PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ross

h1bs4life
07-03-2020, 04:26 PM
Thought the team he selected was probably the best out of a bad bunch available to him although probably lot wouldn't have played Rocky and Stevenson.
We played well 1st half don't know if it is inexperience with him but Whittaker should hve been subbed at half-time. On a yellow card , loosing possesion , tiring legs.
If it had stayed 11 v 11 would have been a different game.
Still think he is the man for the job but be interesting to see who he signs especially in defence , if he does'nt sort things out he will go the way of several others who didn't and be out the door.

BoomtownHibees
07-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Thought the team he selected was probably the best out of a bad bunch available to him although probably lot wouldn't have played Rocky and Stevenson.
We played well 1st half don't know if it is inexperience with him but Whittaker should hve been subbed at half-time. On a yellow card , loosing possesion , tiring legs.
Still think he is the man for the job but be interesting to see who he signs especially in defence , if he does'nt sort things out he will go the way of several others who didn't and be out the door.

You can’t just sub any player who gets a yellow card. He was strolling the game in the middle of the park then had a brain fart

neil7908
07-03-2020, 04:29 PM
Questions now being asked of him. Needs to show he can get the players motivated and change a game.

Jpdhfc
07-03-2020, 04:30 PM
You can’t just sub any player who gets a yellow card. He was strolling the game in the middle of the park then had a brain fart

Hardly strolled it fouled Ferguson's every time he went near him.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 04:32 PM

Disagree, I wouldn’t have played Whittaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerald green
07-03-2020, 04:36 PM

Yes, just like McNulty the other night. They never seem to learn.

Captain Trips
07-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Jack Ross has made errors compounded by some utter dire stuff from the players. Putting in trust and being let down.

I'm happy to see what he is capable of in summer window and different squad. I think there are some major players needing swapped out.

tamig
07-03-2020, 04:39 PM
Disagree, I wouldn’t have played Whittaker.

Manager can’t win really. A large number of folk saying he should have kept Whittaker in for the derby and when he does bring him back he gets slaughtered.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Did Ross not really kick on at St Mirren when he got the chance to bring his own players in? He hasn't really had that chance yet at Hibs.

I'm not without reservations about him. His interviews are a lesson in saying nothing and his assessment of the Hearts game was almost impossible to agree with. However I struggle to think of any situation, beyond us somehow ending up in the play off, in which I'd be calling for his head this season.

h1bs4life
07-03-2020, 04:53 PM

He was anything but strolling it , fouling Ferguson quite a few tackles , loosing possesion and tiring legs.
Some might not have played him but we did play well in the 1st half , Ross had the chance to sub him at half time.
Questions need to be asked , not giving Bogdan a chance is a strange one . Why even sign him if he is not going to get a chance.
Continually playing Stevenson, although it looks like he doesn't rate him Newell looks to be his 1st choice. Had thought Horgan might be able to play there not sure now.
He / we need to be ruthless in the summer needs to prove he has that in him.
Hopefully he has .

PeeJay
07-03-2020, 04:54 PM

He really wasn't - he gave away the ball too often, was caught in possession because he failed to notice when he was being closed down, and after repeated fouls that got him the yellow in the first place he then made a truly dumb mistake in the middle of the park to get sent off - awful performance from him ...

PISTOL1875
07-03-2020, 04:58 PM
The game was going well until the red card. After that the team decided to press the self destruct button and forget yet again how to play football...

The manager is working with middle of the road players and trying to get the best out of what he has at his disposal......

No leaders in our team and the experienced players yet again go hiding...

CMac1988
07-03-2020, 05:04 PM
He's putting trust in his players and they're letting him down. Truth big he matter is they're not good enough.

Ross' interviews are on par with Heckingbottom. Maybe even worse tbh. Completely on the fence when he says something which is all but rare as he rarely says anything after having spoke at length for 10 minutes. I'm all for cool, calm and collected in my managers but a hint of passion wouldn't go amiss. Hopeful that's it isn't entirely indicative of his general feelings towards players and that he knows what needs to be done in the summer.

Also for what it's worth I wouldn't have started Whittaker either. Legs have gone and he can't keep up with play at times as a result. Will cost you more than often than not.

JimBHibees
07-03-2020, 05:06 PM
Did Ross not really kick on at St Mirren when he got the chance to bring his own players in? He hasn't really had that chance yet at Hibs.

