PDA

View Full Version : Dry Trains

givescotlandfreedom
06-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Alcohol is banned on all trains travelling from Aberdeen towards Edinburgh from 5pm tomorrow. Don't see any mention of a ban on the way up other than the usual 10am rule on ScotRail trains.
I wouldn't have minded a social couple on the way home.

Frazerbob
06-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Just be sensible and don’t walk on with a crate of beer. Subtlety is the key.

hibbyfraelibby
06-03-2020, 01:14 PM
How about joining AA if you find it impossible to travel to and from football without a bevvy.😉

Barman Stanton
06-03-2020, 01:17 PM
How about joining AA if you find it impossible to travel to and from football without a bevvy.😉

You dont need to have bevvy problems to like a wee drink travelling to the football with your mates.

Frazerbob
06-03-2020, 01:20 PM

I probably have a drink on average once every fortnight. I like a can or 2 on the train to the football.

vahibbie
06-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Good to see the Temperance Society is still alive and well:confused:

I don't think having a few beers on the train home requires a trip to an AA meeting.

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Don’t need the AA, pretty sure the train company has their own recovery arrangements in the event of a breakdown.

Silversand
06-03-2020, 01:37 PM
Last trip I had to Aberdeen, it was similar.

If you stick a can or two hidden in pockets, you'll likely get away with it. Folk with bags of booze were being stopped & told to ditch it.

The police were also on the train down as far as Fife, I seem to remember, so you have to be careful when drinking. If they see you drinking, they take it off you & ditch it at the next station.

Few of us were keeping it low key & it was fine.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
06-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Steady, Eddie. I was thinking a four pack over 2.5 hours and I don't drink before games because I need to pee constantly if I have a whiff of beer.
I work in the rail industry so not worth the potential grief of flouting the ban in my case so the post was really for others.

HFC93
06-03-2020, 01:51 PM

You get this type of the post every time drink at football gets discussed on here. Totally misses the point. As if having a beer on the train on the way to football makes you an alchy.

Hibee87
06-03-2020, 01:55 PM

I might be wrong, but I am guessing the inclusion of the winking face renders this post as purely tongue in cheek based on the usual chat when bevvy is mentioned on here. Im not falling for your bait as easily as others :wink:

Hermit Crab
06-03-2020, 02:03 PM
Alcohol is banned on all trains travelling from Aberdeen towards Edinburgh from 5pm tomorrow. Don't see any mention of a ban on the way up other than the usual 10am rule on ScotRail trains.

Yet no ban for Rugby fans....:rolleyes:

DarrenSQH
06-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Last time it was the same. We got the glasgow train to dundee and switched over there so we could have a few beers from aberdeen to dundee

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2020, 02:13 PM
You get this type of the post every time drink at football gets discussed on here. Totally misses the point. As if having a beer on the train on the way to football makes you an alchy.

He was only kiddin' mate :greengrin

But I could see why you would think he wasn't ... whenever you dare to suggest that a few drinks might be part of an enjoyable day out at the football, or sometimes in our case make it more bearable, the Hibs.Net temperance society turn up like Monty Python's Spanish inquisition ... their dry parties must be a hoot.

Or worse than them, the ones who do actually like a drink themselves, but stick on their holier than thou hats and tell you you shouldn't need a drink to enjoy the football.

Yorkshire HFC
06-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Just be sensible and don’t walk on with a crate of beer. Subtlety is the key.

Is that not breaking the law?

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Is that not breaking the law?

Call the police 🚨

Malthibby
06-03-2020, 03:41 PM
Last time I was going to an away game in Aberdeen & wanted a drink I fooled them by taking the train to Leeds.
GG

HibeeHibernian4
06-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Ridiculous and zero need for this ban to be in place.

Box 17
06-03-2020, 04:38 PM

Never mind the AA, true Hibbies should be joining Green Flag.

SquashedFrogg
06-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Last time I was going to an away game in Aberdeen & wanted a drink I fooled them by taking the train to Leeds.
GG

😂

SquashedFrogg
06-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Ridiculous and zero need for this ban to be in place.

I'm guessing there is. Hence the ban.

06-03-2020, 05:28 PM

Hahah ah yes a tautological argument. Your logic is flawless.

SquashedFrogg
06-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Hahah ah yes a tautological argument. Your logic is flawless.

I thank you kind sir.

And I'm 100% using 'tautological' at some point this evening. Beautiful choice of word.

Take a bow.

green with envy
06-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Fooled them by doing the return via Stirling.🍻

Bristolhibby
06-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Yet no ban for Rugby fans....:rolleyes:

Sunday trains to and from Murrayfield will be as wet as a mermaids purse.

J

chrisski33
06-03-2020, 06:40 PM
Sunday trains to and from Murrayfield will be as wet as a mermaids purse.

J

Pretty sure there is a alcohol ban too for rugby fans now.
Sadly its usually one or two eejits who spoil it for those who behave when drunk.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2020, 07:42 PM

Where are you reading this?

