PDA

View Full Version : Support

Clarence
07-03-2020, 07:20 PM
Good Hibs teams have lost derbies at home to hearts. Good Hibs teams have lost away to Aberdeen. This team isn’t a good Hibs team but their results won’t be improved by panic and naysaying. It’s time to count to 10, get behind the team and be the twelfth man rather than the hand wringing nervous detractor.

Steve88
07-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Waken up. See my thread regarding our continuing down trend over the past few years...

green day
07-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Waken up. See my thread regarding our continuing down trend over the past few years...

Perhaps he has a more positive outlook on things and isnt quite at your wrist cutting stage yet?

BlackSheep
07-03-2020, 07:29 PM

Your thread is just you finding a pattern that while it exists on paper is not anything to really take seriously.

If the game could be predicted in such a way then do you think many would have seen Hearts would be languishing at the foot of the table? I doubt it... how about Rangers losing to Hamilton.... while they are on a poor run, most would have said that fixture was a certain way to get back into winning ways.

I agree with the OP.

Today's result, whilst disappointing was in no way a reason to panic, and either was the Derby. The results we have seen by other teams around us lately have luckily fallen in such a way that it takes some of the concern away, but thats the unexpected nature of the game.

Lets focus on next week and take it from there.

Key take away - SUPPORT.

truehibernian
07-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Every team this season has called for managers heads, every side has had bad runs of form - at present, we've lost two games on the spin and the manner of the derby defeat is perhaps (today) still raw and exacerbating things.

We've a good group of players who need to refocus this week at training and get a win at the weekend, then take it from there.

As I posted earlier, I was at Tynie today and 'Well played well and had real determination and steel (pardon the pun). They had a penalty (unbelievably) turned away, had chances to win it, but what impressed me most was when Hearts threw forwards on and played 5 up top at times (last ten) they put their head and bodies on everything. They didn't feel sorry for themselves that the decisions went against them. We, at present (this week) dwell on mistakes and take too much time to recover - and by that time we have been punished.

It's resolve and character that requires work - they have the talent as they've shown it in many games this season. But talent without working hard for each other is nothing.

Shrekko
07-03-2020, 08:01 PM

What does ‘waking up’ mean? Making sure you put as much negativity out there as you can?

Fans have a huge role to play in improving a teams fortunes - what’s wrong with actually trying to create an environment where success is easier to achieve?

Clarence
07-03-2020, 08:36 PM

It’s time fans like you woke up. Listen to players interviews. Opposition managers say “we want to frustrate them for the first 20 mins, then their fans will get anxious and that plays into our hands” or even our own players, who have said time and time again that negativity makes things worse - Positivity is the only input that fans can have on a game that will bring any benefit to it. Think of the power of the time for heroes message at Hampden or the way we played against Athens in 2001 under the floodlights. This isn’t a time heartbreak and sorrow. See it, claim it, touch it save it. We’re two game away from the Scottish cup so let’s get right behind the boys I’m green and white.

givescotlandfreedom
07-03-2020, 08:40 PM
I thought the support was very good and vocal today until the players decided to chuck it.

loanheadhibby
07-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Every team this season has called for managers heads, every side has had bad runs of form - at present, we've lost two games on the spin and the manner of the derby defeat is perhaps (today) still raw and exacerbating things.

We've a good group of players who need to refocus this week at training and get a win at the weekend, then take it from there.

As I posted earlier, I was at Tynie today and 'Well played well and had real determination and steel (pardon the pun). They had a penalty (unbelievably) turned away, had chances to win it, but what impressed me most was when Hearts threw forwards on and played 5 up top at times (last ten) they put their head and bodies on everything. They didn't feel sorry for themselves that the decisions went against them. We, at present (this week) dwell on mistakes and take too much time to recover - and by that time we have been punished.

It's resolve and character that requires work - they have the talent as they've shown it in many games this season. But talent without working hard for each other is nothing.