I'm not without reservations about him. His interviews are a lesson in saying nothing and his assessment of the Hearts game was almost impossible to agree with. However I struggle to think of any situation, beyond us somehow ending up in the play off, in which I'd be calling for his head this season.

Agree he turned st Mirren round when he got rid of ten and brought in ten in a January window,. Looks like he needs to do something similar in the summer. The mental weakness in the last 5 days has been atrocious.

Stokesy's on fire
07-03-2020, 05:06 PM
I think losing to Aberdeen is a good measure of how poor we are.

J-C
07-03-2020, 05:07 PM
We have a very inconsistent squad of players with our 2 main leaders injured or not able to play to the level we need anymore. We have jumbled together a group of players who even after all these games look like they're still trying to gel, theres little sign of a style of play, rather more of style due to who we have. Big changes are needed and the club needs to be ruthless if we want to get that 2nd or 3rd spot.

H18S NX
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Whitts was lucky to stay on the park after his first booking,so should have been subbed at halt-time,i thought Hanlon was crazy trying to take on 3 players with the ball that led to whitts sending off,after that we were just clearing our lines,until the inevitable happened.So therefore i think Jack called it wrong,imo.

Waxy
07-03-2020, 05:25 PM
We were in a perilous position when he arrived.
He distanced us from the incredible dogfight thats happening at the bottom now and deserves the summer transfer window to see what he can do.

Nicho87
07-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Says we were right in a good vein of form. Drawing at home to st Mirren and Livingston sadly is just not good enough.

Yes he needs time.

But somewhere along the line he needs to realise the 3 at the back has dried up wins. He should have went to a 4-3-3 but easy for us to say.

McGregor needs in pronto and Hanlon an extended rest. Stevenson saved purely cause we don’t have a choice.

Ross must chop the dead wood come summer. I think there will be a good few leaving Easter Road.

Centre Hawf
07-03-2020, 05:36 PM
His system isn’t working and is costing us defensively (you can label criticism at players too). His decision to routinely put Whittaker into midfield when Omeonga and Halberg are sitting on the bench is laughable.

He needs to have a look at himself at the moment because were at a serious risk of losing out on top 6 and on current form I don’t back us in the Semi.

truehibernian
07-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Says we were right in a good vein of form. Drawing at home to st Mirren and Livingston sadly is just not good enough.

Yes he needs time.

But somewhere along the line he needs to realise the 3 at the back has dried up wins. He should have went to a 4-3-3 but easy for us to say.

McGregor needs in pronto and Hanlon an extended rest. Stevenson saved purely cause we don’t have a choice.

Ross must chop the dead wood come summer. I think there will be a good few leaving Easter Road.

The whole backline needs addressed as does defensive midfield. Two losses are very disappointing, but we have (the next) two games we can win if we regroup and focus.

For me the time draws nigh for SDG, Daz, Hanlon and Stevenson. Great servants, great attitudes, but time to totally address our defensive unit and go for younger, fresher, and more importantly better players.

I'd throw Ofir into that group too :cb

B.H.F.C
07-03-2020, 05:45 PM
His system isn’t working and is costing us defensively (you can label criticism at players too). His decision to routinely put Whittaker into midfield when Omeonga and Halberg are sitting on the bench is laughable.

He needs to have a look at himself at the moment because were at a serious risk of losing out on top 6 and on current form I don’t back us in the Semi.

Disagree on system. Whatever the shape, we will lose goals. Defenders are poor, and in some cases, finished.

Whittaker did something today that you can’t legislate for. Omeonga isn’t the answer in that position.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Aberdeen's lost their last 4 home league games. That about sums it up.

Centre Hawf
07-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Disagree on system. Whatever the shape, we will lose goals. Defenders are poor, and in some cases, finished.

Whittaker did something today that you can’t legislate for. Omeonga isn’t the answer in that position.

The system is awful now. McGinn and Hanlon asked to get down the line like we’re Sheffield United and people wonder why we’re caught out. Admittedly the players are in horrendous form as well. Omeonga and Halberg are an improvement on Whittaker by far and need to be played.

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Aberdeen's lost their last 4 home league games. That about sums it up.

No, us going down to 10 men sums it up.

Aberdeen had more possession however first half we should have been 3-0 up.

Once the red went we collapsed, I though we should have made changes quicker though as imo it was obvious the goal was coming from our right hand side.

