PDA

View Full Version : Will Hibs make the top six?

emerald green
07-03-2020, 04:19 PM
It's looking like Hibs will have to beat St Johnstone next week, because I can't see them winning away at Hamilton nor at ER against Celtic.

cabbageandribs1875
07-03-2020, 04:23 PM
if we fail to beat st.johnstone next week i'd say naw

then away to a team of battlers followed by sellick

Mmmm

Hibs90
07-03-2020, 04:25 PM
No.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2020, 04:25 PM
When it comes to the financial implications of not making top 6 then obviously I want us to do so.

Beyond that I don't really care. The split makes finishing 6th seem like an achievement when it really isn't. Take the split out the equation and no one would really make any effort to differentiate between 6th and 7th.

Fifehibby74
07-03-2020, 04:27 PM
No chance now. Forms dipped. St Johnstone picking up points.

Nothing to indicate we will win. We’ve not beaten St mirren or Livingston at home recently. Been pumped of hearts and now Aberdeen.

Hope I’m wrong but glass half empty with Hibs the now

gaz1875
07-03-2020, 04:28 PM
We'll be lucky to avoid the play off game. If we don't get in the top six every game will be a battle, we have no warriors

rcarter1
If things really go wrong we could be looking at fighting to stay away from the play off relegation spot.. tricky few weeks coming up.

percy veer
Nope, too many draws against teams we really should be beating when leading.

IberianHibernian
If we beat St J probably make top 6 but think we`ll need at least 4 points including 3 against Saints . Big financial difference between 5th and 7th to 9th ( or even worse ) .

Fifehibby74
We'll be lucky to avoid the play off game. If we don't get in the top six every game will be a battle, we have no warriors

Agree we’ve been here before.

roo62
07-03-2020, 04:29 PM
It's looking like Hibs will have to beat St Johnstone next week, because I can't see them winning away at Hamilton nor at ER against Celtic.

Think St Johnston also have to play Hamilton and Celtic too Really interesting battle now.

cabbageandribs1875
07-03-2020, 04:30 PM
heartz will be desperate for another game against us

bingo70
Don’t care really.

Would rather finish bottom 6 and win the last 5 games than finish top 6 and lose the last 5 (or a big chunk of them)

Glory Lurker
I obviously hope so, but not sure we will. Financially we need it, although I think we'd struggle for points once we were there.

Our league form might change of course, and there might be some Cup magic, but for me just now the end of the season can't come quick enough.

franck sauzee
07-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Can't see it tbh. St Johnstone are playing much better than us. Really lacking balance down the left at the moment. Is Newell due back?

emerald green
When it comes to the financial implications of not making top 6 then obviously I want us to do so.

Beyond that I don't really care. The split makes finishing 6th seem like an achievement when it really isn't. Take the split out the equation and no one would really make any effort to differentiate between 6th and 7th.

Aside from the financial implications, which are very important to the summer player budget, I'd much rather see out the remaining five league fixtures playing Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livingston, than the absolute dross in the bottom six.

Greencore
Nope

hfc rd
07-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Going by form in the last 5 games, Celtic are 1st, St Johnstone 2nd & Hamilton 3rd.

Looking at it from a neutral point of view, I’d say no especially if we lose next weeks game against St Johnstone, which is now virtually a cup final.

Fifehibby74
07-03-2020, 04:33 PM
heartz will be desperate for another game against us

Guaranteed 3 points for them

IberianHibernian
07-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Beyond that I don't really care. The split makes finishing 6th seem like an achievement when it really isn't. Take the split out the equation and no one would really make any effort to differentiate between 6th and 7th.If we don`t make top 6 it`ll mean we`ve probably dropped at least 5 points from next 3 games and only be about 5 points above play off spot at split . Huge game next week .

Pretty Boy
07-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Aside from the financial implications, which are very important to the summer player budget, I'd much rather see out the remaining five league fixtures playing Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livingston, than the absolute dross in the bottom six.

I can't say I care either way. We finished last season in the top 6 and never won a game. I can't remember particularly enjoying that regardless of who the opposition were.

