PDA

View Full Version : Efe not good enough?

Hibeesmad
22-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Based on his first game in over a year today?

Smartie
22-02-2020, 09:45 PM
Maybe just me but after about 4 touches of the ball I could see he was still easily good enough.

I also think the hankering after Efe is a wee bit disrespectful to Paul McGinn who has come in and done well on the right of our back 3.

Not sure where exactly the fault lay for the goal today but we restricted them to very few opportunities and it was disappointing to give them a clear cut one for the goal.

Onceinawhile
22-02-2020, 09:47 PM
A defence containing efe conceded a goal.

A defence not containing efe also conceded a goal.

500miles
22-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Ended up getting a lot of balls into the box when we went 442.

We really should have tested him more.

HFC93
22-02-2020, 10:05 PM

Who said he wasn't good enough?

Onceinawhile
22-02-2020, 10:08 PM
who said he wasn't good enough?

JACK ROSS and the RECRUITMENT TEAM

Eyrie
22-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Maybe the decision wasn't based on his ability but on his allegedly lax approach to training. Lennon was willing to tolerate it but Ross prefers that every player is treated the same.

HFC93
22-02-2020, 10:35 PM

Do you have an inside track on negotitions between Amborose and Hibs? Last time I checked he bumped us.

Alan62
22-02-2020, 10:39 PM

I think I have their first album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baader
22-02-2020, 10:40 PM

😂

oldbutdim
22-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Do you have an inside track on negotitions between Amborose and Hibs? Last time I checked he bumped us.

Correct.

He has made it clear by his actions that he doesn’t want to be a Hibs man.

That’s good enough for me, and his pretend injury near the end makes me care less.

The 90+2
22-02-2020, 10:46 PM
Correct.

He has made it clear by his actions that he doesn’t want to be a Hibs man.

That’s good enough for me, and his pretend injury near the end makes me care less.

Neither did Scott Allan. Ambrose should be a Hibs player.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2020, 10:58 PM

Prove it.

chrisski33
22-02-2020, 11:17 PM

Says who? Noone!

Viva_Palmeiras
22-02-2020, 11:44 PM
“you just wouldnt let it lie...” 😀

tonyrougier123
22-02-2020, 11:46 PM

😂😂

Brooster
22-02-2020, 11:53 PM
Was always late for training, sometimes he never turned up, always a no show at supporters events. Left us are the drop of a hat when he seen the pound signs. Not really liked by his teammates. Leave him where he is.

easty
23-02-2020, 12:09 AM
Was always late for training, sometimes he never turned up, always a no show at supporters events. Left us are the drop of a hat when he seen the pound signs. Not really liked by his teammates. Leave him where he is.

Exactly.

Ambrose wasn’t the difference between 1 or 3 points for us today anyway

tonyrougier123
23-02-2020, 12:31 AM
Still exactly the type of player we needed at the back,now contracted to a rival.our defending looks desperate most games constantly looks under pressure and rarely comfortable to watch.mcginn is a very decent signing, reliable signing.but as a unit needs to be better at the back.guys like efe don't come cheap.

givescotlandfreedom
23-02-2020, 01:50 AM
He was good at pretending he had a head knock when Boyle had the ball in a dangerous position in stoppage time.

FilipinoHibs
23-02-2020, 02:48 AM
Near the end of the game Doidge left him for dead down the Hibs left. Efe threw himself to the ground. The ref bought it and gave a free kick to Livi, saving them from a dangerous situation.

Brightside
23-02-2020, 04:58 AM
Near the end of the game Doidge left him for dead down the Hibs left. Efe threw himself to the ground. The ref bought it and gave a free kick to Livi, saving them from a dangerous situation.

Correct. Cheat.

JimBHibees
23-02-2020, 06:50 AM

Or they have a finite budget and getting him in when we have Porto to come back and Daz still able to play was not the best use of the budget. Tend to agree.

greenlex
23-02-2020, 06:54 AM
Or they have a finite budget and getting him in when we have Porto to come nack and Daz still able to play was not the best use of the budget. Tend to agree.

