PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes Penalty Taker

Forza Fred
22-02-2020, 11:49 PM
My aging memory always thought that John Brownlie was basically the first choice penalty taker during this era, with Jimmy O'Rourke next in line, but in recent discussion, it was suggested this might not be the case.

Anyone of my vintage remember who was the main penalty taker during the period in question?

BFG
23-02-2020, 01:17 AM
I”m getting old but I always thought that Jimmy O’Rourke took the penalty’s

FilipinoHibs
23-02-2020, 01:45 AM
I”m getting old but I always thought that Jimmy O’Rourke took the penalty’s

Yes Jimmy took them. When he left Brownlie took over.

Forza Fred
23-02-2020, 02:55 AM
Thought it was those two;..just got the order wrong.

Mind you, I don't remember us getting a huge amount of them.

FilipinoHibs
23-02-2020, 06:39 AM
Thought it was those two;..just got the order wrong.

Mind you, I don't remember us getting a huge amount of them.

Yes can't remember many either. Much easier for blatant old firm ref bias in those days with limited ref coverage.

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 06:49 AM
Jimmy ORourke scored 17 penalties in that period

Celtic and Rangers always seemed to get pens every time they needed one usually in the last five minutes

JimBHibees
23-02-2020, 06:53 AM

Celtic and Rangers always seemed to get pens every time they needed one usually in the last five minutes

And usually when all players in the other Scottish games were in the bath.

emerald green
23-02-2020, 09:54 AM

A bit after the Tornadoes era, but the one I'll never forget is this one... I quote:

"On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the "Cowshed" when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the "normally placid" Hibs chairman Tom Hart publicly branded him (MacDonald) a cheat. Rangers won the game 2-1 and MacDonald subsequently earned himself the nickname "Polaris". Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments".

linlithgowhibbie
23-02-2020, 10:05 AM
A bit after the Tornadoes era, but the one I'll never forget is this one... I quote:

"On 7 November 1981 Rangers were awarded a penalty in front of the "Cowshed" when John MacDonald conned referee Louis Thow with a dive so outrageous that the "normally placid" Hibs chairman Tom Hart publicly branded him (MacDonald) a cheat. Rangers won the game 2-1 and MacDonald subsequently earned himself the nickname "Polaris". Hart was fined by the SFA for his comments".

I was at that game and can honestly say it was the closest I have ever been to running onto the pitch in protest, absolutely livid at the ref and McDonald:agree:

oldbutdim
23-02-2020, 10:13 AM
I was at that game and can honestly say it was the closest I have ever been to running onto the pitch in protest, absolutely livid at the ref and McDonald:agree:

If I remember correctly it was Erich who 'fouled' him, with the dive being so pathetic that he actually fell the opposite way from any 'impact'.

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 10:18 AM
If I remember correctly it was Erich who 'fouled' him, with the dive being so pathetic that he actually fell the opposite way from any 'impact'.

No. It was Benny who saw what was coming and sort of backed off him and held his arms out to show there was no contact. McDonald dived and got the penalty anyway.

From about 40s here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHjPwhAPdI

It's a pity that Gordon Rae's excellent goal is completely overlooked because of what happened later on.

Kojock
23-02-2020, 10:27 AM
No. It was Benny who saw what was coming and sort of backed off him and held his arms out to show there was no contact. McDonald dived and got the penalty anyway.

From about 40s here

It's a pity that Gordon Rae's excellent goal is completely overlooked because of what happened later on.

That’s a later one. The one mentioned was Erich Schaedler. It was an outrageous dive. Shades had a photo of it on his pub wall which read something like, “ Sport for all, Come dive with me”

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 10:34 AM
That’s a later one. The one mentioned was Erich Schaedler. It was an outrageous dive. Shades had a photo of it on his pub wall which read something like, “ Sport for all, Come dive with me”It's the same one and the poster was Sport for All - Diving and had a photo of Mcdonald in mid-air underneath. It was a parody of the Sports Council's "sport for all campaign" which had a simple wee logo for each sport.

I was often in Shades on a matchday during that period, even though I was on the youngish side.

emerald green
23-02-2020, 10:56 AM

Yep, I came close to giving up on watching Scottish football after that farce. "What's the point" I was asking myself on the way home afterwards.

Who said "cheats never win"? :rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Then Ally MacLeod arrived from Southampton who was calmness personified at penalty kicks and set pieces scoring 20 penalties

A cultured intelligent footballer he was deceptive he was slower than he looked

I remember one game versus Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the ref told him to take it again as the wa wisnae ready so he stepped up and calmly placed it into the opposite corner

Genius!

