PDA

View Full Version : Trending Down....

Steve88
07-03-2020, 04:33 PM
There is a worrying downward trend developing since out return to the top flight:

17/18 = 67 points
18/19= 54 points
19/20= 37 points (post today's result)

19/20 season end prediction = 46 Points (using 1.23 average points gained this season).

Interesting we're averaging around 10 points lower per season. Carry this trend into the 20/21 season, we will be in and around the relegation zone...

We absolutely must nail the recruitment in the summer.

The club is putting itself under more and more pressure

Hibs90
07-03-2020, 04:35 PM
There is a worrying downward trend developing since out return to the top flight:

17/18 = 67 points
18/19= 54 points

19/20 season end prediction = 46 Points (using 1.23 average points gained this season).

Interesting we're averaging around 10 points lower per season. Carry this trend into the 20/21 season, we will be in and around the relegation zone...

More questions need asked of recruitment, but it appears that department (in the clubs eyes) gets away with it, or in some cases gets promoted.

CMac1988
07-03-2020, 04:41 PM

17/18 = 67 points
18/19= 54 points

Yup. We can argue all day and long about players and, commitment,mentality etc. But the cold hard truth of it is that our summer recruitment has been pish since we've come up. Outside one or two players it hasn't been good enough and has required short term fixes in the winter.

The most glaringly obvious example is the fact everyone and their dog could see we need a defensive midfielder in the summer. Two windows later still not got one. Two senior strikers and only one recognised left back. Shakey back line with injury prone players noted in the Summer. Only recently signed McGinn. Still short on another CB imo. Plethora of attacking midfielders mind.

Club will need to dig deep in the Summer as I can't see anyway in which we somehow manage to sell more season tickets than this season. Can see that being the excuse if we suffer another season of mediocrity though.

ScottB
07-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimately, we came into the January window in need of more attacking options, cover for injured defenders and some bite in the midfield.

Here we are in March with less attackers than we had and only one defender arrived.

That’s not good enough, and has likely blown a shot at finishing 3rd, maybe even top 6.

madhatter
07-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Yup. We can argue all day and long about players and, commitment,mentality etc. But the cold hard truth of it is that our summer recruitment has been pish since we've come up. Outside one or two players it hasn't been good enough and has required short term fixes in the winter.

The most glaringly obvious example is the fact everyone and their dog could see we need a defensive midfielder in the summer. Two windows later still not got one. Two senior strikers and only one recognised left back. Shakey back line with injury prone players printed out... Only recently signed McGinn but still shirt on another CB imo. Plethora of attacking midfielders mind.

Club will need to dig deep in the Summer as I can't see anyway in which we somehow manage to sell more season tickets than this season. Can see that being the excuse if we suffer another season of mediocrity though.

You forgot to mention absolutely no option on the wings - Boyle being injured means complete change of formation. We are playing 352 to accommodate Boyle and Allan but also because we don't have much going for us on the left wing. Our squad beyond the ridiculous number of centre mids (none of whom play the sitting midfield role) is threadbare and must be one of the smallest in the league. We don't have much on the bench - I can't think of any "get him on" moments for a while. I always used to think "get Bartley on" when we were struggling to hold on to leads in matches.

There is zero competition for places. You can have a shocking game and keep your place at Hibs. In fact you can be rubbish week in week out and still be starting - sadly Scott Allan is on that list with many others.

Club will do wonders to hold the current ST numbers for next season, it will require serious investment beyond a big screen and digital ribbons.

ehf
07-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Club will do wonders to hold the current ST numbers for next season, it will require serious investment beyond a big screen and digital ribbons.

The way we're chucking away goals, there's every chance we won't win another game this season. Season tickets sales will tank.

Steve88
07-03-2020, 05:01 PM
By appointing a sporting director earlier this year I'm hopeful that the club identified there was a problem..

There always seemed to be a question mark over the recruitment process at Hibs - is the manager driving it? is it an in house recruitment team driving it? Do we have a hybrid model in place...?

The appointment of the sporting director tells us recruitment is all in house, right...?

I also wander if the appointment of the sporting director was also to prevent new managers coming in (PH) and getting rid of players that the club valued (Marv + Milliagn)...

madhatter
07-03-2020, 05:11 PM
By appointing a sporting director earlier this year I'm hopeful that the club identified there was a problem..