Yup the Midfield was the priority in January and was addressed with Omeonga and Docherty. Add in Ambroses’ previous and we get to where we are.

JimBHibees
23-02-2020, 06:59 AM
Yup the Midfield was the priority in January and was addressed with Omeonga and Docherty. Add in Ambroses’ previous and we get to where we are.

Agree totally. Lennon also had a relationship with him that JR wont have but personally if he was unreliable off the pitch not a great role model in terms of the standards of the squad and especially in relation to younger players.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 07:13 AM
He would be our best right back

murray26
23-02-2020, 07:36 AM
It’s time to move on .. we didn’t get him for whatever reason but I really don’t think it’s going to define our season..

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Said on the other thread that I thought he had put on a few pounds which you would expect looked slower which you would also expect almost had an Efe moment in the first couple of minutes but sold a HIBS player a dummy and managed to get away with it apart from that he did ok

I felt we should have tried to exploit the fact that he has been out for 14 months more by putting him under pressure even Slivka skinned him on one occasion 😁 but looks a good signing for them and will only improve with further minutes and training

Not that fussed he did not come back we will be fine

Not good enough?

I would take him yes

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2020, 07:44 AM

'Winter Shutdown' was decent. Also liked 'The Boys Can Push On From Here.' Wasn't so keen on 'Injuries and Suspensions.'

DaveF
23-02-2020, 07:46 AM
Couldn't care less about Ambrose. If Livi want to put up with his half arsed attitude then good for them. He got no applause from me yesterday when he was trying to take the acclaim from the west stand.

Northernhibee
23-02-2020, 07:47 AM

I think your keyboard is broken, it keeps putting random words in capitals. Might want to get it looked at.

GreenCastle
23-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Yup - good player but obviously we are trying to have standards which others also follow.

He hardly broke sweat yesterday - is still a fantastic football player and yes he would add something to our team but obviously a decision was made.

He gave the east a clap at the start of the game but obviously the less pressure situation of Livi suits what he wants.

Since452
23-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Can't wait till John McGinn moves to Man United so we can have a go at Jack Ross for not trying to get him back. There's a mental obsession with wanting our ex players back on here. Even Ambrose who didn't give a **** about us and activated his release clause to get away

Tully
23-02-2020, 08:55 AM
The same efe who blatantly cheated in the final minute when we were on the break by claiming he was fouled, livi player now no interest to me ,let's support who wears the jersey not ones who left at the blink of an eye for money

Speedway
23-02-2020, 09:14 AM
If Efe really is ‘31’ then that’s the hardest childhood paper round of all time.

Steve20
23-02-2020, 09:19 AM
He would easily be our best defender if he was at the club. No doubt about it.

Northernhibee
23-02-2020, 09:21 AM
He would easily be our best defender if he was at the club. No doubt about it.

Then why did nobody else want him
in the last thirteen months?

He could have stayed, left us high and dry and feigned having been fouled in the last minute. **** him.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 09:25 AM
Correct. Cheat.

Burn the witch.

Keith_M
23-02-2020, 09:26 AM
How anybody at Hibs thought he wouldn't be a useful addition is beyond me.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 09:27 AM
Then why did nobody else want him
in the last thirteen months?

He could have stayed, left us high and dry and feigned having been fouled in the last minute. **** him.

He is still more than capable in getting in our bombscare defence.

He could have stayed, so could Scott Allan, Ian Murray, Riordan and others that left us for zero. Hardly ****ing treason.

ScottB
I don’t really get the love in. He walked out on us to essentially sit on his hands for a year. We’ve crucified players for less yet folk are falling over themselves for him to

Robbo6-2
Efe was brilliant signing for us at the time and will probably do well at Livy.

However he should us absolutely no loyalty whatsoever and bumped the club when we needed him.

