PDA

View Full Version : Could Coronavirus see the football season ended early?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

G B Young
02-03-2020, 10:35 AM
Sorry if this is a subject that's already been discussed, but I note Uefa are holding discussions today regarding Coronavirus and its possible impact on the European Championships.

With the virus having now hit Scotland and widespread infection across the UK now said to be 'highly likely' it seems to me that the government's suggestion that 'large-scale public events' may be cancelled is a very real possibility. Football matches would obviously come under that description and I saw pics of fans wearing masks at yesterday's Villa v City cup final.

I'm Spartacus
02-03-2020, 10:42 AM
I don't think they'll wrap it up early but I would expect games to be played behind closed doors - if anybody had any sense they would monitor over the next 2 weeks then broadcast the games on tv until the end of the season.

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Yes, it could, but at this point it seems unlikely. Depends how things pan out.

G B Young
02-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Without wishing to downplay the potential seriousness of the situation, it would certainly be a unique way to avoid relegation if the yams were spared the drop by a pandemic.

Jones28
02-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Without wishing to downplay the potential seriousness of the situation, it would certainly be a unique way to avoid relegation if the yams were spared the drop by a pandemic.

If they were to end the season tomorrow surely the standings would be kept as they are? Dundee United would be pretty unhappy at the idea of a fourth season in the championship having romped it this time around.

G B Young
02-03-2020, 10:50 AM
Hadn't realised there were so many sports events affected:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2020/0302/1119635-global-sport-calendar-severely-affected-by-coronavirus/

Watching Sky News just now and there's talk of the Olympics being held behind closed doors.

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Called it a month ago. People thought I was at it.

Diclonius
If they were to end the season tomorrow surely the standings would be kept as they are? Dundee United would be pretty unhappy at the idea of a fourth season in the championship having romped it this time around.

There would likely be legal challenges from Hearts and United among other clubs worldwide.

UEFA/FIFA would have to decide either way whether relagation/promotion was cancelled or not.

The 90+2
Hadn't realised there were so many sports events affected:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2020/0302/1119635-global-sport-calendar-severely-affected-by-coronavirus/

Watching Sky News just now and there's talk of the Olympics being held behind closed doors.

That’s a sponsors dream.

G B Young
02-03-2020, 10:52 AM

Think they've already been down for four seasons?

Onceinawhile
02-03-2020, 10:53 AM

I'd be pretty unhappy to have paid for season tickets and not seen any competitive football.

It's a slightly more serious flu ffs. Folk need to get a grip.

JXM73
02-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Cry wolf syndrome

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 10:55 AM
Cry wolf syndrome

Tell that to families who have lost loved ones. The more that get it the stronger the virus could get possibly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 10:55 AM

Hardly something to brag about.

stoneyburn hibs
02-03-2020, 10:56 AM

Now you have two uses for your hankie.

Andy74
02-03-2020, 10:57 AM
I'd be pretty unhappy to have paid for season tickets and not seen any competitive football.

I think currently it is significantly less serious than the flu?

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Hardly something to brag about.

Who’s bragging about it like?

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Who’s bragging about it like?

Sorry, I misunderstood the tone of your post. It had a wee bit of "I told you so" about it.

If you weren't bragging, fair enough.

I'm Spartacus
02-03-2020, 11:10 AM

Are you claiming to be ITK? :)

Jones28
02-03-2020, 11:14 AM

The mortality rate is higher than flu.

Jones28
02-03-2020, 11:15 AM
Think they've already been down for four seasons?

My mistake, 5

matty_f
02-03-2020, 11:48 AM

I think you have missed the point about the need to quarantine and contain the virus.

While it's not a massively deadly virus as far as I know, if you're making the comparison with the flu then imagine if you had the opportunity with the first flu viruses to contain it and prevent it spreading?

Flu does kill people, and costs the NHS and employers/employees money every year - not having Coronavirus to contend with as being the norm is important.

The urge to contain it isn't to prevent folk getting immediately or seriously ill, it's to stop it becoming a persistent illness.

Onceinawhile
02-03-2020, 11:51 AM

In terms of numbers of cases - yes far less serious.

In terms of deaths from it, we're looking at roughly 2% for Corona and 0.1% for flu.

So depends on your take on it if it's more or less serious.

H18S NX
02-03-2020, 11:59 AM

It's a slightly more serious flu ffs. Folk need to get a grip.Obviously you are not old or infirm m8,but a lot of us are.

Since90+2
02-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Tell that to families who have lost loved ones. The more that get it the stronger the virus could get possibly too.

Saying things like "the more than get it the stronger the virus could possibly get" is irresponsible and to be honest alot of nonsense unless you are a qualified virologist.

To counter your statement most of the reports I have read suggest it's likely to actually get weaker as the virus wants to survive and to do that it's hosts need to live.

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 12:02 PM
In terms of numbers of cases - yes far less serious.

In terms of deaths from it, we're looking at roughly 2% for Corona and 0.1% for flu.

So depends on your take on it if it's more or less serious.

Every death is serious, suicide will kill more people than Corona this year.

Setting aside the tragedy for those involved, we need some perspective. At 2% we are not talking about a huge amount of deaths, certainly nothing the NHS can't cope with.

We also have to consider that a significant amount of people will be dieing of something else already.

A lot of people are going straight to the worst case scenario too. We have to consider that the last global outbreak of flu a hundred years ago. Public health has improved significantly since then.

Keith_M
02-03-2020, 01:23 PM
Are there any other viruses we should be cancelling the season for?

I hear that there are already quite a high number of cases of EightYearsAnWonEfAll down Govan way.

I have a feeling that, if the season is allowed to finish, the number of cases could well be in the tens of thousands by June.

Jay
02-03-2020, 01:36 PM
It cant really be compared to the flu as those most vulnerable will have or should have had a flu vaccination a few months ago.

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 01:44 PM
It cant really be compared to the flu as those most vulnerable will have or should have had a flu vaccination a few months ago.

That is a very good point. Flu vaccines are relatively new though.

We didn't go into winter dreading catching the flu. In fact, it was a case of just getting on with it.

-Jonesy-
02-03-2020, 01:47 PM
With some of the armchair scientist views on display in this thread it’s no wonder we are staring at a global pandemic

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Best cancelling the EPL

then keep an eye on the other leagues

i don't think the Sky/BT bosses would be too happy though

:(

Diclonius
02-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Sturgeon just said she expects 80% of the country will be infected.

Radium
02-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Is there anything in the delay phase that would prevent games being played behind closed doors ?

Jay
02-03-2020, 02:02 PM
That is a very good point. Flu vaccines are relatively new though.

We didn't go into winter dreading catching the flu. In fact, it was a case of just getting on with it.

You think we should just be getting on with it instead of trying to protect the vulnerable for as long as we can until a vaccine is created?

Probably a question for the other thread really as its not related to fitba as such

hibby rae
02-03-2020, 02:05 PM

50-80%. She did also say that was a worst case scenario, and it's estimated only 4% would require hospitalisation. This is based on the pattern seen in China though.

danhibees1875
02-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Maybe that's been said as well, but the only 80% reference I can see is from the chief medical officer and it sounds more like 80% of those infected will just have mild illness.

Ozyhibby
02-03-2020, 02:10 PM
You think we should just be getting on with it instead of trying to protect the vulnerable for as long as we can until a vaccine is created?

Probably a question for the other thread really as its not related to fitba as such

Economic downturns cost lives as well though. Shutting the economy will be dreadful for our public services.

SRHibs
02-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Every death is serious, suicide will kill more people than Corona this year.

Setting aside the tragedy for those involved, we need some perspective. At 2% we are not talking about a huge amount of deaths, certainly nothing the NHS can't cope with.

We also have to consider that a significant amount of people will be dieing of something else already.

A lot of people are going straight to the worst case scenario too. We have to consider that the last global outbreak of flu a hundred years ago. Public health has improved significantly since then.

A fifth of the people who get it have severe illness, over 5% get critically ill. It's not only people who have Coronavirus who will die, many who need health care for other conditions will suffer as the hospitals struggle to cope.

neil7908
02-03-2020, 02:14 PM

Good to know where your priorities lie. Pretty poor imo to be complaining about losing a few quid (which is still going to Hibs anyway) when people would be dying.

Too many folk with an I'm Alright Jack attitude on here.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2020, 02:18 PM

'We would expect at least 80% of people to have a very mild illness that they will recover quickly from. It's a very small number of people who would need hospitalisation," she said.'

Is that the quote you mean? I read that as meaning 80% of those infected will get a mild illness rather than 80% of the population will get infected. There may be something else I haven't seen though.

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Obviously you are not old or infirm m8,but a lot of us are.

this 👍

hibbyfraelibby
02-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Those of you old enough will remember the Aberdeen typoid outbreak (never touched Fray Bentos since) when we had games postponed not the season end prematurely.

Chill and dont panic or make up scare stories.

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 02:27 PM
With some of the armchair scientist views on display in this thread it’s no wonder we are staring at a global pandemic

How does that work?

Those of you old enough will remember the Aberdeen typoid outbreak (never touched Fray Bentos since) when we had games postponed not the season end prematurely.

Chill and dont panic or make up scare stories.

Nail hit on head.

No, we do what we can, face up to it and don't panic. Of course I think we should be protecting those at risk, but everything has to have a sense of proportion.

People constant squawking about how terrible things could be aren't helping the situation at all. Let's brace ourselves for some uncomfortable times, and do our best.

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 02:39 PM
A fifth of the people who get it have severe illness, over 5% get critically ill. It's not only people who have Coronavirus who will die, many who need health care for other conditions will suffer as the hospitals struggle to cope.

I can't see how you can reach that conclusion based on those figures.

How have you arrived at yiur conclusion we can't cope? Are you just speculating, or are you going on any independent evidence?

Ozyhibby
02-03-2020, 02:45 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200302/7038552582c43092bbc30e576642049f.jpg

My mind has now been put totally at ease now that I know the SFA is involved. Scotland is safe.[emoji849]

Bostonhibby
02-03-2020, 02:49 PM

My mind has now been put totally at ease now that I know the SFA is involved. Scotland is safe.[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOh good, I wouldn't trust them to take my dog for a walk even though it's been dead for a while now.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

G B Young
02-03-2020, 03:21 PM

The way that's worded you sense that a full shutdown of football across the UK could be triggered in the not too distant future:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51709163

CentreLine
02-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Maybe that's been said as well, but the only 80% reference I can see is from the chief medical officer and it sounds more like 80% of those infected will just have mild illness.