G B Young
23-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Yes Jimmy took them. When he left Brownlie took over.

Think Brownlie missed a penalty against Liverpool when we beat them 1-0 at ER in a European tie? It proved pretty crucial as we lost the second leg 3-1 IIRC.

Also in Europe, did we miss a penalty against Leeds (maybe Stanton)?

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Think Brownlie missed a penalty against Liverpool when we beat them 1-0 at ER in a European tie? It proved pretty crucial as we lost the second leg 3-1 IIRC.

Also in Europe, did we miss a penalty against Leeds (maybe Stanton)?

Turnbull also dropped Stanton for the replay which didnae help and yes Stanton hit the post with his pen meaning we lost the shoot out 4-5 and the Leeds players lost their bet on HIBS to go through allegedly 😁

Hibrandenburg
23-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Then Ally MacLeod arrived from Southampton who was calmness personified at penalty kicks and set pieces scoring 20 penalties

A cultured intelligent footballer he was deceptive he was slower than he looked

I remember one game versus Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the ref told him to take it again as the wa wisnae ready so he stepped up and calmly placed it into the opposite corner

Genius!

My first role model, I modelled my waistline on his.

wookie70
23-02-2020, 11:08 AM

There weren't many windows left in the Rangers supporters buses that night. One of the most blatant examples of Old Firm bias I have seen and was terrifying walking back to Leith Walk among the mayhem as a 13 year old

Fanforlife
23-02-2020, 11:39 AM
It's the same one and the poster was Sport for All - Diving and had a photo of Mcdonald in mid-air underneath. It was a parody of the Sports Council's "sport for all campaign" which had a simple wee logo for each sport.

I was often in Shades on a matchday during that period, even though I was on the youngish side.
McLean incident originally mentioned was during a Scottish cup replay so video put up is from the wrong game.

Lago
23-02-2020, 11:41 AM

Ah those were the days, I actually went to school with Louis Thow & took great delight in letting him know what a howler of a decision it was when I next met him.

As an aside I always thought Darren Jackson took a superb penalty while at ER.

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 11:53 AM
McLean incident originally mentioned was during a Scottish cup replay so video put up is from the wrong game.I don't know what game you're on about. The quote I responded to was about a match in November 81. The video is of that match in November 81, therefore it's definitely the correct video.

There wouldn't have been any Scottish Cup matches concerning Hibs in November.

Fanforlife
23-02-2020, 12:02 PM
My mistake m8,incident during Scottish cup tie involved john McDonald, far worse than video one with mclean,can only blame the stinking hangover 🤣 apologise profusely m8!😁

Kojock
23-02-2020, 12:03 PM
It's the same one and the poster was Sport for All - Diving and had a photo of Mcdonald in mid-air underneath. It was a parody of the Sports Council's "sport for all campaign" which had a simple wee logo for each sport.

It’s amazing how time plays trick with your mind. I was positive it was Shades who was involved. In my defence Shades remonstrates with him and the poster was in Shades pub 😂

Kato
23-02-2020, 12:05 PM
There weren't many windows left in the Rangers supporters buses that night. One of the most blatant examples of Old Firm bias I have seen and was terrifying walking back to Leith Walk among the mayhem as a 13 year oldThe next home game against them was even worse after the match, thank god that club went out of business.

Kano knew how to take a penalty. Dunno what his record was but he fairly smashed them away.

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 12:24 PM
My mistake m8,incident during Scottish cup tie involved john McDonald, far worse than video one with mclean,can only blame the stinking hangover [emoji1787] apologise profusely m8![emoji16]No bother.

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 12:27 PM
It’s amazing how time plays trick with your mind. I was positive it was Shades who was involved. In my defence Shades remonstrates with him and the poster was in Shades pub [emoji23]Memory is strange.

I can remember Hibs related stuff from the 80s far more accurately than from the 90s onward.

I think Bosman also changed things as teams/players changed far more regularly.

erin go bragh
23-02-2020, 04:47 PM
Memory is strange.

I can remember Hibs related stuff from the 80s far more accurately than from the 90s onward.

I think Bosman also changed things as teams/players changed far more regularly.
I blame the raves in the 90s 😉😃

Hermit Crab
23-02-2020, 04:49 PM
When was the last time we missed consecutive penalties in the league? I can't remember.

brog
23-02-2020, 06:20 PM
When was the last time we missed consecutive penalties in the league? I can't remember.
We missed 2 in 1 game versus Hearts in 70s & still won 2 1. Their goal was a pen!

kaimendhibs
23-02-2020, 06:26 PM
If I remember correctly it was Erich who 'fouled' him, with the dive being so pathetic that he actually fell the opposite way from any 'impact'.I heard that Erich waited for him outside and offered him a square go.
Offer was declined

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Pre Tornadoes I remember the old penalty double act of a jinking Eric Stevenson getting pulled down in the box by his man for the penalty to be efficiently dispatched by our very own Penalty King Joe Davis

Worked a treat every time ( until Hamburg home ).