I'm not buying the 'we could get dragged into the play off' chat but removing that danger, however remote, is the only reason other than financial I would be bothered about top 6.

California-Hibs
07-03-2020, 04:38 PM
All comes down to next week. Beat St Johnstone and yes, we will finish top 6. Big game

neil7908
07-03-2020, 04:38 PM
I'm feeling pretty down at the moment but I still think we will. Don't fancy us to take many points after the split though.

The Captain....
07-03-2020, 04:45 PM
I dont think we will..conceding goals at the rate of 2 or 3 a game.

It's been a ****ing ***** season.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Biggie
07-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Hard to see where the next win will come from.....what a decline.
Why oh why did we let bartley go ?
No steel.....the boyband returns

GreenCastle
07-03-2020, 04:48 PM
No - felt this way for weeks.

2 more Derbies left and also some important games to make sure we don’t get dragged into a mess and have a say on who goes down.

Top 6 money will be a loss and also knock on effect to ST sales.

PeeJay
07-03-2020, 04:49 PM
On recent form the answer has to be no - too many players currently off form or their heads are elsewhere and no-one at the club seems to be able to focus them, bad time of the season for that ....

coldingham hibs
07-03-2020, 04:53 PM
Don’t care really.

Would rather finish bottom 6 and win the last 5 games than finish top 6 and lose the last 5 (or a big chunk of them)

You seriously think we would win any bottom 6 games?. We need the cushion of top 6 otherwise we are relegation fodder.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 04:58 PM
If we lose next week we'll be in the bottom 6.

roo62
07-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Bring back Eddie and Grant for next week 😀

PompeyHibs
07-03-2020, 05:05 PM
No - i just hope we can secure 3-6pts during our next 8 matches to secure a 9/10th place finish!
9 league wins in 30 league games is terrible imo
Team has no balance imo

wookie70
07-03-2020, 05:09 PM
We have 7 points from the last 6 games but 6 of those were from games 1 and 2. 1 point from 12 which along with Killie is the worst in the league. A win against St Js and we should have done enough for top six but anything else and we could easily slip down the league Butcher style. Top six, a semi final from Heck and a Final from Ross and we shouldn't be grumbling too much. Lennon left it too long to start the rebuild and Heck never got anywhere near enough time to complete the job. I don't see Ross as being wildly better than Heck if I'm honest but we really need to stick with a manager and have a plan.

Keith_M
Top Six is now the best we're going to achieve.

I've no idea if we will or not, it's up to Hibs to sort things out and make it happen.

hibby6270
Other than guaranteeing we wouldn’t be dragged into a relegation struggle, coupled with 5 games against so called “better” teams, history shows it will make little or no difference how we end the league season.

Since the split was introduced, we’ve only had what you could say were acceptable last 5 games.
2002/2003 - 4 wins, 1 loss.
2012/2013 - 3 wins, 2 draws
Both these seasons were in the bottom 6

In all, we’ve been Top 6 - 8 times and Bottom 6 - 8 times

Overall record is:
P 80
W 21
D 21
L 38

So all things considered, from a purely ‘what have we got to look forward to post split’?
Stats would say - not much - regardless of whether we’re Top 6 or Bottom 6, with of course the caveat that Bottom 6 this season gives a chance that relegation or play offs is possible.

As a Hibby of 57 years, mid table mediocrity is the norm. Dallying with the upper end or foot of the table is not a frequent event, whichever way you look at it. Yeah, we all want the top end of the table experience more regularly but it sadly doesn’t work out that way. And thankfully, although a pain in the backside, relegation doesn’t occur much either. Only 3 times since I was born.

Although I don’t want to, I’ve got used to it, everyone else should as well.

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 05:10 PM
No - i just hope we can secure 3-6pts during our next 8 matches to secure a 9/10th place finish!

That's just silly.

JXM73
07-03-2020, 05:12 PM

Nope, we cant buy a win

Nicho87
07-03-2020, 05:14 PM
No. Soft as fresh dug poo.

rotherhamrob
07-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Yes

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Nah.

Squealing pig
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM
50/50 atm I’d say yes .

Squealing pig
07-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Nah.