Chief medical officer said on the lunch time news that they expect “80% of the population” to catch the virus at some point. Based on the manner of spread in China as a worst case scenario

2% mortality would be 100000 at that rate

Pretty Boy
02-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Chief medical officer said on the lunch time news that they expect “80% of the population” to catch the virus at some point. Based on the manner of spread in China as a worst case scenario

What time frame was given for that figure? Considering it has take 2 months to infect 0.09% of the Chinese population I assume we are talking about a period of several decades?

Cataplana
02-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Remember that not everyone wilk get sick at the same time. This is not a Stephen King novel.

lapsedhibee
02-03-2020, 04:32 PM
What time frame was given for that figure? Considering it has take 2 months to infect 0.09% of the Chinese population I assume we are talking about a period of several decades?

China tried a bit harder than singing Happy Birthday to contain it though, so maybe not completely easy to draw comparisons.

Diclonius
02-03-2020, 04:33 PM
I have my doubts that Euro 2020 will be going ahead.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2020, 04:44 PM
I have my doubts that Euro 2020 will be going ahead.

Especially with this ridiculous tournament spanning multiple counties.

Keith_M
02-03-2020, 04:57 PM

Yep, cos posters on a football board are the first people that politicians go to before deciding on their approach to a crisis.

Oi, China, why did you listen to us!!!

jonty
02-03-2020, 05:04 PM
An early shutdown would be a big financial hit to the clubs?
Would the SPL/SPFL/SFA (or whatever they are called nowadays - ive lost track) cover some of the costs?

sambajustice
02-03-2020, 05:09 PM
Are bird flu and swine flu still things??

Keith_M
02-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Are bird flu and swine flu still things??

Dunno about that but I've just arrived home from work and can confirm that Mad Cow Disease is alive and kicking.

PatHead
02-03-2020, 05:17 PM
The other thing is that players could get it decimating squads.

Keith_M
02-03-2020, 05:20 PM
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-frq7ypWqgaQ/T15vj22geJI/AAAAAAAAAeg/YuKp1mgJbl4/s1600/wad.jpg

Fuzzywuzzy
02-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Sure I read somewhere budge had already been querying voiding the season

Eyrie
02-03-2020, 06:46 PM
There's too much at stake for football clubs, competitions, sponsors and TV companies for everything to be cancelled.

Worst case scenario would be playing games behind closed doors with 2-3 matches being televised each week. That gives the people in self isolation something to watch.

danhibees1875
02-03-2020, 06:52 PM
There's too much at stake for football clubs, competitions, sponsors and TV companies for everything to be cancelled.

Worst case scenario would be playing games behind closed doors with 2-3 matches being televised each week. That gives the people in self isolation something to watch.

2 weeks of self isolation with round the clock live football?

Wee Effen Bee
02-03-2020, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=Andy74;6103862]I think currently it is significantly less serious than the flu?
In the US, flu is way more serious at the moment!
[/https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html

shetlandhibee
02-03-2020, 07:03 PM

Worst case scenario would be playing games behind closed doors with 2-3 matches being televised each week. That gives the people in self isolation something to watch.:top marksi agree worst case scenario :agree:

judas
02-03-2020, 07:04 PM
I would volunteer to contract Coronavirus if it meant the Yams season not being saved by it.

Kojock
02-03-2020, 07:10 PM
I’m that worried I’ve stopped drinking Corona Lager. You can’t be too careful.

Ozyhibby
02-03-2020, 07:12 PM
An early shutdown would be a big financial hit to the clubs?
Would the SPL/SPFL/SFA (or whatever they are called nowadays - ive lost track) cover some of the costs?

No they couldn’t because they already distribute their money to the clubs.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I would volunteer to contract Coronavirus if it meant the Yams season not being saved by it.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood the tone of your post. It had a wee bit of "I told you so" about it.

If you weren't bragging, fair enough.

Not at all buddy. Would be the last thing to brag about 👍

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Are you claiming to be ITK? :)

😁 I know it’s serious and a antidote isn’t going to be found short term. There’s also a fear it’s going to get worse the more people contract it.

There’s a sort of opinion that it’s being over dramatised when the opposite is the truth.

erin go bragh
02-03-2020, 07:34 PM
BREAKING: Until further notice, all matches in the Swiss Super League and Swiss Challenge League are postponed due to the #Coronavirus outbreak.

The earliest possible return for the league will be on April 3rd unless the current government restrictions are extended.

WoreTheGreen
02-03-2020, 07:57 PM
BREAKING: Until further notice, all matches in the Swiss Super League and Swiss Challenge League are postponed due to the #Coronavirus outbreak.

The earliest possible return for the league will be on April 3rd unless the current government restrictions are extended.
Is it still safe to eat a toblerone

Andy74
02-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Depends what angle you bite into it.

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 08:11 PM

I would watch what you’re doing.

WoreTheGreen
02-03-2020, 08:19 PM
It’s all good I cut a hole in my mask but the thing is I f—-/g hate them anyway

Andy74
02-03-2020, 08:24 PM
It’s all good I cut a hole in my mask but the thing is I f—-/g hate them anyway

I’ve been less keen on them since January.

Irish_Steve
02-03-2020, 08:28 PM
I’m that worried I’ve stopped drinking Corona Lager. You can’t be too careful.

I read a report the other day that sales of Corona were down and that they were losing a six figure sum since the virus hit the news - absolutely bonkers

The Spaceman
02-03-2020, 08:47 PM
I read a report the other day that sales of Corona were down and that they were losing a six figure sum since the virus hit the news - absolutely bonkers

Much worse than that - Corona have lost £132 million in sales since the news broke...:eek:

Barney McGrew
02-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Much worse than that - Corona have lost £132 million in sales since the news broke...:eek:

It’s the parent company that have lost the sales.....primarily down to the cancellation of the Chinese New Year celebrations and the lockdowns in China. It’s across all of their brands, Corona is only one of them.

danhibees1875
02-03-2020, 09:25 PM
It’s the parent company that have lost the sales.....primarily down to the cancellation of the Chinese New Year celebrations and the lockdowns in China. It’s across all of their brands, Corona is only one of them.

Some reports saying Corona sales generally are 5% up. :dunno:

Hibby Bairn
02-03-2020, 09:26 PM

Well that is absolute nonsense. There must be a some element of mis-quoting in there somewhere. 100,000 people will not die in Scotland.

Edit: I’ve just heard her. She did say 80% of the population will be infected. She’s obviously the expert but I think she is talking nonsense. Last I heard 80% of the Chinese population have not been infected. That would be about 900 million people 😳

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2020, 09:52 PM

That's not what she said at all but continue spreading panic if that's what u enjoy..
That's what they are preparing for which is severe worst case scenario

CentreLine
02-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Well that is absolute nonsense. There must be a some element of mis-quoting in there somewhere. 100,000 people will not die in Scotland.

Edit: I’ve just heard her. She did say 80% of the population will be infected. She’s obviously the expert but I think she is talking nonsense. Last I heard 80% of the Chinese population have not been infected. That would be about 900 million people 😳

100,000 deaths is only 40,000 less Scots than died in WWI. Around 6,000,000 in total died fighting WWI but around 80,000,000 died from avian flu ( they called it Spanish flu) in 1918. More than 10 times as many as died in the Great War. That is why scientists are afraid of flu and that is why nobody should be complacent about Coronavirus

wpj
02-03-2020, 10:38 PM
My mistake, 5

Ruins the Frankie Valli puns then

wpj
02-03-2020, 11:04 PM
I hope my above post hasn't offended, I work in one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK and we make careless jokes all day long and are exposed to all kinds of face to face contact, poo blood and pee (it's a lab), even before this we joke about it all, at the moment we are all joking more than usual. My GP practice has stopped all non urgent appointments and I have to pick up my script after calling them from the door. The wonderful staff in admin jobs deserve so much praise and are undervalued and will keep things going.

The 90+2
02-03-2020, 11:32 PM
I hope my above post hasn't offended, I work in one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK and we make careless jokes all day long and are exposed to all kinds of face to face contact, poo blood and pee (it's a lab), even before this we joke about it all, at the moment we are all joking more than usual. My GP practice has stopped all non urgent appointments and I have to pick up my script after calling them from the door. The wonderful staff in admin jobs deserve so much praise and are undervalued and will keep things going.

I don’t think anyone would be seriously offended and if they do then it’s more about them than you mate. Let’s all concentrate on tomorrow and the team treating it like it’s the last derby ever and doing over twirly scarf rover driving Lithuanian bankas. We are due them a complete pumping.

Swedish hibee
03-03-2020, 12:57 AM
I'm worried about the euros.. I'm going I hope!

Cataplana
03-03-2020, 07:34 AM
100,000 deaths is only 40,000 less Scots than died in WWI. Around 6,000,000 in total died fighting WWI but around 80,000,000 died from avian flu ( they called it Spanish flu) in 1918. More than 10 times as many as died in the Great War. That is why scientists are afraid of flu and that is why nobody should be complacent about Coronavirus

That is not the number of people who are predicted to die. Fact.

Or maybe it is, what is your source?

CentreLine
03-03-2020, 08:19 AM
That is not the number of people who are predicted to die. Fact.

Or maybe it is, what is your source?

Yes you are correct. I suppose you have to read the whole thread to get to those numbers. Taking the various 2% figures quoted on here against the “worst case scenario” given by our Chief Medical Officer and a population of 5.4 million is actually 108,000

I completely agree it is most unlikely that number will die but complacency about the spread of a virus can only help that virus spread. Who wants to be close to one of, let’s say, 25,000 fatalities because they were complacent.

In South Korea, a leader of a religious sect is being investigated for murder because he wanted to hide the names of people in his sect who may have had the virus. Didn’t seem to think it was important. Currently they have nearly 4000 known cases and 21 known deaths. That’s a 0.5% death rate so for some people that’s okay. Personally I think it’s desperately sad fir 21 families.

