PDA

View Full Version : David Gray

Hibees1973
06-03-2020, 07:35 PM
Where is he?

Know he had a couple of games at the end of last year and was not anywhere near fit, so was pulled out of the side.

But, he has not been in any squads recently and there are no newspaper articles saying he is injured.

When he played a couple of games at the end of last year a few posters on here said he was done, finished. He is only 32 and nowhere near finished.

There are 5 weeks until the semi final, and personally I would want a fit David Gray captaining and leading us out. I am in no way sentimental. I really feel that a powerful, solid, strong tackling Gray is what we need. McGinn has done well, but Gray brings leadership that we need.

Does anyone know what is going on?

HibeeHibernian4
06-03-2020, 07:40 PM
He was in photos of them training today I’m sure?

RoYO!
That'll be, Sir, David Gray.

:)

Godsahibby
He was at the Krispy Kreme drive through about 8.30 this morning getting himself a coffee.

Possibly carrying a knock or he would have parked and walked inside.

BILLYHIBS
06-03-2020, 07:42 PM
Last played 1/2/2020

HIBS 2 v 2 St Mirren

Looked a wee bit off the pace did not reappear for the second half

Not sure if picked up a knock

Hibees1973
06-03-2020, 07:43 PM

Indeed, my bad.

Billy Whizz
Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the squad tomorrow

Sir David Gray

You called?

BILLYHIBS
06-03-2020, 07:45 PM
You called?

:not worth

tamig
06-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Last played 1/2/2020

HIBS 2 v 2 St Mirren

Looked a wee bit off the pace did not reappear for the second half

Not sure if picked up a knock
He was shocking in that game.

James Stephen
06-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Could do with reintroducing him - we miss that character and leadership.

PISTOL1875
06-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Like Hanlon , Stevenson and Mcgregor he's better off calling it a day and freeing up a wage..

HibeeHibernian4
06-03-2020, 08:29 PM
Like Hanlon , Stevenson and Mcgregor he's better off calling it a day and freeing up a wage..

I think him and McGregor have more left to give than Stevenson and Hanlon personally. McGregor was a rock at Tynecastle and we missed him on Tuesday. Gray and McGregor have contracts which are aimed at blooding them into the coaching setup no?

PISTOL1875
06-03-2020, 08:40 PM
I think him and McGregor have more left to give than Stevenson and Hanlon personally. McGregor was a rock at Tynecastle and we missed him on Tuesday. Gray and McGregor have contracts which are aimed at blooding them into the coaching setup no?

How can you say that ? We are nearly into March and Gray has started 6 games this season ?? Maybe off the park but certainly not on it...

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2020, 08:42 PM

Hanlon has been very good for us recently. He is miles from being finished at Hibs never mind as a professional.

BILLYHIBS
06-03-2020, 08:58 PM
Need to get Gray and MacGregor up to speed

With the semi final coming up no point taking a Swiss Army Knife to a gun fight 😁

Centre Hawf
06-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Giving David the 4 year deal on the surface seems like an awful decision. The guys body is just not able to give us what we need at this point.

Smartie
06-03-2020, 09:16 PM
Giving David the 4 year deal on the surface seems like an awful decision. The guys body is just not able to give us what we need at this point.

We don't know the terms of that deal to judge.

Steven Whittaker's body is managing to give us plenty at the moment, albeit with a bit of careful management. Is there any reason why David Gray can't be the same?

I think it is ridiculously premature to write him off, even if his last performance for us wasn't a good one.

Centre Hawf
06-03-2020, 09:49 PM

Steven Whittaker's body is managing to give us plenty at the moment, albeit with a bit of careful management. Is there any reason why David Gray can't be the same?

I think it is ridiculously premature to write him off, even if his last performance for us wasn't a good one.

That's why I said on the surface it seems a disaster as at the moment all we can assume is we have him signed up, as a player, for another 3 years after this season. I'm sorry to say but if this is what we can expect for 3 more years it's a disaster.

Whittaker's body seems to need a prolonged rest between games judging by the gaps between his appearances at times, if we could even get that out of Sir David then that would be excellent. I'm sorry to say but there's more evidence in the "he's finished" column than the "he'll be back better than ever" one.

