PDA

View Full Version : I love being an afterthought.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Hibs v Hearts

Started work an hour early ( in the job I've taken so I can afford to go to the football ) in order make ER a wee bit earlier and enjoy a shandy in the black hole of Calcutta that is Tamsons before a derby. Took the 40 mile journey to Leith. Left Tamsons and got to the stadium 10 minutes before kick off. Missed 10 minutes of the game because it was on TV and in spite of thousands still being outside through no fault of their own the TV schedule comes first so the game kicked off at 7:45.

Scottish cup semi final.

Will have to be out of my bed at the very latest 7am in order to catch a Borders based supporters bus, if there is one, because there wasn't for the Celtic semi and I had to get two trains and a taxi just to get to Hampden. If that happens again I'll have to be up at around 6am just to have a chance of making Hampden. With a 12:15 kick off the chance of a few pints and a pre match sing song, a big part of any Hampden trip, at least for this fan, will be severely curtailed spoiling a big part of the day for me.

The whole day will probably leave me little change out of £150 if trains are involved. And yet with all that commitment which probably still isn't as bad as the bother and expense some others on both sides will be going to to make this game the kick off is at stupid o'clock just to suit the TV schedule with absolutely no thought for the folk who can actually be arsed to physically support our bloody game and how it will impact their enjoyment of the day. Just as there was no thought given to the thousands still outside of the stadium at 7:45 on Tuesday night.

Somebody once said "football without fans is nothing"

In the opinion of this fan that has become "football, ..... where the fans mean nothing"

HibeeHibernian4
05-03-2020, 11:50 AM
I’m not trying to be facetious but I’ve just looked up the trains for that Saturday from Tweedbank (last stop on the Borders railway) to Glasgow. The 08:32 with a change at Edinburgh would get you into Glasgow Queen Street for 10:31 and costs £24 for a single.

I know the 12:15 kick off time isn’t ideal, and you might not live very close to the Borders line, so forgive me if I’m being presumptuous, but that doesn’t seem exactly like mission impossible.

Carheenlea
05-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Hibs v Hearts

Started work an hour early ( in the job I've taken so I can afford to go to the football ) in order make ER a wee bit earlier and enjoy a shandy in the black hole of Calcutta that is Tamsons before a derby. Took the 40 mile journey to Leith. Left Tamsons and got to the stadium 10 minutes before kick off. Missed 10 minutes of the game because it was on TV and in spite of thousands still being outside through no fault of their own the TV schedule comes first so the game kicked off at 7:45.

Scottish cup semi final.

Will have to be out of my bed at the very latest 7am in order to catch a Borders based supporters bus, if there is one, because there wasn't for the Celtic semi and I had to get two trains and a taxi just to get to Hampden. If that happens again I'll have to be up at around 6am just to have a chance of making Hampden. With a 12:15 kick off the chance of a few pints and a pre match sing song, a big part of any Hampden trip, at least for this fan, will be severely curtailed spoiling a big part of the day for me.

The whole day will probably leave me little change out of £150 if trains are involved. And yet with all that commitment which probably still isn't as bad as the bother and expense some others on both sides will be going to to make this game the kick off is at stupid o'clock just to suit the TV schedule with absolutely no thought for the folk who can actually be arsed to physically support our bloody game and how it will impact their enjoyment of the day. Just as there was no thought given to the thousands still outside of the stadium at 7:45 on Tuesday night.

In the opinion of this fan that has become "football, ..... where the fans mean nothing"

Your party is welcome to travel with us on our bus from Peebles. Obviously got to get up there first which presents a similar problem, but there are plenty seats available at present.

Cataplana
05-03-2020, 12:03 PM
There must be somebody you can write to about this.

Peevemor
05-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Your party is welcome to travel with us on our bus from Peebles. Obviously got to get up there first which presents a similar problem, but there are plenty seats available at present.

Peebles & Gala holding hands? Whatever next? :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 12:05 PM
I’m not trying to be facetious but I’ve just looked up the trains for that Saturday from Tweedbank (last stop on the Borders railway) to Glasgow. The 08:32 with a change at Edinburgh would get you into Glasgow Queen Street for 10:31 and costs £24 for a single.

I know the 12:15 kick off time isn’t ideal, and you might not live very close to the Borders line, so forgive me if I’m being presumptuous, but that doesn’t seem exactly like mission impossible.