Now I am not for cancelling events or closing businesses but the reality is that we should all be thinking about personal hygiene and be aware of any decline in health. It’s not too much to achieve

Since90+2
03-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Yes you are correct. I suppose you have to read the whole thread to get to those numbers. Taking the various 2% figures quoted on here against the “worst case scenario” given by our Chief Medical Officer and a population of 5.4 million is actually 1,008,000

I

That's 20% not 2%.

Forza Fred
03-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Taken a bit more serious in Oz than on this thread.

We’ve had a couple of deaths, and reports on incoming travellers....not so much from China as certain bans are in place, but from Iran and Italy...spreading the virus unwittingly.

Relatives of those infected, but displaying no symptoms, on voluntary house quarantine for 14 days.

Economic effects will be almost as bad as physical losses, and could trigger a recession.

Pardon the pun, but the possible effects are not to be sneezed at!

I would be very surprised if it was ‘business as usual, in a couple of months or so

Visited the quack today on an unrelated matter and as a standard warning to all patients, he passed on the advice to basically, wash yer paws frequently, don’t touch your face, and avoid crowded situations.

I told him I’ll take his advice from Saturday as I have tickets for Friday’s game between the Matildas and Vietnam for Olympic qualifacation...but the Olympics themselves are looking a bit shooglie.

CentreLine
03-03-2020, 09:12 AM
That's 20% not 2%.

😷oops 🤣. Couldn’t see the keyboard for this damn mask and rubber gloved over reaction to the virus. Yep put too many zeros on there. Just going to acknowledge I got that wrong. Suppose I’d best correct it. After all 108000 is till a huge figure.

Amended now 👍🏻

EI255
03-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Certainly worried about my summer holiday now. Probably 50/50 if it goes ahead.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Begbie79
03-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Certainly worried about my summer holiday now. Probably 50/50 if it goes ahead.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

I travel to Dubai on Thursday for 4 days then onto Thailand on Monday for a week and cant wait. madness cancelling holidays at this stage.

wpj
03-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Cancelled Malta next month, just dont need the stress. Will hopefully go somewhere cheap and cheerfull in Autumn.

Peevemor
03-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Anyone else concerned about 20k supporters inside ER tonight being put at risk by Stendel waving his tongue all over the shop?

lapsedhibee
03-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Anyone else concerned about 20k supporters inside ER tonight being put at risk by Stendel waving his tongue all over the shop?

No. If he keeps his mouth open, the amount of disinfectant breath he will emit will produce a net benefit.

Callum_62
03-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Cancelled Malta next month, just dont need the stress. Will hopefully go somewhere cheap and cheerfull in Autumn.But corona virus is in Scotland, don't we have as much chance catching here than Malta?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

timewilltell
03-03-2020, 12:53 PM

Sure you did.......:wink:

Peevemor
03-03-2020, 12:56 PM
No. If he keeps his mouth open, the amount of disinfectant breath he will emit will produce a net benefit.

Depends what time he starts on the Toilet Duck.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Nearly spat my coffee out. Lol

judas
03-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Some of the misinformation on this thread has been a hoot.

I heard that 100% of people will be infected and in more acute cases, one might loses ones ***** and/or balls.

lapsedhibee
03-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Some of the misinformation on this thread has been a hoot.

I heard that 100% of people will be infected and in more acute cases, one might loses ones ***** and/or balls.

Waterstones has lost a lot of custom because some broadcasters have insisted on calling it novel coronavirus. :agree:

wpj
03-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Cancelled Malta next month, just dont need the stress. Will hopefully go somewhere cheap and cheerfull in Autumn.

I have major underlying health problems, I live in England and have tremendous healthcare here. I dont doubt for a minute Malta could look after me. It's my choice to cancel. Like I say and hope, I can go away later. We all need to make our own choices in life, this is mine 👍

The 90+2
03-03-2020, 02:44 PM
I have major underlying health problems, I live in England and have tremendous healthcare here. I dont doubt for a minute Malta could look after me. It's my choice to cancel. Like I say and hope, I can go away later. We all need to make our own choices in life, this is mine 👍

You don’t need to explain to anyone. I hope you stay healthy 💚

wpj
03-03-2020, 02:44 PM
But corona virus is in Scotland, don't we have as much chance catching here than Malta?

Sorry replied to my own post you get the gist though

wpj
03-03-2020, 02:46 PM
You don’t need to explain to anyone. I hope you stay healthy 💚

Thanks, a win tonight will be a tonic

Pretty Boy
03-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Handshakes before and after the game suspended with immediate effect.

CentreLine
03-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Handshakes before and after the game suspended with immediate effect.

Maybe we’ll see less gobbing on the pitch too?

Callum_62
03-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Sorry replied to my own post you get the gist though[emoji106] Absolutely, all have to make choices. Hope you can get away at a later date

G B Young
05-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Doncaster now admitting the season could be in jeopardy. Chimes with what Sturgeon said earlier.

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 01:43 PM
Doncaster now admitting the season could be in jeopardy. Chimes with what Sturgeon said earlier.

Scaremongering, Or

Ian Maxwell, Scottish FA chief executive, said: “Together with our colleagues at the SPFL, we have written to our members to underline that we will do everything possible to complete fixtures, whilst taking fully on board the Government’s expert advice and the guidance of our medical consultant, Dr John MacLean.
“We have also advised our clubs of the absolute necessity of following hygiene best practice at stadiums, training grounds and other premises, as well as providing information to staff, fans, contractors, broadcasters and other media entering club premises.”

The joint statement pointed out that the UK government viewed the home, schools and workplace as a bigger potential contributory factor to spreading the virus than sporting events.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/sfa-and-spfl-will-endeavour-to-complete-season-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

G B Young
05-03-2020, 03:42 PM
I don't get any sense of scaremongering, more an attempt to avoid prompting panic. Hopefully I'm wrong but the way these statements are worded I sense things are only headed one way and the next step will be closed doors games or cancellation.

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 03:45 PM
I don't get any sense of scaremongering, more an attempt to avoid prompting panic. Hopefully I'm wrong but the way these statements are worded I sense things are only headed one way and the next step will be closed doors games or cancellation.

The only scaremongering I see is your posts suggesting that the season will be cancelled.

Spike Mandela
05-03-2020, 03:49 PM
Hot water in the bogs at ER would be helpful.

G B Young
05-03-2020, 03:49 PM
The only scaremongering I see is your posts suggesting that the season will be cancelled.

You dint hink that's even a remote possibility? I think it's very much on the agenda for as long as the virus continues to gather pace.

Hibbyradge
05-03-2020, 03:52 PM
You dint hink that's even a remote possibility? I think it's very much on the agenda for as long as the virus continues to gather pace.

I agree, it's definitely a possibility. They've postponed the launch of the new James Bond film to help stop the spread, but there will be a number of contingencies before it gets to that stage, playing behind closed doors being an obvious one.

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 04:00 PM
If behind closed doors you would have to presume the government or whoever made the rule about broadcasting 3pm on a sat afternoon will be relaxed as will club channels only showing games live to oversees viewers. It would be a decent way of clawing some of the potential loss of revenue back although I wouldn’t want 1000s of huns being on our database having to subscribe to Hibs tv to watch a match after the split.

DH1875
05-03-2020, 04:02 PM
The way things look and have worked out I'm not gonna be at a game until the Scotland game in 3 weeks time. Hopefully by then we will have a better idea of what's going on and what's happening. Then I'll buy my tickets for the semi.

DH1875
05-03-2020, 04:06 PM
If behind closed doors you would have to presume the government or whoever made the rule about broadcasting 3pm on a sat afternoon will be relaxed as will club channels only showing games live to oversees viewers. It would be a decent way of clawing some of the potential loss of revenue back although I wouldn’t want 1000s of huns being on our database having to subscribe to Hibs tv to watch a match after the split.

Why would they relax the 3pm rule? Also, all these games on the telly, how they getting there? If we've all to stay at home surely that applies to cameramen, sound engineers, production runners/staff etc...

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 04:10 PM
Why would they relax the 3pm rule? Also, all these games on the telly, how they getting there? If we've all to stay at home surely that applies to cameramen, sound engineers, production runners/staff etc...

Because the 3pm rule is to encourage people to attend games. It won’t apply to vetted professionals no, otherwise the players wouldn’t play. It’s to stop the virus spreading in large crowded areas, obviously.

Irish_Steve
05-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Because the 3pm rule is to encourage people to attend games. It won’t apply to vetted professionals no, otherwise the players wouldn’t play. It’s to stop the virus spreading in large crowded areas, obviously.

So vetted professionals can`t get the virus? That`s the daftest thing I`ve read on here for a while!

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2020, 04:24 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157456950512284&id=748667283

danhibees1875
05-03-2020, 04:26 PM
So vetted professionals can`t get the virus? That`s the daftest thing I`ve read on here for a while!

I think the point is that 20,000 people sitting next to each other gives a more likely scenario of a virus spreading from one to many rather than having 20 people broadcast the game.

Frankhfc
05-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Yours is probably the daftest.

The behind closed doors staff would have to be tested beforehand. Very likely that everyone involved would be vetted for the virus prior to it taking place.

Pretty Boy
05-03-2020, 04:42 PM
I think the point is that 20,000 people sitting next to each other gives a more likely scenario of a virus spreading from one to many rather than having 20 people broadcast the game.

The CMO was saying today the risk at open air sporting events is, relatively speaking, low. Of course putting 10K people in one place is never risk free under the circumstances but the suggestion was simply going about your day to day life in more enclosed spaces carries a, again generally speaking, higher risk.

Irish_Steve
05-03-2020, 04:57 PM

The behind closed doors staff would have to be tested beforehand. Very likely that everyone involved would be vetted for the virus prior to it taking place.

Are they going to be there for the whole incubation period then, they may get a bit bored

DH1875
05-03-2020, 05:01 PM
What if a player, team, manager get it? How do they play their fixtures?
I heard that the team from the place in China where this all started from (cannae spell it) have been stuck in Spain since January and still can't get home.

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Professional footballers can’t get the virus then? What’s the whole point in playing behind closed doors if they can.