Both sadly gone

RIP

brog
23-02-2020, 06:48 PM
My aging memory always thought that John Brownlie was basically the first choice penalty taker during this era, with Jimmy O'Rourke next in line, but in recent discussion, it was suggested this might not be the case.

Anyone of my vintage remember who was the main penalty taker during the period in question?

You're right Fred. In the vintage 72/73 season when we won the LC & enjoyed a certain 7 0 victory we were only awarded pens in 3 games. 2 in one league game versus Morton & 1 against Airdrie in LC & same team in league. Given we had scored 112 competitive goals at the end of New Years Day 1973 that's quite remarkable.

BILLYHIBS
25-02-2020, 07:01 AM
You're right Fred. In the vintage 72/73 season when we won the LC & enjoyed a certain 7 0 victory we were only awarded pens in 3 games. 2 in one league game versus Morton & 1 against Airdrie in LC & same team in league. Given we had scored 112 competitive goals at the end of New Years Day 1973 that's quite remarkable.

Jimmy scored four pens that season two versus Morton and two versus Airdrieonians

Alex Cropley also scored a pen versus Patrick Thistle and Johnny Hamilton scored one versus Queens Park

Source:

www.fitbastats.com

Greenbeard
25-02-2020, 09:27 AM

From about 40s here

McDonald - a player before his time. Just about every single player in the game these days would go down after that sort of minimal contact challenge. And we'd be told "he's entitled to go down".

sadtom
26-02-2020, 02:45 AM
I heard that Erich waited for him outside and offered him a square go.
Offer was declined

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That is pretty much my recollection too.
Shades tried to go for him on the park and was restrained. Then heard he tried to do him in the tunnel then also tried to board the sticky buns bus outside to get at him.

There was a camera behind the goal which showed how outrageous the dive was. But if memory serves, they chose not to use the most damning angle when discussing the 'incident' (shock).

I also remember a group of 50-100 Embra Orcs (UJ bus) who were in the East terracing up behind the 'singing area' (in front of the TV gantry). When the pen was given it all kicked off and a load of them took a right hammering.

sadtom
26-02-2020, 02:49 AM
My 1st game was 2/1/71 and Sloop scored a pen in a 2-2 draw wi Cowdenbeath.

BILLYHIBS
26-02-2020, 04:43 AM
My 1st game was 2/1/71 and Sloop scored a pen in a 2-2 draw wi Cowdenbeath.

Pretty sure Dave ( Rangers are rubbish ) Ewing was still Manager then :greengrin

oldbutdim
26-02-2020, 08:01 AM
It’s amazing how time plays trick with your mind. I was positive it was Shades who was involved. In my defence Shades remonstrates with him and the poster was in Shades pub 😂

I was equally positive - would have bet on it being Shades.
I've never seen the poster in the pub as far as I recall, so no excuses from me other than my memory is more er……..... what's the word...…………. :confused:

Liberal Hibby
26-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Yup still remember that to this day. Also remember the groans when Louis B Thow's name was read out as ref subsequently - completely hopeless/biased ref.

BILLYHIBS
26-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Yup still remember that to this day. Also remember the groans when Louis B Thow's name was read out as ref subsequently - completely hopeless/biased ref.

Bobby Davidson was also bad news for the green jerseys

I also remember Sloop telling the lineo what to do with his orange flag at Ibrox when Tommy McLean was about fifty yards offside

IberianHibernian
26-02-2020, 08:47 PM
My 1st game was 2/1/71 and Sloop scored a pen in a 2-2 draw wi Cowdenbeath.I remember that game . We`d drawn at Tynecastle only 24 hours before . For some reason the " Blue Brasil " ( when did that name start ? ) were wearing all red . We were 0v2 down at ht then fought back for draw . I remember Sloop scoring only goal against Hearts with a penalty in an East of Scotland Shield match maybe same season . Scored in front of Cave which was split 50 - 50 and led to mayhem . Tiny crowd at Cowdenbeath game , maybe 5000 . Next home game was probably v top of league Aberdeen on Joe Baker`s return when we won 2v1 in front of about 25000 , still one of my favourite Hibs memories .