Its not mission impossible ... its just a gigantic pain in the arse which wouldn't be required if the game kicked off at a normal time, even 2pm would be relatively acceptable. And none of that addresses failing to delay the kick off on Tuesday with thousands of paying punters still outside the ground.

Bostonhibby
05-03-2020, 12:08 PM
Peebles & Gala holding hands? Whatever next? :greengrinHalf and half scarves?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Box 17
05-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Hibs v Hearts

Scottish cup semi final.

You could always make a request to the SFA asking them to delay the kick off until you've finished your pint. I'm sure the rest of us who arrive at the ground in time won't mind waiting.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 12:13 PM

That would be a blast from the past for me mate. When I first started going to games I lived in Innerleithen and all the lads I went with to ER and away games were from Peebles ... happy days :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 12:18 PM
You could always make a request to the SFA asking them to delay the kick off until you've finished your pint. I'm sure the rest of us who arrive at the ground in time won't mind waiting.:greengrin

I often think what it must be like to be a German football fan, magnificent packed stadiums, free local travel with some season tickets, most stadiums having that packed end section creating atmosphere and colour .... It must be brilliant.

But most of all a country full of united fans who aren't prepared to shove on the gimp suit and take it up the rectum from the TV folk or the games blazers. The suck it up and dae what yer telt attitude that is gonna be prevalent in many responses to this thread is just sad.

Box 17
05-03-2020, 12:25 PM
I often think what it must be like to be a German football fan, magnificent packed stadiums, free local travel with some season tickets, most stadiums having that packed end section creating atmosphere and colour .... It must be brilliant.

But most of all a country full of united fans who aren't prepared to shove on the gimp suit and take it up the rectum from the TV folk or the games blazers. The suck it up and dae what yer telt attitude that is gonna be prevalent in many responses to this thread is just sad.

To be fair, I was being slightly flippant in my response, however we have to accept that without the TV money we wouldn't have the standard of product we do now, ie it would be even worse. Spare a thought for the likes of Newcastle and Southampton fans who regularly have the inconvenience of long trips for midday matches. The price they have to pay for having 'the best league in the world.'

Carheenlea
05-03-2020, 12:27 PM
That would be a blast from the past for me mate. When I first started going to games I lived in Innerleithen and all the lads I went with to ER and away games were from Peebles ... happy days :greengrin

I’m sure I’ll know them all!

There are three lads from Selkirk coming on Peebles bus but they are travelling up to catch bus as it departs from Innerleithen 8.30am. Looking to book into a club in Glasgow, so the option there to consider at least, even if it still is far from ideal.

Carheenlea
05-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Half and half scarves?

Are you familiar with the Gala colours? Not happening..

Bostonhibby
05-03-2020, 01:08 PM
Are you familiar with the Gala colours? Not happening..I know more about it than you think[emoji6]

One of my Hibs acquaintances of the late 70's early 80's lived in Eddleston, Innerleithen was a disliked local rival back in the day[emoji16].

Greenbeard
05-03-2020, 01:26 PM
Someone from Innerleithen recently told me what a PC is. And it isn't Police Constable. P is for Peebles and you can guess what the C stands for. Four letters. Consonant, vowel, consonant, consonant.

McD
05-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Its not mission impossible ... its just a gigantic pain in the arse which wouldn't be required if the game kicked off at a normal time, even 2pm would be relatively acceptable. And none of that addresses failing to delay the kick off on Tuesday with thousands of paying punters still outside the ground.

I hear your pain mate. Tuesday night was pretty crap for you.

in regards to the semi final, it has to kick off that early as no tv company is allowed to show live football on a Saturday after 3pm, government stipulation. Extra time and penalties have to be accounted for as well. Doesn’t help your situation, just gives some context about why the decision has been made this way 😔

SaulGoodman
05-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Someone from Innerleithen recently told me what a PC is. And it isn't Police Constable. P is for Peebles and you can guess what the C stands for. Four letters. Consonant, vowel, consonant, consonant.

Card?

Sudds_1
05-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Peebles & Gala holding hands? Whatever next? :greengrin

Next you'll be telling us they've cancelled the ba' coz it's too dangerous 😄

Keith_M
05-03-2020, 02:12 PM

They also have to endure body searches (have done for years) but, because most Germans Fans arrive at the stadium ages before the game starts, almost everybody gets in on time.