It’s to stop the virus spreading in crowds, it’s not to shut down everything. If you can’t get your head around that then I suggest it’s you that’s daft.

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Exactly. You can’t exactly vet 5,000 to 50,000 randoms.

People actually think playing a game behind closed doors will consist of no camera or commentators and refreshing teletext to see what the score was about 7 at night? It’s not as if the pink can be delivered if random paperboy can catch it 😁

It would be an advertisement dream for tv channels also.

Peevemor
05-03-2020, 05:30 PM
The CMO was saying today the risk at open air sporting events is, relatively speaking, low. Of course putting 10K people in one place is never risk free under the circumstances but the suggestion was simply going about your day to day life in more enclosed spaces carries a, again generally speaking, higher risk.

I think watching a match in itself might be pretty low risk, but getting people to and from the ground - with maybe the majority using public transport, would help spread contagion splendidly well.

hibee_girl
05-03-2020, 05:36 PM
I think watching a match in itself might be pretty low risk, but getting people to and from the ground - with maybe the majority using public transport, would help spread contagion splendidly well.

That’s what they were just saying ok the news regarding the rugby this weekend.

Open air events are low risk but it’s the gathering in pubs and restaurants etc beforehand that are a bigger risk.

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 05:39 PM
That’s what they were just saying ok the news regarding the rugby this weekend.

Open air events are low risk but it’s the gathering in pubs and restaurants etc beforehand that are a bigger risk.

My works borderline placing working from home for people who use public transport and in my line of work they will definitely know how severe the risks are.

oxymoron
05-03-2020, 05:44 PM

You are missing the point of why this is serious. Yes, we get seasonal and non-seasonal flu every year. Yes people die of flu every year, but the situation here is distinct:

We plan for seasonal flu and mitigate it by the use of the flu vaccination programme (incidentally, and in case you are wondering, the flu 'jab' is the best guess of the strain(s) of flu we are likely to encounter based on what happened in Australia during their last winter. Thats why sometimes it doesn't work - the wrong strain prediction. It will not work for this new, unknown strain). The jab ensures that those most vulnerable, and those who work with them are protected. In this instance, this strain is more contagious, so has many unknown qualities to it, and so will affect many more people over a shorter time, with potential catastrophic impact on not just the volumes affected, but the infrastructure of our society for a time. There will be likely supply chain impacts, affecting shops and fuel availability, as well as medicine shortages given the demand on supplies.

So, this is serious for many more reasons than 'its just flu'. Football will be shut down if as predicted it gets to the feared levels (now estimated to be weeks rather than the previous estimated months), as well as schools, colleges and universities being shut. Flights will be grounded, Edinburgh's tourist industry will come to a shuddering halt and the economic impact will be sever for dependant small businesses.

So, it is just flu, and those of us with no underlying health conditions may, at worst, be debilitated for a few weeks. Those very young, very old and those with underlying vulnerabilities will be very much at risk. The current estimates are about 90,000 seriously affected in Lothian alone, with up to 20% of these could be fatal.

Batton down the hatches guys...and don't be daft enough to go to the football if it gets bad. And nae kissing each other either.

SquashedFrogg
05-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Professional footballers can’t get the virus then? What’s the whole point in playing behind closed doors if they can.

It’s to stop the virus spreading in crowds, it’s not to shut down everything. If you can’t get your head around that then I suggest it’s you that’s daft.

Aye but....what about the seaguls? Are they no gonna get it? Ever tested a seagull for the flu? Effing nightmare!

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Aye but....what about the seaguls? Are they no gonna get it? Ever tested a seagull for the flu? Effing nightmare!

I genuinely don’t think it’s a laughing matter if you have young children or parents that are vulnerable. I’m in both camps having a 1 year old and a family member got a marrow transplant recently.

hibbyfraelibby
05-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Window licking and puddle drinking are now on the list of activities to be avoided in light of the cross contamination risk such pastimes pose.

As a result the Gorgie Dalry area of Edinburgh is to be placed in immediate lock down, pot holes drained and glass curtains drawn until further notice

Thank goodness spoon burning destroys germs😉

oxymoron
05-03-2020, 06:02 PM
I genuinely don’t think it’s a laughing matter if you have young children or parents that are vulnerable. I’m in both camps having a 1 year old and a family member got a marrow transplant recently.

spot on mate!

best we know about mitigation is hygiene - handwashing etc. and it is highly likely that you and some of your family will get this (between 50-80% of the population will be affected) so you will need to be ruthless about protecting them, by a strict regime of contact. Keep them out of public spaces, public transport etc. as much as possible. Good luck mate!

SquashedFrogg
05-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Of course it's no laughing matter. I was just trying to lighten the mood after a turbulent week 👍

And for the record. The seagulls deserve everything they get.

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 06:20 PM
spot on mate!

best we know about mitigation is hygiene - handwashing etc. and it is highly likely that you and some of your family will get this (between 50-80% of the population will be affected) so you will need to be ruthless about protecting them, by a strict regime of contact. Keep them out of public spaces, public transport etc. as much as possible. Good luck mate!

Thanks mate, sound advice. 👍

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Of course it's no laughing matter. I was just trying to lighten the mood after a turbulent week 👍

And for the record. The seagulls deserve everything they get.

I know matey. Apologies 💚

SquashedFrogg
05-03-2020, 06:24 PM
I know matey. Apologies 💚

All good mate.

Irish_Steve
05-03-2020, 06:35 PM
Even if you have been vetted, you can still get the virus and in this case, yes, from toilet seats.

G B Young
05-03-2020, 06:35 PM
You are missing the point of why this is serious. Yes, we get seasonal and non-seasonal flu every year. Yes people die of flu every year, but the situation here is distinct:

We plan for seasonal flu and mitigate it by the use of the flu vaccination programme (incidentally, and in case you are wondering, the flu 'jab' is the best guess of the strain(s) of flu we are likely to encounter based on what happened in Australia during their last winter. Thats why sometimes it doesn't work - the wrong strain prediction. It will not work for this new, unknown strain). The jab ensures that those most vulnerable, and those who work with them are protected. In this instance, this strain is more contagious, so has many unknown qualities to it, and so will affect many more people over a shorter time, with potential catastrophic impact on not just the volumes affected, but the infrastructure of our society for a time. There will be likely supply chain impacts, affecting shops and fuel availability, as well as medicine shortages given the demand on supplies.

So, this is serious for many more reasons than 'its just flu'. Football will be shut down if as predicted it gets to the feared levels (now estimated to be weeks rather than the previous estimated months), as well as schools, colleges and universities being shut. Flights will be grounded, Edinburgh's tourist industry will come to a shuddering halt and the economic impact will be sever for dependant small businesses.

So, it is just flu, and those of us with no underlying health conditions may, at worst, be debilitated for a few weeks. Those very young, very old and those with underlying vulnerabilities will be very much at risk. The current estimates are about 90,000 seriously affected in Lothian alone, with up to 20% of these could be fatal.

Batton down the hatches guys...and don't be daft enough to go to the football if it gets bad. And nae kissing each other either.

Or possibly even days?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51750972

G B Young
05-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Pre-match handshakes now ditched by the Premier League:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51760339

Keith_M
05-03-2020, 06:58 PM

Should we all stop using public transport to get to and from work?

Come to that, should I refuse to go into the office every day?

neil7908
05-03-2020, 07:19 PM

Probably not right now but the time is likely coming soon

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 07:23 PM

That’s going to be the advice pretty soon if you see my posts above.

The 90+2
05-03-2020, 07:23 PM
All good mate.

👍

calumhibee1
05-03-2020, 07:26 PM
My works borderline placing working from home for people who use public transport and in my line of work they will definitely know how severe the risks are.

I hope my work adopts this approach because I ****ing love working from home. Would have saved me having to deal with a customer face-to-face today who was absolutely fuming when he came in only to be tipped over the edge by the fact he was met at our front counter by a lassie dressed as a cat, face paint and all because it was World ****ing Book Day who's ****ing useless at her job. :greengrin

Peevemor
05-03-2020, 07:33 PM

Come to that, should I refuse to go into the office every day?I'd say that a sensible view would be to avoid unnecessary trips and gatherings.

I don't know how serious this thing really is. If myself and my immediate family were all infected would we just feel a bit rough for a week then crack on as normal afterward? - I've honestly no idea.

The powers that be (worldwide) seem to be taking it very seriously so I'm inclined to go along with the measures they suggest.

SquashedFrogg
05-03-2020, 07:40 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157456950512284&id=748667283

Funnily enough. I gave up Facebook about 5 years ago. I forget it still exists.

oxymoron
05-03-2020, 07:49 PM
big risks are obviously public gatherings, public transport, and workplaces that connect people (offices, public services, shops etc.). The latter is hard to avoid unless there is an agreed shut-down, or you have the kind of job that allows you to work from home. Those that can will I suspect be advised to encourage that soon. The govt will be soon forced to insist on the shutting down of gatherings like football, concerts etc. Those who can avoid public transport will, those who cant, need to be very careful about what they touch and how close they get to others - and take something to wash your hands. Hand-gels re mostly sold out so moist toilet wipes will do at a pinch - most are not anti-bacterial, but they will wash your hands pretty effectively on the move.

Hermit Crab
05-03-2020, 07:50 PM
On radio today that sporting events in the uk won't be cancelled due to it being a low risk of contracting the disease at open air events.

CentreLine
05-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Firstly, this virus is not Flu and is not a form of flu. It’s only connection to flu is that it is a virus and spreads in much the same way.
What it is is a strain of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome related Coronavirus. (SARS)

According to Wikipedia (yes I know) when another strain of the same virus kicked off in Southeast Asia and spread to other parts of the world in 2002, just short of 10% of the 8098 known cases died. A total 778.

With this outbreak, it’s kind of hard to get accurate figures from the Far East but so far more than 4% of 2706 people known to have contracted this virus in Italy have passed away.

Now the medical advice is to wash your hands regularly and catch coughs and sneezes in a paper tissue which should be disposed of in a bin. Add to that what is so hard about looking after our own hygiene for the benefit of all. It’s not really such a hardship surely for people to do what should come naturally anyway???