Will hearts stay up?

The Spaceman
07-03-2020, 05:21 PM
League campaign now completely rests on next week.

Win and it is game on - we will still very much be in the mix for Europe and should be enough to see us in the Top 6. Draw and we are making things difficult/will be relying on other teams dropping points. Lose and can forget this season with 7k crowds seeing out the remainder of the games at ER.

Part of me wonders if we have become victims of our own (reasonable) successes under Jack Ross. I would have ripped your hand off to be in the position we are currently in (sniff of Europe and a Scottish Cup Semi) when Heckingbottom was sacked, but our two most recent results feel like a complete kick in the baws.

I like Jack Ross and we are definitely a better team under his management. Just a shame players like Hanlon and Stevenson have proven this season they are now well and truly past it for us.

jeffers
07-03-2020, 05:24 PM
Regardless of our final position I think the club are going to have to make some inspired signings in the summer if we have any hope of keeping season ticket levels the same as this season never mind increasing them. A big tv, working tannoy and better catering just won’t cut it.

NAE NOOKIE
07-03-2020, 05:30 PM
As per the above post, our historical form as a top 6 side is slightly below bang average. If this team makes it in anything like its current form I dread to think how those 5 games will go in all honesty.

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that looking at us just now the bottom 3 clubs won't be crying in their beer to see us end up in the bottom 6. It's becoming clear that even if we have the apatite for a battle what we don't have is the ability to battle. Hearts showed on Tuesday they can out muscle us, Hamilton are notoriously good scrappers at the arse end of every season and I'm sure with Goodwin at the helm any St Mirren player not giving his all will be booted up the bum.

Even if we were to lose to St Johnstone next week I couldn't see us being in danger of ending up in the play off spot if we were bottom 6. But I do fear that we could come close, which will make for one rotten season and the continuation of a downward trend season upon season.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Will hearts stay up?

That might depend on us rolling over to them again. If we didn’t twice at home they would be ten behind, yes ten behind Hamilton.

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Regardless of our final position I think the club are going to have to make some inspired signings in the summer if we have any hope of keeping season ticket levels the same as this season never mind increasing them. A big tv, working tannoy and better catering just won’t cut it.

Totally agree.

None of the other stuff matters if we haven't got winning team on the park

Smartie
07-03-2020, 05:33 PM
Dunno.

It’s up to them.

It probably depends on getting Newell back into the team.

mcfly
07-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Not unless we learn to defend.

I would think regardless where we end up -our manager has to be ruthless and get rid of players who he thinks cannot improve us.

Regardless whether they are cup winning heroes or not

Bottom 6 football will not encourage people to sign up early
for next season

emerald green
07-03-2020, 05:38 PM

As things stand, I can see there being a drop in season ticket sales/renewals for next season sadly. I base this on comments made to me by some very angry and disillusioned fellow Hibs supporters.

The "feelgood factor" following winning the Scottish Cup and the following season seems like a long time ago right now.

Stokesy's on fire
07-03-2020, 05:40 PM

It all boils down to Ambition..5 year plan in place...so lets see how we are 5 years on....

jeffers
07-03-2020, 05:50 PM
As things stand, I can see there being a drop in season ticket sales/renewals for next season sadly. I base this on comments made to me by some very angry and disillusioned fellow Hibs supporters.

The "feelgood factor" following winning the Scottish Cup and the following season seems like a long time ago right now.

Absolutely.

I will renew but I can hardly say I’ve enjoyed this season and the thought of paying an increase next season for more of the same doesn’t fill me with excitement. If RG thinks the stuff off the pitch is going to get fans turning up in bigger numbers he’s sadly mistaken.

BILLYHIBS
07-03-2020, 05:51 PM
No

emerald green
07-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Absolutely.

I will renew but I can hardly say I’ve enjoyed this season and the thought of paying an increase next season for more of the same doesn’t fill me with excitement. If RG thinks the stuff off the pitch is going to get fans turning up in bigger numbers he’s sadly mistaken.

