PDA

View Full Version : What if 2019/20 season was cancelled due to spread of coronavirus

foxy
28-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Imagine this was to impact the SPFL and saved Hearts from relegation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8056083/Liverpool-NOT-assured-title-Government-orders-games-cancelled-coronavirus.html

JXM73
28-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Be funnier down south with the scousers denied first title in 30 years....

DH1875
28-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Be even funnier if sevco reached the Europa league final and it got scrapped.

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2020, 01:30 PM

this 😂😀👌

Eyrie
28-02-2020, 01:30 PM
I'd think that enough games have been played that the season should simply have an early finish, which would mean Celtc winning the league ahead of Sevco, Motherwell and Aberdeen in Europe, us in fifth/sixth (depending on when the finish occurs) and Hamilton in the play off spot.

Pretty Boy
28-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Is there any real threat of sporting events being cancelled in the UK imminently? A lot of paper talk but a lot of the meetings etc seem to be precautionary, following standard practice and about having contingency plans in place of required.

There have been 19 cases in the UK and, as of now, no confirmed cases of person to person transmission in this country. Every case has been linked to Asia, Italy or Tenerife. The Ireland v Italy rugby game is a different scenario because of the scale of the outbreak in Italy. The article linked suggests Cheltenham is 'in doubt'. I have tickets and received an email yesterday advising as of now there is no plan to cancel the event, conversations with all authorities have seen no concern raised about the event going ahead and the current plan is for racing to start on Tuesday 10th March as planned. Do I believe the Jockey Club who own Cheltenham racecourse or do I believe the Daily Mail?

Viva_Palmeiras
28-02-2020, 01:51 PM
It’s be just like their luck!

Difficult to get a sense of proportion in this all. What’s in the rule book? If that’s not applied then lawsuit city ...

theonlywayisup
28-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Is there any real threat of sporting events being cancelled in the UK imminently? A lot of paper talk but a lot of the meetings etc seem to be precautionary, following standard practice and about having contingency plans in place of required.

There have been 19 cases in the UK and, as of now, no confirmed cases of person to person transmission in this country. Every case has been linked to Asia, Italy or Tenerife. The Ireland v Italy rugby game is a different scenario because of the scale of the outbreak in Italy. The article linked suggests Cheltenham is 'in doubt'. I have tickets and received an email yesterday advising as of now there is no plan to cancel the event, conversations with all authorities have seen no concern raised about the event going ahead and the current plan is for racing to start on Tuesday 10th March as planned. Do I believe the Jockey Club who own Cheltenham racecourse or do I believe the Daily Mail?

And Tenerife was linked to a family from Italy.

I suppose the problem is that it could spread at an alarming rate and it takes a bit of time before you become aware that you've got the virus - the incubation period between infection and showing any symptoms lasts up to 14 days. As far as we know, for example, there could have been people in Portugal infected who pass it on to The Rangers' fans who travelled to the Braga game, who then pass it on to colleagues across Scotland. That could all happen before we know there's people in Portugal with the virus.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Games would be played behind closed doors before they even think about calling off the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
28-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Good old Daily Mail. Look at the Cheltenham section. At the top of the article it says Cheltenham Festival in doubt. Below the pic it says Cheltenham Festival to go ahead :greengrin

SlickShoes
28-02-2020, 01:59 PM
I don't think this is realistic that the season is cancelled but I live in Switzerland and the government has just banned any event consisting of more than 1000 people, so all Swiss football games are off until further notice as well as loads of other events including the Geneva Motor Show which will lose about $25m

Box 17
28-02-2020, 02:10 PM
It's the Daily Mail, they just love a pandemic. Pages and pages of scaremongering.

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2020, 03:16 PM
this 😂😀👌

I disagree 😂

lyonhibs
28-02-2020, 03:28 PM
All major events in Switzerland with more than 1000 spectators are now banned with fewer confirmed cases than the UK although the per capita ratio of infection is way higher over here. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the sporting seasons were unaffected entirely (meaning no games played behind closed doors or anything)

CB_NO3
28-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Get that newspaper to F

The 90+2
28-02-2020, 03:39 PM
No danger. All games would be played behind closed doors with extra money coming in from tv companies.

Hibee87
28-02-2020, 03:42 PM
I don't think this is realistic that the season is cancelled but I live in Switzerland and the government has just banned any event consisting of more than 1000 people, so all Swiss football games are off until further notice as well as loads of other events including the Geneva Motor Show which will lose about $25m
Any particular reason or just being over cautious?
im not really concerned, but I was in Switzerland last weekend (Montreaux, just noticed your in laussane so just down the road really. What a stunning place btw :agree:)

A Hi-Bee
28-02-2020, 03:54 PM
The jambiods are a ****in virus

28-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Could they not just play them all behind closed doors and maybe broadcast them on tv?

Waxy
28-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Imagine the rage. Liverpool, Dundee utd having to try and win the championship from scratch again.All the bookies having to refund every bet.It just couldnt happen.

The 90+2
Could they not just play them all behind closed doors and maybe broadcast them on tv?

That’s what will happen. The tv companies will have to give more cash and the government would abolish the 3pm Sat rule temporarily.

The 90+2
The jambiods are a ****in virus

Correct.

Baader
28-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Doubt any of it will come to pass, just the usual scaremongering about foreign people and infection from that rag. Euro 2020 could potentially be an issue if it doesn't clear up by summer though with so many games in different countries. Realistically though if they are scared about tens of thousands congregating en masse at football then pretty much every tube station in London would need shut down!

HibbySpurs
28-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Would there not be a case if say every team had played each other 3 times and the season was then curtailed that the league at that point stood and any games after voided so as to get a result for the league?

Cups could be wrapped up following the lifting of a suspension?

lyonhibs
28-02-2020, 09:42 PM
im not really concerned, but I was in Switzerland last weekend (Montreaux, just noticed your in laussane so just down the road really. What a stunning place btw :agree:)

Montreux. Montreux. Sorry, a personal bugbear of mine working in the travel industry. But yes, it's a stunning, stunning place in general.

I think it is overkill, but this thing is spreading and the Swiss have done rather well for centuries seeking to keep the problems of the wider world outside their borders so I'm not surprised.

To clarify, the Swiss FA has taken a separate decision to cancel *all* football games this weekend, right down to pub league like the 1 I play in where attendances are zilch.

Hibrandenburg
28-02-2020, 10:13 PM
Imagine this was to impact the SPFL and saved Hearts from relegation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8056083/Liverpool-NOT-assured-title-Government-orders-games-cancelled-coronavirus.html

Hearts are likely to suffer more than most. Due to their lack of gene variation their fanbase could be decimated.

SlickShoes
02-03-2020, 11:08 AM

I think they are just trying to get ahead of it and stop it spreading rapidly, they will get some time to figure out what's happening at least.

Yeah it is nice over here, the views over to the Alps are amazing, as is the lake! just wish it was cheaper!

mjhibby
02-03-2020, 11:16 AM
It's the Daily Mail, they just love a pandemic. Pages and pages of scaremongering.

They and the express write at least one ridiculously sensationlist story every week which is utter garbage to try and sell papers while never telling the truth about the conmen at no 10. Utter comics and right wing propaganda sheets.