No one is advocating people carrying a bell to ring and crying out unclean. Just simple steps of common decency.

Mind you, despite players being discouraged from shaking hands and such pre match, they still allow the disgusting habits of gobbing on the pitch and clearing their noses with great gusto. When they put a stop to that then maybe we can think of progressing to closed door games.

oxymoron
05-03-2020, 07:56 PM
Firstly, this virus is not Flu and is not a form of flu. It’s only connection to flu is that it is a virus and spreads in much the same way.
What it is is a strain of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome related Coronavirus. (SARS)

According to Wikipedia (yes I know) when another strain of the same virus kicked off in Southeast Asia and spread to other parts of the world in 2002, just short of 10% of the 8098 known cases died. A total 778.

With this out take, it’s kind of hard to get accurate figures from the Far East but so far more than 4% of 2069 people known to have contracted this virus in Italy have passed away.

Now the medical advice is to wash your hands regularly and catch coughs and sneezes in a paper tissue which should be disposed of in a bin. Add to that what is so hard about looking after our own hygiene for the benefit of all. It’s not really such a hardship surely for people to do what should come naturally anyway???

No one is advocating people carrying a bell to ring and crying out unclean. Just simple steps of common decency.

Mind you, despite players being discouraged from shaking hands and such pre match, they still allow the disgusting habits of gobbing on the pitch and clearing their noses with great gusto. When they put a stop to that then maybe we can think of progressing to closed door games.

You are technically spot on. I tend to use the flu short-hand as people don't to bother about the differential and can imagine flu so its relatable.

...You are totally right about the rest. It's common sense. Most will be inconvenienced physically but will recover, but its just about being sensible and helping avoid this getting any worse than it needs to

oxymoron
05-03-2020, 08:00 PM

With this out take, it’s kind of hard to get accurate figures from the Far East but so far more than 4% of 2069 people known to have contracted this virus in Italy have passed away.

The nature of the spread pattern of this and the lack of mitigation in terms of prevention, will potentially make this much worse in scale and severity for those seriously affected and with an underlying vulnerability. The projections (which I am privy to) are scary. Of course, these are worst case, but even least case will dwarf anything from the recent past

CentreLine
05-03-2020, 08:00 PM
You are technically spot on. I tend to use the flu short-hand as people don't to bother about the differential and can imagine flu so its relatable.

...You are totally right about the rest. It's common sense. Most will be inconvenienced physically but will recover, but its just about being sensible and helping avoid this getting any worse than it needs to

👍🏻

CentreLine
05-03-2020, 08:05 PM
The nature of the spread pattern of this and the lack of mitigation in terms of prevention, will potentially make this much worse in scale and severity for those seriously affected and with an underlying vulnerability. The projections (which I am privy to) are scary. Of course, these are worst case, but even least case will dwarf anything from the recent past

Let’s hope it arrests itself sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, maybe my pet hate of people licking their fingers before touching just about any piece of paper will become a thing of the past. It is especially annoying at the checkout when buying groceries. 😖

CentreLine
05-03-2020, 08:13 PM
I think the reaction here in the uk is probably more measured and proportional than this item from the USA:

This is a posting by Juliana Grant, a physician and infectious disease epidemiologist from the Seattle area.

Hi folks,

A number of you have asked me what I think is going to happen with coronavirus (COVID-19) and what we should be doing to prepare. I have a few thoughts about what’s likely to happen and what you should do about it. For those of you who don’t know me well, I am a preventive medicine physician and infectious disease epidemiologist. I graduated from the CDC’s Epidemic Intelligence Service and have over 17 years of experience in the field, most of that with CDC.
Wishing everyone good health,
Juliana

Who should I listen to?
The CDC and your state health department are your best place for information about COVID-19. Be cautious about other sources of information - many of them will not be reliable or accurate.

How bad is this going to be?
It’s possible that COVID-19 will be similar to a bad flu year but there are a number of indications that it will be very much like the 1918 Flu Pandemic. To put that in perspective, the 1918 flu did not end civilization as we know it but it was the second-deadliest event of the last 200 years. Expect people you know to die from this.
However, there is one critical difference between COVID-19 and the 1918 flu - the 1918 flu virus hit children and young adults particularly hard. COVID-19 seems to be most severe in older adults. Children and young adults generally have mild infections. We are grateful for this.

What can we expect?
This is not the zombie apocalypse. Core infrastructure (e.g., power, water, supermarkets, internet, government, etc.) will continue to work, perhaps with some minor disruptions.

There will be significant economic disruption: a global recession is very possible and there will probably be significant shortages of some products. The healthcare system will be hit the hardest. The number of people who are likely to get sick is higher than our healthcare systems can handle.

Daily life will be impacted in important ways. Travel is likely to be limited and public gatherings will probably be canceled. Schools will probably be closed. Expect health departments to start issuing these orders in the near future, especially on the West Coast.
The acute pandemic will probably last at least for several months and quite possibly for a year or two.

What can we do?
We can’t keep COVID-19 from being a global pandemic but the more we can do to slow the spread of the disease, the less severe the impact will be. With that in mind, here are the things you can do:

• Stay calm but take it seriously. This will likely be bad but it’s not the apocalypse.
• Stay home if you’re sick or someone in your house is sick.
• Leave medical supplies for healthcare workers. You shouldn’t be stockpiling masks or other medical supplies. They are needed in hospitals to keep our healthcare workers healthy.
• Wash your hands. Get in the habit of frequently washing your hands thoroughly and covering your cough.
• Minimize your exposure. Now that we’re seeing community transmission, it’s time to start seriously cutting back on your exposure to other people. Depending on your circumstances:
• Cancel all non-essential travel (and most of it is non-essential!)
• Avoid large-scale gatherings
• Work from home if possible
• Minimize direct contact with others including hand shakes and hugs
• Reduce your trips out of the house. If possible, shop for two weeks of groceries at once or consider having your groceries delivered.
• Remember, keep calm and prepare. This is likely to be bad but if we respond calmly and thoughtfully we can handle it.

Feel free to share this email as you see fit.
Juliana Grant, MD MPH
Public health and epidemiology consultant

Phil MaGlass
06-03-2020, 08:05 AM
Let’s hope it arrests itself sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, maybe my pet hate of people licking their fingers before touching just about any piece of paper will become a thing of the past. It is especially annoying at the checkout when buying groceries. 😖

Disgusting, I have regularly refused to accept food and other groceries after this has happened and demanded my money back. Had an argument with a shop worker once and she called her boss, the boss was so embarrassed after a crowd of shoppers were watching he apologised and gave me my money back and wrapped the food himself and gave me my groceries for free.
I actually had one fish monger with blood dripping down his arm try to serve me a salmon sandwich, went tae town on this clown.
Dont accept this from any shop its disgusting and its your health.
Folkmthat cough without covering their mouths first or come to work with a cold are other pet hates. ****ers.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Disgusting, I have regularly refused to accept food and other groceries after this has happened and demanded my money back. Had an argument with a shop worker once and she called her boss, the boss was so embarrassed after a crowd of shoppers were watching he apologised and gave me my money back and wrapped the food himself and gave me my groceries for free.
I actually had one fish monger with blood dripping down his arm try to serve me a salmon sandwich, went tae town on this clown.
Folkmthat cough without covering their mouths first or come to work with a cold are other pet hates. ****ers.

I actually have some sympathy for people who go to work with a cold. I've worked in places before with no company sick pay, running with skeleton staff and seen bosses put huge pressure on people to attend work when ill. Add to that the inevitable 'hilarious' comments about man flu if you do take a couple of days off.

Some of these people were earning minimum wage and could well have been living on a very tight budget. A week without pay or even getting the paltry SSP is probably a scary thought. Companies need to take some responsibility for this. When you see Wetherspoons saying they won't accept people instructed to self isolate are ill then you can see the position people are put in. Irresponsible management and policy is every bit as much to blame as irresponsible individuals.

scooby
06-03-2020, 08:16 AM
I think the reaction here in the uk is probably more measured and proportional than this item from the USA:

This is a posting by Juliana Grant, a physician and infectious disease epidemiologist from the Seattle area.

Hi folks,

A number of you have asked me what I think is going to happen with coronavirus (COVID-19) and what we should be doing to prepare. I have a few thoughts about what’s likely to happen and what you should do about it. For those of you who don’t know me well, I am a preventive medicine physician and infectious disease epidemiologist. I graduated from the CDC’s Epidemic Intelligence Service and have over 17 years of experience in the field, most of that with CDC.
Wishing everyone good health,
Juliana

Who should I listen to?
The CDC and your state health department are your best place for information about COVID-19. Be cautious about other sources of information - many of them will not be reliable or accurate.

How bad is this going to be?
It’s possible that COVID-19 will be similar to a bad flu year but there are a number of indications that it will be very much like the 1918 Flu Pandemic. To put that in perspective, the 1918 flu did not end civilization as we know it but it was the second-deadliest event of the last 200 years. Expect people you know to die from this.
However, there is one critical difference between COVID-19 and the 1918 flu - the 1918 flu virus hit children and young adults particularly hard. COVID-19 seems to be most severe in older adults. Children and young adults generally have mild infections. We are grateful for this.

What can we expect?
This is not the zombie apocalypse. Core infrastructure (e.g., power, water, supermarkets, internet, government, etc.) will continue to work, perhaps with some minor disruptions.

There will be significant economic disruption: a global recession is very possible and there will probably be significant shortages of some products. The healthcare system will be hit the hardest. The number of people who are likely to get sick is higher than our healthcare systems can handle.

Daily life will be impacted in important ways. Travel is likely to be limited and public gatherings will probably be canceled. Schools will probably be closed. Expect health departments to start issuing these orders in the near future, especially on the West Coast.
The acute pandemic will probably last at least for several months and quite possibly for a year or two.

