PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere last night

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Even for the first 50 minutes at 0-0, it was pish. Well and truly not good enough. It needs sorted, urgently. When we won five derbies in a row at home to Hearts (and they barely even scored during that run), Easter Road was bouncing from the first whistle. Last night, no one seemed to want to know.

We’ve now not won against Hearts, Rangers or Celtic at home when they’ve had the whole Dunbar End in almost 2 years (beating Celtic 2-1 in April 2018 was the last time). We need to radically change Easter Road’s layout and stop handing this advantage to our opponents in big games.

Of course, why we lost last night is not purely down to atmosphere whatsoever, but there is a worrying trend that we, as fans, no longer seem to be able to get ourselves up for big games, never mind the players

Anthony Soprano
04-03-2020, 10:16 AM
Even for the first 50 minutes at 0-0, it was pish. Well and truly not good enough. It needs sorted, urgently. When we won five derbies in a row at home to Hearts (and they barely even scored during that run), Easter Road was bouncing from the first whistle. Last night, no one seemed to want to know.

We’ve now not won against Hearts, Rangers or Celtic at home when they’ve had the whole Dunbar End in almost 2 years (beating Celtic 2-1 in April 2018 was the last time). We need to radically change Easter Road’s layout and stop handing this advantage to our opponents in big games.

Of course, why we lost last night is not purely down to atmosphere whatsoever, but there is a worrying trend that we, as fans, no longer seem to be able to get ourselves up for big games, never mind the players

That's down to taking the singing section out the East, where they should be.
Nah we'll stick them in FF upper where nobody can hear them:thumbsup:

Proof is in the pudding, like night and day against Inverness when moved down closer to the pitch and 100% had a positive affect on the players.

Not saying we would've won the game but surely having it where folk can hear it would make a difference

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 10:17 AM

What do you suggest?

JimBHibees
04-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Didn't help the huge queues outside the ground meaning many didn't get in until after kick off. Thought the ticket system has been fixed. Last 2 or 3 games don't think season ticket has worked once. Shambles.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 10:18 AM
Didn't help the huge queues outside the ground meaning many didn't get in until after kick off. Thought the ticket system has been fixed. Last 2 or 3 games don't think season ticket has worked once. Shambles.

I thought that was down to police searches rather than the ticket/entry system.

Jones28
04-03-2020, 10:19 AM

We got to the ground with 10 minutes to go until kick off and the queues outside the east were ridiculous.

JimBHibees

Was it? Not where I was in FF.

ABZHFC
What do you suggest?

Either the singing section goes back to the top of 43 and the club stop *****ing themselves over issues like pyro (which they did in the first place), or we accept that having the singing section in the Famous Five Lower is not only preferable but actually necessary for games like that. We had a better atmosphere in the first five minutes of the second half against Caley than we did for the first five minutes of the second half last night

tonyrougier123
04-03-2020, 10:22 AM
We got to the ground with 10 minutes to go until kick off and the queues outside the east were ridiculous.

That's no helping the atmosphere imo.
The turnstiles are a joke at the moment,stadium is still settling down 15minites after kick off.
Should be bouncing at the start,it's more relief the feeling when you get to your seat these days man.😡

danhibees1875
04-03-2020, 10:23 AM

That certainly didn't help matters in the East, but the queues behind the FF were longer than usual and I don't think they got searched.

Behind the East was ridiculous before the game.

I'm not sure the scanners are at fault though - they work fine. You wait until it tells you to put your card in, put your card in, then go when it says Go.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Either the singing section goes back to the top of 43 and the club stop *****ing themselves over issues like pyro (which they did in the first place), or we accept that having the singing section in the Famous Five Lower is not only preferable but actually necessary for games like that. We had a better atmosphere in the first five minutes of the second half against Caley than we did for the first five minutes of the second half last night

Where was the singing section for the natural order derby?

I'm not saying that the singing section is in the right/best place, but in the "big" matches if the team's playing well the atmosphere improves.

If the team plays crap, like last night, the atmosphere is flat.

This has been the case since before singing sections were even a thing.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 10:25 AM

I'm just going by comments made on here.

People were complaining about police searches causing queues.

Jones28
04-03-2020, 10:26 AM

It was in the East. Everyone getting patted down/checked.

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 10:28 AM

I'm not saying that the singing section is in the right/best place, but in the "big" matches if the team's playing well the atmosphere improves.

But my point is, since April 2018, we have not once beaten any of those sides at home (apart from when we cut Celtic’s allocation in December 2018). They have a full Dunbar End, rocking, standing, singing behind the goals. Hearts didn’t play fantastically first half, they were perhaps better but it wasn’t an inspiring, rousing performance from them. Why don’t we look to try and replicate an away atmosphere at home games? Aberdeen are doing it from next season with their Red Shed initiative, why are we so insistent on the status quo? That clearly is not working for us

emerald green
04-03-2020, 10:29 AM
The relationship and interaction between the team on the pitch and the supporters in the stands is a two-way thing. It's the same at every club.

The team on the pitch last night gave the supporters nothing. Sweet f*** all. It became very obvious to me last night how things were panning out, especially at the start of the second half.

I wish I knew what Ross said to his team at HT.

Steven79
04-03-2020, 10:31 AM
It was in the East. Everyone getting patted down/checked.The famous five had turnstiles out of order once again.

