PDA

View Full Version : 10 years since the last game in front of old East Stand

Since452
27-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Today marks the 10th anniversary since the last match was played in from you the old East Stand. What merories of the old East do people's still have?

For me it was where my old man took me to my first game. Sure it was a draw with Motherwell with Leighton saving a pen.

Also remember the big guy that used to sing his Hibees Lullaby. What happened to him? Is he still around?

Col L
27-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Today marks the 10th anniversary since the last match was played in from you the old East Stand. What merories of the old East do people's still have?

For me it was where my old man took me to my first game. Sure it was a draw with Motherwell with Leighton saving a pen.

Also remember the big guy that used to sing his Hibees Lullaby. What happened to him? Is he still around?

Got some great memories of the old East. My first memories were of the old East Terrace, but my favourite memory after the roof went on was the 'Souness Game'. 27,000 packed into Easter Road, a frenzied atmosphere and a game to match. Beating them 2-1 and Souness rightly getting a red card for his brutal, cowardly assault on McCluskey made it one of these games you just never forget. The 6-2 game was pretty special in there too!

ABZHFC
27-02-2020, 10:03 AM
I see our last game in front of the East Stand was a 1-1 draw with St Johnstone scoring a late equaliser, some things never change

JeMeSouviens
27-02-2020, 11:00 AM
When Paco Luna missed his last minute header v AEK, I kicked the concrete post of the seat in front and had a memorably sore toe afterwards. :rolleyes:

WeeRussell
27-02-2020, 11:12 AM
I thought it was longer but that'll be right enough. I recall a rendition of a few old songs from over the years on the last game, along with "fairwell to the terracing".

Place hasn't been the same without it for me.

ScottB
27-02-2020, 11:16 AM
My first ever game was in there, can’t fully remember against who, but it was in the First Division and Stevie Crawford scored...

Bostonhibby
27-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Got some great memories of the old East. My first memories were of the old East Terrace, but my favourite memory after the roof went on was the 'Souness Game'. 27,000 packed into Easter Road, a frenzied atmosphere and a game to match. Beating them 2-1 and Souness rightly getting a red card for his brutal, cowardly assault on McCluskey made it one of these games you just never forget. The 6-2 game was pretty special in there too!Souness game is one of my favourites. I was on the East that day and bid for a press photo of the fight in the middle of the pitch at the time because I thought one of my mate's had been captured in the photo but we were just out of shot when it arrived[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JXM73
27-02-2020, 11:33 AM
First game at easter road 4-4 vs Dundee....

TimeForHeroes16
27-02-2020, 11:34 AM
AEK Athens I was just a wee nipper I’m sure I didn’t even have a seat and neither did many next to me it was defo beyond capacity what a atmosphere that was at 5 years old

Jakhog1
27-02-2020, 11:38 AM
One of the funniest for me was when we all stated singing to Stevie Fulton booked for being ugly chant, literally everyone in unison

Since452
27-02-2020, 11:42 AM
The rugby ball being thrown on during the derby was also really funny

BILLYHIBS
27-02-2020, 11:57 AM
A packed East and a young Eddie May coming on to score the winner with a diving header against Celtic to win a Scottish Cup Quarter Final 4-3 and a random old guy grabbing the young Billyhibs and shouting “ Eddie May a star is born!” and the Celtic casuals couldnae take a beating fair and square came on the pitch looking for a pagger at the full time whistle

Halcyon days

Let’s hope for more tomorrow night

JeMeSouviens
27-02-2020, 11:59 AM
My first game was the Scottish Cup derby vs them in 1979 (2-1 to the good guys!), away up on Shaw's Heights. I wonder if the new East Stand or the old terracing would be higher?

LongJohnBanger
27-02-2020, 12:02 PM
The "You're not unbeatable" derby. Having missed the AEK game due to being laid up with a dislocated knee, that is my favourite all time Easter Road atmosphere.

The old boy up the back already mentioned

The boy who was about comatose after necking his special bottle of absinthe and cannabis seeds and was carried out by a mate of mine in the polis during the 2-1 Killen heider from a Whittaker cross to win it against Rangers game.