Have we really got a good group of players tho? I’d say most are joe average if not below average. I actually think they mostly give their all in every game but lack of talent let’s them down. We’re struggling to hold on to 6th place up in a poor league.

Smartie
07-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Have we really got a good group of players tho? I’d say most are joe average if not below average. I actually think they mostly give their all in every game but lack of talent let’s them down. We’re struggling to hold on to 6th place up in a poor league.

We have a few.

Boyle, Doidge, Docherty, Jackson, Newell and Omeonga are all good players.

We also have a lot of players who offer us something.

I don’t actually think we have any poor players but our squad is imbalanced, you can’t get a good team out of the players available and there’s an awful lot of bang average and seriously flawed genius.

B.H.F.C
07-03-2020, 10:47 PM
We have a few.

I don’t actually think we have any poor players but our squad is imbalanced, you can’t get a good team out of the players available and there’s an awful lot of bang average and seriously flawed genius.

No sure I’d put Jackson in the ‘good’ player category. He’s not improved us defensively and I think scoring a few goals in the last few weeks has masked that a bit.

monktonharp
08-03-2020, 12:03 AM
not at the game but did Mr Jackson not score today? and not forgetting S.Whittaker leaving the park rather early? are these situatations anything to do with what happened?

monktonharp
08-03-2020, 12:33 AM
We have a few.

I don’t actually think we have any poor players but our squad is imbalanced, you can’t get a good team out of the players available and there’s an awful lot of bang average and seriously flawed genius.I am not in a position to contradict your comments regarding today as I was neither at the game or listening or watching online .I was pleasantly surprised to see us 1 nil up at half time, and about 40 mins later , gutted tae see us 3 -1 doon! surely you are not suggesting that we don't have serious problems at the back? It has been blatantly obvious for most of the season , that at least 2 of our "Legends" have been toiling to deal with fast running wingers from the likes of M/well ,H/Milton etc. I wish we could have McGregor and Porteous back right now but that seems unlikely. I'm not confident. don't have a clue when they will be available, but we will really struggle with the current set up. Hanlon had a good game, a couple of weeksback but against the gorgie mob I am fearful.

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 11:38 AM
I'm confused about why anybody would disagree with the OP when all he's suggesting is that we try to get behind the team.

Though I've posted similar suggestions and been stunned by the abuse I got from people saying how dare I tell them what to do, as they've been following Hibs for decades (despite the fact that I wasn't actually telling them they had to do anything).

We have some right moaning minnies in our support.

HibeeHibernian4
08-03-2020, 11:47 AM
I thought the support was very good and vocal today until the players decided to chuck it.

It was a very good support, the naysayers and detractors were all absent as ever.

Smartie
08-03-2020, 11:47 AM
I am not in a position to contradict your comments regarding today as I was neither at the game or listening or watching online .I was pleasantly surprised to see us 1 nil up at half time, and about 40 mins later , gutted tae see us 3 -1 doon! surely you are not suggesting that we don't have serious problems at the back? It has been blatantly obvious for most of the season , that at least 2 of our "Legends" have been toiling to deal with fast running wingers from the likes of M/well ,H/Milton etc. I wish we could have McGregor and Porteous back right now but that seems unlikely. I'm not confident. don't have a clue when they will be available, but we will really struggle with the current set up. Hanlon had a good game, a couple of weeksback but against the gorgie mob I am fearful.

No, I accept that we have problems at the back (you'll see from the players I listed that only Jackson is a defender and tbh he's a bit lucky to make that list).

I was disagreeing with the person who said we didn't have good players, and to an extent with the person who said we had good players.

We have a few good players, loads of average ones, I don't really think we have any poor players but it all adds up to an imbalanced squad with problems and an inability to put out a good enough team whichever formation Jack Ross chooses.

James Stephen
08-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Good OP.

Totally agree - the time for ranting, venting of spleens and recriminations are when the battle is over, not during it.