They should have left the previous scanners in as they may have been old but at least they worked!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 10:32 AM
The relationship and interaction between the team on the pitch and the supporters in the stands is a two-way thing. It's the same at every club.

The team on the pitch last night gave the supporters nothing. Sweet f*** all. It became very obvious to me last night how things were panning out, especially at the start of the second half.

Once again, that doesn’t explain why the atmosphere was flat from the first whistle. Or why the atmosphere in the Hearts end wasn’t. Not only were their players more up for it, their fans were too. Never happened 2016-2018

JimBHibees
04-03-2020, 10:33 AM
That certainly didn't help matters in the East, but the queues behind the FF were longer than usual and I don't think they got searched.

I'm not sure the scanners are at fault though - they work fine. You wait until it tells you to put your card in, put your card in, then go when it says Go.

What happens if it doesn't say go. :greengrin

Got waved through last 2 league games.

Jones28
04-03-2020, 10:34 AM
The famous five had turnstiles out of order once again.

They should have left the previous scanners in as they may have been old but at least they worked!

Was this new system not £800k? Crazy.

Mark1875
04-03-2020, 10:35 AM
It was in the East. Everyone getting patted down/checked.

I never got patted down and tbh if there are queues for searches it should mean less pressure on the turnstiles. Turnstiles failed badly last night (again). When I walked in to scan it was stuck on Go, it was like the system had jammed. The queue at the turnstile I used only started to go down when a steward started manually spinning the barrier.

Steven79
04-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Was this new system not £800k? Crazy.Whatever is cost it was a waste of money.

Was only a matter of time before it happened at a big game.

Jones28
04-03-2020, 10:37 AM
I never got patted down and tbh if there are queues for searches it should mean less pressure on the turnstiles. Turnstiles failed badly last night (again). When I walked in to scan it was stuck on Go, it was like the system had jammed. The queue at the turnstile I used only started to go down when a steward started manually spinning the barrier.

Everyone at the time was getting asked. My turnstile was stuck on green but still had to scan the ticket to get in. What a ridiculous situation. Some serious questions need asked of the company that installed the system.

Onceinawhile
04-03-2020, 10:42 AM

Sorry, but it wasn't.

The natural order derby for example was pretty quiet until we got the opener.

When we beat them 3-1 and were 2-0 in about twenty minutes it was good all game.

When we beat them 1-0 (Cummings '4) it was good for a bit, but an extended period was just nervous noise.

Hannah_hfc
04-03-2020, 10:43 AM
I’m glad I’m not the only one disappointed with our atmosphere. They had no reason to turn up and be vocal but they were, for 90 minutes. I’ve seen games at Easter road where we go 1- nil down and the crowd try and lift the team. That didn’t happen last night.

I left the ground last night annoyed at everything, the team, the crowd, the club. All embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerald green
04-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Once again, that doesn’t explain why the atmosphere was flat from the first whistle. Or why the atmosphere in the Hearts end wasn’t. Not only were their players more up for it, their fans were too. Never happened 2016-2018

Because right from the first whistle it was obvious things were not going to go as many Hibs supporters thought it would. Hearts had their tactics spot-on. I don't know what Hibs game plan was.

The away fans at these fixtures (both Hibs and Hearts fans) tend to be the highly committed hard core element of their supports. Hearts and their fans were fighting for their league survival, and as I posted on another thread proved to be very dangerous opponents.

Again, maybe it also had something to do with the mentality of the Hibs players and coaches? There was a complete lack of strong leadership both on and off the pitch too imo.

GreenCastle
04-03-2020, 10:47 AM
I wish the club would actually take control of the away end.

Mini huns and huns just do what they want and home fans are the ones who have sections of seats covered over.

The atmosphere was crap last night mainly due to the fact everyone could see we were awful and nothing was helping improve it.

Usually we have a good away backing at Tynie and ER home fans are loud for Derbies but last night I felt like a Jambo at the Tiny library as their home support is awful.

Hibs better have some good news with ST info about singing section otherwise it’s an own goal and another missed opportunity and an instant wow factor won’t be there helping the team.

18Craig75
04-03-2020, 10:48 AM
The fact that thousands weren’t able to get to their seat for kick off, allied with the insipid performance of the team meant the atmosphere was flat. Although it was 0-0 until 50 minutes we were absolutely battered the whole game.

There’s a chicken and egg argument about whether the players feed off the crowd or vice versa but it’s hard to create an atmosphere when you’re locked out.

We got their 20 minutes before ko and didn’t get to our seats until 5 minutes in. Obviously the hearts fans weren’t checked as vigorously given their smoke bombs.

BFG

They were definitely carrying out searches at the FF lower 4 guys in there 20s were pulled out of the queue in front of us and frisked but they seemed to be targeting certain age groups

ABZHFC
Because right from the first whistle it was obvious things were not going to go as many Hibs supporters thought it would. Hearts had their tactics spot-on. I don't know what Hibs game plan was.

The away fans at these fixtures (both Hibs and Hearts fans) tend to be the highly committed hard core element of their supports. Hearts and their fans were fighting for their league survival, and as I posted on another thread proved to be very dangerous opponents.

Again, maybe it also had something to do with the mentality of the Hibs players and coaches? There was a complete lack of strong leadership both on and off the pitch too imo.

Agree with this point completely, which begs the question, why do our fanbase refuse to even accept we have a committed, hard core element to our support? Never mind allows them to congregate together in the same part of the stadium to make an atmosphere?