What can we do?
We can’t keep COVID-19 from being a global pandemic but the more we can do to slow the spread of the disease, the less severe the impact will be. With that in mind, here are the things you can do:

• Stay calm but take it seriously. This will likely be bad but it’s not the apocalypse.
• Stay home if you’re sick or someone in your house is sick.
• Leave medical supplies for healthcare workers. You shouldn’t be stockpiling masks or other medical supplies. They are needed in hospitals to keep our healthcare workers healthy.
• Wash your hands. Get in the habit of frequently washing your hands thoroughly and covering your cough.
• Minimize your exposure. Now that we’re seeing community transmission, it’s time to start seriously cutting back on your exposure to other people. Depending on your circumstances:
• Cancel all non-essential travel (and most of it is non-essential!)
• Avoid large-scale gatherings
• Work from home if possible
• Minimize direct contact with others including hand shakes and hugs
• Reduce your trips out of the house. If possible, shop for two weeks of groceries at once or consider having your groceries delivered.
• Remember, keep calm and prepare. This is likely to be bad but if we respond calmly and thoughtfully we can handle it.

Feel free to share this email as you see fit.
Juliana Grant, MD MPH
Public health and epidemiology consultant

I think everyone needs to take a reality check regarding COVID-19, as the media are doing a great job creating the required hysteria.
Approx 40 people in every 100k in Scotland currently have the flu, and 3 people have been diagnosed with the virus.

This is all a prelude to government enforced health cards which they plan to implement across Europe and the US on the back of this, which will require anyone wishing to travel outside their own country to have had the required government approved vaccinations.

Yes folks, they're going to pump you full of anything they like, and if you wish to travel overseas you're vaccinations will have to be up to date.

Time for calm minds and independent thinking, not fear.

scooby
06-03-2020, 08:22 AM

You sound like you work for Monsters Inc "We scare because we care"

Peevemor
06-03-2020, 08:26 AM

Well over the top.

Two things.

1. The majority of people can't afford to lose a couple of days wages because of a wee cold.
2. My firm wouldn't be able to pay the (decent) salaries that we do if we lost productivity in the winter due to people taking days of because of colds.

calumhibee1
06-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Well over the top.

Two things.

1. The majority of people can't afford to lose a couple of days wages because of a wee cold.
2. My firm wouldn't be able to pay the (decent) salaries that we do if we lost productivity in the winter due to people taking days of because of colds.

I’d only be at work about 2/3rds of the year of some form of cold stopped me going. I’d also be sitting about the house wondering wtf I was off for.

lord bunberry
06-03-2020, 08:50 AM

I recommend only using taxis :greengrin

Keith_M
06-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Probably not right now but the time is likely coming soon

In which case, the world has gone mad.

There are lots of viruses (e.g. flu) that are transferred in enclosed spaces that kill massively greater amounts of people every year. Nobody has EVER suggested doing the same for them.

Why don't we all just stay at home permanently.

Forza Fred
06-03-2020, 09:12 AM
I'd say that a sensible view would be to avoid unnecessary trips and gatherings.

I don't know how serious this thing really is. If myself and my immediate family were all infected would we just feel a bit rough for a week then crack on as normal afterward? - I've honestly no idea.

The powers that be (worldwide) seem to be taking it very seriously so I'm inclined to go along with the measures they suggest.

It appears that if you are hale and hearty you will recover fully, but if you are old or have a pre existing heart or respitory ailment you may not.

At my end of the world the latest deaths are two people from the same old folks home.

However it’s much, much more dangerous death wise than the flu, and has a death rate at least ten times the rate.

CentreLine
06-03-2020, 09:25 AM

There are lots of viruses (e.g. flu) that are transferred in enclosed spaces that kill massively greater amounts of people every year. Nobody has EVER suggested doing the same for them.

Flu is a big risk to life every year but we are aware of it, largely because of the avian flu (we called it Spanish flu) that killed an estimated 80 million in 1918. We have a series of vaccines that are fairly affective against strains of flu but the medical world is still very concerned at the mutations of flu strains, especially the avian (bird flu) variety.
The thing about SARS is that it has the potential to surpass that and currently there is no effective vaccine, despite SARS having been around and identified for 12 years. That is why governments are concerned and people should follow the, not unreasonable, hygiene steps advocated.

Furthermore, SARS is in addition to the threat of flu, not an alternative. The pressure that will put on the health service will break the NHS at some point if a significant proportion of the public continue to take such a devil may care attitude.

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Funnily enough. I gave up Facebook about 5 years ago. I forget it still exists.

If you run a small business it's pretty much essential.

Mental that they won't allow reusable cups, to protect their staff, but still handle cash while serving food and drink.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51767092

CentreLine
06-03-2020, 09:33 AM

Oh but they have. You must remember the avian and swine flu scares in the early 2000s
Foot and mouth disease as well had us driving through disinfectant, cancelling sporting events and being restricted from parts of the country.
In the 1930s and 40s there were fever hospitals outside every major town to separate sufferers of Scarlet Fever from the community
And in the 1960s we had the outbreak of typhoid, largely centred in Aberdeen, that saw similar quarantine measures.

This is not a new reaction from concerned governments

Weegreenman
06-03-2020, 09:41 AM
It’s only a matter of time if projections are right before teams, squads are infected and need to self isolate.

The season will end early, I have no doubts about this.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 09:50 AM
It’s only a matter of time if projections are right before teams, squads are infected and need to self isolate.

Already happening in Denmark. I just posted a thread about it.

wookie70
06-03-2020, 09:56 AM
I actually have some sympathy for people who go to work with a cold. I've worked in places before with no company sick pay, running with skeleton staff and seen bosses put huge pressure on people to attend work when ill. Add to that the inevitable 'hilarious' comments about man flu if you do take a couple of days off.

Some of these people were earning minimum wage and could well have been living on a very tight budget. A week without pay or even getting the paltry SSP is probably a scary thought. Companies need to take some responsibility for this. When you see Wetherspoons saying they won't accept people instructed to self isolate are ill then you can see the position people are put in. Irresponsible management and policy is every bit as much to blame as irresponsible individuals.

Most people are a mortgage/rent payment or two away from being homeless. If they should be self isolating but feel ok I suspect many will go to work for the reasons you state. You can see with Wilko reducing sick pay etc what employers think and most Unions seem fairly powerless these days with employees rarely getting together and making sure they are treated correctly.

One thing in our favour is Scotland is more sparsely populated and the UK is of course an island nation.If the poo hits the spinning thing we have a bunch of loonies in charge of the country who will care not a jot barring their next election win.

The fitba being cancelled or played behind closed doors may be the least of our worries and if it is a necessary evil then so be it. Money rather than the wellbeing of our citizens is likely to be the Government's driver though.

FilipinoHibs
06-03-2020, 10:10 AM
As others have said, the way it most transmitted is touching surfaces where an infected person has left the virus usually by sneezing. Touching that infected surface with your hand and then touching your nose, eyes or mouth could lead to infection. Doors and toilets are the worst place to pick it up. By washing and/or disinfecting your hands and avoiding touching surfaces in public spaces reduces the risk considerably.
Last night we attended a local derby basketball match in the Philippines. On entering the stadium we all had a squirt of disinfected hand wash. Countries like the Philippines, Vietnam and Singapore are used to dealing with a country wide crisis. National and local government and the whole population deal with it, all pulling together.

CentreLine
06-03-2020, 10:25 AM
As others have said, the way it most transmitted is touching surfaces where an infected person has left the virus usually by sneezing. Touching that infected surface with your hand and then touching your nose, eyes or mouth could lead to infection. Doors and toilets are the worst place to pick it up. By washing and/or disinfecting your hands and avoiding touching surfaces in public spaces reduces the risk considerably.
Last night we attended a local derby basketball match in the Philippines. On entering the stadium we all had a squirt of disinfected hand wash. Countries like the Philippines, Vietnam and Singapore are used to dealing with a country wide crisis. National and local government and the whole population deal with it, all pulling together.

That sounds like a very reasonable way to deal with these situations. I find that people in the countries you mention also seem to have much greater respect for others and to have a greater community spirit than many parts of the UK, particularly in the centres of higher population.

Lago
06-03-2020, 10:29 AM

And Hearts will be saved from relegation, along with no cup semi final or final perhaps.

CentreLine
06-03-2020, 10:37 AM
And Hearts will be saved from relegation, along with no cup semi final or final perhaps.

Reports on the BBC website say that SPFL are ready to award the championship to Celtic if the rest of the season is cancelled. Got to think that would apply to the remainder of the leagues and therefore to relegation of the bottom teams. Can’t quite see how they would apply the situation to second bottom and playoff positions though.

Barman Stanton
06-03-2020, 10:40 AM
I originally laughed at the prospect of cancelling the season. But watching this unravel it wouldnt surprise me at all now. Seems to be new cases being reported every half hour or so.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Reports on the BBC website say that SPFL are ready to award the championship to Celtic if the rest of the season is cancelled. Got to think that would apply to the remainder of the leagues and therefore to relegation of the bottom teams. Can’t quite see how they would apply the situation to second bottom and playoff positions though.

You might get away with it with Celtic being so far in front. Relegation is your problem though. Hearts, Hamilton and St Mirren are all to close together for whoever goes down not to fight it.

CentreLine
06-03-2020, 10:52 AM
You might get away with it with Celtic being so far in front. Relegation is your problem though. Hearts, Hamilton and St Mirren are all to close together for whoever goes down not to fight it.

True but Dundee United are miles ahead in the Championship. It would be hard to imagine them not fighting any attempt to keep them down. Shame we have been so generous to hearts otherwise they’d be firmly in that relegation spot.

06-03-2020, 10:57 AM
True but Dundee United are miles ahead in the Championship. It would be hard to imagine them not fighting any attempt to keep them down. Shame we have been so generous to hearts otherwise they’d be firmly in that relegation spot.

Fairest way to do it is to send the bottom team down and the top team up in my totally unbiased opinion.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 10:57 AM

That is also true, especially considering the amount they've splashed out on Shankland.
Unfortunately the hearts thing is also true.

Moulin Yarns
06-03-2020, 11:02 AM

Link?

06-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Bottom team down, top team up. Play games in hand behind closed doors so everyone has at least played the same number of games, ideally we'd be able to get to the split. Then do play off games based on where teams are, usual format but behind closed door.

Cup games could wait as long as it takes for it to be safe to play them with a crowd.

jacomo
06-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Bottom team down, top team up. Play games in hand behind closed doors so everyone has at least played the same number of games, ideally we'd be able to get to the split. Then do play off games based on where teams are, usual format but behind closed door.

