PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gordon, the man

theonlywayisup
27-02-2020, 07:10 AM
Lots has been written about the future plans, but I thought it would be good to focus on Ron Gordon, the man.

Yesterday was really the first time that I've listened to the man. My god, I was so impressed. He was so positive about our future, though highlighting that we all need to work together. There was almost a tear in my eye when he talked about how great a club Hibernian Football Club is. Also, about what we could become.

I really enjoyed listening to Ron. It's now up to us to back him, which I'm sure that the majority of Hibs fans will do.

Yes there are topics that stimulate many heated debates on Hibs.net, but we need to start trusting Ron and his team to address these in a way that is best for all Hibs fans.

Looking at this message board, the Singing Section generates a lot of discussion. Whatever your views, I've confidence in Ron and the Singing Section to reach an agreement that is best for all Hibs fans. I'm now going to abstain from all debates on this topic because I trust Ron and the Singing Section to get it right. Anything I add is wasted energy.

HSL is another topic that can generate strong opinions. Again I trust Ron and HSL to address this.

I really do feel we stand at a vital stage in the history of Hibernian Football Club. Never before have we had someone present a clear and ambitious plan as Ron did last night. It's time for us to support him 100%, because we may never get another opportunity as this again.

My closing comment is that I would have loved the non-shareholders to have heard what Ron said. Maybe a Hibernian flavoured event during the summer at one of the large venues in Edinburgh might be a good way to do this.

Cataplana
27-02-2020, 07:56 AM
I'm booking a flight to Bulgaria, to ensure absolute authenticity, but I feel them welling up too.

Juice-Terry
27-02-2020, 08:00 AM
It's a shame we don't have a plaza.

Peevemor
27-02-2020, 08:05 AM
I don't know what the procedure is for changing names legally, but in any case I'm going to call both my daughters Ron from now on.

And the cat.

jeffers
27-02-2020, 08:08 AM
I liked his enthusiasm and ambition, but I'm probably in a very small minority who is still not 100% convinced. My main consideration is what happens on the pitch, by all means improve the catering but I couldn't care less for a jumbo screen and light show.

I'm also unclear where all the extra money is coming from to double our wage budget by 2023, it's easy enough to say we just need to increase our attendances, but they've dropped this season already, is the new match day experience going to make such a difference to our attendances.

Maybe I picked him up wrong, but I got the impression he won't be putting in any more money, unless it's a loan, so up to the fans to do so.

I was also a bit disappointed that he had no plans to attract investment from the US, I had hoped with his background that was exactly what he planned on doing.

I would add though that it was refreshing to hear a Hibs owner talk about having such big aspirations for the future, in my time as a fan I can't remember that ever being the case.

allezsauzee
27-02-2020, 07:44 PM
People have complained that we've lacked ambition in the past but that doesn't seem to be something that Ron lacks. Some might not care about his chat about the match day experience, the catering, hospitality but if we want the club to be ambitious and be self sustainable then we have to look at the bigger picture rather than just the amount he invests in the team. If he can bring a bit of razzmatazz to the club then I'm all for it.

Keith_M
27-02-2020, 07:48 PM
I'm the kind of person that judges people on their actions, not words.

We seem to have gone from constant complaints about him, the invisible man, etc... to now he's the saviour, some Messianic figure.

It's all become a bit "Mr Romanov"

...My main consideration is what happens on the pitch, by all means improve the catering but I couldn't care less for a jumbo screen and light show.

It's not just you.

I don't want a Celtc Park like experience, all light shows and brain thudding music before the match starts.

Just give me a winning team, playing with style being a bonus, inside a reasonably comfortable stadium.

Pretty Boy
27-02-2020, 07:55 PM
I liked his enthusiasm and ambition, but I'm probably in a very small minority who is still not 100% convinced. My main consideration is what happens on the pitch, by all means improve the catering but I couldn't care less for a jumbo screen and light show.

I'm also unclear where all the extra money is coming from to double our wage budget by 2023, it's easy enough to say we just need to increase our attendances, but they've dropped this season already, is the new match day experience going to make such a difference to our attendances.

Maybe I picked him up wrong, but I got the impression he won't be putting in any more money, unless it's a loan, so up to the fans to do so.

I was also a bit disappointed that he had no plans to attract investment from the US, I had hoped with his background that was exactly what he planned on doing.

I would add though that it was refreshing to hear a Hibs owner talk about having such big aspirations for the future, in my time as a fan I can't remember that ever being the case.

I don't think he completely closed the door on trying to attract US investment. I think he just made the, very good, point that it is only going to happen if it makes commercial sense for a US company. They aren't going to throw money at a Scottish football club unless there is something in it for them.

I got the impression his primary focus was targeting local and national businesses in the short term. There was a pretty thinly veiled criticism of the struggles to attract corporate partners throughout the game in Scotland. Getting Edinburgh and Scottish based businesses on board first arguably makes us more attractive to international investment.

I also think the idea behind the big screen, digital ribbon etc was to make us more attractive to and innovative for potential sponsors which would help grow the budget. If I had a business and wanted to sponsor a local sports team would I prefer a hoarding at a 19K capacity stadium, a space at a planned rugby stadium that holds less than 8K or a digital platform at the best and biggest club stadium in the city?

I said last night, and I stand by it, that not every idea will work. No business has ever seen every idea and plan come to fruition. However it's a guy who has come into the club and the league with a fresh pair of eyes and is going to try something different. A dose of healthy scepticism is a good thing and I'd hate to see us reach the kind of sycophantic level Hearts did with Romanov. I'm willing to trust RG for now though; he seemed genuine and passionate and his ideas made a lot of sense in principle.

jacomo
27-02-2020, 08:01 PM

Just because he didn’t mention the US doesn’t mean he’s not thinking about it.

I think this guy doesn’t want or need to be the centre of attention. I don’t think media attention will go to his head.

Time to see the plan delivered. I think it will be exciting.

hibbyfraelibby
27-02-2020, 08:01 PM

We seem to have gone from constant complaints about him, the invisible man, etc... to now he's the saviour, some Messianic figure.