This blinkered belief that every supporter is of equal value to the team's fortunes is part of the problem, in my opinion. Every season ticket holder, financially, backs the team in the same manner, but that's where it ends. Some turn up and try to encourage the team for 90 minutes no matter what, others bawl and shout abuse the second things go wrong. If we stopped pretending both fans were equally welcome at Easter Road, then maybe we'd go some way to solving the issue at hand

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 10:51 AM
They were definitely carrying out searches at the FF lower 4 guys in there 20s were pulled out of the queue in front of us and frisked but they seemed to be targeting certain age groups

Arguably our most important age demographic once again being single out for suspicion before they've even entered the stadium? Having paid £32 for the privilege to do so? What other 'business' in the world does this apart from football clubs? Really is mental

Bangkok Hibby
04-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Turnstiles nothing to do with lack of atmosphere from Hibs fans. The Hearts crowd sang their lungs out the whole game. All I could hear from us was the drum from FF upper. I dont go often enough these days to understand the problems but for me the singing section in the East makes a lot of sense.

GreenCastle
04-03-2020, 10:54 AM
The fact that thousands weren’t able to get to their seat for kick off, allied with the insipid performance of the team meant the atmosphere was flat. Although it was 0-0 until 50 minutes we were absolutely battered the whole game.

There’s a chicken and egg argument about whether the players feed off the crowd or vice versa but it’s hard to create an atmosphere when you’re locked out.

We got their 20 minutes before ko and didn’t get to our seats until 5 minutes in. Obviously the hearts fans weren’t checked as vigorously given their smoke bombs.

The queues at the east were poor and nothing be said about searches - just folk wondering why they hold up. Poor lighting and set up - Hibs should be explaining such a mess.

I have plenty time to get in but like others ended up being in seat only just before KO looking at an empty FF stand.

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Turnstiles nothing to do with lack of atmosphere from Hibs fans. The Hearts crowd sang their lungs out the whole game. All I could hear from us was the drum from FF upper. I dont go often enough these days to understand the problems but for me the singing section in the East makes a lot of sense.

I accept it doesn't help with the atmosphere not being allowed to build before kickoff but yeah, you're right, and like I've said previously, it was 0-0 until 50 minutes into the game, and the home end atmosphere was virtually non-existent, while they were bouncing the entire time

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 10:56 AM
Agree with this point completely, which begs the question, why do our fanbase refuse to even accept we have a committed, hard core element to our support? Never mind allows them to congregate together in the same part of the stadium to make an atmosphere?

This blinkered belief that every supporter is of equal value to the team's fortunes is part of the problem, in my opinion. Every season ticket holder, financially, backs the team in the same manner, but that's where it ends. Some turn up and try to encourage the team for 90 minutes no matter what, others bawl and shout abuse the second things go wrong. If we stopped pretending both fans were equally welcome at Easter Road, then maybe we'd go some way to solving the issue at hand

With the greatest respect, people won't take you seriously if you keep coming out with guff like that.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-03-2020, 11:01 AM

Whatever it was didn't make much of a difference.

FWIW I thought the sense I got from the crowd was for whatever reason not up for it.
They came buoyed with the cup win against The Rangers and with a point to prove and one of defiance. Their crowd got involved early our response was meek - for the home side it was poor.

We seemed to come with not much - have we got to the point of thinking "here we are now - entertain us!"? Have we stopped caring as much or enough? just didn't feel like a true derby atmosphere from our side.

Just me but I get twitchy when we see threads thinking we should give them a right doing complacency has crucified Hibs over the years - relegation party to name but one.

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 11:02 AM
With the greatest respect, people won't take you seriously if you keep coming out with guff like that.

How is it guff? A small section of our fans threatened to cancel their season tickets unless the loyalty points scheme was scrapped? We have some people who buy season tickets in the Famous Five Lower but hardly ever go claiming they're just as much of a fan because they've paid their money? Hearts have a loyalty points system that works just fine and is accepted by their fans, we do not because a minority kicked off about it?

What exactly is controversial about that statement?

HibeeHibernian4

Could you explain exactly what is guff about what they said. I’m very lost.

emerald green

Your first sentence - I don't think it's the case that our "fanbase" thinks that, and it's not really ultimately their call who goes where in the stadium.

I think everyone who supports Hibs should be made welcome at ER. It's part of Mr Gordon's 5 year plan to increase season ticket holders to around 17,000. Last night's result and performance will have been a major blow to that ambition I'd suggest.

I'm afraid there will always be some supporters who shout abuse when things are going badly. Not everyone supports their team in the same manner. Some let their frustrations and anger boil over. It has always been like that at football clubs all over the world.

Steve20
04-03-2020, 11:03 AM
Sorry, but it wasn't.

The natural order derby for example was pretty quiet until we got the opener.

When we beat them 3-1 and were 2-0 in about twenty minutes it was good all game.

When we beat them 1-0 (Cummings '4) it was good for a bit, but an extended period was just nervous noise.

Maybe it's just where I am at games (Back of the east stand near the away end), but the natural order derby was not quiet at all.

