PDA

View Full Version : Is Stevenson finally finished?

Liam6270
03-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Having watched tonight’s game is Stevenson finally finished in a green jersey?

AL-Qaholik
03-03-2020, 09:19 PM
So long as we have absolutely no cover for his position, sadly not. A club legend but so far past his sell by date, he’s in danger of tarnishing his own legacy.

calumhibee1
03-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Dreadful. Utterly dreadful.

Logie Green
03-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Yes, he couldn't cross the road.

supermcginn
03-03-2020, 09:21 PM

He was finished last season.

GibbytheHibby2
03-03-2020, 09:22 PM

There were much worse on the pitch tonight.

Hibs90
Yes.

stuart-farquhar
Needs to go now.

Brooster
He's been finished all season but that performance from him tonight was horrendous. Time to drop him completely.

dmc1875
He can play in a 4 but not as the only wide player in a 3-5-2

CloudSquall
You either get a ***** cross or he turns back in and passes to Hanlon because he can't use his right foot.

New LB required in the summer, one that can attack the byline and put a cross in.

The 90+2
03-03-2020, 09:23 PM
He actually made some decent runs in the first half tonight. You just know regardless it’s going to end up in absolutely piss poor end product.

Defensively him and Hanlon are done.

hfc rd
03-03-2020, 09:24 PM
Of course he’s finished. He’s been found out all season.

Really hope Newell is back soon and a new LB is on our radar this summer.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2020, 09:24 PM
Yes, he was hearts man of the match along with Hanlon. Cup winners or not, garbage.

Liam6270
03-03-2020, 09:25 PM
He’s been in the Hibs squad for 20 years now and still can’t cross a ball, it’s painful to watch

Gmack7
03-03-2020, 09:27 PM
he cannot get the ball across. its like he cant kick it that far. among many others a totally hopeless performances

CMac1988
03-03-2020, 09:32 PM
I've been defending him over the last few months and trying to find the positives in his game. You could usually depend on his commitment and effort in a defensive capacity which far outweighed his shortcomings. With that said though the scales have slowly been tipping from dependable to predictable for some time and I'm not sure he's got it in him to return to the same kind of form that's made him a 1st pick for so long. Struggling to stop crosses coming in to the box and losing his man far too easily these days. Coupled with poor contribution going forward it's sad to say but his time is coming to an end. Hope I'm wrong.

Coco Bryce
03-03-2020, 09:34 PM
It's all over for him. A fantastic servant but his time is up.

BlackSheep
03-03-2020, 09:35 PM
Yes. He and Hanlon need to be replaced. No just based on tonight... they’ve been poor all season! Need Newell back pronto! Or give Fraser Murray a run at left mid.

Hermit Crab
I've been defending him over the last few months and trying to find the positives in his game. You could usually depend on his commitment and effort in a defensive capacity which far outweighed his shortcomings. With that said though the scales have slowly been tipping from dependable to predictable for some time and I'm not sure he's got it in him to return to the same kind of form that's made him a 1st pick for so long. Struggling to stop crosses coming in to the box and losing his man far too easily these days. Coupled with poor contribution going forward it's sad to say but his time is coming to an end. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't, he needs replaced.

Keyser Sauzee
I’m almost getting to the point where I hope he doesn’t play for us again. He’s hopeless going forward which is a massive part of a modern fullbacks game. It sounds harsh for what he’s achieved but because he’s had a great career up to now doesn’t mean it has to carry on any longer, get rid.

MWHIBBIES
Squad player at best now. Tonight was gash and should see the end at Hibs for quite a few.

One Day

Yes

marleyhib
03-03-2020, 09:38 PM
Shocking tonight, so bad Hearts didn't even bother marking him in the first half. He's been awful all season.

lyonhibs
He has saved some of his best performances for games against Hearts but also some of his worst. Tonight was definitely the latter, absolutely brutal use of the ball. Useful squad player though, but until the summer he'll be there or thereabouts in the starting XI.

HibeeHibernian4
Has the Titanic finally sunk? Has the Hindenburg finally crashed? Has Archduke Franz Ferdinand finally died of his wounds? etc. etc.

The Modfather
03-03-2020, 09:53 PM
He will always give his all but no longer up to the standard required. I still have my reservations as to whether he is good enough as a defensive fullback in a 4 as he no longer stops the majority of crosses.

He’s never been good enough as any kind of attacking outlet despite an admirable willingness.

Max_Shah
03-03-2020, 09:59 PM
I'm sure there will be some sentimental greeting card-esque post from a poster hiding behind a "username" but I use my real name and I AM ****ING HURTING RIGHT NOW.

In fact one could play Hibs.net Lewis bingo:

Legend

Nice guy

Won two cups

Every manager picks him

I'm a coach and he tries hard

A real "professional"

Have I missed any?