:agree: Tuesday night's performance and result in particular, I suspect, may have a detrimental affect on ST sales. Some of the damage might be repaired if Hibs can win the semi-final, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Glory Lurker
07-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Unless we turn our performances right around, scraping a top six place won't stop the inevitable dent in ST renewals.
Winning the Cup would do that. I wonder if we will start just focusing on that. I wouldn't object if it worked, of course :-)

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Unless we turn our performances right around, scraping a top six place won't stop the inevitable dent in ST renewals.
Winning the Cup would do that. I wonder if we will start just focusing on that. I wouldn't object if it worked, of course :-)

I really don't see us beating Celtic.

emerald green
07-03-2020, 06:08 PM

Or Aberdeen... :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 07:01 PM
Or Aberdeen... :rolleyes:

Aberdeen won't beat Celtic.

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 07:01 PM

I'm sorry to have to say this but, I don't see us beating Hearts in the Semi Final.

Our season is most likely going to peter out disappointingly, with a meltdown among the support when we lose yet again to Hearts at Hampden.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry to have to say this but, I don't see us beating Hearts in the Semi Final.

Our season is most likely going to peter out disappointingly, with a meltdown among the support when we lose yet again to Hearts at Hampden.

Wouldn't surprise me.

mcfly
07-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Hibs have to beat hearts at hampden.

We have lost too many big games to them and this is a game we cannot lose.

Season ticket renewals will not be quick if we get gubbed again

Board need to show real ambition and that costs

Andy74
07-03-2020, 07:19 PM
You seriously think we would win any bottom 6 games?. We need the cushion of top 6 otherwise we are relegation fodder.

Some absolute pish being written this evening.

Phil MaGlass
07-03-2020, 07:27 PM
I thought hibs were the better up until the sending off, or am i wrong

TheMentalHibees
07-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Agreed, but then I was actually at the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
07-03-2020, 07:44 PM
Yes.

We will beat St Johnston and Hamilton.

JammyDoidger
07-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Better hope we do, or you can guarantee we will be the team that keeps hearts up. Mental how things can change in a week.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 07:46 PM

No, you’re defo’ right. Any pressure though and the defence completely crumbles and the same players go into their shell. Aberdeen are rotten also we had a very decent first half and should have went in more than one up, unfortunately it’s the same story all the time. This defence and midfield frailty is as bad as the year we went down. Turns to **** and it’s been the same all season, from Morton to Stirling to today.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Absolute madness this place. Ah we don’t want a top 6 place as we won’t beat any of the teams anyway.

Same posters that scream about the club lacking ambition.

Frankhfc
07-03-2020, 07:56 PM
I'm desperately hoping we end up in the top six. The very last thing I would want is to be in the position of playing agsinst the teams above Hearts and probably taking points from some of them. We were the better team today deservedly leading up until Whittaker was sent off. We should be looking to beat St Johnstone next week at home and have every chance of doing so which would go a long way to cementing top six. I think we'll do it.

Dave spart
07-03-2020, 07:59 PM
I'm desperately hoping we end up in the top six. The very last thing I would want is to be in the position of playing agsinst the teams above Hearts and probably taking points from some of them. We were the better team today deservedly leading up until Whittaker was sent off. We should be looking to beat St Johnstone next week at home and have every chance of doing so which would go a long way to cementing top six. I think we'll do it.
Will be a major failure if we don’t make top six. Heads should roll if that’s the outcome.

Spike Mandela
07-03-2020, 08:21 PM
Before the defeat to Hearts we were unbeaten in 5 games winning 4 of them. Why do we get so apocalyptic after a couple of defeats?

bigwheel
07-03-2020, 08:29 PM
Before the defeat to Hearts we were unbeaten in 5 games winning 4 of them. Why do we get so apocalyptic after a couple of defeats?

It’s social media ..there is little nuance - it’s black or white on here ..defined as murder when we get beat, and often over stated when we go on a run ..the small moments in matches that turn results (the magic of football) are ignored and people often react to the end result only ..

JimBHibees
07-03-2020, 08:35 PM

Jeezo lighten up ffs.

JimBHibees
07-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Some absolute pish being written this evening.