Moulin Yarns
04-03-2020, 11:04 AM

Ah, the pyros! Can you explain how you can guarantee no pyros if the singing section is moved anywhere else in the ground? The use of pyros is banned, and if you think that is the reason for the move to the upper famous five rather than the remaining in the East you are very much mistaken.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-03-2020, 11:08 AM
I don't think we're helped by outsourcing atmosphere to a PA system either nor are we helped by putting a lot of it on Sect43 or the Singing Corner (swing yer pants:))

"Hibee-Hibernian" I don't think is the one for before KO. And some of the more contemporary stuff is just random what was the song immediately before KO? Wasn't a Hibs song or an uplifting one IIRC.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 11:08 AM
How is it guff? A small section of our fans threatened to cancel their season tickets unless the loyalty points scheme was scrapped? We have some people who buy season tickets in the Famous Five Lower but hardly ever go claiming they're just as much of a fan because they've paid their money? Hearts have a loyalty points system that works just fine and is accepted by their fans, we do not because a minority kicked off about it?

What exactly is controversial about that statement?

Could you explain exactly what is guff about what they said. I’m very lost.

"why do our fanbase refuse to even accept we have a committed, hard core element to our support?"

I suspect that a lot of our fanbase, probably the majority, do accept that we have a commited, hard-core element to our support. I don't even see how anyone could disagree.

Therefore you're assertion is guff IMO.

simple
04-03-2020, 11:10 AM

Yeah I agree this played its part in the subdued atmosphere, people were raging waiting in massive queues, and when you finally get in it’s almost put you in the wrong frame of mind/bad mood.

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 11:17 AM
"why do our fanbase refuse to even accept we have a committed, hard core element to our support?"

I suspect that a lot of our fanbase, probably the majority, do accept that we have a commited, hard-core element to our support. I don't even see how anyone could disagree.

Therefore you're assertion is guff IMO.

I agree, it baffles me too, and yet with issues like loyalty points and the Famous Five lower, it seems as though people believe that's the case. All season ticket holders are deemed entirely equal, whether that's relating to their chances to get Hearts away tickets, or the value of their seat for cup games. Anything done to try and improve Easter Road's atmosphere, or indeed atmosphere at away games, is met with the 'devaluing the season ticket' line

GreenCastle
04-03-2020, 11:18 AM

The queues at the east were poor and nothing be said about searches - just folk wondering why they hold up. Poor lighting and set up - Hibs should be explaining such a mess.

I have plenty time to get in but like others ended up being in seat only just before KO looking at an empty FF stand.

Onceinawhile
04-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Maybe it's just where I am at games (Back of the east stand near the away end), but the natural order derby was not quiet at all.

For me (FFL) it was from about 20 minutes in until about an hour. The first 20 or so and the last 30 or so were noisier.

I actually thought the first 10-15 was a semi decent atmosphere, then the fans got on the teams back for every mistake they made.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 11:22 AM
I agree, it baffles me too, and yet with issues like loyalty points and the Famous Five lower, it seems as though people believe that's the case. All season ticket holders are deemed entirely equal, whether that's relating to their chances to get Hearts away tickets, or the value of their seat for cup games. Anything done to try and improve Easter Road's atmosphere, or indeed atmosphere at away games, is met with the 'devaluing the season ticket' line

So who decides who's worthy or not?

Would you have people sing Hibs songs at auditions in order to qualify for ticket at Hampden?

And from what I've seen, those giving the most vocal support and those giving the most abuse depending on how things are going are fairly often the same people. It's called passion.

Begbie79
04-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Would you have people sing Hibs songs at auditions in order to qualify for ticket at Hampden?

And from what I've seen, those giving the most vocal support and those giving the most abuse depending on how things are going are fairly often the same people. It's called passion.

Would you class walking out at 2-0 down passion?

nae offence mate but you dont half talk some *****. give it a rest your boring as ****.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 11:30 AM

For some people, yes.

nae offence mate but you dont half talk some *****.

What bit do you disagree with?

give it a rest your boring as ****.

Put me on ignore then. I don't care.

ABZHFC
04-03-2020, 11:31 AM

A simple loyalty points system that works at Hearts and Aberdeen no bother? Those who go to the most away games get first dibs on the most high demand tickets?

As for not sorting out Easter Road's layout to benefit the atmosphere, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. People say "if you move people from their seats, they won't renew!", but results like last night and the 3-0 defeat to Rangers will see far more people not renewing. And a contributing factor to those defeats, for me, is that our atmosphere is pish, while they have a full away end on their feet from the first minute onwards

Barman Stanton
04-03-2020, 11:33 AM

nae offence mate but you dont half talk some *****. give it a rest your boring as ****.

This actually made me laugh our loud. You couldnt have been much more offensive :faf:

Begbie79
04-03-2020, 11:36 AM
For some people, yes.

What bit do you disagree with?

Put me on ignore then. I don't care.

So, your saying that walking out and turning your back on your own team at 2-0 down is passionate aye?

What did you do in front of your telly in france? did you turn off? did you even watch the game? or just catch up on the result online and get your fingers limbered up for another entire day of slavouring absolute tosh on here?

Begbie79
04-03-2020, 11:37 AM
This actually made me laugh our loud. You couldnt have been much more offensive :faf:

not meant to be offensive mate, im just passionate :wink:

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 11:40 AM
A simple loyalty points system that works at Hearts and Aberdeen no bother? Those who go to the most away games get first dibs on the most high demand tickets?

I have no problem with that.