Spending years and years in there forging the amazing friendships I still have with my mates today.

The Harp
27-02-2020, 12:09 PM
I see our last game in front of the East Stand was a 1-1 draw with St Johnstone scoring a late equaliser, some things never change

Yeah, that sounds right. The last Hibs goal in front of the old East was scored by Colin Nish.

CraigHibee
27-02-2020, 12:14 PM

the opera singer, loved that guy, not sure where he is now but i loved the old east, it had character.

the 6-2 game was one i will never forget in the east, the atmosphere was electric

hfc rd
27-02-2020, 12:42 PM
First and only time I sat in the old east was the 81% Edinburgh derby. Rob Jones scored the only goal of the game and we went on to win the cup. What an atmosphere and absolute utter bedlam when he scored to put us one up!

1-0 completely flattered them that night as it should have been a cricket score. Craig Gordon had an unbelievable game for them.

Tambo
27-02-2020, 12:47 PM
My dad would never take me to the old east as a kid lol but one time we did for the first game back in the premiership under big eck vs Motherwell 2-2 it finished with Lehmann getting a brace.

JimBHibees
27-02-2020, 12:52 PM
One of my favourite memories of the old East was Garry O scoring the winner in the 10 man Derby the place went absolutely mental. Superb.

Smartie
27-02-2020, 12:56 PM
I really miss the old East.

A big bit of my Hibs supporting experience died the day it was pulled down.

Keith_M
27-02-2020, 01:13 PM
I was there :greengrin

Never got a seat, though.

Come to think of it, I was at the the very first game after they finally put a roof over the East Terrace, in 1985(?).

Shows how times have changed because I remember thinking how fantastic it was that the Hibs 'end' was finally covered.

lyonhibs
27-02-2020, 01:14 PM
I binned off a date last minute with my now wife because was it not announced relatively last minute that it would be the last game for the stand? I cringe a little bit thinking about it now tbh, I was very nearly dumped :greengrin

Hibeesmad
27-02-2020, 01:19 PM
I binned off a date last minute with my now wife because was it not announced relatively last minute that it would be the last game for the stand? I cringe a little bit thinking about it now tbh, I was very nearly dumped :greengrin

Should have took her with you 😉

G B Young
27-02-2020, 01:32 PM
I went to a lot of games when we still had the massive East terracing, which then got chopped in half a few years before the roof got put on. I was glad that some cover had been provided but I still can't believe Kenny Waugh went for the cheapest possible option which entailed having those massive pillars holding the roof up.

Keith_M
27-02-2020, 01:37 PM
I went to a lot of games when we still had the massive East terracing, which then got chopped in half a few years before the roof got put on. I was glad that some cover had been provided but I still can't believe Kenny Waugh went for the cheapest possible option which entailed having those massive pillars holding the roof up.

Nine pillars, at a time when other clubs were installing cantilever roofs.

DaveF
27-02-2020, 01:41 PM
The guy selling maccaroon bars and chewing gum. The programme hut at the top of the stairs.

Game wise, it was the souness rammy, the 6-2 derby and getting beat 2-1 by Dundee United in 1986.

Peevemor
27-02-2020, 01:45 PM

Nine pillars, at a time when other clubs were installing cantilever roofs.

A cantilever roof needs very, very solid foundations for the main columns. Kenny Waugh's rood was built on the old terracing which was a heap of landfill. A cantilever roof would have required mega-deep pile foundations which would have been ridiculously expensive.

I was sad to see the omd massive terracing being reduced in height, but give Kenny Waugh his due, he covered the fans at a period when cash was extremely tight.

Squealing pig
27-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Amazing times , atmosphere wise , needs replicated at some part of the ground with singing section and standing , the old east stand was bouncing

Wakeyhibee
27-02-2020, 02:06 PM
The Souness game and Anderlecht were the highlights for me. I was late for the kick off at the Souness game, could only just get in the end section under the roof by the corner and got in just in time to see him sent off.

