PDA

View Full Version : progress?when exactly.

familyman
07-03-2020, 04:07 PM
After the shame of Tuesday,we see yet another performance where a red card is shown.Why do we not learn?Bad enough charging out the door on Tuesday with 10 mins left.
Yet again losing a lead today , we do not learn.
The manager dangled a carrot of Europe according to the Daily Express, well this lot got stuck in the headlights just like rabbits it seems from what I can gleam.

A clear out is vital.We have lacked for months a leader on the park and failed to sign a centre half in January ,why was that when it was so so obvious.
In the total absence of a Scott Brown we are going nowhere..yet still we seem to not realise where the weaknesses are.
Kamberi left with enthusiasm it seems ,now we have to watch Dylan in Red,what on earth is going on at Easter Road!
If indeed we are serious about Top European and Cup finals the enough talk .action is overdue.
I thought the players were going to be on fire today after press comments and the embarrassment earlier this week...
It will soon be season ticket renewal time ,I wonder what response that will get.
It makes me really sad to see this team let us down far too often.

07-03-2020, 04:09 PM
Do you really read the daily express?

mcfly
07-03-2020, 04:09 PM
I think we can forget 3rd or 4th

Season all depends on beating hearts at hampden.

A big change in attitude is needed to get right into the them and not be bullied like we were last Tuesday.

Win this game and I think season tickets soar - losing is unthinkable to the mood of our club.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 04:10 PM
We were winning until the sending off.

Hysterics man. We knew the issues, they were pre Ross. Give him the chance to rebuild in the summer.

Crab apple
07-03-2020, 04:12 PM
After the shame of Tuesday,we see yet another performance where a red card is shown.Why do we not learn?Bad enough charging out the door on Tuesday with 10 mins left.
Yet again losing a lead today , we do not learn.
The manager dangled a carrot of Europe according to the Daily Express, well this lot got stuck in the headlights just like rabbits it seems from what I can gleam.

A clear out is vital.We have lacked for months a leader on the park and failed to sign a centre half in January ,why was that when it was so so obvious.
In the total absence of a Scott Brown we are going nowhere..yet still we seem to not realise where the weaknesses are.
Kamberi left with enthusiasm it seems ,now we have to watch Dylan in Red,what on earth is going on at Easter Road!
If indeed we are serious about Top European and Cup finals the enough talk .action is overdue.
I thought the players were going to be on fire today after press comments and the embarrassment earlier this week...
It will soon be season ticket renewal time ,I wonder what response that will get.
It makes me really sad to see this team let us down far too often.

Scott Brown is exactly the type of leader we need on the pitch next season.

Since452
07-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Bossing the game until the sending off. It's one extreme or the other on here at times

wookie70
07-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Hysterics man. We knew the issues, they were pre Ross. Give him the chance to rebuild in the summer.They were also pre Heck but he got a single window to sort it.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2020, 04:16 PM
We were in danger of being involved in a relegation scrap when Hecky was sacked. That is no longer the case. Like it or not that's progress.

I said in December we had no chance of 3rd or 4th because of both what we had left ourselves to do and our own shortcomings. That, sadly, looks an accurate assessment. Playing out the season to finish 5th, 6th or 7th is how it is going to be. It's all about the cup game now. We need to just deal with it.

neil7908
07-03-2020, 04:18 PM

Hysterics man. We knew the issues, they were pre Ross. Give him the chance to rebuild in the summer.

Nah sorry that's letting him off far too easy.

Not calling for his head but if we're going to give him a big budget in the summer we need to have trust that he can galvanise players, change a game and make the right signings.

Question marks over all of the above right now.

Since452
07-03-2020, 04:18 PM
To have been talking about 3rd only last week shows the massive progress since Ross came in.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 04:20 PM
Need a whole new defence. Lost a ridiculous amount of goals this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
07-03-2020, 04:20 PM
Bossing the game until the sending off. It's one extreme or the other on here at times

Aye then has no game plan afterwards.

Golden Bear
07-03-2020, 04:23 PM
I'll exit Hibs Net for tonight, it looks as though it will be a right depressing read.

🙄

Riverside Hibs
07-03-2020, 04:27 PM
I am not sure there were many of us there who thought we see it out with 10 men. Where at first game Aberdeen went down to 9 and still got draw.

B.H.F.C
07-03-2020, 04:28 PM

Never mind game plan. Guts, balls and a bit of determination was what was needed. We don’t have the players with the character for that.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 04:29 PM
Nah sorry that's letting him off far too easy.

Not calling for his head but if we're going to give him a big budget in the summer we need to have trust that he can galvanise players, change a game and make the right signings.

Question marks over all of the above right now.