Cup games could wait as long as it takes for it to be safe to play them with a crowd.

Yes but the bigger risk is if one or more squads get wiped out by the virus. You can play games behind closed doors but only if both clubs can put a team on the park!

Obviously fairest thing would be to relegate Hearts now...

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Where would the cup games take place as hampden is booked out all summer.

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Yes but the bigger risk is if one or more squads get wiped out by the virus. You can play games behind closed doors but only if both clubs can put a team on the park!

I concur.

Peevemor
06-03-2020, 11:29 AM

Especially with Stendel's tongue thing - he has to be a major risk!

Steven79
06-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Where would the cup games take place as hampden is booked out all summer.

I think we have a decent sized ground in Edinburgh that's free during the summer...

Killiehibbie
06-03-2020, 11:38 AM
Especially with Stendel's tongue thing - he has to be a major risk!

Shouldn't be a problem as he's constantly sterilising it

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 11:40 AM
I think we have a decent sized ground in Edinburgh that's free during the summer...

True.

Keith_M
06-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Flu is a big risk to life every year but we are aware of it, largely because of the avian flu (we called it Spanish flu) that killed an estimated 80 million in 1918. We have a series of vaccines that are fairly affective against strains of flu but the medical world is still very concerned at the mutations of flu strains, especially the avian (bird flu) variety.
The thing about SARS is that it has the potential to surpass that and currently there is no effective vaccine, despite SARS having been around and identified for 12 years. That is why governments are concerned and people should follow the, not unreasonable, hygiene steps advocated.

Furthermore, SARS is in addition to the threat of flu, not an alternative. The pressure that will put on the health service will break the NHS at some point if a significant proportion of the public continue to take such a devil may care attitude.

My point still stands.

Thousands of people die every year from infectious diseases that are often transmitted in enclosed spaces, such as public transport and workplaces.

At no point has anybody suggested stopping people using public transport or going to work to minimize those thousands of deaths... yet people are seriously suggesting this for one specific disease.

Why?

Are the people that die from Flu and other viruses less important? Are they any less dead than somebody that dies from Covid-19?

Peevemor
06-03-2020, 12:45 PM
My point still stands.

Thousands of people die every year from infectious diseases that are often transmitted in enclosed spaces, such as public transport and workplaces.

At no point has anybody suggested stopping people using public transport or going to work to minimize those thousands of deaths... yet people are seriously suggesting this for one specific disease.

Why?

Are the people that die from Flu and other viruses less important? Are they any less dead than somebody that dies from Covid-19?

If I have the flu and mix with vulnerable people, they'll probably be vaccinated therefore I probably won't kill them.

If I catch this coronavirus and visit the same people, I could infect them thus risking their lives.

That's the difference.

scooby
06-03-2020, 12:55 PM
My point still stands.

Why?

Everyone needs to switch off their TVs and radios and take a reality check. The scaremongering is absolutely unbelievable, and just shows how easily fear can control the population.
You're more likely to get hit by a bus than die from the Coronavirus.

Frankhfc
06-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Everyone needs to switch off their TVs and radios and take a reality check. The scaremongering is absolutely unbelievable, and just shows how easily fear can control the population.

Its not just about yourself though.

The main issue is not passing it on to those who are more likely to die from it. How would you feel if you passed it on to an elderly relative possibly already suffering from a pre existing underlying condition who went on to die from the virus.

Lets get real.

Waxy
06-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Just scrap the split. Bottom team down, second bottom playoff. Play the playoffs behind close doors. Can see this happening, cant see any alternative.

scooby
06-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Its not just about yourself though.

The main issue is not passing it on to those who could die from it. How would you feel if you passed it to an vulnerable elderly relative with a pre existing underlying illness who went on to die from the virus?

Lets be serious.

Yup let's be serious, there are 3 people in Scotland who have it and 10 known cases in the US.
The rate of infection in China is also decreasing, but we're all doomed!
People need to wake up and think for themselves, rather than believing everything you are fed.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2020, 01:06 PM

How many people in the UK die from being hit by buses? 20? 50?

scooby
06-03-2020, 01:08 PM
How many people in the UK die from being hit by buses? 20? 50?

How many have died in the UK from COVID-19?

Frankhfc
06-03-2020, 01:09 PM
Yup let's be serious, there are 3 people in Scotland who have it and 10 known cases in the US.
People need to wake up and think for themselves, rather than believing everything you are fed.

Aye ok, its all a big lie conspiracy.

Dearie me.

scooby
06-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Aye ok, its all a conspiracy.

Dearie me.

It's not a conspiracy, but they are doing a great job of scaring the s*** out of people.
If you can think for yourself you may be able to rationalise what's going on.

Rocky
06-03-2020, 01:13 PM
My point still stands.

Why?

Just a guess but maybe the fact that the death rate appears to be ten times higher than "normal" flu plus there's no vaccine for it might be some justification for taking additional precautions.

I think people are broadly split into three camps:
- Dafties who are working themselves into a tizz and buying every available bog roll and hand wash in the shops
- People who recognise this could potentially get very dangerous so listen to the scientific community and take the recommended precautions
- Dafties who ignore all the scientific evidence and spout forth about how it's all a big fuss about nothing

I'm aiming to be in the middle camp

Frankhfc
06-03-2020, 01:15 PM
It's not a conspiracy, but they are doing a great job of scaring the s*** out of people.
If you can think for yourself you may be able to rationalise what's going on.

Ships being quarantined, NHS warning us they might not be able to cope if it does take hold, Authorities cancelling sport, etc etc etc.

What do you think is going on instead of simply trusting the likes of the NHS that is the uppermost authority on such matters?

-Jonesy-
06-03-2020, 01:20 PM

H18S NX
06-03-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm 68 with breathing difficulties,you can bet i am taking it seriously.

Frankhfc
06-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Spot on bud. I hope no one takes the conspiracy nonsense seriously and continues heeding the advice of the experts instead.

scooby
06-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Ships being quarantined, NHS warning us they might not be able to cope if it does take hold, Authorities cancelling sport, etc etc etc.

What do you think is going on instead of simply trusting the likes of the NHS that is the uppermost authority on such matters?

People just need to be sensible and take normal precautions regarding the spread of infection, no need for all the panic and fear.
I'm sure we'll all still be here to discuss it in 6 months time, when it's all blown over.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2020, 01:32 PM

When you say you are taking to seriously what are you actually doing? I have allergy induced asthma (mild) so I'm probably at slightly raised risk should I catch this.

I am definitely being a bit more thorough in my hand washing and taking any opportunity to do so. I have also been more aware of not touching my face etc but beyond that I'm not sure what other advice there is to follow. What are others who are taking it seriously doing that I should be?

ballengeich
06-03-2020, 01:38 PM
My point still stands.

Why?

Yes the people who die of other events are equally important. However, for existing diseases and other causes of death we take what precautions we can but know the likely numbers of deaths that will still result. This disease is new, so until it's known how infectious it is or what the mortality rate is going to be it's sensible to take special precautions, but not to panic.

There's always a possibility that a new infection will turn out to have a similar fatality rate to ebola or aids in its early years combined with the transmission rate of the common cold. Caution is the right initial response, even if things don't eventually turn out to be that bad.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2020, 01:41 PM

Ask me in a year, but the virus only arrived in Italy a few weeks ago and 107 people have already died.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Ask me in a year, but the virus only arrived in Italy a few weeks ago and 107 people have already died.

It's likely been in the UK for weeks too and so far 1 person has died and that's unfortunate person was in her 80s and had been in and out of hospital with an underlying health condition.

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 01:55 PM
It's likely been in the UK for weeks too and so far 1 person has died.

2 now.

That's it been confirmed in Lothian region now.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 01:56 PM
2 now.

So 2 people in what 3 weeks? It's hardly apocalyptic.

More people would have died from TB than that.

Vault Boy
06-03-2020, 01:57 PM
I'll trust the medical researchers on this one, rather than anecdotal evidence comparing it to seasonal flu etc.

The reasons it's being treated so differently are multifaceted. It's so highly infectious, the mortality rate is significantly greater than flu (it's incomparable) and the fact it's new - there's been no natural immunity built up and we can't offer vaccines for it.

It's really important that everybody tries to prevent its spread.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2020, 02:03 PM
2 now.

If we are sticking to facts it should be pointed out the death in question is, as of now, not confirmed as being caused by coronavirus.

H18S NX
06-03-2020, 02:05 PM
When you say you are taking to seriously what are you actually doing? I have allergy induced asthma (mild) so I'm probably at slightly raised risk should I catch this.

I am definitely being a bit more thorough in my hand washing and taking any opportunity to do so. I have also been more aware of not touching my face etc but beyond that I'm not sure what other advice there is to follow. What are others who are taking it seriously doing that I should be?...I am doing exactly what they are telling me to do,hand wash etc,but i am also not venturing out and about so much,had to have a blood test this morning and the doctors surgery was quite full,with a few coughing etc,just have to be vigilant i suppose,you still have to get on with your life.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2020, 02:12 PM
So 2 people in what 3 weeks? It's hardly apocalyptic.

More people would have died from TB than that.

More than 100,000 people worldwide have been infected with more than 3,300 fatalities.

Is that apocalyptic enough?

G B Young
06-03-2020, 02:14 PM

11 cases now confirmed in Scotland. Many times that number will follow in the next few days and weeks. You should read oxymoron's posts earlier in this thread. He/she is clearly privy to official information about this and thus able to provide a clear explanation of why this can't be breezily dismissed as no big deal.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:19 PM
More than 100,000 people worldwide have been infected with more than 3,300 fatalities.

Is that apocalyptic enough?

In all honesty no. 3000 deaths across the entire world from something that's been around for 3 months. That is an absolutely miniscule amount.

As a comparison tuberculosis would have killed around 300,000 people worldwide in the same timescale.

G B Young
06-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Link?

The Mail. Sun and Record are all carrying the claim that Celtic would be awarded the title in the event of the season being brought to a premature end.

I guess there couldn't really be much argument about that, nor if Dundee United were awarded the Championship title. As others have said, the fairest way to decide relegation from the top flight would clearly be to demote the team sitting bottom at present :wink:

Vault Boy
06-03-2020, 02:28 PM
In all honesty no. 3000 deaths across the entire world from something that's been around for 3 months. That is an absolutely miniscule amount.