B.H.F.C
07-03-2020, 05:56 PM
The system is awful now. McGinn and Hanlon asked to get down the line like we’re Sheffield United and people wonder why we’re caught out. Admittedly the players are in horrendous form as well. Omeonga and Halberg are an improvement on Whittaker by far and need to be played.

Up until Tuesday the system has improved us. System not the biggest issue IMO..

judas
07-03-2020, 06:00 PM
We are 6th.

It’s not ideal but it isn’t that bad. It’s not the end of the season either. What if we finish 3rd it 4th? Will the tram still need a clear out?

If you are banking on some transformative summer that will herald a new age of top 3 finishes and that is the standard to which Ross is to be held, the the man may struggle to be honest.

I hope we keep level heads and temper our expectations a little.

Smartie
07-03-2020, 06:03 PM
He doesn’t have the players to play any system without it having a potentially fatal flaw.

The current system is as good as any.

His squad isn’t fit for purpose and the jury must be out on our manager until at least after one round of fixtures after the summer.

He has a big job on his hands this summer though and without the right backing from the club and the fans he might well soon find himself under pressure.

Centre Hawf
07-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Up until Tuesday the system has improved us. System not the biggest issue IMO..

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the system but I do agree there is other problems too.

Ringothedog
07-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Whittaker should never have been sent off, another abysmal decision from a so called top referee, we keep 11 men on the park we win, Hibernian were strolling it

BILLYHIBS
07-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Spoke well in his post match interview now available to watch on YouTube

https://youtu.be/m7jYbKMsS70

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 06:42 PM
He has to make tough decisions in the summer. Every single defender at the club and the goalie is still under contract next season so unless we are going to increase the size of the squad (we’re not) then he has to move some of these guys on. That’s going to involve pay offs because none of them will be moving to bigger clubs.
The alternative is to go with the same defence next season? Worth bearing in mind when the season ticket renewal email comes in.[emoji849]

The Wireless
07-03-2020, 07:03 PM
Questions now being asked of him. Needs to show he can get the players motivated and change a game.

Questions on what? Poor. decisions of players influenced the last 5 days and he has to use his man management skills to keep this in perspective. This guy will do his best to sort it out however supporters need to accept we have a contracted squad for this season which needs support and encouragement as it lacks a mental & physical toughness.

Billy Whizz
07-03-2020, 07:47 PM
No questions from me on Jack Ross, I’m sure he’ll do a great job at Hibs in the long term

Only questions should be asked of our inflated board, of why we had 3 Managers in 2019
There in lies the problem

Shrekko
07-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Virtually everyone saying we needed a complete overhaul when Heckingbottom left but now ALREADY some want to make Jack Ross’s life difficult despite him not really being given a chance to put out his own team.

It’s getting boring reading know it all fans who’ve most likely never been involved in football management insisting they know more than professionals. Always done in hindsight as well.

If everyone stuck together and didn’t panic at the first sign of trouble we might get somewhere.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 07:56 PM
He has to make tough decisions in the summer. Every single defender at the club and the goalie is still under contract next season so unless we are going to increase the size of the squad (we’re not) then he has to move some of these guys on. That’s going to involve pay offs because none of them will be moving to bigger clubs.
The alternative is to go with the same defence next season? Worth bearing in mind when the season ticket renewal email comes in.[emoji849]

Chucking your season ticket because you don't like the defenders :faf:

Silky
07-03-2020, 07:57 PM

I disagree. There were plenty of posts on here earlier in the season slaughtering us for playing 4-3-3 and advocating 3 at the back. Both Heckingbottom and Ross have tried 4-3-3 with limited success and there is no evidence it works for us and will be any better than 3-4-1-2. For 4-3-3 you need a decent DM and we don't have that.

Silky
07-03-2020, 08:02 PM
No questions from me on Jack Ross, I’m sure he’ll do a great job at Hibs in the long term

Only questions should be asked of our inflated board, of why we had 3 Managers in 2019
There in lies the problem

Agreed. We go through far too many managers. It's becoming a joke. Someone needs 3, 4, 5 years to have a proper go at it. That's how you get consistency. McInnes has been at Aberdeen for years and they are regularly top 4. Changing manager every time we have a few poor performances and loose a derby does us no favours.