We have a Scottish Cup semi against Hearts and a tight fight for top 6 (not that it means much, but better than bottom six).

Some fans accuse players of chucking it, but it seems to me that a good bunch of our fans are the ones that have chucked it, one bad home defeat in derby, one not so bad defeat away from home against a superior team, and they are ready to chuck everything in and disappear into a spiral or angry, attention seeking, self indulgemt social media pish that perpetuates the very sense of crisis that they claim to be railing against.

HibeeHibernian4
08-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Some fans accuse players of chucking it, but it seems to me that a good bunch of our fans are the ones that have chucked it, one bad home defeat in derby, one not so bad defeat away from home against a superior team, and they are ready to chuck everything in and disappear into a spiral or angry, attention seeking, self indulgemt social media pish that perpetuates the very sense of crisis that they claim to be railing against.

Completely agree with this.

“I’m not coming to support you unless you win the majority of games and if you don’t then you’re not getting my money.”

It’s not the players who have chucked it in, it’s the entitled masses in our fanbase who think they’re owed something for following a football team and have very little patience when things don’t work out exactly as they hoped - i.e. predicting we’d pump Hearts only to end up with egg on their faces.

h1bs4life
08-03-2020, 12:20 PM

“I’m not coming to support you unless you win the majority of games and if you don’t then you’re not getting my money.”

It’s not the players who have chucked it in, it’s the entitled masses in our fanbase who think they’re owed something for following a football team and have very little patience when things don’t work out exactly as they hoped - i.e. predicting we’d pump Hearts only to end up with egg on their faces.

It's a Hibs message board people are always going to have different views. We sold out the derby again , every Hibs fan that was there were wanting Hibs to win .
Record season ticket sales , everyone buying them want Hibs to win . The vast majority like myself will renew no matter what, people can winge on message board , social media all they want. Its the support they get at Easter Road that matters Hibs fans are no better or worse than other teams.

Shrekko
08-03-2020, 01:04 PM
It's a Hibs message board people are always going to have different views. We sold out the derby again , every Hibs fan that was there were wanting Hibs to win .
Record season ticket sales , everyone buying them want Hibs to win . The vast majority like myself will renew no matter what, people can winge on message board , social media all they want. Its the support they get at Easter Road that matters Hibs fans are no better or worse than other teams.

I really wish you were right but I think Hibs fans are more fickle than most and there does seem to be a mentality where a lot will only show up if they are satisfied that there is a high enough possibility of relative success, which is amazing when you think how little we’ve had for decades.

Keep hearing about record season ticket sales but for having so many ST holders the gaps in the stands are quite startling and the minute anything goes wrong people are proclaiming that we’ll be back to 8,000 crowds soon ... and history says they’re right.

Ron Gordon has an attitude I love but his plans really need a huge buy in from the fans and a sense of togetherness ... I’m not convinced he’ll get that.

allmodcons
08-03-2020, 01:46 PM
I really wish you were right but I think Hibs fans are more fickle than most and there does seem to be a mentality where a lot will only show up if they are satisfied that there is a high enough possibility of relative success, which is amazing when you think how little we’ve had for decades.

Keep hearing about record season ticket sales but for having so many ST holders the gaps in the stands are quite startling and the minute anything goes wrong people are proclaiming that we’ll be back to 8,000 crowds soon ... and history says they’re right.

Ron Gordon has an attitude I love but his plans really need a huge buy in from the fans and a sense of togetherness ... I’m not convinced he’ll get that.

The support at Pittodrie yesterday, whilst sizeable, wasn't that good.

I find our support unbelievably fickle, all happiness and light until the Whittaker sending off, then we lose a goal and all around me are moaning like **** at the usual suspects (i.e. - Hanlon and Stevenson). So many so quick to vent their spleen. It's like they can't help themselves.

For supporters not to see that the sending off had a huge impact on the game is just embarrassing.