There's a minority of people that genuinely can't get to games earlier in Scotland (I'm often one of them) and the reason it takes so long for them to get in is because so many Fans decide to arrive at the stadium a few minutes before the game starts.

Also German Fans, on the whole, don't wait to be entertained before they make an atmosphere but actively try to get behind the team; win, lose or draw.

As you say, a different culture.

Irish_Steve
05-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Hibs v Hearts

Scottish cup semi final.

Forget the alcohol and drive, it can be done surprisingly enough

Mcpakeisgod
05-03-2020, 08:15 PM

😂😂😂😂😂

macca70
05-03-2020, 08:26 PM
They also have to endure body searches (have done for years) but, because most Germans Fans arrive at the stadium ages before the game starts, almost everybody gets in on time.

There's a minority of people that genuinely can't get to games earlier in Scotland (I'm often one of them) and the reason it takes so long for them to get in is because so many Fans decide to arrive at the stadium a few minutes before the game starts.

Also German Fans, on the whole, don't wait to be entertained before they make an atmosphere but actively try to get behind the team; win, lose or draw.

As you say, a different culture.

Probably due to fact you can get a beer in the ground at German games so folk will get in early and have a beer in the stadium. Whereas in Scotland, you can’t get a beer in the stadium so folk stay in the pubs til the very last minute before heading to the game then surprised when there’s massive queues.

HibeeHibernian4
05-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Probably due to fact you can get a beer in the ground at German games so folk will get in early and have a beer in the stadium. Whereas in Scotland, you can’t get a beer in the stadium so folk stay in the pubs til the very last minute before heading to the game then surprised when there’s massive queues.

I do agree with this but there is also a cultural difference that allowing beers inside a Scottish stadium probably wouldn't change too much.

Speedy
05-03-2020, 08:50 PM

It's not really reasonable to delay the game. Paying punters have already got there on time and may miss the end of the game if it's delayed.

The biggest culprit imo is Hibs (and other clubs) for having a pretty poor entry system in place. And obviously the fans arriving at the instructed time would help as well.

offshorehibby
05-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Hibs v Hearts

Scottish cup semi final.

The black hole of Calcutta that is Tamsons was absolutely rammed on Tuesday, don't think i've sen it so busy far to many young team in.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Are you familiar with the Gala colours? Not happening..

:agree:

At least the fitba club play in red & black :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 09:47 PM
The black hole of Calcutta that is Tamsons was absolutely rammed on Tuesday, don't think i've sen it so busy far to many young team in.

Its the same before any derby or Sevco game. It would be fine just about if the 'young team' would stay put, the wee buggers were in and out in and out for the hour we were there. The police were in a couple of times and in all honesty I'm amazed they didn't ask the landlord to stop entry, you literally couldn't move your arms ...... we decided on Tuesday to find an alternative for big matches, though we do like the auld fashioned spit n' sawdust feel of the pub.

offshorehibby
05-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Its the same before any derby or Sevco game. It would be fine just about if the 'young team' would stay put, the wee buggers were in and out in and out for the hour we were there. The police were in a couple of times and in all honesty I'm amazed they didn't ask the landlord to stop entry, you literally couldn't move your arms ...... we decided on Tuesday to find an alternative for big matches, though we do like the auld fashioned spit n' sawdust feel of the pub.

Yip, was there with the Mrs, it's our local anyway.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 09:57 PM
It's not really reasonable to delay the game. Paying punters have already got there on time and may miss the end of the game if it's delayed.

The biggest culprit imo is Hibs (and other clubs) for having a pretty poor entry system in place. And obviously the fans arriving at the instructed time would help as well.

We were there on time, 10 minutes before kick off is usually plenty of time at Easter Road even for big games. If I got there with 5 minutes to spare I would have no complaints if I missed a few minutes at the start .... but this was a case of literally thousands still outside the ground, many of whom had arrived well before we did. I get the point about folk possibly having to leave early, which is a fair one. But if clubs are to place themselves at the mercy of the TV companies the least they could do is ensure the entry system works properly ... this has been an issue at ER all season and its not the first time I've missed the kick off because of it, starting with the Newcastle friendly, a game I arrived at ER for well on time for the tiny size of the crowd and yet I still missed Hibs goal.