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2020, 10:26 PM
Hanlon has been very good for us recently. He is miles from being finished at Hibs never mind as a professional.

Correct, this talk of him being finished is bizarre.

B.H.F.C
07-03-2020, 12:08 AM

Why is it premature to write him off? He’s been largely unfit for the last couple of years. We are brutal defensively and he is nowhere to be seen. It’s only being classed as premature because of who he is IMO.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2020, 01:22 AM
Whitty’s legs gone ? Iirc from the stats oft the new GPS belts (albeit just one period) he was far from the worst performer .

As for Gray and McGregor - it people can’t see the value to the club beyond playing there little hope inconvincing them otherwise - maybe there’s no value to having people in the club that connect with the fans and “get” the club - yes let’s just throw away two of the players that helped reconnect the fans with the club (albeit there were others like SJM) unceremoniously throw them on the scrap heap like Berra - that’d make us no better than the Jambos.

“Freeing up a wage” looks at cost whilst ignoring value. Surely we’ve had our fill of “journey men” merely passing through picking up a wage? Or would we rather have rewritten Hibstory and has Matt Doherty, Soares and that Man City boy I forget to bring back the Holy Grail and disappear never to be seen again - but sure as damned it picked up their win bonus?

St.Kristopher
07-03-2020, 07:29 AM
While Gray and Mcgregor are not now first-team starters if everyone else is fit. If they themselves are fit they are really decent back up.

Hanlon and Stevenson are more than back up and still have more to give, they have both had more good games than bad of late. Not saying they are the long term solution but will Porto and Newell out can we really expect much better back up?

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:02 AM

What a load of nonsense

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-03-2020, 08:33 AM

Like wow 😯

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Like wow 😯

?

Undeniable really. Very solid since the break. Stinker vs Hearts doesn't change that

Brightside
07-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Like wow 😯

There is no wow about. Unless your eyes are painted on he remains one of the best CHs in the league. Have you watched recent displays from the old firm defenders?

Not In The Know
07-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Like wow 😯

Hanlon has been one half off every dodgy centre half pairing at Hibs over the last 8 odd years.
He’s also been one half of every decent centre half pairing we have had over the years.

Callum_62
07-03-2020, 09:33 AM
When was the last time gray was actually fit?

Seems to come back and be liable to get injured immediately again

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

jacomo
07-03-2020, 10:26 AM
That's why I said on the surface it seems a disaster as at the moment all we can assume is we have him signed up, as a player, for another 3 years after this season. I'm sorry to say but if this is what we can expect for 3 more years it's a disaster.

Whittaker's body seems to need a prolonged rest between games judging by the gaps between his appearances at times, if we could even get that out of Sir David then that would be excellent. I'm sorry to say but there's more evidence in the "he's finished" column than the "he'll be back better than ever" one.

SDG and Daz deals were announced as player / coach contracts, so it is clear that the club foresaw a transition from one to the other over the course of the four years.

Also a lot of folk wrote Whittaker off and said a 3 year deal was crazy, yet now a years extension looks very viable.

I hope SDG isn’t finished yet.

Centre Hawf
07-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Whitty’s legs gone ? Iirc from the stats oft the new GPS belts (albeit just one period) he was far from the worst performer .

As for Gray and McGregor - it people can’t see the value to the club beyond playing there little hope inconvincing them otherwise - maybe there’s no value to having people in the club that connect with the fans and “get” the club - yes let’s just throw away two of the players that helped reconnect the fans with the club (albeit there were others like SJM) unceremoniously throw them on the scrap heap like Berra - that’d make us no better than the Jambos.

“Freeing up a wage” looks at cost whilst ignoring value. Surely we’ve had our fill of “journey men” merely passing through picking up a wage? Or would we rather have rewritten Hibstory and has Matt Doherty, Soares and that Man City boy I forget to bring back the Holy Grail and disappear never to be seen again - but sure as damned it picked up their win bonus?

I don't think Whittakers legs are necessarily gone but his recovery time seem's to be longer, example being unable to play two games a week. But that's okay because he is getting older and managing their bodies is part of the game and why you have a squad of players.