Bipolar central. Never see posters for weeks lose a couple of games and then they are all over it. Almost as if they are revelling in it.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 08:41 PM
Will be a major failure if we don’t make top six. Heads should roll if that’s the outcome.

It would depend what the main objective was when we sacked Hecky when bottom of the table. Saying that St Johnstone looked relegation fodder in January so if they end up going ahead of us then nobody can say at all this season has been any sort of success.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 08:42 PM
Bipolar central. Never see posters for weeks lose a couple of games and then they are all over it. Almost as if they are revelling in it.

The teams went from ambitions to make Europe to hoping to scrape into the top six having been beaten off the worst team in the league which happens to be our rivals. It’s actually worrying people not seeming to mind and instead focus on posters being angry. Baffling in fact.

Hibeewilly
07-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Looking at the table St Johnstone have played 29 games and therefore have 4 left......I can only see ourselves Celtic and Hamilton that they have to play according to the fixture list so who is their other game against ? Or am I missing something?

bigwheel
07-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Looking at the table St Johnstone have played 29 games and therefore have 4 left......I can only see ourselves Celtic and Hamilton that they have to play according to the fixture list so who is their other game against ? Or am I missing something?

Rangers ...

Hibeewilly
07-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Before the split of course

bigwheel
07-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Before the split of course

Still Rangers [emoji6]

Hibeewilly
07-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Rangers ...
Cheers B

Frankhfc
07-03-2020, 08:55 PM
The teams went from ambitions to make Europe to hoping to scrape into the top six having been beaten off the worst team in the league which happens to be our rivals. It’s actually worrying people not seeming to mind and instead focus on posters being angry. Baffling in fact.

You make a decent point in that our ambitions have definitely moved downwards but we are where we now and a top six spot has become the priority. It is disappointing, however, we need to make top six and Jack has a major restructuring of our squad to manage in the summer.

GreenCastle
07-03-2020, 08:58 PM

This - would be rubbish if we had the situation where we took points off teams to help Hearts.

We have to beat Saints.

We then have Celtic and Hamilton.

Saints have same fixtures except Hamilton at home rather than we have them away and we have Celtic home they have them away.

They also have to play Rangers which still hasn’t been arranged.

Frankhfc
07-03-2020, 09:00 PM
This - would be rubbish if we had the situation where we took points off teams to help Hearts.

We have to beat Saints.

Saints have same fixtures except Hamilton at home rather than we have them away and we have Celtic home they have them away.

100% correct.

We have to remove ourselves from that horrendous scenario with ensuring we make the top six.

Lago
07-03-2020, 09:01 PM
They do.

jacomo
07-03-2020, 09:08 PM
No chance now. Forms dipped. St Johnstone picking up points.

Nothing to indicate we will win. We’ve not beaten St mirren or Livingston at home recently. Been pumped of hearts and now Aberdeen.

Hope I’m wrong but glass half empty with Hibs the now

Come to Hibs.net for hysteria and melodrama.

We are literally in the top six. I appreciate there are risks that we won’t stay here come the split, but no chance?!

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-03-2020, 09:11 PM

We have to beat Saints.

Since The Rangers are still in Europe, and with the Nations League games to be played and no fixtures planned for that week, it's likely their game against St Johnstone wont be played until after all the pre split games are finished on 5th April.

A good chance that game could determine whether we are top 6 or not as St Johnstone might need a result to finish above us.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 09:21 PM
You make a decent point in that our ambitions have definitely moved downwards but we are where we now and a top six spot has become the priority. It is disappointing, however, we need to make top six and Jack has a major restructuring of our squad to manage in the summer.

I would completely agree with this. The only concerning part is if he didn’t fancy Ambrose.

JohnMcM
08-03-2020, 08:42 AM
I expect us to to be top six. I also expect us to pushing for at least fourth. Why?

Because yesterday up until the sending off, we were in control and looking dangerous. The team were on the verge of giving us a good result after the Derby defeat. Two of their goals could, arguably, have been stopped by Rocky?

I don't buy into the idea we lost solely because we were down to ten. I believe it was the failure to replace Whitty after his first booking in a game of such importance. Then our tactics as a whole seemed to not let us adapt to being a man down.

