PDA

View Full Version : Robbo

Greenbeard
29-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Wee bit of respect for the wee man for what he says in his post-match interview. Wee bit.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51585973

Bostonhibby
29-02-2020, 08:56 AM
No problem giving him credit, hes a decent guy and certainly had Hibs allegiances as a youngster.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

InchHibby
29-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Wee bit of respect for the wee man for what he says in his post-match interview. Wee bit.

It started of as a fair and unbiased interview but the female reporter kept asking him the same questions over and over and each time he answered his replies were changing all the time, and he kept going back to when they should have got a penalty with our guy being sent of but he never once mentioned the planned systematic assault on Boyle from four of their players, one who should have been sent of for a second disgusting tackle, it was quite ridiculous questioning in the end and for the team that got stuffed they spent longer talking to him about the defeat. But to be fair he did say, but not really wanting to say, the better team won.

Pagan Hibernia
29-02-2020, 09:08 AM
He defied Mercer and attended our Hands off Hibs rally.

i’ll always respect him

Pretty Boy
29-02-2020, 09:22 AM
John Robertson broke my heart multiple times when I was a child. I should hate him but I've always grudgingly quite liked him. The 5-1 stuff last night was pantomime nonsense.

BILLYHIBS
29-02-2020, 09:27 AM
Was at a Grant Stott gig at the Fringe one year and there was a wee fat bloke in the front row heckling him turned out it was Robbo and he introduced him to the audience as his cousin

Small world

Broke my heart countless times over the years but always strikes me as being a decent bloke was honest enough to admit post match that the Boyle dive was a pen

dp00
29-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Doing a good job with Inverness so fair play , can’t believe hearts never took him instead of Stendal tbf but that prob tells you just what kinda mess hearts are in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BegbieHSC
29-02-2020, 09:32 AM
I thought his patter was quite funny last night tbh.

We were giving him abuse after his booking, he gives us the 5-1.

We score to make it 5-1, chant Robbo what’s the score, and he goes and does it again. Had us in hysterics!

Probably be less impressed if I was a Caley fan tho...

Since452
29-02-2020, 09:32 AM
I don't mind Robbo at all

Green Badger
29-02-2020, 09:36 AM
The questioning from the interviewer was pretty poor, purely wanted to focus on the penalty claim for ICT and nothing else. To be fair to Robbo he did at least say that Hibs would have been equally aggrieved that we didnt get the Boyle penalty claim.

As ex hertz managers go, probably have more time for him than all the others.

Roxyhibee
29-02-2020, 09:42 AM
He defied Mercer and attended our Hands off Hibs rally.

i’ll always respect him

100%.

Anyone who was a supporter in those days will remember how really dark and hopeless those few months seemed. We were looking for any friend or ally we could get to help begin to turn things around.

To have Hearts greatest player at that time and their fans hero to walk on a public stage and emphatically say his Chairman was wrong was very powerful and I’ll remember him for that, not all those wounding goals the little ****** put in against us.! 😂

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Would be a real story if his ICT team put Hearts down in the play offs.

Sir David Gray
29-02-2020, 09:54 AM
I thought his patter was quite funny last night tbh.

We were giving him abuse after his booking, he gives us the 5-1.

We score to make it 5-1, chant Robbo what’s the score, and he goes and does it again. Had us in hysterics!

Probably be less impressed if I was a Caley fan tho...

As a Hibs fan I had no issue with it.

However I wouldn't have been happy at all if I was an Inverness fan. After travelling for several hours down to Edinburgh, your team's 5-1 down and you see your manager joining in with the home side's taunts about the scoreline.

Baader
29-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Decent guy. His attending the Hands off Hibs rally at Usher Hall isn't forgotten.

04Sauzee
29-02-2020, 10:10 AM
I like Robbo, hated him in the days he scored against us but hes a likeable guy and always comes across decent.