I can see the value in having Gray and McGregor off the pitch, and actually I still think both have value on it when they are fit and playing. McGregor is fit but not getting into the squad at the moment but that's fine because I assume he knows the deal and isn't banging on Jack Ross' door raging he isn't playing, he'll keep himself fit and be ready to go when required because he's an experienced pro much like Whittaker has been.

The issue is David Gray hasn't been able to string a run of games together this season, the first of a new 4 year deal. This has required us to go out and sign an absolute plethora of right backs. One clearly is deemed not good enough, one now also injured for the rest of the season (is his loan even cancelled btw?), and we had to go get another on an 18 month deal. That's not counting Whittaker who made his career at right back.

SDG will be a Hibs legend regardless of when he leaves, not just for the cup final, but because he was a brilliant player for us and an excellent leader. But it's okay to say that his time is running out and his body looks like it's giving way. If anything this isn't the time to go get Matt Doherty's of this world like you mentioned but actually lets go find the next SDG.

Centre Hawf
07-03-2020, 10:32 AM
SDG and Daz deals were announced as player / coach contracts, so it is clear that the club foresaw a transition from one to the other over the course of the four years.

Also a lot of folk wrote Whittaker off and said a 3 year deal was crazy, yet now a years extension looks very viable.

I hope SDG isn’t finished yet.

They mentioned it being long term plans but it wasn't really mentioned that they were signed as Player/coaches. I'm sure there is a plan in place for them to transition from playing to coaching but it looks like it should be a shorter term ambition.

The Modfather
07-03-2020, 10:47 AM
There is no wow about. Unless your eyes are painted on he remains one of the best CHs in the league. Have you watched recent displays from the old firm defenders?

I’d like to hear your reasoning behind him being one of the best CH’s in the league given our defensive struggles the last couple of seasons and this season in particular. That’s not to say you can’t be an excellent defender in a poor team, I remember a few years running Russell Anderson almost single handedly keeping us at bay at Easter Road.

I think talk of Hanlon being one of the best in the league is almost as over top as saying he’s finished in profession football. He’s been a good servant, and may well be part of the new look defence in the mid term but I also think it’s fair that there are serious questions about whether he should be a 1st pick going forward.

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 10:50 AM
Could do with reintroducing him - we miss that character and leadership.

He was really poor the last time he played. I think he was hooked at half time.

CLASS OF 72 -73
07-03-2020, 11:06 AM

Harsh on Hanlon. Certainly not finished yet we take him for granted IMO.

Jones28
07-03-2020, 11:26 AM
He was really poor the last time he played. I think he was hooked at half time.

He was, there’s a reason we brought in a replacement right back.

I love DG but this season should see him move into coaching.

wookie70
07-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Agreed, Hanlon seems to make many forget weeks of solid performances if he has an off night or makes a mistake. Hanlon and Jackson look a decent pairing to me and McGinn does well as the right hand side of a 3 if we play that way. SDG, if he could get fit would make a decent RWB in that system but he never seems to be able to play for any length of time recently. I'd let him rest and recuperate until he has a chance of being fit for a decent period of time. I am a huge Lewis fan but he isn't playing as well and we need to get someone in to take or challenge that position in the summer.

MikeyS
07-03-2020, 12:02 PM

See when people say "free up a wage" when talking about wanting someone released, do they realise we still have to pay up contracts and the player very rarely just says aye sound I'll go for nowt!

PISTOL1875
07-03-2020, 12:14 PM
?

Undeniable really. Very solid since the break. Stinker vs Hearts doesn't change that

I take it we are just forgetting about his performances before the break then ??

PISTOL1875
07-03-2020, 12:19 PM
See when people say "free up a wage" when talking about wanting someone released, do they realise we still have to pay up contracts and the player very rarely just says aye sound I'll go for nowt!

Not if they retire.......................

h1bs4life
07-03-2020, 12:26 PM
A fit David Gray would be one of the first names on the teemsheet.
A big fan of his but sadly think he has had 1 to many injuries and can see him moving onto coaching roll next season.
We certainly miss not only his style of play but his leadership as a good old fashioned captain.
Hanlon with all his so called experience is never a captian , we have someone on loan from the huns who shouts , organises more than Hanlon.