There always seemed to be a question mark over the recruitment process at Hibs - is the manager driving it? is it an in house recruitment team driving it? Do we have a hybrid model in place...?

The appointment of the sporting director tells us recruitment is all in house, right...?

I also wander if the appointment of the sporting director was also to prevent new managers coming in (PH) and getting rid of players that the club valued (Marv + Milliagn)...

The Sporting Director was already working in the recruitment department though - the recruitment department that have been getting it wrong each summer window for 3 years. Hallberg, Slivka and Kamberi to name a few current players (although one is away on loan) will very likely be solely down to the recruitment team - in fact the club did the whole interview thing regarding how they acquired Slivka.

For me having a Sporting Director does not alleviate concerns over our recruitment as I think the recruitment team are part of the problem. I obviously don't know but we've had managers come and go and our signings have, at large, not improved.

The Spaceman
07-03-2020, 05:16 PM
We need to sign some serious quality in our defence this summer. They are absolutely murdering us right now. Our midfield and attack is top 3, defence is bottom 3.

Two new brutish CBs, two new LBs, a RB, and a new CDM. We need them to be young(ish) and fit.

wookie70
07-03-2020, 05:31 PM
We need to sign some serious quality in our defence this summer. They are absolutely murdering us right now. Our midfield and attack is top 3, defence is bottom 3.

Two new brutish CBs, two new LBs, a RB, and a new CDM. We need them to be young(ish) and fit.

Are the midfield exempt from defending. They usually are on the pitch to fair

Steve88
07-03-2020, 05:35 PM
The Sporting Director was already working in the recruitment department though - the recruitment department that have been getting it wrong each summer window for 3 years. Hallberg, Slivka and Kamberi to name a few current players (although one is away on loan) will very likely be solely down to the recruitment team - in fact the club did the whole interview thing regarding how they acquired Slivka.

For me having a Sporting Director does not alleviate concerns over our recruitment as I think the recruitment team are part of the problem. I obviously don't know but we've had managers come and go and our signings have, at large, not improved.

Any idea who makes up our recruitment team? Their background, CV so to speak.....

Agreed on your point, essentially it's a re-brand of the same team, right...

J-C
07-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Until we up the wage budget, we're not going to attract the quality needed to challenge top 3/4. RG says he wants the wage budget doubled, it might be too late if that takes 2-3years to achieve. If you want quality you have to pay for it.

BlackSheep
07-03-2020, 07:24 PM
The way we're chucking away goals, there's every chance we won't win another game this season. Season tickets sales will tank.

In the current vein of inappropriate comment on such matters then perhaps a down turn in ST sales may see the end of some 'bed blocking' 'glory hunters'.

Let me finish this with a huge reminder that this is tongue in cheek comment!!!

MagicSwirlingShip
07-03-2020, 07:27 PM

17/18 = 67 points
18/19= 54 points
19/20= 37 points

Not really surprising our points total has decreased seeing as 17/18 was our best ever, and the players and manager we’ve lost.

Since452
07-03-2020, 07:30 PM

17/18 = 67 points
18/19= 54 points

Some people call it a promotion bounce.

BlackSheep
07-03-2020, 07:32 PM
Not really surprising our points total has decreased seeing as 17/18 was our best ever, and the players and manager we’ve lost.

Exactly this. It’s like some folk failed to hear the part of Ron Gordon’s AGM where he said over the space of 5 years he hopes to improve the club, team, facilities, etc.... not 5 weeks!!

This is the beginning of a potentially great time in hibs history... and it always darkest before the dawn.

Smartie
07-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Until we up the wage budget, we're not going to attract the quality needed to challenge top 3/4. RG says he wants the wage budget doubled, it might be too late if that takes 2-3years to achieve. If you want quality you have to pay for it.

Is that what Motherwell do?

Frankhfc
07-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Correct.

They had a brilliant youth team a few years back some of whom made the step up helping Motherwell no end both in league form and financially. It helps clubs enormously when a clutch of talented youngsters make the grade at the same time.

The Wireless
07-03-2020, 08:21 PM

Totally agree

Alfred E Newman
07-03-2020, 08:22 PM
Correct.

They had a brilliant youth team a few years back some of whom made the step up helping Motherwell no end both in league form and financially. It helps clubs enormously when a clutch of talented youngsters make the grade at the same time.