His actions were just as bad as Kamberis imo. Glad he is nowhere near us

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 09:28 AM
How anybody at Hibs thought he wouldn't be a useful addition is beyond me.

He hadn’t played in 700 months or some **** like that. Probably the same reason the same posters said Shankland wasn’t good enough because nobody else wanted him.

calumhibee1
23-02-2020, 09:29 AM
I don’t really get the love in. He walked out on us to essentially sit on his hands for a year. We’ve crucified players for less yet folk are falling over themselves for him to

He walked out on us and went to the Championship. He’s sat on his arse after that, but that’s not why he left us.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Efe was brilliant signing for us at the time and will probably do well at Livy.

However he should us absolutely no loyalty whatsoever and bumped the club when we needed him.

His actions were just as bad as Kamberis imo. Glad he is nowhere near us

What about if Lennon got us a player miles better above the usual level because he wanted to play and stay long enough to get a visa/permit to become a UK citizen and he signed on the understanding once that was complete he could look after his best interests and try to get a club at a higher level?

Brightside
23-02-2020, 09:34 AM
We missed a trick not moving Boyle over to his side. He’d have been left on his back side multiple times. Unfortunately we had Stevenson on his side so he basically had a wee holiday come back. Made about 4 interceptions the whole game.

emerald green
23-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Efe Ambrose - decent player or "bomb scare". Take your pick.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 09:43 AM
If Efe really is ‘31’ then that’s the hardest childhood paper round of all time.

Tactical master class letting him have a wee stroll yesterday then. Maybe he got under rated by our management/recruitment?

Feed McGraw
23-02-2020, 09:59 AM
We missed a trick not moving Boyle over to his side. He’d have been left on his back side multiple times. Unfortunately we had Stevenson on his side so he basically had a wee holiday come back. Made about 4 interceptions the whole game. Said this at the game, was the obvious thing to do, especially with him being out for so long.

CapitalGreen
23-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Said this at the game, was the obvious thing to do, especially with him being out for so long.

You think the obvious thing to do would be to play a player on his weaker side up against the oppositions best defender?

Brightside
23-02-2020, 10:12 AM
You think the obvious thing to do would be to play a player on his weaker side up against the oppositions best defender?

Yes. Efe cannot handle pace. We should have changed the system and put Boyle up top replacing Sparky.

oldbutdim
23-02-2020, 10:16 AM
He walked out on us and went to the Championship. He’s sat on his arse after that, but that’s not why he left us.

Did he?

I thought he walked out without a club to go to, and later fixed up a deal.

Why did he leave us then?
:confused:

Northernhibee
23-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Did he?

Yep. Baffling that anyone would call him a legend when he couldn’t wait to get out of here quickly enough. Goodness knows what clauses he has in his Livi contract but he’s not left us in a respectful manner.

Feed McGraw
23-02-2020, 10:18 AM
You think the obvious thing to do would be to play a player on his weaker side up against the oppositions best defender? Absolutely ! He has been swapped over to that side at times already this season and right sided wingers are often used " to cut inside" - in fact, Boyle scored a great goal against Livi this season doing exactly that. It was worth a try against a " ring rusty" Ambrose who had a nice, easy afternoon.

BoomtownHibees
23-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Absolutely ! He has been swapped over to that side at times already this season and right sided wingers are often used " to cut inside" - in fact, Boyle scored a great goal against Livi this season doing exactly that. It was worth a try against a " ring rusty" Ambrose who had a nice, easy afternoon.

That’s fine if he is playing as a winger, where he can swap with the winger on the other side. Yesterday he was playing as a wing back. Who would he have swapped with, Stevenson? Only other way would have been to change from a shape that has served us well over the last couple of games which I didn’t think was necessary

KingPat4
23-02-2020, 10:26 AM
All this talk of Efe is getting boring. He came, he played, he did ok, then he left.

Can we move on please?