Anderlecht was a mental atmosphere under the TV gantry.

bobbyhibs1983
27-02-2020, 02:33 PM
so many good memories!
I remember during the mobray years.my sisters and i moved from the west stand to the old east,In the west we sat beside a guy whom wore specks,whom never spoke to us.When we moved over to the eat guess whom was there?

another memory from around that time was in a game where our keeper makalamby (sp) was looking a lil nervous and was taking it easy when he turns to the east and told us to calm us down which got a cheer!

i recall once there seemed to be a couple of houses (or flats) were on fire and somehow people started singing *the house is on fire the house is on fire* to whatever tune it was ( dont recall!)

like a few posters above when i was waaay younger my dad took me to the east and every game he would see someone he knew and i always thought it was amazing . like he knew soooo many people !

Col L
27-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Yeah, that sounds right. The last Hibs goal in front of the old East was scored by Colin Nish.

It was a Stokesy penalty in that game.

Col L
27-02-2020, 02:43 PM
A packed East and a young Eddie May coming on to score the winner with a diving header against Celtic to win a Scottish Cup Quarter Final 4-3 and a random old guy grabbing the young Billyhibs and shouting “ Eddie May a star is born!” and the Celtic casuals couldnae take a beating fair and square came on the pitch looking for a pagger at the full time whistle

Halcyon days

Let’s hope for more tomorrow night

Great game that one, absolutely crazy ending. That was the same season that we drew 4-4 and then beat them on pens in the Skol (League) Cup. Brilliant exuberance at the end of both as Hibbies piled on to the pitch to celebrate.

BILLYHIBS
27-02-2020, 03:17 PM

1-1 at home versus St Johnstone 27/2/10 IIRC

Since452
27-02-2020, 03:27 PM
Some great memories, thanks for sharing. Was at a good few of the ones mentioned. It was a fabulous place for atmosphere. Wasn't too keen on having to stand on the seat to see what was happening down at the corners though 😂

Smartie
27-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Some great memories, thanks for sharing. Was at a good few of the ones mentioned. It was a fabulous place for atmosphere. Wasn't too keen on having to stand on the seat to see what was happening down at the corners though 😂

I was V114 and just stood on the seat in front of me every week for 90 minutes.

Couldn’t tell you my seat number now. I only go to it for big games, just go to the empty spaces at either end of the East stand depending on which way Hibs are shooting most weeks these days.

weecounty hibby
27-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Anderlecht when the attendance given was 24000 but felt like at least another 10000 in. 79 SC 1/4 final v hearts, beating them 2-1 and watching them all fight amongst themselves. George Best ER debut v Partick. Best scoring V celtic and the Hibbies singing his name. Ally McCoist scoring a screamer for St Johnstone in a LC group game. Souness game, 1st derby after the takeover bid poisonous atmosphere but really showed how much Hibs meant to so many. Celtic CS gas game, 4-4 penalty kick win and 4-3 SC win in the same season against celtic. Beating Der Hun in LC semi 2-0. Bonny Ginsburg game v huns where we beat them 2-0. Being there when Aberdeen won the league. Gordon Rae testimonial v Man U. My first ever ST was for the old east. These are just quickly off the top of my head. Many happy memories and a lot of unhappy, cold wet ones too. Thankfully confined to history now as we progress as a club

Smartie
27-02-2020, 03:53 PM
AEK was special.

I remember a Hearts team-mate having a quiet word in Stefano Salvatore's ear to explain what the "Salvatore's wife's a w****" chant was all about and then he had a funny wee smirk at us.

Keith_M
27-02-2020, 07:58 PM
A cantilever roof needs very, very solid foundations for the main columns. Kenny Waugh's rood was built on the old terracing which was a heap of landfill. A cantilever roof would have required mega-deep pile foundations which would have been ridiculously expensive.

I was sad to see the omd massive terracing being reduced in height, but give Kenny Waugh his due, he covered the fans at a period when cash was extremely tight.

There were no complaints from me about finally having a roof, just a bit surprised that it needed so many pillars.

hibbyfraelibby
27-02-2020, 08:05 PM

Remember the Fairs Cup gane v Liverpool during the miners strike?. Floodlights killed at half time to save fuel because we had borrowed the generator from the Northern because it was a scheduled power cut night and at the top of the East upper you could not see a thing it was so dar up there and there were vampires!

