PDA

View Full Version : Where can we find a leader?

Alfred E Newman
07-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Once again we appear to have self destructed from a winning position. The lack of leadership on the park is obvious to anyone who watches Hibs regularly. The moment we went down to 10 men I would imagine most of us knew what was coming.
It's easier said than done but Jack Ross will have to find someone to add a bit of steel and drive in that midfield or we will continue to struggle.

Hibs90
07-03-2020, 04:39 PM
We had two that the previous head coach released, then we didn't bother to replace them.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 04:40 PM
26 points dropped from winning positions.

Feed McGraw
07-03-2020, 04:45 PM
A leader with steel & drive ? Graham Shinnie ? Don`t know how feasible that is, but with a new wage structure, maybe ? :dunno:

GreenCastle
07-03-2020, 04:46 PM
McGregor, Gray, Bartley, Milligan.

We don’t have enough starting leaders or even leaders at the club and we don’t have a CDM.

Plus onto 2 fit strikers and x1 left back and left wonder = midtable inconsistent team.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 04:47 PM
A leader with steel & drive ? Graham Shinnie ? Don`t know how feasible that is, but with a new wage structure, maybe ? :dunno:

No danger.

CMac1988
07-03-2020, 04:49 PM
God knows but you push the boat to find one. Make him the highest earner at the club and give him the armband.

18Craig75
07-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Livingston. Failing him is there any realistic chance of getting Shinnie?

Feed McGraw
07-03-2020, 04:52 PM
No danger. Probably not, haven`t really followed his career down south but not heard much in the passing about him either. Would fit the bill, but I get that it`s unlikely.

JimBHibees
07-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Big Daz would be the obvious example certainly led well at Tiny. He would be the obvious example and maybe need to consider him in a back 3 maybe put McGinn right wing back possibly Boyle left wing back or play McGinn left and Boyle on his stronger side. Wouldn't have Hanlon as captain.

Robbo6-2
07-03-2020, 04:58 PM
We really are soft as ****.

Since we went down we brought in players who feared no one, Mcginn, Fyvie,Marv, Fontaine, McGregor, Gray. All leaders.

Now are two so called leaders are the same two who got us relegated and countless defeats in big games. I dont care what anyone say but Hanlon and Stevenson are both mentally weak and weak as pish.

This isn't Jack Ross fault, its down to recruitment department and Heckingbottom. Letting Marv go has been absolutely criminal.

The summer window is huge. We genuinely need around 8 players and time to get rid of the weak.

18Craig75
07-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Livingston. Failing him is there any realistic chance of getting Shinnie?

CMac1988
07-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Ignoring my last post and throwing this out there but is Newell the answer? Came in for his fair share of criticism early in the season. Some of it just and some not. However when he's been playing we've looked a hell of a lot better and assured on the ball. Does his fair share of winning the back and seems to have the trust of players.

We've struggled without him in the team recently and he's the one who gels what game plan we struggle to execute together. Only have to see the differences when he's been playing and when he's went off injured. Has he got the rest of the attributes desirable in a captain? Encourage the team, on top of the ref, consistency (more time on be theh than the treatment room ;) )?

truehibernian
07-03-2020, 05:26 PM
I was at Tynecastle today and Mark O'Hara was very impressive. Combative, wins all his headers, strong, and athletic. Long is a cracking little striker too. Motherwell's recruitment is excellent for their budget.

O'Hara would be an excellent addition and has those leadership qualities for a young lad.

alnewhaven
07-03-2020, 05:26 PM
We’ve missed Newell. Mainly I think down to the 3-5-2 formation as Stevenson doesn’t suit the wing back role.

Docherty has been quite vocal on the field maybe he could step into the role till end of the season.

Noticed on Wednesday night, Naismith mouthing off all the time once he was on field. Bit OTT but our captain was the opposite extreme

Nicho87
07-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Bartley and Milligan. Massively under-rated by the fans. Not the best technically but every team needs a bruiser.

hibsmad
07-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Long term? We need to buy players with the right attitude.

This season is now all coming down to the semi. For me we need to be looking to get Gray and McGregor back for that game. We have three games before it and I'd have them playing each to get up to speed. Our defence is fragile as **** and they'd at least add some fight.