As for not sorting out Easter Road's layout to benefit the atmosphere, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. People say "if you move people from their seats, they won't renew!", but results like last night and the 3-0 defeat to Rangers will see far more people not renewing. And a contributing factor to those defeats, for me, is that our atmosphere is pish, while they have a full away end on their feet from the first minute onwards

For years when the old East terracing was covered & standing, we sometimes created an atmosphere that's as good as I've experienced anywhere as a Hibs fan.

The team were still pretty pish though.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 11:46 AM
So, your saying that walking out and turning your back on your own team at 2-0 down is passionate aye?

I was (still) in Tynecastle to see Joe McBride jnr. brining us back from 2-0 down in the final minutes of a match. I don't leave matches early (apart from leaving Ibrox once at 5-0 down and missing their last 2 goals).

What did you do in front of your telly in france? did you turn off? did you even watch the game? or just catch up on the result online and get your fingers limbered up for another entire day of slavouring absolute tosh on here?

I watched the match from start to finish on Hibs TV, apart from a minute or two where the stream went down. I apologise for living in France.

I'm away to look up "slavouring" in the dictionary.

matty_f
04-03-2020, 11:48 AM
That's down to taking the singing section out the East, where they should be.
Nah we'll stick them in FF upper where nobody can hear them:thumbsup:

Proof is in the pudding, like night and day against Inverness when moved down closer to the pitch and 100% had a positive affect on the players.

Not saying we would've won the game but surely having it where folk can hear it would make a difference

The singing section were in the FF Upper when the Natural Order derby happened, and the atmosphere was buzzing that night.

Anthony Soprano
04-03-2020, 11:57 AM
I don't think we're helped by outsourcing atmosphere to a PA system either nor are we helped by putting a lot of it on Sect43 or the Singing Corner (swing yer pants:))

"Hibee-Hibernian" I don't think is the one for before KO. And some of the more contemporary stuff is just random what was the song immediately before KO? Wasn't a Hibs song or an uplifting one IIRC.

Faithless - Insomnia, classic

theonlywayisup
04-03-2020, 12:04 PM
I can understand why the OP is making the point. The atmosphere was rubbish last night.

However, IMO, the atmosphere has little bearing on whether the team plays well or not. Whereas, the performance of the team has a huge impact on the atmosphere.

Last night, had Hibs scored in the first five minutes as we've done in the past against the Old Firm or the Hertz, Easter Road would have been bouncing. However, as the game settled down, it was clear to all that the Hertz were the better team and anxiety levels in the crowd increased. Would 16,000 Hibees all singing change things. Others may think differently, but I don't think that would be the case.

Whilst I'm talking rubbish, I've always thought that many of the songs the Singing Section tend to sing don't have the raw power lyrics that other songs have. The opposing fans sing "Hello, Hello.....", the net result is that a large number of fans join in as it's a 'power' song. The same can be said about "H....E...A...." or "We are Hibernian FC" or "Stand Free.....". I always think that the "Paul Hanlon" song or "Starman" song etc, whilst great songs, aren't those that gets everyone singing.

No-one agreed when I last said it and I doubt if anyone will now! :greengrin

My case in point was that there was an occasion last night that the East awoke to start the "We are Hibernian FC" song, but the Singing Section were singing something that I've no idea what the words were.

HendoDelivered
04-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Was like a morgue at times in out end. Embarrassing in a derby and outsung by the tramps. That singing section needs moved pronto. About as much use as a chocolate fireguard having them up in the corner of the FF upper. Something needs done about it ASAP.

JeMeSouviens
04-03-2020, 12:14 PM
I can understand why the OP is making the point. The atmosphere was rubbish last night.

However, IMO, the atmosphere has little bearing on whether the team plays well or not. Whereas, the performance of the team has a huge impact on the atmosphere.

Last night, had Hibs scored in the first five minutes as we've done in the past against the Old Firm or the Hertz, Easter Road would have been bouncing. However, as the game settled down, it was clear to all that the Hertz were the better team and anxiety levels in the crowd increased. Would 16,000 Hibees all singing change things. Others may think differently, but I don't think that would be the case.

Whilst I'm talking rubbish, I've always thought that many of the songs the Singing Section tend to sing don't have the raw power lyrics that other songs have. The opposing fans sing "Hello, Hello.....", the net result is that a large number of fans join in as it's a 'power' song. The same can be said about "H....E...A...." or "We are Hibernian FC" or "Stand Free.....". I always think that the "Paul Hanlon" song or "Starman" song etc, whilst great songs, aren't those that gets everyone singing.

No-one agreed when I last said it and I doubt if anyone will now! :greengrin

My case in point was that there was an occasion last night that the East awoke to start the "We are Hibernian FC" song, but the Singing Section were singing something that I've no idea what the words were.

this is (yet another) problem of the singing section being stuck in the corner, new songs don't catch on with the rest of the support because nobody can hear them!

Barman Stanton
04-03-2020, 12:15 PM
In a derby the away support will always out-sing the home support while the scores are even. We do the same at Tynie.

Damn this place is depressing today, absolutely every little thing is being picked upon. We had a shocker and lost a game. One of very few games we have lost since Jack was appointed. We move on and perform better next time.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 12:17 PM
As everybody rightly says the atmosphere is a two way thing and last night the team didn't do much to engage the fans, the Hearts fans could see from the word go that their team was up for it and it doesn't take much more than that to galvanise an away support, as our own at Tynecastle shows.