Heisenberg
07-03-2020, 08:06 PM

Absolutely this. Anyone that seriously wants him gone this season, provided we don’t go down, would be mental.

truehibernian
07-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Agreed. We go through far too many managers. It's becoming a joke. Someone needs 3, 4, 5 years to have a proper go at it. That's how you get consistency. McInnes has been at Aberdeen for years and they are regularly top 4. Changing manager every time we have a few poor performances and loose a derby does us no favours.

And Aberdeen fans have all wanted him out at various stages of this season and previous ones. He is a quality manager and they recruit well :aok:

Jack is too, he needs time, a summer window and good pre-season, but even before then we have a really exciting semi final to win and the chance of a cup.

The derby defeat has many wallowing but with JR coming in mid-season he is now getting a very good idea of where things need refreshed and improved. Still plenty football to be played.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2020, 08:08 PM

Probably worth pointing out plenty Aberdeen fans are calling for McInnes to go.

He got said time because they were consistently finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th. If they weren't the calls would have come earlier. Even as it is they have arrived anyway. You don't get years to build something in Scottish football, the nature of it means everything is relatively short term. Do a good job you will get other offers (McInnes chose to turn his down). Struggle for a few months you will leave by 'mutual consent'.

I'll reiterate again that I'm not in any way, shape or form calling for Ross to go.

Since452
07-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Some bloody drama queens on here in the last 4 days. Ross has no questions to answer from me today. He got it spot on. The players let him down. Time to take a wee break from here I think.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Plenty Rangers fans wanting rid of half their team, Celtic fans wanted a clear out of defence after Livingston. Going to be loads of jobs going for players in Scotland next season.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 08:21 PM
Chucking your season ticket because you don't like the defenders :faf:

I’ll be here next season but plenty won’t unless that defence is sorted. Personally I’m struggling to see Hibs telling any of those players they have to leave.

The Wireless
07-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Plenty Rangers fans wanting rid of half their team, Celtic fans wanted a clear out of defence after Livingston. Going to be loads of jobs going for players in Scotland next season.

Or key board warriors who know better :confused:

J-C
07-03-2020, 08:50 PM
Virtually everyone saying we needed a complete overhaul when Heckingbottom left but now ALREADY some want to make Jack Ross’s life difficult despite him not really being given a chance to put out his own team.

It’s getting boring reading know it all fans who’ve most likely never been involved in football management insisting they know more than professionals. Always done in hindsight as well.

If everyone stuck together and didn’t panic at the first sign of trouble we might get somewhere.

This :agree:

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Our support is absolutely mental.

Iv seen enough to see Ross is the man to take us forward and dare I say it, the next level where we consistently have a good run in the top 4.

He knows we’re weak at the back hence why he goes for it every week no matter who we play. Playing 2 up top, Allan and Boyle in the same team is a must and he gets this.

He will recruit very well in the summer, of this I have no doubt. Less random signings like Mavrias, Nelom etc and more reliable players that know the league.

My only gripe today was he never changed things quicker when we got a red. For me it should have been a 441 straight away but fair play to him for sticking to the guns. Also, again he wouldn’t have expected the players to collapse so soon after the red and never really gave him a chance to analyse it.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 09:49 PM

Iv seen enough to see Ross is the man to take us forward and dare I say it, the next level where we consistently have a good run in the top 4.

He knows we’re weak at the back hence why he goes for it every week no matter who we play. Playing 2 up top, Allan and Boyle in the same team is a must and he gets this.

He will recruit very well in the summer, of this I have no doubt. Less random signings like Mavrias, Nelom etc and more reliable players that know the league.

My only gripe today was he never changed things quicker when we got a red. For me it should have been a 441 straight away but fair play to him for sticking to the guns. Also, again he wouldn’t have expected the players to collapse so soon after the red and never really gave him a chance to analyse it.

I have no doubt Ross is the right man for the job but I wonder if the club will allow him to pay off the under performing members of the squad and recruit properly in the summer?

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 09:52 PM
I have no doubt Ross is the right man for the job but I wonder if the club will allow him to pay off the under performing members of the squad and recruit properly in the summer?

I think we will back him. The two rather awkward ones are McGregor and Gray being on long deals but I reckon

Slivka
James
Horgan
Omeonga
Hallberg?

Will all be off in the summer.