We are missing Newell and Porteous big time in defence.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 08:54 AM
I expect us to to be top six. I also expect us to pushing for at least fourth. Why?

Because yesterday up until the sending off, we were in control and looking dangerous. The team were on the verge of giving us a good result after the Derby defeat. Two of their goals could, arguably, have been stopped by Rocky?

I don't buy into the idea we lost solely because we were down to ten. I believe it was the failure to replace Whitty after his first booking in a game of such importance. Then our tactics as a whole seemed to not let us adapt to being a man down.

Sorry to be defeatist but we have no chance of 4th after yesterday's result.

We'll need to win 3 more games than Aberdeen over the last 8 games which won't happen. If we can finish 5th, get into the cup final and take our chances against Celtic then I'll be happy.

We badly need the summer transfer window.

gaz1875
08-03-2020, 08:57 AM

Porteous? have you forgottten how bad he has been when played this season and end of last? Newell has been better than Stevenson at attacking left back, but he's only had a few games there. I don't think we should be building up too much hope these two will drive us to a European spot. I hope I eat my words though!!

JohnMcM
08-03-2020, 09:13 AM

We'll need to win 3 more games than Aberdeen over the last 8 games which won't happen. If we can finish 5th, get into the cup final and take our chances against Celtic then I'll be happy.

5th it is then:greengrin

lord bunberry
08-03-2020, 09:21 AM
I think we’ll win next week and make the top six. If you look at the form tables everyone bar Celtic are performing to a similar standard. The last 8 games show that no one has won more than 3 games in that period. While our last few games have been disappointing it’s been a similar story to our whole season and I fully expect us to bounce back at the weekend.

erin go bragh
08-03-2020, 09:25 AM
A win against St Johnstone on Saturday would put us 4 pts clear of the bottom six ( 5 really as our goal difference is superior)
Big game in Saturday. Hallberg in for Whitt’s .

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 09:36 AM
A win against St Johnstone on Saturday would put us 4 pts clear of the bottom six ( 5 really as our goal difference is superior)
Big game in Saturday. Hallberg in for Whitt’s .

St Johnstone will still have 3 games left but 2 of them are Celtic and Rangers away. If we go 4 points ahead of them next week, they won't catch us.

Kilmarnock will still have a chance if they win at home to St Mirren next week but again they'll be 4 points behind us but with only 2 games left, albeit against weaker opposition than St Johnstone have got.

Win next week and we'll be in the top 6.

emerald green
08-03-2020, 09:37 AM

So far this season, Hibs have won 9 out of 30 league matches. Lost 10. 11 draws. That's poor in such a poor league imo.

bigwheel
08-03-2020, 09:43 AM
So far this season, Hibs have won 9 out of 30 league matches. Lost 10. 11 draws. That's poor in such a poor league imo.

Yeah. Not great stats...a sign of a team going through changes ...I like the impact of Ross. I expect to see quite a different starting 11 next season .. for now let’s hope we squeeze into the top six and win a semi final ...

The Modfather
08-03-2020, 09:52 AM
As soon as we confirm top 6, or are consigned to the bottom 6 but mathematically safe from relegation, I’d like to see us blood the youngsters and give an extended run to the likes of Gullan & Murray. Promote any other youngsters that are doing well but not out on loan. We won’t learn anything new by playing the likes of Slivka, Whittaker, Horgan etc.

I’m just waiting on this season ending and, except for Hearts hopefully getting relegated, expunge it from my memory.

Lago
08-03-2020, 10:19 AM
As soon as we confirm top 6, or are consigned to the bottom 6 but mathematically safe from relegation, I’d like to see us blood the youngsters and give an extended run to the likes of Gullan & Murray. Promote any other youngsters that are doing well but not out on loan. We won’t learn anything new by playing the likes of Slivka, Whittaker, Horgan etc.

I’m just waiting on this season ending and, except for Hearts hopefully getting relegated, expunge it from my memory.
What youngsters?

ahibby
08-03-2020, 10:20 AM
Maybes aye maybes naw

The Modfather
08-03-2020, 10:32 AM
What youngsters?