It's not just you.

I don't want a Celtc Park like experience, all light shows and brain thudding music before the match starts.

Just give me a winning team, playing with style being a bonus, inside a reasonably comfortable stadium.

...and I thought I was a grumpy old git!

Jack Hackett
27-02-2020, 08:32 PM

It's not just you.

:agree:

The blingification of sporting events is becoming cringeworthy.

Eyrie
27-02-2020, 08:43 PM
I'd agree with you. I've heard plenty of plans that have come to nothing so if there's a new way, I'll be the first in line, but it had better work this time is my attitude.

A little OTT.

It's not just you.

All depends on the atmosphere. Do we want the Waterboys with a ripple of polite applause after each song, or the full scale Rammstein?

Admittedly the performance on the park will ultimately determine the atmosphere, but there's no harm in getting it started to give our players that early boost.

Radge70
27-02-2020, 09:05 PM
I don't know what the procedure is for changing names legally, but in any case I'm going to call both my daughters Ron from now on.

And the cat.

That could have been the two Ronnie's until you got the cat involved!

Lago
27-02-2020, 09:09 PM
Didn't take long for the nae saers to put their heads above the parapet. 😕

CapitalGreen
27-02-2020, 09:16 PM

You’re confusing a few people making a lot of noise on here as being representative of the whole support.

Prior to the AGM most fans were quietly looking forward to hearing Ron’s plans. Now we’ve heard them most fans are quietly looking forward to seeing if he can put them into action.

theonlywayisup
27-02-2020, 09:18 PM
You’re confusing a few people making a lot of noise on here as being representative of the whole support.

Prior to the AGM most fans were quietly looking forward to hearing Ron’s plans. Now we’ve heard them most fans are quietly looking forward to seeing if he can put them into action.

Well said.

Tug Wilson
27-02-2020, 09:19 PM

This

Hibbyradge
27-02-2020, 09:22 PM

And the cat.

I Christen you both, "Ron and the cat".

Weird.

eastterrace
27-02-2020, 09:23 PM

It's not just you.

Just give me a winning team, playing with style being a bonus, inside a reasonably comfortable stadium.what you on about disco lights he never mentioned that once so stop making things up. Let’s getbehind the guy and stop all this Romanov nonsense .

Eyrie
27-02-2020, 09:50 PM
Didn't take long for the nae saers to put their heads above the parapet. 😕

I don't think there's anyone saying it's BS, just that we'll wait until we see how the proposals are implemented before saying how good they are.

tonyrougier123
27-02-2020, 09:59 PM
I don't think he completely closed the door on trying to attract US investment. I think he just made the, very good, point that it is only going to happen if it makes commercial sense for a US company. They aren't going to throw money at a Scottish football club unless there is something in it for them.

I got the impression his primary focus was targeting local and national businesses in the short term. There was a pretty thinly veiled criticism of the struggles to attract corporate partners throughout the game in Scotland. Getting Edinburgh and Scottish based businesses on board first arguably makes us more attractive to international investment.

I also think the idea behind the big screen, digital ribbon etc was to make us more attractive to and innovative for potential sponsors which would help grow the budget. If I had a business and wanted to sponsor a local sports team would I prefer a hoarding at a 19K capacity stadium, a space at a planned rugby stadium that holds less than 8K or a digital platform at the best and biggest club stadium in the city?

I said last night, and I stand by it, that not every idea will work. No business has ever seen every idea and plan come to fruition. However it's a guy who has come into the club and the league with a fresh pair of eyes and is going to try something different. A dose of healthy scepticism is a good thing and I'd hate to see us reach the kind of sycophantic level Hearts did with Romanov. I'm willing to trust RG for now though; he seemed genuine and passionate and his ideas made a lot of sense in principle.

Measured and spot on post.
I was a bit harsh on another thread about the digital hoardings and big screen,I thought it was a bit of nonsense.
But in terms of getting investors might be crucial,and not just to turn the stadium into a lightshow.
I am sceptical myself,but lets see what it brings,at least the guy seems upbeat and motivated to go through with some changes at the club.
His credibility as a businessman seems outstanding and not as murky as some owners.

I just really hope the fans are listened to in terms of the atmosphere in the stadium but that might work its self out when the seating is graded.

WestCoastHibby
27-02-2020, 10:09 PM
Has Ron"sealed" it??

SonOfDavidFrancey
27-02-2020, 10:18 PM

And the cat.

This guy whom I follow on Twitter has beaten you to it
twitter.com/romms28

RMQ1967
27-02-2020, 10:30 PM

It's not just you.

Ultimately that's what we all want but you need to consider that there are other ways to add to the experience in order to pull people in that may want a bit more than 90 mins of football. Not me personally but I'd be inclined to take the Mrs. & the kids along if there's a bit more entertainment, razzamataz decent grub on offer.
I'm delighted & excited that we're trying to make the all round experience better for people - Scottish football is still in the dark ages entertainment wise & this is something different.

Radium
27-02-2020, 10:35 PM

And the cat.

Surely the cat has to be called ‘da-do’ ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2020, 11:31 PM
There's no doubt that he came across really well at the AGM ... professional, composed and personable.

He outlined a lot of ambitions for the club, but also made it clear that achieving them was dependent on building our income generation capabilities through corporate sponsorship and the fans getting on board too. There were no wild promises about winning the league or even making the group stages in Europe.

You can never be 100% sure about anybody you don't know personally, sometimes not even then. But the vibe you got from him was that he genuinely wanted to take the club to a new level in a considered and sustainable way and that he wasn't just bull****ting.

Of all the aims he outlined the one about growing 13,000 season ticket holders to 17,000 within a few years was the one for me that showed a slight lack of realism about us as a club and Scottish football in general. To get to that level without a major run of outstanding seasons on the park seems to me to be a tad unrealistic ..... Making the matchday experience great can only take you so far without on field success to go with it. If under his tenure we get to 17,000 season tickets by say 2024 never mind naming a stand after Tom Farmer, we would have to name the whole stadium after Ron Gordon.