Col2
29-02-2020, 10:13 AM
Grown men “doing the 5-1” 😂😂😂

I thought it was just 6 year olds.

KingPat4
29-02-2020, 10:16 AM
I don't share this love in. He clearly instructed his players to hurt Martin Boyle.

:grr:

CraigHibee
29-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Robbo's alright, we hated him as he always had a knack of scoring against us but he does seem like a decent guy

hibbiedon
29-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Loved the way he shook the hand of every Hibs player at the end of the game, like many others I recall the Hands Off Hibs era and he will have my undying gratitude, I still called him a yam fud during the game though

angus hibby
29-02-2020, 10:23 AM
I don't share this love in. He clearly instructed his players to hurt Martin Boyle.

Spot on.

Cameron1875
29-02-2020, 10:26 AM
If Boyle or Doidge were out for the season or worse, would yous all still be okay with respectful Robbo?

His team are ex hearts thugs and i'd find it hard to believe he never instructed them to boot us off the park like his pal Levein always did.

**** him

cmcd
29-02-2020, 10:27 AM

If your Granny had a Willie she'd be your Grandpa

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 10:29 AM
I watched his interview and, other than his claim that their penalty shout was a red card, had no problem with it.

How many managers concede that the opposition should have had a penalty and their player possibly sent off?

ACLeith
29-02-2020, 10:30 AM
1988 I was involved in a charity cricket match. Amongst other groups Hearts and Hibs sent reps to play. Robbo was theirs but in the meantime he was transferred to Newcastle. He still honoured his commitment though. Stood beside him as he flicked through the programme. He came to the page where Mercer gave his standard message of support and pretended to spit on him.

That, allied to his HOH support, made him ok for me.

(Given what he did to us after he returned I should have smashed his legs with my 🏏)

SideBurns
29-02-2020, 10:34 AM
If Boyle or Doidge were out for the season or worse, would yous all still be okay with respectful Robbo?

His team are ex hearts thugs and i'd find it hard to believe he never instructed them to boot us off the park like his pal Levein always did.

**** him

The treatment dished out to Boyle was little different to that which he receives every week in the premier league. I'm not certain that managers send out their players to injure him - I just think opponents realise it can be the only way to stop Martin when he's on fire! It's up to referees to offer the wee man protection and, to be fair, Walsh was pulling out the yellow card last night.

hibsbollah
29-02-2020, 10:36 AM

:agree:

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 10:39 AM
It started of as a fair and unbiased interview but the female reporter kept asking him the same questions over and over and each time he answered his replies were changing all the time, and he kept going back to when they should have got a penalty with our guy being sent of but he never once mentioned the planned systematic assault on Boyle from four of their players, one who should have been sent of for a second disgusting tackle, it was quite ridiculous questioning in the end and for the team that got stuffed they spent longer talking to him about the defeat. But to be fair he did say, but not really wanting to say, the better team won.

He clearly mentioned the fouls on Boyle as an acknowledgement of the difference in the speed of games his side normally face. Spoke about 3 of his players being booked early on and repeatedly followed up his chat about his team getting a penalty by the fact hibs should have had a penalty. All he said was that for a lower league side to have a chance against a good top league side they need to be on the right side of big decisions, they were in the case of the first penalty and weren’t on the second and third ones.

The interviewer was an arse and the reason why females shouldn’t just be planted in jobs because they are females. She had absolutely no idea what she was talking about and just kept trying to get a headline out of him. Asked him about 4 times what positives he could take from the game.

Northernhibee
29-02-2020, 10:43 AM
He clearly mentioned the fouls on Boyle as an acknowledgement of the difference in the speed of games his side normally face. Spoke about 3 of his players being booked early on and repeatedly followed up his chat about his team getting a penalty by the fact hibs should have had a penalty. All he said was that for a lower league side to have a chance against a good top league side they need to be on the right side of big decisions, they were in the case of the first penalty and weren’t on the second and third ones.