Brightside
07-03-2020, 12:50 PM

The 4 year contract isn’t an exclusive playing contract.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 01:26 PM
I take it we are just forgetting about his performances before the break then ??

No but like his performances as a left back under Yogi, they aren't relevant to his current form. Been good recently and certainly not finished, not even close.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Paul Hanlon is ****ing 30 years old mate. He isn't retiring :faf:

07-03-2020, 04:36 PM

The 4 year contracts for SDG and Darren, i believe, was with the idea that we would maybe get a year or so out of them playing wise but then they will move into some sort of coaching role which I totally agree with as they are exactly the sort of guys you want around the club and helping to bring through youngsters etc.

Don't think anybody for a minute believed that either of them actually have 4 years of playing in them. I dont know about SDG as his injuries seem to be a bit unclear but I reckon Darren still cuts it. Thought he was solid at tynecastlke on boxing day and tbh I would have played him in the derby on tuesday. Just seems to be the sort of game suited to him, no nonsense defender who knows exactly what it means and will put his head on the line.

Whatever happens though, these guys hgave written their names into this great clubs history books :not worth

PISTOL1875
07-03-2020, 04:45 PM

I was reffering to David Gray/............

flash
07-03-2020, 04:47 PM

Just moving on hopefully.

mcfly
07-03-2020, 05:03 PM

He really hasn’t been good.

He’s part of a defence conceding goals week in week out.

We can and must get better than hanlon if we want to improve.

Worst decision was get rid of Bartley and having no defensive midfielder as our defence is awful

The Modfather
07-03-2020, 05:04 PM

Not sure if you missed my post on this thread earlier, but I’d genuinely like to hear your thoughts on why you rate him as one if the best CB’s in the league.

Given we have conceded 49 goals and have lost 26 points from winning positions (if a post on another thread is accurate), I struggle to make a positive case for any of our defenders this season or over the last couple of years. Far less have any of them amongst the best in the league.

NAE NOOKIE
07-03-2020, 05:09 PM
Gray is looking done as a player, he just doesn't seem capable of going more than two games without picking up yet another injury, which looks to be something we can't fix.

I'm worried about Ryan Porteous as well .... I sincerely hope this injury isn't going to recur all the time and seriously hamper his chance to become the player it looked like he could be.

We have a number of players closer to the end than the beginning like Gray, Stevenson, McGregor and Whittaker and nothing in the way of youngsters coming through to replace them, at least not ones we are all crying out should be given a chance because they look quality.

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 05:13 PM

Given we have conceded 49 goals and have lost 26 points from winning positions (if a post on another thread is accurate), I struggle to make a positive case for any of our defenders this season or over the last couple of years. Far less have any of them amongst the best in the league.

Our lack of ability to defend is there for all to see, and it's the first thing that needs to get sorted in the summer.

We're going to be very luck to finish in the top six this season and I can see Hearts humping us again in the semi-final.

We're just not good enough.

skyhibs
07-03-2020, 05:20 PM

Yes I agree..... time to replace a few old and passed it players

mcfly
07-03-2020, 05:22 PM

One of the best in the league ??

Your having a laugh mate.

We are conceding at least 2 goals a game and you think he’s one of the best?

Shouldn’t be in the team at all.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2020, 05:23 PM
Gray and Mcgregors deals look like giant mistakes. Nobody knows the terms of the deal but they are still on the playing side of the deal just now and so still being paid players wages despite the pair of them having this season off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
07-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Gray and Mcgregors deals look like giant mistakes. Nobody knows the terms of the deal but they are still on the playing side of the deal just now and so still being paid players wages despite the pair of them having this season off.

It sounds harsh but it is probably true.

In defence of the players, they both played well and often during the second half of last season so it wasn’t obvious that we’d get so little from them this season. It would have been ridiculously harsh not to offer the players the sort of contract they’d earned.

I’m finding it hard to justify not playing the pair of them next week. We’ve written off Gray after some injuries and a poor half against St Mirren and we appear to have written off McGregor after something similar. If they were both fit enough to be on the bench today, they should both be fit enough to start. If they’re both finished, I’d rather see some conclusive proof before writing them off as they might be exactly what we are lacking right now.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2020, 07:17 AM
He really hasn’t been good.