In short: As a person he came across really well. As an owner the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, its that simple.

Man Down Under
27-02-2020, 11:48 PM
I think some people don't realise a video ribbon and big TV isn't just for flashy lights and sounds, it will create revenue.

The best teams and stadiums in the world constantly improve their technology, we have to keep up if investors and advertisers want to take us seriously. Seems the majority get this though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

BobMilne
28-02-2020, 12:39 AM
With both hands on the shaft..........go!

Lots has been written about the future plans, but I thought it would be good to focus on Ron Gordon, the man.

Yesterday was really the first time that I've listened to the man. My god, I was so impressed. He was so positive about our future, though highlighting that we all need to work together. There was almost a tear in my eye when he talked about how great a club Hibernian Football Club is. Also, about what we could become.

I really enjoyed listening to Ron. It's now up to us to back him, which I'm sure that the majority of Hibs fans will do.

Yes there are topics that stimulate many heated debates on Hibs.net, but we need to start trusting Ron and his team to address these in a way that is best for all Hibs fans.

Looking at this message board, the Singing Section generates a lot of discussion. Whatever your views, I've confidence in Ron and the Singing Section to reach an agreement that is best for all Hibs fans. I'm now going to abstain from all debates on this topic because I trust Ron and the Singing Section to get it right. Anything I add is wasted energy.

HSL is another topic that can generate strong opinions. Again I trust Ron and HSL to address this.

I really do feel we stand at a vital stage in the history of Hibernian Football Club. Never before have we had someone present a clear and ambitious plan as Ron did last night. It's time for us to support him 100%, because we may never get another opportunity as this again.

My closing comment is that I would have loved the non-shareholders to have heard what Ron said. Maybe a Hibernian flavoured event during the summer at one of the large venues in Edinburgh might be a good way to do this.

majorhibs
28-02-2020, 01:42 AM
Just effing do it! (c/o Nike)

cocteautwin
28-02-2020, 02:54 AM
Mister Rongordonov
He sux Paul Hartleyoff

Just heading out to get my tattoo . . . .

Big90inOz
28-02-2020, 03:19 AM
Ron has put some thought into the process of increasing the cash flow into Hibs with the target of using that money to increase the quality on the pitch, nothing wrong with that. Will all the ideas work? I doubt it but they may work to a degree where they do attract both supporters and sponsorship. If you are going to set targets then make them stretch targets.
I go to a stadium which has one of the best light and sound displays in the world, to be honest the first few times it was interesting and now it can all be going off and I barely even notice it but it does look great on TV and therefore attracts interest.

Since452
28-02-2020, 05:18 AM
He's an impressive guy.

I'm glad he presented his plan to the players first. Thought that was a brilliant touch and will keep them feeling part of everything.

Bay Area Hibees
28-02-2020, 05:27 AM
That could have been the two Ronnie's until you got the cat involved!

Lol brilliant

Phil MaGlass
28-02-2020, 05:28 AM
Modern day fitba has to attract new fans, if that means digital boards and advertising and the so called razzmatazz of disco lights then fine by me.
All seems positive to me, positivity breeds positivity.
Cant say I have ever been so looking forward to the future of Hibs than now, "ready for take off".

Ray_
28-02-2020, 05:54 AM
:agree:

The blingification of sporting events is becoming cringeworthy.

It might not be that younger people feel the same and I would think the whole experience rather than just the match is a key element in sport in the US and more importantly, their sponsors.

Ray_
28-02-2020, 05:57 AM
He's an impressive guy.

I'm glad he presented his plan to the players first. Thought that was a brilliant touch and will keep them feeling part of everything.

Yip, perform and you get a rise with the new budget, don't and your replaced by a better quality player :greengrin

matty_f
28-02-2020, 06:04 AM
There's no doubt that he came across really well at the AGM ... professional, composed and personable.

He outlined a lot of ambitions for the club, but also made it clear that achieving them was dependent on building our income generation capabilities through corporate sponsorship and the fans getting on board too. There were no wild promises about winning the league or even making the group stages in Europe.

You can never be 100% sure about anybody you don't know personally, sometimes not even then. But the vibe you got from him was that he genuinely wanted to take the club to a new level in a considered and sustainable way and that he wasn't just bull****ting.

Of all the aims he outlined the one about growing 13,000 season ticket holders to 17,000 within a few years was the one for me that showed a slight lack of realism about us as a club and Scottish football in general. To get to that level without a major run of outstanding seasons on the park seems to me to be a tad unrealistic ..... Making the matchday experience great can only take you so far without on field success to go with it. If under his tenure we get to 17,000 season tickets by say 2024 never mind naming a stand after Tom Farmer, we would have to name the whole stadium after Ron Gordon.

In short: As a person he came across really well. As an owner the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, its that simple.

I don't think 17,000 season tickets is *that* unrealistic.
In 2012/13 I think we had about 8,000 - lady season we had almost 14,000. The Scottish Cup win was a huge catalyst but it's also worth remembering that we'd spent three years in the Championship in the period since then.

Creating an environment where people want to experience it again will grow the support - and keeping a winning team will accelerate that growth.

I likened Ron to Fergus McCann in that he sees a very clear direction of travel to grow the club. What I took from his presentation is that his priority is success on the pitch, which he'll achieve by increasing the income and profit.

To attract sponsors he's set a clear path on the values her wants the club to be associated with, and by extension, who our sponsors will be associated with.

He's making us immensely attractive to sponsors. The greenest club in Scotland - this is a massive hot topic globally so to be at the forefront makes us an appealing option; really meaningful community work - he mentioned a Hibernian Youth Club, again it's a great initiative and one that if you tagged "in association with..." gives real value to sponsors.

There was stuff like that throughout the presentation where Hibs were leading on things that people would naturally want to be involved with, and that goes for the support, too.

Traditionally, the football has been about going to the game and going away again, you're only at the stadium to watch the match - maybe get a pie or whatever, and for some that's book-ended with pints at the pub.

There would have been a time when going to the cinema was just about the movie, now you go and you get popcorn, or a hot dog, a coffee, or a beer. Cinemas made the experience better and now it's normal.