As a comparison tuberculosis would have killed around 300,000 people worldwide in the same timescale.

Why are we doing disease whataboutery?

This is just plainly false. Corona virus is highly infectious and can be spread with minimal contact time with infected individuals. It can spread on public transport, in the streets and in an office.

TB is incredibly unlikely to infect somebody in such a way. In most cases it takes prolonged contact with a victim to be at risk of infection.

Can we stop with the false comparison points and actually take things seriously? Disease top trumps ffs.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Why are we doing disease whataboutery?

This is just plainly false. Corona virus is highly infectious and can be spread with minimal contact time with infected individuals. It can spread on public transport, in the streets and in an office.

TB is incredibly unlikely to infect somebody in such a way. In most cases it takes prolonged contact with a victim to be at risk of infection.

Can we stop with the false comparison points and actually take things seriously?

It's not false in anyway. The cold hard facts are that currently this thing has killed 3000 people across the entire globe whilst TB has killed around 300,000. No whataboutery just accurate facts.

Vault Boy
06-03-2020, 02:35 PM
It's not false in anyway. The cold hard facts are that currently this thing has killed 3000 people across the entire globe whilst TB has killed around 300,000. No whataboutery just accurate facts.

Yes and TB is an epidemic. The difference is infection is falling every year for TB. It's a bacteria, we have more effective methods of treatment. The infection rate is lower (yes total infections are far greater but it's about timescales), the global reach potential is lower.

You've tried to undermine the seriousness of Coronavirus with an arbitrary comparison to TB. That's called whataboutery.

Ozyhibby
06-03-2020, 02:35 PM

None of that is true.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:38 PM
Yes and TB is an epidemic. The difference is infection is falling every year for TB. It's a bacteria, we have more effective methods of treatment. The infection rate is lower, the global reach is lower.

You've tried to undermine the seriousness of Coronavirus with an arbitrary comparison to TB. That's called whataboutery.

You're right. We are all doomed. Doomed I tell ya.

The end of the world is nigh.

Vault Boy
06-03-2020, 02:40 PM

Just gonna leave this strawman here untouched. Says more about you than I could.

Hibbyradge
06-03-2020, 02:41 PM

It is for a lot of people.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:42 PM
Just gonna leave this strawman here untouched. Says more about you than I could.

Chill out man. It's a Friday , the world's no gonna end , if you catch this thing you'll likely just get a cold.

You'll likely make yourself more ill with worry than anything else.

Enjoy your weekend.

Barman Stanton
06-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Chill out man. It's a Friday , the world's no gonna end , if you catch this thing you'll likely just get a cold.

Enjoy your weekend.

The world is not going to end but people are dying from this. That's reason enough to at least take it seriously.

Vault Boy
06-03-2020, 02:46 PM

Enjoy your weekend.

This is really patronising. I'm not fraught with worry, I just don't like misinformation about things that are serious.

You don't know my health situation and whether or not I'm in an at risk group or not, so to say I'd likely just have a cold is again very ignorant. I would encourage you to stop undermining people who want to make sure this is controlled effectively and early by spreading false comparisons and trying to belittle them.

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 02:47 PM
This is really patronising. I'm not fraught with worry, I just don't like misinformation about things that are serious.

You don't know my health situation and whether or not I'm in an at risk group or not, so to say I'd likely just have a cold is again very ignorant. I would encourage you to stop undermining people who want to make sure this is controlled effectively and early by spreading false comparisons and trying to belittle them.

This.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:47 PM
The world is not going to end but people are dying from this. That's reason enough to at least take it seriously.

And that's very unfortunate. Any death that occurs , from this or any other disease , is a sad thing to hear about.

People seriously need to relax about this though - the potential social and economic impact of people panicking and being scared out their wits are potentially more harmful for the majority of people than the virus itself.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2020, 02:48 PM

People make jokes about or make light of all kinds of things that people die from. Why is this any different?

Of course the broader point about following the advice given remains but again that is true of all kinds of illnesses that kill people.

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:48 PM

What false information did I spread?

Hibbyradge
06-03-2020, 02:51 PM

I agree.

My wife lectures at a university which has a student population made up of about 74% Chinese students. I think she's highly likely to become infected and if she does, I will too.

I have a relative who has poor health, but it's being managed.

I volunteer with Age UK as a befriender and I visit a chap in his late 80s who is house bound.

My neighbours have just had their first child and I play golf with the dad.

Given that you become contagious before you notice any symptoms, I'm worried that I pass the virus on to any of them, even if my immune system can deal with it.

Vault Boy
06-03-2020, 02:52 PM
What false information did I spread?

'You'd just have a cold'

The false comparison point with TB, which I already explained, whataboutery.

That's just in the couple of posts on this page that I've looked at. Moreover you're undermining people who are rightfully concerned and want to maximise the opportunity to contain this through PSA and the spread of information. Saying something as delusional as you'll just get a cold doesn't help.

This isn't about being riddled with fear or panicking, it's reacting proportionally to a budding threat.

DH1875
06-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Any chance we could stick to how it effects football and sport in general on this thread and take all the other stuff to the other thread that's on the go about coronavirus.

The 90+2
06-03-2020, 02:55 PM
I agree.

My wife lectures at a university which has a student population made up of about 74% Chinese students. I think she's highly likely to become infected and if she does, I will too.

I have a relative who has poor health, but it's being managed.

I volunteer with Age UK as a befriender and I visit a chap in his late 80s who is house bound.

My neighbours have just had their first child and I play golf with the dad.

Given that you become contagious before you notice any symptoms, I'm worried that I pass the virus on to any of them, even if my immune system can deal with it.

Good luck 👍

Since90+2
06-03-2020, 02:56 PM
'You'd just have a cold'

The false comparison point with TB, which I already explained, whataboutery.

That's just in the couple of posts on this page that I've looked at. Moreover you're undermining people who are rightfully concerned and want to maximise the opportunity to contain this through PSA and the spread of information. Saying something as delusional as you'll just get a cold doesn't help.

This is isn't about being riddled with fear or panicking, it's reacting proportionally to a budding threat.

I said if you get this thing the likelihood is you'll just get a cold. The current guidelines from The Chief Medical Officer is that for the vast majority of people who get this disease they will likely have mild symptoms. The world likely is important here - of course for a small number it will be worse. Unless you have more information than the Chief Medical Officer on this currently excuse my if I go with what they are advising.

You seem intent on having a barny about this so I'll leave you to it.

Enjoy your weekend.

Just Alf
06-03-2020, 03:01 PM
My worry about all this is that, for example, those on here seemingly comparing it to other illnesses and saying its not the worst thing out there, might go on about their business doing what they've done up to now to stop spreading germs to people....

And as we know theres loads don't bother washing hands just now, if people continue selfishly in the same vein things will get worse.

Caveat, Im guessing none of those on here are actual grot bags that would be disgusting like that, I'm really meaning the wider public :-)

PS, other day a lad came out the trap (place was stinking) and walked straight out to the bar!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edit, so in terms of this thread if us fitba fans dinnae wash their hands at games/in pubs then the spread amongst supporters might get higher, the league gets cancelled and Hearts get saved.... If for no other reason than to stop that... Wash yer ****ing hands! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Any chance we could stick to how it effects football and sport in general on this thread and take all the other stuff to the other thread that's on the go about coronavirus.

I don't think there's any chance of that, tbh.

Barman Stanton
06-03-2020, 03:02 PM
People make jokes about or make light of all kinds of things that people die from. Why is this any different?

Of course the broader point about following the advice given remains but again that is true of all kinds of illnesses that kill people.

Im not saying its any different. Im simply saying the death toll is enough to take it serious. By that I of course mean following the advise we are being provided with.

Killiehibbie
06-03-2020, 03:14 PM
My worry about all this is that, for example, those on here seemingly comparing it to other illnesses and saying its not the worst thing out there, might go on about their business doing what they've done up to now to stop spreading germs to people....

And as we know theres loads don't bother washing hands just now, if people continue selfishly in the same vein things will get worse.

Caveat, Im guessing none of those on here are actual grot bags that would be disgusting like that, I'm really meaning the wider public :-)

PS, other day a lad came out the trap (place was stinking) and walked straight out to the bar!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edit, so in terms of this thread if us fitba fans dinnae wash their hands at games/in pubs then the spread amongst supporters might get higher, the league gets cancelled and Hearts get saved.... If for no other reason than to stop that... Wash yer ****ing hands! :greengrin
I reckon about half the male population don't bother washing their hands after visiting the toilet. Maybe even less at half time and the place is mobbed.

Cataplana
06-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Personally if I was fearful for my life, I wouldn't give a monkeys about the football season. I think you'd have to be a bit touched to worry about who will win the league when there's a chance of imminent death.

I'm not fearing my demise, and so I will be absolutely fizzing if football is cancelled on the back and of this hysteria.

Barman Stanton
06-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Personally if I was fearful for my life, I wouldn't give a monkeys about the football season. I think you'd have to be a bit touched to worry about who will win the league when there's a chance of imminent death.

I'm not fearing my demise, and so I will be absolutely fizzing if football is cancelled on the back and of this hysteria.

You would think, but I was in hospital having a major op whilst Hibs played Rangers in the playoffs. The very first thing I asked when I came to was 'Did Hibs win'. We didnt of course, but the morphine helped!

DH1875
06-03-2020, 03:23 PM
I'll bet there is at least 100 people walking about Scotland right now that have it and don't even know they have it.

Cataplana
06-03-2020, 03:29 PM
You would think, but I was in hospital having a major op whilst Hibs played Rangers in the playoffs. The very first thing I asked when I came to was 'Did Hibs win'. We didnt of course, but the morphine helped!

Kind of like Fever Pitch. He said, "I'd like to think if accompany my girlfriend to hospital if she took I'll in the closing minutes of an important game. I can't guarantee I would though."

Be honest guys, you've all had that thought when your mate is choking on a pie.

(No offence to anyone who has had a distressing experience at the game, by the way.)

TimeForHeroes16
06-03-2020, 03:29 PM