PDA

View Full Version : Rotational fouling

Northernhibee
28-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Something needs to be done in the rules to stop what we saw today. The ref to be fair was happy to book players early for fouls on Boyle but it should be a case that multiple fouls by multiple team mates on one player should be treated as how an individual would be treated for the same - I.e. bookings regardless of the severity of the challenge.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Levein did it for years.

tamig
28-02-2020, 09:18 PM
I agree to a point but not sure how they could implement such a rule. Aberdeen and hertz have been masters at it against us for years. A poisonous aspect of the game.

Joe6-2
28-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Something needs to be done in the rules to stop what we saw today. The ref to be fair was happy to book players early for fouls on Boyle but it should be a case that multiple fouls by multiple team mates on one player should be treated as how an individual would be treated for the same - I.e. bookings regardless of the severity of the challenge.

At least he booked them, sick to the back teeth of dirty bast**** getting away with it

Hibee Mac
28-02-2020, 09:19 PM
Absolutely agree, it frequently ruins games. Punishes flair players, stifles exciting football and is entirely out with the spirit of the game.

Something needs to be done to combat it. Aberdeen would be gutted though as they will plummet down the table 😂

28-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Pretty sure there is a rule about the same player being fouled over and over and if it happens again, no matter how bad the foul is, the next player gets booked. Sure it happened in the champs league a few years ago.

Tried to google the rule but can’t find it.

hibbydog
28-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Aberdeen-tastic. Before tonight I had no malice towards Inverness or John Robertson who I previously thought comes over as a pretty decent bloke.

Got what they deserved and it even looked like the fat wee rat was apologising to Boyle at the end.

GIRFUY

28-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Pretty sure there is a rule about the same player being fouled over and over and if it happens again, no matter how bad the foul is, the next player gets booked. Sure it happened in the champs league a few years ago.

Tried to google the rule but can’t find it.

Unless what I’m thinking about is numerous wee daft fouls where the players go unbooked. Tonight players were getting booked for it.

Michael
28-02-2020, 09:25 PM
You could book the captain every third yellow in a match for not controlling his team.

penihibs
28-02-2020, 09:28 PM
It's the Hearts way.

PH91
28-02-2020, 09:28 PM
What a load of p*sh. Good players get fouled not because they are targeted but because they are good players, especially boyle who lets the defender think they can get it before getting sway from them.

Ref was good tonight and booked players when they made tackles which warranted a booking, which is what should happen. Long may it continue.

Hibs4185
28-02-2020, 09:31 PM
3 types of caution-

Yellow- Persistent fouling, stinker of a challenge
Amber/sin bin- professional foil. Breaking up play. Anti-football.
Red-the same. 2 yellow’s or serious foul play.

Nothing worse than a 2 on 1 and a ‘professional’ foul. Totally anti football and worthy of more than a yellow card

GreenCastle
28-02-2020, 09:32 PM
Rugby do it right.

Doesn’t matter the player next player is carded or sent off.

Boyle has been targeted more than ever last few weeks - some of the tackles have been a disgrace.

Joe6-2
28-02-2020, 09:32 PM
What a load of p*sh. Good players get fouled not because they are targeted but because they are good players, especially boyle who lets the defender think they can get it before getting sway from them.

Ref was good tonight and booked players when they made tackles which warranted a booking, which is what should happen. Long may it continue.

But it doesn’t always happen!

wookie70
28-02-2020, 09:35 PM
As long as players are getting booked when making no attempt to play the ball I don't have much of an issue. The ref actually did OK in that regard maybe with the exception of the Boyle non-pen.

jacomo
28-02-2020, 09:38 PM

I’d say there was definitely a plan to target squirrel tonight.

Late, nasty challenges from the off.

Carheenlea
28-02-2020, 09:38 PM
Robertson admitted on the radio they were deserved bookings and it was simply down their players being caught out with the pace. Looked more cynical than that to me.

hibbydog
28-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Rugby do it right.

Doesn’t matter the player next player is carded or sent off.

Boyle has been targeted more than ever last few weeks - some of the tackles have been a disgrace.

Think that’s a decent point. When there’s a clear pattern going on the ref should have a word with the captain who should be made to control his troops.

Smartie
28-02-2020, 10:06 PM
Robertson admitted on the radio they were deserved bookings and it was simply down their players being caught out with the pace. Looked more cynical than that to me.

That’s not all that unreasonable an explanation. They won’t play many players as good and as quick as Boyle in their league and on each occasion I thought the player was probably right to chop him down miles from goal rather than let him get a run at the defence.