The interviewer was an arse and the reason why females shouldn’t just be planted in jobs because they are females. She had absolutely no idea what she was talking about and just kept trying to get a headline out of him. Asked him about 4 times what positives he could take from the game.
What a load of utter pish that last paragraph is. The fact you don’t know her name and can only call her “female” shows how uninformed you are and how you have no clue of that interviewers qualifications or experience.

Greenbeard
29-02-2020, 10:45 AM
If your Granny had a Willie she'd be your Grandpa
Don't get what my deceased granny being a hermaphrodite has got to do with my OP but each to his own.

Kato
29-02-2020, 10:55 AM

:grr:Exactly. It's more a reflection of Scottish football though that he put out those instructions. The term "rotational fouling" is well known within the game yet is never mentioned by commentators or journos. Last night the BBCs editorial policy of stoking "controversy" means each individual decision is discussed in terms of "giving two sides of the story" and a consensus is never apparent even when most the decisions were blatantly obvious and the nature of the fouls was a tactical decision.

One of the reasons the game suffers here.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 10:55 AM
What a load of utter pish that last paragraph is. The fact you don’t know her name and can only call her “female” shows how uninformed you are and how you have no clue of that interviewers qualifications or experience.

Regardless of her qualifications she couldn’t string a sentence together, and asked the same two questions at least 4 times, which Robertson managed to answer time and again clearly stating his team was on the end of one but got away with a few. I don’t need to know someone’s name to know how badly they are at interviews and their knowledge of the game. I’m fairly informed to know she was female, unless you are going to tell me differently.

I also called her ‘the interviewer’ as that’s what she was, an interviewer funnily enough.

Sir David Gray
29-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Regardless of her qualifications she couldn’t string a sentence together, and asked the same two questions at least 4 times, which Robertson managed to answer time and again clearly stating his team was on the end of one but got away with a few. I don’t need to know someone’s name to know how badly they are at interviews and their knowledge of the game. I’m fairly informed to know she was female, unless you are going to tell me differently.

That's not quite what you were implying though. Her name is Jane Lewis and she's been employed to cover Scottish sport by STV and now BBC for many years and obviously has the qualifications to work in that role and isn't just there because she's female.

I don't particularly enjoy listening to her as she stutters too much for my liking but I would challenge the point that she's only there because she's female.

What about male pundits employed by BBC Scotland who apparently only get employed because they used to play for Rangers or Celtic?

wpj
29-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Back in the 80s a taxi pulled up beside me and my brother on the way to Tynie, we were invited in to get to the game. The bloke asked me what the score would be, I said as long as that week prick Robbo doesn't score, cue silence in the cab, aye my wee brother the boy said.

lucky
29-02-2020, 11:08 AM

**** him
This they clearly set out to boot Hibs off the park

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 11:12 AM
That's not quite what you were implying though. Her name is Jane Lewis and she's been employed to cover Scottish sport by STV and now BBC for many years and obviously has the qualifications to work in that role and isn't just there because she's female.

I don't particularly enjoy listening to her as she stutters too much for my liking but I would challenge the point that she's only there because she's female.

What about male pundits employed by BBC Scotland who apparently only get employed because they used to play for Rangers or Celtic?

I call that out all the time also, Boyd, Commons, Rae etc can barely string sentences together also, they don’t get to do interviews in the main but are only in the studio due to their Old Firm leanings, nothing to do with their ability to talk about football.

There is a massive difference between reporting on sport, and having to ask questions to a manager directly after a game based on the action that took place. Reporting is often scripted and just reading it out. An interview should be done by someone who has knowledge and understanding of what they are talking about. She never had a clue last night and it was clear.

If you challenge the fact she’s there because she’s female, why else is she there? You’ve just stated that she’s not good at her job as an interviewer.

Had I said I don’t like Boyd and Rae and they’re not good at their job nobody would bat an eyelid, because you say a female shouldn’t be there and isn’t good at their job then all hell breaks loose.