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Absolutely ! He has been swapped over to that side at times already this season and right sided wingers are often used " to cut inside" - in fact, Boyle scored a great goal against Livi this season doing exactly that. It was worth a try against a " ring rusty" Ambrose who had a nice, easy afternoon.

He really didn't. He ran on to a lucky punt.

Boyle is a right winger, nothing more, nothing less. Ambrose had an easy afternoon because he is an excellent footballer. He would've pocketed an out of position Boyle easily.

CapitalGreen
23-02-2020, 10:31 AM
All this talk of Efe is getting boring. He came, he played, he did ok, then he left.

Can we move on please?

If you’re bored of reading about Efe, maybe stop opening threads with his name in the title?

Feed McGraw
23-02-2020, 10:31 AM
He really didn't. He ran on to a lucky punt.

Boyle is a right winger, nothing more, nothing less. Ambrose had an easy afternoon because he is an excellent footballer. He would've pocketed an out of position Boyle easily. I was talking about the position he scored from. Well, somebody is telling me he is a right wing back too. It was worth a try against Ambrose who has been out the game for ages. Nothing was working anyway.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 10:33 AM
I was talking about the position he scored from. Well, somebody is telling me he is a right wing back too. It was worth a try against Ambrose who has been out the game for ages. Nothing was working anyway.

He scored 1v1 with the goalie, very different from cutting inside and scoring.

Feed McGraw
23-02-2020, 10:34 AM
That’s fine if he is playing as a winger, where he can swap with the winger on the other side. Yesterday he was playing as a wing back. Who would he have swapped with, Stevenson? Only other way would have been to change from a shape that has served us well over the last couple of games which I didn’t think was necessary You`re right and I do get that but maybe it was worth changing things, the shape wasn`t working yesterday imho.

Captain Trips
23-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Why stop at Efe why not be pissed off at every player we have not tried to buy? there must be 1000s.

Feed McGraw
23-02-2020, 10:40 AM
He scored 1v1 with the goalie, very different from cutting inside and scoring. I think you get what I mean and iirc he was 1v1 but coming in from the left. My point is or I should say, my opinion is, things were not working and I would like to have seen Ambrose ( good player that he is) up against genuine pace after over a year out the game.

Brightside
23-02-2020, 10:47 AM
That’s fine if he is playing as a winger, where he can swap with the winger on the other side. Yesterday he was playing as a wing back. Who would he have swapped with, Stevenson? Only other way would have been to change from a shape that has served us well over the last couple of games which I didn’t think was necessary

The shape didn’t work yesterday. We struggled to break down the 2 banks of 4.

BoomtownHibees
23-02-2020, 10:51 AM
The shape didn’t work yesterday. We struggled to break down the 2 banks of 4.

It was working fine up until we lost the goal imo. And then I think we changed it not long after that anyway and then almost immediately changed it back again

Pretty Boy
23-02-2020, 11:00 AM
I absolutely respect people's opinion on why someone would or wouldn't be a good signing for us but the revisionist crap does my head in.

McGeouch had 'one good season', Efe was 'ok' for half a season. I think it's just people being intentionally contrary as many of the same faces try to put a positive spin on guys who were, frankly, crap for us.

Efe was outstanding for us in his time here. Yes it wasn't great how he left and yes his attitude may not be what we are looking for in a player. Does that mean we have to totally trash the performances he did put in when he was here?

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 11:16 AM
I absolutely respect people's opinion on why someone would or wouldn't be a good signing for us but the revisionist crap does my head in.

McGeouch had 'one good season', Efe was 'ok' for half a season. I think it's just people being intentionally contrary as many of the same faces try to put a positive spin on guys who were, frankly, crap for us.

Efe was outstanding for us in his time here. Yes it wasn't great how he left and yes his attitude may not be what we are looking for in a player. Does that mean we have to totally trash the performances he did put in when he was here?