Play Boyle up front with Doidge and drop Hanlon or Jackson.

The Wireless
07-03-2020, 07:07 PM
No danger.

Cannae get a game for Derby and not even close. At least doubled/trebled his Aberdeen salary.... forget him.

Smartie
07-03-2020, 07:12 PM
To answer the thread title directly - on our bench today we had a goalie with a track record of being able to organise a Hibs defence to great effect in one of our best teams in recent years, the talismanic captain who won us a cup and a born Hibs fan who is also a born leader.

In the short term we might start by looking there.

alnewhaven
07-03-2020, 07:29 PM
To answer the thread title directly - on our bench today we had a goalie with a track record of being able to organise a Hibs defence to great effect in one of our best teams in recent years, the talismanic captain who won us a cup and a born Hibs fan who is also a born leader.

In the short term we might start by looking there.

Sir David and Daz both have questions about fitness particularly Gray.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 07:32 PM
We really are soft as ****.

Since we went down we brought in players who feared no one, Mcginn, Fyvie,Marv, Fontaine, McGregor, Gray. All leaders.

Now are two so called leaders are the same two who got us relegated and countless defeats in big games. I dont care what anyone say but Hanlon and Stevenson are both mentally weak and weak as pish.

This isn't Jack Ross fault, its down to recruitment department and Heckingbottom. Letting Marv go has been absolutely criminal.

The summer window is huge. We genuinely need around 8 players and time to get rid of the weak.

Fontaine and McGregor both such brilliant leaders benched by the weak Hanlon.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Bartley and Milligan. Massively under-rated by the fans. Not the best technically but every team needs a bruiser.

We were rubbish for large parts of last season as well with them.

Cracks me up people mention we miss Marv and Milligan more than Mcginn. It's ****ing Mcginn we miss. He was 2 midfielders in one.

BlackSheep
07-03-2020, 07:34 PM
We need to find a young hungry Hibee through and through... or should I say we need to get him fit again... Step up Ryan Porteous. The captaincy would settle his head I think.

Gray and Hanlon shouldn’t be made captains this summer. Some won’t like it but it’s time to look to the future.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 07:37 PM
We need to find a young hungry Hibee through and through... or should I say we need to get him fit again... Step up Ryan Porteous. The captaincy would settle his head I think.

Gray and Hanlon shouldn’t be made captains this summer. Some won’t like it but it’s time to look to the future.

If only Porteous was actually as good or better than Hanlon he might actually take his place. Porteous has talent but he is a bit of a hot headed idiot on the pitch. Missed multiple huge games this season through suspension

BlackSheep
07-03-2020, 07:42 PM
If only Porteous was actually as good or better than Hanlon he might actually take his place. Porteous has talent but he is a bit of a hot headed idiot on the pitch. Missed multiple huge games this season through suspension

Thats why i said the responsibility of the captain's armband would settle his head. Ryan is a fantastic player and i don't see many attributes that Hanlon trumps him on....

Smartie
07-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Sir David and Daz both have questions about fitness particularly Gray.

True, but by all accounts Gray has been fit for a while - this spell isn’t unlike the one Gray had under Lennon before coming in and playing a good half season for Heckingbottom.

McGregor was immense at Tynecastle. What has happened to him since then (other than McGinn signing and Jackson generally doing pretty well)?

I don’t expect either of these players to play every game, but surely we could get something out of them, especially when our team looks as fragile mentally as it does at times?

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 07:45 PM
I said when Ross first came in I thought we would sign McGinn.

However I thought it would be Stephen and not Paul. He spoke a lot about Stephen and how he’s a leader in the middle of the park.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 07:47 PM
Thats why i said the responsibility of the captain's armband would settle his head. Ryan is a fantastic player and i don't see many attributes that Hanlon trumps him on....

Hanlon is far more disciplined, not just in the tackle but his defending style. He doesn't dive in. Hanlon is also easily better with the ball. Ryan stronger and bigger but not quicker.

Ryan is a good talent, he definitely isn't a fantastic player yet. Not even close.

BlackSheep
07-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Hanlon is far more disciplined, not just in the tackle but his defending style. He doesn't dive in. Hanlon is also easily better with the ball. Ryan stronger and bigger but not quicker.