Ron Gordon did say at the AGM that we we would hope to be producing young talent through the academy that would improve the team and have a sell on value.
There will certainly have to be a massive improvement in our current scouting and coaching system to achieve that aim .

Frankhfc
07-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Ron Gordon did say at the AGM that we we would hope to be producing young talent through the academy that would improve the team and have a sell on value.
There will certainly have to be a massive improvement in our current scouting and coaching system to achieve that aim .

There's nothing better than seeing a talented youngster make the breakthrough into the first team. Jamie Gullan certainly looks as if he'll be a consistent first team squad pick which is brilliant. Hopefully Ron and the board can make the academy a huge success in the years to come with many more coming through the ranks.

J-C
07-03-2020, 08:44 PM

They've stuck with a manager and given him what he needs, we've chopped and changed managers all too readily recently, we need some stability and with that better players. I would add I feel Motherwell have a better scouting system/team in place, they regularly get a few gems every year.

Smartie
07-03-2020, 08:48 PM
They've stuck with a manager and given him what he needs, we've chopped and changed managers all too readily recently, we need some stability and with that better players. I would add I feel Motherwell have a better scouting system/team in place, they regularly get a few gems every year.

I agree, and tbh my comment was a bit cheeky.

I suppose my plan would be to generally do what Motherwell do well (good youngsters, good scouting, managerial stability) but with more money.

J-C
07-03-2020, 08:52 PM
I agree, and tbh my comment was a bit cheeky.

I suppose my plan would be to generally do what Motherwell do well (good youngsters, good scouting, managerial stability) but with more money.

:agree::thumbsup:

Shore Thing
08-03-2020, 06:20 AM
Average points under jack ross are 1.39 per game, so slightly higher than the full season average of 1.23.

So currently looking like finishing the season on 48 points.

However, IF Ross has been in charge all season, going by this average we’d be looking at 52 points. 2 less than last season, and a 6th place finish based on last seasons table.

Not trying to make excuses for a season ruined by a bad manager making imbalanced signings last summer, but you could say we’ve at least levelled off after a tumultuous couple of seasons, and are now getting back into an upward trend?

GGTTH

where'stheslope
08-03-2020, 10:22 AM
That to me is the Yam's format!
But bringing on young players to sell, sets you back after a few seasons.
With Ron's money we should be trying to bring on young players and keeping them to strengthen the team not weaken it????

ahibby
08-03-2020, 10:26 AM

17/18 = 67 points
18/19= 54 points

We thought this seasons budget could have been used better and wasting it too much of it lends fuel to that trend you point out.

jacomo
10-03-2020, 10:20 AM

I’m pretty confident we have increased the wage budget, and Ron says he wants to double it.

mcohibs
10-03-2020, 10:55 AM

What's wrong with foreign centre backs like? :greengrin

marleyhib
10-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Last 10 games our form has been worse than a point a game after a decent start with Jack Ross, relegation form.

We've been poor for a good while, couple of decent cup wins against Championship teams has been a distraction.

Bartley left as Heckingbottom wouidn't /couldn't guarantee him game time, he didn't replace him in the summer and we didn't replace him in January either.

Couple that with no decent cover for Stevenson who is past it and no left winger has left us totally toothless and lop sided.

It's been a definite slide in form, be interesting to see who we recruit in the summer. They need to be better than recent recruits.

Speedway
10-03-2020, 12:27 PM
The OP is the exact kind of fact based question that needs to be asked at AGMs where there’s no hiding place.

WhileTheChief..
10-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Totally agree

Totally disagree.

Livi and Motherwell have shown us that you can put a quality team on the park at a fraction of the cost of what we are spending.

bigwheel
10-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Totally disagree.

Livi and Motherwell have shown us that you can put a quality team on the park at a fraction of the cost of what we are spending.

I agree with your view - You can for a year or maybe a few years get good results ..the truth though is that both these teams are currently over achieving and it won’t last ..the spirit of the original point was right imho - whilst increased funding doesn’t guarantee improved results, it should over time improve the outcomes

jacomo
10-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Totally disagree.

Livi are an impressive unit and get results but play eye bleeding football. I think they have hit their ceiling.

Well lost their main goal scorers in January and their form nose dived. On the positive side for them, Turnbull is now back after missing all season.

I think Motherwell actually show that quality players either cost money or are impossible to hold onto unless you have money. Turnbull would be a Celtc player if he hadn’t got injured.