I think he will be given money to spend, not millions but enough for him to make shrewd purchases.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 09:57 PM
I think we will back him. The two rather awkward ones are McGregor and Gray being on long deals but I reckon

Slivka
James
Horgan
Omeonga
Hallberg?

Will all be off in the summer.

I think he will be given money to spend, not millions but enough for him to make shrewd purchases.

Problem with that is that only one of them is a defender. It’s going to take a lot more than a replacement for James to fix that defence.

Wheat Hound
07-03-2020, 10:05 PM
I found JRs post match interview interesting where he made clear it was 'resilience' we lacked and which cost us, so he is seeing what we're seeing i.e. that soft centre and inability to dig in and shut up shop when required. Summer windows gonna be interesting

Brightside
07-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Problem with that is that only one of them is a defender. It’s going to take a lot more than a replacement for James to fix that defence.

For the start of the new season we will see a natural LWB and a RWB. He will also be looking to recruit a LCB to pressure Paul for that position. I can’t see any loan signings staying. So expect at least 4 midfielders and another striker.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Jack Ross long term will be a fantastic success at our club, of that I’ve no doubt. Clear out will happen in the summer.

CloudSquall
08-03-2020, 03:47 AM
For me all eyes are on the summer transfer window.

It's crystal clear which positions we need to recruit for, for some positions it's been clear for over a season, and if we start next season with the same old excuses of why it's so hard to recruit while teams on smaller budgets got on with business it's time to question what the recruitment team is for.

hibbydog
08-03-2020, 04:08 AM

Behave.

Aberdeen have been poor recently, but losing away from home against the best side out with the old firm doesn’t mean we are poor.

We got a man sent off and made key mistakes which were clinically punished. It happens. No need for the drama on here.

Onion
08-03-2020, 05:17 AM
IMO JR has shown enough to give him time to bring in a few more players and change the system. Hecky left us and the squad in a mess and there was always a limit to what Jack could do with them.

I fear for our ST numbers as many will view our continual capitulations as a sign that we’ve reverted to pre-relegation Hibs. Only saviour could be beating Hearts in cup and having a strong league finish.

B.H.F.C
08-03-2020, 08:24 AM
IMO JR has shown enough to give him time to bring in a few more players and change the system. Hecky left us and the squad in a mess and there was always a limit to what Jack could do with them.

I fear for our ST numbers as many will view our continual capitulations as a sign that we’ve reverted to pre-relegation Hibs. Only saviour could be beating Hearts in cup and having a strong league finish.

Posted elsewhere, but I don’t think the result of the semi final could be any more important. You just need to look at the reaction from Tuesday night. Another Hampden defeat to that lot and Ross will be a dead man walking IMO. He needs to win this semi final more than anybody.

Since452
08-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Premiership clubs fans who have called for their managers heads this season.

Celtic - Lennon
Rangers - Gerrard
Aberdeen - McInnes
Hearts - Levein/Stendel
Hibs - Heckingbottom/Ross
Killie - Alessio
St Johnsone - Wright

Crazy really.

Captain Trips
08-03-2020, 08:44 AM
I believe in Jack Ross 100%. I believe no matter who our manager is with this team defence mistakes would cost them.

InchHibby
08-03-2020, 09:06 AM

I totally agree with this post, as far as yesterday’s game went we were playing well up to the point of the red card and maybe even should have been two or three ahead, my only criticism would be but this is only in hindsight, he should have replaced Whitaker after his first yellow.

Sioux
08-03-2020, 09:13 AM
I totally agree with this post, as far as yesterday’s game went we were playing well up to the point of the red card and maybe even should have been two or three ahead, my only criticism would be but this is only in hindsight, he should have replaced Whitaker after his first yellow.

So, anyone who gets a yellow card should be immediately subbed?

Don't be daft.

Since452
08-03-2020, 09:16 AM
I blame Jack Ross for McNulty stamping on the Hearts player and getting a ban. Ross should have subbed him before it happened. Same logic.

Smartie
08-03-2020, 09:30 AM

Don't be daft.

A defensive midfielder should be expected to make tackles throughout the match. If he'd already been booked, had been fouling leading up to the yellow card and then had one or two after - and there was an available midfielder (like Omeonga) to come on off the bench - then yes, I think the manager should be thinking about substituting the player.