He’s part of a defence conceding goals week in week out.

We can and must get better than hanlon if we want to improve.

Worst decision was get rid of Bartley and having no defensive midfielder as our defence is awful

Hanlon has been very good recently. Binning Marv wasn't a bad decision, he wasn't playing and wasn't good enough to play. It's Mcginn we miss, not Marv.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 07:20 AM
One of the best in the league ??

Your having a laugh mate.

We are conceding at least 2 goals a game and you think he’s one of the best?

Shouldn’t be in the team at all.

Name the better CHs and I’ll point out all the mistakes they make.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 07:22 AM
Not sure if you missed my post on this thread earlier, but I’d genuinely like to hear your thoughts on why you rate him as one if the best CB’s in the league.

I didn’t see this earlier. I base my POV on the games I’ve watched this season. If we are going to sign a better CH for next season it won’t be from the Scottish leagues.

B.H.F.C
08-03-2020, 07:42 AM
I didn’t see this earlier. I base my POV on the games I’ve watched this season. If we are going to sign a better CH for next season it won’t be from the Scottish leagues.

The national team has a bit of a crisis at centre half, yet the guy currently captaining Hibs won’t be anywhere near the squad. Tells a bit of a story that.

Just the 49 goals we’ve lost this season and, whilst that’s obviously not all down to one man, you have to ask what the common factors are.

JimBHibees
08-03-2020, 07:42 AM
Name the better CHs and I’ll point out all the mistakes they make.

Julien Ajer McKenna Goldson Gallagher Guthrie off the top of my head.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2020, 07:49 AM

Fair enough that you rate Hanlon but what can’t be denied is that this defence is failing badly. Do you think that it’s all down to the full backs? The goalie? Hanlon is ok with the ball but physically he gets bullied far too often for me. There is nobody in Scotland that stands out as affordable and good enough for me so I think you are right, we will need to look further afield. One thing for sure though, we should never have got ourselves into the situation where we have 3 or 4 right centre backs and only one left centre back. Our new sporting director needs to have a look at himself there.
Hanlon should not be one of the ones paid off in the summer but he needs proper competition for his place. Right now, he’s untouchable because of the mental situation of a couple of non playing club legends taking up space on the squad. That needs to change.

Brightside
08-03-2020, 08:01 AM
Fair enough that you rate Hanlon but what can’t be denied is that this defence is failing badly. Do you think that it’s all down to the full backs? The goalie? Hanlon is ok with the ball but physically he gets bullied far too often for me. There is nobody in Scotland that stands out as affordable and good enough for me so I think you are right, we will need to look further afield. One thing for sure though, we should never have got ourselves into the situation where we have 3 or 4 right centre backs and only one left centre back. Our new sporting director needs to have a look at himself there.
Hanlon should not be one of the ones paid off in the summer but he needs proper competition for his place. Right now, he’s untouchable because of the mental situation of a couple of non playing club legends taking up space on the squad. That needs to change.

I think we defend badly as a team. We really don’t have ball winners in midfield. Loads of talent but no grunt. So the chat about us being soft I actually agree with. It’s not as simple as bringing in a new CH. there was a good article a few months back about the amount of chances created against us and it was one of the highest in the league. That doesn’t come from the goalie or the main defenders. We do not defend well as a team. Livingston players are nowhere near the level of talent we are. But they fight for each other and defend all over the pitch.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2020, 08:14 AM
I think we defend badly as a team. We really don’t have ball winners in midfield. Loads of talent but no grunt. So the chat about us being soft I actually agree with. It’s not as simple as bringing in a new CH. there was a good article a few months back about the amount of chances created against us and it was one of the highest in the league. That doesn’t come from the goalie or the main defenders. We do not defend well as a team. Livingston players are nowhere near the level of talent we are. But they fight for each other and defend all over the pitch.

I agree we need more strength in midfield but there is no way that defence doesn’t need surgery in the summer. Our goals against record is one of the worst in the league. And that’s under two different managers. That suggests that we need new players.
Yes the midfield needs it as well. Mathie and his team clearly don’t bother checking to see if a midfielder can tackle before recommending him. Maybe that stat isn’t on whatever football manager type database they are using there.
Four midfielder on the bench yesterday but Ross went with Whittaker, a 36 year old full back. That says it all about those 4 midfielders and they need emptied as well.