As for fans arriving at the instructed time, lets be realistic when has that ever happened in any numbers at any football ground in Scotland .. we do not and never have had a culture of filling the ground well before kick off.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 10:08 PM
I hear your pain mate. Tuesday night was pretty crap for you.

in regards to the semi final, it has to kick off that early as no tv company is allowed to show live football on a Saturday after 3pm, government stipulation. Extra time and penalties have to be accounted for as well. Doesn’t help your situation, just gives some context about why the decision has been made this way 😔

Saturday 4th January 2020 live BT sport Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United ... kick off 5:15pm

Saturday 25th January 2020 live BT sport Hull City v Chelsea ... kick off 5:30pm

Oh and ... Saturday 2nd November 2019 live BT sport .. Hibernian v Celtic ... kick off 5:30

DC_Hibs
06-03-2020, 05:09 AM

Most of your points have been covered totally. Get there earlier, change the last must have bevvy to a half pint, travel to Tweedbank or even Peebles, laws dont allow games to be shown between the 3pm and 5pm window so even 1pm rules out a semi with possibility of ET and pens. Early evening kick off for fans of two Edinburgh teams to get on the sauce in Glasgow all day......we all know the answer to that one.

I've done German football home and away for 5 years and go back multiple times each season. That's involved early morning starts for Bremen and Hamburg that would cause you a breakdown. That was nothing compared to the near midnight departure for the supporters bus to Rostock.

They would likely laugh at the moans for a trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow for a 1230 kick off. Aberdeen would too, never mind Carlisle or Plymouth.

German games are all live on TV and doesnt stop full houses for their agreed days of Friday to Monday. Monday night was the norm in the second tier for bigger clubs challenging for the title. Two days off needed to watch them clinch the league in Aachen. Similar for Dresden away on a Monday.

I've been in many a queue outside away ends despite arriving early due to the more thorough security searches there. I know to avoid going to the gates for home games even 15 minutes before as it will mean a missed kick off. Thousands prefer to bevvy outside like you, rather than take the stadium beer at inflated prices in plastic cups with a deposit.

That's reality as I hear too often how brilliant it is and the ten euro tickets blah blah. 30-40 euros the norm for away and standing tickets completely sold out to seasons.
Still happy to pay that though.

Springbank
06-03-2020, 05:44 AM
Hibs v Hearts

Scottish cup semi final.

I've no time for this patter

It's less than 2 hours away by road and rail - most countries would describe that as "local"

Atalanta had to travel this distance for their "home" champions league game & literally half the population of Bergamo made the journey for it

Time to get behind the team

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2020, 06:18 AM

It's less than 2 hours away by road and rail - most countries would describe that as "local"

Atalanta had to travel this distance for their "home" champions league game & literally half the population of Bergamo made the journey for it

We do seem to have a support who put excuses in for almost every eventuality that will occur. Games like this don't come around very often, we have a chance to get to a final again, who remembers the last final we made?

It makes no difference where you live, you choose to live there. FFS, grow a pair and get yourselves along to Hampden, and enjoy a game we as football fans live for.

You do know the worst thing that can happen is we lose, if you can't put up with that, then supporting Hibs is not really for you.

We will win. :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
06-03-2020, 06:21 AM
We do seem to have a support who put excuses in for almost every eventuality that will occur. Games like this don't come around very often, we have a chance to get to a final again, who remembers the last final we made?

It makes no difference where you live, you choose to live there. FFS, grow a pair and get yourselves along to Hampden, and enjoy a game we as football fans live for.

You do know the worst thing that can happen is we lose, if you can't put up with that, then supporting Hibs is not really for you.

We will win. :thumbsup:

Good post these are the games we live for in football.

hibsquaker
06-03-2020, 06:49 AM
Yes, those that can will go regardless. However we should not just accept it. 12:15 is appalling. We should make our feelings known. Not just us but across all of Scottish football. If there is a group that represents all Scottish Premier League supporters we need to press them to at least make some noise about it. Just like the 20's plenty banner we (as in all supporters) need to highlight this. It's not acceptable.

lyonhibs
06-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Most of your points have been covered totally. Get there earlier, change the last must have bevvy to a half pint, travel to Tweedbank or even Peebles, laws dont allow games to be shown between the 3pm and 5pm window so even 1pm rules out a semi with possibility of ET and pens. Early evening kick off for fans of two Edinburgh teams to get on the sauce in Glasgow all day......we all know the answer to that one.

I've done German football home and away for 5 years and go back multiple times each season. That's involved early morning starts for Bremen and Hamburg that would cause you a breakdown. That was nothing compared to the near midnight departure for the supporters bus to Rostock.