The inescapable fact is he is an average Scottish professional football player and if we want to realize Ron's ambitions [as per the AGM] for the club we need to ditch our quaint/twee sentiment.

Yes, he is a nice guy. Yes, he is a good pro. Yes, he does a lot for the local community.

I personally appreciate what he brings to the team and he is very far from finished as a SPFL professional footballer but let us ask ourselves in the cold light of a winters day whether he is good enough for our Europa League/Europa Conference League ambitions [as per the AGM]

JR knows the answer and it will not make him popular come the summertime...

hibee-boys
03-03-2020, 10:00 PM
This thread is a season too late.

adhibs
03-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Anytime he's given the ball I just think **** sake.

Hibee Mac
03-03-2020, 10:02 PM
Shocking tonight, so bad Hearts didn't even bother marking him in the first half. He's been awful all season.

Pains me to say it but you are bang on. They left him wide open most of the first half knowing fine well that he offered no threat.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2020, 10:06 PM
I'm sure there will be some sentimental greeting card-esque post from a poster hiding behind a "username" but I use my real name and I AM ****ING HURTING RIGHT NOW.

In fact one could play Hibs.net Lewis bingo:

Legend

Nice guy

Won two cups

Every manager picks him

I'm a coach and he tries hard

A real "professional"

Have I missed any?

The inescapable fact is he is an average Scottish professional football player and if we want to realize Ron's ambitions [as per the AGM] for the club we need to ditch our quaint/twee sentiment.

Yes, he is a nice guy. Yes, he is a good pro. Yes, he does a lot for the local community.

I personally appreciate what he brings to the team and he is very far from finished as a SPFL professional footballer but let us ask ourselves in the cold light of a winters day whether he is good enough for our Europa League/Europa Conference League ambitions [as per the AGM]

JR knows the answer and it will not make him popular come the summertime...

What did he bring to the team tonight then Max? Apart from error after error and hoof after hoof? I get thats your opinion but he is not good enough for Hibs.

One Day Soon
03-03-2020, 10:08 PM
Perhaps not as a squad player and defensive cover. But as a first pick in that position? Yes.

HibeeHibernian4
03-03-2020, 10:09 PM
What did he bring to the team tonight then Max? Apart from error after error and hoof after hoof? I get thats your opinion but he is not good enough for Hibs.

The SPFL includes all 42 teams.

emerald green
03-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Great servant to HFC, but Hibs need a replacement for Lewis now.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Squad player.

We look a far weaker team playing that formation with him in there and not JN. Offer very little going forward, final ball is hit or miss at best and even defensively he looks vulnerable now.

Great servant, great guy and great player in his day but his day has been and gone.

wookie70
03-03-2020, 10:15 PM
It's rare I criticise the wee man but he was as poor tonight as I can remember. Doesn't help having no-one helping him out and very little in the way of options but he looked, like most of them, terrified to hold the ball

CD69
03-03-2020, 10:15 PM
Utterly bizarre after all these years we still haven’t been in the market for a decent left back to be honest, in my opinion

Allez Hibs
03-03-2020, 10:27 PM
Yes. A liability.

Jdawg
03-03-2020, 11:41 PM
Having watched tonight’s game is Stevenfinally finished in a green jersey?

Can’t say that he won CIS and the Scottish..........

Good job he had great footballers around him bother those games. A *****bag of a player.

Stuart93
03-03-2020, 11:43 PM

Good job he had great footballers around him bother those games. A *****bag of a player.

If there’s one thing Stevenson can’t be described as, it’s a *****bag.

Horrendous shout

edinburghhibee
03-03-2020, 11:46 PM

Pathetic comment!!

Certainly not a *****bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baader
03-03-2020, 11:56 PM
Pathetic comment!!

Certainly not a *****bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly isn't that. He's a Hibs legend but it's probably looking like time up. He hasn't had any real competition for so long. Testament to his commitment but it's not doing him any help now.

Jdawg
03-03-2020, 11:58 PM
If there’s one thing Stevenson can’t be described as, it’s a *****bag.

Horrendous shout

*****bag in terms of when he’s asked to do anything other than defend. Horrendous ability going forward. Week after week teams leave him free as he has nothing to offer going forward.,

RossScott1991
03-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Yes we need a younger modern fullback. Stevenson be good to have as backup.

However that is as far as I will go with any criticism of the man, he has been a great servant for Hibs and is one of the nicest guys. I will not ever abuse the man , same with SDG or Mcgregor when the time comes.

lets have abit of class and not tear people down

jeffers
04-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Some poor comments on this thread. He's not had a good season, initially I put it down to his injury during pre-season, but maybe this season is just a season too far for him. At the very least he needs some competition.

Nevertheless he deserves a bit more respect than he is getting on here.

munchar
04-03-2020, 12:07 AM
He’s not finished. Just not good enough. Never has been.