Amazing what a couple of defeats on the bounce can do. Nobody complained about the signings before the derby or today. We lost today as we went down to 10 men. We were bossing the game before that.

BoomtownHibees
07-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Game plan? We done exactly what we had to do with 10 men, sacrifice a striker but keep the shape. The players let us down badly after that, no fight, nobody wanting to take the game with the scruff of the next. A distinct lack of leaders out there

madhatter
07-03-2020, 04:31 PM
To have been talking about 3rd only last week shows the massive progress since Ross came in.

This is how I see the progress: league position - yes. Club stature, ST numbers for next season, a solid squad to strengthen going into next season - no. We've made progress within this current season but as a club we have not made progress, I said months ago unless we recruit really well in the summer (almost at the exceptional level) our ST numbers will go down, that isn't being pessimistic that's being realistic. People spend a lot to follow Hibs and seeing club with poor players on 2-3 year contracts and seeing club finish 5-7th in the table isn't going to entice them to renew. Our reliance on loans makes you wonder how much we are paying our permanent players etc. especially with such a small squad.

Short term progress in football is worthless and part of the reason we are fairly hopeless in maintaining a season to season challenge in the top 4-5. One good season is followed up by a mediocre one. We are now having a couple of mediocre seasons in a row.

We can celebrate an improvement since Ross came in but where have we seen this before? Hecky last season. People said the exact same about Hecky and recruitment in the summer - we always seem to be saying "it's an improvement" and "wait until he does his rebuild and gets his own players". This is all deja vu.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2020, 04:32 PM
We are a great team when things are going well, but right now we are like a boxer who can only take one hit.

neil7908
07-03-2020, 04:33 PM
Amazing what a couple of defeats on the bounce can do. Nobody complained about the signings before the derby or today. We lost today as we went down to 10 men. We were bossing the game before that.

Hamilton want down to 10 men and won today. We were ahead with 30 minutes to hold out and lost 3 goals.

Being down to 10 men doesn't mean you automatically lose.

After an insipid derby performance it sounds like we have folded again as soon as things got a bit tough. Big changes needed in the summer but he has to show he can be trusted to lead that transition.

Stokesy's on fire
07-03-2020, 04:36 PM
Losing to rank teams is becoming a thing...referee cost us that game

Stokesy's on fire
07-03-2020, 04:36 PM
We are a great team when things are going well, but right now we are like a boxer who can only take one hit.

Perfectly sums us up actually well put

Jones28
07-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Hamilton want down to 10 men and won today. We were ahead with 30 minutes to hold out and lost 3 goals.

Being down to 10 men doesn't mean you automatically lose.

After an insipid derby performance it sounds like we have folded again as soon as things got a bit tough. Big changes needed in the summer but he has to show he can be trusted to lead that transition.

That’s not what I’m saying is it though? All I mean is that while we had 11 on the park we were well on top and should probably have another goal and possibly a penalty.

The sending off changes the game entirely, couple with an individual error for Jackson, Hanlon and Marciano for the respective goals. You cannot, as a manager, legislate or prepare for that. You can take responsibility after the fact but you can’t predict it.

What does he have to do to prove himself? Drastically improve our league position? Win a derby at tynecaslte? Qualify for a semi final? Make some good, solid January signings?

JimBHibees
07-03-2020, 04:41 PM

You think the players wouldn't know what was required with 10 men, defend like beast, waste time, break when possible, stop them scoring.

neil7908
07-03-2020, 04:42 PM
That’s not what I’m saying is it though? All I mean is that while we had 11 on the park we were well on top and should probably have another goal and possibly a penalty.

The sending off changes the game entirely, couple with an individual error for Jackson, Hanlon and Marciano for the respective goals. You cannot, as a manager, legislate or prepare for that. You can take responsibility after the fact but you can’t predict it.

What does he have to do to prove himself? Drastically improve our league position? Win a derby at tynecaslte? Qualify for a semi final? Make some good, solid January signings?

Start winning games consistently and not put a team out that gets rolled over by a bottom of the table Hearts.

BTW I'm not saying his position should be in any danger right now but I'm becoming concerned.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 04:45 PM
Start winning games consistently and not put a team out that gets rolled over by a bottom of the table Hearts.

BTW I'm not saying his name position should be in any danger right now but I'm becoming concerned.

The individual players rolled over against Hearts. It’s the players that go onto the pitch, no one takes responsibility and the team fails. That isn’t the manager.

I appreciate that, anyone doing that at this stage needs their head looking at. But we need to allow him to bring in bodies that can lead. His priority in the summer will be signing a captain.

GreenCastle
07-03-2020, 04:52 PM
We can’t defend so basically need to score 2 every game for any chance of 3 points

neil7908
07-03-2020, 04:53 PM
The individual players rolled over against Hearts. It’s the players that go onto the pitch, no one takes responsibility and the team fails. That isn’t the manager.