A good team, along with an experienced that is genuinely enjoyable (so no long waits at turnstiles that don't work, or sultry kiosk staff etc) as well as something that is really different, will get people's interest and they'll want to go.

17,000 is ambitious, but if Hibs can deliver what they want to I'd actually be amazed if we didn't hit it.

Peevemor
28-02-2020, 06:17 AM
In 2012/13 I think we had about 8,000 - lady season we had almost 14,000. The Scottish Cup win was a huge catalyst but it's also worth remembering that we'd spent three years in the Championship in the period since then.

Creating an environment where people want to experience it again will grow the support - and keeping a winning team will accelerate that growth.

I likened Ron to Fergus McCann in that he sees a very clear direction of travel to grow the club. What I took from his presentation is that his priority is success on the pitch, which he'll achieve by increasing the income and profit.

To attract sponsors he's set a clear path on the values her wants the club to be associated with, and by extension, who our sponsors will be associated with.

He's making us immensely attractive to sponsors. The greenest club in Scotland - this is a massive hot topic globally so to be at the forefront makes us an appealing option; really meaningful community work - he mentioned a Hibernian Youth Club, again it's a great initiative and one that if you tagged "in association with..." gives real value to sponsors.

There was stuff like that throughout the presentation where Hibs were leading on things that people would naturally want to be involved with, and that goes for the support, too.

Traditionally, the football has been about going to the game and going away again, you're only at the stadium to watch the match - maybe get a pie or whatever, and for some that's book-ended with pints at the pub.

There would have been a time when going to the cinema was just about the movie, now you go and you get popcorn, or a hot dog, a coffee, or a beer. Cinemas made the experience better and now it's normal.

A good team, along with an experienced that is genuinely enjoyable (so no long waits at turnstiles that don't work, or sultry kiosk staff etc) as well as something that is really different, will get people's interest and they'll want to go.

17,000 is ambitious, but if Hibs can deliver what they want to I'd actually be amazed if we didn't hit it.

I've made the Fergus McCann comparison too, basically saying that if he sells the club in a few years time at a huge profit then that's fine by me as whatever he'd done will have worked.

The targetted increase in ST sales made me think of McCann again. OK, when he came in Celtic were at a low ebb, but throughout the 80s they were doing OK (along with the "new firm") but their crowds for non OF matches were often 20-25k.

Ron isn't looking to double attendances as Fergus did but increase them by about 30%.

It's got to be worth a try.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2020, 06:42 AM
The comparison with cinema is a good one. I really like going to the cinema and probably go twice a month to see something. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with the kids. When it comes to movies all I want is to watch a good quality movie in 2D. I’m not interested in 3D, moving seats, sitting on sofas, waiter service or any of the other innovations the theatres are coming up with but I understand why they do it. It creates a buzz, people talk about it. They are constantly trying to enhance the experience and offer something new. The quality on the screen will only stay high if they can keep enticing new people to come to their cinemas.

oldbutdim
28-02-2020, 06:58 AM

Might rail at that.

ACLeith
28-02-2020, 07:21 AM

I see where you’re coming from, it’s Crystals clear

Cataplana
28-02-2020, 07:27 AM
I see where you’re coming from, it’s Crystals clear

I fear the spector of punning is going to overshadow this discussion.

More to the point though, how good is Ron at steering a submarine?

Keith_M
28-02-2020, 08:39 AM
...and I thought I was a grumpy old git!

Not grumpy, just givin ma point of view..

if that's all right wi you.

😝

Keith_M
28-02-2020, 08:41 AM
what you on about disco lights he never mentioned that once so stop making things up. Let’s getbehind the guy and stop all this Romanov nonsense .

You got P-M-T?

Since452
28-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Yip, perform and you get a rise with the new budget, don't and your replaced by a better quality player :greengrin

Absolutely. Keeps them on their toes

eastterrace
28-02-2020, 09:08 AM
You got P-M-T?and your point is caller

My old man
28-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Is it just me but I’m really really excited about bringing the catering in house
as working in the trade the offering was “disgusting “
I know we’re not Tottenham but in today’s world most products are able to be done
very quickly
it could generate a lot of money 3-5 mil a season

GGTTH

IN RON WE TRUST

Monts
28-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Is it just me but I’m really really excited about bringing the catering in house
I know we’re not Tottenham but in today’s world most products are able to be done
very quickly

GGTTH

IN RON WE TRUST

RG stated we would be looking at £600k revenue

Peevemor
28-02-2020, 09:58 AM
RG stated we would be looking at £600k revenue

I think the £600k figure will be based on existing sales (say 15k attendance at 20 matches/season = £2 average spend which would seem about right). There's obviously room to improve in this (better product & service) but it'll never be millions.

Cataplana
28-02-2020, 10:00 AM
very quickly

GGTTH

IN RON WE TRUST

I'm not bothered about a cheese shop, but our own microbrewery is a must. There's a real shortage of microbreweries in the Leith area.

Seriously though, where are you getting £3 - 5 million a season?

drumatic44
28-02-2020, 10:20 AM
A wee Ron song ??
Ron Gordon for me, Ron Gordon for me,
If you're no Ron Gordon you're nae use tae me
Tom Farmer was braw ,Rod Petrie an aw,
but Peruvian Ron Gordon 's the pride o' us aw. !!

My old man
28-02-2020, 10:30 AM
I'm not bothered about a cheese shop, but our own microbrewery is a must. There's a real shortage of microbreweries in the Leith area.

Seriously though, where are you getting £3 - 5 million a season?

I go with my kids (2)

pizza and coke and sweets each

bovril (auld school) maybe a pie
no much change out of a £20 (if any)

but here’s my “potential maths”

15,000 x£10 = £150,000

£150,000 x 20 games = £3,000,000

add into this that variety/product is better/awesome then maybes
add a bevvie or 2 you could easily reach my “potential “ figures

doesn’t mean PURE profits !!

