PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-03-2020, 09:15 AM
Back for Tuesday?,Hoping so, he's been excellent this season.

Eyrie
01-03-2020, 09:34 AM
Back for Tuesday?,Hoping so, he's been excellent this season.

He's been excellent since Ross took over and played him correctly.

Earlier in the season he was the poster boy for Heckingbottom being clueless as we needed a winger and he signed someone for the role who couldn't play it and openly admitted to preferring a more central role.

I should know - I was one of the most vociferous critics.

Steve88
01-03-2020, 10:01 AM
JN or SO alongside The Doc in the 3-5-2. Tricky but nice problem to have... (SW drops to the bench behind these two)

LS stays at on the left.... or maybe Hearts don't have any real threat/pace on that side which would see JN sit there..

Danderhall Hibs
01-03-2020, 10:03 AM
SSN said on Friday he’d be doing a late fitness test for the ICT game so he can’t be far away from being back.

ABZHFC
01-03-2020, 10:08 AM
I'd quite like Newell to play LWB, and then have Omeonga, Allan and Docherty in midfield. Does anyone know about Hallberg? Is he injured?

wookie70
01-03-2020, 10:18 AM
He's been excellent since Ross took over and played him correctly.

Earlier in the season he was the poster boy for Heckingbottom being clueless as we needed a winger and he signed someone for the role who couldn't play it and openly admitted to preferring a more central role.

I should know - I was one of the most vociferous critics.

Ross has played him wide too albeit at RWB not RW. I would argue that is further removed from a central attacking player. Like Doidge he just needed some time to work out the Scottish game. He and Doidge got that Heck didnt

BoomtownHibees
01-03-2020, 11:04 AM
ross has played him wide too albeit at rwb not rw. I would argue that is further removed from a central attacking player. Like doidge he just needed some time to work out the scottish game. He and doidge got that heck didnt

lwb

wookie70
01-03-2020, 11:15 AM
lwb Yep wrong side but same point being made

Hibiza
01-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Keep it up Joe , I was a critic too.

Robbo6-2
01-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Classy player.

Great set pieces. I feel sorry for him abit for not playing more in centre mid because clearly its his best position and he has been quailty every time hes been in there.

green day
01-03-2020, 11:41 AM
I will be a lot happier on Tuesday with JN back in that spot.

Although Lewis has been excellent defensively over the years, JN gives us so much more going forward (and hence takes a massive amount of pressure off the defence at that side) in a back 3/5.

PISTOL1875
01-03-2020, 12:05 PM
Hopefully he is back on Tuesday.. Offers far more going than Stevenson going forward and always looks to play the forward pass...

Stuart93
01-03-2020, 12:07 PM
I’d have him in purely for his set pieces

Alex Trager
01-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Really hopeful he makes it back for Tuesday. He is a big miss in terms of attacking play and set pieces.

I’d drop stevenson for him.

I was cautious when we lined up 352 against Ross County with him left wing back but that was probably our best performance of the season and then we went and beat Killie playing it.

Fingers crossed he gets back. Cracking delivery as well

neil7908
01-03-2020, 01:10 PM
I’d have him in purely for his set pieces

This. Even taking away his other attacking skills, his deliveries alone are so dangerous.

Was noticeable how bad our corners were against Livi.

Nicho87
01-03-2020, 01:58 PM
His corners from the right whipped in are as effective as zitellis. Brilliant left foot.

Only two positions up for grabs I reckon for Tuesday.

Does he stick with Lewis.
Whittaker.

Other than that team picks itself

BegbieHSC
01-03-2020, 02:05 PM
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the midfield when Mallan returns. Could see him, Docherty and Allan being effective attackwise. With Newell at left back as well , we could see some exciting, score one more than the opposition, 5-3, 5-5 games again.

mjhibby
01-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Such a clever player. His pass to boyler that led to the winner v Hamilton was sublime. Compliments docherty,Steph and Scotty.

The 90+2
01-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Is he fit for Tuesday. Him at left back would be a lot better option.

Hermit Crab
02-03-2020, 12:12 AM
Newell must play if fit. Better than Stevenson. Omeonga in for Whittaker as well.

neil7908
02-03-2020, 07:07 AM
Newell must play if fit. Better than Stevenson. Omeonga in for Whittaker as well.

This.

Since452
02-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Hopefully find out today in Ross's pre match interview

Smartie
02-03-2020, 07:26 AM
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the midfield when Mallan returns. Could see him, Docherty and Allan being effective attackwise. With Newell at left back as well , we could see some exciting, score one more than the opposition, 5-3, 5-5 games again.

The more I see our team without him, the more I think Mallan is finished with us.

Docherty and Omeonga have shown us the sort of energy required to compete in midfield in our league and Mallan just doesn't have it.

If he'd been fit, he'd surely have had a chance in place of Allan to stake a claim over the busy past few weeks and it might have been the case that he'd have taken his chance.

