our best player until he saw red.

Didn't "attend" the game, but watched it all on Hibs tv and I can't quite see how a player who gets a yellow for persistent fouling and then a red for "fouling" yet again can be the best player, when he is the prime cause why our team was so badly weakened and then lost the vital 3 points - opinions indeed! My pick would have been Hanlon ... :greengrin

sean04
08-03-2020, 06:33 PM
Just watched the highlights, Whittaker is extremely unlucky to be sent offf. Halketts tackle whilst on a yellow during the week was worse. Don’t know how many times doidge gets clattered from center half’s like Whittaker’s 1st booking aswell. We will see similar incidents against hibs next weekend go without punishment

HibbyAndy
08-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Just watched the highlights, Whittaker is extremely unlucky to be sent offf. Halketts tackle whilst on a yellow during the week was worse. Don’t know how many times doidge gets clattered from center half’s like Whittaker’s 1st booking aswell. We will see similar incidents against hibs next weekend go without punishment

Spot on

Dunbar Hibee
08-03-2020, 09:18 PM

You’re the only cretin here ya ****

Onceinawhile
08-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Imagine actually watching our defence and thinking efe wouldn't improve it.

6 goals conceded in two games and looking like a more and more ridiculous decision every game.

The Harp Awakes
09-03-2020, 12:03 AM
That's depressing reading JB, but I'm sure it is accurate. It really does seem that the team's mentality is becoming fragile again. Something goes against us in a game and we cave in.

JR is a very eloquent and likeable Manager but I'm now concerned about his motivational and organisational skills.

We must get rid of this softness and fast.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Imagine actually watching our defence and thinking efe wouldn't improve it.

6 goals conceded in two games and looking like a more and more ridiculous decision every game.

When in fact you have no idea about the situation with Efe.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2020, 11:58 AM
That's depressing reading JB, but I'm sure it is accurate. It really does seem that the team's mentality is becoming fragile again. Something goes against us in a game and we cave in.

JR is a very eloquent and likeable Manager but I'm now concerned about his motivational and organisational skills.

We must get rid of this softness and fast.

The only way we can get rid of that is by replacing the players that are already there, unfortunately.

Been disappointed with Docherty in the last two games. I thought he had something about him, as well as being a good player. I thought he was the type that would grab the game by the scruff of the neck when it wasn’t going well but he’s not looked capable of doing that. Obviously he’s not alone, our experienced players continue to let us down in that regard IMO.