GGTTH

Cataplana
28-02-2020, 10:39 AM
I go with my kids (2)

pizza and coke and sweets each

bovril (auld school) maybe a pie
no much change out of a £20 (if any)

but here’s my “potential maths”

15,000 x£10 = £150,000

£150,000 x 20 games = £3,000,000

add into this that variety/product is better/awesome then maybes
add a bevvie or 2 you could easily reach my “potential “ figures

doesn’t mean PURE profits !!

GGTTH

Thanks, those figures seem achievable. I rarely use the kiosks, so I wasn't aware how expensive it could be.

Onceinawhile
28-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Thanks, those figures seem achievable. I rarely use the kiosks, so I wasn't aware how expensive it could be.

Those figures aren't achievable at all. That would rely on (assuming a 20,000 sell out) 75% of people purchasing from the kiosks.

Unless we bring in huge numbers of staff, that wouldn't be doable. Also, not a chance 75% of people at game use the kiosks.

Not In The Know
28-02-2020, 10:56 AM
And just to note for every bottle that lands on the pitch it makes even harder to get those top level Corporate sponsors he is alluding to.

Fans have a part to play in this, in more ways than one.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2020, 11:02 AM
With both hands on the shaft..........go!

Humble brag ...

My old man
28-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Those figures aren't achievable at all. That would rely on (assuming a 20,000 sell out) 75% of people purchasing from the kiosks.

Unless we bring in huge numbers of staff, that wouldn't be doable. Also, not a chance 75% of people at game use the kiosks.

Again all my figures are based on value for money products that will
make it attractive .
i do think the lower number is potentially very achievable

As I said before we aren’t Tottenham but if it’s done right (miniature version) people will spend
tottenham turn over circa £1,000,000 every home match day and
their stadium is 3x ours

I hope RON has a forward thinking team working on this instead of a “that’ll do “ team

GGTTH

But let’s beg to differ

no point arguing over spilt chips on match day 😜

Seveno
28-02-2020, 11:39 AM
There will always be people that pick on one point, fail to understand that some people want more than just a game of football, fail to look at the bigger picture or just lack imagination.

When I look at the full statement of Ron Gordon’s vision for the club, I am really excited for our future.

WhileTheChief..
28-02-2020, 11:44 AM

Agreed. Fantasy stuff.

The club have already looked into it and estimate £600k but a random fan 'thinks' millions can be made!!!

Thank Christ we're not doing the Hearts fan owned thing if this is what can happen!

My old man
28-02-2020, 11:45 AM
There will always be people that pick on one point, fail to understand that some people want more than just a game of football, fail to look at the bigger picture or just lack imagination.

When I look at the full statement of Ron Gordon’s vision for the club, I am really excited for our future.

exactly

GGTTH

Cataplana
28-02-2020, 12:35 PM

I think it is failure to appreciate that it is all about football that has seen so many clubs fail when they diversify. No point in having the best chips available if nobody is coming because the team is mince.

My old man
28-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Agreed. Fantasy stuff.

The club have already looked into it and estimate £600k but a random fan 'thinks' millions can be made!!!

Thank Christ we're not doing the Hearts fan owned thing if this is what can happen!

first off who you calling a random fan ?????? (Born and bred hibs fan 50yrs)

I’m gonna go out and come back a glass half empty fan

because you seem to think no it’s a BIG FAT NO !!

again hope Ron is a glass half full kinda guy

but please feel free to explain WHY it can’t be done

cheers (some random fan)

Lago
28-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Agreed. Fantasy stuff.

A 'random' fan, what a put down. 👇

WhileTheChief..
28-02-2020, 12:50 PM
first off who you calling a random fan ?????? (Born and bred hibs fan 50yrs)

I’m gonna go out and come back a glass half empty fan

because you seem to think no it’s a BIG FAT NO !!

again hope Ron is a glass half full kinda guy

but please feel free to explain WHY it can’t be done

cheers (some random fan)

You think that we can sell up to £5M worth of catering in 20 ish home games at ER?

We have roughly 2 hrs a game to sell stuff, so 40 hours ish over a year.

5,000,000 / 40 = £125,000 p/hr

Aye, that's easily done!! I wonder if there a restaurant anywhere in the world that has these kind of takings!!

Or, i could listen to our owner who I would imagine has actually looked into things with a view to bringing the catering in-house. He thinks we could sell around £600k's worth of stuff.

So yeah, I'm gonna go with his estimates instead of your fantastical number you plucked from behind your Unicorns ear.

WhileTheChief..
28-02-2020, 12:51 PM
A 'random' fan, what a put down. 👇

In the context of listening to our owner or the poster on here it's entirely appropriate :aok:

Kaff
28-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Scottish football is poor at catering, at the English grounds I've been to (mostly non EPL) as an example the whole width of the concourse area has kiosk frontage and subsequently no queuing for food.
I'm like many and won't join a 50 person queue for a coffee but suffer it if I'm with the kids, I honestly think you could double sales easily without improving the quality of food if everyone could guarantee a very short wait to be served, add in quality products and more will turn up earlier to have their prematch snack at the ground and if alcohol became available in the concourses even just prematch then this turnover figures of £3m are wholly achievable.
Important to note that £3m is the view of one poster here, who I agree with, and RG has been much more circumspect with £600k. I think with dynamic prices for tickets and work done on the catering £600k extra would be a 3yr target

Keith_M
28-02-2020, 01:02 PM
and your point is caller

Ah, so you admit it!

:greengrin

Keith_M
28-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Scottish football is poor at catering, at the English grounds I've been to (mostly non EPL) as an example the whole width of the concourse area has kiosk frontage and subsequently no queuing for food.
I'm like many and won't join a 50 person queue for a coffee but suffer it if I'm with the kids, I honestly think you could double sales easily without improving the quality of food if everyone could guarantee a very short wait to be served, add in quality products and more will turn up earlier to have their prematch snack at the ground and if alcohol became available in the concourses even just prematch then this turnover figures of £3m are wholly achievable.
Important to note that £3m is the view of one poster here, who I agree with, and RG has been much more circumspect with £600k. I think with dynamic prices for tickets and work done on the catering £600k extra would be a 3yr target

One of the issues with the Queues is that it's so disorganised. Quite often there's one Queue but four tills open... or just a large crowd with it unclear which queue they're in.