But the ( not for the first time ) shambles at the turnstiles last night didn't help ... I was outside the FF 10 minutes before kick off and the queue was into St Clair street ... I didn't get in until 7:56 .. 11 minutes after kick off and there was still folk behind me. It's been an issue all season and its time Hibs got it sorted.

But the Elephant in the room is the FF lower question .... We need the singing section in there, because it will be populated by fans who want to sing irrespective of how the team starts the game, their visibility there in my opinion will encourage the other stands to act more positively and join in. It's gone beyond who this might upset so far as I'm concerned .... we need to do this. As somebody else said, what will upset fans more and screw up future ST sales, asking a set of fans half of whom barely turn up for matches anyway to move to a different part of the stadium, or flat atmospheres and pumpings like last night?

Steven79
04-03-2020, 12:22 PM
As everybody rightly says the atmosphere is a two way thing and last night the team didn't do much to engage the fans, the Hearts fans could see from the word go that their team was up for it and it doesn't take much more than that to galvanise an away support, as our own at Tynecastle shows.

But the ( not for the first time ) shambles at the turnstiles last night didn't help ... I was outside the FF 10 minutes before kick off and the queue was into St Clair street ... I didn't get in until 7:56 .. 11 minutes after kick off and there was still folk behind me. It's been an issue all season and its time Hibs got it sorted.

But the Elephant in the room is the FF lower question .... We need the singing section in there, because it will be populated by fans who want to sing irrespective of how the team starts the game, their visibility there in my opinion will encourage the other stands to act more positively and join in. It's gone beyond who this might upset so far as I'm concerned .... we need to do this. As somebody else said, what will upset fans more and screw up future ST sales, asking a set of fans half of whom barely turn up for matches anyway to move to a different part of the stadium, or flat atmospheres and pumpings like last night?100%

If they keep things as they are I may just pick and choose games rather than buying a season ticket.

The solution is right in front of them but if they choose to ignore it then we have yet another season of poor atmosphere at home.

Deejk107
04-03-2020, 12:28 PM
The worst part about our team this season is the fans honestly. People need to take a long look at themselves leaving in the 65th minute in the Derby. Every game I've been at this season outside of the singing section you get dirty looks for trying to sing/swear etc which is pathetic. Was ousted out of my singing section seat during the St Mirren game so had to sit one section over and the difference is legitimately embarrassing. One section over from young boys knocking their pan in to support OUR club and you've got folk sat on their hands. Don't know if it's the type of people who sat in the FF before or what but since we built that new stand and took the only people willing to get behind our club out of it, Easter Road has been akin to a library. Whatever happened to "we'll support you forever more"

WeeRussell
04-03-2020, 12:31 PM
The worst part about our team this season is the fans honestly. People need to take a long look at themselves leaving in the 65th minute in the Derby. Every game I've been at this season outside of the singing section you get dirty looks for trying to sing/swear etc which is pathetic. Was ousted out of my singing section seat during the St Mirren game so had to sit one section over and the difference is legitimately embarrassing. One section over from young boys knocking their pan in to support OUR club and you've got folk sat on their hands. Don't know if it's the type of people who sat in the FF before or what but since we built that new stand and took the only people willing to get behind our club out of it, Easter Road has been akin to a library. Whatever happened to "we'll support you forever more"

What did you do to earn your oust, if you don't mind me asking?

theonlywayisup
04-03-2020, 12:33 PM

I really can't be arsed with this "singing section fans good, non-singing fans bad" posts.

WeeRussell
04-03-2020, 12:33 PM

Was one of the most uninspiring and disappointing start to a second half I remember seeing at ER. Just when I was expecting a reaction and improvement from the poor first half to go and get the job done. I'm not surprised there weren't large numbers of fans singing.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 12:39 PM
Was one of the most uninspiring and disappointing start to a second half I remember seeing at ER. Just when I was expecting a reaction and improvement from the poor first half to go and get the job done. I'm not surprised there weren't large numbers of fans singing.

I thought the first 5 minutes after the restart was one of our better spells. Doesn't mean we were good, just a bit better.

jacomo
04-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Wasn’t there last night, but BBC were commenting that atmosphere was flat from the off.

Of course the crowd responds to the team, but maybe sometimes our team responds to the crowd?

WeeRussell
04-03-2020, 12:46 PM
I thought the first 5 minutes after the restart was one of our better spells. Doesn't mean we were good, just a bit better.

Maybe my memory of one big nightmare is failing me but I thought we were markedly worse!! Maybe I am 5 minutes out as I say though.

You're correct though, at no point were we "good" as a team.

Alfred E Newman
04-03-2020, 12:48 PM
The atmosphere comes from the pitch. The Hearts support got behind their team because they saw that their players were up for it. We had our first shot on target in the last minute and were second-best all night.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 01:07 PM

Erm, not strictly true mate, there are folk like me and my mate in the FF lower more than willing to be vocal, but as you say those that are not vastly outnumber us.

I like watching from the FF lower and have always sat there bar one season in the east when it opened ... which is incidentally why I know having a couple of sections in that stand singing does not encourage all of it to join in ... it didn't then and hasn't for all the time its been open. That's why I've been convinced for years that the FF lower is worth trying and why I was always willing to move in order to make it happen.