I'm at the stage where I might give the semi final a miss simply because I can't be arsed listening to some of the **** that is spoken by a large section of our 'support'.

Diclonius
08-03-2020, 01:47 PM
We see this thread at least once every season.

Shrekko
08-03-2020, 01:51 PM
We see this thread at least once every season.

And?

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 04:47 AM
There's only one bottom line for me. Come on here and moan and whine and complain and criticise as much as you want. Do the same on Twitter, do it in the boozer too. But go to the games, go along and support the team, coz if you do that then you've earned the right to complain as much as you want.

That's a fan for me, a person who walks out of Easter Road after a game saying 'FFS that was shocking, I hope we play better next time' .... not a guy who says 'FFS that was shocking, I'm not going back until it improves'

skyhibs
09-03-2020, 05:26 AM
Good teams lose now and then... I don’t mind losing if we put up a fight.. lately we have been putting up no fight at all... some of our players and we sometimes call them the usual suspects, well they just aren’t good enough... time to have a clear out and have players that want to play for hibs and are professionals... people come on here moaning about the fans, our long suffering fans have earned the right to moan and if the players put in the effort that the fans do am sure the fans might not moan as much... all these happy clappers are not doing the team any good.. let’s cheer them on and applaud them while saying, well done lads you only lost 3-1 again

Frazerbob
09-03-2020, 10:06 AM
When Ross took over, we were firmly intrenched in the relegation zone. Up until a couple of weeks ago we were moving along just nicely. Comfortable top 6 and shooting for Aberdeen & Motherwell. A disastrous derby and and unlucky but ultimately par for the course defeat at Aberdeen were very disappointing but I’m far from panicking. We have a month to get back on track, get the consistency going again before the big one.

CockneyRebel
09-03-2020, 11:00 AM
There's only one bottom line for me. Come on here and moan and whine and complain and criticise as much as you want. Do the same on Twitter, do it in the boozer too. But go to the games, go along and support the team, coz if you do that then you've earned the right to complain as much as you want.

That's a fan for me, a person who walks out of Easter Road after a game saying 'FFS that was shocking, I hope we play better next time' .... not a guy who says 'FFS that was shocking, I'm not going back until it improves'

I had the impression that you could be a miserable old git but that is an excellent post and pretty much my own view. Well said pal.

Steve20
09-03-2020, 11:07 AM

I don't think anyone has actually said that. But it's a nice thing for those to make up that would rather focus on blaming supporters who pay their money to go, rather than blame the mediocrity on the pitch.

The players rightfully get supported by the fans at the games, but FFS people are allowed to be annoyed on a forum. Might as well just close it down if you can't state the truth after another poor season. The only thing that can save the season is the cup. The league campaign is now meaningless (unless you count finishing 5th or 6th as an achievement). But let's not pretend they don't get backing at the games, because they do.

FilipinoHibs
09-03-2020, 11:18 AM
We have lost 3 games since the winter break - a late goal at Ibrox; one at home in a derby after conceding a needless penalty; and the last after going down to 10 men. All teams have tricky patches - witness Rangers and even Celtic. We are not world beaters but not as bad as the doomsday soothsayers are making out.

Shrekko
09-03-2020, 11:24 AM
I don't think anyone has actually said that. But it's a nice thing for those to make up that would rather focus on blaming supporters who pay their money to go, rather than blame the mediocrity on the pitch.

The players rightfully get supported by the fans at the games, but FFS people are allowed to be annoyed on a forum. Might as well just close it down if you can't state the truth after another poor season. The only thing that can save the season is the cup. The league campaign is now meaningless (unless you count finishing 5th or 6th as an achievement). But let's not pretend they don't get backing at the games, because they do.

You haven’t heard all the people threatening to jack it or telling us how we’ll soon be back to 8,000 crowds? Nobody is making that up or the feelings that we would take a huge support to the semi ... until we lost the derby last week.