Motherwell have a system for queuing in, and leaving, at each till. I think Hibs should follow their example.

Cataplana
28-02-2020, 02:09 PM
One of the issues with the Queues is that it's so disorganised. Quite often there's one Queue but four tills open... or just a large crowd with it unclear which queue they're in.

Motherwell have a system for queuing in, and leaving, at each till. I think Hibs should follow their example.

I wonder if an app exists which would allow fans to order their half time food from their seat, and have it delivered. I'd be surprised if there wasn't. At the theatre it's standard practice to order interval drinks before the show starts.

Kaff
28-02-2020, 02:13 PM

I've not been to Motherwell for this season but their set up was pretty poor last time I was there (sure it was early 2019?) quite a log jam. If they improved it then I'm sure they'll find sales increase too.
Of course initially increasing staff numbers will look like a loss of income but initially I'd think most extra staff would be in for maybe 3hrs at living wage and to recoup that would be possibly 10 extra customers per staff member?
Get a reputation for quick service and quality food and that is easily recouped.
On the point of raising an extra £2.4m than the club are initially projecting then it would require 8000 fans at 20 games to spend £15 each. No matter how ridiculous that sounds at this moment I think that is entirely achievable, especially with alcohol sales as a potential.
With 2 young kids we were easily spending £10 per head with the poor quality food available so pushing that up to £15 with decent options will be OK for me and getting drinkers to hand over £20 is never any problem for pubs so with decent options again there is scope to hit those figures spoken about

Edit.
Sorry just read the post about Motherwell again, yes one queue but then you go to the available till. The area gets pretty badly choked and a queue that length is never appealing to stand in.

theonlywayisup
28-02-2020, 02:14 PM
I wonder if an app exists which would allow fans to order their half time food from their seat, and have it delivered. I'd be surprised if there wasn't. At the theatre it's standard practice to order interval drinks before the show starts.

Tongue firmly in cheek, but what about a touch screen similar to McDonalds that you select and pay for your food then collect at the counter.

My old man
28-02-2020, 02:34 PM
You think that we can sell up to £5M worth of catering in 20 ish home games at ER?

We have roughly 2 hrs a game to sell stuff, so 40 hours ish over a year.

5,000,000 / 40 = £125,000 p/hr

Aye, that's easily done!! I wonder if there a restaurant anywhere in the world that has these kind of takings!!

Or, i could listen to our owner who I would imagine has actually looked into things with a view to bringing the catering in-house. He thinks we could sell around £600k's worth of stuff.

So yeah, I'm gonna go with his estimates instead of your fantastical number you plucked from behind your Unicorns ear.

You don’t know me or anything about me and yet again you try the insults proves your a proper welt
I'm happy with what I have posted but if you don’t have 000’s of posts your a “random fan”and a fantasist
bet you’re fun at work !!!
so I’ll leave you to find a mirror so you can argue with someone of your superior intelligence

ALL hail the chief (the authority on everything)

My old man
28-02-2020, 02:38 PM
I've not been to Motherwell for this season but their set up was pretty poor last time I was there (sure it was early 2019?) quite a log jam. If they improved it then I'm sure they'll find sales increase too.
Of course initially increasing staff numbers will look like a loss of income but initially I'd think most extra staff would be in for maybe 3hrs at living wage and to recoup that would be possibly 10 extra customers per staff member?
Get a reputation for quick service and quality food and that is easily recouped.
On the point of raising an extra £2.4m than the club are initially projecting then it would require 8000 fans at 20 games to spend £15 each. No matter how ridiculous that sounds at this moment I think that is entirely achievable, especially with alcohol sales as a potential.
With 2 young kids we were easily spending £10 per head with the poor quality food available so pushing that up to £15 with decent options will be OK for me and getting drinkers to hand over £20 is never any problem for pubs so with decent options again there is scope to hit those figures spoken about

Edit.
Sorry just read the post about Motherwell again, yes one queue but then you go to the available till. The area gets pretty badly choked and a queue that length is never appealing to stand in.

exactly my point
but “the chief “ will disagree

GGTTH

Cataplana
28-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Tongue firmly in cheek, but what about a touch screen similar to McDonalds that you select and pay for your food then collect at the counter.

Is it that unrealistic?

NAE NOOKIE
28-02-2020, 02:48 PM

I'm not down on the ambition in any way mate, aim for the stars and you might hit the moon, as they say. The only evidence we currently have to go on as to the viability of RG's goal is the fact that it took Hibs 40 years to emulate an average of 18,000 in a season including away fans and walk ups as well as ST holders and the fact that on any given matchday recently its abundantly clear that a big chunk of the 13,000 season tickets we do have are failing to turn up, far more than can be accounted for by 'natural wastage' as it were. If folk wont use ST's they have already paid for this season what chance is there they will renew next?

For next season the challenge isn't to get above 13,000 it's to stay at 13,000 ..... If we manage that I will firmly believe that RG's plan to hit 17,000 is doable, because as things stand all the evidence points to a drop below 13,000 for next season.

A Hi-Bee
28-02-2020, 03:47 PM
I can only speak for myself, but Hibs can only get better if they can buy better players which all takes money, I have been a walk up supporter for some time now, used to have a season ticket.
I have been thinking (which is always a bit dodgy) I am going to get a season ticket for next year, I can just about afford it and while I may not get to all the games for various reasons I feel that my little bit will help the club that I have followed for more years than I care to remember. So thats my start to the numbers Ron and the club are looking for.
GGTTH

:flag::flag::flag:

WhileTheChief..
28-02-2020, 04:53 PM
You don’t know me or anything about me and yet again you try the insults proves your a proper welt
I'm happy with what I have posted but if you don’t have 000’s of posts your a “random fan”and a fantasist
bet you’re fun at work !!!
so I’ll leave you to find a mirror so you can argue with someone of your superior intelligence

ALL hail the chief (the authority on everything)

Jeezo, you’re a bit touchy eh.