Northernhibee
29-02-2020, 11:13 AM

I also called her ‘the interviewer’ as that’s what she was, an interviewer funnily enough.
So what we are saying is that because you didn’t like her interview, she can only have been in her position because of her gender?

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 11:15 AM
So what we are saying is that because you didn’t like her interview, she can only have been in her position because of her gender?

That’s exactly my opinion, that was fairly clear. She’s not good at her job and clearly had no knowledge of football. I’ll let you give me another reason she’s in the job.

Northernhibee
29-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Had I said I don’t like Boyd and Rae and they’re not good at their job nobody would bat an eyelid, because you say a female shouldn’t be there and isn’t good at their job then all hell breaks loose.

Diddums, people responding to your comments. Do you need a lollipop?

Would you call out Boyd or Rae for being there because of their gender with literally no evidence to back that claim up? Would you say that’s why men should be doing interviews when you personally don’t like Boyd or Rae’s interviews?

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Diddums, people responding to your comments. Do you need a lollipop?

Would you call out Boyd or Rae for being there because of their gender with literally no evidence to back that claim up? Would you say that’s why men should be doing interviews when you personally don’t like Boyd or Rae’s interviews?

I’d call them out for being there as ex rangers and Celtic players, because that’s why they are there. It’s you that’s spat the dummy out because someone dares to question company’s motives for employing people to even up previous gender employment issues instead of employing the best people for the job.

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 11:25 AM
I’d call them out for being there as ex rangers and Celtic players, because that’s why they are there. It’s you that’s spat the dummy out because someone dares to question company’s motives for employing people to even up previous gender employment issues instead of employing the best people for the job.

You were the one who singled out Lewis' gender as a negative when making critical comments about her ability.

Don't complain when you get called out for that.

HFC93
29-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Grown men “doing the 5-1” 😂😂😂

I thought it was just 6 year olds.

Tbf we were asking him what the score was. As others have said, it's just a bit of pantomime.

SaulGoodman
29-02-2020, 11:28 AM
This site is mental sometimes.

Sir David Gray
29-02-2020, 11:32 AM
I call that out all the time also, Boyd, Commons, Rae etc can barely string sentences together also, they don’t get to do interviews in the main but are only in the studio due to their Old Firm leanings, nothing to do with their ability to talk about football.

There is a massive difference between reporting on sport, and having to ask questions to a manager directly after a game based on the action that took place. Reporting is often scripted and just reading it out. An interview should be done by someone who has knowledge and understanding of what they are talking about. She never had a clue last night and it was clear.

If you challenge the fact she’s there because she’s female, why else is she there? You’ve just stated that she’s not good at her job as an interviewer.

I said I didn't like that she stutters too much.

I don't doubt that she's qualified to do her job. You said she was an example of why females shouldn't get jobs just because they're female. That implies that she's just been picked because the BBC is trying to meet some equality quota and she's less qualified than other males who would have been competing with her for that job.

That's hugely different from saying that you're not keen on her interviewing style.

HibeeHibernian4
29-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Utterly backwards pish and I’m sure the thousands of female attendees at Easter Road every other week would take issue with it.

hibee_girl
29-02-2020, 11:34 AM
That’s exactly my opinion, that was fairly clear. She’s not good at her job and clearly had no knowledge of football. I’ll let you give me another reason she’s in the job.

She’s been in her job for over 20 years, I’d say her knowledge will be pretty good.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-02-2020, 11:35 AM
John Robertson broke my heart multiple times when I was a child. I should hate him but I've always grudgingly quite liked him. The 5-1 stuff last night was pantomime nonsense.

That's where I am too.

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Utterly backwards pish and I’m sure the thousands of female attendees at Easter Road every other week would take issue with it.

Do they all get given jobs based on their gender? There’s nothing backwards calling people out who are terrible at their job, and questioning companies who employ people purely to balance gender arguments out.

