PDA

View Full Version : Match Stats

brog
24-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Every report I saw showed Livi as having only 1 shot on target. (I recognise the stats may come from one source only). However every report, including BBC highlights, also mentioned Rocky's excellent tip over the bar. Given Livi scored a (non og) goal they obviously had at least 2 shots on target. I know some folks on here are au fait with the stats process so I have a couple, ok 3, questions. How can stats be so obviously wrong & what level of scrutiny is provided by those using them? Is it now a historical fact that Livi only had 1 shot on target yesterday?

Peevemor
24-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Every report I saw showed Livi as having only 1 shot on target. (I recognise the stats may come from one source only). However every report, including BBC highlights, also mentioned Rocky's excellent tip over the bar. Given Livi scored a (non og) goal they obviously had at least 2 shots on target. I know some folks on here are au fait with the stats process so I have a couple, ok 3, questions. How can stats be so obviously wrong & what level of scrutiny is provided by those using them? Is it now a historical fact that Livi only had 1 shot on target yesterday?

Rocky can be pretty good at pulling off TV saves with shots that are going past/over anyway, so maybe everyone is correct.

BILLYHIBS
24-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Shots on target

HIBS 5 Livvy 1

Shots off target

HIBS 1 Livvy 6

Source :

Live Scores

Lies damn lies and statistics

BILLYHIBS
24-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Rocky can be pretty good at pulling off TV saves with shots that are going past/over anyway, so maybe everyone is correct.

This

Speedy
24-02-2020, 05:45 PM

Not sure the Rocky save was on target. Definitely worth saving rather than taking the chance but it may have been bar or above.

brog
24-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Not sure the Rocky save was on target. Definitely worth saving rather than taking the chance but it may have been bar or above.
I can't think shots on/off target are subject to that level of scrutiny. I would think any shot that's saved would count as a shot on target. I've seen the shot about 5 times now & i still can't decide!

ancient hibee
24-02-2020, 07:57 PM
R
I can't think shots on/off target are subject to that level of scrutiny. I would think any shot that's saved would count as a shot on target. I've seen the shot about 5 times now & i still can't decide!

Your days as a goalie are numbered I’m afraid.

Speedy
24-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Don't know who it is that defines the stats. Just seemed the obvious explanation. Only had one look at the replay, I'd say it was just going over.

Onceinawhile
24-02-2020, 08:42 PM
I think the shot rocky saved was hitting the bar.

brog
24-02-2020, 08:42 PM
R

Your days as a goalie are numbered I’m afraid.

You're about 50 years too late! 😁

wookie70
24-02-2020, 08:48 PM
I think the shot rocky saved was hitting the bar. So do I but it looks underside so I would say shot on target and credit the goalie with the save, albeit a very simple one.

The Harp Awakes
25-02-2020, 06:52 AM
Whether it was 1 or 2 shots at goal Livi had on target, one thing's for sure, we can't get out of the habit of conceding a high % of goals per chances created by the opposition. In truth, this has been going on for years so can't just be put down to being unlucky. We seem to have a bad habit of switching off at times during games and the Livi goal was a good example of that. Both the Dundee United SC ties were also classic examples of the opposition having few chances, but somehow managing to score goals with a high % of them.

On the positive side, it is good that we are not allowing the opposition many chances.