PDA

View Full Version : Midfield lightweight again this season

Scottie
03-03-2020, 09:00 PM
No fight. No desire. No enforcer. No grit. No physicality.

Walked all over by a team that wanted it more tonight.

Blaster
03-03-2020, 09:03 PM
No fight. No desire. No enforcer. No grit. No physicality.

Walked all over by a team that wanted it more tonight.

Absolutely. Bullied all over the park again

Ozyhibby
03-03-2020, 09:20 PM
We had a numerical advantage in midfield but it made no difference. Docherty, Omeonga and Allan lost the battle with Damour and Bozanic. Shocking performance from all three. Can see why Sevco are not keen on Docherty if he bottles it in big games. Allan should be ashamed of his performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm_cabbaged
03-03-2020, 09:22 PM
yet the majority on here were delighted that SO started over SW

Golden Bear
03-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Hindsight is a great thing but we could have done with a greater physical presence in the middle of the park. Having said that, I liked tonight's team on paper.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2020, 09:33 PM

I was. And I still wouldn’t have picked Whittaker now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMac1988
03-03-2020, 09:37 PM

Omeonga was far from his best but at least he showed some effort and tried to track and close down players which is more than can be said for most of his team mates. Whittaker takes an age on the ball and would have been penny pinched at every opportunity.

The Tubs
03-03-2020, 09:39 PM
I’d like to see the statistics but it seemed we won plenty of the ball in the middle of the park. We just seemed to give it straight back to them.

MacGruber
03-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Hindsight is a great thing but we could have done with a greater physical presence in the middle of the park. Having said that, I liked tonight's team on paper.

How very true. Liked the team aswell but we just never learn. We go out and try and play the same way we do every other game. Try and replicate the cup win v Inverness, game v a St Johnstone etc. This is not every other game and it never will be. It's a battle first football match second. We need to understand that. No coincidence our best run v Hearts in recent times has centred round Bartley, McGregor, McGinn etc being involved, players with physical strength and fight.

03-03-2020, 09:54 PM
How very true. Liked the team aswell but we just never learn. We go out and try and play the same way we do every other game. Try and replicate the cup win v Inverness, game v a St Johnstone etc. This is not every other game and it never will be. It's a battle first football match second. We need to understand that. No coincidence our best run v Hearts in recent times has centred round Bartley, McGregor, McGinn etc being involved, players with physical strength and fight.

This. Great comment.

Allez Hibs
03-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Efe would have strolled that midfield tonight.

snedzuk
03-03-2020, 10:27 PM

This - looked like 22 v 11 earlier

PH91
03-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Agreed. On paper the team was what most wanted. In hindsight maybe whittaker in the middle would have been the better option, both omeonga and docherty are young guys and looked out their depth.

MacGruber
03-03-2020, 11:12 PM
We have went 3 at the back largely to accomodate a front 2 of McNulty and Doidge. McNulty is now offering very little. I'd have Doidge up top now flanked by Boyle and Horgan.

Midfield of

Boyle
Docherty
Allan
Halberg
Newell/Horgan

Only Newell.doesn't suit wide and Horgan doesn't suit 90 mins

Mixu1875
03-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Our three in midfield looked like little boys up against their two. Bullied all night.

MacGruber
04-03-2020, 05:27 AM
Too many small technical footballers in the heart of it for a derby, not enough muscle, steel and dig. Shopping list for next season has to include powerful athletic players even if that is at the expense of their footballing ability - until then we can look forward to being bullied out of the semi

Dmas
04-03-2020, 05:47 AM
Omeonga and McNulty should be forgotten about when loans are finished not good enough for where we want to be, McNulty was lucky he didn’t make it worse for us with standing on the hearts guy absolute stupidity was no need for it.

Been a big defender of Hanlon and Stevenson over the years they done themselves no favours last night, Hanlon especially struggled with Washington all night.

I hope the recruitment team are busy at work for the summer window we’re needing a lot of work and really need to get this one right

Brightside
04-03-2020, 05:59 AM
We have went 3 at the back largely to accomodate a front 2 of McNulty and Doidge. McNulty is now offering very little. I'd have Doidge up top now flanked by Boyle and Horgan.

Midfield of

Boyle
Docherty
Allan
Halberg
Newell/Horgan

Only Newell.doesn't suit wide and Horgan doesn't suit 90 mins

Horgan has about 3 mins in him .... and only going in a forward direction. He needs to give up the B&H.

chippy
04-03-2020, 06:36 AM
This. Great comment.

Totally correct

GreenCastle
04-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Been an issue since we let Bartley and Milligan go.

No CDM.

Agree battle needs won then we get the flair players on.

That team on paper looked fine but for a Derby fully suited Hearts.

Hallberg - McGregor - both played last Derby and we won.

MikeyS
04-03-2020, 07:58 AM
Omeonga was far from his best but at least he showed some effort and tried to track and close down players which is more than can be said for most of his team mates. Whittaker takes an age on the ball and would have been penny pinched at every opportunity.

Your description of Whittaker describes Omeonga's performance last night perfectly!

J-C
04-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Docherty had stage fright, I don't think he's played in a game this big before and it showed, he looked like a rabbit in headlights. Omeonga runs about, loses the ball, gets it back but does little with it apart from basic passes. Allan has been honking for weeks, tries too many fancy wee passes when they're not on and disappears from the game too often. You cannot afford to have all 3 midfielders being so bad all at the same time, thefront 2 were starved of service even though they had a lot of the ball in the middle.

Jones28
04-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Your description of Whittaker describes Omeonga's performance last night perfectly!

You mean Docherty?

Captain Trips
05-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Ross selects midfield for Tuesdays derby:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/E81hE59uIzqu8-DdHspB67bivaNNmwHDhZgJ2COTeTvdZkR7HaNuWsmkIq_DpIuT F3zOvszAxxA7_rjFKN47xWpJvJHrXp9mL90Gm_Gbi5RoaviQ