Jdawg
04-03-2020, 12:07 AM
Some poor comments on this thread. He's not had a good season, initially I put it down to his injury during pre-season, but maybe this season is just a season too far for him. At the very least he needs some competition.

Nevertheless he deserves a bit more respect than he is getting on here. I put it down to his ability to go forward with any intent (defensively he is a warrior). He is lucky to have played in good teams in both cup wins.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 12:57 AM
I put it down to his ability to go forward with any intent (defensively he is a warrior). He is lucky to have played in good teams in both cup wins.

Aye? ... Well I suggest you dig out 'Time for Heroes' if you possess a copy ...... every time you watch that final Stevenson's performance gets better and better, he was immense. And as for the term you used to describe him ... you can ram that right up yer arse mate, the guy deserves far far more respect than that, no matter what your opinion of his ability his effort and commitment in a Hibs shirt has never been less than 100% in every game he has played for this club.

Baader
04-03-2020, 01:00 AM
He’s not finished. Just not good enough. Never has been.

Munch on munchar. I presume it's mushrooms you munch on...

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 01:11 AM
Pains me to say it but you are bang on. They left him wide open most of the first half knowing fine well that he offered no threat.

I've been pointing this out about Lewis for about six seasons now, never mind this game. There's a reason he gets more touches than any other Hibs player and it's because other teams prefer him to be the out ball because they know the chances of anything developing from him having it are next to nothing.

Stevenson's big strengths were always his energy, ability in the air for a wee guy, being a pretty decent defender and his total commitment. But these things are only ever enough if you can maintain them ... it seems to me that his physical ability has diminished from what it was and because of that his always held inability to make overlapping runs, beat a man or consistently put in accurate crosses are becoming more annoying when coupled with him finding it more difficult to match his opponent defensively, especially for pace.

So in short, yes his time is ending which perhaps might have been the case three seasons ago if Hibs hadn't continually failed to give him competition for his left back place. In fact we haven't for about 10 seasons, never mind 3.

givescotlandfreedom
04-03-2020, 01:20 AM
Good man. Sadly a championship player.

Squealing pig
04-03-2020, 01:54 AM
I think if Newell played tonight we’d have won , 2 free kicks Allan had 1st half were screaming for his left peg

Frazerbob
04-03-2020, 02:19 AM
If you watched that game in isolation, you’d be hard pushed to give a case for any of the starting 11 not being finished.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-03-2020, 02:35 AM
Good man. Sadly a championship player.

Yet was an ever present when we qualified for Europe after achieving our highest ever points tally.

Not his best game tonight, agreed. Championship player is nonsense though

PH91
04-03-2020, 02:49 AM
Yes, he was hearts man of the match along with Hanlon. Cup winners or not, garbage.

**** you

Both r on the way out but deserve far more respect

California-Hibs
04-03-2020, 03:42 AM
Big time. The sooner Newell's back the better. We better not go into next season with Stevenson at left back. Great servant but hes done

Vault Boy
04-03-2020, 04:23 AM
He's far from being the biggest issue at Hibs, however lack of true competition for his place for a number of years has been one of them.

I don't think he's gotten complacent, it's not in his nature - however the natural decline that can be expected of a player with age hasn't been meaningfully offset by a long term replacement.

He's probably been asked to play too many games, regardless of his form, physical or mental condition. It's only during the last few weeks that Newell has provided some decent cover in his position, but it's too little too late I feel. Stevenson needs to be providing the cover for somebody better next season if we're to achieve the goals we're after.

That said, there's been some real revisionism going on in some of the threads tonight. A lot of really ****ty posts about a Hibs legend. Yes, it feels crap to lose a derby so pathetically, but show the man the respect he deserves. It's easy to say he's no longer good enough without dragging his name through the dirt. He's done more for the club than any of us could ever dream of doing.

PeeJay
04-03-2020, 05:01 AM

"Having watched tonight’s game" aren't they all finished? No-body gets pass marks for last night's game surely - you can't pin this performance on Stevenson alone ... he was awful this evening, as bad as I have ever seen him perhaps, but he wasn't alone - this was a collective team failure ...

Onceinawhile
04-03-2020, 06:26 AM
Utterly bizarre after all these years we still haven’t been in the market for a decent left back to be honest, in my opinion

We have been. Year after year after year. Thing is, no matter how good their cv or their potential, none of them have dislodged him.

The next one probably won't find it so difficult though.

green with envy
04-03-2020, 10:31 AM

Can't believe you've just called him that. Shocking comment.

HibeeHibernian4
04-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Aye? ... Well I suggest you dig out 'Time for Heroes' if you possess a copy ...... every time you watch that final Stevenson's performance gets better and better, he was immense. And as for the term you used to describe him ... you can ram that right up yer arse mate, the guy deserves far far more respect than that, no matter what your opinion of his ability his effort and commitment in a Hibs shirt has never been less than 100% in every game he has played for this club.