Others who watch the youth games would be better placed to answer. There was a thread about the U18 derby and guys like O’Connor, Fairiey & Macintyre were mentioned as having stood out, but on checking they all look to be 16. So maybe there’s not any youngsters out with Murray & Gullan not out on loan to give a chance to.

Ronniekirk
08-03-2020, 10:33 AM
One point from possible nine in the last three games suggests it’s not a given now

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Others who watch the youth games would be better placed to answer. There was a thread about the U18 derby and guys like O’Connor, Fairiey & Macintyre were mentioned as having stood out, but on checking they all look to be 16. So maybe there’s not any youngsters out with Murray & Gullan not out on loan to give a chance to.

The only other one I can think of is Josh Campbell who played in a couple of League Cup games at the start of the season.

lord bunberry
08-03-2020, 11:31 AM

That’s absolutely mental, we’re one game away from the cup final. I think a bit of perspective is needed here.

Since452
08-03-2020, 11:46 AM
I fancy St Johnstone to pick up something from their game in hand so Saturday is crucial. Hopefully Newell is back.

The 90+2
08-03-2020, 11:48 AM
What youngsters?

The under 13s against Hamilton County and St Mirren for a start 😉

Billy Whizz
08-03-2020, 12:00 PM
I fancy St Johnstone to pick up something from their game in hand so Saturday is crucial. Hopefully Newell is back.

Think this game is scheduled for the weekend of the semi finals, which will delay the post split fixtures, unless we’ve put it to bed before then

erin go bragh
08-03-2020, 12:16 PM
Take out Heckingbottoms results and that stat will be more accurate.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 12:34 PM

If we're already safe then absolutely!

Since452
08-03-2020, 12:38 PM
The frustrating thing is top six isn't in our own hands anymore it's in St Johnstone's.

Borderhibbie76
08-03-2020, 12:48 PM

It's the way on here mate...some fans on Twitter calling for Ross to be sacked...some Hibs fans really are idiots these days

BFG
08-03-2020, 01:04 PM
The frustrating thing is top six isn't in our own hands anymore it's in St Johnstone's.
Not if we beat them on Saturday

Heckys Wheel
08-03-2020, 01:09 PM

If you’re looking to throw these games we could just put out the same team that played Hearts. 🤷🏼*♂️

Hibbyradge
08-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Saturday is massive.

St Johnstone have the same teams to play as us, albeit at the opposite grounds, plus an away game at Livingston.

A draw or a St Johnstone win would put them firmly in the driving seat, but a home win should give us a good chance to make the top 6.

I've got my trains and match day tickets booked.

erin go bragh
08-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Of course it’s still in our hands . We win our last three games ,we’re in the top six .
If we fail to beat St Johnstone on Saturday, then it wouldn’t be in our own hands .

JohnM1875
08-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Think we'll make the top 6. But don't really see that as much of an achievement.

Totally understand the mess Ross Took over, so fair play to him. But let's be honest, finishing above County, St Mirren, Hamilton, Hearts (this season) should be the minimum required.

For those saying they don't care, surely you'd rather the remaining home games to be against decent opposition?

JohnM1875
08-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Of course it’s still in our hands . We win our last three games ,we’re in the top six .
If we fail to beat St Johnstone on Saturday, then it wouldn’t be in our own hands .

Nah. St Johnstone have a game in hand. So if they win all their games they'll finish above us regardless.

Shrekko
08-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Nah. St Johnstone have a game in hand. So if they win all their games they'll finish above us regardless.

I think the point being made is that BOTH Hibs and St Johnstone have it in their own hands which is 100 percent true no matter what way you look at it. They win all their games they do it, we win all our games then we do it.

Both teams can’t win all their games as we play each other so you’d think that Saturdays game is pretty pivotal.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 01:56 PM

Yes but if we win our 3 matches, it means St Johnstone will lose one of theirs and so if they win their other 3 matches it won't matter if we win our remaining matches.

JohnM1875
08-03-2020, 02:00 PM
I think the point being made is that BOTH Hibs and St Johnstone have it in their own hands which is 100 percent true no matter what way you look at it. They win all their games they do it, we win all our games then we do it.