Agree played like a man possessed in his last match for us like he knew this would be his last game totally outstanding driving us forward at every opportunity a match we unfortunately lost 0-1

Speedy
23-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Great player right of a back 3. Would be an improvement on McGinn. That said I'm not too bothered that he's not with us, left on a negative and we need to look to the future.

calumhibee1
23-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Did he?

If he didn’t leave us in January then he wouldn’t have been going anywhere. He may have signed for Derby at a later date than we would have expected, but he wouldn’t have been able to do that had he stayed.

KingPat4
23-02-2020, 11:29 AM
If you’re bored of reading about Efe, maybe stop opening threads with his name in the title?

Ah! Never thought of that.

Many thanks.

Lago
23-02-2020, 11:31 AM
What difference does it make, he's not at ER end of story.

hibbysam
23-02-2020, 11:57 AM

He also wouldn’t have us keeping clean sheet after clean sheet right now though, nobody seems to have any ‘neutral’ opinions on the situation, it’s all either ‘board are useless, our defence is *****, efe is a god and would solve the lot’ or ‘efe is a bombscare who didn’t care for the club’.

jacomo
23-02-2020, 12:21 PM
He also wouldn’t have us keeping clean sheet after clean sheet right now though, nobody seems to have any ‘neutral’ opinions on the situation, it’s all either ‘board are useless, our defence is *****, efe is a god and would solve the lot’ or ‘efe is a bombscare who didn’t care for the club’.

Not sure this is correct.

Lots of fans see his qualities but are angry at him for leaving.

Others like me are more forgiving of footballers making selfish or bad decisions but understand if his attitude is seen as too detrimental to the camp.

ekhibee
23-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Quite liked Ambrose, he was a personality. Thought he was quite good for us but made some whopping mistakes as well. Right now our defence is pretty poor else there wouldn't be a 3 or 4 page thread about a player who was quite happy to leave us. McGeouch did the same and neither of them have done anything of note since. Whether the two players would make a difference now I don't know, but fans are perfectly entitled to say let's move on, it's all about opinions.

CapitalGreen
23-02-2020, 01:07 PM

This is nonsense, there is plenty people who have posted on this thread saying they rate Ambrose without mentioning the board or the standard of our defence.

hibbysam
23-02-2020, 01:35 PM
This is nonsense, there is plenty people who have posted on this thread saying they rate Ambrose without mentioning the board or the standard of our defence.

It’s all over social media about efe ‘sorting out our defence’ and how unbelievable it is that we didn’t get him as our defence is a ‘shambles’.

oldbutdim
23-02-2020, 01:46 PM
If he didn’t leave us in January then he wouldn’t have been going anywhere. He may have signed for Derby at a later date than we would have expected, but he wouldn’t have been able to do that had he stayed.

So I was correct then.
He walked without a deal.

Cheers.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 02:42 PM

Agree. It’s weird. As well as saying Stevenson was okay and Hanlon outstanding. Posters didn’t want Cummings back because we had Shaw. It’s alright to overrate your team but belittling the contribution of Ambrose and McGeough while saying Slivka or Hallberg are good enough is mental.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 02:43 PM
So I was correct then.
He walked without a deal.

Cheers.

I suppose are least Riordan, Caldwell and Murray walked away with a deal.

greenlex
23-02-2020, 03:03 PM
I suppose are least Riordan, Caldwell and Murray walked away with a deal.
They didn’t walk out part way through their contract like Ambrose did.

Since452
23-02-2020, 03:35 PM
Efe jumped ship because he knew the writing was on the wall with Lennon and the next manager wouldn't let him away with murder. That's how it looked to me anyway.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Efe jumped ship because he knew the writing was on the wall with Lennon and the next manager wouldn't let him away with murder. That's how it looked to me anyway.

If he continued the form he was in Hecky would've been a moron not to let him "away with murder"

Calidad
23-02-2020, 03:46 PM

I think he probably just left because he felt he could get more money elsewhere (England). I’m pretty sure he wanted his ILR so he was always going to stay in the UK.