You, or me, or anyone else that posts on this site are just random fans in comparison to our owner no matter how many posts you’ve made on this site.

.Sean.
28-02-2020, 10:56 PM
He certainly makes time for everyone as was shown in BTG this evening. Myself and my mates must have been some of the last out of BTG and he was still there chatting to folk, and he went out his way to come up to us for a blether as opposed to vice versa and us going to him. We were going to leave him be as he’d been getting pested and posing for pics for near on 10/15 minutes but he made the time and seen we were still there and he came up and had a chat as we were finishing off our pints. He’s the real deal

Northernhibee
07-04-2021, 05:13 PM
I think it's harder and harder to question his good intentions, drive or passion for the club. I think we're going to continue to be a well run club for some time.

WhileTheChief..
07-04-2021, 05:21 PM
Being interviewed on Sportsound now.

matty_f
07-04-2021, 05:28 PM
I think it's harder and harder to question his good intentions, drive or passion for the club. I think we're going to continue to be a well run club for some time.

We’re in really good hands. :agree:

WhileTheChief..
07-04-2021, 05:29 PM
Tom English - “Ron Gordon should be at the heart of running Scottish football”.

Gushing with praise for the man. Must have fallen out with Anne :na na:

Onion
07-04-2021, 05:35 PM
As I remember, David Duff sounded very plausible when he promised Hibs a new dawn under his stewardship. Tears were shed then too.

Ron the man needs to keep on demonstrating his loyalty and goodwill towards the club for as long as he remains the owner.

Northernhibee
07-04-2021, 05:36 PM
We’re in really good hands. :agree:

Say what you like about them but STF and Rod knew when to hand the reigns over to someone else - first Leeann, then to Ron.

WhileTheChief..
07-04-2021, 05:42 PM
David Duff said Hibs could sign Maradonna!

Juniper Greens
07-04-2021, 05:53 PM

Mind when cannigia ended up at Dundee?! Strange things!

Kato
07-04-2021, 06:04 PM

I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

He said the same when Anne Budge was stumbling around making wrong decision after wrong decision.

Ron has achieved nothing yet.

I've no doubt RG will give it his all so let's see where we are in a couple of seasons.

Also -

Saying that RG "didn't go for the cheap shot" regarding Hearts promotion but never calls out the cheap shots from the resident Hearts pundits which are plentiful.

He just another gum-bumper who imagines he's a deep thinker.

LeithMike
07-04-2021, 07:30 PM

Gushing with praise for the man. Must have fallen out with Anne :na na:Would completely ignore anything Tom English has to say. He was another who thought Craig Whyte was the saviour of Rangers whose wealth was off the radar. Bound to get one right.

Everything sounds promising with Ron but like someone said above we should alway maintain scrutiny to ensure the best interests of the club.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

jacomo
08-04-2021, 01:30 PM
I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

He said the same when Anne Budge was stumbling around making wrong decision after wrong decision.

Ron has achieved nothing yet.

I've no doubt RG will give it his all so let's see where we are in a couple of seasons.

Also -

Saying that RG "didn't go for the cheap shot" regarding Hearts promotion but never calls out the cheap shots from the resident Hearts pundits which are plentiful.

He just another gum-bumper who imagines he's a deep thinker.

A bit harsh.

jacomo
08-04-2021, 01:30 PM

But Ann Budge taught Ron everything he knows!

Source: Ann Budge.

WhileTheChief..
08-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Read what Tom thinks here...:greengrin

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-players-weak-bad-professionals-20341659 (https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-players-weak-bad-professionals-20341659)

jacomo
08-04-2021, 01:34 PM
The quotes from Ron on the BBC website are a master class in talking up the value of our players without shooting his mouth off.

He knows what he’s doing.

Kato
08-04-2021, 01:36 PM
A bit harsh.Maybe, but you know what I mean. Given Covid and his aspirations being interrupted I'm sure he feels he's just getting started himself.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Kato
08-04-2021, 01:39 PM
Read what Tom thinks here...:greengrin

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-players-weak-bad-professionals-20341659 (https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-players-weak-bad-professionals-20341659)Heard him say as much on the radio. Him and Pressley laying into Hearts and the way they've been mismanaged in recent years with the main culprit, Levein, sitting there chipping in. Peak Sportsound again.

Oscar T Grouch
08-04-2021, 02:36 PM
They have a thread over on oneleagueback about Ron's comments about possibility of selling players in the summer and in particular Doig and why Levein let him go. There was a wee comment from one of them that said "Our 38 year old goalie is worth more than their entire squad". So that got me thinking what are the current squads like back to back, who's is worth more. Now I know using a site like Transfermkt is pretty arbitrary but it is a good place to compare squad against squad.

Hearts current squad includes 27 players, the average age is 28.4, there are 13 non UK players in the squad and the total value is £8.69m
Their highest value players are Kingsley and Souter at £900k (both injured atm)

Hibs current squad includes 24 players, the average age is 27.4, there are 10 non UK players in the squad and the total value is £13.07m
Our highest value players are Boyle and Nisbet at £1.35m each (I have excluded Jackson Irvine's value of £2.25m as he maybe worth that but not on the contract we have him on at the moment)

So we have a higher value squad with 3 less players, our top two players are worth the same as 31% of their total squad value, our squad is younger, hungrier, one league above and we have more internationals playing for us...but Gordon is worth more than our whole squad.:rolleyes:

Anyway, shows you what happens if my boss leaves me with no work to do on a Thursday afternoon!!:greengrin

Edit, our average age is effected from having Craig Samson listed as a player this season, take him out we average 26.5

stuart-farquhar
08-04-2021, 02:41 PM
Modern day fitba has to attract new fans, if that means digital boards and advertising and the so called razzmatazz of disco lights then fine by me.
All seems positive to me, positivity breeds positivity.
Cant say I have ever been so looking forward to the future of Hibs than now, "ready for take off".

I'm not sure about disco lights and crashy bang music.

Why not something like an organ player slowly rises to the surface of the pitch and encourages a jolly good singalong. Like in the old movie theatres (pictures) Max Bygraves would be good surely.