Captain Trips
08-03-2020, 09:44 AM
A defensive midfielder should be expected to make tackles throughout the match. If he'd already been booked, had been fouling leading up to the yellow card and then had one or two after - and there was an available midfielder (like Omeonga) to come on off the bench - then yes, I think the manager should be thinking about substituting the player.

Sub right away? After 5 mins? What if booked and next tackle is a red withing a minute. Maybe he was thinking of taking him off?

tamig
08-03-2020, 09:44 AM
For the start of the new season we will see a natural LWB and a RWB. He will also be looking to recruit a LCB to pressure Paul for that position. I can’t see any loan signings staying. So expect at least 4 midfielders and another striker.

Every club uses the loan market these days. Why would we shun it? And any left sided central defender will be coming in to replace your Paul I suspect.

Edit - apologies. Just reread your loan comment so ignore that bit.

Sudds_1
08-03-2020, 09:49 AM
We were in a perilous position when he arrived.
He distanced us from the incredible dogfight thats happening at the bottom now and deserves the summer transfer window to see what he can do.

This. I think he's done well enough with the sqad he inherited. Summer will define him s9nce it will then be HIS
team. Always gonna be ups and downswith this lot. Rather be wherewe are than the yams...put it that way!

h1bs4life
08-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Don't be daft.

Not straight away , Whitaker made it to half-time. He was struggling against Ferguson booked and a couple of other tackles. His distribution wasn't that great either.
Wasn't a particularly bad tackle for 2nd booking but Aberdeen are much more street wise than us and Ferguson rolled about holding his knee giving Beaton the opportunity to send him off.

Jack Ross is the man for the job and has done well with what he inherited but sometimes questions can be asked about some of his decsions .
Looking forward to see who he signs and hopefully he will be as ruthless as a lot hope he will be.

Sioux
08-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Not straight away , Whitaker made it to half-time. He was struggling against Ferguson booked and a couple of other tackles. His distribution wasn't that great either.
Wasn't a particularly bad tackle for 2nd booking but Aberdeen are much more street wise than us and Ferguson rolled about holding his knee giving Beaton the opportunity to send him off.

Jack Ross is the man for the job and has done well with what he inherited but sometimes questions can be asked about some of his decsions .
Looking forward to see who he signs and hopefully he will be as ruthless as a lot hope he will be.

What about defenders? They get booked as well. How many subs do you want a manager to make solely because of bookings?

I'm quite sure JR would have got abused on here if he had subbed Whittaker, and was therefore unable to make a 'tactical' change later in the game. What about a player needing subbed because of injury, and we can't make that sub because players were subbed having been booked?

There are some instances where it might be necessary to remove a player that's been booked, but those are the exception rather than the rule. I don't think Whittaker was in the 'exception' category yesterday.

ahibby
08-03-2020, 10:19 AM
then had a brain fart[/QUOTE]

And not for the first time. Not even error proof against Glasgow nor Caley so little hope against a top four team. As op said not a lot of choice and its clear an overhaul is needed. Just hope the fans keep faith and buy STs would understand a drop off though.

superfurryhibby
08-03-2020, 10:22 AM

Aberdeen are 4th in our league and have been one of the better sides in the country for the past 7-8 years. Maybe that says more about how poor our league is in general?

Ross needs time to sign players and will be judged by performances then. He's getting more out of a fairly poor bunch than Heckingbottom could, the inconsistency shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone, disappointing though it is.

h1bs4life
08-03-2020, 10:29 AM
What about defenders? They get booked as well. How many subs do you want a manager to make solely because of bookings?

I'm quite sure JR would have got abused on here if he had subbed Whittaker, and was therefore unable to make a 'tactical' change later in the game. What about a player needing subbed because of injury, and we can't make that sub because players were subbed having been booked?

There are some instances where it might be necessary to remove a player that's been booked, but those are the exception rather than the rule. I don't think Whittaker was in the 'exception' category yesterday.

I would say Whittaker was in the exception category , was struggling against a youngster Ferguson.
Booked and another couple of tackles after it. Ferguson was about the only one doing anything for Aberdeen in the 1st half.
Using your 1st substitution to replace tiring Whittaker would have been a good move.

ahibby
08-03-2020, 10:42 AM
He seems to have good plan A bekut as games go on no effective plan B. Temper that though with little on the bench who can improve starting eleven. Problems next week wi injuries and suspensions and injuries. Could do wi Slivka and Newell coming back. He didnt sound confident about Newell

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 10:47 AM
He seems to have good plan A bekut as games go on no effective plan B. Temper that though with little on the bench who can improve starting eleven. Problems next week wi injuries and suspensions and injuries. Could do wi Slivka and Newell coming back. He didnt sound confident about Newell

Yeah no McNulty or Whittaker for next week.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2020, 10:49 AM
Yeah no McNulty or Whittaker for next week.