Make no mistake though - there is one position and one position only that Mallan can play, the same goes for Allan, and there is only place for one of those players. There is no way we will ever accommodate the 2 of them and be better than relegation fodder. Both are excellent players in their best position but I reckon Mallan is too expensive to be a backup for Scott Allan.

green day
02-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Yes, but not because Whitty was poor v Caley - its horses for courses and he managed that area really well on Friday.

In the derby though, it will be 100mph stuff and he sould struggle with the pace.

MrRobot
02-03-2020, 09:04 AM

This for me too.

H18 SFR
02-03-2020, 09:23 AM
The more I see our team without him, the more I think Mallan is finished with us.

Docherty and Omeonga have shown us the sort of energy required to compete in midfield in our league and Mallan just doesn't have it.

If he'd been fit, he'd surely have had a chance in place of Allan to stake a claim over the busy past few weeks and it might have been the case that he'd have taken his chance.

Make no mistake though - there is one position and one position only that Mallan can play, the same goes for Allan, and there is only place for one of those players. There is no way we will ever accommodate the 2 of them and be better than relegation fodder. Both are excellent players in their best position but I reckon Mallan is too expensive to be a backup for Scott Allan.

Interesting perspective, I am the complete opposite, I actually think Mallan would absolutely thrive in our current side with players like Docherty and Omeonga in there with him.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2020, 09:27 AM
Interesting perspective, I am the complete opposite, I actually think Mallan would absolutely thrive in our current side with players like Docherty and Omeonga in there with him.

He wouldn't. He is a level below both of them. There is no position in our current formation that we don't have a better player than him.

BILLYHIBS
02-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Credit where credit due Mallan scored an absolute peach in the 1-2 defeat against the filth at Easter Road

Plus he is one of JRs favs from his St Mirren days

Plus he is our player

Exciting times lie ahead

Since452
02-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Credit where credit due Mallan scored an absolute peach in the 1-2 defeat against the filth at Easter Road

Plus he is one of JRs favs from his St Mirren days

Plus he is our player

Exciting times lie ahead

When you consider we still have a player like Mallan to come back this season it makes you think the end of the season could be very, very good.

Bostonhibby
02-03-2020, 10:26 AM
When you consider we still have a player like Mallan to come back this season it makes you think the end of the season could be very, very good.Mallan's a very good player, often played out of position in the past, to an extent I can see how accommodating him and Scotty could be a problem but it's a good problem to have and I'm looking forward to him being available for selection again.

Joe Newell looks a cut above again when he's not on the wing, happy to see how he's turning out.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
02-03-2020, 01:38 PM
Jack Ross just confirmed in the pre-match press conference Newell still out. Gutted, will be a real miss.

Since452
02-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Jack Ross just confirmed in the pre-match press conference Newell still out. Gutted, will be a real miss.

Yeah big blow

Stuart93
02-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Aye that’s *****

We’re a lot more dangerous from set pieces with him in the team

11-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Outside chance he'll be back for Saturday. 🤞

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-jack-ross-speaks-joe-newell-fitness-ahead-st-johnstone-clash-2446166

Smartie
11-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Outside chance he'll be back for Saturday. 🤞

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-jack-ross-speaks-joe-newell-fitness-ahead-st-johnstone-clash-2446166

As big a game as it is on Saturday, "outside chance" sounds too much like "decent chance he might break down again" to me.

This guy has become an integral part of our team and I want him in the best possible shape for our semi-final.

He'd be getting another week from me.

Since452
11-03-2020, 09:12 AM
As big a game as it is on Saturday, "outside chance" sounds too much like "decent chance he might break down again" to me.

This guy has become an integral part of our team and I want him in the best possible shape for our semi-final.

He'd be getting another week from me.

That's where I'm at. I'd rather he was back and fully fit for the semi. If that means he misses the next game or two as a precaution then fair enough

Currie Hibee
11-03-2020, 09:31 AM
It’s a tricky one as Saturday is a crunch game for us and could decide the outcome of the top 6. Both Saturday and the seminare huge games for the club. Ultimately we have to trust the medical team and the player to make the call.

Alex Trager
12-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Took the players press conference today so should signal his return

Vault Boy
12-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Took the players press conference today so should signal his return

Yep he's back in training

The 90+2
12-03-2020, 04:30 PM
It’s a tricky one as Saturday is a crunch game for us and could decide the outcome of the top 6. Both Saturday and the seminare huge games for the club. Ultimately we have to trust the medical team and the player to make the call.

Semi won’t happen. Get him in on Sat. Two set piece goals guaranteed.

GreenCastle
13-03-2020, 02:49 PM
More time for him and other injured players to recover.

Billy Whizz
13-03-2020, 03:03 PM
More time for him and other injured players to recover.

Presume McNulty will still be suspended for the next game, whenever that may be

The 90+2
13-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Presume McNulty will still be suspended for the next game, whenever that may be

Does that carry over to the Scottish cup?

Billy Whizz
13-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Does that carry over to the Scottish cup?

It’s a league ban only