Sudds_1
04-03-2020, 01:14 PM
But my point is, since April 2018, we have not once beaten any of those sides at home (apart from when we cut Celtic’s allocation in December 2018). They have a full Dunbar End, rocking, standing, singing behind the goals. Hearts didn’t play fantastically first half, they were perhaps better but it wasn’t an inspiring, rousing performance from them. Why don’t we look to try and replicate an away atmosphere at home games? Aberdeen are doing it from next season with their Red Shed initiative, why are we so insistent on the status quo? That clearly is not working for us

Have to say the yams end was bouncing from the off...even before that they were roaring on their players during warm up...stark contrast to our lot who looked like rabbits in the headlights gazing up at half empty stands 10 mins before kick off.

JeMeSouviens
04-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Have to say the yams end was bouncing from the off...even before that they were roaring on their players during warm up...stark contrast to our lot who looked like rabbits in the headlights gazing up at half empty stands 10 mins before kick off.

As has been said above, the reverse is always true at Tiny. However, we did manage a half decent atmosphere at home derbies up until the last few.

Baldy Foghorn
04-03-2020, 01:30 PM
The amount of fans leaving at second and third goals without a murmur. Apathy again. We let them boss us and we were not up for the fight. 4th looking tougher

Shrekko
04-03-2020, 01:39 PM
The amount of fans leaving at second and third goals without a murmur. Apathy again. We let them boss us and we were not up for the fight. 4th looking tougher

We are top of the league for early leavers by a good way - regardless of whether people get upset by the suggestion.

Folk can do as they choose but I’m guessing that fans staying with the team helps -as opposed to mass clear outs with lots of time left.

Steven79
04-03-2020, 02:02 PM
We are top of the league for early leavers by a good way - regardless of whether people get upset by the suggestion.

Folk can do as they choose but I’m guessing that fans staying with the team helps -as opposed to mass clear outs with lots of time left.

It was midweek during a school night and we were never coming back from 2-0 down.

If we had stayed till the end then it could have added another 30-60 minutes onto our journey home.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 02:03 PM
It was midweek during a school night and we were never coming back from 2-0 down.

If we had stayed till the end then it could have added another 30-60 minutes onto our journey home.

Stranger things have happened.

Steven79
04-03-2020, 02:05 PM
Stranger things have happened.Not the way we were playing.

Shrekko
04-03-2020, 02:38 PM

Can think of 3 occasions we’ve come back from 2-0 down against them from pretty much nowhere .... 2 late Joe McBride goals at Tynie, the 2-2 game that saved Jim Duffy’s job for a while and the 2016 cup game. All 3 times we were dead and buried - it happens.

I do take your point re last night but other mass clear-outs I’ve found harder to fathom. And I reiterate that people can do as they please.

Onceinawhile
04-03-2020, 02:55 PM

I stayed to the end and it actually took about 30 minutes off my journey! You probably got home around the same time as if you'd stayed to the final whistle.

(not judging either way btw, can fully understand your decision)

Baldy Foghorn
04-03-2020, 02:58 PM

I'm not having a pop at fans leaving. It was the manner I found strange. No bitterness or shouting. Just an acceptance we had been rolled over

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Can think of 3 occasions we’ve come back from 2-0 down against them from pretty much nowhere .... 2 late Joe McBride goals at Tynie, the 2-2 game that saved Jim Duffy’s job for a while and the 2016 cup game. All 3 times we were dead and buried - it happens.

I do take your point re last night but other mass clear-outs I’ve found harder to fathom. And I reiterate that people can do as they please.

At 0 - 2 with 15 minutes to go I still don't get the mass rush to leave. At 0 - 3 with 10 to go the baw was burst and who can blame folk, a comeback then would have been a football miracle even I couldn't envisage happening after witnessing the prior 80 minutes ... or at least most of them.

Folk who leave early at 1 - 0 either way or while the game is tied absolutely baffle me ... very strange people :confused:

Nicho87
04-03-2020, 06:41 PM
Of all the years being at and watching Edinburgh derbies no matter what the form, the away team are always generally louder until the first goal. Then the crowd is louder dependant on the scorer of home or away team.

Always has and always will be the way of it.

wookie70
04-03-2020, 09:11 PM
I'm not having a pop at fans leaving. It was the manner I found strange. No bitterness or shouting. Just an acceptance we had been rolled over

I stayed to the end to boo them off but couldn't even be bothered doing that. It was one of the worst derby performances I have seen in 40 odd years partly down to how poor the opposition was but mostly due to the lack of spirit and effort from the players.

I can understand people leaving early the way ER is policed. We must be the only ground that allows away fans quicker routes to the main thoroughfare than home fans. It is something that we should be discussing with the Police imo

jakedance
04-03-2020, 09:48 PM
I was in the famous five lower with my nephew and the atmosphere was toxic from the first minute with some men screaming abuse at our own players. It’s no way to get behind your team and no way to behave in front of children in the family area. It can be hard going being a Hibee sometimes but some folk need a sense of perspective.

CMurdoch
04-03-2020, 10:30 PM
I stayed to the end to boo them off but couldn't even be bothered doing that. It was one of the worst derby performances I have seen in 40 odd years partly down to how poor the opposition was but mostly due to the lack of spirit and effort from the players.

I can understand people leaving early the way ER is policed. We must be the only ground that allows away fans quicker routes to the main thoroughfare than home fans. It is something that we should be discussing with the Police imo

Funny you should say that.
I stayed to the end but have absolutely no recollection of seeing the Hibs players after the final whistle despite being trapped in the East. Well weird.