Shelley Kerr and Leanne Ross on tele know what they’re talking about and talk very well. Jane Lewis (if that’s her name) has spoken terribly every time I’ve heard her and didn’t have a clue what she was trying to ask last night about the game.

McD
29-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Do they all get given jobs based on their gender? There’s nothing backwards calling people out who are terrible at their job, and questioning companies who employ people purely to balance gender arguments out.

Shelley Kerr and Leanne Ross on tele know what they’re talking about and talk very well. Jane Lewis (if that’s her name) has spoken terribly every time I’ve heard her and didn’t have a clue what she was trying to ask last night about the game.

Unless you can provide proof the the BBC have employed her “purely to balance gender arguments out”. Otherwise it’s just your opinion, and one that shows up more about you than anything else

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Unless you can provide proof the the BBC have employed her “purely to balance gender arguments out”. Otherwise it’s just your opinion, and one that shows up more about you than anything else

So because she’s female I can’t call her out for being terrible at her job, including a horrendous interview last night, which then means we can’t question why she was employed to carry out a role of interviewing about a match, just because she’s female. I’ve no doubt she’s probably decent at reading from a script for 20 years.

Sir David Gray
29-02-2020, 12:02 PM
So because she’s female I can’t call her out for being terrible at her job, including a horrendous interview last night, which then means we can’t question why she was employed to carry out a role of interviewing about a match, just because she’s female. I’ve no doubt she’s probably decent at reading from a script for 20 years.

I'd probably just stop if I was you.

bigwheel
29-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Wasn’t it the journo Jane from the BBC...big Motherwell fan, knows her football well....more than capable in her role...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
29-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Wasn’t it the journo Jane from the BBC...big Motherwell fan, knows her football well....more than capable in her role...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you mean she has more experience than her other colleagues and probably has more of a reason to be on there than the others? Interesting.

green day
29-02-2020, 12:42 PM
I will be honest, Jane Lewis is normally quite a good interviewer.

However last night she appeared to have lost the thread of what she was asking and stuttered into asking broadly the same thing.

She should have asked if Boyle was targeted deliberately but perhaps they are all worried post M Stewart about being too "controversial"?

As for wee Robbo, if we call him a Fat Jambo and he flashes us 5-1, its all part of the fun.

McD
29-02-2020, 12:46 PM

no, you can call her out on doing a bad job, or whatever description you’d give it.

Whether she’s female is utterly irrelevant. As I said, bringing up her gender tells more about you then her, especially as you keep doubling down on it.

bigwheel
29-02-2020, 12:50 PM
I will be honest, Jane Lewis is normally quite a good interviewer.

However last night she appeared to have lost the thread of what she was asking and stuttered into asking broadly the same thing.

She should have asked if Boyle was targeted deliberately but perhaps they are all worried post M Stewart about being too "controversial"?

As for wee Robbo, if we call him a Fat Jambo and he flashes us 5-1, its all part of the fun.

That’s fair criticism if it’s your view..suggestions by others that she only got the gig because she is a female - very wide of the mark ...

Agree on the barter point [emoji106]

brog
29-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Decent interview with Robbo & reading between the lines it seems he knew Boyle should have won a penalty. Like everyone else I was appalled at the treatment meted out to Boyle but again Robbo has watched us recently & seen other teams getting away with those tactics. Incidentally the boy Carson was lucky when we scored our 2nd goal. He was already on a yellow & clattered Boyle yet again after he passed the ball.
Totally separately, I thought their right back Rooney had a good game.

hibee-boys
29-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Don't have an issue with anything Robbo said. Although he broke my heart countless times in the past he's always came across aa a decent bloke.

The 90+2
29-02-2020, 01:15 PM
He’s a bitter Jambo ****. Team of hammer throwers with clear instructions to injure a player thats been out for over a year. Let his good guys guard down last night. **** him.