He leaves Kenny Miller unmarked in the box and he hits the bar with a sitter of a header.

He pushes Waghorn over in the box and was lucky that the referee didn’t seem interested in giving them a penalty.

He was distinctly average in that final and lucky not to cost us more goals.

biotech
04-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Never a wing back. Might have some short term use as a defensive midfielder.

JimBHibees
04-03-2020, 10:37 AM

No genuine Hibby should ever say that about such a loyal servant to the club. Horrendous chat.

JimBHibees
04-03-2020, 10:38 AM
If you watched that game in isolation, you’d be hard pushed to give a case for any of the starting 11 not being finished.

Nail on the head.

FilipinoHibs
04-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Got into a few good positions but his crosses into the box were woeful. Hope Newell back soon. I would even have him at LB.

sean04
04-03-2020, 11:00 AM
The fact that hearts were happy for him to have the ball says it all. When he plays he last game I’ll be the 1st on my feet to show my appreciation for his years of service, unfortunately he is past it and offers nothing to the team. We are meant to be a top club, should be challenging for 3rd place, not with Stevenson

staunchhibby
04-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Getting a bit ott on the forum.Players getting called rats and s----bags.Wonder if some of them would use those terms for there friends?????

hibee_girl
04-03-2020, 11:07 AM
He’s not finished, he’ll be out the team again when Newell is fit but he’ll still be a good player to have in the squad when we need him.

Some of the things said about him on here are out of order tbh.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 11:08 AM
He leaves Kenny Miller unmarked in the box and he hits the bar with a sitter of a header.

He pushes Waghorn over in the box and was lucky that the referee didn’t seem interested in giving them a penalty.

He was distinctly average in that final and lucky not to cost us more goals.

Everybody left Kenny Miller unmarked in the box in that incident, so you can hardly pin that on Stevenson individually. Waghorn didn't get a penalty because there wasn't enough in Stevenson's so called 'push' to knock down me, never mind Waghorn.

He made a number of good tackles in that game, almost set up a goal for Cummings with a slide rule pass and with the typical guts and determination he has shown in every game for Hibs played on after a clattering head knock that would have seen some players off for a concussion assessment. He was anything but distinctly average in that game.

Peevemor
04-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Getting a bit ott on the forum.Players getting called rats and s----bags.Wonder if some of them would use those terms for there friends?????

More shameful than the team's performance last night.

HibeeHibernian4
04-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Everybody left Kenny Miller unmarked in the box in that incident, so you can hardly pin that on Stevenson individually. Waghorn didn't get a penalty because there wasn't enough in Stevenson's so called 'push' to knock down me, never mind Waghorn.

He made a number of good tackles in that game, almost set up a goal for Cummings with a slide rule pass and with the typical guts and determination he has shown in every game for Hibs played on after a clattering head knock that would have seen some players off for a concussion assessment. He was anything but distinctly average in that game.

Everybody else had a man and Stevenson’s initially was Miller’s. Completely outwitted him and should’ve scored, disastrous mistake from Stevenson and he already has his head in hands as the ball hits the bar. He was tremendously lucky that it didn’t cost us.

Since452
04-03-2020, 11:22 AM
He was poor last night but then so was everyone

WestStandWillie
04-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Yes, he couldn't cross the road.

ahahahahahahaha.....okay da.

Squad player at best now. Tonight was gash and should see the end at Hibs for quite a few.

Very much this

cabbageandribs1875
04-03-2020, 12:03 PM

wow, just wow

bigwheel
04-03-2020, 12:10 PM

Hibs fan of the year sorted ......

KeithTheHibby
04-03-2020, 12:28 PM
I like Lewis and will be remembered fondly in years to come given his length of service and of course his cup wins however I don't think he has what it takes to make the left back jersey his own any more.

I suspect JR will be looking at signing a first choice left back in the summer as we really need some serious competition in this area.

KeithTheHibby
04-03-2020, 12:30 PM

You can GTF with comments like that, should be ashamed of yourself.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Everybody else had a man and Stevenson’s initially was Miller’s. Completely outwitted him and should’ve scored, disastrous mistake from Stevenson and he already has his head in hands as the ball hits the bar. He was tremendously lucky that it didn’t cost us.

Yeh, you are right, Stevenson was marking Miller and he got away from him, fair enough. That doesn't take away his overall contribution which was huge, he was as responsible as anybody for us winning that day, you practically suggested he was a passenger winning a medal off the back of better team mates, which is nonsense. Our defence made three mistakes and got punished for two of them. Hanlon didn't close down Halliday allowing him to pile one in from 25 yards, McGregor had a nightmare at their first goal, but both went on to have good games .... am I missing something here, or is it just Stokes, Gray and McGinn who deserved medals?