PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Straiton

Captain Trips
05-03-2020, 08:46 AM
I am a west coast Hibbie but one afternoon I was in peebles and on way back from there we stopped at the Asda in Straiton which brought that move the club were thinking about to my mind. In relation to that Asda and retail park were was the stadium to go if the move had happened which I assume were not there at time?

Keith_M
05-03-2020, 08:49 AM
I am a west coast Hibbie but one afternoon I was in peebles and on way back from there we stopped at the Asda in Straiton which brought that move the club were thinking about to my mind. In relation to that Asda and retail park were was the stadium to go if the move had happened which I assume were not there at time?

When you come off the bypass, after the second roundabout, the field on the right hand side

Captain Trips
05-03-2020, 08:54 AM
When you come off the bypass, after the second roundabout, the field on the right hand side

Cheers, heading to Peebles again to collect a car so will have a look.

Keith_M
05-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Cheers, heading to Peebles again to collect a car so will have a look.

Im sure there's still a plan of it online somewhere.

IL hav a look at my work if I'm bored 😉

Jones28
05-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Im sure there's still a plan of it online somewhere.

IL hav a look at my work if I'm bored 😉

That would be cool to see actually.

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Not great quality, but you get the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFijrAd9-s

Scorrie
05-03-2020, 09:31 AM
That would have been a shocking move imho

Peevemor
05-03-2020, 09:32 AM

Yep. Horrible.

Captain Trips
05-03-2020, 09:39 AM

The comment by Crombe most of our fans are from their. Was that true at time or now? I dont really know any other Hibbies but that surprised me.

tamig
05-03-2020, 09:45 AM
The comment by Crombe most of our fans are from their. Was that true at time or now? I dont really know any other Hibbies but that surprised me.

No he said Straiton was in the south and east of the city - which is where most of the fan base is from. I think its fair to say most are from the east.

Since452
05-03-2020, 09:47 AM
The thought of Hibs not playing in Leith is a very strange one.

mcohibs
05-03-2020, 09:53 AM

Certainly a big number of hibbies in the surrounding towns - Penicuik, Loanhead, Bonnyrigg, Gracemount, Gilmerton all closer to Straiton than Easter Road.

Peevemor
05-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Stating the obvious but the location of our stadium is a huge part of the magic of supporting Hibs. Even visiting fans love it.

A move (and I can understand the reasons) would have been a cultural disaster.

Seveno
05-03-2020, 10:06 AM
The big advantage was the financial side. Tom Farmer was going to build it for us for free and we would have generated more income through the hospitality facilities.

Personally, it would have suited me geographically but ER is our home and always my preference.

Peevemor
05-03-2020, 10:10 AM
The big advantage was the financial side. Tom Farmer was going to build it for us for free and we would have generated more income through the hospitality facilities.

Personally, it would have suited me geographically but ER is our home and always my preference.

At the same time he would have (rightly) pocketed the proceeds from the sale of Easter Road.

superfurryhibby
05-03-2020, 10:33 AM
At the same time he would have (rightly) pocketed the proceeds from the sale of Easter Road.

His company must surely have benefitted from the proceeds of the sale of the land at Straiton too?

Barman Stanton
05-03-2020, 10:37 AM
This would have been a disaster. Imagine how low the crowds would be during the darker periods.

superfurryhibby
05-03-2020, 10:40 AM
This would have been a disaster. Imagine how low the crowds would be during the darker periods.

Some credit must go to the Hands on Hibs guys for this. There is a back story there. The club was pretty committed to making it happen, fan pressure helped ensure it didn’t.

Barman Stanton
05-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Some credit must go to the Hands on Hibs guys for this. There is a back story there. The club was pretty committed to making it happen, fan pressure helped ensure it didn’t.

Oh definitely. Wasnt all that far after Hand off Hibs as well. We have our support to thank for a lot during these periods.

superfurryhibby
05-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Oh definitely. Wasnt all that far after Hand off Hibs as well. We have our support to thank for a lot during these periods.

Memory is a bit hazy, but the Hands on Hibs group arose from the mid 90’s, Opposition to Straiton was on the agenda. There were a series of articles published in Scotland on Sunday which “ exposed” some aspects of how STF was running Hibs. They were quite damning. The situation fizzled out, no legal action was taken, but there were changes to the structure of the club, IirC reuniting the team and ownership of the Stadium was part of the resolution.

Greenbeard
05-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Looking at what we have now and retaining the strong community feel and Leith DNA, moving would have led "straight on" to disaster for the club.

pollution
05-03-2020, 11:33 AM
The Straiton idea was secondary to the Mercer plot to merge Hibs with Hearts with a stadium slightly east of Millerhill, which did not happen of course.

In the early 90's it was all the rage to talk of out of town grounds but overall it was pie in the sky.

Thank goodness!

Box 17
05-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Just think, had it happened we could have had the Ikea end and the away supporters would get the Burger King end.

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Just think, had it happened we could have had the Ikea end and the away supporters would get the Burger King end.

Build it and they will come, but you need to understand the instructions and have all the right parts first. :greengrin

Keith_M
05-03-2020, 01:57 PM
Build it and they will come, but you need to understand the instructions and have all the right parts first. :greengrin

:greengrin

p.s. Thanks for finding that video. Saved me looking

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 02:16 PM
:greengrin

p.s. Thanks for finding that video. Saved me looking

No worries, I have plenty time on my hands :greengrin

Greenbeard
05-03-2020, 03:25 PM
No worries, I have plenty time on my hands :greengrin
Are you currently suspended for standing on someone at work?

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Are you currently suspended for standing on someone at work?

Only thing I've stood on is the paving I've been laying. See retirement, it's awfy busy.

Greenbeard
05-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Only thing I've stood on is the paving I've been laying. See retirement, it's awfy busy.
A tip. It helps if you put a layer of shonk down then stomp it down hard. A shonk layer.

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 04:48 PM
A tip. It helps if you put a layer of shonk down then stomp it down hard. A shonk layer.

I really wish I hadn't looked that up. 😂

Greenbeard
05-03-2020, 06:08 PM
I really wish I hadn't looked that up. 😂
Aye, Mark McNulty gave me that tip. Can't believe you looked it up! :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2020, 12:37 AM
If we ever do move it should be to a spanking new 25,000 capacity stadium smack bang in the middle o' Leith Links .... How good would that be :greengrin

Iggy Pope
06-03-2020, 05:25 PM
The Straiton idea was secondary to the Mercer plot to merge Hibs with Hearts with a stadium slightly east of Millerhill, which did not happen of course.

In the early 90's it was all the rage to talk of out of town grounds but overall it was pie in the sky.

Thank goodness!

Dougie Cromb isn’t the revered figure a lot make him out to be either. I remember him as the Chairman who referred to Easter Road as a ‘grand old lady’ that we had to leave behind and falling out with most of the support he had referred to as ‘morons’.

Since452
06-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Imagine the world being deprived of Sunshine on Leith after big wins. Moving there would have ripped the soul out of the club