Ryan is a good talent, he definitely isn't a fantastic player yet. Not even close.

Fair enough, that’s your opinion.

I think Ryan is on the up and Paul is burning out, I know which I’d rather put my faith in.

Feed McGraw
07-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Cannae get a game for Derby and not even close. At least doubled/trebled his Aberdeen salary.... forget him. On loan ? :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Fair enough, that’s your opinion.

I think Ryan is on the up and Paul is burning out, I know which I’d rather put my faith in.

Right now I'd put the faith in Hanlon. I have very little faith in Ryan not to try and maim an opponent and get sent off.

30 is no age for a defender either. Hanlon has years in him.

truehibernian
07-03-2020, 08:03 PM
Right now I'd put the faith in Hanlon. I have very little faith in Ryan not to try and maim an opponent and get sent off.

If kept, I wonder if it's worth trying him in a defensive midfielder role sitting ahead of a pair.

One things is for sure, as much as I defend him and love him, we need a quality pair of left backs, and a new right back to challenge McGinn. Lewy is finished for me (sadly :boo hoo:). Far too many goals are conceded in or from our wide areas by harrying rather than immediately closing down.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Fontaine and McGregor both such brilliant leaders benched by the weak Hanlon.

Exactly. If Hanlon isn’t seen as a captain within the squad why would he be captain?? Any coach gives the arm band to the most respected figure on the pitch.

Alfred E Newman
07-03-2020, 08:28 PM

Paul has been a great servant but he is not a leader. The only time I’ve seen him look like a leader was grabbing the ball off McNulty last Friday to take the penalty.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:30 PM

Passing, reading of the game, defending without fouling, not getting sent off. Or to simplify it Defending. If Hanlon is as bad as some people think why is he still captain and why does he play in every game he’s fit for? Maybe half the forum are better coaches than Jack Ross and our past managers.

The Modfather
07-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Exactly. If Hanlon isn’t seen as a captain within the squad why would he be captain?? Any coach gives the arm band to the most respected figure on the pitch.

Hanlon is “one of the best CB’s in the league “, we should be building the team around him far less just giving him the armband. I dread to think how many more goals we would have conceded without “one of the best CB’s in the league”.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Hanlon is “one of the best CB’s in the league “, we should be building the team around him far less just giving him the armband. I dread to think how many more goals we would have conceded without “one of the best CB’s in the league”.

So Jack will replace him then. I look forward to the better players we will get in. And I mean that. if we get better I will be delighted. Same goes for every player in the squad.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:58 PM
We still don’t have workhorses in midfield. Players that will run through a wall and won’t give up. We give away far too many chances.

The Modfather
07-03-2020, 09:14 PM
So Jack will replace him then. I look forward to the better players we will get in. And I mean that. if we get better I will be delighted. Same goes for every player in the squad.

I was just calling out the hyperbole about him being “one of the best CB’s in the league” when you ducked me asking you why you thought that. I struggle to make much of a positive case for any of our defenders the last couple of years.

Hanlon clearly he still has something to offer, I just think it’s coming to the time when it’s probably as more of a squad player than an automatic first pick. If some players are still first picks next season I see it possibly being as much about stretching our budget as far as we can to do all the work needed rather than potentially an endorsement of that player continuing to play.

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Lewis Ferguson at Aberdeen is a great example of a leader especially at such a young age.

Great player and will only get better.

He has that nasty streak to succeed.

jacomo
07-03-2020, 09:26 PM
McGregor, Gray, Bartley, Milligan.

We don’t have enough starting leaders or even leaders at the club and we don’t have a CDM.

Plus onto 2 fit strikers and x1 left back and left wonder = midtable inconsistent team.

:agree:

Last summer left the squad very unbalanced - remedied to a degree in January but not enough. Forthcoming transfer window will be an important one.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 09:35 PM
I was just calling out the hyperbole about him being “one of the best CB’s in the league” when you ducked me asking you why you thought that. I struggle to make much of a positive case for any of our defenders the last couple of years.

Hanlon clearly he still has something to offer, I just think it’s coming to the time when it’s probably as more of a squad player than an automatic first pick. If some players are still first picks next season I see it possibly being as much about stretching our budget as far as we can to do all the work needed rather than potentially an endorsement of that player continuing to play.