Hibees1973
08-03-2020, 03:39 PM
When I started this thread it was titled David Gray, but seems to have morphed to hammering Paul Hanlon.

However, this proves where Hibs are at just now. All across our back 3, 4 or 5, whatever our formation is, defensively we are all over the place. If everyone is fit, which is not going to happen, the best 5 defenders I feel we have at the club are Gray, MacGregor, Jackson, Porteous and Whittaker. Personally, Hanlon and Stevenson give me the fear. They are indecisive, Hanlon’s positioning is poor and Stevenson has been badly exposed by decent right sided players on too many occasions I care to remember.

Given that Porteous will not be fit and I am dropping McGinn, I hope we line up with Gray, MacGregor, Jackson and Whittaker as our back 4 for the remainder of the season......if fit.

Centre Hawf
08-03-2020, 03:43 PM
When I started this thread it was titled David Gray, but seems to have morphed to hammering Paul Hanlon.

However, this proves where Hibs are at just now. All across our back 3, 4 or 5, whatever our formation is, defensively we are all over the place. If everyone is fit, which is not going to happen, the best 5 defenders I feel we have at the club are Gray, MacGregor, Jackson, Porteous and Whittaker. Personally, Hanlon and Stevenson give me the fear. They are indecisive, Hanlon’s positioning is poor and Stevenson has been badly exposed by decent right sided players on too many occasions I care to remember.

Given that Porteous will not be fit and I am dropping McGinn, I hope we line up with Gray, MacGregor, Jackson and Whittaker as our back 4 for the remainder of the season......if fit.

Fair enough if you don't like Hanlon and Stevenson but you can't suggest that Lewis gets found out at full back then list Whittaker as the man to replace him. The man cannot get up and down the park like he used to and anyone with pace would be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of playing against him.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2020, 03:54 PM

Glad your not picking the team. That back line would get torn to shreds.[emoji23]

truehibernian
08-03-2020, 04:49 PM
We've conceded far too many goals and too many late goals too.

I'd try from now on to play an older formation than most would remember - 5-3-2 - with Gray at RB, Stevenson at LB, and McGinn (sweeper) , Jackson and Hanlon. Have real solidity at the back and have a midfield of Docherty, Allan and Slivka (if fit) or Newell (when fit). Boyle up top with Doidge, which means Boyle can drop back to a 5-4-1.

Either way we need to condense the space we are giving teams when they attack (as we counter quickly but fail to track back/runners/space) and this would give defensive strength in numbers. We play too open and rely on Boyle out wide too much, when he can actually be very dynamic through the middle, as some of his goals have shown (v Hearts and Aberdeen).

The Modfather
08-03-2020, 04:57 PM

You can’t excuse any part of the team from our defensive record and the number of goals we concede. If we were to flip it, what is it the keeper and defenders have done well?

We have a multitude of factors for our defensive struggles:

We don’t track runners particularly well
We don’t have enough bite or tackle in midfield without a proper defensive midfielder
We don’t defend set pieces well
We do an awful job at stopping crosses, particularly from our left
We don’t close players down quick enough
Our defenders have a tendency to switch off
Our keeper isn’t commanding and his kicking is as bad as I’ve seen

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2020, 05:01 PM

Hanlon has poor positioning but you want McGregor and Porteous, 2 players with worse positioning, to play instead?

MacGruber
10-03-2020, 11:45 AM

Whittaker is finished as a full back. Any game time he has left needs to be in the middle of the park. He also can't play week in week out never mind midweek games. He is playing pretty well just now but needs to be used sparingly and centrally. His head and technical ability and experience is still there - the pace isn't there anymore

The 90+2
10-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Whittaker is finished as a full back. Any game time he has left needs to be in the middle of the park. He also can't play week in week out never mind midweek games. He is playing pretty well just now but needs to be used sparingly and centrally. His head and technical ability and experience is still there - the pace isn't there anymore

Definitely. He will be on a much reduced wage next season in a play/coach capacity. I’ve heard he’s very good about the club and it’s vital we keep him on long term.