I appreciate that, anyone doing that at this stage needs their head looking at. But we need to allow him to bring in bodies that can lead. His priority in the summer will be signing a captain.

I agree to some extent but I personally want to see enough positives in the remainder of the season to entrust him with that rebuild.

It would be difficult for me to have trust in the club giving him a big wad of cash in a few months if we finish bottom 6 and get put out in the semi final.

Hopefully we won't find ourselves in that position though!

Hibs90
07-03-2020, 04:57 PM
For me recruitment has been poor and has alot to answer for. Injuries obviously dictated some things but to have no other left back, no defensive midfielder, 3 senior strikers (one of whom is a youth player) and an ageing defence has cost us big time. We needed to replace Bartley and Milligan since the summer and it hasn't been done. McNulty and Omeonga on paper looked like decent signings, but in reality neither have worked out so far. You could argue they were made just to appease the fans as they were well liked last time around. McGinn looks much what I expected, steady and fairly reliable but ultimately average. Bogdan can't get a sniff for some reason. Poor summer recruitment (again) and squad management/planning has been our failing this season and more questions need asked of what is actually going on in the recruitment side of things. We need another big summer of getting the squad rebuilt and to be honest based on the last couple of summer windows I have zero faith in our ability to do that.

madhatter
07-03-2020, 05:02 PM

Why didn't he sign a captain in January? Why didn't Hecky sign a captain?

Beyond Doidge I'm unconvinced by any of last summer's signings. People talk about Newell but beyond set pieces he hasn't contributed enough overall in open play. The rest look like they need cleared out in my opinion yet we plod along to the summer after coming out of a January transfer window weaker than when we started - let 2 strikers go to bring in 1 (who looks unfit).

I've almost completely lost faith in how Hibs recruit players. We had a nice flurry in the Championship with Fyvie, McGeouch, Bartley, Gray, Boyle, Allan, McGinn and many more but that looks like it is entirely gone. What led to our relegation? Poor core squad and temporary fixes (loans/short contracts) to fill rest of squad. This is exactly what led to 2012 cup final as well. We are rapidly heading back to that. ST numbers decreasing as the club routinely get it wrong will have us back at this very quickly and I don't blame the fans.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Beyond Doidge I'm unconvinced by any of last summer's signings. People talk about Newell but beyond set pieces he hasn't contributed enough overall in open play. The rest look like they need cleared out in my opinion yet we plod along to the summer after coming out of a January transfer window weaker than when we started - let 2 strikers go to bring in 1 (who looks unfit).

I've almost completely lost faith in how Hibs recruit players. We had a nice flurry in the Championship with Fyvie, McGeouch, Bartley, Gray, Boyle, Allan, McGinn and many more but that looks like it is entirely gone. What led to our relegation? Poor core squad and temporary fixes (loans/short contracts) to fill rest of squad. This is exactly what led to 2012 cup final as well. We are rapidly heading back to that. ST numbers decreasing as the club routinely get it wrong will have us back at this very quickly and I don't blame the fans.

Agree, only Doidge gets pass marks on past seasons recruitment. And then we promoted the head of recruitment. Classic Hibs.

wookie70
07-03-2020, 05:18 PM
Drastically improve our league position? Win a derby at tynecaslte? Qualify for a semi final? Make some good, solid January signings? That all applied to Heck and he never got long when he started losing, or more often than not drawing games

Jones28
07-03-2020, 05:18 PM

My personal view is that he was keeping whatever reserves of money we have for the summer whilst making a couple of shrewd signings in key areas.

Hecky made a number of **** signings and let two captains go, he’s got more to answer for than anyone else. I don’t think Ross felt that he needed to in January.

Remember that going into January Hanlon was playing well as captain and things were going reasonably well, especially in comparison to earlier in the season. We have a couple of ***** results - and there’s no getting good away from it, they were ***** - and the board goes into meltdown.

We were heading towards that, yes, but if you can’t see that there has been progress then you’re a lost cause I’m afraid. We’ve clearly got players with decent ability, but it’s consistency and leadership sorted, and some pretty major surgery on the defence that will test Ross.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM
That all applied to Heck and he never got long when he started losing, or more often than not drawing games

And nobody called for his head in the summer, least of all the board who backed him with huge money.

Heckingbottom downfall was the league position we found ourselves in, but more so was that we were there after loosing or drawing so many games from winning postions.

Nicho87
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Match day screen and new audio system

wookie70
07-03-2020, 06:35 PM
And nobody called for his head in the summer, least of all the board who backed him with huge money.