Hibs4185
27-02-2020, 08:12 PM
The only time in my life I managed to start a song.

Speedy
27-02-2020, 08:18 PM
The 3-2 Boruc game was very memorable in the East.

Other thing that springs to mind are the toilets. Literally pissing against a wall.

Nicho87
27-02-2020, 08:21 PM
My earlier derby memory in the east was lavety and Harper game winning 2-1. Great memory

Pinkie
27-02-2020, 09:07 PM
I have many memories of the old east from late 80s through to the early 2000s but the one that always sticks out was a game against Dundee Utd, probably about 1990/91. It was still terracing and the crowd was probably less than 10,000, so it wasn't very densely filled.

We were 2-0 down in the 2nd half and going nowhere when suddenly Gareth Evans acored two very similar goals on the break in the space of about 4 minutes. We were still bouncing about celebrating the equaliser, not really watching the game properly, when Keithy popped up with a header to make it 3-2. Absolute bedlam, and my brother and I both got knocked flat in the celebrations. My brother was only about 10 or 11 but absolutely loving it.

Not a particularly significant fixture, and not a big crowd, but the closest I have come to an injury in a football ground. Happy days.

mca
27-02-2020, 09:31 PM
I thought it was longer but that'll be right enough. I recall a rendition of a few old songs from over the years on the last game, along with "fairwell to the terracing".

Place hasn't been the same without it for me.

Pretty sure just about every old song in the book got sung that day.. :greengrin

Oh 2 be a hibee, he's here Mickey Weir, Joe Joe Super Joe everybody, Booked for being Ugly, Cheer up Jimmy Jeffries, Who Ate all the pies.. some really good songs that day

BILLYHIBS
27-02-2020, 09:36 PM
My earlier derby memory in the east was lavety and Harper game winning 2-1. Great memory

Hearts thought they still had a chance of winning the League that day but we knew we were probably going to go down but hey........
It would be rude not to ...😁

O'Rourke3
27-02-2020, 09:44 PM
I have many memories of the old east from late 80s through to the early 2000s but the one that always sticks out was a game against Dundee Utd, probably about 1990/91. It was still terracing and the crowd was probably less than 10,000, so it wasn't very densely filled.

We were 2-0 down in the 2nd half and going nowhere when suddenly Gareth Evans acored two very similar goals on the break in the space of about 4 minutes. We were still bouncing about celebrating the equaliser, not really watching the game properly, when Keithy popped up with a header to make it 3-2. Absolute bedlam, and my brother and I both got knocked flat in the celebrations. My brother was only about 10 or 11 but absolutely loving it.

Not a particularly significant fixture, and not a big crowd, but the closest I have come to an injury in a football ground. Happy days.This was going to bevone of mine too. Hogmanay a few weeks after the LC win against Dunfermline. Evans coming on was half the solution. Jim McLean taking Duncan Ferguson off at 0 -2 because he thought the game was won was incredibly significant.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

marleyhib
27-02-2020, 09:50 PM
6-2, AEK both tremendous, loved it when it was a covered terrace, always a great atmosphere, with some sways. i remember sunbathing on the old massive terrace shortly before it was knocked down. could walk round from the cow shed to the east at half time too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Gravity fed bogs. Slapping the lintel on the way out. David Duff and Jim Gray mixing with fans on the terracing when played Hamilton. I thought that they would take us to a new level.....

BILLYHIBS
27-02-2020, 10:50 PM
Big sway against the fencing the Souness game as it all kicked off

The surge of the crowd and the anticipation when the Juke Box got the ball

The Hearts Cup game when Big Jonesy scored

(Sky Sports recorded yams 24% possession )

CS gas Celtic game

Mickey Stewart rocket versus the Sheep

Eddie May winner versus the Hearts last game I attended with my dear old dad

(4/1/1989 27200 crammed into ER that day)

Harper and ONeill goals versus the Hearts on Neer Day

Showing my age but Big Dode Stewart and Gogs Rae goals versus Hearts in the Scottish Cup QF

Davey Beaumont not halfing Wayne Foster when he had the chance

Lavety and Harper to bring high flying Hearts back down to earth

Andy Goram telling Houchey to take the pen versus Liege Oh dear!