Maybe you saying that folk would rather blame the fans than the players is a wee bit made up? I don’t think anyone would seriously blame fans for a result but that doesn’t mean to say that the fans can’t help a bit more at times no?

If you’re hearing and seeing full backing from the terraces at the moment then that’s fair enough but I’m not convinced i am. You are right though that people have the right to spout out their frustrations on here.

allmodcons
09-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Good teams lose now and then... I don’t mind losing if we put up a fight.. lately we have been putting up no fight at all... some of our players and we sometimes call them the usual suspects, well they just aren’t good enough... time to have a clear out and have players that want to play for hibs and are professionals... people come on here moaning about the fans, our long suffering fans have earned the right to moan and if the players put in the effort that the fans do am sure the fans might not moan as much... all these happy clappers are not doing the team any good.. let’s cheer them on and applaud them while saying, well done lads you only lost 3-1 again

Some of this is just complete garbage.

Nobody is suggesting you can't come on to these boards and complain about poor performances but if you, or anybody else, thinks it helps during a game for fans to be shouting abuse at our own players then you really do not understand how playing and hearing abuse from your own fans can affect players.

Shouts on Saturday around me included "Hanlon you're *****, you can just get tae ****", "Scott Allan you're a ****ing waste of a jersey" or "Stevenson just hang up your ****ing boots you're past it"! This from our 'support'.

CapitalGreen
09-03-2020, 11:34 AM
When Ross took over, we were firmly intrenched in the relegation zone. Up until a couple of weeks ago we were moving along just nicely. Comfortable top 6 and shooting for Aberdeen & Motherwell. A disastrous derby and and unlucky but ultimately par for the course defeat at Aberdeen were very disappointing but I’m far from panicking. We have a month to get back on track, get the consistency going again before the big one.

Far too sensible a post for on here.

skyhibs
09-03-2020, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=allmodcons;6113157]Some of this is just complete garbage.

Nobody is suggesting you can't come on to these boards and complain about poor performances but if you, or anybody else, thinks it helps during a game for fans to be shouting abuse at our own players then you really do not understand how playing and hearing abuse from your own fans can affect players.

Where in my post do you see me say I like to shout abuse at the players... that’s the trouble with some people on here... they just make it up as they go along

SquashedFrogg
09-03-2020, 11:44 AM
And?

And we will see it again next season?

NAE NOOKIE
09-03-2020, 01:27 PM
I had the impression that you could be a miserable old git but that is an excellent post and pretty much my own view. Well said pal.

Your impression is correct :greengrin

But as my post said, what makes this auld git miserable more than Hibs losing or poor players, or folk moaning is simply one reaction to it. Fitba fans moan, its ingrained in the very fabric of being a fan, I do it myself, a lot. But being a fan means supporting your team through thick and thin, no matter how much they dae yer heid in.

I have little time for 'fans' who turn their back on the club when it starts losing, or even worse say they wont go to support it in a huge game coz they think it might lose .... I've said it before .... if guaranteed wins is what you're support depends on you've picked the wrong club to follow.

To labour the point: A fitba club isn't a supermarket or a restaurant where your patronage depends on the service and quality of the product ... that basic fact is why any owner or chairman referring to their club's fans as 'customers' is going to get the backlash from hell and why fans go into a rage when it happens. Considering what they serve up to their fans 90% of fitba clubs would be out of business if they were a supermarket or restaurant ... if they were a film they would be straight to DVD ..... That's what happens to businesses that rely on 'customers'

What makes football and football fans different and why we are not 'customers' is loyalty, especially loyalty in adversity. What keeps clubs going is loyalty and in most cases loyalty which nobody can pretend has been earned. If you have that loyalty you are a 'fan' a 'supporter' ... if you don't you are a customer. In the last few days this club appears to have acquired a few too many customers.

Keith_M
09-03-2020, 02:55 PM
I got bored about half way through his third paragraph, so I dunno how it finished, but up till then, Nae Nookie was about right

😉