PDA

View Full Version : The Scottish Cup - AKA "How do you solve a problem like Celtic"?

Northernhibee
29-02-2020, 06:30 PM
Great results so far - it means that if we want to win the cup it's likely we only need to beat Celtic as opposed to both Rangers and Celtic.

Still, it looks as if the league is theirs so how do we make it eleven trophies out of twelve at the end of the season if we get drawn against them? This is the most winnable Scottish Cup since we last won it ourselves, but there is still one massive elephant in the room who are likely to ease past St. Johnstone.

How do we do it?

rcarter1
29-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Release the Squirrel 🐿

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 06:39 PM
With a massive stroke of luck. Simple facts are that if both teams show up they win 9 times out of 10. Require them to be off it, us to be at it and attack them, ruthless with chances and as solid as possible at the back. Or just hope st Johnstone do the unthinkable tomorrow.

Green_one
29-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Best to do it in the semi

Or let Aberdeen / Hearts sort it

pontius pilate
29-02-2020, 06:50 PM
High press get in their faces as we saw Copenhagen do on thursday night, Scottish teams ***** it against septic yet we press them and get in about them that's the weakness for me

BILLYHIBS
29-02-2020, 07:08 PM
Naw The Hecky approach of just surrendering territory to them and allowing Broony to boss us worked every time 🤣

Pretty Boy
29-02-2020, 07:09 PM
Lennons record in semi finals and finals isn't fantastic. Hope he tries to do something smart and take advantage.

sambajustice
29-02-2020, 07:16 PM
I'd say the league is done, they're out of Europe so all efforts will be on the quadruple treble. Going to be very hard.

ABZHFC
29-02-2020, 07:20 PM
I want Celtic out of this cup so badly, please St Johnstone, just please

DH1875
29-02-2020, 07:27 PM
Their gonna lose some time. Might as well be to us in the final :flag:

Smartie
29-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Lennons record in semi finals and finals isn't fantastic. Hope he tries to do something smart and take advantage.

If we get a bit of form going in the lead up to the game Lennon might come up with a smart arse fancy game plan that backfires.

If he just plays his best team then 9 out of 10 times they beat us.

hibsmad
29-02-2020, 07:33 PM
If we end up playing them then I'll be hoping Edouard picks up a knock and misses the game. There have been so many games where Celtic have been poor but they win after he pops up with a goal.

Last season's final being an obvious example.

shamo9
29-02-2020, 07:37 PM
If they win tomorrow I'd rather face them in the final. It would be brutal to be the team that finally beats them and then we lose to Aberdeen/Hearts etc. One of the reasons the Livi final stung so much.

Hearts in the semi (weakest team left) and then weakest team possible in the final. If that means Celtic so be it. We have the firepower to cause them problems and Docherty is free to play.

Onceinawhile
29-02-2020, 07:38 PM
We'll pump them in the semi. Doch, omeonga and Allan will boss midfield.

DH1875
29-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Wait till the final. Would hate to beat them in the semi and then lose the final.

Waxy
29-02-2020, 07:40 PM
St Js can beat them with a bit of luck. Same way ICT beat them in 2015. A lucky moment. Celtic down to 10.
I want a Hibs Hearts final now.

NAE NOOKIE
29-02-2020, 08:59 PM
High press get in their faces as we saw Copenhagen do on thursday night, Scottish teams ***** it against septic yet we press them and get in about them that's the weakness for me

Absolutely this. We just aren't strong enough defensively to put up a 90 minute rearguard action in the hope that we can hit them on the break. Right up in their faces from the word go and stop them building anything from the back. It might not work, but that for me would be our only chance. In game after game Celtic know they will have free reign in their own half, they just aren't used to having to work at getting the ball to half way ... Rangers have had some success against them doing that and with the players we have we can too.

makaveli1875
29-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Hope Edouard is either injured or off form and same for Forster.

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 10:16 PM
I agree that it would be gutting to beat Celtc in the semi only to lose in the final, but the main reason for not wanting to face Celtc until the final is straightforward - we have a much better chance of actually being in the final if we play Hearts or Aberdeen in the semi.

DH1875
29-02-2020, 10:21 PM
I agree that it would be gutting to beat Celtc in the semi only to lose in the final, but the main reason for not wanting to face Celtc until the final is straightforward - we have a much better chance of actually being in the final if we play Hearts or Aberdeen in the semi.

Let Hearts or Aberdeen play them in the semi. If either of them win, great. If not, we do them in the final :aok:

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Let Hearts or Aberdeen play them in the semi. If either of them win, great. If not, we do them in the final :aok:

Suits me :greengrin

DH1875
29-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Suits me :greengrin

Ive said this on the other thread but seriously, If your a neutral and looking at a final between Celtic and either......Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs, which team do you think has the better chance of beating them? Hampden, one of with no pressure and with a 50/50 split. I think it has to be us.

KingPat4
29-02-2020, 10:36 PM
If we do reach the final and if it is Celtic, then at least we don't have an arse of a manager who will leave out our beat player.

KingPat4
29-02-2020, 10:38 PM
FWIW I reckon we will play Aberdeen in the semi.

Onion
01-03-2020, 05:28 AM
Best to do it in the semi

Or let Aberdeen / Hearts sort it

Agreed, very few teams out with the old club called Rangers have beaten Celtic in a SCF in the last 40 yrs. Got to get rid in the semi.

Just checked finals since 1960 and Celtic have a 16 win, 1 loss record against teams other than old Rangers. That loss was to a team that won the cup winners cup, Aberdeen. Incredible. Celtic are almost unbeatable in May at Hampden.

GibbytheHibby2
01-03-2020, 08:23 AM
Naw The Hecky approach of just surrendering territory to them and allowing Broony to boss us worked every time 🤣

I wasn’t too worried about that tactic to be honest. Plenty teams do that effectively. Mowbray did it with a team of youngsters against Celtc’s superstars and we drew 2-2.

It needs to be flexible though and much better when we have the ball which was where Hecky’s plan was lacking.

Since452
01-03-2020, 08:24 AM
What a chance we have if Celtic go out today. I'd fancy us against all of them

coldingham hibs
01-03-2020, 08:36 AM
There are generally some crazy results Europe wide after teams have played Euro ties. St Johnstone have got Celtic at the perfect time so a shock result wouldn’t surprise me.

Bob1875
01-03-2020, 09:50 AM
Hearts and Aberdeen have more chance of beating Celtic than we do. They have the players to turn it into a battle and anything can happen. We can only play 1 game unfortunately.