They would likely laugh at the moans for a trip from Edinburgh to Glasgow for a 1230 kick off. Aberdeen would too, never mind Carlisle or Plymouth.

German games are all live on TV and doesnt stop full houses for their agreed days of Friday to Monday. Monday night was the norm in the second tier for bigger clubs challenging for the title. Two days off needed to watch them clinch the league in Aachen. Similar for Dresden away on a Monday.

I've been in many a queue outside away ends despite arriving early due to the more thorough security searches there. I know to avoid going to the gates for home games even 15 minutes before as it will mean a missed kick off. Thousands prefer to bevvy outside like you, rather than take the stadium beer at inflated prices in plastic cups with a deposit.

That's reality as I hear too often how brilliant it is and the ten euro tickets blah blah. 30-40 euros the norm for away and standing tickets completely sold out to seasons.
Still happy to pay that though.

Now now, the Bundesliga is the promised land of fan experience and dirt cheap tickets for all etc etc etc. :greengrin

Weegreenman
06-03-2020, 07:32 AM
Hibs v Hearts

Scottish cup semi final.

This is why you should support your local team. Glory Hunter 😂😂😂

B.H.F.C
06-03-2020, 07:44 AM
Yes, those that can will go regardless. However we should not just accept it. 12:15 is appalling. We should make our feelings known. Not just us but across all of Scottish football. If there is a group that represents all Scottish Premier League supporters we need to press them to at least make some noise about it. Just like the 20's plenty banner we (as in all supporters) need to highlight this. It's not acceptable.

It is acceptable because we take the TV money. There isn’t a league in the world where kick off times aren’t staggered. In fact, it’s far worse in most countries and supporters, generally, have a lot further to travel as well.

It’s not really a hassle for a game of this magnitude.

Antifa Hibs
06-03-2020, 08:16 AM
The biggest problem I have with Scottish football and television is no set kick-off times.

This season Scottish football games have kicked off at:
-Friday 7.45pm
-Saturday 12.30pm
-Saturday 3.00pm
-Saturday 5.30pm
-Satuday 7.20pm
-Sunday 12.00pm
-Sunday 12.15pm
-Sunday 12.30pm
-Sunday 1.30pm
-Sunday 3.00pm
-Sunday 4.30pm

That's a ridiculous amount of slots. Give the TV companies 3 slots to choose from at the start of the TV deal and if it clashes with another televised event so ****. Make them pick their league games 12 weeks in advance. Cup fixtures and top 6/bottom 6 have them confirm there selections 48hrs after the draw. We (supporters of Scottish football teams) give clubs FAR FAR more money than TV firms yet give Sky/BT/BBC/Premier every single ounce of power.

TBH we deserve all we get. This **** has been going on for decades and we simply take it. Look at the German fans with their Monday night games, protests, boycotts, delaying kick-offs, banners. All curvas/ultras unified in defeating DE Sky and German FA. And they won. Frankfurt managed to get 8000 to boycott last week with their entire end empty and this was AFTER the authorities confirmed that was the last of the Monday night games. Us on the other hand.... moan on the internet then turn up anyway.

Antifa Hibs
06-03-2020, 08:23 AM
Now now, the Bundesliga is the promised land of fan experience and dirt cheap tickets for all etc etc etc. :greengrin

Compared to other top flight leagues it really is TBH. Obviously not without its own problems.

Henderson2Del
06-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Is it really the kick off time that’s the problem though? Or is it that people can’t go to the game without going for a pre match drink? There is time for drinking after?

Box 17
06-03-2020, 09:15 AM
The biggest problem I have with Scottish football and television is no set kick-off times.

This season Scottish football games have kicked off at:
-Friday 7.45pm
-Saturday 12.30pm
-Saturday 3.00pm
-Saturday 5.30pm
-Satuday 7.20pm
-Sunday 12.00pm
-Sunday 12.15pm
-Sunday 12.30pm
-Sunday 1.30pm
-Sunday 3.00pm
-Sunday 4.30pm

That's a ridiculous amount of slots. Give the TV companies 3 slots to choose from at the start of the TV deal and if it clashes with another televised event so ****. Make them pick their league games 12 weeks in advance. Cup fixtures and top 6/bottom 6 have them confirm there selections 48hrs after the draw. We (supporters of Scottish football teams) give clubs FAR FAR more money than TV firms yet give Sky/BT/BBC/Premier every single ounce of power.