I'm getting the train tomorrow although i'm going to Stirling so not sure if that will affect me. I am going via Haymarket on the way up though so it would be good to find out if they're planning on banning drink on the way up, although I know you've said there's no mention of that so far.

hibbyfraelibby
06-03-2020, 08:12 PM
I might be wrong, but I am guessing the inclusion of the winking face renders this post as purely tongue in cheek based on the usual chat when bevvy is mentioned on here. Im not falling for your bait as easily as others :wink:

😁

givescotlandfreedom
06-03-2020, 08:17 PM
Where are you reading this?

I'm getting the train tomorrow although i'm going to Stirling so not sure if that will affect me. I am going via Haymarket on the way up though so it would be good to find out if they're planning on banning drink on the way up, although I know you've said there's no mention of that so far.
I went up today and noticed it on a station poster in Dundee.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2020, 08:26 PM
I went up today and noticed it on a station poster in Dundee.

Ok cheers.

I can't see anything on their website or on their Facebook or Twitter pages. It would be good if they gave people prior notice, it's not really fair if someone has bought a few drinks for the journey and gets it confiscated before they reach the Forth Rail Bridge.

I've just realised that my train up in the morning is on LNER so I doubt if any Scotrail ban will apply to me.

givescotlandfreedom
06-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Ok cheers.

I can't see anything on their website or on their Facebook or Twitter pages. It would be good if they gave people prior notice, it's not really fair if someone has bought a few drinks for the journey and gets it confiscated before they reach the Forth Rail Bridge.

I've just realised that my train up in the morning is on LNER so I doubt if any Scotrail ban will apply to me.
I used to work doing barrier checks at Waverley and the BT Police were confiscating alcohol from jambos when Hearts were playing at Aberdeen. Train pulls in and they realised it didn't apply to that train (maybe GNER at the time) and the ban didn't apply - too late by then 😂

green with envy
06-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Ok cheers.

You'll be fine.

Hibhibhooray
06-03-2020, 09:05 PM

it’s a small minority who spoil it for the majority... so the train companies just don’t allow it... it’s the same down south for games... Transport police advise the train company based on historically evidence

IberianHibernian
06-03-2020, 09:36 PM
Not sure if folk complaining about dry trains would be hoping to buy booze on train ( for Scottish League probably only relevant for East coast trains as I suppose no booze is sold on regular trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow for example ) or to take booze on board .

Carheenlea
07-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Train cans are one of life’s great pleasures.

One does the job for Glasgow, three for Dundee, 4 for Aberdeen and 6 for Inverness/Dingwall.

BoomtownHibees
07-03-2020, 12:08 PM

One does the job for Glasgow, three for Dundee, 4 for Aberdeen and 6 for Inverness/Dingwall.

One for Glasgow? Lightweight

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 12:37 PM

You can cope with Glasgow with only one can of beer?

I'm impressed!

😉

Jpdhfc
07-03-2020, 12:53 PM
You think they would ban drinking in pubs as there seems to be a lot off trouble in them😂

Carheenlea
07-03-2020, 12:56 PM
One for Glasgow? Lightweight

Usually find one is not quite enough, but two is too many for the short trip. Depends on the size of can I suppose, but those were just my average train can stats.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Police just stopped us to ask what train we were on.

Because I was on the train to Stirling it was fine but would they have had any legal right to confiscate alcohol if we had been going to Edinburgh?

I understand the train is "dry" but if we had unopened alcohol where do you stand legally on a "dry" train as it seems as if the police were ready to confiscate it if we had said we were going to Edinburgh?

BoomtownHibees
07-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Police just stopped us to ask what train we were on.

Because I was on the train to Stirling it was fine but would they have had any legal right to confiscate alcohol if we had been going to Edinburgh?

I understand the train is "dry" but if we had unopened alcohol where do you stand legally on a "dry" train as it seems as if the police were ready to confiscate it if we had said we were going to Edinburgh?

Just got pulled with drink and the copper told us it was a by-law so was illegal. Took “some” of ours off us

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Just got pulled with drink and the copper told us it was a by-law so was illegal. Took “some” of ours off us

I accept I may be wrong but I don't see what right they have to confiscate drink just because you're carrying it unopened.

Liam6270
07-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Haha I bet you’re the life and soul of a party

DH1875
07-03-2020, 06:35 PM
I accept I may be wrong but I don't see what right they have to confiscate drink just because you're carrying it unopened.

What if you were on your way do for a birthday party or an evening invite to a wedding and you had alcohol as part of a gift?

overdrive
07-03-2020, 06:39 PM
What if you were on your way do for a birthday party or an evening invite to a wedding and you had alcohol as part of a gift?

I was told off by a ScotRail conductor a few weeks ago for having an unopened bottle of wine in the side pouch of my backpack after the normal alcohol curfew. I was on my way to my girlfriend’s house.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2020, 08:39 PM

Scotrail state that the carrying of alcohol on dry trains is prohibited whether you open it or not

07-03-2020, 08:41 PM
We’re boozing on train back as we speak.

givescotlandfreedom
07-03-2020, 08:44 PM
There were checks going onto the 18.18 from Aberdeen today but it still looked like the morning after a flat party when we got to Waverley.
Had to chuckle at a fan praising his mate's lovely orange juice.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Scotrail state that the carrying of alcohol on dry trains is prohibited whether you open it or not

That seems extremely harsh.

Glory Lurker
07-03-2020, 10:22 PM
That seems extremely harsh.

In fairness, it's their trains.

Hermit Crab
07-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Police pulled us heading for he 20:11 Aberdeen to Edinburgh train. They said technically its a dry train but please be discreet gents. Very sensible policing. There was no trouble just plenty laughs. Had a great journey home. Respect from both sides.

Clarence
07-03-2020, 11:00 PM

Or just move to Libby as there’s no decent boozer / restaurant for miles 😉

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 06:50 AM
In fairness, it's their trains.

It is although I really do not see the problem with carrying unopened alcohol. A "dry" train to me means that alcohol is not served and passengers are not allowed to consume their own alcohol whilst onboard. It does not mean that you are banned from even bringing it onboard to take home with you.

I have travelled with Jet2 several times and they do not serve alcohol before a certain time on any of their flights and you are never allowed to consume your own alcohol but there is nothing to stop you from taking it onto the flight in your hand luggage, which I would say is far more appropriate.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-03-2020, 06:58 AM
Police pulled us heading for he 20:11 Aberdeen to Edinburgh train. They said technically its a dry train but please be discreet gents. Very sensible policing. There was no trouble just plenty laughs. Had a great journey home. Respect from both sides.

99/100 that's the way I've found it to be handled, a wee bit common sense/decency from both sides usually works wonders.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2020, 07:43 AM
99/100 that's the way I've found it to be handled, a wee bit common sense/decency from both sides usually works wonders.

It must have been different officers to the ones who stopped us. I'm fairly certain the drink would have been taken off us had we been going to Edinburgh, even although none of it had been opened.

HibeeHibernian4
08-03-2020, 08:56 AM
If theyre not going to bring back the old football specials from back in the day is there a case to be made for having a football carriage or two on a train? Somewhere where us miscreants can converge and have a drink or two without upsetting the public. :greengrin

DH1875
08-03-2020, 09:39 AM
It is although I really do not see the problem with carrying unopened alcohol. A "dry" train to me means that alcohol is not served and passengers are not allowed to consume their own alcohol whilst onboard. It does not mean that you are banned from even bringing it onboard to take home with you.

I have travelled with Jet2 several times and they do not serve alcohol before a certain time on any of their flights and you are never allowed to consume your own alcohol but there is nothing to stop you from taking it onto the flight in your hand luggage, which I would say is far more appropriate.

Unless you buy it in duty free your not getting much alcohol in your hand luggage.

ABZHFC
08-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Actually had this happen to me a few seasons ago when we played Dundee away on a Friday night. It was my mate's birthday up in Aberdeen afterwards, so I rushed to the shop, got some bevvy before the 10pm curfew, only to get to the station and be told emphatically by the police that I would not be allowed to take it on the train. After a few minutes of persuading them, even showing my ticket to prove I was going to Aberdeen and not Edinburgh, they eventually gave in. Treated like children in this country, really is ridiculous

Keith_M
08-03-2020, 09:45 AM
If theyre not going to bring back the old football specials from back in the day is there a case to be made for having a football carriage or two on a train? Somewhere where us miscreants can converge and have a drink or two without upsetting the public. :greengrin

TBH, it's all a bit of a joke when you travel in the evenings or weekends and see groups of women sitting boozing away, some of them being just as loud and obnoxious as any drunk football fan.

I think they should have special carriages on the trains as well

DH1875
08-03-2020, 09:46 AM
TBH, it's all a bit of a joke when you travel in the evenings or weekends and see groups of women sitting boozing away, some of them being just as loud and obnoxious as any drunk football fan.

I think they should have special carriages on the trains as well

Hen parties are the worst. Should be banned lol.

green with envy
08-03-2020, 03:49 PM

Why would you need to join the AA if travelling by train?

Phil MaGlass
09-03-2020, 09:18 AM
Unless you buy it in duty free your not getting much alcohol in your hand luggage.

If you fly from Rotterdam you can now take fluids in your bag not bought in duty free, new scanners.
Now we cant get ripped off for the prices of bottled water at the airport

givescotlandfreedom
09-03-2020, 01:38 PM
If you fly from Rotterdam you can now take fluids in your bag not bought in duty free, new scanners.
Now we cant get ripped off for the prices of bottled water at the airport

Good stuff. They aren't fussed about liquids in Tel Aviv airport, the security capital of the world which makes the think the liquids thing is probably nonsense.