Gordon Chisholms debut goal versus the Hun in the League Cup Semi

James Collins winner versus Hearts

Joe Harper’s winner versus Liverpool in the soaking rain

Hibs versus AEK Athens the very first SOL

Hibs versus Anderlecht Sporting Lisbon Leeds United Juventus Rosenberg Malmo ( the first time) Hamburg Lokomotiv Leeds and Liverpool again

Almost every home game from 68 including all of The Tornadoes home games and most of the aways

All brilliant memories witnessed from the East

( apart from CS gas obviously)

ehf
27-02-2020, 11:10 PM
The 3-1 win against the yams when Sauzee lost a tooth when scoring.

wearehibernian
27-02-2020, 11:21 PM

First game was against Coventry round 1981... I think a round robin tournament, I can't remember the score but my dad took me and I loved seeing the old East terrace opposite with it's sprawling embankment. I just knew that the East was the place for me after that... Said a million times before but loved the foot stomping shouts of 'Hibees' in the wing stand too! Hated being in Hibs kids at the other wing stand even though i was a Hibs kid at the time. :wink: :flag:

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2020, 05:34 AM
Big sway against the fencing the Souness game as it all kicked off

The surge of the crowd and the anticipation when the Juke Box got the ball

The Hearts Cup game when Big Jonesy scored

(Sky Sports recorded yams 24% possession )

CS gas Celtic game

Mickey Stewart rocket versus the Sheep

Eddie May winner versus the Hearts last game I attended with my dear old dad

(4/1/1989 27200 crammed into ER that day)

Harper and ONeill goals versus the Hearts on Neer Day

Showing my age but Big Dode Stewart and Gogs Rae goals versus Hearts in the Scottish Cup QF

Davey Beaumont not halfing Wayne Foster when he had the chance

Lavety and Harper to bring high flying Hearts back down to earth

Andy Goram telling Houchey to take the pen versus Liege Oh dear!

Gordon Chisholms debut goal versus the Hun in the League Cup Semi

James Collins winner versus Hearts

Joe Harper’s winner versus Liverpool in the soaking rain

Hibs versus AEK Athens the very first SOL

Hibs versus Anderlecht Sporting Lisbon Leeds United Juventus Rosenberg Malmo ( the first time) Hamburg Lokomotiv Leeds and Liverpool again

Almost every home game from 68 including all of The Tornadoes home games and most of the aways

All brilliant memories witnessed from the East

( apart from CS gas obviously)

Your memory is off, Collins never scored a winner Vs Hearts

SideBurns
28-02-2020, 05:35 AM
Motherwell at home, 1985-86 season. Didnae go to many games with my dad back then, but did that day. At 0-0, a few guys in front of us were moaning at John Collins, asking why a wee laddie was on the pitch? My dad (never one to pass up the opportunity for an argument) said to them, "What's wrong with ye, dae yaise no' like fitba players or somethin'??". Went on to win 4-0, JC scored the 4th with a raker, got MotM and whole east terracing were singing, "One Johnny Collins". The group in front of us had long since moved on 😁

Ended up at the dugs at Powderhall with the auld man later that night (me that is, no' JC). Great day oot!

Since452
28-02-2020, 05:38 AM

My first ever derby! My old man lost his **** when Harper scored and accidentally whacked me across the head in the bedlam. I had tears in my eyes. Not because of my sore head but because of being completely in awe of my heros in green and white.

Remember that game like it was yesterday.

Phil MaGlass
28-02-2020, 05:45 AM
Loved the atmosphere in the East when it was the proper old east, open terracing, then also when it got the roof, great when it was packed but, only drawback you couldn't outrun the beer farts, nowhere to hide. The Souness game was one of the best.

To this day have still never smelled an atmosphere like the Scottish game anywhere in the world.

BILLYHIBS
28-02-2020, 06:11 AM
Your memory is off, Collins never scored a winner Vs Hearts

First in a 2-1 win Craig penalty won it for us

Getting a bit too misty eyed methinks :greengrin

lyonhibs
28-02-2020, 06:34 AM
A couple of personal ones.