TBH we deserve all we get. This **** has been going on for decades and we simply take it. Look at the German fans with their Monday night games, protests, boycotts, delaying kick-offs, banners. All curvas/ultras unified in defeating DE Sky and German FA. And they won. Frankfurt managed to get 8000 to boycott last week with their entire end empty and this was AFTER the authorities confirmed that was the last of the Monday night games. Us on the other hand.... moan on the internet then turn up anyway.

But we're not talking about Monday night games here. Most of our games are played on a Saturday and occasionally our fixtures get moved to earlier on a Saturday or a Sunday game. In this instance it's a once in a season (hopefully it happens every season) big game which has been moved to facilitate TV.

Not everyone is complaining about the 12.15 kick off, in fact for many it will suit. For those that are inconvenienced by getting up earlier and not being able to consume as much pre-match drink then there is always the option of staying at home and watching on TV with a carry-out.

Antifa Hibs
06-03-2020, 09:24 AM
Is it really the kick off time that’s the problem though? Or is it that people can’t go to the game without going for a pre match drink? There is time for drinking after?

To be fair the social clubs were part of the Hampden day ot. Some cracking memories from them.

But we're not talking about Monday night games here. Most of our games are played on a Saturday and occasionally our fixtures get moved to earlier on a Saturday or a Sunday game. In this instance it's a once in a season (hopefully it happens every season) big game which has been moved to facilitate TV.

Not everyone is complaining about the 12.15 kick off, in fact for many it will suit. For those that are inconvenienced by getting up earlier and not being able to consume as much pre-match drink then there is always the option of staying at home and watching on TV with a carry-out.

I've not missed a single game this season. Televised or not. Still doesn't stop me being pissed off at the power the TV companies have. Home to Celtic start of April. 4 weeks to go and they've shifted it. The game was always going to be televised so why not move it 8-12 weeks before. Am i pissed off with 4 weeks notice i'm now going to have to leave Glasgow 9.30am after a hotel/night out - Yes. Will i still be at ER - Yes. Sky/BT/Premier can still GTF though. As a collective unit we give far more to our clubs than the TV companies. If it was the other way about we couldn't complain as much but its not. So **** them.

pollution
06-03-2020, 11:16 AM
In Spain some games start at 9pm.

Imagine getting local transport home at 11pm!

Peevemor
06-03-2020, 11:27 AM
In Spain some games start at 9pm.

Imagine getting local transport home at 11pm!

In France the majority of matches are 9pm Saturday night.

Jones28
06-03-2020, 12:28 PM
To be fair the social clubs were part of the Hampden day ot. Some cracking memories from them.

I've not missed a single game this season. Televised or not. Still doesn't stop me being pissed off at the power the TV companies have. Home to Celtic start of April. 4 weeks to go and they've shifted it. The game was always going to be televised so why not move it 8-12 weeks before. Am i pissed off with 4 weeks notice i'm now going to have to leave Glasgow 9.30am after a hotel/night out - Yes. Will i still be at ER - Yes. Sky/BT/Premier can still GTF though. As a collective unit we give far more to our clubs than the TV companies. If it was the other way about we couldn't complain as much but its not. So **** them.

I don’t agree with the idea that tv companies should have 3 slots to pick from, because they’d tell you to ram it and there goes the prize money.

What I don’t understand is why, at the start of the season when the fixtures come out, can’t the TV companies select the games they show?

It basically goes

Old firm game
Celtic/Rangers away priority
Edinburgh derby
Hibs/hearts/Aberdeen playing away from home
BBC Scotland get the championship.

Why can’t they announce things at the start of the season? It’s not a mystery.

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2020, 01:43 PM

Jeezo .... Didn't anybody get the theme of this thread from my original post.

I am not in the slightest bit bothered about the distance or in all honesty the cost ... I've travelled all over the UK to watch Hibs without a second thought and spent far more than I will for Hampden doing it. Even my wee rant with German football as an example was about how their fans have protested about TV kick off times and seem pretty united over the issue from what I've read on here and elsewhere, the other stuff about their game was just a preamble to my main point.

My whole issue with a 12:15 kick off to suit TV is that it dilutes the whole day as an experience. A cup semi final or final day should be an event for fans, not just turn up pay up and shut up. If that doesn't matter to folk as individual fans that's fine, but for thousands of us a couple of hours in the boozer with our mates enjoying the camaraderie and a sing song pre match is a big part of the day .... if that's not true why are the boozers around ER and Hampden when we are there all rammed for the couple of hours before kick off ... people like to enjoy that as part of the football experience.