And my point remains clear. There are no stand out LCBs in Scotland that would improve us. Rangers have been poor, Celtic for ripped by Livi? So if we can get better i will be delighted.

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 09:38 PM
And my point remains clear. There are no stand out LCBs in Scotland that would improve us. Rangers have been poor, Celtic for ripped by Livi? So if we can get better i will be delighted.

Hanlon is nowhere near as bad as folk make out and as a whole I think is actually pretty good, especially left of a back 3. Taylor and Considine for Aberdeen would get dogs abuse if they played for us.

I like Jackson too and think he’s been solid since coming in, poor for the first goal today but these things happen.

A new left back and a leader in the middle of the park would make a huge difference.

The Modfather
07-03-2020, 09:59 PM

If there are no stand out LCB’s in Scotland is it not a bit of a misnomer to then use it as a reason for why Hanlon is still good enough to remain a first pick and why he’s not as culpable as any other defender for our shambolic defensive record and points lost from a winning position.

munchar
07-03-2020, 10:16 PM
If there are no stand out LCB’s in Scotland is it not a bit of a misnomer to then use it as a reason for why Hanlon is still good enough to remain a first pick and why he’s not as culpable as any other defender for our shambolic defensive record and points lost from a winning position.

When thinking about our team, and having an opinion if certain players are/aren’t good enough, I ask myself if they were opposition players, would they cause us trouble? How many of our squad would you see as a threat against us? Not to many unfortunately.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 10:33 PM

So replace him. As I said I’m happy for every single player to be replaced with better. Let’s find better. But he continues to get blamed for every single goal we let in. Aberdeen comms were complaining that Considine should be a first pick for Scotland?? He wouldn’t last 2 mins with our support.

DavidDavidGray
08-03-2020, 12:06 AM

Hanlon has been horrendous for about 2 years now, Porteous is better than Hanlon in every single aspect. Porteous has had 2 professional red cards for Hibs, one of which was for a professional foul to stop a counter attack and a certain goal. This reputation he’s got is massively over exaggerated as vast majority of the time he wins his tackles.

monktonharp
08-03-2020, 12:44 AM
If only Porteous was actually as good or better than Hanlon he might actually take his place. Porteous has talent but he is a bit of a hot headed idiot on the pitch. Missed multiple huge games this season through suspensionhope he is available any day soon. thought he was out for long term?

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Hanlon has been horrendous for about 2 years now, Porteous is better than Hanlon in every single aspect. Porteous has had 2 professional red cards for Hibs, one of which was for a professional foul to stop a counter attack and a certain goal. This reputation he’s got is massively over exaggerated as vast majority of the time he wins his tackles.
Hanlon has not been horrendous for 2 years and Porteous definitely isn't better in every aspect, not even close :faf: Hanlon has been really good since the break. He was also really solid end of last season and fantastic for the entirety of our first season back up.

Over exaggerated isn't a thing. It makes zero sense. It's just exaggerated. That's what exaggerated means.

Porteous is lucky it's only 2 reds, had some other stinking tackles he could easily have gone for.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 07:18 AM
Hanlon has not been horrendous for 2 years and Porteous definitely isn't better in every aspect, not even close :faf: Hanlon has been really good since the break. He was also really solid end of last season and fantastic for the entirety of our first season back up.

Over exaggerated isn't a thing. It makes zero sense. It's just exaggerated. That's what exaggerated means.

Porteous is lucky it's only 2 reds, had some other stinking tackles he could easily have gone for.
You are wasting your time. I’d love to see Porto or Mcgregor playing Hanlons role right now. It would be almost comical.

RIP
08-03-2020, 07:35 AM
We had two that the previous head coach released, then we didn't bother to replace them.

Actually it was Mathie that decided not to renew their contracts based on him bringing in Lennon’s choice eg Vela.

eastmainsmsh
08-03-2020, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=RIP;6112051]Actually it was Mathie that decided not to renew their contracts based on him bringing in Lennon’s choice eg Vela.[/QUOT

Mathie shouldn't have the decision imo

Since90+2
08-03-2020, 08:52 AM
You are wasting your time. I’d love to see Porto or Mcgregor playing Hanlons role right now. It would be almost comical.