- fulfilling a long held ambition and calling Roy Keane a **** from a safe distance when he swung by on his retirement tour

- losing the plot in a big way after a last minute og by - I think - our current boss from an Ian Murray cross gave us a late, late 2-1 win

- the game vs Rangers just after George Best had died. We absolutely murdered them, 1st half especially. One of Kevin Thomson's finest games for us.

Squealing pig
28-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Matty Jack game v Dundee United, and Didier agathe debut spring to mind, most games under mobray were pretty enjoyable in there too

Since452
28-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Took my first girlfriend to the derby where O'Connor scored in the last minute. Embarrassed myself by taking my top off and twirling it around my head at the goal. Relationship ended not long after 😂 Remember leaving down the steps of the east stand and everyone singing "10 men, we only need 10 men".

bigwheel
28-02-2020, 09:05 AM
The pierce O’Leary penalty game when we knocked Celtic out of the cup....East was superb that night

Peevemor
28-02-2020, 09:08 AM
The pierce O’Leary penalty game when we knocked Celtic out of the cup....East was superb that night

I was in the old North enclosure that night. It was well over capacity and at times I had real difficulty breathing in the crush.

Col L
28-02-2020, 09:12 AM
First game was against Coventry round 1981... I think a round robin tournament, I can't remember the score but my dad took me and I loved seeing the old East terrace opposite with it's sprawling embankment. I just knew that the East was the place for me after that... Said a million times before but loved the foot stomping shouts of 'Hibees' in the wing stand too! Hated being in Hibs kids at the other wing stand even though i was a Hibs kid at the time. :wink: :flag:

That was 1979 - the Skol Festival Trophy, with Hibs, Man City and Coventry. You are even older than you think :) That is one of my earliest memories on the East, but the first game I truly remember was beating the Jambos 2-1 in the Scottish Cup quarters earlier that same year. Total riot in the Dunbar End - they didn't like it up em!!

Peevemor
28-02-2020, 09:21 AM
That was 1979 - the Skol Festival Trophy, with Hibs, Man City and Coventry. You are even older than you think :) That is one of my earliest memories on the East, but the first game I truly remember was beating the Jambos 2-1 in the Scottish Cup quarters earlier that same year. Total riot in the Dunbar End - they didn't like it up em!!

It was my first match.

JeMeSouviens
28-02-2020, 09:31 AM
It was my first match.

The cup QF was my first match. I don't actually remember much about the game except I think we had a goal disallowed and I thought it was 3-1 for ages afterwards. I do distinctly remember asking my dad why the Hearts fans were fighting each other. He didn't know. I still don't. :confused:

lyonhibs
28-02-2020, 09:58 AM

You also must have been light years ahead of your time to witness most away games from 1968 onwards from the old East :greengrin

The Harp
28-02-2020, 10:06 AM

I was certain it was Nish, but I've looked it up and you're right.

Gloucester Hibs
28-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Wasn't in the East all that often, had a ST in the Cowshed, FF, then the West Upper once it was built. Some memorable games I was in the East for:

2-1 win over Hearts 1998 Harper & Lavety with 2 beauties!
1-1 draw with Hearts 2003 Deeks 30-yard screamer
2-2 draw with Anderlecht I was actually ball boy situated pretty central in the East

.Sean.
28-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Never had a season ticket in the old East but was in there a load of times. One of my earliest Hibs memories was the play off against Airdrie in 1997 and it sticks in my mind for the sole reason their goalie never had a number on his top for some reason, I’d have been 6.

I can also mind being in the East and pumping Dunfermline 5-1 around the time of the AEK game.

Riordan chipping Neil Alexander from 20 yards was probably the best goal I seen from there.

Kato
28-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Me and a mate did some work on the old main stand as the old east terrace was cropped and the East "Stand" went up. Everybody on the job were Hibs fans and there was more than a few tears shed as Shaws Heights was flattened. Like everyone I grew to love "the East" and had a right good laugh in there. Shaws Heights were brilliant though, as Billy Connolly said, standing up there was the best view of a football match available in Scottish Football.