With a 12:15 KO by the time you have found a boozer managed to get served and adding in when you have to leave to make kick off you will be lucky to get 45 minutes of pre match 'atmosphere' .... its all a rush about and it kills what for many of us is as I said part of the event.

As for 'time to get behind the team' ..... I think the effort I made to get to the Celtic LC semi should be indicative of the fact that that isn't a problem for me, no matter where the game is or what the kick of time I'll be there regardless :aok:

kaimendhibs
07-03-2020, 02:35 AM

As you say, a different culture.I love going to see Union Berlin. Brilliant experience

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
07-03-2020, 02:47 AM

Not everyone is complaining about the 12.15 kick off, in fact for many it will suit. For those that are inconvenienced by getting up earlier and not being able to consume as much pre-match drink then there is always the option of staying at home and watching on TV with a carry-out.Im a home and away season ticket holder. I finish work at 1247 on the 11th. Im screwed

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

McD
07-03-2020, 06:34 AM
Saturday 4th January 2020 live BT sport Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United ... kick off 5:15pm

Saturday 25th January 2020 live BT sport Hull City v Chelsea ... kick off 5:30pm

Oh and ... Saturday 2nd November 2019 live BT sport .. Hibernian v Celtic ... kick off 5:30

sorry, my badly worded explanation - between 3pm and 5:15 no British tv company is allowed to show live football, from anywhere.

you are correct that we could have scheduled the semi final for a kick off at 5:15/5:30 but I doubt the police would be happy to let 50k drink all day, then have the vast majority of them travelling back from Glasgow in that state after a tense and heated match

Since90+2
07-03-2020, 06:47 AM
Jeezo .... Didn't anybody get the theme of this thread from my original post.

I am not in the slightest bit bothered about the distance or in all honesty the cost ... I've travelled all over the UK to watch Hibs without a second thought and spent far more than I will for Hampden doing it. Even my wee rant with German football as an example was about how their fans have protested about TV kick off times and seem pretty united over the issue from what I've read on here and elsewhere, the other stuff about their game was just a preamble to my main point.

My whole issue with a 12:15 kick off to suit TV is that it dilutes the whole day as an experience. A cup semi final or final day should be an event for fans, not just turn up pay up and shut up. If that doesn't matter to folk as individual fans that's fine, but for thousands of us a couple of hours in the boozer with our mates enjoying the camaraderie and a sing song pre match is a big part of the day .... if that's not true why are the boozers around ER and Hampden when we are there all rammed for the couple of hours before kick off ... people like to enjoy that as part of the football experience.

With a 12:15 KO by the time you have found a boozer managed to get served and adding in when you have to leave to make kick off you will be lucky to get 45 minutes of pre match 'atmosphere' .... its all a rush about and it kills what for many of us is as I said part of the event.

As for 'time to get behind the team' ..... I think the effort I made to get to the Celtic LC semi should be indicative of the fact that that isn't a problem for me, no matter where the game is or what the kick of time I'll be there regardless :aok:

Completely agree. It's one of the reasons the 6 Nations is one of the most successful sports tournaments in the world , kick off times are always planned so that fans can have time for a pre and post match experience.

Carheenlea
07-03-2020, 10:58 AM
I know more about it than you think[emoji6]

One of my Hibs acquaintances of the late 70's early 80's lived in Eddleston, Innerleithen was a disliked local rival back in the day[emoji16].

Eddelston? Did your acquaintance go by the initials CM? The only other Eddleston Hibby I know from back then went by name of MW.

Bostonhibby
07-03-2020, 11:06 AM
GP.

He had one of the old chalet places over the road from the Horsehoe (?) pub as well, Edinburgh resident since the late eighties.

Seems a lifetime ago now, probably because it was!

Lago
07-03-2020, 11:07 AM
I feel your pain, but from my experience the manipulation of kick off times has now become a standard practice, remember Sunday 6.15 pm I think it was, it's not going to change. As to Tues why were so many outside at kick off, ongoing turnstile problems, that's down to Hibs to sort out, fans turning up at the last minute because they just had to have that last pint because we've still got 20 mins. I don't know all the ins and outs but many problems are fixable with a little thought.