I wouldn’t have started either of them anyway.

mcfly
08-03-2020, 02:43 PM
Why has he not changed the defence??

Why no McGregor?

Why does hanlon get a game every week regardless how many goals we lose?

We are so weak it’s scary and there has to be a concern we bottle it again v hearts.

Really hope we get our act together in time. The club needs to win that game

Coco Bryce
08-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Why no McGregor?

We are so weak it’s scary and there has to be a concern we bottle it again v hearts.

All valid points and all lie at Jack Ross's door.

bigwheel
08-03-2020, 04:08 PM

Why no McGregor?

We need to do something , as it is not working ..

Like it or not though , Hanlon is the best we have in his role ..he will continue to start ...

Captain Trips
08-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Jack Ross first job prove you are better manager than one you replaced.

PH PL 11 won 1 in league. (this season)
Jr PL 17 won 7 in league.

First job done therefore allowing him IMO to continue on into summer and build.

Colin Calderwood P 14 W 3 in league (sacked season)
Pat Fenlon P 23 W 5 after CC.

Fenlon didn't improve on team using same players therefore didn't appear to he a better manager. I compare CC and PF as PF is seen as a big improvement on CC when in actuality he wasn't.

Unseen work
08-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Ross will sign good players in the summer and take us to the next level, I have no doubt.

Smartie
08-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Ross will sign good players in the summer and take us to the next level, I have no doubt.

I have plenty of doubt.

Not because I doubt Jack Ross, who I quite like.

I just think loads hangs on this semi-final. We win, there's a feel good factor, we can have one of those ticket things for a cup final so that you get a ticket for your season ticket this season and a ticket for next season if you renew. Basically, Ross gets a good budget and gets to sign better players.

If we lose that semi-final then I can see renewals taking a hit and a significantly lower budget for him to spend. If we've struggled to match Livi and Motherwell this season (not to mention Hearts having a pitiful season) he might have his work cut out putting a competitive team together on a restricted budget next season, especially if we're having to pay for a bit more razzmatazz around Easter Road.

FilipinoHibs
08-03-2020, 09:56 PM
I blame Jack Ross for McNulty stamping on the Hearts player and getting a ban. Ross should have subbed him before it happened. Same logic.

He was not on a yellow when it happened nor dies he have significant key defensive duties. Whitaker was on a yellow and playing a holding role in front of the defense. He had already committed a foul in the second half. Should have been hooked then.

skyhibs
09-03-2020, 07:37 AM

Don't be daft.

No one is saying that but Whitty should have been booked before that and had another few tackles that might have been yellows... I wasn’t at the game and thought he would probably be hooked at halftime ... I am not a football manager but Ross should have seen that coming... poor management in my opinion

jacomo
09-03-2020, 07:56 AM
I have plenty of doubt.

Not because I doubt Jack Ross, who I quite like.

I just think loads hangs on this semi-final. We win, there's a feel good factor, we can have one of those ticket things for a cup final so that you get a ticket for your season ticket this season and a ticket for next season if you renew. Basically, Ross gets a good budget and gets to sign better players.

If we lose that semi-final then I can see renewals taking a hit and a significantly lower budget for him to spend. If we've struggled to match Livi and Motherwell this season (not to mention Hearts having a pitiful season) he might have his work cut out putting a competitive team together on a restricted budget next season, especially if we're having to pay for a bit more razzmatazz around Easter Road.

Ron wants a packed ER and is no fool. One way or another Hibs need to put a team on the park which will drive ticket sales.

Obviously getting past Hearts will help a lot but it is just one match. Surely the strategy is not wholly dependent on that?

Heisenberg
09-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Ron wants a packed ER and is no fool. One way or another Hibs need to put a team on the park which will drive ticket sales.

Obviously getting past Hearts will help a lot but it is just one match. Surely the strategy is not wholly dependent on that?

It shouldn’t depend on that at all and I’m sure the club will back Ross well in the summer, although whether I trust the recruitment process to work properly is another matter.

