PDA

View Full Version : Kids at Hampden

Tommy75
05-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Thinking of taking my 3 year old to Hampden this time round. Does anybody have experience of taking wee ones through? She has been to ER twice and enjoyed it but I appreciate Hampden will be a different experience.

Irish_Steve
05-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Yep, get her used to that feeling of heading to Hampden with dread in your stomach

danhibees1875
05-03-2020, 10:05 PM
3 seems far too young for Hampden against Hearts... Good luck! :aok:

Mainstandman
06-03-2020, 06:58 AM
will be fine i'd sit in the south stand though, they'll see nothing from behind the goals

Jones28
06-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Hampden in a derby is too soon mate.

bingo70
06-03-2020, 07:37 AM
Only advice I could give would be to avoid the family section.

Really annoying but people don’t sit down there so they won’t see a thing. Complete waste of time taking my boy to the Celtic semi a few months back. Said at the time next time we go we’d need to bite the bullet and pay extra for the posh seats.

Helensburghhibs
06-03-2020, 08:48 AM
They will love it. As above avoid the cheap seats as they seem to attract hassle. Pay a wee bit more and go in the south

Carheenlea
06-03-2020, 08:55 AM
I’d say 3 is too young for a Hampden trip, but you’ll know yourself if it feels the right thing to do and one that you’d both enjoy. I’ve got two girls myself, 8 & 5, but neither that keen yet to take them to Hampden, or a derby.

As others have said, South probably best best and facilities within the concourse there more comfortable and safer for a young child.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 09:27 AM
South stand, no problem. Anywhere else, I'd think twice.

Danderhall Hibs
06-03-2020, 10:16 AM
This thread doesn’t reflect well on our support.

“Don’t take your kids to the “family” section cos there’ll be loads of pissed up daftys that’ll cause aggro”

Ozyhibby
06-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Been taking my boy since he was three and never had any bother. Go for it. So long as they don’t get board and enjoy themselves it’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
06-03-2020, 10:24 AM

“Don’t take your kids to the “family” section cos there’ll be loads of pissed up daftys that’ll cause aggro”

That’s exactly why there should be provision made for a family section at Hampden. There is no family section, just cheaper seats behind goals and standard seats north and south.

Danderhall Hibs
06-03-2020, 10:27 AM
That’s exactly why there should be provision made for a family section at Hampden. There is no family section, just cheaper seats behind goals and standard seats north and south.

The cheaper seats make it more attractive to families. But in the absence of it being made officially a family section wouldn’t it be great if folk could consider others?

DH1875
06-03-2020, 10:27 AM

The problem stems from folk thinking the east stand at Hampden is the family section. It's not and as far I know has never been marketed as such. As mentioned earlier in thread; the rangers and celtic put their singing sections in the east/West when playing at Hampden. Their not family sections.

bingo70
06-03-2020, 10:30 AM

Correct.

I hated the fact that I became one of those people asking people to sit down at big games but if you’re in the ‘family section’ anywhere close to the back of the stand your kids simply won’t see anything.

I had a right bee in my bonnet after the last time there but decided there’s no point getting humpty about it, just need to pay a bit extra to sit in the good seats next time.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Again, where is the family section? Don't see anywhere being sold or marketed as the family section.
Maybe the club could set aside a few sections of section G or something like that but as far as I know, they dont.

Danderhall Hibs
06-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Again, where is the family section? Don't see anywhere being sold or marketed as the family section.
Maybe the club could set aside a few sections of section G or something like that but as far as I know, they dont.

It’s not official - the cheap seats is generally assumed to be family section.

Either way it shouldn’t mean cos you’re not in a family section you can be a selfish ********.

bingo70
06-03-2020, 11:15 AM
It’s not official - the cheap seats is generally assumed to be family section.

Either way it shouldn’t mean cos you’re not in a family section you can be a selfish ********.

Has that always been the case with no family section?

I’m sure there has been occasions before the cheap seats behind the goals were designated family sections?