WhileTheChief..
08-04-2021, 02:57 PM
The quotes from Ron on the BBC website are a master class in talking up the value of our players without shooting his mouth off.

He knows what he’s doing.

It’s amazing the contrast between the clubs right now.

A constant negative flow from Hearts with nothing but positivity from Hibs.

RG really is impressive every time he speaks.

jacomo
08-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Maybe, but you know what I mean. Given Covid and his aspirations being interrupted I'm sure he feels he's just getting started himself.

Yeah fair enough, but navigating this club through this crisis in such a calm way is a real achievement.

O'Rourke3
08-04-2021, 04:31 PM
Would completely ignore anything Tom English has to say. He was another who thought Craig Whyte was the saviour of Rangers whose wealth was off the radar. Bound to get one right.

Everything sounds promising with Ron but like someone said above we should alway maintain scrutiny to ensure the best interests of the club.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TapatalkOff the radar wealth was a different phanny. Jackson of the Record, who also witnessed assing kickings one day in May about 5 years back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

AliboyFC
08-04-2021, 04:45 PM
I think some people don't realise a video ribbon and big TV isn't just for flashy lights and sounds, it will create revenue.

The best teams and stadiums in the world constantly improve their technology, we have to keep up if investors and advertisers want to take us seriously. Seems the majority get this though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Exactly and it will also look class aswell. Imagine easter road with a big screen.

Keith_M
08-04-2021, 04:50 PM

He honestly said that?

:faint:

Centre Hawf
08-04-2021, 04:54 PM
Ron is coming from the US where every aspect of their sports and entertainment is hugely monetised. No stone is left unturned in the search for pennies to add to the coffers and flip into bigger amounts of money again.

Time will tell if a lot of these ideas can be translated well enough into not just football but UK/Scottish consumer culture as well. But I think it's safe to assume that whatever Ron plans to implement at Hibs it will have been meticulously researched and thought out and is not being done for a laugh and as a show off stunt.

Haymaker
08-04-2021, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure about disco lights and crashy bang music.

Why not something like an organ player slowly rises to the surface of the pitch and encourages a jolly good singalong. Like in the old movie theatres (pictures) Max Bygraves would be good surely.

I remember talking to this old boy who was a Fulham fan. He used to say that it wasn't the same since they put the PA in and stopped having an opera singer on the pitch before the game.

WhileTheChief..
08-04-2021, 05:20 PM
He honestly said that?

He’s jumped ship.

Turned on Anne and needs a new pal in Edinburgh.

WhileTheChief..
08-04-2021, 05:27 PM
He honestly said that?

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sportsound-podcast-07-apr-20-fans-back-at-hampden-for/id129625085?i=100051617868 (https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sportsound-podcast-07-apr-20-fans-back-at-hampden-for/id129625085?i=1000516178688)

They start talking to Ron on 19 mins with English from around 25. It’s a good listen.

Pilrig_Sauzee
08-04-2021, 08:12 PM
We could sign Maradona now and would still score more than Rowan Vine.

tamig
08-04-2021, 08:42 PM
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sportsound-podcast-07-apr-20-fans-back-at-hampden-for/id129625085?i=100051617868 (https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sportsound-podcast-07-apr-20-fans-back-at-hampden-for/id129625085?i=1000516178688)

They start talking to Ron on 19 mins with English from around 25. It’s a good listen.

English was ripping into us last summer when jobs were being cut, players were on wage deferrals and we were then signing new players. He was questioning the morals of the club. He also had a dig at Leeann when she was leading a task force and spoke on behalf of all the clubs about needing government support. He twisted that as Leeann begging for cash for Hibs. The man has zero integrity after his Budge cheerleading last summer.

Andy74
08-04-2021, 08:43 PM
English was ripping into us last summer when jobs were being cut, players were on wage deferrals and we were then signing new players. He was questioning the morals of the club. He also had a dig at Leeann when she was leading a task force and spoke on behalf of all the clubs about needing government support. He twisted that as Leeann begging for cash for Hibs. The man has zero integrity after his Budge cheerleading last summer.

Spot on.

jacomo
08-04-2021, 08:46 PM

Maybe he had a problem with Leeann?

Maybe he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about!

He remarked on the fact that Ron ducked the opportunity to have a sly dig at Hearts. Asked if he welcomed Hearts returning to the Premiership next season, Ron said ‘of course’ ... he’s not going to give the likes of English a gift.

green day
08-04-2021, 08:47 PM
Agree 100% tam.

Even last night he said he wanted to hear more from Ron because "we simply haven't heard enough from him".

There was no praise, and there will never be any praise. He has nailed his colours to the hearts mast.

jacomo
08-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Agree 100% tam.

Even last night he said he wanted to hear more from Ron because "we simply haven't heard enough from him".

There was no praise, and there will never be any praise. He has nailed his colours to the hearts mast.

Felt like he was desperately looking for a negative but couldn’t find one... just implied criticism that Ron somehow isn’t doing enough for Scottish football.

green day
08-04-2021, 08:51 PM
Wait til English hears we might have £2m insurance cash coming to us 🤭🤭

jacomo
08-04-2021, 11:13 PM

He will argue it should be given to Hearts without delay.

Centre Hawf
09-04-2021, 12:02 AM

"How dare Hibs make a claim on a perfectly valid insurance policy that they have no doubt been paying into for many years. Ron Gordon should think about throwing that cash to the lower leagues if he really cared."

mjhibby
09-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Heard him say as much on the radio. Him and Pressley laying into Hearts and the way they've been mismanaged in recent years with the main culprit, Levein, sitting there chipping in. Peak Sportsound again.

Very telling how levein bemoans the poor quality and lack of leaders when they were mostly from his time in charge. Funny how they think yet another clearout will sort it. It’s those running the club who’ve cocked up. In fairness to biscuits Preston he has been saying how crap they are for months and warning something must be done. The irony is both Pressley and levein were saying how well we are being run and how strong our bench is while berating the quality at the pbs. For once calling it as it is.