Heckingbottom downfall was the league position we found ourselves in, but more so was that we were there after loosing or drawing so many games from winning postions.

Ross had a good start like Heck. It was the 9 points from 11 games that Heck got sacked for. When he got sacked we were 1 point behind St Johnstone and 4 points behind Livi so although I wouldn't argue that there has been progress since Ross came in it has been in line with the number of points St Johnston and Livi have been picking up. That really isn't that great and Ross has had the massive advantage of Boyle being back and Doidge starting to score as well as a transfer window. Ross will get plenty of time from me. I would have given Fenlon and Heck more time but he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire like he did at St Mirren.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Ross had a good start like Heck. It was the 9 points from 11 games that Heck got sacked for. When he got sacked we were 1 point behind St Johnstone and 4 points behind Livi so although I wouldn't argue that there has been progress since Ross came in it has been in line with the number of points St Johnston and Livi have been picking up. That really isn't that great and Ross has had the massive advantage of Boyle being back and Doidge starting to score as well as a transfer window. Ross will get plenty of time from me. I would have given Fenlon and Heck more time but he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire like he did at St Mirren.

So your argument is that because our rate of improvement is the same as that of Livingston and St Johnston it’s not deserving of as much credit as it would be in isolation?

I heard a stat on the radio today - forgive me for not having the exact wording - about Livingston and the basis of it was that they picked up most of their points at home on the plastic pitch and that one of the 2 or 3 wins they had away from home was against Hamilton on their plastic pitch. I’m not one to argue that a small club doing well is a bad thing, but I would argue that their pitch is a massive leveller. It shouldn’t be allowed, and if you can’t afford to maintain a grass pitch tough titty. It’s not a justification, because our record against Livingston home and away is awful - I think we’ve had three 1-1 draws at home to them in recent times - but it is something to think about. They’ve made their home a fortress.

The same can be said for Killie and Hamilton by the way.

St Johnston, as has been said in the news over the last couple of weeks, are haemorrhaging money, which would be an explanation as to why they are doing so well. They aren’t cheating, but they’re digging into reserves and that is not sustainable. Maybe the board shat it and chucked money at it in January? I don’t know, but that would be my feeling.

Smartie
07-03-2020, 10:10 PM
Agree, only Doidge gets pass marks on past seasons recruitment. And then we promoted the head of recruitment. Classic Hibs.

Newell and Jackson have both been decent signings. Arguably both of them should have played more as they’ve both been generally good when called upon, even if they’ve both missed chunks of the season for one reason or another.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 10:16 PM
There has been undoubtedly been progress since Jack Ross came to the club. League position shows this. Various performances show this. He’s not a miracle worker though and he’s managed to get loan signings in and a St Mirren defender in because the budget was skooshed recklessly by Hecky. There’s literally no team being created just a random bunch of not bad players with a bottom six defence and no defensive midfielder while we player 352.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Newell and Jackson have both been decent signings. Arguably both of them should have played more as they’ve both been generally good when called upon, even if they’ve both missed chunks of the season for one reason or another.

Neither of them have enough good performances to say they have been a success.

zitelli62
07-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Why do we sit off our opponents rather than be in there faces at least it shows a bit of fight,We were in control today until the sending off but then we sit back and dont get in there faces doesn't matter who's in the team surely 100% effort is the least we can expect, On a good note great turn out by our fans today.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 10:23 PM

Newell has been decent recently in various positions and Jackson has been good until the last couple of games.

But.

I would love once, just once a head of recruitment or a manager to sign players for a specific position in a balanced team in a formation we wish to go forward on. We have back up for Stevenson (who’s been rotten) because James can play left back (so it’s not priority), Slivka/Newell/Halberg/Mallan/Omeonga all kicking about the same role Whittaker (we don’t need another right back he can cover there) kicking about defensive midfield. We needed two new forwards in January, we let Flo’ go replaced with McNulty who looks unfit as **** while some said we didn’t want Efe back because he’s not played for ages. Now we have Gullan and Doidge, which I’m happy with btw but it’s not ideal on the recruitment side. There’s cracks all over the shop.

The 90+2
07-03-2020, 10:24 PM
Why do we sit off our opponents rather than be in there faces at least it shows a bit of fight,We were in control today until the sending off but then we sit back and dont get in there faces doesn't matter who's in the team surely 100% effort is the least we can expect, On a good note great turn out by our fans today.

Because we have a team full of cowards that go into a shell and have no leaders on the pitch. Aberdeen today was Morton earlier this season. Going gets tough the players brick it.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 10:33 PM

To be fair, we were in control until the sending off. We didn’t need to start getting into teams faces - until the sending off. Ross seems to have an incredible amount of trust in players who have let him down to the tune of 26 points thrown away from winning positions.