I’m not sure if the ref could do more than just keep booking them - high he did - and I don’t really think a rule change is in order.

wookie70
28-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Think that’s a decent point. When there’s a clear pattern going on the ref should have a word with the captain who should be made to control his troops.

team fouls in basketball too. It stops fouling to stop clock etc and punish teams trying to use fouling as a tactic. Definitely worth a look but we need to sort out referees not booking clear professional fouls particularly early in the game. Do that and it stops the fouling to an extent.

Clarence
28-02-2020, 10:09 PM
We need to be better at putting players who have been booked u fee pressure.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Teams like that should be kicked out of tournaments.

That was a disgrace tonight.

Mibbes Aye
28-02-2020, 11:29 PM
The classic example was Neymar for Brazil against Switzerland in the group stages of the 2018 World Cup.

I think every Swiss outfield player, including the subs, all were penalised for fouls against him, though there wasn’t exactly a surfeit of cards. I remember the TV cameras zooming in on his socks, I think towards the latter end of the first half, and they were like colanders. Holes everywhere from studs going in.

Carheenlea
28-02-2020, 11:39 PM
That’s not all that unreasonable an explanation. They won’t play many players as good and as quick as Boyle in their league and on each occasion I thought the player was probably right to chop him down miles from goal rather than let him get a run at the defence.

I’m not sure if the ref could do more than just keep booking them - high he did - and I don’t really think a rule change is in order.

To be fair to Robbo he spoke very well and honestly post match in his radio interview. Argued that his side could have had a penalty and Hibs being down to 10 men, but admitted he felt Boyle`s was a penalty and that his keeper might have seen red had it been awarded. No complaints about the outcome as the better side won but raised a chuckle when he couldn't bring himself to wish us luck in next round, but I don`t imagine anyone would have expected him to do so. One of the good guys really.

Tyler Durden
29-02-2020, 06:10 AM
Why would Hibs have gone to ten men? Their penalty claim was incredibly soft

I think it showed what players get away with in the Championship, based on the shock and incredulity on the ICT faces when they were carded for some of their fouls. Jokers

InchHibby
29-02-2020, 06:16 AM
At least he booked them, sick to the back teeth of dirty bast**** getting away with it

He did book them but didn’t send one of them of for his second deliberate foul, can’t remember who it was but it was actually worse than what he got booked for.
No doubt there plan was to take Boyle out but in the end they got what they deserved.

J-C
29-02-2020, 06:48 AM
I actually think Boyle loves the physical side of the game, the more he's getting fouled means the more he's influencing the game, so much so last night he was MOM.

Keith_M
29-02-2020, 07:02 AM
Robertson really showed his Hearts credentials and went down in my estimation last night.

Hearts pr1ck

bigwheel
29-02-2020, 07:17 AM
Robertson really showed his Hearts credentials and went down in my estimation last night.

Hearts pr1ck

Thought his after match interview was very balanced and fair ...don’t mind him at all ..

GreenCastle
29-02-2020, 07:18 AM
I actually think Boyle loves the physical side of the game, the more he's getting fouled means the more he's influencing the game, so much so last night he was MOM.

Not sure about that - his ankles will be wrecked soon.

Not sure the foul count but the last few weeks every team has taken chunks out of him.

Wait till the derby.

Basketball and rugby do it right with accumulation of fouls - football is miles behind.

Sir David Gray
29-02-2020, 07:21 AM

Not sure the foul count but the last few weeks every team has taken chunks out of him.

Wait till the derby.

Basketball and rugby do it right with accumulation of fouls - football is miles behind.

He had what looked like an ice pack strapped to his ankle at the end of the game.

Hopefully he's ok.

hibbysam
29-02-2020, 07:23 AM
He had what looked like an ice pack strapped to his ankle at the end of the game.

Hopefully he's ok.

He did. I said at 3-0 I’d have taken him off, he was on a booking and was getting lumps booted out of him. We were never going to lose the game from there and he’s our most influential player.

ballengeich
29-02-2020, 07:24 AM
It's one of things that a sin-bin would be useful for. In rugby, if a team commits a series of infringments a player eventually gets ten minutes on the side-line even if it's his first offence and the individual incident wouldn't merit that if it was the team's first.

The same goes for the professional foul. The player that commits it might get a suspension a couple of months in the future. On the day his team benefits. If they were going to play a man short for the next ten minutes players might be less ready to take cynical action.

stoneyburn hibs
29-02-2020, 07:28 AM
9/2 at halftime for a sending off, Thanks Robbo.

superfurryhibby
29-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Our game is being damaged by this cynical tactic. It’s time for action that hurts the perps and protects talents like Boyle. The sin bin idea sounds like it has mileage in it. I wonder within the rules of the game, what scope does our own governing body have for making local rules, or do changes need endorsed by Eufa etc?

hibsbollah
29-02-2020, 07:33 AM
It's commonplace throughout the game now. Man City do sly break up the game fouls week in and week out with barely a mention. A yellow for every 5th team foul given to whoever carried out the 5th foul isnt strictly fair on the player penalised but it might work....