DetroitHibs
04-03-2020, 10:36 PM
The club need to invest in an all standing section. Get the atmosphere going from there and generate a buzz around the place.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 10:42 PM
I was in the famous five lower with my nephew and the atmosphere was toxic from the first minute with some men screaming abuse at our own players. It’s no way to get behind your team and no way to behave in front of children in the family area. It can be hard going being a Hibee sometimes but some folk need a sense of perspective.

Well, seeing as how at that point two thirds of the FF stand were still in a queue outside of the stadium you could have had a word with these folk individually :greengrin

But seriously .... when is the atmosphere at ER or Tynecastle for that matter not 'toxic' for a derby match? We have been taking kids to derby matches for literally decades all of them in the FF lower and the behaviour has been exactly the same ... The 4 kids in question, 3 boys and 1 girl now range in age from 18 to 30 their experience from a very young age also includes dozens of Hibs v Celtic and Rangers games, not to mention loads of Hampden finals and semi finals where as we all know every single Hibs fan behaves like an utter pissed up moron, pucking up outside the stadium, pishing in the street and spoiling for a fight with every fan around them as soon as they get in.

Yet all 4 of these people who started attending games from at least 7 years of age have all grown up to be sensible well adjusted young adults showing absolutely no signs of trauma or PTSD whatsoever ..... amazing isn't it.

CMurdoch
04-03-2020, 10:45 PM

I sit in the middle section of the East and can honestly say that, other than at the Rangers game before Christmas, folk in there behave really decently and that includes last night. I would happily have had my kids sitting there. Conversely, when my kids were young we sat in the FFL and there were some real angry sweary morons in there who as you say didn't temper their behaviour in front of kids.
All seater stadiums have made us much less anonymous and only the drunk and the real bams make a real erse of themselves now whilst the rest of us confine ourselves to occasional outbursts........in my case at Scott Allan.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 10:56 PM
I sit in the middle section of the East and can honestly say that, other than at the Rangers game before Christmas, folk in there behave really decently and that includes last night. I would happily have had my kids sitting there. Conversely, when my kids were young we sat in the FFL and there were some real angry sweary morons in there who as you say didn't temper their behaviour in front of kids.
All seater stadiums have made us much less anonymous and only the drunk and the real bams make a real erse of themselves now whilst the rest of us confine ourselves to occasional outbursts.

This goes directly to what some folk, myself included, have been saying about the family section and the clubs blinkered obsession with it. Every part of ER should be a safe environment for kids, and they are from a health and safety point of view. But the truth is that the adults in the FF lower go there because of the cheap family ticket deals, not because they think their precious wee lambs will be protected from shouting and swearing, because the truth is that they wont be any more than in the east or the west ... lets not forget, every shouty sweary adult in the FF lower probably has kids with them.

In fact, logically would it not be far more sensible to turn the FF lower into a dedicated shouty sweary bams section and spread the kids around the stadium where they can watch said bams at work from a safe distance :greengrin

In fact in fact, this could be a UK first for the mighty Hibees who have been at the forefront of football innovation since 1875 .... The first club in the UK, possibly the world, where a steward can say to a fan .... 'Oi mate, if you want to behave like that get a ticket for the shouty sweary bams section !!!'

CMurdoch
04-03-2020, 11:03 PM
This goes directly to what some folk, myself included, have been saying about the family section. Every part of ER should be a safe environment for kids, and they are from a health and safety point of view. But the truth is that the adults in the FF lower go there because of the cheap family ticket deals, not because they think their precious wee lambs will be protected from shouting and swearing, because the truth is that they wont be any more than in the east or the west ... lets not forget, every shouty sweary adult in the FF lower probably has kids with them.

In fact, logically would it not be far more sensible to turn the FF lower into a dedicated shouty sweary bams section and spread the kids around the stadium where they can watch said bams at work from a safe distance :greengrin

If I was trying to minimise risk to the club from bams I would have the singing section and the bams and daft laddies that would inevitably tag along in the FFL. It would be a season ticket only area to avoid randoms infiltrating and to allow easy identification and banning if there was any throwing of objects etc.
They would be the length of the pitch from the away support which would avoid any risk of bam on bam action or interaction.
You could then have families in the sections at the North end of the East & West stands plus the current singing section in the FFU.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 11:09 PM
If I was trying to minimise risk to the club from bams I would have them all in the FFL, the length of the pitch from the away support to avoid any risk of bam on bam action or interaction.

Indeed, this is sage like thinking. As you say, not only protecting our young impressionable fans who are all learning how to swear like Leith dockers by being in the FF lower, but also putting the maximum distance between our bams and like minded bams in the south to prevent bam on bam bammery .... why aren't the club all over this FF ( lower ) sake :greengrin

CMurdoch
04-03-2020, 11:27 PM
In fact in fact, this could be a UK first for the mighty Hibees who have been at the forefront of football innovation since 1875 .... The first club in the UK, possibly the world, where a steward can say to a fan .... 'Oi mate, if you want to behave like that get a ticket for the shouty sweary bams section !!!'

I'll send Ron & Leanne an email in the mornin'
Tell them we've got it sorted

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2020, 12:24 AM
I'll send Ron & Leanne an email in the mornin'
Tell them we've got it sorted

Its a new dawn mate :aok: :flag: