PDA

View Full Version : Straight out the Levein Playbook

hibbie02
04-03-2020, 07:28 AM
Putting aside the abysmal performance by us, that was a classic ER performance by Them.

For most of the game they tried to get all of their outfield players into the middle third of the pitch to smother Hibs. They stopped our passing game in the first half and in the second we were incapable of passing anywhere other than to one of Them or off the Park. They smother the game, turn it into a kicking match and wait for our Defence to make mistakes. They brought us down to their level and simply had more desire to win. They double teamed Squirrel and that was all they needed to do. Doidge and McNulty got dragged back into midfield to get the ball as no one could get it to them further up the field.

It was apparent what They were trying to do and we were not able to adapt. Too many key players could not step up and find a way to beat that style of play. Hertz seemed to enjoy the freedom of a bigger pitch to move from Hoofball to strangulation. It was left to us to hoof it. As usual we were too cocky and lacked the level of fight needed. We should never be cocky against that lot. In 50 years of supporting Hibs, I have never felt confident against Them. I doubt that will ever change.

lyonhibs
04-03-2020, 07:33 AM
We were ****ing *****. Hearts played well, considerably better than us in all departments, including actual football, and we couldn't handle it.

Need to man up and acknowledge that reality without adding the false caveat of "typical Levein-esque effort"

I'm very, very glad I don't have to go into an office with any Jambos this morning.

neil7908
04-03-2020, 07:36 AM
We were ****ing *****. Hearts played well, considerably better than us in all departments, including actual football, and we couldn't handle it.

Need to man up and acknowledge that reality without adding the false caveat of "typical Levein-es que effort"

I'm very, very glad I don't have to go into an office with any Jambos this morning.

Yup. They were just better than us. Penalty was cooly taken (hope our players were watching) and the second and third goals were quality.

This wasn't a typical Hearts performance. They tried to play football more than we did and for once we can't blame the ref - McNulty should have been off after that stamp on Clare.

They outfought and out played us in every department.

SideBurns
04-03-2020, 07:36 AM
Putting aside the abysmal performance by us, that was a classic ER performance by Them.

For most of the game they tried to get all of their outfield players into the middle third of the pitch to smother Hibs. They stopped our passing game in the first half and in the second we were incapable of passing anywhere other than to one of Them or off the Park. They smother the game, turn it into a kicking match and wait for our Defence to make mistakes. They brought us down to their level and simply had more desire to win. They double teamed Squirrel and that was all they needed to do. Doidge and McNulty got dragged back into midfield to get the ball as no one could get it to them further up the field.

It was apparent what They were trying to do and we were not able to adapt. Too many key players could not step up and find a way to beat that style of play. Hertz seemed to enjoy the freedom of a bigger pitch to move from Hoofball to strangulation. It was left to us to hoof it. As usual we were too cocky and lacked the level of fight needed. We should never be cocky against that lot. In 50 years of supporting Hibs, I have never felt confident against Them. I doubt that will ever change.

A lot of what you say is spot on, but they also played much better fitba than us when in possession. Hearts were really good - makes you wonder how they've had such a shocking season.

theonlywayisup
04-03-2020, 07:47 AM
A lot of what you say is spot on, but they also played much better fitba than us when in possession. Hearts were really good - makes you wonder how they've had such a shocking season.

As shocked as I was about our performance, I was also shocked at their performance. They we much better that I thought that they would be.

I understand where the OP is coming from, but I thought it was quite different from a Levein display. I saw very little in the way of a hoof, in fact the only team hoofing it was ours. Many on here have laughed at Stendel's high press, but we were incapable of dealing with it.

My fear is that Stendel might turn them into an effective and entertaining team.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Hearts outplayed us in terms of football last night. They fought and earned the right to play and were pretty ruthless going forward.

I'd love to play up the hammerthrowers, hoofball, cloggers narrative but last night it is miles wide off the mark.

hibsbollah
04-03-2020, 07:54 AM
It was far from Levein football. High press, neat passing, and flooding the box at every set piece. They kept only one defender back for a few corners, they missed a number of good chances. They dominated and look certain to stay up on that form. Stendel has a plan and it looks like his players are starting to get it. It should be a massive wake up call for our club.

Time up for a number of players that I've loved watching but Paul Hanlon and Lewis Stevenson for two just aren't good enough for where we want to be.

SideBurns
04-03-2020, 07:57 AM
As shocked as I was about our performance, I was also shocked at their performance. They we much better that I thought that they would be.

I understand where the OP is coming from, but I thought it was quite different from a Levein display. I saw very little in the way of a hoof, in fact the only team hoofing it was ours. Many on here have laughed at Stendel's high press, but we were incapable of dealing with it.

My fear is that Stendel might turn them into an effective and entertaining team.

Correct. But tbh the idea that they turn into a team playing attractive football doesn't really bother me - as long as we improve at the same pace. Hibs & Hearts competing at the top end is good for the Scottish game; my only fear would be if they became significantly better than us. That shouldn't be allowed to happen, and hopefully won't.

Since452
04-03-2020, 07:59 AM
Hearts won every second ball, pressed us all over the park and stopped us playing. The best Hearts performance I've seen at ER since Romanov days. Couldn't have complained if it was 4 or 5.

Hopefully the wake up call we need for Hampden. Win that and last night is forgotten

TheHarpy76
04-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Hearts were very good last night. It doesn’t make you a bad Hibs fan to acknowledge it. To say that they only relied on hoofball and kicking our players is churlish in the extreme. Anyone can see they have a decent squad of players and now they have a manager who seems capable of of getting the best out of them.
I hope we learned something last night and set ourselves out appropriately for the semi.