Since452
28-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Remember both Chic Charnley and Pat McGinley scoring from the half way line. Could very well have been in the same season

shamo9
28-02-2020, 12:12 PM

2014. Old East was long gone by then.

JeMeSouviens
28-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Remember both Chick Charnley and Pat McGinley scoring from the half way line. Could very well have been in the same season

Charnley v Alloa and McGinlay v Killie. Might even have been consecutive home games!

Edit: checked and yes they were! The glory of the Duff Jimmy years. :wink:

Since452
28-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Charnley v Alloa and McGinlay v Killie. Might even have been consecutive home games!

That's right. There was no footage of the Charnley one if I remember rightly as the cameras weren't there!

BILLYHIBS
28-02-2020, 12:20 PM
You also must have been light years ahead of your time to witness most away games from 1968 onwards from the old East :greengrin

Naw it was called The Carlton Branch

BILLYHIBS
28-02-2020, 12:24 PM
2014. Old East was long gone by then.

👍🏾

Kato
28-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Edit: checked and yes they were! The glory of the Duff Jimmy months. :wink:

Fixed that

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Jamesie
28-02-2020, 12:49 PM
This thread just reminds me that I've still to find a joiner who can create a couple of stools on which I can affix the East Stand seats I bought when they were being sold off - anyone managed to find someone who can do this?

Hakim Sar
28-02-2020, 03:19 PM
My memories include having to stand up and crane your neck to the left, leaning forward, anytime Hibs were attacking up the slope and the ball was in the blind spot at the corner flag. A small thing but emblematic of the east for me.

Also remember being a wee boy in the cow shed watching the bunnets and plumes of smoke rising up during the games. Makes it all seem so old fashioned.

The sauzee teeth header, the Agathe Dundee game stick out too.

But the funniest was catching the ball one time it went out for a throw. Sure it was Hibs vs Raith that day. Pat McGinley, in anticipation of a quick attacking throw, yelled at me “Geez the baw you wee ****!”. I was about 10.

Anyways... the east was an absolute toilet and I never actually liked it anyways haha.

BILLYHIBS
28-02-2020, 03:33 PM
My memories include having to stand up and crane your neck to the left, leaning forward, anytime Hibs were attacking up the slope and the ball was in the blind spot at the corner flag. A small thing but emblematic of the east for me.

Also remember being a wee boy in the cow shed watching the bunnets and plumes of smoke rising up during the games. Makes it all seem so old fashioned.

But the funniest was catching the ball one time it went out for a throw. Sure it was Hibs vs Raith that day. Pat McGinley, in anticipation of a quick attacking throw, yelled at me “Geez the baw you wee ****!”. I was about 10.

Anyways... the east was an absolute toilet and I never actually liked it anyways haha.

Ha Ha!

Reminded me 1969 we were playing fitba at Holyrood Park our Head Coach said he would take all the hibbies in his car roond to ER as the gates opened 1620

Hibs v Partick Thistle we are all standing North East corner flag ball comes to me ah grabs it Johnny Hamilton comes across long black hair bright red coupon puts his arms oot ah chucks the baw back at him he places the baw beside the corner flag turns to me with a wee smile oan his face and says “ Ahm f#@king knackered!”

The 90+2
28-02-2020, 03:47 PM
A couple of personal ones.

- fulfilling a long held ambition and calling Roy Keane a **** from a safe distance when he swung by on his retirement tour

- losing the plot in a big way after a last minute og by - I think - our current boss from an Ian Murray cross gave us a late, late 2-1 win

- the game vs Rangers just after George Best had died. We absolutely murdered them, 1st half especially. One of Kevin Thomson's finest games for us.

That game against Rangers was the best I’ve ever seen us play. Ferguson got sent off I think.
Personally in the East, Athens, 6-2 or randomly 3-3 I think it was against Rangers when Boozy played sweeper and Kev McCann scored a peach. 7-0 in midweek against Livi was great too.

The 90+2
28-02-2020, 03:49 PM

The east was brilliant. Had my season ticket there from 00 until it got knocked down. Maybe it was the group at my bit was amazing.