29-02-2020, 01:16 PM
He gets credit for admitting he thought Boyle should have had a penalty and his keeper possibly red carded because it makes everything else he says total p¡sh. If we'd be given the penalty he thought we should have and even missed it, they'll still have been down to 10 men and on the sub goalie for 82 minutes.

mjhibby
29-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Don't have an issue with anything Robbo said. Although he broke my heart countless times in the past he's always came across aa a decent bloke.

He's a honest guy. Jane Lewis was desperately trying to get him to say something controversial. Always thought robbo was ok.

The 90+2
29-02-2020, 01:20 PM
He's a honest guy. Jane Lewis was desperately trying to get him to say something controversial. Always thought robbo was ok.

He wasn’t honest when he said that old hearts player shouldn’t have been sent off.

CockneyRebel
29-02-2020, 01:21 PM
]The treatment dished out to Boyle was little different to that which he receives every week in the premier league. [/B]I'm not certain that managers send out their players to injure him - I just think opponents realise it can be the only way to stop Martin when he's on fire! It's up to referees to offer the wee man protection and, to be fair, Walsh was pulling out the yellow card last night.

Have to disagree with that statement, the degree of last night's nastiness compared to the persistent weekly fouling was fairly obvious to me. The amount of bad tackles on Boyle that have gone unpunished since his return from serious injury have me amazed that he is still a functioning footballer.

29-02-2020, 01:28 PM

She also asked Boyle if he should have had a penalty or did he deserve to be booked. I don't blame her for the questions though, it'll be a producer or someone else behind the scenes coming up with them.

Stevie Reid
29-02-2020, 01:37 PM
As others have said, Robertson has always been an amiable guy, and respectful of Hibs. Given that, and how I’ve seen his teams play before, I was surprised at both how genuinely nasty his side were at times last night, as well as his touch line antics at certain points.

However, despite how much he’s hurt us over the years, he’s probably not even in the top 50 Hearts players that I’ve disliked over the years. There are guys that have been there for hardly any time at all compared to Robertson’s Tynie career that I have despised intensely. Proper odious characters.

He’s a decent guy.

jacomo
29-02-2020, 01:51 PM
The questioning from the interviewer was pretty poor, purely wanted to focus on the penalty claim for ICT and nothing else. To be fair to Robbo he did at least say that Hibs would have been equally aggrieved that we didnt get the Boyle penalty claim.

As ex hertz managers go, probably have more time for him than all the others.

His comments on the penalty incident were sour grapes though.

Claimed it was clear cut (it wasn’t) and then said Lewis should have had a red card. McHattie’s shirt pulling much more blatant (so easier for ref to give pen) yet he wasn’t sent off, was he?

04Sauzee
29-02-2020, 01:56 PM
His comments on the penalty incident were sour grapes though.

Claimed it was clear cut (it wasn’t) and then said Lewis should have had a red card. McHattie’s shirt pulling much more blatant (so easier for ref to give pen) yet he wasn’t sent off, was he?

McTattie wasn't even booked at the penalty yet a shirt tug anywhere else on the pitch sees him carded. He did get carded later which shoukd have been his 2nd yellow and sent off.

brog
29-02-2020, 02:36 PM
There were also 3 ICT players in the box at our pen. Thats the lino's only job, how did he miss it?

greenlex
01-03-2020, 02:51 AM
Loved the way he shook the hand of every Hibs player at the end of the game, like many others I recall the Hands Off Hibs era and he will have my undying gratitude, I still called him a yam fud during the game though

Agreed. You wouldn’t get any of those other Hearts “Legends” doing that after getting a pumping. Imagine Levein doing that? No neither can I.

CockneyRebel
01-03-2020, 08:30 AM
There were also 3 ICT players in the box at our pen. Thats the lino's only job, how did he miss it?

And the keeper stepped off his line before Hanlon struck the ball.