That Celtic game was the first time I took my boy to hampden though so every chance I’m wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
06-03-2020, 11:42 AM

I’m sure there has been occasions before the cheap seats behind the goals were designated family sections?

That Celtic game was the first time I took my boy to hampden though so every chance I’m wrong.

I thought there was as well but couldn’t say for definite - no mention this time though. :dunno:

RoYO!
06-03-2020, 11:51 AM
I've seen far more aggro at hampden than I've ever seen at ER. People have been out drinking all day/ potentially the night before and it means more to them than a 'normal' game. I'd avoid but each to their own.

Keith_M
06-03-2020, 12:31 PM

It reflects quite accurately.

I took three young kids to the last Semi against Celtc and,

- They couldn't see the pitch because the people in front refused to sit down
- They spent a lot of the game open-mouthed at the morons that were screaming foul mouthed abuse at each other and the Celtc Fans, plus the Dad of two kids behind us that was trying to smash the seat in front.

I asked them if they wanted to go back and the oldest one said yes but the other two said no.

In some warped people's minds, that will make them 'snowflakes', I suppose.

Jones28
06-03-2020, 12:35 PM

- They couldn't see the pitch because the people in front refused to sit down, and
- They spent a lot of the game open-mouthed at the morons that were screaming foul mouthed abuse at each other and the Celtc Fans, plus the Dad of two kids behind us that was trying to smash the seat in front.

I asked them if they wanted to go back and the oldest one said yes but the other two said no.

Hampden brings out the real throbbers in our support. I’ve had issues the last couple of times I’ve been to Hampden. I had the audacity to try and stop a coked up teenager from launching a bamboo flagpole down the stand in the Falkirk semi - he managed to throw it and it hit a young boy on the back of the head. I asked a man who was standing where I was meant to be sitting (after I’d got up to let him through) to move and got abuse and offers of square goes from all his pals.

But yeah, derby day. Great.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 12:59 PM
In my 27 years following Hibs (I'm 40 now) the only punch up and any trouble I've had through football was with other Hibs fans. At times it has put me off going but have always ended up coming back. My crime.....I have a weegie accent. Can already see it if we play Celtic in the final.

hibbyfraelibby
06-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Thinking of taking my 3 year old to Hampden this time round. Does anybody have experience of taking wee ones through? She has been to ER twice and enjoyed it but I appreciate Hampden will be a different experience.

I think posting your intention on here is a good way of alerting Social Work about a child at risk...😉

Renfrew_Hibby
06-03-2020, 01:19 PM
In my 27 years following Hibs (I'm 40 now) the only punch up and any trouble I've had through football was with other Hibs fans. At times it has put me off going but have always ended up coming back. My crime.....I have a weegie accent. Can already see it if we play Celtic in the final.

I hear you. I'm 41 and West Coast born and bred. I've always toned my accent when at games as even as a teenager I would get scornful glances even getting a pie from the stall at the back of the old cowshed.

Such a shame as I would love Hibs, even Hearts, to expand their appeal beyond Edinburgh, lothians, borders and Fife ect.
Wearing a Hibs top in Ayrshire in the 1990s when I was a teenager would always attract the wrong sort of attention or just stop people in their tracks and bring ridicule galore.
I would imagine that the experience of a young Celtic or Rangers fan growing up in Pilton or Oxgangs would be nothing like my own experiences. Why? It would just be seen to be a normal thing.
So why couldnt it have been a normal thing for me through in the west?
Yes old firm fans are from a different planet but over the decades they have positioned themselves as 'nationwide' clubs. The media has helped but for me, Hibs and Hearts have been too Edinburgh/East centric.
Yes be proud of your roots, history and location but we've never really looked to push beyond the east, to actively engage with new areas and communities. This has stalled our potential.

bigwheel
06-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Jeezo...sad to hear that - the narrow minds of some people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2020, 02:30 PM
Only advice I could give would be to avoid the family section.

Really annoying but people don’t sit down there so they won’t see a thing. Complete waste of time taking my boy to the Celtic semi a few months back. Said at the time next time we go we’d need to bite the bullet and pay extra for the posh seats.

Are you kiddin' .... our support was so pish that day you could have moved to a part of the stand with about 5 rows of totally empty seats in front of you, I know, i was in that stand.

As for the OP ...... In spite of the fact that I piss myself laughing at the impression some folk give that Hibs at Hampden is invariably a scene from the last days of Rome or Sodom and Gomorrah with the streets being used as sick buckets and toilets and 70% of our support just looking for an excuse to fight with each other the minute they get inside I would say that this game probably isn't the best choice for a 3 year olds first experience of the national stadium :greengrin

Alan62
06-03-2020, 03:56 PM
Having brought two boys up as keen supporters (now adult season ticket holders and have been for many years), I'm not sure Hampden is the right trip for a three year old who has been twice to Easter Road. I'd be inclined to continue to encourage her to get used to Easter Road and the whole football experience.

A Hampden trip adds a lot of hours to the day as well as being a fairly dreadful stadium and a much larger crowd. Plus, there's the derby dimension which can be toxic.

Great to hear the bairn is interested in the Hibs though. Keep up the good work.

Broken Gnome
06-03-2020, 04:26 PM
I can't go unless I have a two year old in tow.

The common sense displayed in this thread has been fairly devastating to me.

lord bunberry
06-03-2020, 04:39 PM
Just avoid the East stand and you’ll be fine, it’s full of people who either want to sit or stand. I was in there for the final and I had people moaning at me to sit down all game despite the fact that the people in front of me were standing up. The south stand is your best bet.

Nakedmanoncrack
06-03-2020, 04:47 PM

I think you'll know the answer, knowing your child, I've had both my boys at games from a very young age, though not at Hampden, though despite the impression some might give - Its not a war zone.

Bristolhibby
06-03-2020, 05:54 PM
I’m taking my 11 and 9 year olds to their first Hibs game at Hampden.

They are absolutely bouncing. Can’t wait myself.

Just hope to **** we get to the final.

J

tamig
06-03-2020, 06:03 PM
The cheaper seats make it more attractive to families. But in the absence of it being made officially a family section wouldn’t it be great if folk could consider others?

It would be handy but good luck with that.

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 06:26 PM

When we played Aberdeen in the Semi, Livi in the Semi, Celtic and Livi in finals I’m positive it was definitely family sections.

ABZHFC
06-03-2020, 06:28 PM
I think, again, the problems could be solved better by treating football fans like adults. No alcohol being sold in the stands means people get ridiculously tanked up beforehand (which is a real nuisance to be next to), and then they flash up messages on the big screen warning fans against persistent standing (like that will ever work). Make the north and east the bit where people stand for 90 minutes, south for elderly/family groups, and you'd be fine. Problem is it's just a complete mish mash right now

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 06:32 PM

- They couldn't see the pitch because the people in front refused to sit down

If you’ve been to watch Hibs in a semi or final it shouldn’t really have came as a surprise. It’s a domino effect, the boy in front is usually standing because the person in front of them is also. I’ve offered to swap seats with people who have complained I’m standing before as I can’t see a thing unless I’m standing up. What’s the solution? Sit down and miss the game because someone is standing up in front because the person in front of them is too?

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 06:33 PM
I think, again, the problems could be solved better by treating football fans like adults. No alcohol being sold in the stands means people get ridiculously tanked up beforehand (which is a real nuisance to be next to), and then they flash up messages on the big screen warning fans against persistent standing (like that will ever work). Make the north and east the bit where people stand for 90 minutes, south for elderly/family groups, and you'd be fine. Problem is it's just a complete mish mash right now

I thought that was generally the rule anyway and why people paid extra to go in the south.

TimeForHeroes16
06-03-2020, 06:40 PM
My son is now 6 his first game at Hampden was against Aberdeen in the Scottish under Lennon.

Fantastic little occasion for him he was just about to turn 4 the journeys not to far and the buzz gets them going. A derby slightly different but I’m no way should you feel you can’t take him because of the team we are playing

Keith_M
06-03-2020, 07:35 PM
Are you kiddin' .... our support was so pish that day you could have moved to a part of the stand with about 5 rows of totally empty seats in front of you, I know, i was in that stand.

Aye, very good. We moved twice and still had nutters round us and people standing up blocking the view of the kids

Keith_M
06-03-2020, 07:42 PM
If you’ve been to watch Hibs in a semi or final it shouldn’t really have came as a surprise. It’s a domino effect, the boy in front is usually standing because the person in front of them is also. I’ve offered to swap seats with people who have complained I’m standing before as I can’t see a thing unless I’m standing up. What’s the solution? Sit down and miss the game because someone is standing up in front because the person in front of them is too?

People not being so ignorant and actually showing consideration to other people by actually sitting down in a seated area?

When all seated stadia were first introduced, this wasn't a problem. It's only in the last decade or so that people have insisted on standing en-masse at games.

If they could re-introduce terracing in parts of stadiums, that would probably be ideal and seating could be strictly enforced in seating areas.

p.s. this isn't a dig at you, because I genuinely believe you wouldn't block people's view on purpose, if you could avoid it, the same as lots of other folk forced into standing.

ABZHFC
06-03-2020, 07:58 PM
I thought that was generally the rule anyway and why people paid extra to go in the south.

You’d think but sadly at semi finals I’ve found myself been stood in front of people who are insistent the entire North Stand should be sitting down 🙄

SquashedFrogg
06-03-2020, 08:04 PM

I genuinely get the arguement about people trying to sit and being blocked. I do.

But 90+2 you are correct with your point.

NAE NOOKIE
07-03-2020, 01:31 AM
Aye, very good. We moved twice and still had nutters round us and people standing up blocking the view of the kids

Fair play mate ... What I should have said was kudos for being there at all, because so many of our so called fans weren't :aok:

Antifa Hibs
07-03-2020, 07:18 AM
It's a tough one.

Sitting ruins the enjoyment of some, standing ruins it for others. A common sense solution would be to have preferred sections but this i Scottish football we're talking about. Enforce sitting in the south stand and maybe a dedicated family block. The rest is fair game to stand IMO.

It's pissing me off at ER too. My seat about 5 rows back from the top of S43 and some fanny's decided to move in behind me this season and insist i sit down. We've stood there for about the last 7 seasons!

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2020, 08:05 AM
It's a tough one.

Sitting ruins the enjoyment of some, standing ruins it for others. A common sense solution would be to have preferred sections but this i Scottish football we're talking about. Enforce sitting in the south stand and maybe a dedicated family block. The rest is fair game to stand IMO.

It's pissing me off at ER too. My seat about 5 rows back from the top of S43 and some fanny's decided to move in behind me this season and insist i sit down. We've stood there for about the last 7 seasons!

Labelling someone a fanny because they decided to buy a ST that guarantees them a seat in an all seated stadium, only to find that when they arrived someone is standing up in front of them blocking their view!
The real fannies are the authorities that have allowed you and thousands of others to stand in what are supposed to be all seated stadiums.

WeAreHibs
07-03-2020, 08:22 AM
I'm in the "too soon" camp.

You won't enjoy it either way!

Keith_M
07-03-2020, 08:28 AM
I'm in the "too soon" camp.

You won't enjoy it either way!

Yeah, I think three years old is a bit young.

I took my daughter to Easter Road for her first game when she was five and I think she enjoyed that. I think my son was about six when he first went.

Probably best to take your kid to the Family Section at ER, as I don't think they have Family areas at Hampden any more (they definitely used to, but they weren't very well organised)

hibee
07-03-2020, 10:22 AM
I’d avoid the cheap seats and pay extra for the South, we’ve had a couple of horrible experiences with drunk angry people when behind the goals with young kids, would never go back there again.

On the other hand, the South upper was an enjoyable experience although it cost more for me and the kids!