Paul Hanlon is not leader. You obviously think he is a fine player and that's fine and I guess you are possibly related to him or know personally but the guy is not a captain.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Hanlon was imperious in our best ever points tally season.

It’s clear he plays well in a settled defence. He’s had lewis in and out the side this season, a different centre back partner (either as a flat three or a fellow CB) every other week and McGinn bedding into the side.

Any footballer at this level who is used to playing beside defenders of Mcgregor and Ambrose’s level would struggle to adapt to new team mates.

The Modfather
08-03-2020, 09:41 AM

While I agree with the bit in bold, it’s also the case that last season and this season there are large spells in between those times he has been playing well where he’s been playing badly and that is as big a factor in our horrendous defensive record as anyone else.

Think it was Smartie that made the point on another thread. I don’t think Hanlon is good enough or dominant enough as part of a 2, he may still have a role in the first team as part of a 3 if we get another 2 defenders of real quality. Personally I would be looking at signing two new CB’s with a view to them complimenting Porteous and getting his development back on track as I feel his progress has stalled.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-03-2020, 10:52 AM
Might be an idea to ask the players why it seems like they look to others to be the leader rather than looking at themselves.

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2020, 11:04 AM

It's comical now.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 11:13 AM
Paul Hanlon is not leader. You obviously think he is a fine player and that's fine and I guess you are possibly related to him or know personally but the guy is not a captain.

So why is he Captain then?

hibee-boys
08-03-2020, 11:23 AM
So why is he Captain then?

It's more of a reflection on the current team, not a reflection on Hanlon's qualities....in my opinion.

Since90+2
08-03-2020, 11:24 AM
It's more of a reflection on the current team now, not a reflection on Hanlon's qualities....in my opinion.

This.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 11:39 AM
It's more of a reflection on the current team, not a reflection on Hanlon's qualities....in my opinion.

You realise that makes no sense. If he is captain due to a reflection of the current team, then hes the right captain? If we sign James Milner next week im happy for him to be captain.

hibee-boys
08-03-2020, 11:49 AM
You realise that makes no sense. If he is captain due to a reflection of the current team, then hes the right captain? If we sign James Milner next week im happy for him to be captain.

What I do realise that you're clearly incapable of providing any balanced opinion on any Hanlon matter. I actually think that Paul could form part of a reasonable defensive unit, with a better centre half and left back beside him. He's as much captain material as Newell, Boyle etc, and that's no criticism of their characters. As a previous poster highlighted, the only captain like behaviour I've seen from Hanlon was taking the ball of Mcnulty the other day, yet he even managed to mess that up!

Brightside
08-03-2020, 12:00 PM
What I do realise that you're clearly incapable of providing any balanced opinion on any Hanlon matter. I actually think that Paul could form part of a reasonable defensive unit, with a better centre half and left back beside him. He's as much captain material as Newell, Boyle etc, and that's no criticism of their characters. As a previous poster highlighted, the only captain like behaviour I've seen from Hanlon was taking the ball of Mcnulty the other day, yet he even managed to mess that up!

So why is he Captain?

Zambernardi1875
08-03-2020, 12:22 PM
So why is he Captain?

Cause he’s been at hibs the longest

hibee-boys
08-03-2020, 12:36 PM
So why is he Captain?

We've got a goalkeeper who is incapable of barking orders at his defence, nevermind the team! The remaining outfield players are either loanees, not long through the door or even less captain material than Hanlon! If you take your Hanlon tinted specs off and actually read my posts i've not suggested that Paul should not be captain, i'm suggesting that as captain he should step up to the mark more often, lead by example, galvanise the team either more often, or better.....I see very little of this.

Alfred E Newman
08-03-2020, 02:35 PM
So why is he Captain?

Because there is nobody any better, that's the problem.

Newhaven
08-03-2020, 03:00 PM
This has been obvious for this season that we have no one with bite, leadership and grit in the team.

Bartley perhaps last season but when he did play he looked a shadow of the player from 2016-18. As for Milligan, came with a big rep but disappeared in many games.

We desperately need a leader in the team, not persist with hanlon or even Lewis who’s stock is diminishing week after week.

Do you fancy them to gee the team up for the semi? No chance!