I don’t think he had any sort of attachment to the club beyond Lennon. He was largely a good performer for us, but hardly irreplaceable. He didn’t want to stay and he’s not worth all this fuss.

When Porteous is back, we’ll have good options in that RCB position.

Weegreenman
23-02-2020, 03:51 PM
Efe always looks super cool when under any kind of pressure, nearly always slipping his way out of a tight spot.
He does make the odd mistake and it’s usually costly but that doesn’t happen often.
He is a maverick type of player, he’s not great at helping build an attack.

He was loved by the fans and then chose to exercise a clause in his contract midway through the season.

I personally wouldn’t have him back.

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Efe always looks super cool when under any kind of pressure, nearly always slipping his way out of a tight spot.
He does make the odd mistake and it’s usually costly but that doesn’t happen often.

He was loved by the fans and then chose to exercise a clause in his contract midway through the season.

Are you joking, he's terrific at doing just that????????????????????

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Indeed.

I also struggle to think of many costly mistakes. He made less costly mistakes than all other defenders he played with so why are they never labeled like that?

Nicho87
23-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Absolutely strolled it

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 04:10 PM

His major strength was dragging us up the park with his mazy runs the only problem was that no one knew what he was going to do next not even him

Just think back to his last game versus Hearts he instigated attack after attack from the right back position

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Another thing about Efe, he must be a naturally fit man or he has indeed trained hard.

How many times do we sign someone who's not played for a while and we hear how he's not ready yet, but he's not kicked a ball in a year and goes straight in as if he's never been away.

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 04:38 PM
They didn’t walk out part way through their contract like Ambrose did.

Didn’t they bump Hibs then?

The 90+2
23-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Probably his best attribute 😁😁

BILLYHIBS
23-02-2020, 04:39 PM
Another thing about Efe, he must be a naturally fit man or he has indeed trained hard.

How many times do we sign someone who's not played for a while and we hear how he's not ready yet, but he's not kicked a ball in a year and goes straight in as if he's never been away.

Correct

By all accounts didn’t even bother training under Lenny and was still our best player 😁

Peevemor
23-02-2020, 04:49 PM
In an interview last week, JR was asked about Efe potentially playing yesterday. He basically said that he doesn't know Efe and whether he played or not had no effect on what we're doing at Hibs

I wish some fans would just accept this and move on.

oldbutdim
23-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Didn’t they bump Hibs then?

No.

I think you’re just being argumentative for the sake of it now.
It’s a bit silly.

jacomo
23-02-2020, 05:35 PM
In an interview last week, JR was asked about Efe potentially playing yesterday. He basically said that he doesn't know Efe and whether he played or not had no effect on what we're doing at Hibs

I wish some fans would just accept this and move on.

JR speaks well in public but gives very, very little away.

I doubt we will ever know exactly why we didn’t want Efe back, but I agree that we just need to move on.

Hermit Crab
23-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Pipe and slippers on yesterday. Strolled it.

w pilton hibby
23-02-2020, 06:00 PM
JR speaks well in public but gives very, very little away.

I doubt we will ever know exactly why we didn’t want Efe back, but I agree that we just need to move on.

What makes you think the club didn't want Efe back? Perhaps Efe didn't want to come back.

Weegreenman
23-02-2020, 08:11 PM

You cannot be serious, can you? Opinions eh 🤪

Weegreenman
23-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Pipe and slippers on yesterday. Strolled it.

He wasn’t wearing slippers when he sloped off mid season, it was more like Nike Air.

Why on earth anyone would want him back after the way he left is beyond me. Plenty other players out there that have more loyalty.

Eyrie
23-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Ambrose left Hibs on 4 January and started a trial with Derby on 8 February.

So he left us with nothing lined up and it took him five weeks to find a new club. Add that to the stories about his training and it's easy to see why Hibs would be reluctant to have him back.

I liked him when he was here, but not enough to welcome him back given the above.

Radium
23-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Thought McGinn had the better game.