J-C
29-02-2020, 08:02 AM

Wait till the derby.

I understand the injury risk but I feel Martin enjoys the whole getting one over a fouling team, the more they foul the more it makes him determined to get the better of them, it shows he's our main threat.

calumhibee1
29-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Whilst that’s true, it’s also true that teams just go out to flatten Boyle at every opportunity. Every single week he gets hacked down god knows how many times again by tackles that have no intention of getting the ball.

Argylehibby
29-02-2020, 08:24 AM
A word with the captain and a sin bin for 10 minutes for the next foul,on same player would work. Didn't hear the managers after match comments and his excuse as mentioned in another post is plausible but why should a players career be put in jeopardy because his players can't handle his pace and feel it's ok to kick lumps out of him as a result? Boyle has had 2 lengthy periods out because of a knee problem and getting battered as he was last night could have led to another one.

jacomo
29-02-2020, 08:36 AM
I understand the injury risk but I feel Martin enjoys the whole getting one over a fouling team, the more they foul the more it makes him determined to get the better of them, it shows he's our main threat.

He’s got a great attitude but it’s a worry seeing him being hacked down every week.

Should have got a pen last night too. His booking was not as ridiculous as the controversial Keatings one v Zombie b side but still an inexplicable decision.

Brunswickbill
29-02-2020, 08:36 AM
ICT were Hertz Lite. Hacking and “professional” fouls; falling over when near the penalty box to get free kicks for practised set pieces ; and bullying the referee. All from the Levein playbook.

Eyrie
29-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Boyle was being fouled all night and there should have been four yellow cards (including his penalty claim), not the three that were given.

That said, I thought live that he took a dive after passing to McNulty in the build up to our second and it doesn't look any better on the highlights.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
29-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Yes, but he chickened out several times to show a yellow card to a player who'd already been booked.

1875godsgift
29-02-2020, 11:22 PM
Off topic but what was Doidge booked for? From what I saw the ball came down and hit the Caley player in the face, next thing free kick to them and a booking :confused:

where'stheslope
01-03-2020, 11:25 AM
A word with the captain and a sin bin for 10 minutes for the next foul,on same player would work. Didn't hear the managers after match comments and his excuse as mentioned in another post is plausible but why should a players career be put in jeopardy because his players can't handle his pace and feel it's ok to kick lumps out of him as a result? Boyle has had 2 lengthy periods out because of a knee problem and getting battered as he was last night could have led to another one.
How would we feel if it was our player off for 10 mins, when the foul later seen to be simulation?????

Northernhibee
01-03-2020, 08:03 PM
How would we feel if it was our player off for 10 mins, when the foul later seen to be simulation?????

Should we stop awarding free kicks and penalty kicks in case it's a case of simulation?

JimBHibees
01-03-2020, 08:07 PM
Why would Hibs have gone to ten men? Their penalty claim was incredibly soft

I think it showed what players get away with in the Championship, based on the shock and incredulity on the ICT faces when they were carded for some of their fouls. Jokers

Agree never a pen Lewis was holding his arm and the guy dived. Boyle one was a stick on. Robbo needs to button it as his team were a disgrace. Very Hearts like performance.

Northernhibee
01-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Agree never a pen Lewis was holding his arm and the guy dived. Boyle one was a stick on. Robbo needs to button it as his team were a disgrace. Very Hearts like performance.

They could easily have finished with eight men - Trafford should have been off without a shadow of a doubt and McHattie was walking a fine line all night, and deserved a booking for dissent after his protestations at the red card on the night, as well as deserving a booking for the penalty that was given.

The more I hear his interview, the more it ended up sounding like the game was scrappy from both sides when the truth is anything but.

Dazzjw1875
02-03-2020, 09:50 AM
I can guarantee right now Boyle will be there target right from the off trying to get him injured,

Argylehibby
02-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Not very happy I admit but happier than I would be if our player was out for the rest of the season because the 4th in line to foul him did his knee in.

scoopyboy
02-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Its nothing new, I recall Airdrie players taking turns at thumping Mickey Weir at Broomfield about 1991.

They would man mark him and foul him at every opportunity, when the inevitable yellow came they just moved the next one in.

Jimmy Boyle was one of them.