Both teams can’t win all their games as we play each other so you’d think that Saturdays game is pretty pivotal.

Yes but if we win our 3 matches, it means St Johnstone will lose one of theirs and so if they win their other 3 matches it won't matter if we win our remaining matches.

Point well made guys. My bad.

I do still think we'll finish top 6 though. And probably 5th.

eastender1
08-03-2020, 04:43 PM

Definitely take 5th and a cup final. Does that get us a Europa League spot, or has that finally gone for losing cup finalists against winners who have already qualified?

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Definitely take 5th and a cup final. Does that get us a Europa League spot, or has that finally gone for losing cup finalists against winners who have already qualified?

You have to win to get the European place.

If Celtc win the Cup, the extra Euro place goes to the team that finishes fourth in the league

coldingham hibs
08-03-2020, 04:51 PM
The last time we won a home LEAGUE game against St Johnstone was in the 2012/13 season. Not a very encouraging stat.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 05:14 PM

No, cup finalists haven't qualified for Europe for several years.

If we don't win it we'll have to finish 4th to get Europe.

Deansy
08-03-2020, 05:42 PM
If things really go wrong we could be looking at fighting to stay away from the play off relegation spot.. tricky few weeks coming up.

Agreed, we just don't have enough players determined to do their best for the club !. Hopefully in the summer 'Mental strength/resilience' will feature more prominently in the check-list for possible targets !

Ronniekirk
08-03-2020, 06:03 PM
No, cup finalists haven't qualified for Europe for several years.

If we don't win it we'll have to finish 4th to get Europe.

Well we are unlikely to achieve either with our defence conceding at an alarming rate with no real options to change things

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Well we are unlikely to achieve either with our defence conceding at an alarming rate with no real options to change things

We have more chance of winning the cup than we do finishing 4th.

We are 8 points away from 4th place with 8 games left which is too many.

Waxy
08-03-2020, 06:51 PM
Stuff it. Lets just win the cup, again.

EI255
08-03-2020, 07:26 PM
In a season full of disappointment, I can't see us making it.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Blaster
08-03-2020, 07:32 PM
Quite strange that reaching 2 semi finals and getting into the top 6 would seem a disappointing season to so many.

The Modfather
08-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Quite strange that reaching 2 semi finals and getting into the top 6 would seem a disappointing season to so many.

The league is a true barometer of how successful the season was IMO. Two semi finals is an achievement, but cup runs are about luck as much as anything in terms of who you draw. We will likely finish 6th if we make the top 6 as Livi are probably more consistent than us. Genuine question, would you take two semi finals and 6th if offered at the start of a season?

Blaster
08-03-2020, 09:06 PM
The league is a true barometer of how successful the season was IMO. Two semi finals is an achievement, but cup runs are about luck as much as anything in terms of who you draw. We will likely finish 6th if we make the top 6 as Livi are probably more consistent than us. Genuine question, would you take two semi finals and 6th if offered at the start of a season?

Yes I would. Cups are our only chance of success. Obviously I’d like to qualify for Europe but I’d prefer to do that by winning the Scottish. The point I was making though is it’s not the disaster folk make it out to be. We all want better but our history in league placings in the last 20+ years is generally worse than this season

Smartie
08-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Anything below 5th is a failure and requires more than a couple of semi-finals after very favourable draws to salvage a season.

If we finish 6th or lower then at least one team with a much smaller budget has finished above us. After the number of season tickets we've sold, the McGinn money, money from our new owner etc we shouldn't be finishing behind both Livingston and Motherwell over 38 games.

A cup WIN, or some mitigating factors such as a fixture pile up or horrible luck with injuries might make me go a bit easier on them, but that's what I expect.

I'd be disappointed if anyone at Hibs expected anything less tbh.

You could see this coming with the squad built last summer. Pitiful preparation for a club with our ambitions and tbh some people deserve credit (Ross, Boyle, Doidge) for their role in just about salvaging something from it.

SkintHibby
09-03-2020, 12:01 AM

That mentality is why Hibs never get anywhere!