I think the reaction of the fans will be poisonous if we don’t win the semi though. It was quite bad last week but this would be on another level. I fully expect there to be “Ross out” shouts regularly if he doesn’t get us a win. Which is entirely wrong imo but the derbies bring out the worst in our support.

Phil MaGlass
09-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Jack Ross long term will be a fantastic success at our club, of that I’ve no doubt. Clear out will happen in the summer.

This

skyhibs
09-03-2020, 09:41 AM
but the derbies bring out the worst in our support.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the derbies bring out the worst in the players.... to lose twice at home to the bottom of the league and then if we go on to lose the semi.. do you honestly think that’s acceptable... and that’s why there will be uproar if we lose the semi final....

The 90+2
09-03-2020, 09:54 AM

Don't be daft.

A holding midfielder who has lost a couple of yards pace that he had should, yes be subbed to minimalize the risk of picking up another one with another late challenge.

The 90+2
09-03-2020, 09:56 AM

Getting to the final having eliminated hearts in the semi will guarantee more season ticket sales for sure.

Heisenberg
09-03-2020, 09:56 AM
Do you mean the derbies bring out the worst in the players.... to lose twice at home to the bottom of the league and then if we go on to lose the semi.. do you honestly think that’s acceptable... and that’s why there will be uproar if we lose the semi final....

The same players that have won the last two meetings at Tynecastle? Of course losing at home against them isn’t good and people should be unhappy with the result. I certainly don’t think it merits folk immediately calling for the manager to be sacked or calling into question his position, which is what we saw from some last week.

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Why no McGregor?

Hanlon has been good since the break, rightfully keeping his place.

The 90+2
09-03-2020, 10:01 AM
The same players that have won the last two meetings at Tynecastle? Of course losing at home against them isn’t good and people should be unhappy with the result. I certainly don’t think it merits folk immediately calling for the manager to be sacked or calling into question his position, which is what we saw from some last week.

Ludicrous calling for his head at this time.

Captain Trips
09-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Jack Ross first instance prove you are better than person who you replaced. Has done that for fun. Just we don't like a result against Hearts and the pants are filling probably been angry if that was vs Motherwell but i doubt this much reaction.

Jack Ross is doing as i expected and i look forward to seeing what he can do for us next season with hopefully a budget. In the meantime I expect him to set us up for continuing to push on and to beat hearts in Semi.

cameronw-hfc
09-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Jack Ross improved St Mirren drastically after getting to the summer and bringing in his own players. He originally came in and steadied the ship. I'll give him till this time next year before I pass judgement.

Edit- didnt realise it was bloody March already. I'll give him till Januaryish is more realistic

Vault Boy
10-03-2020, 12:11 AM
Imagine if he wins us the Scottish Cup this season.

Since452
10-03-2020, 05:40 AM

I already blame him for winning the cup and playing Hanlon, Stevenson and Whittaker in the final meaning they're still here next season. Questions need asked of him. Hopefully we can get rid of him now before it happens so we can concentrate on signing Efe Ambrose.

Booked4Being-Ugly
10-03-2020, 06:13 AM
They may say you're a dreamer.

BILLYHIBS
10-03-2020, 06:15 AM
They may say you're a dreamer.

He’s not the only one. :greengrin

JimBHibees
10-03-2020, 07:01 AM

Absolutely does not merit calling for his head however to be so completely outplayed did ring some alarm bells for sure particularly the semi final and a possible further Derby in the league.

Joe Baker2
12-03-2020, 06:02 AM
Jack Ross is a good manager. I think he deflected the pressure of the last derby too much though and the players backed off a bit as a consequence . A manager can only lose so many games against the Yams, no matter who they are. He needs to think like a Hibee.

Since452
12-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Jack Ross is a good manager. I think he deflected the pressure of the last derby too much though and the players backed off a bit as a consequence . A manager can only lose so many games against the Yams, no matter who they are. He needs to think like a Hibee.

I disagree. The first 60 minutes at Pittodrie was exactly the response I wanted. The red card killed us.

green day
12-03-2020, 06:16 AM
Jack Ross is a good manager. I think he deflected the pressure of the last derby too much though and the players backed off a bit as a consequence . A manager can only lose so many games against Hearts, no matter who they are. He needs to think like a Hibee.

JR has won one, lost one against them....................